PDA

View Full Version : Front Row 1.2.2 Now Available

MacRumors
May 11, 2006, 04:23 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Now in Software Update:Front Row 1.2.2 delivers a variety of fixes for better reliability and compatibility when playing music, photos, and videos on your Macintosh.

Bugs fixed in 1.2.2 include:
- Addresses bugs that prevented song shuffling within playlists
- Front row no longer says the server was not found when its waiting for a large movie trailer or long shared video to load
- Corrects bugs that prevented authorized Audible Audiobooks from playing
- Fixes a variety of DVD compatibility issues
- Purchased movies located in the Movies folder are now correctly recognized
- Includes a variety of fixes for VoiceOver accessibility
- Fixes a bug that prevented Front Row from reconnecting to shared video libraries after wake from sleep

A direct download (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/frontrow122.html) of the update is also available.

EricNau
May 11, 2006, 04:25 PM
Now where's the update that lets you record & pause live TV?

Macnoviz
May 11, 2006, 04:26 PM
Does Front Row have visualisations for music?

ATG
May 11, 2006, 04:26 PM
Now all I need is a Mac with front row. Donations anyone? ;)

cazlar
May 11, 2006, 04:31 PM
"Purchased movies" - do they mean video content in general or is this a sign?

Macnoviz
May 11, 2006, 04:31 PM

I'll buy you a Mac Mini, if you buy me a Macbook in a (few) week(s)

EDIT:

Probably just clips and TV shows, but the choice of words probably hints at something in the near future (this year)

Dokter_Mac
May 11, 2006, 04:33 PM
This update is not in Software-update and the link does not work ???

EricNau
May 11, 2006, 04:35 PM
This update is not in Software-update and the link does not work ???
The link works fine and the update will only work with computers originally installed with FrontRow.

~Shard~
May 11, 2006, 04:37 PM

I believe we'll see that in Front Row 1.2.2.1 :p :D

Nice to see Apple mkaing imporovements to FR, but yeah, the update that will be of most interest to me is the one that complements a Mac media center. :cool:

firestarter
May 11, 2006, 04:41 PM
Is fast forward / rewind speed of mpeg4/h264 content fixed? It was completely unusable before.

dontmatter
May 11, 2006, 04:45 PM
wow, those look like some serious bugs. Glad to hear they're fixed, but rather fundamental to everyday use to have been around this long already.

Does this work the same on PPC mac's with front row as with intel?

weitzner
May 11, 2006, 04:46 PM
glad to see that apple is updating FR, but it kind of sucks that they forced the FR enabler to be stopped... oh well

Mac Fly (film)
May 11, 2006, 04:53 PM
Fixes/Enhancements:

(1) Movie trailers now has a loading system for not so fast broadband (so when you pick a trailer, it says loading with the spining load-star, like when you start your Mac) Nice feature ;-)

(2) In Music > Shuffle songs: there's the shuffle logo! (it sparks)

Problems though, when coming out of certain sections, you appear back at the desktop. A bit annoying, I was hoping they'd have ironed out that bug. It doesn't happen everytime, but it does happen.

nagromme
May 11, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hmmm... haven't there been times when Apple gets a bunch of software updates out the door shortly in advance of new Macs? :o

Does Front Row have visualisations for music?
That would be great! iTunes visualizers are all stored as plug-ins anyway. Should be easy to add a vis on/off toggle during music playback. And a great use of a big TV screen too :)

EricNau
May 11, 2006, 05:02 PM
Hmmm... haven't there been times when Apple gets a bunch of software updates out the door shortly in advance of new Macs? :o
MacBooks next Tuesday! :D

sunfast
May 11, 2006, 05:07 PM

I hope so!:D :D :D

boncellis
May 11, 2006, 05:07 PM
Good to see the server not responding message gone.

I don't have a FR compatible Mac as of yet, but it's sheer good looks are a selling point with the wife...

