PDA

View Full Version : Macbooks Tuesday, May 9?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MacRumors
May 4, 2006, 07:08 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

An anonymous source claims that Apple stores are receiving materials for a new window display that's labeled "do not open until Tuesday, May 9th." The source also claims that Apple has directed its stores to push iBook sales this weekend, presumably to clear out inventory.

Recent rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060503120746.shtml) have pointed to the Macbook being released in May, but no specific date had been given.

Update: In addition to further confirmation of more Apple Stores receiving materials for a Tuesday product release, http://www.apple.com/ipod/ looks like it is spilling the beans with a reference to the as-yet unreleased Macbook. In case the site is corrected, a screenshot is mirrored here (emphasis added in image).

iGary
May 4, 2006, 07:12 PM
Oh Christ, let the melee begin.

yankeefan24
May 4, 2006, 07:12 PM
Somehow, I doubt this. Apple stores do NOT get new products in until after the announcement so employee's do not leak it to the press.

Of course if they do, I am going to say its a coincidence.

mikea
May 4, 2006, 07:16 PM
Somehow, I doubt this. Apple stores do NOT get new products in until after the announcement so employee's do not leak it to the press.

It is not a new product they are receiving..It's window displays.
Anyway.

Don't count on it. Here is something that proves, none of these rumor sites have a clue... quoted from this site.
Early rumors
Several rumors circulated in 2005 regarding the introduction of Intel iBooks with varying details, however most of them agreed that they would be introduced in January 2006 at Macworld San Francisco, which turned out to be false.

The earliest rumors suggested that Apple planned to move "lower-end computers such as the Mac mini to Intel chips in mid-2006 and higher-end models such as the Power Mac in mid-2007.
The first rumor of an upcoming Intel-based iBook suggested a 13" widescreen model and an anticipated ship date of April-May 2006.
In mid November 2005, ThinkSecret claimed that Intel iBooks would be unveiled at Macworld, citing highly reliable sources. FALSE It also suggested a price drop of as much as $200 USD was possible.
In early December, ThinkSecret suggested that a 13.3" widescreen iBook will be released, replacing the current 14" model. This would have a maximum resolution of 1280x720, compared to 1024x768 on the current models.
Less than a week later, a Taipei Times report of unknown reliability suggested that Apple would release light-weight notebooks with a stylish design, with a 12" model at 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) and a 14" model at under 2 kg (4.4 lbs).
In mid December, ThinkSecret claimed that Apple would release new iBooks at Macworld, using a dual-core low-voltage 1.5 GHz Yonah processor. FALSE
[edit]
Post MWSF rumors
When Intel based iBooks were not announced at Macworld San Francisco 2006, rumors were that they were likely to be introduced in April-May 2006, but possibly announced as early as March.

In late January 2006, AppleInsider claimed that new iBooks would feature Front Row and Photo Booth software, as well as a built in iSight. It would come in two 13" models, but with a similar design to the current iBooks.
In early February, ThinkSecret reported that Intel based iBooks would be announced in March with a 13" widescreen form factor, and would be available in quantity sometime in April.
In April AFX News Limited claimed that Apple would start shipping the new iBooks in June.
Several days later, AppleInsider and ThinkSecret posted reports agreeing on a name change to MacBook and that they'd be available within 30-60 days. ThinkSecret reported the use of both Core Duo and Core Solo processors, while AppleInsider reported that Core Duo processors would be used exclusively. AppleInsider claims they will be "the most redesigned notebooks to emerge from Apple's famed industrial design studios in several years".
Reiterating previous reports, AppleInsider in April claimed that the MacBook could come in a variety of colors.
In early May 2006, ThinkSecret reiterated that the MacBook is expected in May.

MattQiu
May 4, 2006, 07:17 PM
enough for this... "an anonymous source"?! :(

longofest
May 4, 2006, 07:18 PM

They have gotten new products in in the past, so it very well could be true. However, anonymous sources are hardly reliable, hence this article's placement on page2.

excalibur313
May 4, 2006, 07:19 PM
I was talking to a friend who is an employee and she said that sometimes for certain products the store manager will know up to a week before and frequently they will get products early so they can set up.

Peyton
May 4, 2006, 07:21 PM
I think Apple REALLY needs to get these out asap BECAUSE, education buying season has already begun, and if schools can get a pc with everything a macbook has except OSX, they will, especially if they need their orders in by summer.

(I'm speaking for my university who is choosing between ibooks or some dell thing. They have to order before 15th of May.) :(

Stridder44
May 4, 2006, 07:30 PM
Oh Christ, let the melee begin.

http://www.uruknet.info/uruknet-images/833605429-nuke.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/panic-button.jpg

Ok really though, I think this is it. The big one. Powerbook G5's THIS TUESDAY FTW!!!

QCassidy352
May 4, 2006, 07:42 PM
I know it's been rumored over and over again, but at some point they really do have to come out. Why not now?

If the ship time on the ibook G4 slips in the next few days then we'll know it's true for sure.

All i can say is that i hope there's something better than a "mac mini with a screen" after all this time. If that's all it is then it shoulda been out 2 months ago. So hopefully the delay was because apple was cooking up something exciting that will really wow people.

ero87
May 4, 2006, 07:43 PM
that's kindof lame of Apple, to "push" sales of a product that's about to become obsolete in 2 days.

Doctor Q
May 4, 2006, 07:43 PM
Somehow, I doubt this. Apple stores do NOT get new products in until after the announcement so employee's do not leak it to the press.They may get unlabeled boxes, not to be opened until a certain date. That's how Apple can have products for sale in retail stores soon after an announcement.

It may be the same for window displays.

longofest
May 4, 2006, 07:46 PM
All i can say is that i hope there's something better than a "mac mini with a screen" after all this time. If that's all it is then it shoulda been out 2 months ago. So hopefully the delay was because apple was cooking up something exciting that will really wow people.

haha! you figured it out! It's just a mac mini with a screen, nothing more :p

sarcosis
May 4, 2006, 07:54 PM
As optomisitc as i want to be, I don't think it will be true. Most of the time, stores will indeed get something that says do not open. Is it the Macbook, prolly not.

It's like many have said before, there will be an event to unleash these puppies. And many people in the press world need at least a week to get coordinated. So i think that when they are launched, we will know something at least a week ahead of time.

swingerofbirch
May 4, 2006, 07:54 PM
Maybe it's posters for the Get a Mac campaign.

Although I disliked the ads, you can't get much more direct than "Get a Mac." It has the same coercive feel as P Diddy's "Vote or Die."

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 4, 2006, 07:56 PM

Although I disliked the ads, you can't get much more direct than "Get a Mac." It has the same coercive feel as P Diddy's "Vote or Die."

Didn't even think of that...

...that's got to be what it is. Right?

QCassidy352
May 4, 2006, 08:05 PM
Didn't even think of that...

...that's got to be what it is. Right?

Why wait until next tuesday to put up window displays matching an ad campaign that's online and on tv right now?

There definitely doesn't have to be an event to unveil these. These little media events are a relatively new thing. Historically, new apple products have just shown up in the apple store with no fanfare.

In fact, unless apple has more to talk about than the macbook, I think an event would be really stupid. At the Feb. event there were 3 new products (mini, hifi, ipod case). Apple isn't going to call reporters in and unveil one new product.

Some of you doubters seem to have fallen in to the trap of thinking "well the rumors have all been wrong so far, so this must be wrong too." But by that logic, the macbook is *never* coming. There's reason to be skeptical, but there's also reason to think that the macbooks are coming quite soon. Rumor a release enough times and eventually you'll be right! :p

twoodcc
May 4, 2006, 08:13 PM
well i doubt this is true, but i can always hope that it is true.....:eek:

dongmin
May 4, 2006, 08:16 PM
I know it's been rumored over and over again, but at some point they really do have to come out. Why not now?I don't know about you, but for me, the more "MacBooks next Tuesday" rumors I read, the less I'm likely to believe them.

I still refuse to believe that Apple will do a 'stealth release' of these MacBooks. Common, they did a special event for a bloody ipod case. Until Apple sends out special invites to the media, I'm not getting my hopes up.

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 4, 2006, 08:18 PM
Why wait until next tuesday to put up window displays matching an ad campaign that's online and on tv right now?

There definitely doesn't have to be an event to unveil these. These little media events are a relatively new thing. Historically, new apple products have just shown up in the apple store with no fanfare.

In fact, unless apple has more to talk about than the macbook, I think an event would be really stupid. At the Feb. event there were 3 new products (mini, hifi, ipod case). Apple isn't going to call reporters in and unveil one new product.

Some of you doubters seem to have fallen in to the trap of thinking "well the rumors have all been wrong so far, so this must be wrong too." But by that logic, the macbook is *never* coming. There's reason to be skeptical, but there's also reason to think that the macbooks are coming quite soon. Rumor a release enough times and eventually you'll be right! :p

Good point. Although maybe they're squeezing the last bit of life out of their iPod Boombox adverts and imac/macbook pro/mini adverts that currently occupy the windows (at least, at my store...)

dongmin
May 4, 2006, 08:24 PM
Historically, new apple products have just shown up in the apple store with no fanfare.Are you serious? Show me one new product Apple has introduced in the last 5 years without a special event. The occasional speed bump, yes; major redesigns, no.

macgeek2005
May 4, 2006, 08:29 PM
Whatever the MacBooks turn out to be, i'm waiting for Rev B, and buying a Maxed out Top of the line model.

QCassidy352
May 4, 2006, 08:39 PM
Are you serious? Show me one new product Apple has introduced in the last 5 years without a special event. The occasional speed bump, yes; major redesigns, no.

well, speed bumps are never saved for special events.

I could be wrong, but I think the ibook went from G3 to G4 with no event, and the 15" powerbook went from Ti to Al with no event.

Other than that, I guess you're right. But I wasn't thinking about expos. Since when does apple do little "media events" to release things apart from a major expo?

truz
May 4, 2006, 08:42 PM
I hope the macbooks release this tuesday ;) I can't wait to see if they are in a new design and if they come in black and white colors :D

I hope they come loaded with a 2.0gh intel core duo and x1600 video. I'm sure not, but I hope ;)

hscottm
May 4, 2006, 08:58 PM
isnt it possible that the macbooks WERE supposed to be released with the boom box, mac mini, etc - but the creeping MPB tech problems (rev A-D) caused Apple to be more cautious on the ibook replacement's release?

If the problems being discussed elsewhere on page 1 about the issues with the MBP are as serious as listed, it would certainly give Apple good reason to hold off producing more problem machines.

Its not like the designs would be all that different inside. If they were using equivalent components (eg fans, paste, etc) then the exact same problems would have appeared in the new laptops..

nws0291
May 4, 2006, 09:01 PM
This could possibly be true because my girlfriend is on a waiting list for a 12" powerbook for this sale that was suppose to happen last friday in store but it got moved back to this weekend because the manager said they had word from above to move it to this weekend and he thought it might have been moved so they can advertise the new macbooks at the time of the sale this weekend and then release them a few days later. Idk just a thought. And also my gf is in love with the 12" and I told her to wait but she hates windows and will only use it for aim internet and word processing and the science programs she needs for pre-med.

