PDA

View Full Version : Apple MacBook in May?

MacRumors
May 3, 2006, 11:07 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Thinksecret reiterates (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0605briefly.html) that the long awaited Intel-version of the Apple iBook, which has come to be known as the "MacBook" is still expected in May.

We have kept track of all rumors (http://guides.macrumors.com/Intel_iBook_%28Rumored%29) surrounding the upcoming Intel iBook in our Guide pages (http://guides.macrumors.com/).

In summary, one of the earliest reports (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/11/20051104195840.shtml) did claim that the upcoming Intel iBook would house a 13" form-factor and be expected in April-May of 2006. Followup rumors suggested (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/12/20051212054056.shtml) that the screen would be 13.3" and offer a 1280x720 resolution screen.

While some expected (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/12/20051219123900.shtml) the new computer to appear at Macworld in January, only the MacBook Pro and Intel iMac were released at that time. Overall, many features of the MacBook (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/01/20060127212237.shtml) are expected to be comparable to the MacBook Pro, with the inclusion of iSight, Front Row, Photo Booth, and MagSafe. Finally there have been suggestions (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060411234255.shtml) of a significant redesign for the iBook-replacement with the possibility of the reintroduction of color choices.

yoda13
May 3, 2006, 11:09 AM
Come on black and dedicated graphics chipset....:D

4God
Well, it's about time. :rolleyes: I think we've waited long enough.

rxse7en
I'll take one. After I get my 17"er with Merom and sell off my Pismos and AL 'book! :D

Kingsly
May 3, 2006, 11:10 AM
Wow thinksecret is really milking this thing, eh?

gropo
May 3, 2006, 11:14 AM
I find that re-branding highly unlikely... Why would Apple work against the 'iPod branding halo' by changing the name of their entry-level notebooks?

muzikool
May 3, 2006, 11:15 AM
If it were announced this month, what are the chances it would be shipping immediately?

QPlot
May 3, 2006, 11:15 AM
i only wish they'll look like powerbook :D

Jesus
May 3, 2006, 11:17 AM
I've been wanting a new laptop for ages, to replace my old TiBook, the sooner the better, as long as it has a long battery life and independant graphics. To use a quote I once saw on these forums:

My credit card just leapt out of my wallet like a spawning salmon.

firsttube
May 3, 2006, 11:17 AM
I find that re-branding highly unlikely... Why would Apple work against the 'iPod branding halo' by changing the name of their entry-level notebooks?

They're going to keep the iBook name. There might be some macbook 13" too, but they're going to keep iBook for the consumer notebook. Mark my words, or I'll eat something gross or something. :D

monkeyandy
May 3, 2006, 11:18 AM

mmm...powerbook - macbook pro ring a bell? very unlikely they would change the name of the iBook...

KindredMAC
May 3, 2006, 11:22 AM
Come on Apple....
I've got $400 on an Apple Gift Card waiting and will be getting at least another $300 total next week for my birthday. Give me a $999 model and it will be ordered on the day it comes out!!!!!!

4God
May 3, 2006, 11:22 AM

Hmmm.... good point, never thought of that. But maybe they're thinking that with iLife, (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto and iWeb) that rebranding the hardware won't really matter. There would still be that cool relationship with the popular software.

mpw
May 3, 2006, 11:23 AM
Flash of inspiration, (and like all good flashes there's sure to be a good reason why it obviously isn't workable) maybe the move to having Mac in the name of all hardware products running OSX is so the 'i' brand can be fully cross platform. The iPod already is so Apple would just release iLife for Windows and of course the iPhone will sync with both OSs. What do you think am iRight?

esaleris
Come on black and dedicated graphics chipset....

I don't think there's a possible way for them to have dedicated graphics in the MacBook, particularly if it consolidates the iBook and 12" PowerBook lines. Look at it this way - the education/home market is a huge part of Apple's business. HUGE. In order to hit that market, they're going to have to be in the $1000 or less price range.

Now, if they include decent dedicated graphics, you're looking at something that gets closer to the MBP, for about 1/2 the price. The lowest-end mobile ATI X300 is a pretty darned good card in my book, and Apple would have a hard time convincing people other than hardcore users - think kids, grandma, aunt & uncle - that the X1600 + 2" more of real estate is worth $1000. We know the difference; they target market doesn't. And the difference between crappy dedicated graphics and the Intel solution isn't that big to warrant the extra cost.

In using integrated, they are clearly segmenting the market and forcing people to make the jump to the MBP if they want something that does dedicated graphics.

Spartacus
I think the most reliable rumor surrounding this introduction is that the Macbook will replace both the current iBook and 12" Powerbook computers. There was WAY too many similarities between the iBook and the 12" Powerbook to justify the higher Powerbook cost for many consumers (myself among them).

With that said, don't worry about integrated graphics! There will surely be multiple configurations, and if there are, the high end one will surely have dedicated graphics to attract Prosumers with mobility on their mind.

My guess is that we will be getting pretty close to the computer we have been wanting from Apple in a 13" widescreen, it just may cost a little more than we were hoping (ie $1400-$1500). As with everything else, if you're willing to spend the cash, you'll get what you want.

Peace!

tekriter
May 3, 2006, 11:24 AM
the built-in iSight means almost anyone who works in a secure area, such as a military base, defense contractor, even many ad agencies will NOT be allowed to have one on the premises.

My office has a strict no-cameras policy, even cell phone cameras are not allowed.

Macnoviz
May 3, 2006, 11:24 AM
Not again...:mad:

So we continue our intel iBook saga with yet another rumor.
I have been waiting almost a year for this, but somewhere in February I lost all confidence in these sort of rumors.

I will believe it when I see it on the Apple site, or when Steve Jobs comes to deliver it to me personally.:rolleyes:

These are the only two situations I will believe it is finally there.

shawnce
May 3, 2006, 11:25 AM

People know iPod because of the market buzz it has achieved (it truly has become part of the vernacular), they are starting to know Mac then ever before, they don't really know iBook (Mac is far more known then iBook).

Apple is heading to leverage "Mac" as its computer branding... so expect a rebrand of any computer that doesn't contain "Mac" in the name.

dashiel
May 3, 2006, 11:25 AM
apple's kind of screwed here with merom chips coming august now. it's either release the macbook with the dual-core yonahs and hope it doesn't eat to much in to the pro sales (or piss off people who just plunked down $2000 for a pro machine). or release a single core now that will get trounced by other $1000 notebooks and go dual-core in august.

i'm guessing they're holding off as long as possible so they can go dual core.

hang on to your hats mac people, after years of processor stagnation it looks like we're about to enter a period of expedited "obsolescence". the macbook pro you bought 6 months ago will be available as a macbook for $1000 less and a new pro will be available with 40% performance increase.

i guess it's a good problem to have, but you better believe there's going to be a deluge of whiny "but i just bought X when i could have waited and bought Y for less"

kresh
May 3, 2006, 11:27 AM

I don't think there's a snowballs chance for there to be dedicated graphics, and not the Intelgrated graphics like the Mini.

Its going to be one of the big differentiators between the new iBook/MacBook and the MacBook Pro.

Macnoviz
May 3, 2006, 11:27 AM
the built-in iSight means almost anyone who works in a secure area, such as a military base, defense contractor, even many ad agencies will NOT be allowed to have one on the premises.

My office has a strict no-cameras policy, even cell phone cameras are not allowed.

That never stopped the producers of cellphones, if you were hoping that Apple releases a seperate model without iSight
Is an integrated microphone allowed

One more thing: Apple is very strict on secrecy, so do THEY allow integrated cameras for their workers???:rolleyes: :D

nagromme
May 3, 2006, 11:28 AM
For my needs, 13" widescreen, dual cores, and GPU with VRAM, would be great!

For masses of other shoppers, 13" with single core and integrated graphics, at a low price point, would sell like crazy.

Let's hope we see something at both ends of that scale.

azentropy
I find it more unlikely that the "iBook" would be the only Macintosh without the name "Mac" in it. So I say it is more likely to be MacBook, but I have a hunch it is going to be called iMacbook...

firsttube
I will believe it when I see it on the Apple site, or when Steve Jobs comes to deliver it to me personally.:rolleyes:

Word on the grapevine is that Steve is delivering every single of these models by hand! :D

monkeyandy
May 3, 2006, 11:30 AM
Flash of inspiration, (and like all good flashes there's sure to be a good reason why it obviously isn't workable) maybe the move to having Mac in the name of all hardware products running OSX is so the 'i' brand can be fully cross platform. The iPod already is so Apple would just release iLife for Windows and of course the iPhone will sync with both OSs. What do you think am iRight?

Definately not. They would never realease iLife for Windows. That would just be silly!:D

peharri
May 3, 2006, 11:31 AM
Am I the only one who keeps reading that as "Come on black and white graphics chipset" whenever it's quoted?

I think a May release is possible, but it will be at an event, of the type Steve can make a Stevenote at. That probably means a one-off press conference (the only show on the horizon is the E3 thing, and it seems an unlikely venue.)

BTW all those saying they'll buy it the day it comes out... what if it's crap? I mean, what if the $999 model has Intel Integrated Graphics, 256Mb of RAM, a Combo drive, 40Gb HD, a 1.5GHz Core Solo, and no firewire ports or built-in Wifi?

Personally I suspect it'll have firewire, and maybe half a gig of RAM, but the rest of the spec isn't that unlikely.

mpw
May 3, 2006, 11:33 AM
Definately not. They would never realease iLife for Windows. That would just be silly!:D
*poof!* there's the inspiration killer.:(

4God
May 3, 2006, 11:34 AM
.......but I have a hunch it is going to be called iMacbook...

Ahhh..., that's it. iMacbook. :)

7on
May 3, 2006, 11:35 AM
haha, well if it comes out in May that'll be good cause I know I won't be able to pick one up till June. Though I could stop by St. Lou and pick one up after getting back from the Germanies. That is, if there isn't a shortage :(

Stridder44
May 3, 2006, 11:37 AM
http://www.handwritingforkids.com/handwrite/tuesday.gif

Obligatory

mpw
May 3, 2006, 11:37 AM
I bought an iMacBook once, but it was just for the pictures of bikini lines:o

mpw
May 3, 2006, 11:38 AM
http://www.handwritingforkids.com/handwrite/tuesday.gif

Obligatory
LOL

paddy
May 3, 2006, 11:39 AM
Am I the only one who keeps reading that as "Come on black and white graphics chipset" whenever it's quoted?

I think a May release is possible, but it will be at an event, of the type Steve can make a Stevenote at. That probably means a one-off press conference (the only show on the horizon is the E3 thing, and it seems an unlikely venue.)

BTW all those saying they'll buy it the day it comes out... what if it's crap? I mean, what if the $999 model has Intel Integrated Graphics, 256Mb of RAM, a Combo drive, 40Gb HD, a 1.5GHz Core Solo, and no firewire ports or built-in Wifi?

Personally I suspect it'll have firewire, and maybe half a gig of RAM, but the rest of the spec isn't that unlikely.

Every mac now comes with a min. of 512 ram so thats a given. I'd say they'll give us a bit more than 40gb for the low end model. 40gb is not enough to use iLife to its full potential which is one of Apples main selling points.

sigamy
May 3, 2006, 11:42 AM
They're going to keep the iBook name. There might be some macbook 13" too, but they're going to keep iBook for the consumer notebook. Mark my words, or I'll eat something gross or something. :D

Everyone is assuming the name will be MacBook because when the MacBook Pro was announced Steve himself said they wanted "Mac" in all their computer names. iMac still works but iBook doesn't. While I kind of see Steve's point, I really hate MacBook. MacNote seems better to me.

I'm ready to move on from all the "iWhatever" names. There were rumors years ago that Apple was dropping all these conventions. iTools became .Mac and with the release of GarageBand the rumors picked up a bit. The newer consumer apps no longer have "i" we now get Front Row, Photo Booth, etc.

Macnoviz
Well, you need "i", for branding, "Mac" because Steve likes that, and they can't call it iMac, because that's something else, so, without further ado, the name of the next iBook: Maci (pronounced makkey)

No, seriously, I think Macbook is most likely, especially because the other one is called Macbook Pro.

Integrated graphics, definitly on low-end, 265 RAM, impossible, Combo, possible, 40 GB, likely, 1.5 Solo, again, on low-end, Firewire, really likely on all models, Wifi ==> standard on all Macs

~Shard~

MacBook Pro
iMac
PowerMac
iBook

???

.... one of these things is not like the other.

Jobs wants "Mac" in the names of all of Apple's products, why would they make an exception with this one product? No, I disagree with you, I find it very unlikely that Apple would not rebrand the iBook. After all, why have a MacBook Pro if there's no MacBook in the first place? :cool:

May 3, 2006, 11:43 AM

Steve Jobs already stated they want "Mac" in the name of all their computers. That's why.

Macnoviz
May 3, 2006, 11:45 AM
MacBook Pro
iMac
PowerMac
iBook

???

Oh! Oh! Pick Me!! I know!!

errr... iBook !!!!

Am I right??

mpw
... what if it's crap? I mean, what if the $999 model has Intel Integrated Graphics, 256Mb of RAM, a Combo drive, 40Gb HD, a 1.5GHz Core Solo, and no firewire ports or built-in Wifi?

I think WiFi's a dead cert and I'll buy you one if it isn't* 512Mb of RAM will be the minimum and I doubt they'll want to release a new PC with less HDD space than an available iPod.

*absolute LIE

Stridder44
Steve Jobs already stated they want "Mac" in the name of all their computers. That's why.

Agreed. I think it's pretty obvious that the iBook will be renamed MacBook. As stated, why have a MacBook Pro w/o a MacBook in the first place?

William25

Interesting point you make regarding the isight and secure environments. This makes me wonder if Apple will allow its employees to utilize its own hardware on campus. Of course they will but it would be interesting to see how they handle it.

7on

Well I *AM* on a Tibook... And a smaller guy would interest me a lot. It's gonna have Wifi, BT and FW as a standard. Even the 999 version. Though I'm looking for around 1500 to spend. I really DON'T want the integrated graphics - but if I have to get them I decided it's not a big deal anyway. All the games I play run on 64MB of vcard memory anyway so they should run fine offset by a dual core w/ integratedness. Like Mafia in WinXP :D

I basically upgrading for smaller size, iSight, FR, USB 2.0 and BT so a little extra speed would be awesome, it's not mandatory though.

Macnoviz
I think WiFi's a dead cert and I'll buy you one if it isn't* 512Mb of RAM will be the minimum and I doubt they'll want to release a new PC with less HDD space than an available iPod.

*absolute LIE

What's that? Subliminal messaging?

SeRgIo_42
May 3, 2006, 11:46 AM
I really would jump for a 13' model without a doubt.
If I am not wrong, I stopped by at least 3 times at our nearest
Apple Store to get the Pro version but the heat coming out
was always a turn down on my plans.

Unfortunately, the current market prices indicates that we
may have a dual core inside this machine, which means HEAT.

ImNoSuperMan
May 3, 2006, 11:47 AM

For masses of other shoppers, 13" with single core and integrated graphics, at a low price point, would sell like crazy.

Let's hope we see something at both ends of that scale.
Amen.
It`d be really great if there are atleast 2 mobels of MB available at the launch. One the usual 999$ core duo with integrated gfx,combo drive and the higher end with at the very least 64 MB dedicated VRAM(atleast),Superdrive for around 1300-1400$.
And please dont forget the color option. I m already bored of the all white look. White gets dirty way too easily. I had to clean my iBook every week to keep it from looking UGLY.

I find it more unlikely that the "iBook" would be the only Macintosh without the name "Mac" in it. So I say it is more likely to be MacBook, but I have a hunch it is going to be called iMacbook...
Noooooooooooo. Thats even worse than MacBook. Pleas no.

Not again...

So we continue our intel iBook saga with yet another rumor.
I have been waiting almost a year for this, but somewhere in February I lost all confidence in these sort of rumors.

I will believe it when I see it on the Apple site, or when Steve Jobs comes to deliver it to me personally.

