Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

echristie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
My bank (National Irish Bank) has recently upgraded their online banking and now I cannot access it!

I am running OS10.2.8 and Firefox 1.0.5. It seems there is a Java problem and their helpline believe I need to update/upgrade Java. I have tried changing the Firefox settings, but that all seems to be OK – but maybe it isn’t. This is not the first time I have encountered a Java error message
[Javascript_Version 1.5 OK
Java Not OK - Your security settings do not permit the use of Java or support for Java has not been installed].

I have looked at http://www.java.com/en/download/apple_manual.jsp to see if I can update anything, but I can’t see what or how. (see attached)

Any suggestions.
Hopefully
eileen

Attachments

• java problem.pdf
    53.1 KB · Views: 185

echristie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
dynetk said:
It looks as if you need to update your version of Firefox and maybe your Java VM.

I am already using the latest version of Firefox. what is Java VM ????

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The Java VM (virtual machine) is what actually runs Java code on your system.

I am not sure what the latest version available for Jaguar (OS X 10.2) is at the moment. The error code suggests that maybe Firefox isn't set up to accept Java. I have 1.5, not 1.05, but in 1.5 and likely in your version there is a preference (Preferences->Content) to enable Java. Is that checked on your system?

See attachment....

Attachments

• FirefoxJavaPref.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 135

echristie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
jsw said:
The Java VM (virtual machine) is what actually runs Java code on your system.

I am not sure what the latest version available for Jaguar (OS X 10.2) is at the moment. The error code suggests that maybe Firefox isn't set up to accept Java. I have 1.5, not 1.05, but in 1.5 and likely in your version there is a preference (Preferences->Content) to enable Java. Is that checked on your system?

See attachment....

Yip, all boxes checked as per your attachment :confused:

dynetk

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Guess I should've made myself more clear :p

Looking at the screenshot that you posted your browser is not supported.

They do not support 1.0.5 they support 1.5.1 and up. Updating your browser to the latest version should fix it.

echristie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
dynetk said:
Guess I should've made myself more clear :p

Looking at the screenshot that you posted your browser is not supported.

They do not support 1.0.5 they support 1.5.1 and up. Updating your browser to the latest version should fix it.

... and I should check what I am typing more carefully..... I am already using Firefox 1.5.0.2

Back to the drawing board again.:mad:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Looks like Java isn't installed.

Just to be sure, open up Applications->Utilities->Terminal.

In the window, type:
Code:
java -version
and hit return.

If you have it, something will show up telling you which version is installed. If not, you'll get a reply saying 'command not found'.

dynetk

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2006
Sacramento, CA
echristie said:
... and I should check what I am typing more carefully..... I am already using Firefox 1.5.0.2

Back to the drawing board again.:mad:

That is strange the pdf you attached the site actually detects you as running 1.0.5. Try making sure you're running the right version. It could be that you have both versions on your computer and that you are linking to the old one.

echristie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
jsw said:
Looks like Java isn't installed.

Just to be sure, open up Applications->Utilities->Terminal.

In the window, type:
Code:
java -version
and hit return.

If you have it, something will show up telling you which version is installed. If not, you'll get a reply saying 'command not found'.

this is what came up.....

Last login: Tue May 2 15:50:06 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[Eileen-Christies-Computer:~] eileenchristie% java -version
java version "1.4.1_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-69.1)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-24, mixed mode)
[Eileen-Christies-Computer:~] eileenchristie%

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Ah, I missed the PDF (duh).

Java is running, as per the PDF (edit: and your post above). It does look like it's just a case of running the wrong Firefox.

echristie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
kingjr3 said:
Just call the bank, they may be able to help.

They only have tested on Tiger, so you could be out of luck...Time to upgrade.

Funnily enough I have already had about 17 conversations with the bank! What has changed today is that their systems are now detecting I am running everything I should be ---- but it still doesn't work. (Well, why it thinks I don't have Adobe is a complete mystery!)

Attachments

• check your computer NEW.pdf
    29.4 KB · Views: 118

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
echristie said:
yes, Adobe Reader 7.0.7 :)
Just to be sure: that's the plugin, and not the standalone? I mean, if you use Firefox and surf to a link to a PDF file, does it open in Firefox?

Edit: like this.

echristie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
jsw said:
Just to be sure: that's the plugin, and not the standalone? I mean, if you use Firefox and surf to a link to a PDF file, does it open in Firefox?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. All PDF files open in Adobe Reader 7.0.7 or if I need to modify a file I use an older full version (5.0.5). Nothing opens in Firefox

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Glad you solved the problem, and sorry I didn't see your earlier post.

You can get a plugin for Firefox (from Adobe) so that it will open PDF files within the browser - I think that's what your bank was checking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.