Koodauw
May 4, 2006, 09:05 PM

actually, with an emac update once, we found out because an apple store had gotten them before they were announced, and he broke the news to us. although i doubt this would happen with such a big announcement.

speak of which, Jim i think i still owe you a coke.

EricNau
May 4, 2006, 09:06 PM
Maybe this will be the real one...

This is about as late as Apple should push it for educational markets IMO.

Also, Apple will be at the E3 in LA on May 10-12, what a perfect time to show off new Macbooks. :)

puckhead193
May 4, 2006, 09:07 PM
i just hope they change the design somehow...

sarcosis
May 4, 2006, 09:17 PM
Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best. I do agree the timing is right. The education market started a week or two ago. Peeps grabbing stuff up for graduation parties. This is the time, and it might be to late for those people they want to pick up. Who knows, i'm not a marketing industry person quite yet. Have to finish college for that one.

themacman
May 4, 2006, 09:21 PM
lets hope that these new macbooks have no problems like the verse rev mb pro has.

inmotion
May 4, 2006, 09:24 PM
argh let's get this over !
give me macbook !

macgeek2005
May 4, 2006, 09:27 PM
If the higher class model has a BTO to 2.0Ghz, i'm getting one.

iPaul
May 4, 2006, 09:27 PM
i have to say this sounds about right....i was talking to an employee at the apple store and asked him if they were going to have an in-store promotion related to the new get a mac campaign, because we were talking about the ads. he said that they had received a new window display for the upcoming week, but that he didn't know the content of it yet.

macpastor
May 4, 2006, 09:29 PM

I beg to differ... I was just in the Apple Store today which my friend happens to manage. He said that at times Apple will send the black pallet... That is, a pallet of new product shrouded in black plastic with orders to not open until instructed to do so. They have not received a pallet like that yet, but he expects them to get one shortly. He is of the mind that Apple will have stock ready to go when they announce.

ppnkg
May 4, 2006, 09:29 PM
Whatever the MacBooks turn out to be, i'm waiting for Rev B, and buying a Maxed out Top of the line model.

Three cheers for that. The sooner rev A comes out, the sooner rev B will.

macpastor
May 4, 2006, 09:32 PM

I was in the Apple Store tonight and all the new signage, and the new program running on the computers centers around the ad campaign. Iin fact the new shirts tell people that you can switch now...

The new slogan also says, buy a Mac, get the Apple Store for free.

daveL
May 4, 2006, 09:41 PM
that's kindof lame of Apple, to "push" sales of a product that's about to become obsolete in 2 days.
Heaven forbid, *nobody* does that! What do you think Dell coupons are for? They are either trying to move products that aren't selling or ones that will shortly be replaced. Give me a break. Companies are out to make a profit, and if they don't, they cease to exist. Timing is everything.

macgeek2005
May 4, 2006, 09:42 PM
I beg to differ... I was just in the Apple Store today which my friend happens to manage. He said that at times Apple will send the black pallet... That is, a pallet of new product shrouded in black plastic with orders to not open until instructed to do so. They have not received a pallet like that yet, but he expects them to get one shortly. He is of the mind that Apple will have stock ready to go when they announce.

That makes so much sense you know why? Because when these things come out, they're going to be so outstanding, in price, looks, and capabilities, and students are going to rush for them, and apple knows that students don't like to wait. So that confirmes what you're saying to be true.

hscottm
May 4, 2006, 09:43 PM
actually, with an emac update once, we found out because an apple store had gotten them before they were announced, and he broke the news to us.

although i doubt this would happen with such a big announcement.

koodauw - nothing personal, but this is hardly a "big announcement". even people on the street (not readers of macrumors) know apple will release ibook replacements soon. alot of people also realize they need to come out ASAP to hit education market.

given that they will likely not look or work TOO much different from the MBPs, I could believe a fairly quiet rollout.

that being said, steve likes being dramatic. he could even make a demo of a 13.3" scaled down version of an MBP look like the moon landing.

EricNau
May 4, 2006, 09:51 PM
when these things come out, they're going to be so outstanding, in price, looks, and capabilities, ...
They better be! We've waiting long enough!

that being said, steve likes being dramatic. he could even make a demo of a 13.3" scaled down version of an MBP look like the moon landing.
More like a Saturn moon landing :p

deanz MOM
May 4, 2006, 09:58 PM
i have to say this sounds about right....i was talking to an employee at the apple store and asked him if they were going to have an in-store promotion related to the new get a mac campaign, because we were talking about the ads. he said that they had received a new window display for the upcoming week, but that he didn't know the content of it yet.
I am going to back you up there. I heard that our local apple store is to get 'shipments' soon from Apple - what they are, there is no information about, but I don't know what else they could be besides the macbooks.

iPaul
May 4, 2006, 10:01 PM
I am going to back you up there. I heard that our local apple store is to get 'shipments' soon from Apple - what they are, there is no information about, but I don't know what else they could be besides the macbooks.

the guy i was chatting with was really reluctant to say anything besides that there was a new display, but from the way he was talking i did kind of infer they were expecting a new shipment of merchandise...let's hope!

Azadre
May 4, 2006, 10:04 PM
I doubt the Macbook will be released this Tuesday. It doesn't make sense. And if it does, oh, well -- I will just wait until June to buy anything.

EricNau
May 4, 2006, 10:06 PM
I doubt the Macbook will be released this Tuesday. It doesn't make sense. And if it does, oh, well -- I will just wait until June to buy anything.
Just curious, why doesn't it make any sense?

iPaul
May 4, 2006, 10:15 PM
Just curious, why doesn't it make any sense?

notice he didn't reply...i really think it makes perfect sense. we knew it was may, we know there is a new ad for TUESDAY, apple just started the get a mac campaign....isn't obvious that they are going to move the consumer line notebook over? people are going to be respnding to these ads, and if they want a notebook they are pretty much out of luck...it has to be the macbook, use logic

EricNau
May 4, 2006, 10:18 PM
notice he didn't reply...i really think it makes perfect sense. we knew it was may, we know there is a new ad for TUESDAY, apple just started the get a mac campaign....isn't obvious that they are going to move the consumer line notebook over? people are going to be respnding to these ads, and if they want a notebook they are pretty much out of luck...it has to be the macbook, use logic
...And Apple has E3 2006 - Los Angeles listed under their events. It takes place May 10-12 which is one day after the MacBooks would be released. Seems like Perfect timing.

macgeek2005
May 4, 2006, 11:05 PM
Yayyy. This is pretty much confirmed. I can't wait!!!

I won't be getting one just yet though. I'm waiting until they have Leopard and iLife 07 on them.

philipcolett
May 4, 2006, 11:26 PM
Anyone see the new iPod ad that came on during the OC? Pretty good!

Kingsly
May 4, 2006, 11:32 PM
Wow, on my mom's birthday... she'll be happy (stock goes up) and sad/mad
(I will be too busy looking at MR to spend quality time on her b-day).

Duff-Man
May 4, 2006, 11:35 PM
Yayyy. This is pretty much confirmed. I can't wait!!!

I won't be getting one just yet though. I'm waiting until they have Leopard and iLife 07 on them.

Duff-Man says...???...pretty much confirmed? what are you smoking? And you can't wait, but you won't buy one until 10.5 +iLife 07 (ie - next year)...yeah, okay, whatever......oh yeah!

firsttube
May 4, 2006, 11:50 PM
Duff-Man says...???...pretty much confirmed? what are you smoking? And you can't wait, but you won't buy one until 10.5 +iLife 07 (ie - next year)...yeah, okay, whatever......oh yeah!

Don't you get sick of typing "Duff-Man says" every time? We understand that it's you, Mr. Man.

gotohamish
May 4, 2006, 11:50 PM
I find it interesting that there is so much discussion about the MacBook being a replacement for BOTH the iBook and the 12" PowerBook. I think it will be both, but two models.

I can easily see there being say a 1.4 Intel Solo, and perhaps a 1.6 Duo as "MacBook 13" widescreen" and then a 1.8 Duo with display spanning etc, as "MacBook Pro 13" widescreen" - creating (FINALLY) a choice of small and affordable to small and powerful laptops.

Fingers crossed, but I see NO REASON why is wouldn't be this coming Tuesday.

EricNau
May 4, 2006, 11:53 PM
Anyone see the new iPod ad that came on during the OC? Pretty good!
You might want to visit this thread:
New iPod adverts (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=198448)

n8grey
May 4, 2006, 11:54 PM
Maybe this will be the real one...

This is about as late as Apple should push it for educational markets IMO.

Also, Apple will be at the E3 in LA on May 10-12, what a perfect time to show off new Macbooks. :)

Is there any chance in h@ll that apple could be releising the rumored iGame and that is the reason they will be at E3? Seems silly for them to be at E3 to promote the MacBook when most games on it will run through Boot Camp.

Pokeon
May 4, 2006, 11:58 PM
Is there any chance in h@ll that apple could be releising the rumored iGame and that is the reason they will be at E3? Seems silly for them to be at E3 to promote the MacBook when most games on it will run through Boot Camp.

Thats a good reason to be at E3 to promote Boot Camp to the gamers say that Macs can now games like the PCs can

skidooairman
May 5, 2006, 12:20 AM
There will not be MacBooks this Tuesday. Get it through your heads that Apple will want a strong Quarter when they release them. A consumer level MacBook, that boots OSX & XP, has iSight and frontrow with remote, will undoubtedly be the best selling iPod accessory available. People will buy these for their iPods, and will buy them in droves. You watch, this is going to be a big success.

shadowmoses
This rumor seems very feasible, after all its about time the iBook is replaced....Can't wait to see the new design of the MacBook should be very nice.

SHaDOW

macgeek2005
This is what we'll see on Tuesday.

13.3-inch MacBook.

1.5Ghz Intel Core Solo
512mb memory
13.3-inch TFT Display
1280x720 resolution
Intel Integrated Graphics
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
iSight/Front Row
Built-in AirPort Extreme
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0
Scrolling Trackpad

$999

13.3-inch MacBook

1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo
512mb memory
13.3-inch TFT Display
1280x720 resolution
Intel Integrated Graphics
60GB Ultra ATA hard drive
4x Superdrive
iSight/Front Row
Built-in AirPort Extreme
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0
Scrolling Trackpad

$1299

13.3-inch MacBook Pro

1.83Ghz Intel Core Duo
512mb memory
13.3-inch TFT Display
1280x800 resolution
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400/128 (BTO 256)
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
4x Superdrive
iSight/Front Row
Built-in AirPort Extreme
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0
Scrolling Trackpad

$1699

skidooairman
May 5, 2006, 12:27 AM
This is what we'll see on Tuesday...

This is what we'll see:

Same iBooks that are there today!!!!!

macgeek2005
May 5, 2006, 12:48 AM
This is what we'll see:

Same iBooks that are there today!!!!!

