Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Near Seattle
I have been experimenting using bluetooth on my MacBook Pro to connect with my brothers RAZR and my dads BlackBerry. I am going to get a new phone soon, and am wondering what I need to use a phone as a bluetooth modem to connect anywhere? Can I get unlimited data coverage like my dad has on his BlackBerry? What carriers offer this service. Thanks guys,
Sam

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Verizon + cingular I know offer it. You can either buy a card from them or use your phone to bluetooth wirelessly connect. Youll get better dl speeds form the physical card (around 300kb at avg in the city) But costs are HIGH, usually at 59.00 all the way to 110.00.
-dsm

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Really, though, I'd suggest spending the extra money on a pcmci (or pcmcia) card and getting web service from Verizon. It probably wouldn't cost that much more than your dialup fees, and I KNOW it is a ton faster...

But yeah. I played with it (using cell phone for internet connection) when I tour managed a couple years ago. It was expensive to add it to my service.

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
i just went in to sprint the other day to see how much it would be to activate the "data plan" on my evdo bluetooth sprint phone....40 bucks a month for 20mb of data! thats OUTRAGEOUS. other companies have unlimited data for that much. the card for evdo at sprint was just as much...

go with a card though,, its way faster just because of the throughput on bluetooth hinders it

misam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Near Seattle
Since the MacBook Pro doesn't have a PC card slot I don't think a card is possible. Does anyone know if there is an express card from any service provider?

Lyserjic

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2005
Houston, TX
Try T-Mobile. We have a specialized application at work in which we use Nokia 66xx series Bluetooth enabled phones as modems with a Windows CE type device. Our data speed requirements are not extreme however, and "dial-up" speeds are more than adequate for our needs.

The T-Mobile data/internet ONLY service is like $29 a month, unlimited. We have no voice plan with the phones, so a voice call is like $0.25/min.

Setting it up was a bit tricky, T-Mobile tech support was useless, Google was quite helpful. ;)

Not sure what other plans T-Mobile has. Their data service in my area (Houston/SE Texas) has been great.

-Lyserjic

macsrockmysocks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Will it cost money to use my RAZR from Cingular to use it as a modem for my computer? I just want to see it in action:rolleyes:

Dyuta

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2006
If your carrier is Verizon and you're in a Vcast area, you can get DSL speeds without a monthly charge. The catch is, it uses your airtime. I use my Motorola e815 to connect via BT as a BT modem.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If you're on a plan that gives you for example "10 free hours per month" then it'll eat into those "free" hours when you're connected to the Internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.