That definitely makes me feel better. I`ve been waiting for just 3 weeks now. Yes even I`ve also lost hopes in all these rumors. But still somewhere down there wenever I see a light I start jumpin all over, THERE`S THE MACBOOK. THERE IT IS.
And two days later, GOD DAMN IT. WHERE`S THE MACBOOK. WHERE THE HELL IS THE MACBOOK?

Definitely I dont really believe we`ll see MB before Aug. But then I`ll love to be proved Wrong. Can ya hear me Steve....

fitinferno
May 3, 2006, 11:47 AM
We know the difference; they target market doesn't.

In using integrated, they are clearly segmenting the market and forcing people to make the jump to the MBP if they want something that does dedicated graphics.

Heh, maybe they could at least make a BTO option for those of us who really, really want that 13" screen with an integrated graphics card. (I like to kill my eyes playing games on my tiny, ultraportable laptop :) Otherwise I'd just get the MBP...would've saved the wait, lol)

And forget black...bright Ferrari red is the dream colour :D

fabsgwu
May 3, 2006, 11:48 AM

If AT&T Wireless can be re-branded to Cingular (for $4 Bln), then Cingular back to AT&T Wireless (for $2 Bln), anything's possible.

Maybe we'll get "PowerBook" back by the end of the year! ;)

mikea
May 3, 2006, 11:51 AM
Here we go again.
I really hope this is right, but I think it's incorrect.
The MacBook will be a while yet, from everything I have heard

Stridder44
May 3, 2006, 11:52 AM
If AT&T Wireless can be re-branded to Cingular (for $4 Bln), then Cingular back to AT&T Wireless (for $2 Bln), anything's possible.

Maybe we'll get "PowerBook" back by the end of the year! ;)

Agreed.
And if Windows 2000 (for $ 2Bln as a guesstimate) can be rebranded and sold as Windows XP (for ??? lots of $$)...

OMG its AS IF ITS ALL A GIANT SCHEME TO MAKE MONEY!!

tekriter
May 3, 2006, 11:52 AM
That never stopped the producers of cellphones, if you were hoping that Apple releases a seperate model without iSight
Is an integrated microphone allowed

One more thing: Apple is very strict on secrecy, so do THEY allow integrated cameras for their workers???:rolleyes: :D

No, of course it didn't stop the producers of cellphones, but you can get a cellphone without a camera. All I'm hoping for is the ability to delete the iSight from a BTO configuration. If the entire 'Book line can ONLY be had with a camera, a lot of people will be unable to buy one.

If I can't delete it, I gotta go peecee...and I sure don't wanna do that!

~Shard~
May 3, 2006, 11:53 AM
Oh! Oh! Pick Me!! I know!!

errr... iBook !!!!

Am I right??

Oooh, you're a smart one! Well done! :D

Mord
May 3, 2006, 11:54 AM

such a camera can easyly be removed, all you need to do is take the lid of your ibook off with a hex screw unscrew the camera unplug it and remove it.

i'll buy one if it uses an x1300, if and only if.

thogs_cave
May 3, 2006, 11:55 AM

I don't know why, but the idea of a really sharp greyscale screen appeals to me. There are days when I miss the active-matrix b&w powerbooks.

I doubt they'd go backwards from the last iBook G4. I'm willing to bet there will be integrated graphics, however I don't see that as a bad thing for a consumer-level notebook. My guess is that it'll offer two configs that are very much like the Mac Minis. After all, at that level Apple needs to keep the R&D costs down as well as the manufacturing costs.

TANSTAAFL, and all that.

MacMosher
May 3, 2006, 11:56 AM
Although I really want one of these notebook's I really don't see the need for them to be milking the rumor. You've already said its suppose to arrive this month or next month, we get the point don't need to tell us multiple times.

Anyways, is there anymore rumors about the design or when and how its going to be released?

anonicon
May 3, 2006, 11:59 AM

I agree, and you can get them now in the Powerbook for $1999-$2799.

Chuck

citi
May 3, 2006, 12:00 PM
Everyone is assuming the name will be MacBook because when the MacBook Pro was announced Steve himself said they wanted "Mac" in all their computer names. iMac still works but iBook doesn't. While I kind of see Steve's point, I really hate MacBook. MacNote seems better to me.

I'm ready to move on from all the "iWhatever" names. There were rumors years ago that Apple was dropping all these conventions. iTools became .Mac and with the release of GarageBand the rumors picked up a bit. The newer consumer apps no longer have "i" we now get Front Row, Photo Booth, etc.

OOOHHH - I like "Macnote" Although my moneys on my merom MBP later this year. My powerbook 15 is steady for now.

nukiduz
May 3, 2006, 12:01 PM
i don't understand how thinksecret's "reports" don't go to Page 2. they've announced the mabcook release so many times that i think they don't base their predictions in any kind of fact.

crees!
May 3, 2006, 12:02 PM
With that said, don't worry about integrated graphics! There will surely be multiple configurations, and if there are, the high end one will surely have dedicated graphics to attract Prosumers with mobility on their mind.
Wouldn't that just be the current Macbook Pro? Dedicated graphics, Prosumer, Mobile?

anonicon
May 3, 2006, 12:03 PM
After all, why have a MacBook Pro if there's no MacBook in the first place?

So that they can spit on subordinates when they Mac Book Pro five times fast?

:rolleyes:

h?
May 3, 2006, 12:10 PM
I'm still sticking by my 16th May release date.
I am also predicting 999 euros for the entry level

mikea
May 3, 2006, 12:10 PM
The Think Secret report is not even a new report. They are just re-reporting an old rumor. Don't even pay attention to it. Its like saying Apple will release an updated ipod.....sometime this year....Nice going!

galstaph
May 3, 2006, 12:11 PM
we'll just have to wait and see. Only 4 tuesdays left this month... if it is this month.... maybe we'll wait until june/july:rolleyes:

maybe just maybe.... it will come... only Steve (and his tight knit apple workers) knows when and how/what it will look like/be named/be equipped

DPazdanISU
May 3, 2006, 12:13 PM
if you look at the buyer's guide - http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ - the last major update was 7/05. So apple is around the longest stretch to refresh the ibook. In other words I see a Macbook coming within the next 2 weeks. They need to get the word out to students that cheap apple intels r on the market for fall semester. Nows the time kids are doing their research and bugging their parents.

peanut48
May 3, 2006, 12:13 PM

I'm sticking until may 10

gropo
May 3, 2006, 12:17 PM
Very valid points on the brand shift. I suppose the "iXXX" meme now has enough traction and popular imprint that Apple can conservatively fold "Mac" back in to the core of their brands without having to rely on sibling association. Makes sense.

Superdrive
May 3, 2006, 12:21 PM
I think anyone who thinks that the iBook won't change to MacBook is kidding themselves. Watch the keynote from January and see that "Mac" will be moving to each product.

I want to see a durable (read: Not Powerbook like body), a backlit keyboard (hardly a pro feature, some of us do our best work in the dark), dedicated graphics, dual core, and a nice fresh design. If this is going to replace a 12" PowerBook, there had better be some PowerBook features/options. Oh, I also want it to be TANGERINE! Anything but all white.

TMay
May 3, 2006, 12:22 PM
FCP should work okay on an iBook, though Aperture's resolution requirements may be too strict.

Too bad. I prefer small iBook formfactor, and would like to use the widescreen replacement in the field for my occasional photography.

dongmin
May 3, 2006, 12:27 PM
I don't think there's a possible way for them to have dedicated graphics in the MacBook, particularly if it consolidates the iBook and 12" PowerBook lines.There's no reason not to have 3 or 4 options--since that's what Apple's been doing for the last gazillion years. More often than not, Apple has featured different graphics for different configurations. Apple may very well release a $999 or cheaper MacBook with integrated graphics. But they may very easily offer a higher-end model, say for $1499, with discrete graphics.

I find that re-branding highly unlikely... Why would Apple work against the 'iPod branding halo' by changing the name of their entry-level notebooks?Apparently you've missed the 'rebranding' of the PowerBook. And Apple's comments about how they want to put 'Mac' in all their computers' names. And the recent TV ad campaign that proudly displays '(apple) Mac' at the end of every commercial. And the part on their website that says 'Get a Mac.'--not, mind you, an iBook or iDoodle or iDiddy.

edit: sorry for repeting what other's have said; i was slow to hit 'submit'...

manu chao
May 3, 2006, 12:35 PM
I think the most reliable rumor surrounding this introduction is that the Macbook will replace both the current iBook and 12" Powerbook computers. There was WAY too many similarities between the iBook and the 12" Powerbook to justify the higher Powerbook cost for many consumers (myself among them).

Feature-wise you are absolutely right that the 12" iBook and the 12" Powerbook are very similar. However, the iBook is quite a bit thicker and heavier. I do not think they created the iBook by taking the Powerbook prototype and adding some weight and thickness. It is rather the opposite around, they took the iBook and tried to minimize weight and size (thickness) and to up the features somewhat.

jjd
May 3, 2006, 12:36 PM
Putting aside the iBook/ MacBook naming debate for a minute :rolleyes: are we sure there might not be both a 13" MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro? As was the case with the 12" iBook and PowerBook? That would make sense. The Pro would have the dedicated graphics chipset, SP/DIF, motion sensor, backlit keyboard etc... circa $1899 or sthng like that.

??

CellarDoor
May 3, 2006, 12:37 PM
And if Windows 2000 (for $ 2Bln as a guesstimate) can be rebranded and sold as Windows XP (for ??? lots of $$)...

Hahahaha nice.

I'm starting to wonder if my next system should be a macbook complementing a intel imac or perhaps an upcoming "microtower" some on this forum are sounding pretty confident about.

That's opposed to getting a macbook pro when it goes merom and getting another display for spanning.

So many questions..

Willis
May 3, 2006, 12:40 PM

Apple wont sell iBook and Macbook. its the same product. it WILL be renamed. I prefer iBook, and probs will call it that, but Macbook gives it that grown up look.

bigandy
May 3, 2006, 12:43 PM
"thinksecret reiterates"

the most common phrase of 2006 so far.... :rolleyes:

iSee
May 3, 2006, 12:45 PM

No problem: get a little white (or black, or graphite, or strawberry) paint, apply liberally to the top center of you MacBook's display bezel, and wah-la:

A MacBook without iSight! :D :D ;)

Ultimatetone
May 3, 2006, 12:47 PM
Having the proper pricing (& configuration options) for the upcoming "iMacBook"
could cause a 'significant spike' in the number of switchers.
(now, even more so, with the release of Bootcamp and similar Win-capable efforts)

Hopefully, some lost ground can be now be recaptured within the schools that have 'strayed' from Apple.
I truly feel any resistance will indeed be futile (or significantly less) by those in charge of the purchasing decisions
for educational institutions now that that the Intel-based Mac hardware can boot to Windows as well, if so desired.
I mean, they would not be against (OS) diversity, would they?

My other concern is that people (friends of mine!) are purchasing Celeron-based Notebooks
from their local BestBuy for around $500-650.00. Sure, they only have integrated graphics & 10/100 ethernet,
but also have a 14" WXGA Ultrabright screen, DVD±RW, 802.11g and a media card reader built-in.

An "iMacBook" with a 13+ display, FW 400, DVD±RW, Bluetooth 2.0, Gigabit eth. and 802.11n built-in for $750.00
(along w/comparison specs as to why the 'iMacbook' is the better investment) clearly spells WINNER to me.

- Ultimatetone

manu chao
May 3, 2006, 12:50 PM
No, of course it didn't stop the producers of cellphones, but you can get a cellphone without a camera. All I'm hoping for is the ability to delete the iSight from a BTO configuration. If the entire 'Book line can ONLY be had with a camera, a lot of people will be unable to buy one.

If I can't delete it, I gotta go peecee...and I sure don't wanna do that!

Is it aestetics? Weight? Cost? Privacy? Or what bothers you?

If your concern is mainly about restrictions companies apply in respect to camera-phones and possibly camera-laptops, than I would add that banning camera-phones is not a very sophisticated safety measure. It might be effective in that it closes a loopwhole that can be exploited very easily but for a professional no real hindrance to espionage.

Using a laptop with a build-in iSight for espionage is not easier than using a wrist-watch with a build-in camera or other fancy devices. It is just that any hobby-spy will most likely not bother to buy such a watch but he might very likely already have a camera phone.

milo
May 3, 2006, 12:50 PM

Because it doesn't have MAC in the name. Steve Jobs said that outright, ALL their computers will have MAC in the name. Period.

Based on what? Your gut feeling? Do you have any logical argument to back that up?

apple's kind of screwed here with merom chips coming august now. it's either release the macbook with the dual-core yonahs and hope it doesn't eat to much in to the pro sales (or piss off people who just plunked down $2000 for a pro machine). or release a single core now that will get trounced by other $1000 notebooks and go dual-core in august.

They can release one with dual 1.6, enough of a diffence from the MPB's starting at 1.8, especially when there are other feature differences. Not to mention that the MB will only come in 13, lots of pros will still pay more for a 15 or bigger. And based on the 17 pricing, I think we'll see a price drop on 15's (or a feature bump, or both) soon.

Apple can't wait until fall, they have to release it soon or they'll miss the educational market, most computers for students are bought at this time of year.

Doubt we'll see a model with GPU, that will be one of the differences from MBP.

twoodcc
May 3, 2006, 12:51 PM
i'm glad to see another rumor stating a May release (especially since it's May right now :))

now the only way i can get one is if i sell my 1.67 ghz Powerbook.....

yoda13
May 3, 2006, 12:52 PM
Just to clear something up, I am not professing that there will be dedicated graphics, nor do I expect there to be, I am just saying that is what I want....:p

There could be a high end model that might have them, simple because this computer is replacing two lines of computers, the 12" Powerbook and the iBook. I agree that it is unlikely and I will be shocked if there is, but this fact is the one thing that gives me a sliver of hope...:)

manu chao
May 3, 2006, 12:53 PM
what if it's crap? I mean, what if the $999 model has Intel Integrated Graphics, 256Mb of RAM, a Combo drive, 40Gb HD, a 1.5GHz Core Solo, and no firewire ports or built-in Wifi?

They will not go below the specs of the Mac mini (except for less USB ports for space reasons). The mini is the lowest priced computer, it has the minimum feature set Apple is willing to put on the market.

iSee
May 3, 2006, 12:54 PM
i don't understand how thinksecret's "reports" don't go to Page 2. they've announced the mabcook release so many times that i think they don't base their predictions in any kind of fact.

Yeah, I looked back at all the MacBook rumors and TS's release dates have come and gone a couple times.

On the other hand, Apple Insider has been saying April-May '06 for the iBook replacement since last November. In the same report they nailed the MBP, so maybe TS is right this time (in the way a stopped clock is right... twice a day :rolleyes: ).

Stridder44
May 3, 2006, 12:55 PM
No problem: get a little white (or black, or graphite, or strawberry) paint, apply liberally to the top center of you MacBook's display bezel, and wah-la:

A MacBook without iSight! :D :D ;)

A conveniently placed sticky note comes to mind

Airforce
May 3, 2006, 12:57 PM
An "iMacBook" with a 13+ inch display, Firewire 400, DVDRW (Blue-ray option?) Gigabit ethernet and 802.11n built-in for $750.00
(along w/comparison specs as to why the 'iMacbook' is the better investment) clearly spells WINNER to me.

- Ultimatetone

You're on crack if you think Apple is going to lower their price on the upcoming computer. The ibook won't be anything special. I'd bet money on it being exactly like the mac mini's specs starting at $999+

lockhartt
May 3, 2006, 01:02 PM
The whole reason for the PowerBook/PowerMac names was the transition to the PowerPC chip.

With the removal of that chip from those units, it makes sense to rebrand them to MacBook Pro and MacPro.

The consumer line has been the iBook and iMac, respectively, and the iMac remains the iMac... so there's no reason to expect the iBook to become the MacBook. Rather, as many have suggested, it's more likely this will be a new line to fill the business user niche (no need for real high-end processing power) with a lightweight unit and dub it the MacBook.