Oops, you're wrong.

samh004
May 5, 2006, 12:57 AM

Exactly why the sooner they release it the better, I don't care when, as long as it's soon, because I'll have to wait even longer for the Rev. B :)

I'm hoping to get one at christmas, unfortunately I know they generally release products after christmas :(

firsttube
May 5, 2006, 12:58 AM
This is what we'll see on Tuesday...

I like those specs aside from the hard drive sizes. A $1000 notebook and a 40 gig hd? It'd be in apple's best interest to have drive sizes bigger than that. People with no hd space probably won't be buying from the iTunes store, music or whatever else comes along the way. $1700 notebook (with the "Pro" moniker, no less) and a paltry 80 gig hd? I don't think so.

philipcolett
May 5, 2006, 01:03 AM
I am liking the second version personally. I could really care less at the difference between 1.66 and 1.83, as I dont do any photoshop/editing sort of applications. 60 is small for 1300, but plenty for me, and the battery life is probably alot better as well than the 1700.

skidooairman
May 5, 2006, 01:05 AM
Oops, you're wrong.
Macgeek2005,
Why would such an anticipated machine be just dropped onto the market without the big "BANG" that Apple likes to give for such a product. This MacBook is going to be, if not more important, the biggest thing since the iMac G3. Consumer level purchasers (all the non macrumor plebs) are looking to have a laptop are going to buy a macbook, for OSX or XP. You watch.

nylon
May 5, 2006, 01:05 AM
I hope that's C$ you are referring to. ;) The rate we are going up here, it won't be long till we reach US$-C$ parity.

I say 'no more' to calling the C$ the 'Northern Peso'. :D

Wellander
May 5, 2006, 01:10 AM
Hi,
Well I do not know if this means anything.
However on the education store for schools it is now saying that the Powerbook G4 12 inch is now shipping 5-7 days up from 3-5 days for the product.
I am an authorized buyer for my school. That is how I know.

samh004
May 5, 2006, 01:16 AM
This is what we'll see on Tuesday.

13.3-inch MacBook Pro

1.83Ghz Intel Core Duo
512mb memory
13.3-inch TFT Display
1280x800 resolution
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400/128 (BTO 256)
4x Superdrive
iSight/Front Row
Built-in AirPort Extreme
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0
Scrolling Trackpad

$1699

How do you figure we'll get an extra 80 vertical pixels in the same form factor for the pro version ?

Is that possible ?

macgeek2005
May 5, 2006, 01:29 AM
How do you figure we'll get an extra 80 vertical pixels in the same form factor for the pro version ?

Is that possible ?

It's possible. They can make they're computers however they want, and it would be one semi-significant difference between the "Pro" 13.3 inch laptop and the consumer.

Chundles
May 5, 2006, 01:29 AM
I think a 1280x720 screen would be a very bad move. Yes it's HD native resolution but remember, this isn't a portable movie player, it's primary use is a computer. Apple currently do not make a 16:9 screen in any of their products. All the widescreen models are 16:10 and as such if they want to make the 13.3" screen 1280 across then it will be 800 high. You can still play HD movies on it but it will be of vastly more use with the higher vertical resolution. As it stands 768 is at the brink of usability on OS X and even worse on Windows which takes up soooo much space with all the toolbars and window borders and stuff.

If they're going to go the Integrated Graphics route then we'll see two RAM slots.

Definitely a Core Duo option, hopefully SuperDrives standard, all the other bells and whistles blah blah blah.

All I want is a screen bright enough for me to use outside - the current iBook screen is pitifully dim.

Pokeon
May 5, 2006, 01:42 AM
I think a 1280x720 screen would be a very bad move. Yes it's HD native resolution but remember, this isn't a portable movie player, it's primary use is a computer.

Unless it has a uber long battery life...

macgeek2005
May 5, 2006, 01:47 AM
Unless it has a uber long battery life...

Yeah I expect the battery life to be at least 6 hours.

Chundles
May 5, 2006, 01:52 AM
Yeah I expect the battery life to be at least 6 hours.

*Cough splutter* HAHAH!!!

No, you're kidding right. 6 hours? My G4 iBook gets at best 4.5 - 5 hours battery life. I'd expect the Intel version to have the same battery life but much greater "grunt."

Oh, and there's no way in hell this thing's coming out without a special event. No way.

Balli
May 5, 2006, 02:01 AM
Here's my take on what we'll see come next tuesday:

$999.00 MacBook Model

13.3-inch TFT Display
1.5GHz Intel Core Solo processor
512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
1280x800 resolution
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (32MB)
60GB Ultra ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in AirPort Extreme
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Scrolling Trackpad
Sudden Motion Sensor

$1399.00 MacBook Model

13.3-inch TFT Display
1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor
512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
1280x800 resolution
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (64MB)
Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in AirPort Extreme
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Scrolling Trackpad
Sudden Motion Sensor

forrest1992
May 5, 2006, 02:03 AM
Has anyone given any thought to the possibility that it may be called something like iBook Pro?

eugenef
May 5, 2006, 02:10 AM
just a heads up, I believe the rumor maybe true. The IBOOK on my campus has dropped from the educational price of 1200 to 1000, 200 dollar drop. And I kept asking the sales people on campus for how long the product will remain, and she told me till they ran out... what does that spell out to you? Perhaps this maybe true. I SOOO hope it is.

macgeek2005
May 5, 2006, 02:11 AM
Has anyone given any thought to the possibility that it may be called something like iBook Pro?

Nope. Steve Jobs said that they want Mac in the name of their products.

forrest1992
May 5, 2006, 02:15 AM
Nope. Steve Jobs said that they want Mac in the name of their products.

Yes, I saw that too, but I still think iBook Pro looks nice.

If anyone doesn't know, there are companies that will take your current iBook and have it painted in one of about 12 colours, under the shell so it doesn't scratch. Its a service available on eBay.

I think it would be awesome for Apple and eBay to work together and come out with an easy auction/bidding software for eBay called iBay or something. As an Apple user and an eBay bidder, that would be great.

I'd post these as ideas, but it won't let me, nor will it send me the activation code.

Chundles
May 5, 2006, 02:21 AM
Yes, I saw that too, but I still think iBook Pro looks nice.

If anyone doesn't know, there are companies that will take your current iBook and have it painted in one of about 12 colours, under the shell so it doesn't scratch. Its a service available on eBay.

I think it would be awesome for Apple and eBay to work together and come out with an easy auction/bidding software for eBay called iBay or something. As an Apple user and an eBay bidder, that would be great.

I'd post these as ideas, but it won't let me, nor will it send me the activation code.

Under the shell painting was only an option with the G3 "iceBooks" that used clear polycarbonate painted white to give a translucent effect. The current iBooks use white polycarbonate that can only be painted over the top - a service offered by ColorWare.

iBook Pro does look pretty good but it won't be used.

I don't see you Apple/eBay idea coming to fruition though, Apple has a pretty shocking track record of collaborations with other companies in terms of software (clones, Motorola etc.)

aswitcher
May 5, 2006, 02:34 AM
Timing would be right to build on recent advertising push...

forrest1992
May 5, 2006, 02:38 AM
Under the shell painting was only an option with the G3 "iceBooks" that used clear polycarbonate painted white to give a translucent effect. The current iBooks use white polycarbonate that can only be painted over the top - a service offered by ColorWare.

iBook Pro does look pretty good but it won't be used.

I don't see you Apple/eBay idea coming to fruition though, Apple has a pretty shocking track record of collaborations with other companies in terms of software (clones, Motorola etc.)

Open up your iBook case. Take out the white inserts. There glued in, so it takes force. Some parts are taped in, take them out. Soak the shell in methyl hydrate for about 10 minutes and scrub them with a paper towel, it will strip the white paint, leaving it clear. Pop out the apple logo, its glued in. Paint it with a glassware paint. The inside. Under the case. Let it dry. Might as well clean everything while you are in there. Put it back together the same way you took it apart. You can use an adhesive, such as crazy flue or a thing called Goop.

Tada.

Chundles
May 5, 2006, 02:41 AM
Open up your iBook case. Take out the white inserts. There glued in, so it takes force. Some parts are taped in, take them out. Soak the shell in methyl hydrate for about 10 minutes and scrub them with a paper towel, it will strip the white paint, leaving it clear. Pop out the apple logo, its glued in. Paint it with a glassware paint. The inside. Under the case. Let it dry. Might as well clean everything while you are in there. Put it back together the same way you took it apart. You can use an adhesive, such as crazy flue or a thing called Goop.

Tada.

Yeah, that worked on the G3 iBooks but the G4 iBooks don't use clear plastic, the plastic is white all the way through. No amount of paint stripper is going to remove it.

forrest1992
May 5, 2006, 02:42 AM
Yeah, that worked on the G3 iBooks but the G4 iBooks don't use clear plastic, the plastic is white all the way through. No amount of paint stripper is going to remove it.

Would it be possible to replace the G4 iBook case with that of a G3? It would only need some minor adaptions at most...

nagromme
May 5, 2006, 02:42 AM
I thought the new ad campaign would be timed based on the next big Mac release--the MacBook/iBook.

I still think that--even though no MacBook appeared with the ads. Maybe Apple wanted to start the ads ahead of the MacBook and let the campaign have its own splash, and THEN let the MacBook have ITS own splash. More media attention that way.

So if I'm right and the ad campaign signals a new MacBook, then how long will they wait?

1 week seems at least possible, but I'll predict 2 weeks just to be difficult.

Chundles
May 5, 2006, 02:46 AM
Would it be possible to replace the G4 iBook case with that of a G3? It would only need some minor adaptions at most...

Don't know about that - I suppose it could be possible, oh hang on, the G3 used a tray-loading optical drive whereas the G4 uses a slot-loader. That could pose a problem for the bottom part of the case but it could still be OK for the top shell unless they moved the position of the screws.

Chundles
May 5, 2006, 02:50 AM
I thought the new ad campaign would be timed based on the next big Mac release--the MacBook/iBook.

I still think that--even though no MacBook appeared with the ads. Maybe Apple wanted to start the ads ahead of the MacBook and let the campaign have its own splash, and THEN let the MacBook have ITS own splash. More media attention that way.

So if I'm right and the ad campaign signals a new MacBook, then how long will they wait?

If they want to time it with the new campaign then I'd expect an invitation to a special event to be forthcoming pretty soon - the new ads are definitely not aimed at professionals but the only Intel based portable Mac is the MacBook Pro - they really need a consumer focussed laptop to really make use of the ad campaign.

An invitation next week with the special event the week after to show off the new MacBook and some other 30th Anniversary products would be a good idea. If it doesn't come soon it won't be till later in the year - suicide if you ask me, the iBook has to be their biggest selling Mac, surely they'd want some attention on it during edu purchasing season.

Tmog
May 5, 2006, 03:01 AM
I have heard a lot of rumours and is sort of giving up hope - when the iBook is out I want it - until then........