Queso
May 11, 2006, 05:12 PM
Front Row is definitely faster at loading the component apps. I used to have to wait 10 seconds when selecting Music before, now it's pretty much instant. It's also much smoother at navigating the menus, even the Movie Trailers.

Thataboy
May 11, 2006, 05:13 PM
In the name of all that is holy, is there accellerated fast-forward yet???

I really wish the Apple Remotes had clickwheels and the accompanying accelleration-scrolling. Getting through an h.264 video is currently a horrifying experience.

liketom
May 11, 2006, 05:15 PM

I really wish the Apple Remotes had clickwheels and the accompanying accelleration-scrolling. Getting through an h.264 video is currently a horrifying experience.
no but it is better slightly - they need 2x 4x 8x and chapter tools that's simple to add to MOV's

Macnoviz
May 11, 2006, 05:29 PM
That would be great! iTunes visualizers are all stored as plug-ins anyway. Should be easy to add a vis on/off toggle during music playback. And a great use of a big TV screen too :)

I see it doesn't. Are there any official reasons why? Even Winblows Media Center has one in its ugly-as-hell interface. (though you can't truly compare WMC and Front Row, WMC has TV and more functions, and 8 times as much buttons)
Maybe you don't have to switch, it just kicks in after a certain amount of time, and disappears when you press a button

dan-o-mac
May 11, 2006, 05:53 PM
glad to see that apple is updating FR, but it kind of sucks that they forced the FR enabler to be stopped... oh well

FR enabler is back, link removed.

[url removed]

Mac Fly (film)
May 11, 2006, 05:55 PM
Good to see the server not responding message gone.Absolutely, thank God for that! After all God created the apple.

wyrmintheapple
May 11, 2006, 05:57 PM

Yup. 10.2.7/10.2.8 for the G5 in particular to bring it in sync. Then 10.4.4 was it came out as an update to sync up the intel and PPC macs after the intel release.

Perhaps frontrow got improved during the MacBook Dev, and this is just rolling out the fixes and stuff to all.

Oblivious
May 11, 2006, 06:04 PM
Great, installation on my mini was fast and easy.:) :D

Nice to see the movie trailer service working again.

AidenShaw
May 11, 2006, 06:18 PM
It's only available if you're running Windows XP on your Mac ;)

musicus
May 11, 2006, 06:21 PM
Does this work the same on PPC mac's with front row as with intel?
Yes - it worked fine on my iMac G5, fixing Movie Trailers at last! :)

gimp999
May 11, 2006, 06:35 PM

New to this version, I've noticed you can click the forward button on the remote and it will jump 30 secs, keep hitting the forward button and you can zip through your movie files pretty fast now, at least it's better than before

Orchardville
May 11, 2006, 06:56 PM
I have a MacBook Pro and I downloaded all of the updates including the Quiktime Pro update and now my MacBook Pro will not start up? Anybody out there having the same problems? I'm desperate to get it working again.

Transic
May 11, 2006, 06:56 PM

Xax
May 11, 2006, 07:13 PM
Orchardville, same here, installed all three updates and computer stuck. Girlfriends computer stuck as well. stuck at starting osx screen, macbook 2.0 ghz

Mac Fly (film)
May 11, 2006, 07:18 PM
New to this version, I've noticed you can click the forward button on the remote and it will jump 30 secs, keep hitting the forward button and you can zip through your movie files pretty fast now, at least it's better than beforeI thought that felt new! Handy, but not so for a full movie!

Vaphoron
May 11, 2006, 07:20 PM
It's also much smoother at navigating the menus, even the Movie Trailers.

I'm actually having problems navigating now and I didn't before. My left/back button barely works now. Anyone else having this problem?