Think about it...

May 3, 2006, 01:04 PM

As I am the master of information, I will tell ya what is gonna happen...

The PB 12" and the iBook lines will be merged - result? No more iBook 14" or PB 12"...only the MacBook 13.3" widescreen in 3 main models:

Ugly - Core Solo/GMA 950/Combo/40Gb - $ 999

Bad - Core Duo/GMA 950/Combo/60Gb - $ 1299

Good - Core Duo/X1300/Superdrive/80Gb - $ 1499

AP Extreme/BT/512Mb/iSight/FR/Remote/MagSafe standard across the line.

Colors: Snow/Graphite

Please check this post after the MB launched, OK? ;)

twoodcc
May 3, 2006, 01:05 PM
The whole reason for the PowerBook/PowerMac names was the transition to the PowerPC chip.

With the removal of that chip from those units, it makes sense to rebrand them to MacBook Pro and MacPro.

The consumer line has been the iBook and iMac, respectively, and the iMac remains the iMac... so there's no reason to expect the iBook to become the MacBook. Rather, as many have suggested, it's more likely this will be a new line to fill the business user niche (no need for real high-end processing power) with a lightweight unit and dub it the MacBook.

Think about it...

well Jobs said that they want "Mac" in all the names of the products. so i think it will be "Macbook"

mdsll
May 3, 2006, 01:07 PM
Looking at the Release Date History for iBooks, I think it will be released in May, seeing as April is already gone:

iBook Releases:

2001: May (new design) and October (speed bump)
2002: January (14,1"), May (speed bump), November (speed bump)
2003: April (speed bump), October (G4)
2004: April (speed bump), October (speed bump)
2005: July (speed bump)

So it seems April/May is the "usual" date, the 2005 July release being an exception to the rule.

milo
May 3, 2006, 01:09 PM

You can count on FW, wifi, and 512 they're even in the $599 mini. Mini also starts with 60 gig hard drive. If a model has core solo, it will only be the base model, same with combo drive and hard drive. Those will all be upgradable.

I'd count on integrated graphics. People will whine about it until they actually run the machine and see how fast it is, same as the mini.

I agree, and you can get them now in the Powerbook for $1999-$2799.

Um...which Powerbook has dual core?

Putting aside the iBook/ MacBook naming debate for a minute :rolleyes: are we sure there might not be both a 13" MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro? As was the case with the 12" iBook and PowerBook? That would make sense. The Pro would have the dedicated graphics chipset, SP/DIF, motion sensor, backlit keyboard etc... circa $1899 or sthng like that.

There will probably be budget and pro configurations, but they will just be different configs in the same case. I think the main differences will be chip speed and typical BTO features. I don't expect dedicated graphics even available as an option, even including the slot for it adds size and cost.

The Powerbook isn't named after the PPC chip, the first powerbooks shipped with 680X0 chips. I think that's part of the reason they're dropping it, though.

I agree that this is a pointless "rumor". It's nothing new, just restating what they've already said. Is it really a stretch to predict that MB's will ship this month?

MacRumorUser
May 3, 2006, 01:10 PM
Interestingly Sony have just released a new Vaio with

CoreDuo 1.83 ghz & 13.3 widescreen

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~Q72189~WW~/index.htm?affiliate=7576

But as you can see that's some pricey laptop (ugly to boot)

1527.49 = 2,230 = $2,817.608

So if apple can release a coreduo 1.66-1.83 & 13.3 widescreen for $1599 it will sell like hot cakes.

Come on Apple. This is my next purchase, hurry up I have a hole burning in my pocket ;)

milo
May 3, 2006, 01:12 PM
Interestingly Sony have just released a new Vaio with

CoreDuo 1.83 ghz & 13.3 widescreen

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~Q72189~WW~/index.htm?affiliate=7576

That's an ultralilght laptop, under two pounds. Doesn't really compete with the ibook model. This one needs to compete with the low budget dell models, not the super high end sonys.

I'd say they have to have a core duo for $1299 or less to be competitive. I'm hoping the $999 stays at that price with core duo but I know that's a huge stretch. Hell, I'd love to see stripped down core solo for $899 and duo for $1199. (and a beefier one for $1399-1599)

Ultimatetone
May 3, 2006, 01:13 PM
You're on crack if you think Apple is going to lower their price on the upcoming computer.
The ibook won't be anything special. I'd bet money on it being exactly like the mac mini's specs starting at $999+COUGH...COUGH...pipe dreams!

I just cannot justify switching to OSX via an Intel Mac Mini or a $1000.00 "iMacBook."

I understand that the addition of a "screen" costs money,
but now that Apple is using seemingly less-proprietary Intel-based hardware...

I've been waiting for years so far...
I guess I'll finally fold and bag a sub-par Celeron-based notebook to handle my minimal 'portable needs'
while I continue to wait for Apple (and also seek more lucrative employment opportunities.)
Knowing 'what's possibly around the corner' must discourage many folks from making such purchases.
I cannot be alone on this thought.

- Ultimatetone

peharri
May 3, 2006, 01:20 PM
I think WiFi's a dead cert and I'll buy you one if it isn't*

Wheee! (Or is that Wii, thanks Nintendo...)

*absolute LIE
D'oh!

Ok, here's what I think. I think the low end MacBook will be exactly the same spec as the low end Mac mini except with what you'd expect in added in a 13" laptop. It'll have the Apple remote. It may have that iSight thing, but I wouldn't bet on it. That said, I suspect it adds a few dollars to the cost, and I think Apple wants something like that to differentiate itself, so... They'll probably cut the number of USB ports to two, but that's no biggie.

The low end Mac mini does, indeed, have a 60Gb HD rather than 40Gb, so you may be right about that.

I'm not going to be surprised, but I doubt it'll happen, if they remove Firewire. I don't think Apple sees Firewire as a going concern in the long term as far as their low-end consumer gear goes. If they did, they'd be making more of an effort to promote it - how much would it cost to include the Firewire cables with the iPod? Why isn't it on the iPod nano?

A low end laptop at the moment is generally around the $750 mark, +-$250. Dell's Inspiron B130 has a spec that's very close to that described, though with a larger screen, for $840 (actually $740 with instant rebate right now.)

So I'm going to predict that the low-end MacBook is probably going to weigh in around the $900 mark, if not $800. If that seems lower than Apple usually does things, bear in mind the market's changed a lot over the last few years. You can get a generic PC laptop for as little as $500 (why you'd want it, I don't know, but even Dell sells them that low.) And I think we all know that Apple is extremely keen on ramping up market share right now, as long as it keeps reasonable margins. The notion that Apple's price for its low end laptop might be close to the price of Dell's highest priced low-end laptop isn't that silly.

What do others think?

gkarris
May 3, 2006, 01:25 PM
As I am the master of information, I will tell ya what is gonna happen...

The PB 12" and the iBook lines will be merged - result? No more iBook 14" or PB 12"...only the MacBook 13.3" widescreen in 3 main models:

Ugly - Core Solo/GMA 950/Combo/40Gb - $ 999

Bad - Core Duo/GMA 950/Combo/60Gb - $ 1299

Good - Core Duo/X1300/Superdrive/80Gb - $ 1499

AP Extreme/BT/512Mb/iSight/FR/Remote/MagSafe standard across the line.

Colors: Snow/Graphite

Please check this post after the MB launched, OK? ;)

Maybe at $100 more per (the Minis came out at $100 more per).

Bring back Dalmation and Flower Power!!!

mdavria
May 3, 2006, 01:30 PM
OMG its AS IF ITS ALL A GIANT SCHEME TO MAKE MONEY!![/QUOTE]

The marketing, the waiting, the ad campaign, the fact that some of you want a MacBook, but could no longer wait and instead bought a MacBook Pro is really genius by Apple. And if they chage the name to MacBook, they can also change the price.

I have a 3rd Gen iPod at 10 GB and it was $300. New iPods are color, have video, and super slim and are 30 GB, price: $300. My G3 iBook is 20 GB at 700 Mhz and was $999. Newest iBooks are stilll $999. If they change the name, they change the price (ala Powerbook/MacBook Pro) and they can have the excuse by saying that it is no longer an iBook.

mpw
May 3, 2006, 01:30 PM
...some of us do our best work in the dark...
Have you been talking to my wife?

milo
May 3, 2006, 01:31 PM
Maybe at $100 more per (the Minis came out at $100 more per).

The cheaper mini added wifi and bluetooth, both of which are already in the ibook. Only real justification for a price increase is a built in camera. I REALLY hope they don't bump prices, this is one model that needs to come in starting as cheap as possible.

jaxstate
May 3, 2006, 01:38 PM
I really want DVI out. A new "macbook" and a 20" Apple LCD for under $2,500 would be golden!!!:D

gkarris
May 3, 2006, 01:40 PM
Wheee! (Or is that Wii, thanks Nintendo...)

So I'm going to predict that the low-end MacBook is probably going to weigh in around the $900 mark, if not $800. If that seems lower than Apple usually does things, bear in mind the market's changed a lot over the last few years. You can get a generic PC laptop for as little as $500 (why you'd want it, I don't know, but even Dell sells them that low.) And I think we all know that Apple is extremely keen on ramping up market share right now, as long as it keeps reasonable margins. The notion that Apple's price for its low end laptop might be close to the price of Dell's highest priced low-end laptop isn't that silly.

What do others think?

I bought a cheap Compaq over last Thanksgiving, $499 after taxes and rebate. I couldn't wait for the low end Macbook anymore, as my very recent Dell (at $1100, P4, ATI discreet graphics), was just a load of crap - blue screen when you tried to hook something up to either the Firewire or USB port (not to mention the calls to India - that's another forum). I gave it to my friend's daughter to use for e-mails and chatting. The $499 Compaq works fine and is very stable.

Apple needs a cheap laptop, looks like the $499 laptop is becoming more and more common. Would be an atrocity if the low end Macbook at $1099 has the same specs as a $499 Windows one....

deadturtle
May 3, 2006, 01:41 PM
All im really hoping for is 13.3 inches in a sub $1000 package (easier to convince the purchasing department).. colors, graphics, etc are moot as long as I can get Windows and Fedora Core beside my OS X...

steveh
May 3, 2006, 01:43 PM

Sorry:

- First PowerBook was PowerBook 100, introduced 10/1991
- First PPC Mac was the 6100/60, introduced 03/1994

tekriter
May 3, 2006, 01:44 PM
Is it aestetics? Weight? Cost? Privacy? Or what bothers you?

If your concern is mainly about restrictions companies apply in respect to camera-phones and possibly camera-laptops, than I would add that banning camera-phones is not a very sophisticated safety measure. It might be effective in that it closes a loopwhole that can be exploited very easily but for a professional no real hindrance to espionage.

Using a laptop with a build-in iSight for espionage is not easier than using a wrist-watch with a build-in camera or other fancy devices. It is just that any hobby-spy will most likely not bother to buy such a watch but he might very likely already have a camera phone.

True, it's not hard to circumvent if you are really trying, but it IS a firm rule where I work. Not only a firm rule, but we were reminded just yesterday that it is a firing offense. They take security very seriously here.

steveh
May 3, 2006, 01:48 PM
I just cannot justify switching to OSX via an Intel Mac Mini or a $1000.00 "iMacBook."

Not everyone is going to buy them.

I understand that the addition of a "screen" costs money,
but now that Apple is using seemingly less-proprietary Intel-based hardware...

The Intel CPU costs more than the Freescale CPUs used in current iBooks.

And Intel chips are just as proprietary as any other common chips.

Hmmm...the open-sourced SPARCs may be a rare exception to CPU chip proprietarieness.

[/QUOTE]I've been waiting for years so far...
I guess I'll finally fold and bag a sub-par Celeron-based notebook to handle my minimal 'portable needs'
while I continue to wait for Apple (and also seek more lucrative employment opportunities.)
Knowing 'what's possibly around the corner' must discourage many folks from making such purchases.
I cannot be alone on this thought.
- Ultimatetone[/QUOTE]

Probably not.

There will still be a market for cheap-jack laptops that can't run Mac OS X.

BlackLilyNinja
May 3, 2006, 01:49 PM
iBooks will remain iBooks just like iMacs remained iMacs

the only reason Powerbooks changed is because of a copyright issue between the apple consortium (ibm, apple and motorola) it was a PowerPC. iBooks never had that issue. So they will remain iBook. The new TOWERS however will probably be called something like MacTower or MacPro or MacInTower. all equally lame sounding but i am sure it will be a lame sounding name.

as for them being released in May? WOOT!

Cinch
May 3, 2006, 01:49 PM
True, it's not hard to circumvent if you are really trying, but it IS a firm rule where I work. Not only a firm rule, but we were reminded just yesterday that it is a firing offense. They take security very seriously here.

Come to think of it, I don't think Apple would allow a camera like device on their campus especially in hardware/design area.

go figure:rolleyes:

Cinch

Ultimatetone
May 3, 2006, 01:51 PM
Ok, here's what I think. I think the low end MacBook will be exactly the same spec as the low end Mac mini
except with what you'd expect in added in a 13" laptop. It'll have the Apple remote. It may have that iSight thing, but I wouldn't bet on it.

So I'm going to predict that the low-end MacBook is probably going to weigh in around the $900 mark, if not $800.
If that seems lower than Apple usually does things, bear in mind the market's changed a lot over the last few years.
You can get a generic PC laptop for as little as $500 (why you'd want it, I don't know, but even Dell sells them that low.)
And I think we all know that Apple is extremely keen on ramping up market share right now, as long as it keeps reasonable margins.
The notion that Apple's price for its low end laptop might be close to the price of Dell's highest priced low-end laptop isn't that silly.

What do others think?
I am still hoping for a 'mini-version' iBook under $999.00.
An Apple product that would quash any thoughts of buying a portable DVD player, a PVP/PMP, or an Archos-like product.Aside from the 'widescreen pipedream,' I was really hoping for a iBook Mini (of sorts) under $999 - silly me!
An "iMacBook" with a 13+ display, FW 400, DVD±RW, Bluetooth 2.0, Gigabit eth. and 802.11n built-in for $750.00
(along w/comparison specs as to why the 'iMacbook' is the better investment) clearly spells WINNER to me. Not dissimilar to the drug pusher who provides 'free' samples to get you 'hooked,'
Apple could have introduced an iBook Mini (for under 650.00, perhaps at a loss, too) to get fence-riders hooked into OS X.
With the battery recalls and screen issues of a few Apple notebooks in the past,
this makes a case against a potential 'switcher' opting to go for a pre-owned Apple notebook.
Ok, so $650.00 was clearly a pipe dream.
I was looking for a stripped notebook/robust PDA solution at the time...
Wait!
I am still looking for that now! I'd even sacrifice an optical drive altogether.
Can we say ORI-GA-MAC?

I've been waiting for years so far...
I'd say they have to have a core duo for $1299 or less to be competitive.
I'm hoping the $999 stays at that price with core duo but I know that's a huge stretch.
Hell, I'd love to see stripped down core solo for $899 and duo for $1199. (and a beefier one for $1399-1599) I REALLY hope they don't bump prices, this is one model that needs to come in starting as cheap as possible.I bought a cheap Compaq over last Thanksgiving, $499 after taxes and rebate. I couldn't wait for the low end Macbook anymore...
Apple needs a cheap laptop, looks like the $499 laptop is becoming more and more common.
Would be an atrocity if the low end Macbook at $1099 has the same specs as a $499 Windows one....

jaxstate
May 3, 2006, 01:52 PM
Steve Jobs said it himself. He wants "Mac" in all the computers names, and seeing that the iMac already had "Mac" in it, there was no reason to change.

the only reason Powerbooks changed is because of a copyright issue between the apple consortium (ibm, apple and motorola) it was a PowerPC. iBooks never had that issue. So they will remain iBook. The new TOWERS however will probably be called something like MacTower or MacPro or MacInTower. all equally lame sounding but i am sure it will be a lame sounding name.

as for them being released in May? WOOT!

steveh
May 3, 2006, 01:52 PM

the only reason Powerbooks changed is because of a copyright issue between the apple consortium (ibm, apple and motorola) it was a PowerPC.