But the logic must be - get it out, Apple can't be selling a lot of iBooks right now, they need a fresh design and up to date processing power (the MBP is okay and cool and so on - but the design is not really innovative)

iPie
May 5, 2006, 03:22 AM

I think that nagromme is right on.

Characteristics of the ads campaign:
1. targeting switchers:confused:
2. conincides with education 'season':p
3. pictures the 'Mac' as young:cool:
4. does not mention anything 'pro'
5. links into iPod:cool:

The current offering of Intel Macs does not really match their ads:
- has to be reasonably priced: youths, education:)
- also many switchers want a decent entry level option: this is missing in the portable market:eek:
- must address portable market - iPod reference
- must be cool:cool:
- switchers want a full package (why would I buy a mini and then be forced to get the right keyboard, mouse etc.):mad:

I also think that the ads and the product have to arrive at the same time, there's no point in getting people all excited about getting a Mac and then discovering that there is a huge gap :eek: in their product offering and that the gap will be filled "before the end of 2007". That's just going to turn them off.:mad:

In any case the Macbook will be a great success, how great depends upon how well Apple pulls this off.

liketom
May 5, 2006, 03:42 AM
well it's about time we had a release -

Maybe we are missing something here ? macbooks are a given but maybe Apple will be pushing out something else too , i think in the last Apple finance meeting Jobs said they had the media thing coverd

i still think that Macbooks have been delayed for the release of the iTunes Movie Store

Work/Play/Watch -Macbook

MacQuest
May 5, 2006, 03:51 AM
... at times Apple will send the black pallet... That is, a pallet of new product shrouded in black plastic with orders to not open until instructed to do so.

Yup.

They have not received a pallet like that yet, but he expects them to get one shortly. He is of the mind that Apple will have stock ready to go when they announce.

Yup.

mpw
May 5, 2006, 03:54 AM
They may get unlabeled boxes, not to be opened until a certain date. That's how Apple can have products for sale in retail stores soon after an announcement.

It may be the same for window displays.
I'll believe it when I see pictures of those unlabeled boxes.... in a lift.

cdpilkington
May 5, 2006, 03:59 AM
If they're receiving display materials, maybe they'll be for announcing the impending release of the MacBook? They could send out event invitations at the same time and have the 'Books released a week after the 9th.

Demon
May 5, 2006, 05:34 AM
despite the terrible laptop Apple produces... i'll be the first to order one... :o

zap2
May 5, 2006, 05:53 AM
If the higher class model has a BTO to 2.0Ghz, i'm getting one.

seems really unlikly seeing how the low end PRO laptop is not that fast:rolleyes:

Poff
May 5, 2006, 06:02 AM
The BIG question:

Are the shops ordered to get rid of their 12" Powerbooks aswell?

This could give some clues on the rumour that the Macbook will replace the 12" Powerbook aswell..

Boggle
May 5, 2006, 06:13 AM
And they'll be delivered by little pink furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. Each one will come with a super-model in a French Maid outfit, or a strapping fire-fighter (purchaser's discresion), also 3 karat diamond, & an MBA from Harvard University Graduate School of Business Administation.

DJS1234
May 5, 2006, 06:19 AM
Calm down everyone, reading this thread it sounds like next Tues. is a set confirmed Apple date. Remember this is still only rumour there are tons of threads all over the rumour site forums that say-
"I know because I put a glass on the wall of Steve Job's office and overheard him say the new Macbook will be released in January/Febuary/March/April/May" etc etc etc

Really we have no clue still and thats the only fact available. Remember this is the company who turned 30 and didn't even release a press statement to the effect.

I can't wait for Macbook but this is still only rumour, if next Tues comes and there isn't a Macbook there will be a new thread started saying 16th March DEFINITE for Macbook cos some guy told me so

Powerbook G5 anyone?:) lol

Come on Apple give us the Macbook (and please before you do take a lesson in how to apply thermal compound to a cpu because laptops are a real pain-in-the-a$$ to take apart to fix your mistakes!)

Willis
May 5, 2006, 06:31 AM
i agree with an earlier post that Apple will release invites on either monday or tuesday of next week for a small press release at the campus. I doubt they'd show much off at E3, but then again, they could.

Bare in mind the 17" never got a formal introduction, but then again, it is just a size update. hmm, all a bit odd i think.

either way, the 'book is coming out soon!

aussie_geek
May 5, 2006, 06:39 AM
Don't you get sick of typing "Duff-Man says" every time? We understand that it's you, Mr. Man.

don't disturb the duffman!! :mad: 'Duff-Man says' is his opening signature just like people have their signature at the bottom of every post.

As for the macbooks, i hope they will be on sale next tuesday as one of my workmates is driving me nuts asking when they will be released. I have been answering 'soon - just hold onto your cash' for over a month...

aussie_geek

petej
May 5, 2006, 06:41 AM
My latest apple store discount voucher expires on 21-May.
There has been a noticable tendancy for these vouchers to expire just before a big product launch. I don't recall ever having a valid voucher for any of the big product launches. So I personally don't expect anything in the next few days.

Like others have speculated, I expect that the Macbook launch will be a fully stocked launch with a huge media blitz. It would appear that with the new ad campain running, Apple have booked quite a few slots so could easily switch the content.

longofest
May 5, 2006, 07:50 AM
Interesting!!!

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

looks like: (I have done some highlighting to show where you really want to look at...)

mdsll
May 5, 2006, 07:54 AM
Interesting!!!

looks like: (I have done some highlighting to show where you really want to look at...)

:eek:

jaxstate
May 5, 2006, 07:56 AM
Something has to be coming pretty soon. Why start airing new tv ads, when you dont have a full up-to-date line up. The ads seem to target younger consumers, so I can see them not releasing the new PowerMacs, but the need to get all the consumer level products out.

liketom
May 5, 2006, 07:57 AM
yeah we've been following that for a few hours on another thread - seems Apple wants us to see that holding page :rolleyes:

gauchogolfer
May 5, 2006, 08:00 AM
Interesting!!!

What a good find!

Quick screen capturing fingers :)

Edit: it's changed back to iPod, btw.

Renegate
May 5, 2006, 08:05 AM
What a good find!

Quick screen capturing fingers :)

Edit: it's changed back to iPod, btw.
i still see macbook

gauchogolfer
May 5, 2006, 08:11 AM
i still see macbook

Yeah, if I click on his link I get to it, and if I remove the ipod.html from the end of Apple's link I get it too. OK, I'm giving this my approval :)

justjosh
May 5, 2006, 08:14 AM
I get it too - still!

That's rather unusual on Apple's part to let something like this out so badly!

Only serves to excite me though - visa at the ready *prays for backlit keyboard*

mdsll
May 5, 2006, 08:17 AM
Waaaah come on Apple Just release it over the weekend already.

Whats the point in torturing us until Tuesday :(

Foxer
May 5, 2006, 08:17 AM
Of course they're coming next week. The iBook that I ordered for my wife arrvied yesterday.

ccool2ax
May 5, 2006, 08:18 AM
Somebody tell me that website isn't true! That the "apple.com/ipod" link is fake! I HATE THE MACBOOK NAME! IT STINKS! I AM YELLING! CHECK MY SIG!

AndyR
May 5, 2006, 08:19 AM
Yep still getting it here too but only if I view the US site. :eek:

Electro Funk
May 5, 2006, 08:20 AM
Interesting!!!

i just navigated there through apples site (not using the link) and the macbook is still there! :eek:

michaelconan
May 5, 2006, 08:20 AM
Hehe... happy to c tis approval... Lets pretty hope tat tis time its REAL...
Come on, MacBook, Let's Rock...:D

jaxstate
May 5, 2006, 08:22 AM
Why would "Macbook" be under the ipod link, seems fishy to me. But this type of mistake has happened in the past.

Iroganai
May 5, 2006, 08:23 AM
Maybe the same cracker who attacked online Korean Apple Store has done it again ...

or the webmaster for that page will soon be fired :eek:

tonyl
May 5, 2006, 08:24 AM
I couldn't wait any more for it and the new iMac.

ImAlwaysRight
May 5, 2006, 08:24 AM
Of course they're coming next week. The iBook that I ordered for my wife arrvied yesterday.
Thanks for taking one for the team! :o

LET'S HOPE THIS RUMOR IS TRUE! It's not from TS, so the likelyhood it is true is much greater! :D

ctango
May 5, 2006, 08:25 AM
Aren't Tuesdays also the release dates for the music industry? It may have something to do with iTunes and new content for your iPod?

Personally I'm hoping for the MacBook now so that by gift giving season I can get one that is rev b.

bigandy
May 5, 2006, 08:26 AM
teee heee :)

can't believe they've not fixed it yet!

mambodancer
May 5, 2006, 08:26 AM

Actually, if the product is ready to ship, it is dropped shipped to the store on the day of the announcement or a few days prior. Having owned an Apple retail store for many years and then just recently worked for a larger computer superstore recently, the advertising and training materials would arrive a bit early. All would be under non-disclosure. Our gripe was always that the Apple stores would receive the product before we would.

iLEZ
May 5, 2006, 08:27 AM
Hmm, those blurred out links in safari in the screenshot peaked my interest! :p
Here's to a MacBook release in the near future! Let's hope for spiffy features!

longofest
May 5, 2006, 08:28 AM
I should note that a few readers had pointed out the apple.com link through the submission system, so it wasn't me that found it ;).

Hmm, those blurred out links in safari in the screenshot peaked my interest! :p
Here's to a MacBook release in the near future! Let's hope for spiffy features!

Don't want to tell the world where I have my email and website hosted, even though they could probably figure it out if they wanted to... :p

Baron58
May 5, 2006, 08:31 AM
i just navigated there through apples site (not using the link) and the macbook is still there! :eek:

Oh, it's definitely there! :D Any web developers looking for a job? Countdown to someone getting $#!^canned in Cupertino in 5.... 4.... 3.... 2.... 1....

"So, why did you leave your last job at Apple?"

"I was fired for disclosing a billion-dollar product 3 days early, and completely taking their iPod page off the corporate site. I tried to tell them it was no big deal, but they stuffed me in a FedEx box and shipped me to Steve Ballmer with a Google return address. I just now got out of the hospital...."

Sol
May 5, 2006, 08:32 AM
That would be great. The same day as Nintendo and Microsoft talk about their consoles. Would Apple compromise the new iBook's 3D capabilities by using Intel graphics again? I hope they make the right choice for the consumer.

Demon
May 5, 2006, 08:33 AM
that's virtually a sealed deal, but still may not mean it's announcement is this week. we'll soon see. i'll be the first to order one ;)
and first to break it.

SFNE Freak
May 5, 2006, 08:34 AM
I can't believe this has survived this long!

alphace
May 5, 2006, 08:37 AM
Ok, hello everybody, I want to join this nonsense! :-P
I believe this page is not a fault, they clearly modified the link in the main itunes +ipod page to link to /ipod/ipod.html and changed the index.html page under ipod/ (ipodnano/ and the others page are still ok with index.html beeing the right page).
Is this a message to tell us macbook is arriving or another marketing trick?

jaxstate
Anyone want to take a guess when the Rev B Macbook will come out:D

longofest
That would be great. The same day as Nintendo and Microsoft talk about their consoles. Would Apple compromise the new iBook's 3D capabilities by using Intel graphics again? I hope they make the right choice for the consumer.

