PDA

View Full Version : How man wireless networks in your immediate area?

dornoforpyros
May 4, 2006, 12:51 AM
So I just moved back to the city and I'm shocked at how many of my neighbours have wireless routers set up.

Before you freak out, Chewbacca is my network, I'm not stealing,nor condoning, stealing of internet access from anyone. I'm just curious as to who can pick up the most networks from their apartment/condo/house

w_parietti22
May 4, 2006, 12:56 AM
2 that aren't mine.

edit: 2 more pop up in the other room, all encrypted.

grapes911
May 4, 2006, 12:58 AM
A little off topic, but being that so many people are on channel 6, you should try 1 or 11. There is a good chance you'll get better reception.

bursty
May 4, 2006, 01:03 AM
just 1 :)

mad jew
May 4, 2006, 01:12 AM
Yeah, just the one for me too. :(

scott2006
May 4, 2006, 01:20 AM
http://ph34rit.com/ok/network.png

dunno what 2wire means? :(
can never connect too them..guess they are for the elementary school behind me

iBlue
May 4, 2006, 01:20 AM
only two showing up, but one of my neighbors is moving so maybe their wirerless router is packed. <shrugs> normally i see 3 networks.

seraphim is mine, obviously.

Kingsly
May 4, 2006, 01:31 AM
There are plenty of man networks, just not many woman ones... sexists!

Edit: *clicks airport status, shocked to find only one available*

Edit 2: five just popped up.

balamw
May 4, 2006, 01:57 AM
I usually only see my neighbors' network which mysteriously went from "linksys" to "Apple Network XXXX" a few weeks back. :D (I know my neighbors two houses down also have Macs).

At most I see 6 others in the neighborhood all but one other than mine are open networks. :(

B

livingfortoday
May 4, 2006, 02:10 AM
Four right now... "default" is mine. I added a password but never use the wireless (don't even remember the password) since my Powerbook died and my Mini is directly hooked up to my router. Gonna fix the Powerbook is the only reason I don't just turn the thing off.

Edit: Oh, and I HAD originally named it "Don't Mooch My Bandwidth", but I felt that could be taken as a challenge, so I toned it down.

terriyaki
May 4, 2006, 02:27 AM
Three including mine. One is hidden and while I use WPA the other two are encrypted with WEP.

The hidden ssid also seems to have a tonne of activity (it has 10+ wireless devices) which is weird because there aren't any businesses around or anything.

adam-uk
May 4, 2006, 06:24 AM
Hey, not to go off topic, but....whats that program ur using to find the networks? Thnx. Ad

iSaint
May 4, 2006, 06:46 AM
Showing three now, but there's four most of the time. It's really kind of amazing given that I live in a lower middle class small town neighborhood.

Yeah, what program is that showing channels? Is it a different widget?

Shamus
May 4, 2006, 06:56 AM
At the moment only my network shows up, but sometimes the wireless network from my school (i live right next to it) comes up. I cant connect to it though, even when Im at the school! :(

Our 'computer technician' has no idea how to configure Macs.

calebjohnston
May 4, 2006, 07:12 AM
3. None of which I can connect to.

Lollypop
May 4, 2006, 07:43 AM
Just one.. mine! I have a old age home behind me and a few of their younger friends all around me.. so no chance for me to pick up anything else! :D

iGary
May 4, 2006, 08:05 AM
Apartment complex....

calebjohnston
May 4, 2006, 08:11 AM
Steal 'em all!

GoCubsGo
May 4, 2006, 08:11 AM
I have 4 including mine. They were all open (not mine) until I passed out a flyer that listed their network name and told them. I don't care to use them, so I didn't care if they knew. I even helped one person secure theirs.

sunfast
May 4, 2006, 08:15 AM
None right now - but then I am in a Hospital!

iGary
May 4, 2006, 08:16 AM
Steal 'em all!

I always wonder if people actually do banking and stuff with an open network.

Dagless
May 4, 2006, 08:31 AM
Just mine.

That's what you get in the hills. hollowed out sheep and no wireless networks. I suppose the radiation from the rocks balances out the wifi though!

dornoforpyros
May 4, 2006, 09:07 AM
Apartment complex....

ding ding ding, we have a winner :p

kjr39
May 4, 2006, 09:14 AM
I had over a dozen when I lived in an apartment. One of them was encrypted (mine.)

In the house, I have 5, two of them are mine and are encrypted, Mac filtered, blah, blah. The other three are open.

Who leaves their networks open!?

dornoforpyros
May 4, 2006, 09:34 AM
I had over a dozen when I lived in an apartment. One of them was encrypted (mine.)

In the house, I have 5, two of them are mine and are encrypted, Mac filtered, blah, blah. The other three are open.

Who leaves their networks open!?

Judging from this thread....50%-80% of people with wireless routers. My last place I could pick up 5 networks, only one was encrypted

Platform
May 4, 2006, 09:44 AM
1 :(

My own...:o

freeny
May 4, 2006, 10:58 AM
Live in congested downtown Manhattan. But at work now. So sorry, no picture. At any given time I get from 8-25 signals. At least 25% of them will be unincrypted;)
There are at least 5000 people living within a block of my apartment:eek: Including two 35 story apartment bldng's right across the street

webcookie
May 4, 2006, 11:35 AM
Just one - mine - and it's password protected. Just one at my boyfriend's house too, but it's unlocked. We both live out in the sticks so the houses are spread really far apart.

IanC
May 4, 2006, 12:17 PM
Just one here at home, mine.

At uni, theres around 4 or 5. For some reason my ibook liked connecting to one of them without my permission.

2nyRiggz
May 4, 2006, 01:01 PM
Just one...which is locked down tight....people in my area don't give a rats arse anyway.

Bless

Moshiiii
May 4, 2006, 02:41 PM
How do you lock a network connection? Through MAC adressing?

terriyaki
May 4, 2006, 04:22 PM
You could use MAC address filtering if you wanted to. You can also use WEP and WPA. Of the three you're probably better off with WPA. WEP can easily be cracked and MAC addresses can easily be spoofed.

macEfan
May 4, 2006, 04:48 PM
1 here... neighbor from somewhere.. I use a wired only connection...

dornoforpyros
May 4, 2006, 04:50 PM

I'm just using WEP, I know it can be cracked easily, but I figure if some one's looking to steal free net access and they have their choice between 5 locked networks and 3 that are not I'm probably safe.

Its the same as locking the doors on your house, it'll keep the honest people out