Do you have a cite for that?

The PowerBook name preceded the first PowerPC product by several years.

bill4588
May 3, 2006, 01:56 PM
This may have been posted earlier, but I didnt read all the replies. I think that Apple will launch this for at least $1199 and keep the iBook available for $999 or possibly $899. Once the chip prices drop, the Macbook will be available for $999 and the iBook will be discontinued. Why else would they keep the iBook around for a little while after the release (other than emtpy inventory)? The price drop for iBook will mean more people will want to buy it so that will take care of the inventory problem. After they sell all the iBooks then they can drop the price of the Macbook (after the price drop of chips of course).

daschim
May 3, 2006, 01:56 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...
Why should apple use the 'pro' notation if, according to the rumors, there will be only one type of ibook/macbook.
If you have the macbook pro 15" and 17" and the 13" ibook is going to replace the 12" macbook. Why don't call them all macbook. If there will be only one line of notebooks there is no need to the 'pro' notation. You only want to call something 'pro' if there is room for something less then pro.

What most of you suggest doesn't make sence
- 17" macbook pro
- 15" macbook pro
- 13" ibook/macbook ???

Even if there will be different types of ibook/macbook with integrated graphics and stuf...it does not make sence. I think there will be 15" ibook/macbooks too...maybe not now, but certainly later.

Cinch
May 3, 2006, 01:57 PM
Wait!
I am still looking for that now! I'd even sacrifice an optical drive altogether.
Can we say ORI-GA-MAC?

I am abosolutely behind you 100%:D
no seriously.

Give me a robust laptop/PDA that can do a few things well e.g. Word/Excel/Safari and email of some sort. Long battery life (greater than 6 hours after one year of use).

Sacrifice an optical drive? come on, who uses optical drive anymore. If you want to watch movies, do it on a TV. If you watch movies on your laptop, you have some serious social issue:D .

Cinch

Yvan256
May 3, 2006, 02:00 PM

Steve himself said in the last presentation that their computers would have "Mac" in their name from now on (or something to that effect).

Mac mini has Mac in its name.
iMac has Mac in its name.
PowerMac has Mac in its name. Could be renamed to simply "Mac Pro", though.
PowerBook didn't have Mac in its name.
iBook doesn't have Mac in its name. It should be renamed to MacBook. Also, it would make no sense to have a "MacBook Pro" without a regular, non-Pro "MacBook".

Yvan256
May 3, 2006, 02:01 PM
Steve Jobs said it himself. He wants "Mac" in all the computers names, and seeing that the iMac already had "Mac" in it, there was no reason to change.

And there's already the visual similarity between the iPod and the iMac.

Yvan256
May 3, 2006, 02:05 PM
no seriously.

Give me a robust laptop/PDA that can do a few things well e.g. Word/Excel/Safari and email of some sort. Long battery life (greater than 6 hours after one year of use).

Sacrifice an optical drive? come on, who uses optical drive anymore. If you want to watch movies, do it on a TV. If you watch movies on your laptop, you have some serious social issue:D .

Cinch

If the next iPod is what we've seen in recent mock-ups and has a touch-screen display, it could become the "new Newton" (still called iPod).

An iPod connects to a computer, so it doesn't need an optical drive. All Apple needs to do is add basic computing functions to the iPod (wi-fi, Safari, Mail, etc) and they'll capture the whole PDA market overnight.

Cinch
May 3, 2006, 02:10 PM
If the next iPod is what we've seen in recent mock-ups and has a touch-screen display, it could become the "new Newton" (still called iPod).

An iPod connects to a computer, so it doesn't need an optical drive. All Apple needs to do is add basic computing functions to the iPod (wi-fi, Safari, Mail, etc) and they'll capture the whole PDA market overnight.

I'm down with this device. Just have this PDA/Laptop and my office desktop. I think this is the future of computer. Forget about those loser at the coffee shop with their wired laptop afraid to death of spilling their latte on their precious Dell/MacBook Pro.:D

Cinch

milo
May 3, 2006, 02:17 PM
Would be an atrocity if the low end Macbook at $1099 has the same specs as a $499 Windows one....

It won't. I assume your $499 machine has a celeron or similar crappy cpu?

Problem for apple is that they're only going to go down to core solo for their cpus. Other computer makers have been using older chips like celerons and such, but those are on the way out so it makes no sense for apple to use them now for a few months as a stopgap.

You and some others basically want a machine that's as cheap as possible and don't care how slow the processor is or how low the specs are. Apple is unlikely to do that. Along those lines, $499 laptops are more and more common...but how well do they sell? People have long complained that apple didn't have a $299 desktop machine, but on the PC side machines at that price generally don't sell nearly as well as more expensive ones. People like the idea of a cheap machine, but when they use it at the store, they realize they can't live with such poor performance and end up upgrading to a more expensive one.

the only reason Powerbooks changed is because of a copyright issue between the apple consortium (ibm, apple and motorola) it was a PowerPC. iBooks never had that issue. So they will remain iBook.

Wrong on both counts. Seriously, has nobody read the dozens if not hundreds of posts explaining both of these?

How much more could it be spelled out for you? STEVE JOBS specifically said that you're wrong. I think he could have said "THE IBOOK REPLACEMENT WILL BE CALLED THE MACBOOK" and some idiot would still insist the name will stay iBook.

And the laptops were called PowerBooks before PowerPC chips even existed, did you pull that "copyright issue" thing out of your butt? Seriously?

Wait!
Can we say ORI-GA-MAC?

Not going to happen with a core chip, they'd have to use celeron or similar, and that's not going to happen. We'll see $650 mac laptops when the Core processor is a generation or two old and prices have dropped to what celerons cost today.

weitzner
May 3, 2006, 02:18 PM
no seriously.

Cinch

we college students don't even have tv's for the most part. we watch movies on our laptops. what i would really like to see is a TabletMac that has a docking station of some sorts and comes with a bunch of note-taking software for science classes and would recognize symbols that aren't usually used otherwise. those things would sell like crazy to the college student market, we wouldn't even need notebooks anymore!

ChrisA
May 3, 2006, 02:18 PM
.....as long as it has ..... independant graphics.

Why do people care if the Graphis processor has it's own RAM or if it shares RAM with the system? I would think what is more important is the speed of various common tasks. If you intend to edit HD video what you should care about is the render speed, not how the machine works internally

In every case the graphic process does run independently. The question is if the graphics chip wil access it's own RAM or share system RAM.

For most common tasks Video RAM goes unused and intgrated design allows this otherwise unused resource to be put to good productive use. For a given price point you may get best persomance with the integrated RAM. Of course for more money you can always buy more speed. But what Apple needs now is the "best" $950 notebook.

My bet is that the Intel iBook will share the same design as the Intal Mac Mini while the MBP will track the iMac design. This keeps Apples enginerring cost resonable by sharing some design work over multiple product lines.

esaleris
May 3, 2006, 02:19 PM
There's no reason not to have 3 or 4 options--since that's what Apple's been doing for the last gazillion years. More often than not, Apple has featured different graphics for different configurations. Apple may very well release a $999 or cheaper MacBook with integrated graphics. But they may very easily offer a higher-end model, say for $1499, with discrete graphics.

Well, if the difference is video memory, then I'd agree. There's not much difference between pin-compatible chips. In fact, that's one of the main reasons to keep things pin-compatible - so you don't have to change designs for different types of configurations. But to keep around completely different chipsets and options within one line isn't something Apple'd do. And that's smart, as it reduces the complexity required for a single product.

Every single one of Apple's products right now features the same design, with tiered BTO options. But the options are extensions of the same technological family. An integrated chipset and a dedicated graphics chipset are two different boards that would have had to go through two different design, testing, and QA processes to launch - and Apple isn't going to do that.

d_and_n5000
May 3, 2006, 02:21 PM
Oh, goody! Another Mac I'll want and can't get!

Anyway...I hope they call it the MacBook. I don't know why, it sounded horrible at first, but now I love it. And if it weren't for the Mac mini, I would say it would fit my desired naming strategy perfectly.

Desired Naming Strategy
Color key: Green=desktop; blue=notebook
Pro: iMac pro; MacBook pro
Consumer: iMac; MacBook
Entry level: iMac mini; MacBook mini

Disclaimer: Most would argue that the 'MacBook mini' probably wouldn't be mini at all, just lower specs; Apple would never call the pro desktop 'iMac' anything due to the consumerish image of the iMac; and the 'iMac mini' has already been released as the Mac mini. I just thought that this would make sense and leave plenty of room to add new product categories. It really doesn't fit as-is, however. Some brand realignment is in order, Apple!

Stridder44
May 3, 2006, 02:22 PM
I think Apple will release low end portable called the MacBook sometime within this month. Damn Im good.

bill4588
May 3, 2006, 02:24 PM
I think Apple will release low end portable called the MacBook sometime within this month. Damn Im good.
ROFL

blueimac'00
May 3, 2006, 02:27 PM
I'm excited, but will it be able to play games like COD 2?

Willis
Correct me if I'm wrong...
Why should apple use the 'pro' notation if, according to the rumors, there will be only one type of ibook/macbook.
If you have the macbook pro 15" and 17" and the 13" ibook is going to replace the 12" macbook. Why don't call them all macbook. If there will be only one line of notebooks there is no need to the 'pro' notation. You only want to call something 'pro' if there is room for something less then pro.

What most of you suggest doesn't make sence
- 17" macbook pro
- 15" macbook pro
- 13" ibook/macbook ???

Even if there will be different types of ibook/macbook with integrated graphics and stuf...it does not make sence. I think there will be 15" ibook/macbooks too...maybe not now, but certainly later.

You have a good point. I hadnt really thought about it. But then you cant market two 15" laptops wilh similar specs (ie processors)and a small/large price difference. Even when Merom comes out, its still going to be called a Core Duo. Hmm, if they clocked the speeds WAY down, then they could, but then whats the point?

One thing I can say about remaining stock is this. Powerbook 12 and 17's were in short supply, so most likely why the 17 never hung around for much, so the 12 inch will go along when the Macbooks come out. For the iBooks, Apple have employed a company in the UK to take on surplus stock and sell off at discounted prices, but the company's named wasnt mentioned and I STILL havent found it. (if you know forward me it)

Chances are, the 12" iBook will go, and the 14" will linger for a bit longer. OR they could just go.

All i want is to see the specs! The amount of guessing going on is doing my nut in. PLEASE APPLE!

daveL
The MacBook (no, it will not remain an iBook, as many others have mentioned) won't come out until Apple can get the lower prices for Duo chips that are scheduled to kick in toward the end of May.

Cinch
May 3, 2006, 02:28 PM
we college students don't even have tv's for the most part. we watch movies on our laptops. what i would really like to see is a TabletMac that has a docking station of some sorts and comes with a bunch of note-taking software for science classes and would recognize symbols that aren't usually used otherwise. those things would sell like crazy to the college student market, we wouldn't even need notebooks anymore!

I'm not crying for you:D

I still think a notepad is better for note taking. As for watching a two hour movie on your laptop, my point still stand (go see a shrink)..no seriously, see a movie with friends or your mate, trust me it is much better

Cinch

please don't take what I say personally...cause I'm just having fun

supremedesigner
May 3, 2006, 02:29 PM
MacBook Pro
iMac
PowerMac
iBook

???

Jobs wants "Mac" in the names of all of Apple's products, why would they make an exception with this one product? No, I disagree with you, I find it very unlikely that Apple would not rebrand the iBook. After all, why have a MacBook Pro if there's no MacBook in the first place? :cool:

Probably this:

Macbook Pro (former Powerbook)
Macbook Pre (former iBook) :rolleyes:

ChrisA
May 3, 2006, 02:29 PM
If you want to watch movies, do it on a TV. If you watch movies on your laptop, you have some serious social issue.

Serious social issue? Maybe.

But I thought Apple computers were marketed to people who MAKE digital content. PCs and TVs are for people who CONSUME digital content.

Most of the video I watch on the computer is stuff I shot. I never watch TV but I see a lot of video and still images and I would not buy a computer that did not display this stuff.

Buzbe
May 3, 2006, 02:30 PM
hurry up. I hate this laptop (damn acer!) - I need a new one!

boncellis
May 3, 2006, 02:37 PM
...Give me a robust laptop/PDA that can do a few things well e.g. Word/Excel/Safari and email of some sort. Long battery life (greater than 6 hours after one year of use).

Sacrifice an optical drive? come on, who uses optical drive anymore. If you want to watch movies, do it on a TV. If you watch movies on your laptop, you have some serious social issue:D

I agree, but I do think Apple should keep the optical drive around, since we are getting that much closer to having a Blu-ray drive in a new Macintosh. Obviously you'd have to have the screen to take advantage of the new higher resolution feature films that are released on that format, but BD will be cool strictly as storage (if storage could ever be cool). :cool:

Superdrive
May 3, 2006, 02:37 PM
[snipAs for watching a two hour movie on your laptop, my point still stand (go see a shrink)..no seriously, see a movie with friends or your mate, trust me it is much better[/snip]

Have you been on an airplane lately? You couldn't ask for a better spot to watch a movie. What about people who watch movies on iPods? They must be insane!!! :eek:

hyperpasta
May 3, 2006, 02:39 PM
The MacBook (no, it will not remain an iBook, as many others have mentioned) won't come out until Apple can get the lower prices for Duo chips that are scheduled to kick in toward the end of May.

Finally! Someone's thinking clearly. Why make a laptop that will be over-priced in less than a month?

bill4588
May 3, 2006, 02:43 PM
Finally! Someone's thinking clearly. Why make a laptop that will be over-priced in less than a month?
to make money!! Apple knows that if they release these things now then they would fly off the shelves. Then once the chips drop in price in about a month, lower the price of the Macbook.

milo
May 3, 2006, 02:43 PM

Finally? EVERYONE has been saying that these would ship then. They may announce them sooner than that, but they probably won't ship until after the price drop. Although it's always possible that intel may do the price drop early, or give Apple the discount before the announced date.

iPie
May 3, 2006, 02:44 PM
I wanted to switch to the MacBook but my PC just died now and don't have enough to shell out for a Pro.

Definitely not going to go for a G4......

Decisions, decisions,.... so close:(

gnasher729
May 3, 2006, 02:50 PM

Apple got those lower prices long time ago. What do you think why the MacBook Pro got a free upgrade to the next faster processor before it was even released?

iPie
May 3, 2006, 02:50 PM

Cinch

Actually, I don't think that comment is generalizable. You obviously haven't seen the crap that's on TV here in Italy :rolleyes: - I would even go so far as to say that if you have a TV here you have a serious social issue...:)

Not only that, one must pay taxes for owning a TV - so I got rid of mine a while ago. Who wants to pay taxes for crap:mad: , especially when one has the option of avoiding them.:) So yes, I DO watch movies on my laptop.:eek:

The tax savings actually let me rent/purchase a pile of new movies every year!:cool:

Boggle
May 3, 2006, 02:54 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Thinksecret reiterates (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0605briefly.html) that the long awaited Intel-version of the Apple iBook, which has come to be known as the "MacBook" is still expected in May.

We have kept track of all rumors (http://guides.macrumors.com/Intel_iBook_%28Rumored%29) surrounding the upcoming Intel iBook in our Guide pages (http://guides.macrumors.com/).

In summary, one of the earliest reports (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/11/20051104195840.shtml) did claim that the upcoming Intel iBook would house a 13" form-factor and be expected in April-May of 2006. Followup rumors suggested (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/12/20051212054056.shtml) that the screen would be 13.3" and offer a 1280x720 resolution screen.