Remember that the MacBook is consumer-oriented (not power-user oriented such as a gamer or a graphics pro). Recent speculation HAS pined the Macbook's graphics to be the integrated Intel GMA950 (is that the right number? same as in the Mac Mini...).

If you need to game, you really should be going for a Macbook Pro...

lonepilgrim
Oh, it's definitely there! :D Any web developers looking for a job? Countdown to someone getting $#!^canned in Cupertino in 5.... 4.... 3.... 2.... 1....

"So, why did you leave your last job at Apple?"

"I was fired for disclosing a billion-dollar product 3 days early, and completely taking their iPod page off the corporate site. I tried to tell them it was no big deal, but they stuffed me in a FedEx box and shipped me to Steve Ballmer with a Google return address. I just now got out of the hospital...."
LOL

snkTab
May 5, 2006, 08:39 AM
OMG US Apple's site hack to show macbook reference on ipod page????

Electro Funk
May 5, 2006, 08:40 AM
Hehe... happy to c tis approval... Lets pretty hope tat tis time its REAL...
Come on, MacBook, Let's Rock...:D

is the H key on your keyboard missing? :p

deadturtle
Mmm MacBook... still sad that they are ditching the i moniker... what is next call the iPod the MusicStick? All well... I just hope that they thinks are light, and solidly priced..

peanut48
ahhh finally the countdown begins

daneoni
May 5, 2006, 08:41 AM
I dunno why i have this gut filling that they is going to be something lacking in the new MacBook when its introduced...just that one thing that'll make it the "not quite there yet" machine. Hope i'm wrong

peanut48
May 5, 2006, 08:42 AM
and we can thank runninmac for pointing out the ipod page faux pas made by apple

mozart
May 5, 2006, 08:45 AM
apple doesn't need a big event to sell the macbook. just look at the hype surrounding it already. holding an event is kinda redundant.
they already have those ads which are targeted to the mass consumer which will direct them to apple.com.

apple will just do a reveal on their site. (hope the rumors are true). and voila the people will wet their pants in joy. yay! and im gonna get one as soon as its out. :)

zenvision
May 5, 2006, 08:46 AM
I've a feeling this whole 'do not open until may 9th' thing is just the 17" macbook pros being put on display in apple stores

ruud
May 5, 2006, 08:47 AM
The page is not a hidden page found by accident, it's a page that is easily navigated to from Apple's own site:
- click on the "iPod+iTunes" tab (this will get you to apple.com/itunes)
- click on the "which iPod are you?" graphic on the left of the page
This will get you to the empty page with MacBook reference.

mozart
May 5, 2006, 08:49 AM
I've a feeling this whole 'do not open until may 9th' thing is just the 17" macbook pros being put on display in apple stores

ooh could be. but did apple do the same for the 15.4 inch macbook pros?

peanut48
May 5, 2006, 08:50 AM
The page is not a hidden page found by accident, it's a page that is easily navigated to from Apple's own site:
- click on the "iPod+iTunes" tab (this will get you to apple.com/itunes)
- click on the "which iPod are you?" graphic on the left of the page
This will get you to the empty page with MacBook reference.

actually this method doesn't work.....if u follow this it'll lead u to the ipod page...

ero87
May 5, 2006, 08:50 AM
Could this mean something?

http://guide.apple.com/action.lasso?-database=macosguide&-layout=cgi_detail&-response=/ussearch/detail.html&prodkey=100728&-search

See how it says "Macbook" in parenthesis? I thought it was kinda fishy, apple seems to be careful to put Pro after every Macbook mention.

SFNE Freak
May 5, 2006, 08:51 AM
That doesn't make sense at all. Why would Apple not display/sell a product that's already been announced if they've got them produced and shipped to an Apple Store?

Electro Funk
May 5, 2006, 08:52 AM

I was told at the beginning of the week (i posted about it in another thread somewhere) by an apple store employee that they were supposed to have the 17" MBP on display that next day... and i was in there on sat or sunday ... cant remember....

gauchogolfer

http://guide.apple.com/action.lasso?-database=macosguide&-layout=cgi_detail&-response=/ussearch/detail.html&prodkey=100728&-search

See how it says "Macbook" in parenthesis? I thought it was kinda fishy, apple seems to be careful to put Pro after every Macbook mention.

In the description for the product, though, it does explicitly say MacBook Pro.

peanut48

well if u read the last sentence in the description it says its meant for the 15.4" macbook pro

Electro Funk
May 5, 2006, 08:53 AM

Brain Cell, Size 4X (MacBook)

Size 4X was designed specifically for the 15.4" MacBook Pro.

EDIT: Damn... Gaucho and Peanut beat me by a min!

peanut48
May 5, 2006, 08:53 AM
In the description for the product, though, it does explicitly say MacBook Pro.

same post :D

ero87
May 5, 2006, 08:54 AM
maybe another clue?

When doing a store-wide search for "macbook," these were the last two results:

Kinda suspicious, right? Cuz the word "macbook" isn't really located on any of these sites, so it must be somehow embedded in them, ready to be unleased on Tuesday. does that make any sense?

liketom
May 5, 2006, 08:54 AM

what the hell is that ?

peanut48
May 5, 2006, 08:56 AM
well all i know is that we seem to have finally got solid proof regarding the macbook and not just speculation...:D

sillycybin
May 5, 2006, 08:56 AM

dont you get tired of using a screen name that is the name of a song by a dude that is f'd in the head and needs to get that head out of his a**?

coumerelli
May 5, 2006, 08:57 AM
Mmm MacBook... still sad that they are ditching the i moniker... what is next call the iPod the MusicStick? All well... I just hope that they thinks are light, and solidly priced..

er, that would be MacStick - or MacSchtick. It'll light you up! heh heh.

man, heads are going to roll over this iPod/Macbook web page...yikes

Electro Funk
May 5, 2006, 09:00 AM
maybe another clue?

Kinda suspicious, right? Cuz the word "macbook" isn't really located on any of these sites, so it must be somehow embedded in them, ready to be unleased on Tuesday. does that make any sense?

What about the 42 other items that came up before those? :confused:

wkhahn
May 5, 2006, 09:03 AM
I so love it when Apple is the one leaking.

It almost seems like they want to leak some products. They had this same problem with iWeb.

p0intblank
May 5, 2006, 09:03 AM
I just woke up to this! :eek: I love it when stuff like this happens. Now I can't wait until Tuesday to see what happens.

Cedd
May 5, 2006, 09:04 AM
maybe another clue?

Hmmm - except they do have the word "book" in both results and they are the very last of over 40 hits. I think the search just responded to the word book and returned them as low ranking finds...

QCassidy352
May 5, 2006, 09:05 AM
Oh, and there's no way in hell this thing's coming out without a special event. No way.

I'm going to remind you that you said that on tuesday.

It's definitely coming on the 9th. :D

jefhatfield
May 5, 2006, 09:07 AM
somehow i doubt we are going to see the consumer portable mactel this month...but it would be nice

but sometime this summer before the next school year would be perfect and i hope they keep the price to $999 for the entry level model

corywoolf
May 5, 2006, 09:10 AM
haha! you figured it out! It's just a mac mini with a screen, nothing more :p
No, your both wrong, its got a keyboard too! :p

justjosh
May 5, 2006, 09:10 AM
considering this odd placement of the word macbook (ie on the iPod page), perhaps we should be prepared for a rather more media-centred device than we have thought?

amac4me
May 5, 2006, 09:12 AM
I was expecting the MacBook to be released this week, especially since the launch of the new "Get a Mac" advertising campaign.

Overall, the sooner Apple can get these out the better.

This would allow Apple to have an additional line of Intel Mac computers available for sale. This is especially important in light of Apple's recent launch of the "Get a Mac" advertising campaign. It would be foolish for Apple to have only a few models available for sale after initiating the campaign.

In context, Apple has to satisfy Wall Street's expectations and projections. The best and safest way to accomplish this would be to announce a new Intel based Mac model each of the next two quarters. The reasons would be two fold. The first would be to capitalize on unit sales on a quarterly basis. Secondly, it would allow Apple to have consistent Mac unit sales on a quarter-to-quarter basis. Apple would be best suited to "play it safe" to demonstrate to Wall Street that it has consistent Mac unit sales quarter-to-quarter. A huge spike in sales in one quarter followed by a quarter in which units sales drop would not look good. Wall Steet prefers to see consistency and growth, not spikes and fluctuations. That's why I expect Apple to announce the MacBook this quarter. Let's not forget that many buyers have been holding off on iBook purchases, hoping to replace them with Intel based systems. When the MacBook is released, I expect sales to be strong. My hope is that Apple will avoid repeating the MacBook Pro supply-demand problem when it announces the MacBook.

My expectations are as follows:
- MacBook (iBook replacement) this fiscal quarter which ends in June (April- June)
- PowerMac replacement will be announced next fiscal quarter which runs from July to August
- iMac and MacBook Pro updates prior to the 2006 Holiday Shopping Season

I expect iMac and MacBook Pro revisions for two reasons. The first is that Apple will want to have new models available prior to the holiday season, new models would be good marketing, plain and simple. Second, the Intel based iMacs and MacBook Pros announced in January are referred to by Apple as "Early 2006". This simple naming scheme would indicate that revisions later in 2006 are likely.

bill4588
May 5, 2006, 09:13 AM
considering this odd placement of the word macbook (ie on the iPod page), perhaps we should be prepared for a rather more media-centred device than we have thought?
wow i just thought of something....current/future laptops are going to do this so its VERY possible. what if they put a tiny LCD and ipod controls on the top of the Macbook (on the back of the screen)? so even if your laptop is off you can still listen to audio or view pics/videos.

corywoolf
May 5, 2006, 09:14 AM
well, speed bumps are never saved for special events.

I could be wrong, but I think the ibook went from G3 to G4 with no event, and the 15" powerbook went from Ti to Al with no event.

Other than that, I guess you're right. But I wasn't thinking about expos. Since when does apple do little "media events" to release things apart from a major expo?

They have done several little media events to release things apart from major expos. There was one for the intel mac mini at the Apple HQ a couple months ago. They have also had several events in San Jose (some theater) to release products.

mxpiazza
May 5, 2006, 09:16 AM
i love how people are chirping in with "no, its not going to happen this week..." any particular reason why not? opinions are valuable, but this is by far the most sense a launch for this product has made in a long time:

- Apple at E3 May 10-12
- New ad campaign
- EDU season
- rumors of Apple store pallets and pushing iBooks this weekend
- distance from last upgrade
- most rumors of the past few months have been pointing to a May release...
- and now the appearance of "MacBook" on their website.

so why not this upcoming week?

direzz
May 5, 2006, 09:18 AM
oh. My. God.

