Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
Would there be any good tutortials on...

-making universal binaries
-using core data
-using bindings
-using OpenGL

Thanks in advance.

HungrySeacow

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
West Palm Beach
Well, you will be in for a whole lot of reading, but the BEST place for that information, is the documentation.. There are PDFs in there on all of those topics, usually about 150 pages each. Cocoadevcentral.com is also a great resource.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Here are a few to get you started...

Cocoa Dev Central (Bindings plus CoreData tutorials)
Cocoa Bindings Examples and Hints
Cocoa Lab Bindings Tutorial
Feedface Bindings Tutorials

Also you can get lots of information from the Apple developer pages (and from the Documentation window within Xcode), including Apple's bindings tutorials. And honestly, just do some Google searches, you will come up with a lot easily. OpenGL is cross platform, there is a ton of info on the web for it, though I would really suggest buying a book if you really intend to use it.

As far as Universal Binaries goes, the basics are pretty easy, you just open your project settings and check both i386 and PPC boxes for the Architecture setting, it will make a Universal Binary. The only issue I had was that I also had to set "Cross Develop Using Target SDK" to "MacOS 10.4 (Universal)" before it would work. Until I did that, it generated a bunch of errors. There might be a lot of finer points if you're porting stuff that depends on Altivec extensions, or if you need backwards compatibility or somthing, but otherwise just setting it up to recompile as Universal is trivial.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Yes, I also recommend a book for OpenGL, specifically the official "red book". It goes through and explains all(most) OpenGL features using examples. The "blue book" is a reference type book. I don't have that.

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
gekko513 said:
Yes, I also recommend a book for OpenGL, specifically the official "red book". It goes through and explains all(most) OpenGL features using examples. The "blue book" is a reference type book. I don't have that.
Ok, I will try those too. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.