While some expected (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/12/20051219123900.shtml) the new computer to appear at Macworld in January, only the MacBook Pro and Intel iMac were released at that time. Overall, many features of the MacBook (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/01/20060127212237.shtml) are expected to be comparable to the MacBook Pro, with the inclusion of iSight, Front Row, Photo Booth, and MagSafe. Finally there have been suggestions (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060411234255.shtml) of a significant redesign for the iBook-replacement with the possibility of the reintroduction of color choices.

In other words...
No really, this time it's really happening. I swear. I know a guy who knows a guy, who's brother's dating the niece of a girl who's dating a girl in product development @ Apple on the "macbook" tteam.

Cinch
May 3, 2006, 02:55 PM
Have you been on an airplane lately? You couldn't ask for a better spot to watch a movie. What about people who watch movies on iPods? They must be insane!!! :eek:

your point is well taken...i prefer a bloody mary instead of course this will not work for most.. but come on, it is good time to work.

Cinch

Cinch
May 3, 2006, 02:58 PM
Actually, I don't think that comment is generalizable. You obviously haven't seen the crap that's on TV here in Italy :rolleyes: - I would even go so far as to say that if you have a TV here you have a serious social issue...:)

Not only that, one must pay taxes for owning a TV - so I got rid of mine a while ago. Who wants to pay taxes for crap:mad: , especially when one has the option of avoiding them.:) So yes, I DO watch movies on my laptop.:eek:

The tax savings actually let me rent/purchase a pile of new movies every year!:cool:

digressing a bit here...no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to watch TV..it is a consumer/capitalistic society afterall, you have the power

Cinch

aswitcher
May 3, 2006, 03:06 PM

That would be helpful - but Apple's pull means it can probably cut a deal now not in 4 weeks.

Also I think the Solo is cheaper so it should make an appearance to keep csts down - like the Mac Mini...

Macnoviz
May 3, 2006, 03:09 PM
In other words...
No really, this time it's really happening. I swear. I know a guy who knows a guy, who's brother's dating the niece of a girl who's dating a girl in product development @ Apple on the "macbook" tteam.

Hot lesbian love in the product development division of Apple?
No wonder it's coming in colors...

I hope that right now, they are just dotting the pixels and announce them next tuesday...

BlackLilyNinja
May 3, 2006, 03:10 PM
I think anyone who thinks that the iBook won't change to MacBook is kidding themselves. Watch the keynote from January and see that "Mac" will be moving to each product.

I want to see a durable (read: Not Powerbook like body), a backlit keyboard (hardly a pro feature, some of us do our best work in the dark), dedicated graphics, dual core, and a nice fresh design. If this is going to replace a 12" PowerBook, there had better be some PowerBook features/options. Oh, I also want it to be TANGERINE! Anything but all white.

but why MacBook? why not iMacBook? or macinbook or iMook or iRanoutofideas? MacBook Pro... i love mine but the name ... yeeash. Why would you keep iMac and not iBook? iT was supposed to be that the "i" was for low cost consumer line product base. Which brings me back to.. why not change the iMac name too Steve? Why one and not the other ? WHY WHY WHY???

i would like tangerine too. it was the best color

daveL
May 3, 2006, 03:22 PM
Apple got those lower prices long time ago. What do you think why the MacBook Pro got a free upgrade to the next faster processor before it was even released?
Sorry. I'm not privy to the inside Apple/Intel pricing information you obviously have. All I have to work with is published facts.

milo
May 3, 2006, 03:26 PM
Why would you keep iMac and not iBook?

BECAUSE IBOOK DOESN'T HAVE *MAC* IN IT.

why not change the iMac name too Steve?

BECAUSE IMAC ALREADY HAS *MAC* IN IT.

How hard is that to figure out?????

One contains MAC. One does not. It couldn't be any simpler, why can't you people understand it?

amac4me
May 3, 2006, 03:37 PM
In my view, it would be in Apple's best interest to have the MacBook (iBook replacement) released as soon as possbibe (hopefully this month). This would allow Apple to have an additional line of Intel Mac computers available for sale. This is especially important in light of Apple's recent launch of the "Get a Mac" advertising campaign. It would be foolish for Apple to have only a few models available for sale after initiating the campaign.

In context, Apple has to satisfy Wall Street's expectations and projections. The best and safest way to accomplish this would be to announce a new Intel based Mac model each of the next two quarters. The reasons would be two fold. The first would be to capitalize on unit sales on a quarterly basis. Secondly, it would allow Apple to have consistent Mac unit sales on a quarter-to-quarter basis. Apple would be best suited to "play it safe" to demonstrate to Wall Street that it has consistent Mac unit sales quarter-to-quarter. A huge spike in sales in one quarter followed by a quarter in which units sales drop would not look good. Wall Steet prefers to see consistency and growth, not spikes and fluctuations. That's why I expect Apple to announce the MacBook this quarter. Let's not forget that many buyers have been holding off on iBook purchases, hoping to replace them with Intel based systems. When the MacBook is released, I expect sales to be strong. My hope is that Apple will avoid repeating the MacBook Pro supply-demand problem when it announces the MacBook.

My expectations are as follows:
- MacBook (iBook replacement) this fiscal quarter which ends in June (April- June)
- PowerMac replacement will be announced next fiscal quarter which runs from July to August
- iMac and MacBook Pro updates prior to the 2006 Holiday Shopping Season

I expect iMac and MacBook Pro revisions for two reasons. The first is that Apple will want to have new models available prior to the holiday season, new models would be good marketing, plain and simple. Second, the Intel based iMacs and MacBook Pros announced in January are referred to by Apple as "Early 2006". This simple naming scheme would indicate that revisions later in 2006 are likely.

Examples include the Apple docs that refer to the Firmware updates for MacBook Pro (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookproearly2006firmwareupdate101.html) and iMac (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imacearly2006firmwareupdate101.html)

Just my 2 cents

mikea
May 3, 2006, 03:46 PM

sure, but don;t you think if apple wanted the new price, since everyone knows it's coming down, they'd get it sooner?

daveL
May 3, 2006, 03:50 PM
sure, but don;t you think if apple wanted the new price, since everyone knows it's coming down, they'd get it sooner?
Could be, but I know it won't be later.

bill4588
May 3, 2006, 03:57 PM
I have a feeling it may launch next Tuesday. Isn't the iBook's birthday May 10th? Or is it May 1st? I know next Tuesday is the 9th but it's close enough lol.

Macnoviz
May 3, 2006, 04:08 PM
I have a feeling it may launch next Tuesday. Isn't the iBook's birthday May 10th? Or is it May 1st? I know next Tuesday is the 9th but it's close enough lol.
It won't come out of the blue, probably it will be announced during a special event with appropriate Stevenote, and invitations normally come out a week before that.
On an unrelated note, I have silent hopes that Apple would release/announce the Macbook on May 9, since it's my birthday then, and I want to spend the money I get on the Macbook (I already have most of it, so I'm thinking about getting the higher end one of the low-end line)

chuckles:)
May 3, 2006, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=BlackLilyNinja]but why MacBook? why not iMacBook? or macinbook or iMook or iRanoutofideas?

Do you actually have a better name to recomend?

Because those ones could take MacBook any day.

and I like the sound of MacBook it seaperates the product from the iBook, which is a good distinction for Apple to make.

bill4588
May 3, 2006, 05:13 PM
Listen for the love of God it's going to be called MACBOOK. Why else would they add "pro" to MacBook PRO?! It would be dumb for them to keep the name iBook (as cool as iBook sounds).

jjd
May 3, 2006, 05:17 PM
Have you been on an airplane lately? You couldn't ask for a better spot to watch a movie.

As long as you don't want to do anything else. :mad: There is still no in-seat power adaptor for MagSafe. I won't be buying any new Apple laptop till there is.

besiktas jk
May 3, 2006, 05:47 PM
Who cares about the name of it ? As some people already mentioned before, it can be named even BigMac. If the configuration and price is okay for me, I will buy it, that's all. But still rumors and rumors...

KindredMAC
May 3, 2006, 06:22 PM
You're kidding right???
You are telling me that you "don't even have TV's for the most part" yet you all have LAPTOPS to watch movies on?

I was at WalMart this weekend and could have walked out of there with a 15" LCD TV for $248. The cheapest Mac Laptop, with EDU discount, is $949.

When I went to college, over a decade ago, only the kids with rich parents had computers in their apartments/dorm rooms, but for God's sake there was a 24" TV in my apartment which I still have in my home office now. And that damn TV was a HAND ME DOWN.

If a college kid can afford a tablet Mac with a "dock" then I think you can go buy a 32" Tube TV at Target/WalMart for $100.

But anyways... MacBook, June 13th... no sooner. Just in time for Graduations.

bill4588
May 3, 2006, 06:38 PM
June 13th?! Things aren't the same as they were 10 years ago....well at least around here. Graduation for me is May 23! cant wait :D But I wont be getting my graduation gift til like July when apple is supposedly having their "cram and jam" sale.

Sammie2u
May 3, 2006, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=KindredMAC]You're kidding right???
You are telling me that you "don't even have TV's for the most part" yet you all have LAPTOPS to watch movies on?

Hey, I'm a grad student working in college residence halls, and it is true. It is not that they can't afford the TV, it is just most use their computers for EVERYTHING, tv, movies, games, homework, taking notes in class, etc, etc, etc... the majority of my student have computers, even the "poor" kids, not all have TV's

~Shard~
May 3, 2006, 06:54 PM

Next Tuesday is my brother's birthday - that must mean something... new MacBooks! ;) :D

Di9it8
May 3, 2006, 06:55 PM

Will it not be called the MacBookAm:rolleyes:

Multimedia
May 3, 2006, 07:06 PM
So This Is The New "Anticipation" String? This is getting to be a shell game. :confused: :eek: :D :p

You guys and gals have been over here for 7 hours and I didn't know it!! I was hanging out at last wek's "Anticipation" string all day today wondering why it was slow.

OK So my pitch of the day is wouldn't it be nice if Apple went after the sub-$1k market with a $799 model?

garethh
May 3, 2006, 07:08 PM
I've got to give a research paper for my masters on the 31st and want to use Keynote. The presentation's date has kept slipping, but unfortunately so has the MacBook. I don't really want to ask to borrow my professor's iBook for the occasion!

steve_hill4
May 3, 2006, 07:09 PM
June 13th?! Things aren't the same as they were 10 years ago....well at least around here. Graduation for me is May 23! cant wait :D But I wont be getting my graduation gift til like July when apple is supposedly having their "cram and jam" sale.
June 13th? May 23rd? I graduated on 2nd July a few years ago now, (two I think), and a friend is graduating this year on about the 18th July. How does the US college year compare to the European/British one? Seems shorter to me.

aarongobo
May 3, 2006, 07:23 PM
I bought a cheap Compaq over last Thanksgiving, $499 after taxes and rebate. I couldn't wait for the low end Macbook anymore, as my very recent Dell (at $1100, P4, ATI discreet graphics), was just a load of crap - blue screen when you tried to hook something up to either the Firewire or USB port (not to mention the calls to India - that's another forum). I gave it to my friend's daughter to use for e-mails and chatting. The $499 Compaq works fine and is very stable.

Apple needs a cheap laptop, looks like the $499 laptop is becoming more and more common. Would be an atrocity if the low end Macbook at $1099 has the same specs as a $499 Windows one....

Well, to start off, I am a student who would like to switch to macs for their graphics and the ability to BOTH play games AND use mac programs like I have at school. A macbook would be perfect for me, however taking away a dedicated graphics card will loose many buyers like myself, who need a graphics card for games and other graphics-intensive programs.

With that aside, i too have the 499 compaq laptop everyone is talking about, and it is stable... but extremely slow. It works for IM and word processing, but that is it. Second, you don't deserve to be here if you bought a Dell recently that has a P4 chip inside. That's just stupid, hence the title

Stridder44
May 3, 2006, 07:48 PM
Listen for the love of God it's going to be called MACBOOK. Why else would they add "pro" to MacBook PRO?! It would be dumb for them to keep the name iBook (as cool as iBook sounds).

Amen.

Im ashamed to see fellow MR people debating over something so stupid...it kinda reminds me of the "THERE CAN BE NO OS X 10.4.10!!!!!11!1!!!1!! NUMBERS DO NOT GO PAST 10 GAHJALEFHULHFJKLDHSAJFD;AS" debate...@!#$%

knackroller
May 3, 2006, 08:09 PM
How about OS 10.4.9.1, 10.4.9.2, 10.4.9.9.

Sammie2u
May 3, 2006, 08:18 PM
Maybe this is normal and I've just never noticed, but when I logged on to my school's apple store today, they were "recommending" iBooks and offering an additional $200 off the price plus the typical educational discount. Hopefully this means they are trying to clear out stock quickly! :)

bill4588
May 3, 2006, 08:28 PM
Maybe this is normal and I've just never noticed, but when I logged on to my school's apple store today, they were "recommending" iBooks and offering an additional $200 off the price plus the typical educational discount. Hopefully this means they are trying to clear out stock quickly! :)
really? what school? mine is normal....

KindredMAC
May 3, 2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah, mine is not showing what you claim either.

gauriemma
May 3, 2006, 08:39 PM

Geez...who do you work for that's so secretive to the point of fanaticism? Bush? (Or more likely, Cheney?)

Sammie2u
May 3, 2006, 08:40 PM
Southern Illinois Carbondale...

Normal Prices: $999.00 (12 inch) & $1299.00 (14 inch)
School School Prices: $949.00 (12) & $1199.00 (14)

on the side it says recommended systems and I clicked on it, iBook prices with a "promo savings" $799.00 (12) & $999.00 (14)

Again, maybe this is normal, but I hadn't seen it before... or maybe it is just a promo, but the timing seems interesting doesn't it? The other computers are at their normal educational discounted prices.

generik
May 3, 2006, 08:49 PM
And Intel chips are just as proprietary as any other common chips.

This assertion is nonsense, how is a PPC chip less proprietary than say an Intel chip? Let's see.. hmm, so Freescale and IBM stops development on this platform, and Apple can turn to other alternatives... NOT.

On the other hand for Intel, if they do slack and have their chip line stagnate, wait! There's AMD! And if AMD slacks off too, wait still, there is Cyrix! And suppose Cyrix (VIA) slackens too as well, don't worry, there's Transmeta! And if Transmeta also snoozes around like the rest, then Apple need not worry, because the WHOLE PC INDUSTRY is stuffed anyway, so it is not like Apple will look bad with their x86 offerings.

DimFlicker
May 3, 2006, 08:56 PM

on the side it says recommended systems and I clicked on it, iBook prices with a "promo savings" $799.00 (12) & $999.00 (14)

Again, maybe this is normal, but I hadn't seen it before... or maybe it is just a promo, but the timing seems interesting doesn't it? The other computers are at their normal educational discounted prices.

Now thats just damn tempting...

bill4588
May 3, 2006, 08:58 PM

I think those may the be refurbished prices....cuz a 12" iBook refurb is usually $799....but I can only guess because I cant find what you're talking about on the site.

aussie_geek
May 3, 2006, 09:05 PM
Amen.

Im ashamed to see fellow MR people debating over something so stupid...it kinda reminds me of the "THERE CAN BE NO OS X 10.4.10!!!!!11!1!!!1!! NUMBERS DO NOT GO PAST 10 GAHJALEFHULHFJKLDHSAJFD;AS" debate...@!#$%

:eek: :eek: easy up on the red bull mate!! :D

this thread is getting quite interestingly off topic. pretty much every current issue about OS names, Apple's new 'books' names, graduations and last but not least the famous Tuesday phantom releases are in here. keep it up people!!

aussie_geek

weitzner
May 3, 2006, 09:13 PM
You're kidding right???

I was at WalMart this weekend and could have walked out of there with a 15" LCD TV for $248. The cheapest Mac Laptop, with EDU discount, is $949.

When I went to college, over a decade ago, only the kids with rich parents had computers in their apartments/dorm rooms, but for God's sake there was a 24" TV in my apartment which I still have in my home office now. And that damn TV was a HAND ME DOWN.