I Am So Flippin Excited!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaa!!!

corywoolf
May 5, 2006, 09:21 AM
wow i just thought of something....current/future laptops are going to do this so its VERY possible. what if they put a tiny LCD and ipod controls on the top of the Macbook (on the back of the screen)? so even if your laptop is off you can still listen to audio or view pics/videos.

No, sorry, that is not Apple at all. It would probably look ugly and serve little purpose. Why wouldn't they just release a widget that mirrors your iPods interface instead? Why wouldn't you just listen to music off your computer through iTunes? I can see it now...

Water cooler talk:

Nelson: "My god Johnson, what in the devil is that thing strapped to your hip?"

Johnson: "Oh, the new iPod Giganto, AKA MacBook? Yeah, big is the new thing, nanos can't hold 30,000 songs!"

Chundles
May 5, 2006, 09:24 AM
I'm going to remind you that you said that on tuesday.

It's definitely coming on the 9th. :D

For some real fun, look for the thread that announced the Mighty Mouse. Try and find what I said about 5 minutes before the store came back online - I think the words "no way in hell" were used then too.

peharri
May 5, 2006, 09:24 AM
Reasons this is bogus:

1. Every Intel Mac so far, despite being an Intelization of an existing Mac, has merited some sort of public launch. The MacBook Pro was announced in a Stevenote. So was the Intel Mac mini. Even the MBP 17", by far the least important of the Intelizations so far, was unvieled at a trade show. No event is scheduled for the 9th.

2. According to the best information we have, this machine isn't just an Intelization, it's an entirely new range of laptops that replaces, rather than upgrades, the iBook. This is even bigger than the Toilet Seat iBooks being obsoleted by the slab iBooks. Name change. New spec. New technology. I don't think this is the new iBook, this is a new machine that's aimed at the same market, or a wider market, and the iBook is being replaced. Whether I think that or not, given the drastic changes we're going to see, why wouldn't there be a Keynote/press conference/etc to show it off? This is far more significant than anything that happened at the infamous February "iPod Speakers" event. Again, no event is scheduled for the 9th.

3. The evidence, even if taken at face value, is classic cart-before-the-horse stuff. So Apple has a product it's planning to release on the 9th. And if the MacBook was being released on the 9th, that's exactly what would happen. Ergo Apple's releasing the MacBook on the 9th!

Well, erm, no. Apple's regularly releasing new products and upgrades of existing products. There are some we know have to be in the pipeline. An upgraded 15" MBP, for example. Higher capacity iPods are likely. Indeed, improved iMacs and Mac minis aren't an impossibility either. Why would new, secret, boxes at Apple Stores only be completely new products?

"Aha", I pretend to hear you say, "But there's also an order to push iBooks". Apple must not know what they're doing if they try to get rid of old stock four days before the new product arrives. An order to push iBooks is likely to go out well before the new product release, not four days before when there's barely any time. If anything, this fact proves that whatever's released on the 9th isn't an iBook replacement. It shows the MacBook is on its way, but that's it...

In conclusion: relax. The MacBook is coming. But look for the right signs. Wait for the launch event.

filterban
May 5, 2006, 09:27 AM
i love how people are chirping in with "no, its not going to happen this week..." any particular reason why not? opinions are valuable, but this is by far the most sense a launch for this product has made in a long time:

- Apple at E3 May 10-12
- New ad campaign
- EDU season
- rumors of Apple store pallets and pushing iBooks this weekend
- distance from last upgrade
- most rumors of the past few months have been pointing to a May release...
- and now the appearance of "MacBook" on their website.

so why not this upcoming week?

It certainly could be this upcoming week, but I really don't think you should look at the E3 event seriously.

Apple goes to E3 every year. I was there in 2001, and they had little more than a small booth with a few Macs and a few games on them. With all of the hoopla around E3 - especially this year with PS3/Wii release insanity - Apple's release of a new MacBook would be lost in the shuffle.

I do agree that the page certainly has leaked information - Mac OS Rumors was clearly wrong when they said there "never will be a MacBook".

So I'm holding out hope. But I can't imagine them releasing a consumer laptop at E3. CES? Maybe. Not E3.

KindredMAC
May 5, 2006, 09:28 AM
yeah but weren't palettes of G5's shipped to the stores ahead of time and wrapped in Black paper and shrink wrapped before they were announced at WWDC a few years back???? I seem to remember there being warnings of not to open until a certain date.

Or was it the 17" PowerBooks???? Oh my God!!!! My mind is going in it's old age!!!!!!!!!

direzz
May 5, 2006, 09:28 AM
Reasons this is bogus:

1. Every Intel Mac so far, despite being an Intelization of an existing Mac, has merited some sort of public launch. The MacBook Pro was announced in a Stevenote. So was the Intel M
nd the iBook is being replaced. Whether I think that or not, given the draefore when there's barely any time. If anything, this fact proves that whatever's released on the 9th isn't an iBook replacement. It shows the MacBook is on its way, but that's it...

[b]In conclusion: relax. The MacBook is coming. But look for the right signs. Wait for the launch event.

Your going to feel really stupid when we get new macbooks on tuesday.

enough said.

MovieCutter
May 5, 2006, 09:29 AM
Yall need to take a chill pill...it's just a laptop. If it doesn't come out when everyone expects it, then we'll have a string of "I HATE APPLE" threads, and if it does, we'll have a string of "I TOLD YOU SO" threads, then complaining about price points, features, availability, QC issues etc.

AndyR
May 5, 2006, 09:35 AM
People seriously need to relax at this! All this I NEED A LAPTOP NOW ELSE I'LL NEVER BUY APPLE AGAIN is just silly. Its only a freakin laptop, stop wishing your life away and live for the moment, not wishing the months away waiting for the next gadget to come out which you won't buy for 3 months anyway so everyone else can get the Rev.A bugs.

Chill.......

QCassidy352
May 5, 2006, 09:39 AM
Yall need to take a chill pill...it's just a laptop. If it doesn't come out when everyone expects it, then we'll have a string of "I HATE APPLE" threads, and if it does, we'll have a string of "I TOLD YOU SO" threads, then complaining about price points, features, availability, QC issues etc.

first, easy for you to say since you already have a MBP. Second, that's what this site is about. Rumors about macs, talking about macs, hoping for macs. Yeah, it's kinda silly, and I'm sure our time could be better spent. But that's the point of this site, and you know that, so what do you expect? :confused:

dornoforpyros
May 5, 2006, 09:40 AM
Man I'm gonna start a rumor from an anonymous source and send it to ad bunch of sites.

"I was talking to a friend, of a friend of this guy I met at this bar beside the apple store. He said the g5 powerbooks are DEFINATLY coming out next week, they've even got like 100 in stock under lock & key" :rolleyes:

May 5, 2006, 09:42 AM
ENOUGH with the g5 powerbooks. it's not clever

excalibur313
May 5, 2006, 09:43 AM
People seriously need to relax at this! All this I NEED A LAPTOP NOW ELSE I'LL NEVER BUY APPLE AGAIN is just silly. Its only a freakin laptop, stop wishing your life away and live for the moment, not wishing the months away waiting for the next gadget to come out which you won't buy for 3 months anyway so everyone else can get the Rev.A bugs.

Chill.......

Please...it's called a portable. It's far to hot to actually lay on bare skin. (Well unless you applied the thermal paste correctly.) Get it right. :rolleyes:

Tastannin
May 5, 2006, 09:43 AM
I'm just waiting to see what the specs on the MacBook are to see if I can justify dumping my 15 inch Powerbook. It's just too big for my daily bus commute.

HURRY UP!!! :D

peharri
May 5, 2006, 09:44 AM
{Message deleted} (Mods, delete this if you want.) (I stand by everything, I just don't see the comment this replaces as adding anything)

twoodcc
May 5, 2006, 09:46 AM
I'm just waiting to see what the specs on the MacBook are to see if I can justify dumping my 15 inch Powerbook. It's just too big for my daily bus commute.

HURRY UP!!! :D

me too. i think it'll be hard to sell my 15" pb though, but maybe not. we'll see. would it be stupid to keep 2 laptops?

MovieCutter
May 5, 2006, 09:46 AM
But that's the point of this site, and you know that, so what do you expect? :confused:

Anything but mass hysteria??? I guess the pattern is just getting old...

johnbro23
May 5, 2006, 09:48 AM
Doesn't anyone else think this is an extremely blatant mistake?

KaiMac
May 5, 2006, 09:49 AM
I just walked into the Apple Store here in Raleigh and there are unopened boxes in the back of the store. I walked up to them and was told to step away by an employee. I asked if it was Macbook displays and they rushed me out of the store by security.

Seriously.

Anonymous

Willis
May 5, 2006, 09:52 AM
This happened with the iWeb fiasco.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:ipodMacBook.jpg

THIS looks promising :D

MattQiu
May 5, 2006, 09:52 AM
I just walked into the Apple Store here in Raleigh and there are unopened boxes in the back of the store. I walked up to them and was told to step away by an employee. I asked if it was Macbook displays and they rushed me out of the store by security.

Seriously.

Anonymous

lol... what if you seen what's in the box, will the security bring in to a small room ? :p

macgeek2005
May 5, 2006, 09:53 AM
I think they're gonna release a 13.3 inch MacBook Pro at the same time as the macbooks.

mdsll
May 5, 2006, 09:54 AM
lol... what if you seen what's in the box, will the security bring in to a small room ? :p

He wouldn't be alive long enough to post about it then ;)

April Dancer
May 5, 2006, 09:57 AM
Mmm MacBook... still sad that they are ditching the i moniker... what is next call the iPod the MusicStick?

Naah, it'll be the MacPod! I sort of like that but what if you've got a Windoze iPod? Too complicated...!

Anyway, I digress... :)

Fabio_gsilva
May 5, 2006, 10:01 AM
No, your both wrong, its got a keyboard too! :p

Lol!:D

peharri
May 5, 2006, 10:04 AM

Seriously.

Anonymous

You think that's bad. When Apple recently accidentally included MacBook as a Google AdWords search term in Spain (or was it Italy? Or Portugal? I can't remember now, the reasons will become clear), I emailed them to ask if that meant the MacBook was on the way.

Not five minutes later, my home was invaded by a group of paramilitaries working for Apple legal. My entire family and I were tortured until we eventually consented to sign a bunch of forms claiming there's no such thing as a MacBook, and no such device will ever be made, and what's more we didn't see it on any Google AdWords system. We were injected with memory loss drugs, and the team left, apparently on their way to see Nick De Plume or something.

Anyway, my personal feeling is that means... MacBooks later today!!!1!!!

besiktas jk
May 5, 2006, 10:05 AM
On the right side of the main page of MacRumors, sometimes it says "MacBooks" instead of "Macbook Pro" under Mac Deals. So, maybe it was that kind of mistake that Apple did on its website. But about the window display issue, I think that could be a clue about the upcoming macbooks. That's what gives me hope about next tuesday.

kingtj
May 5, 2006, 10:09 AM
Well, not necessarily. Apple has always had a policy of letting people exchange a product for an updated version, if the update comes out within 30 days of the purchase. (EG. If you bought iLife '05, and 2 weeks later, iLife '06 hit the shelves, Apple would let you return '05 for credit towards buying '06 if you complained about it.)