Mac Fly (film)
May 11, 2006, 07:22 PM
Did they add Video_TS support yet?
Short answer no! Just tested right now when you mentioned it. And I know the reason too!! It would take away the reason have to have the iTunes Movie Store ;)

yac_moda
May 11, 2006, 07:22 PM

Uuuuu !!! Mac XP envy :eek:

Orchardville
May 11, 2006, 07:26 PM
I just called Apple's Tech line about the update causing crashes, and they said it has been causing freezes and crashes left and right, and the only way to fix it is to bring it to an authorized Apple Warranty Repair location (ie The Apple Store, or Comp USA). I suggest not downloading the update until the problems are fixed!

Xax
May 11, 2006, 07:28 PM
found a "cure"

currently testing it myself...

"
i got a solution

boot into safe mode by holding down the shift key

go to system system preferences/ accounts/ login items

clear all items

open finder from dock / machintoshHD/ library/ startupitems
move all items to trash and empty

then restart

this worked for me but the agent told me not to reinstall login items and startup items "

found this on apple support boards

Orchardville
May 11, 2006, 07:28 PM
Orchardville, same here, installed all three updates and computer stuck. Girlfriends computer stuck as well. stuck at starting osx screen, macbook 2.0 ghz Xax, the Apple repair guy said it's been most common in MacBook Pro's, I'd bring it to a authorized repair place ASAP

Xax
May 11, 2006, 07:33 PM
well i just did those steps and its fixed again...

or do you think that they would change the issues with the whine and the thermal paste if i brought it in? then i would reassure that it crashes and stucks and then get it to them ;)

Orchardville
May 11, 2006, 07:42 PM
well i just did those steps and its fixed again...

or do you think that they would change the issues with the whine and the thermal paste if i brought it in? then i would reassure that it crashes and stucks and then get it to them ;)

That would be nice if they would do that, but the guy told me it shouldn't require them to open it up. Quick question when you opened up the computer in safe mode by holding shift, did it open alot slower because I've been holding it for about 2 minutes and no sign of life, besides the spinning circle on the apple screen, if I don't press shift it automatically goes to the loading bar where it freezes. Any thoughts?

Xax
May 11, 2006, 07:47 PM
well i held the shift button until the apple came up, then it just took about 5 minutes to load, after that i entered safe mode.

Orchardville
May 11, 2006, 07:50 PM
well i held the shift button until the apple came up, then it just took about 5 minutes to load, after that i entered safe mode.

That method worked wonders, it saved me a trip to CompUSA, Thanks for all the help.

BornAgainMac
May 11, 2006, 07:55 PM
The Movie Trailer feature has not worked ever for me. I hope this fixes it.

Mechcozmo
May 11, 2006, 08:04 PM

I made a personal hack to make Front Row work on my Mac. I did the same thing this time around as well, but with a twist. Apple's gotten smarter it would seem. :D After trashing the various installation checks, it was still complaining about my PowerBook being the wrong model. So I used Pacifist to install it, and like magic, it worked! Required a restart, which you have to remember to do manually. Now running Software Update... I killed by 8 day uptime. Oh, well.:rolleyes:

lekun
May 11, 2006, 08:05 PM
Isn't there some way to check app files for what computers they support (e.g. Macbook Pro 1,1)? Has anyone done this to see if these updates provide support for unrealesed computers?

Mechcozmo
May 11, 2006, 08:14 PM
Isn't there some way to check app files for what computers they support (e.g. Macbook Pro 1,1)? Has anyone done this to see if these updates provide support for unrealesed computers?

Quite easy. Run the updater, and...

respin4
May 11, 2006, 08:58 PM
I advice against installing the latest upgrade until we can pinpoint what the problem is. I had the freezing up problem after installing the upgrade and rebooting. I booted in safe mode and deleted the Login Items (but not the StartUpItems directory) and it still freezes when it starts to load the OS.

I am not sure which update (front row/security) is causing this but, is anybody having problems after installing ONLY the frontrow upgrade?

Xax, what exactly did you have in the startupitems folder? I installed MediaCentral a weeks ago (a Front Row kind of application) and it adds an application to "Login Items". I erase it from there but didn't check the startupitems directory. Is it possible this is the source of the problem?