If a college kid can afford a tablet Mac with a "dock" then I think you can go buy a 32" Tube TV at Target/WalMart for $100.

it's not that we're "poor college students," it's that it's just that no one has a tv. i'm not making this up. of course for the most part, the movies we watch are downloaded and not on dvds:D but at any rate, we really do use our computers for everything, at this point you NEED a computer and having a tv is usually seen as an uneccessary hassle.

WebHead
May 3, 2006, 09:16 PM
Agreed. I think it's pretty obvious that the iBook will be renamed MacBook. As stated, why have a MacBook Pro w/o a MacBook in the first place?

Er, for the same reason there'll be a Mac Pro but not a plain ol' Mac?

Steve's comments aside, iBook makes just as much sense as MacBook. You have to look at them in terms of consumer and pro, not desktops and notebooks:

iMac, iBook
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro

Sammie2u
May 3, 2006, 09:21 PM
I think those may the be refurbished prices....cuz a 12" iBook refurb is usually $799....but I can only guess because I cant find what you're talking about on the site.

Maybe they are just the refurbishe and I didn't read carefully enough. I logged on to the Southern store, authenticated myself with my user name, yadda, yadda, and on the right side of the store screen it says "recommended systems" and has a green check mark next too something that says "systems that meet your needs" or something of that nature. When i clicked on this, it shows each iBook and their specs and has the educational discount price listed, under which each says promo with $150 off the 12 inch and $200 off the 14 inch... maybe it is just a SIUC thing... I don't know, it just seemed like a good omen, so I thought I would share :D

Not that this helps my crediblity, but I logged on to the apple store for my undergrad (my school account hasn't expired) and the recommended section is not on that store, maybe it is just a Southern thing

AidenShaw
May 3, 2006, 09:53 PM
The "plain ol' Mac" will, of course, be the new form factor mini-tower with the Conroe chip (single socket, dual-core).

Perfect filler for the huge gap between the tiny, limited expansion MiniMacIntel and the huge, limited expansion maxi-tower quad PowerMac (or Woodcrest-based quad MacIntel).

Macbook Pro <= PowerBook
Macbook <= iBook
Mac Pro <= PowerMac
Mac <= new mini-tower form factor MacIntel
MiniMac <= MiniMac

Aiden is predicting it, so when The Steve announces the "Mac" minitower in July you can do a simple wai (http://www.1stopchiangmai.com/how_to/wai/) to Aiden, and I will bow back in kind....

tekriter
May 3, 2006, 10:09 PM
Geez...who do you work for that's so secretive to the point of fanaticism? Bush? (Or more likely, Cheney?)

Not directly (I'd shoot myself), but I do work for a company that makes stuff for the gummint...

timswim78
May 3, 2006, 10:11 PM
The "plain ol' Mac" will, of course, be the new form factor mini-tower with the Conroe chip (single socket, dual-core).

Perfect filler for the huge gap between the tiny, limited expansion MiniMacIntel and the huge, limited expansion maxi-tower quad PowerMac (or Woodcrest-based quad MacIntel).

Macbook Pro <= PowerBook
Macbook <= iBook
Mac Pro <= PowerMac
MiniMac <= MiniMac

Aiden is predicting it, so when The Steve announces the "Mac" minitower in July you can do a simple wai (http://www.1stopchiangmai.com/how_to/wai/) to Aiden, and I will bow back in kind....

I like the idea of a "Mac." Mini's and iMacs are too crippled (in terms of upgradeability), and PowerMacs cost too much for me to justify buying them in order to have upgradeability.

twoodcc
May 3, 2006, 10:20 PM
I like the idea of a "Mac." Mini's and iMacs are too crippled (in terms of upgradeability), and PowerMacs cost too much for me to justify buying them in order to have upgradeability.

i agree. even though i do have an iMac, i would rather have a Mac that's more upgradeable

Paulhammer
May 4, 2006, 12:25 AM

Steve's comments aside, iBook makes just as much sense as MacBook. You have to look at them in terms of consumer and pro, not desktops and notebooks:

iMac, iBook
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro

If you go by that reasoning, it shouldn't be the MacBook Pro, but rather just plain old Book Pro...:p

I think AidenShaw has it right. Unless they call the "Mac Pro" the iMac Pro, and use the 'i' designation for desktops and the 'Book' desgination for portables... Who really knows though?

mpw
May 4, 2006, 01:37 AM
Er, for the same reason there'll be a Mac Pro but not a plain ol' Mac?...

The new Apple adverts end with an iMac that's just labeled Mac, now you might say that the ads are for the OS but I think it shows a marketing shift away from the 'i' brand for Mac hardware like I said back in post 14 of this thread.

...maybe the move to having Mac in the name of all hardware products running OSX is so the 'i' brand can be fully cross platform. The iPod already is so Apple would just release iLife for Windows and of course the iPhone will sync with both OSs. What do you think am iRight?

prism_emf
May 4, 2006, 03:04 AM
I'm not going to be surprised, but I doubt it'll happen, if they remove Firewire. I don't think Apple sees Firewire as a going concern in the long term as far as their low-end consumer gear goes. If they did, they'd be making more of an effort to promote it - how much would it cost to include the Firewire cables with the iPod? Why isn't it on the iPod nano?

Cost cutting. The iPod does *not* benefit from FW at all. There's just no point in having a FW chipset in an iPod when every machine out there has a USB 2.0 port. Yes, I know that older iPods worked faster through FW than USB, but that was either because it was better optimised, or that they were just using a FW-USB bridge to get USB compatibility easily. No iPod can approach transfer rates that would be anywhere near the bandwidth limits of either USB 2.0 or FW400.

But when it comes to the iBook successor, I doubt they would take out FW. That would seriously lower the value of iLife - as in, why have iMovie if you can't even plug in a DV camera? Nah, not going to happen.

Beko
May 4, 2006, 03:24 AM
Hey guys,

What about the possibility of Steve introducing the MacBook at the opening of their new flagshipstore in NYC?

mdsll
May 4, 2006, 03:42 AM
Hey guys,

What about the possibility of Steve introducing the MacBook at the opening of their new flagshipstore in NYC?

Nooooo, I can't wait another 2 Weeks.

From Appleinsider:
"In the meantime, rumors continue to swirl around another potential Apple event during the month of May, which would be used to usher in the company's much awaited MacBook line of Intel-based consumer notebooks and some other "iPod product." However, no specific dates have been mentioned."

Let's hope it it an event next Tuesday then (E3?) :)

May 4, 2006, 03:54 AM

Macbook Pro <= PowerBook
Macbook <= iBook
Mac Pro <= PowerMac
MiniMac <= MiniMac

Sorry Aiden, it's NOT gonna happen soon. There is no mini-tower from Apple, for the reasons already exposed in other threads.

And you just forgot the "main link" in your "equation" above...the iMac.

The line-up is like this:

XServe for servers - Woodcrest/Clovertown

MacPro for pros - Conroe/Woodcrest

iMac for SOHO/home/prosumers - Kentsfield (as the iMac will be revamped only by mid-2007)

MacMini - Core Duo/Merom

MBP - Core Duo/Merom

MP - Core Duo/Merom

You saw it here first...thanks very much..! :rolleyes:

Wellander
May 4, 2006, 04:02 AM
Hi,
All I can say is that I hope that they do not have the same type of problems that we have been reading about with the MacBook Pros.
I also that the new powermacs (or what ever they will be calling them) do not have these issues eaither.

kaeptn
May 4, 2006, 04:45 AM
Hi.
I don't know why, but this time I think ThinkSecret.com is right. And the new books will appear.
Great time, Apple's stock is quite high and if they release it, I hope the stock will increase further and my Macbook will be "for free" :)

Bye,
Fritz

AidenShaw
May 4, 2006, 08:20 AM
Sorry Aiden, it's NOT gonna happen soon.
Not "soon", but it may happen?

XServe for servers - Woodcrest/Clovertown

MacPro for pros - Conroe/Woodcrest
I won't speculate on the XServe - it's never made much sense to only have a low-end 1U server IMO. It's been neglected for so long I wouldn't be surprised if it's simply dropped from the lineup. (Along with the weak attempt at a SAN array.)

Conroe needs a different motherboard from the Woodcrest, and Conroe will be much cheaper than Woodcrest. The Woodcrest chipset is more expensive as well, so a Conroe is still much cheaper than a system based on a single Woodcrest.

It would make more sense to put the Conroe motherboard in a mini-tower, and slot it into the product line between the mini and the maxi.

Or, Apple could continue to try to force an all-in-one on those people....

iMac for SOHO/home/prosumers - Kentsfield (as the iMac will be revamped only by mid-2007)

MacMini - Core Duo/Merom

iMac will get Merom the day they're announced. It's a drop-in, and Apple won't stand for the MiniMacIntel way outperforming the iMacIntel.

I'd also expect Apple to go to an all 64-bit lineup as soon as possible.

In the long run, it would be better to have as few Yonahs in the field as possible - it will make it easier to drop 32-bit support in the future if fewer systems are affected.

netdog
May 4, 2006, 08:59 AM
Yes, MacBook to be released in NYC? I Like the sound of an announcement in New York! What is the date of the NYC store opening?

student_trap
May 4, 2006, 09:11 AM
here's what im hoping (realistically) for:

Upper model:

13" laptop
1 gig ram
1.83/2 GHz Core Duo
128 MB dedicated graphics card
100 GB HDD (5.400 rpm.)
iSight
FrontRow
illuminated keyboard

Lower model:

13" laptop
512 megs ram
1.67 GHz Core solo
integrated graphics
80 GB HDD (5.400 rpm.)
iSight
FrontRow
illuminated keyboard

realistic?

[EDIT] as aside note, i would be looking to buy one in the fall, do you think that any teething problems would have been worked out by then?

shadowmoses
May 4, 2006, 09:15 AM

Upper model:

13" laptop
1 gig ram
1.83/2 GHz Core Duo
100 GB HDD (5.400 rpm.)
iSight
FrontRow
illuminated keyboard

realistic?

This sounds like a decent guess, assuming apple dont plan to release a 13.3" MacBook Pro.......

SHadOW

ImAlwaysRight
May 4, 2006, 09:26 AM
Hi.
I don't know why, but this time I think ThinkSecret.com is right. And the new books will appear.Maybe it's because ... TS is bound to get it right when they NAME EVERY SINGLE MONTH AS A POSSIBLE MACBOOK RELEASE! :rolleyes:

First TS predicted a January release, then when they missed that, they said March introduction with possible April shipping dates, then when they missed that they said "June," now they are going with "May," following what AppleInsider has been saying since last November. Reading TS is starting to read like macosrumors.com, which isn't a good thing... :o

May 4, 2006, 09:34 AM
Not "soon", but it may happen?

Well, we may speculate on the dates la Smiths' "How Soon Is Now?"; it might happen by late 2007 or 2008, but not as soon as this year or early 2007...it's just not in Apple's margin profile.

I won't speculate on the XServe - it's never made much sense to only have a low-end 1U server IMO. It's been neglected for so long I wouldn't be surprised if it's simply dropped from the lineup. (Along with the weak attempt at a SAN array.)

Conroe needs a different motherboard from the Woodcrest, and Conroe will be much cheaper than Woodcrest. The Woodcrest chipset is more expensive as well, so a Conroe is still much cheaper than a system based on a single Woodcrest.

The XServe/XSan duo has been doing more inroads than most people ever expected, so I don't think they will be dropped at all. It's Apple's way of getting into the server market, and they are doing pretty well for now.

I agree Woodcrest will be more expensive, but the server feature set/performance combo may justify its usage in top-tier machines. MacPros may use Conroe, but I don't see them in XServes...

It would make more sense to put the Conroe motherboard in a mini-tower, and slot it into the product line between the mini and the maxi.

Or, Apple could continue to try to force an all-in-one on those people....

The problem is that you still fail to acknowledge the role of the iMac in the line-up...it's most probably the best desktop offering ever in the whole PC market, price-, performance- and feature-wise. Apple will not drop this cash cow in benefit of another "floppable" Cube, I am sorry. The MacMini is already filling the non-AIO low-end spot, and providing a good entry-level machine that can run both OS X and Windows with normal performance.

iMac will get Merom the day they're announced. It's a drop-in, and Apple won't stand for the MiniMacIntel way outperforming the iMacIntel.

I'd also expect Apple to go to an all 64-bit lineup as soon as possible.

In the long run, it would be better to have as few Yonahs in the field as possible - it will make it easier to drop 32-bit support in the future if fewer systems are affected.

That's a good point, but unless Merom is fully plug-n-play in existing iMac MOBOs, it won't happen so soon. Apple would never change a computer's architecture in such a hasty manner, especially because the Core Duo has just arrived and will stay around for a while; besides, 64-bit awareness is still far from necessary.

I'd rather bet on successive speed/GPU bumps until Conroe is upon us in mass production...Merom is a mobile chip, and will find a much more anxious market in MBs and MBPs...

peharri
May 4, 2006, 10:06 AM
Cost cutting. The iPod does *not* benefit from FW at all.

That's simply not true. Older Macs (pre-2004) don't even have versions of USB that are usable for the kinds of data transfer we're talking about, as it wasn't until then that Apple started shipping high-speed USB2 in any Macs.

But when it comes to the iBook successor, I doubt they would take out FW. That would seriously lower the value of iLife - as in, why have iMovie if you can't even plug in a DV camera? Nah, not going to happen.

It wouldn't seriously lower the value of iLife, it would only potentially (ie if this is all Apple did) lower the value of one of iLife's components. And Apple can fix that, if they want, by releasing some kind of adapter. It might even make more sense like this, shipping an adapter with Firewire, S-Video, RCA, and DVI-in. No, that's not what pros want, but pros aren't buying low-end laptops. Such an adapter makes more sense for the consumer market and will be more useful.

Additionally, given iMovie will take video feeds from any device with a Quicktime driver, Apple can ship drivers for digital video cameras with USB2 outputs.

Firewire is not some magic bullet that puts digital video in the hands of consumers. It isn't universally adopted, there's an installed base of analog and differently-digital (ie non miniDV) video equipment out there. Video sources are increasing, and I don't see it as likely that, say, the average mobile phone will ever have a Firewire port, no matter how much better the video quality gets. Once upon a time Apple was an active Firewire advocate. They're much more pragmatic these days, and they've proven, with the iPod, they're willing to deprecate it or even remove it completely, even at the expense of losing loyal customers, to save a few cents per package.

I believe it probably will be included, but much of that has to do with it being a feature of the chipset Apple is using, and it being part of the spec of the Mac mini, not because Apple necessarily believes they'll lose sales by dropping it. I'm disappointed, but then I was when they dropped SCSI too.

peharri
May 4, 2006, 10:10 AM
The problem is that you still fail to acknowledge the role of the iMac in the line-up...it's most probably the best desktop offering ever in the whole PC market, price-, performance- and feature-wise. Apple will not drop this cash cow in benefit of another "floppable" Cube, I am sorry. The MacMini is already filling the non-AIO low-end spot, and providing a good entry-level machine that can run both OS X and Windows with normal performance.

I still have difficulty understanding the logic of those who argue that introducing a mid-range headless Mac implies dropping the iMac.

I'd say the iBook and Powerbooks represent greater competition for the iMac than a headless Mac ever would be.