Therefore, I would think any orders to "push" sales of iBooks would imply discounting prices on them or offering some kind of incentive (like "Buy an iBook today and get a free case and printer!") or something. Otherwise, lots of those last minute iBook sales would just translate back into exchanges for MacBooks.

tny
May 5, 2006, 10:14 AM
On the right side of the main page of MacRumors, sometimes it says "MacBooks" instead of "Macbook Pro" under Mac Deals. So, maybe it was that kind of mistake that Apple did on its website. But about the window display issue, I think that could be a clue about the upcoming macbooks. That's what gives me hope about next tuesday.

I don't think so. The breadcrumb for macbook pro is Apple > Hardware > Macbook Pro . This would probably be some kind of include file (I don't use WebObjects), so it is *extremely* unlikely that it's just a typo. Most likely they were working on the apple.com/macbook/ page frame and it accidentally slipped into the iPod directory instead, sans the file with the actual content. (Though normally apache would throw an error in that situation).

I was subjected to the hard sell for an iBook last weekend. I think we'll see them by May 23, probably on a Tuesday, and next week is as good a guess as any.

alfismoney
May 5, 2006, 10:23 AM
me too. i think it'll be hard to sell my 15" pb though, but maybe not. we'll see. would it be stupid to keep 2 laptops?

sorry to say it probably would be foolish. even photoshop runs better on my business's macbook pro in rosetta than it does on my powerbook. unless you have great plans to build a media center out of an obsolete (and possibly unsupported by whatever apple releases soon) laptop or have a family member who needs a light use portable you might as well dump it and use the cash towards the new machine.

i for one know my G5 tower is going on the block as soon as i choose a new laptop.

RichP
May 5, 2006, 10:26 AM
While that is true, and, for all intents, the macbook is an ibook replacement, they are not the same product, technically, and would not qualify.

Well, not necessarily. Apple has always had a policy of letting people exchange a product for an updated version, if the update comes out within 30 days of the purchase. (EG. If you bought iLife '05, and 2 weeks later, iLife '06 hit the shelves, Apple would let you return '05 for credit towards buying '06 if you complained about it.)

Therefore, I would think any orders to "push" sales of iBooks would imply discounting prices on them or offering some kind of incentive (like "Buy an iBook today and get a free case and printer!") or something. Otherwise, lots of those last minute iBook sales would just translate back into exchanges for MacBooks.

peanut48
May 5, 2006, 10:27 AM
well seems like apple got rid of the macbook link...ipod page is back

lonepilgrim
May 5, 2006, 10:27 AM
I don't think so. The breadcrumb for macbook pro is Apple > Hardware > Macbook Pro . This would probably be some kind of include file (I don't use WebObjects), so it is *extremely* unlikely that it's just a typo. Most likely they were working on the apple.com/macbook/ page frame and it accidentally slipped into the iPod directory instead, sans the file with the actual content. (Though normally apache would throw an error in that situation).

I was subjected to the hard sell for an iBook last weekend. I think we'll see them by May 23, probably on a Tuesday, and next week is as good a guess as any.
They've fixed the page now it seems. That was up for a *long* time.

twoodcc
May 5, 2006, 10:30 AM
sorry to say it probably would be foolish. even photoshop runs better on my business's macbook pro in rosetta than it does on my powerbook. unless you have great plans to build a media center out of an obsolete (and possibly unsupported by whatever apple releases soon) laptop or have a family member who needs a light use portable you might as well dump it and use the cash towards the new machine.

i for one know my G5 tower is going on the block as soon as i choose a new laptop.

your probably right. but i'm gonna loose a bunch of money if i sell it. i paid over $2000 for it like 6-7 months ago. i probably be lucky to get $1500 for it now, if that

monkeyandy
May 5, 2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks MacRumours!

I stuck this in a forum on here a few hours ago. It was originally anounced on LoopRumours this morning! At least credit them!

http://www.looprumors.com/

"LoopRumors has received an anonymous tip that suggests MacBooks will appear in Apple Stores on Tuesday, May 9th. The source claims that Apple Store employees have seen receivables that are marked "Do not open until Tuesday, May 9th." There have been several anticipated dates for the MacBook's introduction, and all have missed the mark. The most reliable information LoopRumors has to date was published last month."

Cheeky gits! :mad:

UberMac
May 5, 2006, 10:36 AM
Well it's my birthday on 9th May! It's a sign I tells ya'! Steve just wanted to please me :D ;) (Although I'm gonna be able to drive so not everything is good for this community...)

Was the apple.com/ipod really just like that? No graphics or anything? That seems insane! (and as for the "I walked into a retail store" story... :confused: :eek:)

Uber

nagromme
May 5, 2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks MacRumours!

I stuck this in a forum on here a few hours ago. It was originally anounced on LoopRumours this morning! At least credit them!

"LoopRumors has received an anonymous tip that suggests MacBooks will appear in Apple Stores on Tuesday, May 9th. The source claims that Apple Store employees have seen receivables that are marked "Do not open until Tuesday, May 9th." There have been several anticipated dates for the MacBook's introduction, and all have missed the mark. The most reliable information LoopRumors has to date was published last month."

What makes you assume the anonymous source sent ONLY to LoopRumors? I'm sure MacRumors received it independently--they are good about giving credit/links where due. Also, I saw this on MacRumors last night--on Page Two, now moved to Page One because MR now apparently has multiple additional sources lending credence.

MovieCutter
Thanks MacRumours!

That site is a joke...they always say "we told you about..." etc. when they just regurgigitated old junk and they make sure you know that "we told you about this...see, me too...see? see?" like a bratty little sister.

QCassidy352
your probably right. but i'm gonna loose a bunch of money if i sell it. i paid over $2000 for it like 6-7 months ago. i probably be lucky to get $1500 for it now, if that

only sell it if it no longer meets your needs...

Tastannin
May 5, 2006, 10:38 AM

So did I - last August. I probably will get $1000 to $1200 for mine, but I think its a good trade off - I want portability and power, and that is what the MacBook is gonna get me.

Nope it's not gonna be worth it to keep two portables unless you have another family member who can use it.

My only concern is the graphics chip. I've been praying everyday for a decent dedicated video chip in the MacBook. I hope the high end MacBook will have one, but even if they have integrated in the MacBook and the 13.1" MacBook Pro has a dedicated chip, I'll be happy.

twoodcc
May 5, 2006, 10:40 AM
only sell it if it no longer meets your needs...

well it can do "most" of the stuff i do. but there are some things, like watching and editing Hi-Def video. but i'd probably need a MBP for that, and i can't afford that (at least not now). so i guess i'll just wait and see.

monkeyandy
May 5, 2006, 10:41 AM
That site is a joke...they always say "we told you about..." etc. when they just regurgigitated old junk and they make sure you know that "we told you about this...see, me too...see? see?" like a bratty little sister.

Well it was on there way before it was on here!

You guys don't work for MacRumors do you by any chance? :confused:

Cedd
May 5, 2006, 10:44 AM
I've been praying everyday for a decent dedicated video chip in the MacBook.

Now that's what I call dedication to the cause :cool:

I'll have to remember that next time I'm leading intercessions in Church:

"Dear Father please grant us:

1. end to war

2. healing for the sick

3 dedicated video chip in the Macbook.

Amen"

Should go down a storm! :D

ACW
May 5, 2006, 10:44 AM
Apple have now fixed the site. Cant wait till tuesday

jcoffman78
May 5, 2006, 10:46 AM
Correct me if i am wrong but does apple's online store look different, because where the links are for the new intel macs it says "New Macs featuring Intel Processors" did it not something different before? Maybe this "new Window crap" means just that new store windows on the site and not the release if the damn Macbook.

jcoffman78
May 5, 2006, 10:49 AM
Just saw this on thinksecret.com

http://thinksecret.com/news/0605briefly2.html

jacinto45
May 5, 2006, 10:49 AM
Look at this page:

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/macbook/macbook.html

It's for the MacBook Pro, but it begs the question: what will the URL of the corresponding MacBook page be? Perhaps when the above site's address changes to macbookpro/macbookpro.html we'll know something's coming.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly with others who have said that this announcement requires something more than just an update to the Apple store and a press release. Remember: the new iMacs and the MBP were so big that they were the main things at Macworld, and the new Mac mini had its own event with the iPod Hi-Fi. And crucially, those products had virtually the same form factor as their predecessors.

Here, we have an all-new form factor and all-new product name for Apple's most important education product heading into schools' buying season. I just don't see it happening with nothing more than a press release.

jcoffman78
May 5, 2006, 10:54 AM
According to Thinksecret.com May 9th is the Release Date!!!! They have been wrong alot but if they are wrong so help me....

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 5, 2006, 10:54 AM
Just saw this on thinksecret.com

http://thinksecret.com/news/0605briefly2.html

Yeah but they also said 17" MacBook Pro's were being delayed...

...yet they are shipping today. A number of users have said so already. :confused:

iPie
May 5, 2006, 10:56 AM
Here, we have an all-new form factor and all-new product name for Apple's most important education product heading into schools' buying season. I just don't see it happening with nothing more than a press release.

What about the new advertising campaign?

That's certainly more than a press release and seems (to me) to be clearly targeting what is now a huge hole in their product offering: a really cool, moderately priced, laptop.

jcoffman78
May 5, 2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah but they also said 17" MacBook Pro's were being delayed...

...yet they are shipping today. A number of users have said so already. :confused:

I know. I am about to go nuts!!!!

hulugu
May 5, 2006, 11:01 AM
I get it too - still!

That's rather unusual on Apple's part to let something like this out so badly!

Only serves to excite me though - visa at the ready *prays for backlit keyboard*

They do these things intentionally just to watch us go nuts. They did the same thing with the original G5s too.

Peace
May 5, 2006, 11:05 AM
Tuesday MacBooks..Cool!! I was thinking they would be out last week.

Tastannin
May 5, 2006, 11:09 AM
Now that's what I call dedication to the cause :cool:

I'll have to remember that next time I'm leading intercessions in Church:

"Dear Father please grant us:

1. end to war

2. healing for the sick

3 dedicated video chip in the Macbook.

Amen"

Should go down a storm! :D

Well, call me a cold and callous Apple fanatic, but I've prayed and said I don't mind war or famine or plague, just let there be a dedicated video chip in my new MacBook! The MacBook ought to be bulletproof, will keep me distracted from feeling so hungry, and can get online to find cures for whatever ails me, so all's well. ;)

burgertapestry
May 5, 2006, 11:09 AM
It is not a new product they are receiving..It's window displays.
Anyway.

Don't count on it. Here is something that proves, none of these rumor sites have a clue... quoted from this site.
Early rumors

You have a very well prepared synopsis there mikea. What you have missed throughout is the tone and delivery of the 'rumor' orientated threads about product releases and unconfirmed stories.