The iMac is an all-in-one. If you want a mid-range tower Mac right now, you have one choice: Buy it from Dell, and install a pirate version of Mac OS X. And that's not even legal. Nobody who wants a mid-range tower's going to buy:

- A Mac mini - because it isn't one.
- An iMac - because it's not one either.
- A PowerMac - because it's too expensive

And nobody who wants an iMac is going to buy a mid-range tower, even if they do come out. They might buy a notebook though, as notebooks are AIO too.

alfismoney
May 4, 2006, 10:53 AM
i'm not sure if apple's release logic is going to stand that well anymore. i want a macbook _if_ they have dedicated graphics. if whatever apple releases doesn't have that, i'm buying the low end macbook pro and grumbling for the next year until something i actually want to buy is released. then i'm probably going whine and decide to pass over upgrading my macbook pro that i don't really like for another two years.

so my question is this: is it beneficial for apple to hold off on announcing product specs like this? i would have ordered a computer back in january if i had known what the macbook specs were going to be. i don't even need specific info, i just want to know important things like that integrated graphics are or are not on the drawing board. is it more cost effective to have the customer's cash in hand (ahh collecting interest) from day one or to keep your competition in the dark as long as possible and ruffle your customers' feathers? i have a feeling that apple loses money in sales but makes it back from the media covering its press releases so closely. whatever. at least it's finally getting closer to macbook launch.

vespats
May 4, 2006, 10:56 AM
Here is my opinion (actually a mixture of realism and hope):

13.3 macbook single core 1.67, white, $999
13.3 macbook dual core 1.67 (maybe bto 1.83), igp, white, $1249
13.3 macbook pro, dual core 1.83 (maybe bto 2.0), x1?00, black $1499-1699

at the same time mbp 2.0 and 2.13 (think about the price of the 17 mbp)

i will not buy a mb or mbp with a igp and i don't think that i'm the only one.

there must be a cute replacement for the 12 pb - so why not use the mobo and chip of the imac and put it in a black macbook case.

costs are still reduced and there is also a visual difference between the 13.3 mb and the 13.3 mbp (and there are a lot of black nanos out there, so why not a black 13.3 mbp)

lets see what happens...

stew400523
May 4, 2006, 11:22 AM
Hi I haven't posted much but please don't flame me. I only post when I think its important. I was wondering what are other people's estimated shipping date for their 17" MacBook Pro? Mine is scheduled to ship by May 10th and to be arrived by the 17th. I called an apple rep and he even said that it could be shipped as early as the 5th of May.

dukebound85
May 4, 2006, 11:33 AM
You're kidding right???

That's how it is in school since you need a computer for the most part in college but not a tv. So when a computer can play dvd's why buy a tv. That's how I did it as well as my friends. It's not an issue over affordability for the most part (can be we are college stsudents after all)but more making the most use of what you have.

mac000
May 4, 2006, 11:55 AM
My guess is the reason the Intel iBooks are taking so long to release is 2 things.

1.) They are trying to make core duo standard across the board/ no core solo, and they are aiming at releasing when the price of the chips fall.

2.) Apple is making sure the Intel iBooks will not have the same hardware problems the MBP's are having.

just my guess,

Balli
May 4, 2006, 12:01 PM

Upper model:

13" laptop
1 gig ram
1.83/2 GHz Core Duo
100 GB HDD (5.400 rpm.)
iSight
FrontRow
illuminated keyboard

I am going on holiday to Japan in August. If Apple releases a MacBook with those specifications before I get back to England, then I will definitely buy one while I'm out there!

icloud
May 4, 2006, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by student_trap

Upper model:

13" laptop
1 gig ram
1.83/2 GHz Core Duo
100 GB HDD (5.400 rpm.)
iSight
FrontRow
illuminated keyboard

I am going on holiday to Japan in August. If Apple releases a MacBook with those specifications before I get back to England, then I will definitely buy one while I'm out there!

That would make it nearly better then the macbook pro. I wish that something like that came out though, going to pick up a new machine in the next 1/2 year

DimFlicker
May 4, 2006, 12:05 PM
When is the store in NYC openning? and is it possible they would release the macbook in conjunction with that?
jobs is going isn't he?

icloud
May 4, 2006, 12:06 PM
My Guess

Pure speculation, but the apple "get a mac" ads that are running on apple.com will be followed with the macbook announcement. The quicktime homepage is a bit laggy, so I can't imagine it lasting more then 1 week or 2, and after that, Macbooks

mac000
May 4, 2006, 12:15 PM
"On the other side of Apple's business, the analyst's report said that he doesn't expect Apple to experience the same issues with an Intel-based iBook as the company saw with the MacBook Pro. He explained: "We believe Apple wanted to release the MacBook Pro in conjunction with Macworld '06 and, we believe, the company was, therefore, forced to announce the product before it was fully prepared. With the iBook, Apple does not have to manage around a set tradeshow date and can simply announce and ship the product when it is completely ready."

http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2006/05/04.1.shtml

i certainly hope so, i still cannot understand how Apple released the MBP with such a high percent of them having issues. The cheapest PC laptop wouldn't ever see that day...

Multimedia
May 4, 2006, 12:18 PM
"On the other side of Apple's business, the analyst's report said that he doesn't expect Apple to experience the same issues with an Intel-based iBook as the company saw with the MacBook Pro. He explained: "We believe Apple wanted to release the MacBook Pro in conjunction with Macworld '06 and, we believe, the company was, therefore, forced to announce the product before it was fully prepared. With the iBook, Apple does not have to manage around a set tradeshow date and can simply announce and ship the product when it is completely ready."

http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2006/05/04.1.shtml

i certainly hope so, i still cannot understand how Apple released the MBP with such a high percent of them having issues. The cheapest PC laptop wouldn't ever see that day...Excuse me, but What "Issues" Has The MBP Had? I Don't Remember Any "Issues" Being Reported. Have I overlooked an "Issues" string? As far as I know, they all work perfectly. Please explain the meaning of the word "Issues". :eek:

I am not kidding. I do not know of any issues being reported here. THIS IS NOT A SARCASTIC JOKE POST.

ImAlwaysRight
May 4, 2006, 12:24 PM
Excuse me, but What "Issues" Has The MBP Had? I Don't Remember Any "Issues" Being Reported. Have I overlooked an "Issues" string? As far as I know, they all work perfectly. Please explain the meaning of the word "Issues". :eek:
I KNEW IT! Multimedia must work for AppleCare! :rolleyes: :) They always pull that same shlt on me when I call with any issue that is well known in user forums.

Multimedia
May 4, 2006, 12:33 PM
I KNEW IT! Multimedia must work for AppleCare! :rolleyes: :) They always pull that same shlt on me when I call with any issue that is well known in user forums.I am not kidding. I do not know of any issues being reported here. If they are so well known how come I have not read about any? I AM NOT BEING SARCASTIC. I AM SERIOUS. WHAT "ISSUES"?

I wish I did work for AppleCare. Can you hook me up?http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060503235133.shtml ?Thanks for the clue. Now I understand. I think beta testers should be glad these are the only problems.

Heat, Flicker, Noise, Battery Failure, Improper Heat Sink Coolant Installation Instructions - what's the problem? - NOW I'M BEING SARCASTIC.

mdsll
May 4, 2006, 12:35 PM
I am not kidding. I do not know of any issues being reported here. If they are so well known how come I have read about any? I AM NOT BEING SARCASTIC. I AM SERIOUS. WHAT "ISSUES"?

I wish I did work for AppleCare. Can you hook me up?

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060503235133.shtml ?

netdog
May 4, 2006, 12:51 PM
Dying batteries
Whine
Heat

Others?

mac000
May 4, 2006, 12:58 PM
I am not kidding. I do not know of any issues being reported here. If they are so well known how come I have not read about any? I AM NOT BEING SARCASTIC. I AM SERIOUS. WHAT "ISSUES"?

I wish I did work for AppleCare. Can you hook me up?

I swear I would call Apple Care and be like "yea theres like 25+ dead pixels on my screen, the fan on my computer sounds like a lawnmower, my keyboard isn't working, my mouse broke, the side of my computer is melting..." and Apple Care A) wouldn't believe me, B) tell me to repair disk permissions.

I swear those 1st rep's you get a hold of at Apple Care are bogus, If anyone's ever actually got through to the "2nd" rep, you know what Im talking about

mac000
May 4, 2006, 01:01 PM
Once I got into an argument with the owner of a local Apple repair store bc I had install/reinstall OSX dvds that did not work.

Anyways, he told me Apple Care reps get paid for how many calls they make, they are suppose to try to get you off the phone as quick as possible so they can make their money..

thogs_cave
May 4, 2006, 01:12 PM
I swear I would call Apple Care and be like "yea theres like 25+ dead pixels on my screen, the fan on my computer sounds like a lawnmower, my keyboard isn't working, my mouse broke, the side of my computer is melting..." and Apple Care A) wouldn't believe me, B) tell me to repair disk permissions.

I swear those 1st rep's you get a hold of at Apple Care are bogus, If anyone's ever actually got through to the "2nd" rep, you know what Im talking about

Apple, like most computer companies, has "tiers" of support reps. The "tier 1" people who answer the phone usually can't do more than just read a script. The good ones are few and far between.

I was "tier 4" for $LARGE_UNIX_COMPANY, and I was sometimes driven nuts by the "tier 1" people. For example, being at a large customer site, having debugged a problem with a very expensive computer, calling the call center, identifying myself, and asking for the necessary part only to be asked for the basic configuration information.

Me: "Perhaps you don't understand. I work for xyz, just like you, and I'm the senior engineer at the customer site. I need $PART from the depot, now!"

Droid: "I'm sorry, but I need the $DIAGNOSTIC_UTILITY output before I can open a case."

Me: "AAAAAAGH! There *is* a case, I've already given you the number."

...and so on...

I blame the companies who hire entry-level, low-cost people (often not even in the same country) to do the front-line support. It should be just the opposite - people with experience could reduce customer frustration and the number of calls held. But, as long as $SUITS run things, that'll never happen.

mp42
May 4, 2006, 01:17 PM
The MacBooks are already in production (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0604macbook.html), for at least a month now. I guess Steve is just waiting for the perfect moment.

Multimedia
May 4, 2006, 01:29 PM
The MacBooks are already in production (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0604macbook.html), for at least a month now. I guess Steve is just waiting for the perfect moment.Yes. And that "perfect moment" is when marketing has a big enough supply in position all over the planet so when they announce them they can sell them to tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of customers the same day. Patience. :)

Multimedia
May 4, 2006, 01:37 PM
Hi I haven't posted much but please don't flame me. I only post when I think its important. I was wondering what are other people's estimated shipping date for their 17" MacBook Pro? Mine is scheduled to ship by May 10th and to be arrived by the 17th. I called an apple rep and he even said that it could be shipped as early as the 5th of May.Apple's Ship Dates Are Very Conservative And Often Later Than Reality. I've had a ship date out 30 days that shipped the day after I placed the order. So what you were told could very well be true. :)

DimFlicker
May 4, 2006, 02:16 PM
Excuse me, but What "Issues" Has The MBP Had? I Don't Remember Any "Issues" Being Reported. Have I overlooked an "Issues" string? As far as I know, they all work perfectly. Please explain the meaning of the word "Issues". :eek:

I am not kidding. I do not know of any issues being reported here. THIS IS NOT A SARCASTIC JOKE POST.

Battery recall.. and the electrical issues with Mag-safe. Those are the legit ones I know of.

Willis
May 4, 2006, 02:26 PM
this thread has sort of gone off topic with the mention of Xserves and stuff. quite frankly, theres no point trying to guess, because i dont many of us would be right.

Klut
May 4, 2006, 02:36 PM
So, the new get a mac adds, will make many people visit apple.com
then they kind of need a cheap laptop to show off, therfore, Macbook the next incoming days.

Also, as soon as I see a MacBook in the applestore, I will order it right away.

:)

May 4, 2006, 03:32 PM
I still have difficulty understanding the logic of those who argue that introducing a mid-range headless Mac implies dropping the iMac.

I'd say the iBook and Powerbooks represent greater competition for the iMac than a headless Mac ever would be.

The iMac is an all-in-one. If you want a mid-range tower Mac right now, you have one choice: Buy it from Dell, and install a pirate version of Mac OS X. And that's not even legal. Nobody who wants a mid-range tower's going to buy:

- A Mac mini - because it isn't one.
- An iMac - because it's not one either.
- A PowerMac - because it's too expensive

And nobody who wants an iMac is going to buy a mid-range tower, even if they do come out. They might buy a notebook though, as notebooks are AIO too.

Peharri, if the answers were so obvious in your favor, Apple would've released one already...fact is, a non-AIO MidMac goes DIRECTLY against the margins presented by the iMac (or low-end MBs, for that matter).

Therefore, there is no point in launching a machine that will: 1) almost kill the need for a MacMini; 2) kill the clear need for an iMac.

A MidMac ought to be between the MacMini and the iMac price-wise...how does Apple do that? I have no clue, and I find it really insane in terms of market strategy...I'd rather kill the MacMini and launch a MidMac, but at the risk of losing the low-end/switcher market altogether...

Again, my vote is NO...and Apple is following my opinion as well, ever since 1996 (Cube excluded).

Willis
May 4, 2006, 03:59 PM
As seen here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_ZVgYLAqs

Steve says that upto that point, Intel sales account for 50% of all Mac Sales. Thats shows how popular Apple and the Mac brand is right now. These TV ads, (sadly not in the UK) will answer many peoples questions. Although, i can bet that most people would buy an iMac to replace their own PC because of bootcamp. BUT, i sure do hope these Macbooks come out soon.

Even if its a lowkey event, It wont matter much, because people will buy them regardless.

C-Man
May 4, 2006, 04:19 PM
Im betting the new ibooks are going to be announced next week. With this new media blitz Jobs would be an idiot not to release them...unless of course they ran into more delays (splooging too much thermal grease on the mainboards). Also I got a $30 off coupon from Apple that expires on the 6th so that might mean something too.

Southerner
May 4, 2006, 04:23 PM
Before anybody says something, yes I know the new Intel iBooks are going to be called MacBooks.

Imagine this situation in a shop selling Macs:

Buyer: I'm interested in buying a MacBook
Retail Assistant: Sure, which one?
Buyer: (confused) the laptop, I mean...
Retail Assistant: Yes, the normal one or Pro? (Brings out both versions)
Buyer: Now I'm confused!

and

Buyer: I would like to buy a MacBook
Retail Assistant: OK, come this way and choose the specs you'd like on your new Mac (taking the buyer to a row of MacBooks on display)
Buyer: Oh no, sorry, I mean the powerful ones, MacBook Pro
Retail Assistant: Oh no probs, easy mistake there (takes the buyer to the MacBook Pros)

This could bring confusion with people buying their first Mac by telling which is MacBook or MacBook Pro or some simply calling the MBP as MacBook they can't be arsed to say "Pro" though that would really help to differnate both models.

I believe the new Intel iBook should be named differently to MacBook Pro, unlike some people I don't think MBP is named because it is a prosumer laptop so the consumer laptop is MacBook...

I think it is because the MacBook Pro is named in line with the Mac Pro (new name for Power Mac) so I would like the consumer laptop to remain as iBook or iMacBook using the "i" going with iMac. That wouldn't cause problems by saying which MacBook - the normal one or the Pro one.

sarcosis
May 4, 2006, 04:26 PM
Before anybody says something, yes I know the new Intel iBooks are going to be called MacBooks.

and

Retail Assistant: OK, come this way and choose the specs you'd like on your new Mac (taking the buyer to a row of MacBooks on display)
Retail Assistant: Oh no probs, easy mistake there (takes the buyer to the MacBook Pros)

This could bring confusion with people buying their first Mac by telling which is MacBook or MacBook Pro or some simply calling the MBP as MacBook they can't be arsed to say "Pro" though that would really help to differnate both models.

I believe the new Intel iBook should be named differently to MacBook Pro, unlike some people I don't think MBP is named because it is a prosumer laptop so the consumer laptop is MacBook...

I think it is because the MacBook Pro is named in line with the Mac Pro (new name for Power Mac) so I would like the consumer laptop to remain as iBook or iMacBook using the "i" going with iMac. That wouldn't cause problems by saying which MacBook - the normal one or the Pro one.

That's a good point. This problem can be easily solved. If the sales person is doing his job, he should just not be talking orders, he should be qualifiying the user to the machine that would best fit his needs. If that is done, then there shouldn't be any problem. But most people just take orders, so we will see how this goes.

Multimedia
May 4, 2006, 06:33 PM
As seen here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_ZVgYLAqs

Steve says that upto that point, Intel sales account for 50% of all Mac Sales. Thats shows how popular Apple and the Mac brand is right now. These TV ads, (sadly not in the UK) will answer many peoples questions. Although, i can bet that most people would buy an iMac to replace their own PC because of bootcamp. BUT, i sure do hope these Macbooks come out soon.