I don't know about other rumor sites, but macrumors appear to have a very clear policy of placing a question mark (?) at the end of the rumor focussed stories.

Also, they merely provide a commentary on various pieces of information, and it's very rare that they will ever make explicit statements. In this case all they did was tell you something they heard.. they didn't say the macbook is going to be released.

As a result, how can they be criticised for failing to correctly predict product releases, when they made no such prediction in the first place?!

Anyway, the news stories are coming in fast so I guess the macbook will be released pretty soon. I can't wait to see em :)

macgeek2005
May 5, 2006, 11:10 AM
Finally it's absolutely confirmed. Just pray that they have a $1499 model with a graphics card.

Svennig
May 5, 2006, 11:11 AM
1280x800 resolution

Hmmm. I would hope for something more than this. But as I've said before, the screen is one of the areas where Apple shaves money off the laptops - iBook screens are awful.

Nikonshooter
May 5, 2006, 11:13 AM
Hi,
This is actually my first post but i have been tracking this site for many months now.

If they bring out something that will run Aperture ( even at a very slow pace ) i would buy it instantly.
A MBP is just too big for my very mobile photography work.
I think that the switch to Intel is a very smart move because my Imac CD 20 inch ( maxed out ) runs Aperture very fast as to some people with DP G5's.

jcoffman78
May 5, 2006, 11:13 AM
Finally it's absolutely confirmed. Just pray that they have a $1499 model with a graphics card.

I don't think it absolutely confirmed till Apple says so....Unless I am mistaken They haven't officially or purposely done that!!

Tastannin
May 5, 2006, 11:14 AM
They do these things intentionally just to watch us go nuts. They did the same thing with the original G5s too.

"Now what bone can we toss to our obsessed fans to stir them up into a frenzy again?" - Commander, Apple Agitprop Team Bravo Blue-Six at Jobs-Orwell Center for World Domination

"Commander, it's working, I see at least twelve forum members foaming at the mouth!" - Forward Recon Agent Bravo Blue-Six Seven reporting from recon spot on http://forums.macrumors.com, IP# ***.***.***.*** (IP sanitized for security purposes)

MovieCutter
May 5, 2006, 11:15 AM
Well it was on there way before it was on here!

You guys don't work for MacRumors do you by any chance? :confused:

Do you work for LoopRumors? Just go down the list at their site. Almost all of their "stories" are rehashed. The one or two that are remotely exclusive are shotgun stories..."Apple is working on a wifi device"...no $#!&.

Chundles
May 5, 2006, 11:16 AM
Hmmm. I would hope for something more than this. But as I've said before, the screen is one of the areas where Apple shaves money off the laptops - iBook screens are awful.

Well, if they go higher than this they're into MacBook Pro territory. I think it's the perfect spot, more horizontal and vertical space than the iBook and if they make it nice and bright I think it would be a great screen.

Willis
May 5, 2006, 11:21 AM
Finally it's absolutely confirmed.

it isnt confirmed... yet. its about 75% there. just the specs to come out and the so called 'redesigned' laptop. really, i cant see it changing too much. afterall, a laptop is a laptop. its like a car. its the same format. BUT i do look forward to seeing the iBook freshened up.

Man i cant wait for my WHITE (yes, white) Macbook. Hopefully a midrange model with GPU. even 64-128mb will be fine =D

On that note, i read that even the iMac and MBP have the intergrated graphics on their boards... if this is true, could someone show proof? if so, then apple wouldnt find it hard to offer both intergrated graphics AND dedigated.

Yvan256
May 5, 2006, 11:24 AM
On that note, i read that even the iMac and MBP have the intergrated graphics on their boards... if this is true, could someone show proof? if so, then apple wouldnt find it hard to offer both intergrated graphics AND dedigated.

"Integrated graphics" usually means "integrated into some other chip" instead of "dedicated chip". In all Macs except PowerMacs, the GPU (dedicated or not) is soldered directly on the motherboard.

The only Mac to have integrated graphics (so far) is the new Intel Mac mini.

Let's hope for at least an ATI Radeon 9550/64MB for the MacBook. An ATI X300/64MB would be nice, though.

Peace
May 5, 2006, 11:26 AM
it isnt confirmed... yet. its about 75% there. just the specs to come out and the so called 'redesigned' laptop. really, i cant see it changing too much. afterall, a laptop is a laptop. its like a car. its the same format. BUT i do look forward to seeing the iBook freshened up.

Man i cant wait for my WHITE (yes, white) Macbook. Hopefully a midrange model with GPU. even 64-128mb will be fine =D

The new Intel iMacs and MacBook Pros all have ATI X1600 video chips with dedicated memory.NOT the Intel integrated ones that share memory.

Mitch1984
May 5, 2006, 11:27 AM
i just hope they change the design somehow...

Yeah I mean the new MacBook has been described as as MacBook Pro clad in white. But the MacBook Pro's design is nearly the same design as the old PowerBook.

Duff-Man
May 5, 2006, 11:29 AM

Duff-Man says...will you please get a bit of a grip. It is certainly *not* absolutely confirmed. It will be when you see them on Apple's website advertised for sale.

Having said that, it *does* look very likely that they will be released next week given all the reports now - good news for a friend of mine as she is looking to buy very very soon....oh yeah!

technicolor
May 5, 2006, 11:29 AM
I think this rumor may be true. I am going to School of the Art Institute of Chicago next semester, and they are a major Apple educational partner, they are even on Apple's site because they force all their entering students into getting the 12 inch Powerbooks. So I got my letter about the laptop requirement and sending in my deposit to reserve my notebook, so I called and asked the tech guy would we be getting Macbook Pros(I would have 2, but damn who can pass it up at the price of $1999(thats all the students have to pay) or what because Powerbooks are now obsolete, he said no that we would be getting the 12 inch powerbook replacements, and that they will be placing their order on the first week of June.

kenaustus
May 5, 2006, 11:30 AM
I'm not too worried about a special event to announce the MacBook. They can send an announcement out today (or even Monday) and the room would be quickly filled.

It's not necessary, though, as the media loves Apple right now and even if there is no formal announcement then there will still be huge coverage. With or without a formal announcement there will be an order backlog with a week or so - especially with the education market now buying.

The 9th? Possible or probable. Personally I want to see the MacBook to see what J Ive & Co have done on the design side. It's been a while since we've seen anything new from his office and I enjoy his work as much as anything else Apple does.

bilbo--baggins
May 5, 2006, 11:31 AM
Hmm, these MacBook rumours are like 'the boy that cried wolf'. I've heard it too many times before.

However, we're getting to the stage where it's going to be released very soon, it's even without the false alerts over the last several months, it's no big news. :eek:

peharri
May 5, 2006, 11:32 AM
The new Intel iMacs and MacBook Pros all have ATI X1600 video chips with dedicated memory.NOT the Intel integrated ones that share memory.

To clarify this, in case the GP was asking a slightly different question, my understanding is that the MBP and iMac do, indeed, have Intel Integrated Graphics on the motherboard, but it isn't enabled. IIG is a feature of chip set Apple is using. The machines use ATI graphics instead, making the IIG redundant. I don't even know if there's a way to turn it on.

To remove IIG completely, they'd have to use a different chip set, or start burning the chips with lasers or something.

lekun
May 5, 2006, 11:33 AM
Not sure when, but within the last few days Apple has once again updated their Powerbook G4 site. The site now has been stripped of any extra pages – all the 12 inch Powerbook information, including tech specs is on one page.

Crazy interpretations of what this means for the release of the MacBook commence.

modernpixel
May 5, 2006, 11:35 AM
Proof Positive!!!

http://home.nyc.rr.com/modernpixel/mac/machardware.gif

I can't believe they let this slip!!! Someone's getting fired!!! :p

longofest
May 5, 2006, 11:39 AM
What makes you assume the anonymous source sent ONLY to LoopRumors? I'm sure MacRumors received it independently--they are good about giving credit/links where due. Also, I saw this on MacRumors last night--on Page Two, now moved to Page One because MR now apparently has multiple additional sources lending credence.

Thanks nagromme for taking care of that. We posted this story to page2 last night BEFORE looprumors posted anything, so in fact, looprumors if anything is copying US (most likely they just got the same tips we got).

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 5, 2006, 11:40 AM
Apple Insider has a new story up too...

...they don't specify the May 9th date, however.

Oh, but they do say all MacBook's will sport a Core Duo processor...

Iroganai
May 5, 2006, 11:42 AM
Proof Positive!!!

http://home.nyc.rr.com/modernpixel/mac/machardware.gif

I can't believe they let this slip!!! Someone's getting fired!!! :p

Could you please turn on the anti-aliasing :cool:

mikea
May 5, 2006, 11:45 AM
You have a very well prepared synopsis there mikea. What you have missed throughout is the tone and delivery of the 'rumor' orientated threads about product releases and unconfirmed stories.

I don't know about other rumor sites, but macrumors appear to have a very clear policy of placing a question mark (?) at the end of the rumor focussed stories.

Also, they merely provide a commentary on various pieces of information, and it's very rare that they will ever make explicit statements. In this case all they did was tell you something they heard.. they didn't say the macbook is going to be released.

As a result, how can they be criticised for failing to correctly predict product releases, when they made no such prediction in the first place?!

Anyway, the news stories are coming in fast so I guess the macbook will be released pretty soon. I can't wait to see em :)

YA,
You're right.
I have just been getting so rev'd up wanting this new laptop..that I have been addicted to all the rumor sites. All the predictions have just started to drive me nuts. Plus I actually need a laptop by the last week of May...and I realy want to buy a Mac....So I am hoping this rumor might be true.
?????????? Who Knows???

RollTide
May 5, 2006, 11:46 AM
Just curious about the actual screen size. I know that the speculation is that it will be 13.3 inches, but what part of that will actually be the screen and not the plastic cover?? I have a 17 inch hp laptop and it measures out at just over 17.2 inches, and the actual screen is 15.4 inches Yes it is widescreen and and yes I did measure from corners. just wondering what you guys think.

P.S. Yes I am ready to get rid of it.

mtrctyjoe
May 5, 2006, 11:47 AM
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=64&l3=0&model=1085&modelmenu=1

macgeek2005
May 5, 2006, 11:48 AM

Sorry but I don't think you know too much about screen resolutions. A 13.3 inch widescreen (or any widescreen) is either 16:10 or 16:9 ratio.

16:10 would be 1280x800, and 16:9 would be 1280x720. If we're unlucky it'll be the latter.

macgeek2005
May 5, 2006, 11:49 AM

No. Apple wouldn't make a computer that hideous.

Kingsly
May 5, 2006, 11:50 AM
Holy *expletive*

*buys more stock, goes into coma*

mtrctyjoe
May 5, 2006, 11:51 AM
No. Apple wouldn't make a computer that hideous.

I just went to there site and tried to find something close.... it is FUGLY!

Kingsly
May 5, 2006, 11:51 AM

That Asus W5F should be named the Asus WTF. Seriously, who designs these things? Who buys them!!!