Even if its a lowkey event, It wont matter much, because people will buy them regardless.Thanks for the link to those historic videos. Unfortunately that is not what Steve said. He said that they had completed converting 50% of the line to Intel - iMac, 15" MBP and now mini in 60 days. Next comes 17" MBP, iBooks then PowerMacs. That's what he said - not that the Intel Macs accounted for 50% of sales.

AidenShaw
May 4, 2006, 09:19 PM
Therefore, there is no point in launching a machine that will: 1) almost kill the need for a MacMini; 2) kill the clear need for an iMac.
These arguments amuse me to no end....

Why wouldn't Apple try to sell as many computers as possible?

If there's a form factor that people prefer to what Apple is making now, why wouldn't Apple jump on the chance to increase their market share?

Apple's quarterly reports say "X Macs shipped", so if X can be made bigger, isn't that good?

Why would any company ignore potential sales in order to keep up sales volumes on computers that people know are compromises?

Wait until July, when for the price of a 1.66 GHz MiniMacIntel you can get a Dell or HP mini-tower with a dual-core 2.66 GHz Conroe, a 250 GB standard disk, a PCIe x16 graphics slot, room for additional optical or hard disks, spare PCI/PCIe slots, 8 GiB of *standard* RAM.... (not 8 GiB standard, but using cheap high volume DDR2 DIMMs, not the more expensive laptop SO-DIMMs)

Tell me in July that people should buy the $2700 Woodcrest-based PowerMac, not the $800 Dell.... Or that Apple is doing the right thing by sticking to its legacy model strategy.

Multimedia
May 4, 2006, 09:38 PM

If there's a form factor that people prefer to what Apple is making now, why wouldn't Apple jump on the chance to increase their market share?

Apple's quarterly reports say "X Macs shipped", so if X can be made bigger, isn't that good?

Why would any company ignore potential sales in order to keep up sales volumes on computers that people know are compromises?

Wait until July, when for the price of a 1.66 GHz MiniMacIntel you can get a Dell or HP mini-tower with a dual-core 2.66 GHz Conroe, a 250 GB standard disk, a PCIe x16 graphics slot, room for additional optical or hard disks, spare PCI/PCIe slots, 8 GiB of *standard* RAM.... (not 8 GiB standard, but using cheap high volume DDR2 DIMMs, not the more expensive laptop SO-DIMMs)

Tell me in July that people should buy the $2700 Woodcrest-based PowerMac, not the $800 Dell.... Or that Apple is doing the right thing by sticking to its legacy model strategy.Bravo and I'll second that. Right now it does appear that Apple is behaiving in a clingy kind of way to the OLD-THINK instead of DIFFERENT-THINK. I do hope they snap out of it when, as you are fond of reminding us, they will be surrounded by radically cheaper alternative Intel processor computers. Going to be a lot harder for a customer to spend a lot more for a Mac that may only be marginally faster with the only differentiation being style and OS X. :rolleyes:

yadmonkey
May 4, 2006, 09:47 PM

I'm marking your words! :D

Steve Jobs said in a recent interview that he wanted to have the name Mac in every computer they sell. That's part of why they re-branded the Powerbook. I think it'll just be the Macbook and the Macbook Pro instead of iBook and Powerbook.

AidenShaw
May 4, 2006, 09:59 PM
Bravo and I'll second that.
Going to be a lot harder for a customer to spend a lot more for a Mac that may only be marginally faster with the only differentiation being style and OS X. :rolleyes:
Thanks.

But where does the "marginally faster" assumption come from?

With all the parts coming from the same bin, "marginally slower" is just as reasonable.

peharri
May 4, 2006, 09:59 PM
Peharri, if the answers were so obvious in your favor, Apple would've released one already...fact is, a non-AIO MidMac goes DIRECTLY against the margins presented by the iMac (or low-end MBs, for that matter).

I don't know why Apple hasn't released one, but I'm bewildered that you continue to claim, without justification, that the iMac and a mid-range headless Mac would occupy the same market.

People who want an AIO want AIOs. People who want headless Macs want headless. You don't want one and settle for the other. People who can't get iMacs might get Macbooks, but they certainly wouldn't want towers.

That's a fact. That's why *I'm* not buying a Mac any time soon. I actually want one, but Apple doesn't offer one that suits my needs. The PowerMac is too expensive, and arguably obsolete. The Mac mini is too underpowered. There is no Mac in the middle. The iMac is not an option, it is not a headless Mac, it wouldn't work.

Apple may agree with you, but they're wrong if they do. I know, personally, they're missing out on sales because of this. They simply do not have machines lined up for certain major markets. End of story. And your total lack of justification means I continue to be BEWILDERED that people think a mid-range headless Mac would compete with the AIO iMac. There is no justification for such a claim. If there was, people who claim this would explain it.

milatchi
May 5, 2006, 12:00 AM
I for one welcome our new MacBook overlords.

vccavtech
May 5, 2006, 12:14 AM
a friend of mine has a friend at the mac store who says they will be out by may 19th. i know that it makes it sound more like a rumor when i didn't hear about it myself, but i trust this guy.

ImAlwaysRight
May 5, 2006, 02:20 AM

and

I don't really see the issue with the two names MacBook/MacBook Pro. I seriously doubt someone will confuse the two once it comes down screen size and, more importantly, total price. If someone really is confused about the models, that's what the sales people are for anyway.

a friend of mine has a friend at the mac store who says they will be out by may 19th. i know that it makes it sound more like a rumor when i didn't hear about it myself, but i trust this guy.
It's been mentioned many times before, but Apple Store employees know absolutely nothing when it comes to new models coming out. Once when I was in for a computer repair, I talked to the senior manager about rumored products, and he told me even he doesn't know when new products are coming out. I suppose that is why Apple generally releases new products on a Tuesday -- so they can time deliveries for Monday for the managers to get new products ready after close on Monday for the store opening Tuesday morning, and keep rumors to a minimum. If you've ever noticed, often full specs are published to rumor sites the day before release. That's because with all the retail locations, some employee is bound to end up an "anonymous source."

It's good that your friend's friend even knows about the MacBooks, though. That means s/he probably keeps up with sites like this one. Most Apple Store employees are pretty clueless if you ever try to hold a conversation with them about rumored, soon-to-be-released products. I've had more than one blank stare when bringing rumored products up in conversation with them, so much so that I don't even bother mentioning it anymore. :rolleyes:

aswitcher
May 5, 2006, 02:25 AM

Tell me in July that people should buy the $2700 Woodcrest-based PowerMac, not the $800 Dell.... Or that Apple is doing the right thing by sticking to its legacy model strategy.

Such a machine be a near perfect next Mac for me. I want the grunt of an iMac (or even grunter) without the screen and with a bit more flexibility. Macmini dont cut it but a Mac made of full sized cheaper PC parts would...

May 5, 2006, 04:27 AM

Well, you must have been amused since...forever then, because that's Apple's business model for ages. You make three very basic mistakes in your assumptions:

1) Apple has NEVER cared about number of Macs shipped, or overall market share...it's about return of investment to its shareholders and profitability. Luckily, with the iPod and the Halo effect, we are able to see a gradual growth in market share, and this IS good PROVIDED Apple's desired margins are kept.

Does that happen now? Yes. Will it happen with your daydreamed mini-Tower? Not necessarily, and Apple is FULLY aware of that.

2) Second basic mistake: you keep on assuming that your opinion (and of a few others in MR) represents the will of the market.

I, for one, couldn't care less about a damn mini-Tower. I don't wanna buy a new monitor, I don't wanna mess with connections and cables, I don't need expansion slots as my iMac already gives me EVERYTHING I need.

I want a clear computing solution, and there is NO comparable offer to the iMac in the ordinary PC/Winblows market. And that's why you see iMacs flying off the shelves. Their price is WONDERFUL and the set of features incomparable to the rest.

3) If you just wanna talk about price, keep buying a beloved Dell, ma boy. Apple's line-up is ALREADY competitive enough to fight for the mid-range PC market, and we all know you can buy a crappy machine for 399 at Wal-Mart or Aldi...does it run OS X? Does it have iLife? Does it carry the design and quality of an Apple? Never.

Be assured that a MacPro woodcrest will blow the doors away of most PCs in the same range; but for those on a budget, why not buy a beige box? 1% of market share increase for Apple already means billions more...it doesn't need a cutthroat fight for low prices.

In addition, your flawed assumption also presumes that the MacMini will stand still in space and time, receiving no updates until your vapor Dell/HP towers come to the market. As you said in previous posts, the Conroes Dell will receive ARE the Conroes Apple will receive, at the same time if not sooner. As for the rest of your specs, the only "advantage" to the PC tower is the presence of a PCI slot...but again, MOST consumers don't even know what it's for...they don't need it.

monkeyandy
May 5, 2006, 04:46 AM
LoopRumors think that new MacBooks could be out next Tuesday. Check out the following link:

http://looprumors.com/index.php?macbooks-tuesday

I hope its true!

:D

longsilver
May 5, 2006, 04:48 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the spec on what will, I agree, most probably be called the Macbook. I do wonder whether we might see some minor upgrades to the iMac as well - anyone heard anything on that front?

What makes me particularly curious is the fact that the Apple UK online refurb store is selling the iMac 17" 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo /512 /160 /SD /ATIX1600-128MB /BT /AP at a 16% discount and the iMac 20" 2GHz Intel Core Duo /512 /250 /SD /ATIX1600-128MB /BT /AP at a 15% discount. Neither is listed as a "Refurb" model.

Are these models appearing on any other refurb stores? Is this just a one-off or an attempt to shift some inventory in anticipation of a speed-bump?

Coyote2006
May 5, 2006, 06:20 AM
I expect something like this:

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=26&l3=0&model=1067&modelmenu=1

:cool:

vccavtech
May 5, 2006, 07:17 AM
LoopRumors think that new MacBooks could be out next Tuesday. Check out the following link:

I hope its true!

I think they mean that the apple store people find out tuesday, but dont get to release them till the 19th

peharri
May 5, 2006, 07:38 AM

I hope its true!

I'm not seeing anything that might qualify as a launch event for the machine on that day, so I'm going to say no on this one. How do they know they're Macbooks anyway? There's almost certainly an upgraded MBP in the pipeline because the 17" is kicking the 15"'s rear at the moment, to give one example of something we know is going to happen. I'm not saying it's the new 15" MBP, it might be an upgraded iPod nano, a set of 5.1 speakers, or a whole bunch of other things that wouldn't merit a launch event, assuming there's any truth to the rumor to begin with.

No launch event = no MacBook.

Be patient... it's coming, it's just not here yet. All the pieces have to fall in place first.

AidenShaw
May 5, 2006, 07:50 AM
2) Second basic mistake: you keep on assuming that your opinion (and of a few others in MR) represents the will of the market.

I, for one, couldn't care less about a damn mini-Tower. I don't wanna buy a new monitor, I don't wanna mess with connections and cables, I don't need expansion slots as my iMac already gives me EVERYTHING I need.
Then you and people like you will continue to buy iMacs, and any mini-tower sales are just additional profit to return to the shareholders.

But, it seems like I'm not the only one who assumes that his own opinion is the "will of the market". :rolleyes:

Be assured that a MacPro woodcrest will blow the doors away of most PCs in the same range...
If "door blowing" means performance, I'm actually quite assured that an Apple Woodcrest will perform exactly the same as an HP Woodcrest - subject to obvious external component choices. The CPU, chipset, memory, disk controller, network, ... will be the same.

For example, put a 10K RPM Raptor in one and a 7.2K RPM disk in the other, and run a disk benchmark. The one with the Raptor (be it Apple or HP) will almost certainly win.

Edit: Whether OSX is faster or slower than XP on the Mac Pro Woodcrest is a different question.

The Apple will probably have a more elegant, more expensive case. The appearance of the case is rather minor in my purchasing decision, however. A tower lives in the shadows under the desk. I don't want to give up the space on the desk, and no matter how quiet the fans may be they're quieter on the floor.

I'd rather have room for extra disks, optical drives, easy opening - than "pretty".

In addition, your flawed assumption also presumes that the MacMini will stand still in space and time, receiving no updates until your vapor Dell/HP towers come to the market. As you said in previous posts, the Conroes Dell will receive ARE the Conroes Apple will receive, at the same time if not sooner.
Well, everyone already has Conroes - the manufacturers have samples, and prototype units can be seen in the wild. Just Yahoo! for "conroe benchmarks" and tell me that they are vapor....

As for the rest of your specs, the only "advantage" to the PC tower is the presence of a PCI slot...but again, MOST consumers don't even know what it's for...they don't need it.
Actually, the advantages of a mini-tower over the mini are:

PCIe slots, as you say
Upgradeable PCIe graphics slot (in addition to the integrated graphics - it's possible to have both)
Standard DDR2 DIMMs, not laptop SO-DIMMs (cheaper per GiB)
Standard 3.5" SATA disks (up to 750 GB per disk)
Space for 2nd optical/hard disk (or more)
Much better cooling
Conroe possible in mini-tower, mini would have trouble cooling a Conroe (Conroe's TDP is 65 watts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Next_Generation_Microarchitecture), vs 35 watts for Merom)

Perhaps "Aiden's mini-tower" will actually be a pizza-box or a convertible (many mini-towers can be placed horizontally or vertically).

It may be the Apple MCE (Media Center Edition), in a form-factor the same width as a standard audio or video component.

The mini can't be a true MCE, the disks are far too small and it would be very difficult to get several TV tuners and the requisite array of connectors into it.

A mini-tower or pizza box, on the other hand, could easily have 1.5 TB of disk space and a PCIe tuner card - with plenty of room for connections. The consumer may not know or care what a PCIe slot is - but she'll certainly appreciate the ability to have the TV tuner in an MCE.

Plus, a pizza box could be styled like other video components - I wouldn't want an odd white plastic box in my component stack, that would be ugly.

840quadra
May 5, 2006, 08:21 AM
I have to agree with AS on many points, and want to add a couple more.

The only way that any new Intel Macintosh computer would be faster when compared to others in the market, would be for one of the following reasons.

1. The Apple computer being compared to a similar HP, Dell, or other, came with better quality internal components that offer marginal improvements over the competition of the time.

2. The software being run on the Macintosh runs better on BSD based OS X as compared to the same software being run on Windows. This could possibly be the only reason that some software is faster on a Mac, when compared to Windows systems running on similar Intel hardware.

The only things that will make Apple hardware stand out when compared to the competition, will be the software that can run on their OS, and the OS itself. This has been a part of the equation even back in the 100% PowerPC days, and is nothing new.

And for the record, this reply came from an Apple Computer fan, with 90% Apple hardware in his home.

http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=47064&type=profile&dateline=1127904880

AidenShaw
May 5, 2006, 09:08 AM
2. The software being run on the Macintosh runs better on BSD based OS X as compared to the same software being run on Windows.

This could possibly be the only reason that some software is faster on a Mac, when compared to Windows systems running on similar Intel hardware.
Or slower - such as the claimed problems that OSX has with regards to handling thread scheduling.

My "exactly" the same was a hardware-to-hardware comparison, assuming that the same software runs on both.

Once you start comparing two different operating systems, even with the "same" application, the picture will be less clear.

The choice of compiler and compiler options can make a huge difference. In general, Microsoft's Visual Studio will generate better code than gcc - but one might find that the app on the Apple is compiled for SSE3 optimization, whereas the Windows app might be MMX.

The post I was replying to said

"a MacPro woodcrest will blow the doors away of most PCs in the same range"

Had the claim been

"OSX on a MacPro woodcrest will blow the doors away of most Woodcrest Windows PCs in the same range"

the story would have been different.

In the end, it'll be a "win some, lose some" situation.

By the way, as far as "unix underpinnings" goes - that's probably not going to be important. It certainly hasn't proven to be important for Windows vs. Linux -- there's no clear performance advantage across the board for either one.