AidenShaw
May 11, 2006, 09:13 PM
Uuuuu !!! Mac XP envy :eek:
A lot of it going around.

Did you see a post a day or two ago about the guy who went into his local Apple store, and all the activity was around the Macs running XP?

Ohh Ess Ecks is doomed :eek: !

lekun
May 11, 2006, 09:31 PM
Quite easy. Run the updater, and...

No that is not what I mean. I am referring to something like this story from Macrumors.com in June of 2004:

As noted in several places on the internet (Thread, Thread), there appears to be a PowerMac model listed in Mac OS X 10.3.4.

The new machine is listed as "PowerMac 8,1" and is found in the Info.plist file in the system's extensions directory.

This model was reportedly not found in Mac OS X 10.3.3.

I'm wondering if there are any clues in these recent updates regarding unreleased Macbooks? Not whether Frontrow will run on certain macs

Xax
May 11, 2006, 09:43 PM
i removed everything from startupitems as well, i did not have something like mediacentral, but i had that stupid little helper you get if you install adobe cs 2.. and something else i cant remember anymore ;)

so just kill everything or put it in another folder till a fix comes out

mi5moav
May 11, 2006, 09:46 PM
Great new feature in the update. If you hold the menu down on the remote and hold down the shift and left arrow key the magnet will now activate on the left side of the imac screen as well, so you can place the remote on the left side. You have to hit menu, shift, right arrow if you want to bring the magnet back to the other side. :D

Platform
May 11, 2006, 10:05 PM
On the way down, just hope it will fix all my problems.....well next update I want more functionality.....:cool:

Movie trailer works, CPU usage is fine after I quit FR....great :)

Lollypop
May 12, 2006, 12:13 AM
Its nice to hear that some people are having luck and are happy, personally the feature I would like if for apple to all front row to run on all macs, not just the new ones. I know there are hacks and things, but I like OS X because its stable, all these hacks and tweaks make the system unstable! <goes off to install UNO> :D

JFreak
May 12, 2006, 12:39 AM
Slightly off-topic, but does the current Mac Mini and Apple DVD Player support DTS passthrough? IOW, can the optical output be connected to a DTS compatible AV amp for multichannel audio? Can all audio produced by Mac Mini be automatically routed to the optical output instead of analog/headphone? Does the Mac Mini have enough horsepower to decode digital SDTV and HDTV streams?

adrianm
May 12, 2006, 12:52 AM
I suspect "in general", given that all video content tends to go into a "Movies" folder on your hard disk.... unless they're Pixar short movies, in which case they're in your iTunes library, or video podcasts, which are similar.

adrianm
May 12, 2006, 12:58 AM
Slightly off-topic, but does the current Mac Mini and Apple DVD Player support DTS passthrough? IOW, can the optical output be connected to a DTS compatible AV amp for multichannel audio? Can all audio produced by Mac Mini be automatically routed to the optical output instead of analog/headphone? Does the Mac Mini have enough horsepower to decode digital SDTV and HDTV streams?

My mini's optical out is routed to my AV amp and last time I checked, it seemed to pass through the Dolby Digital sound from DVD Player through OK. Don't know about DTS though.

Normal sound goes down the optical link too.

Multi-channel audio AAC does not get encoded as 5.1 or whatever, so you just end up with stereo. Shame that.

My mini is a core duo jobbie and it has no obvious problems with 720p playback. I've not bothered with 1080 stuff as my TV isn't that highres.

JFreak
May 12, 2006, 02:07 AM
Don't know about DTS though.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=150891

This seems to say DTS passtrough is supported by Apple DVD Player, but can anyone confirm that it actually works with the Mini hardware?

LordJohnWhorfin
May 12, 2006, 03:15 AM
If you've already installed 1.2.1 with FRE, simply unpack the Archive.gz file that's inside the 1.2.2 updater package. You'll find the new Front Row.app file inside, replace the old one with it (you will need to quit it, which can be done with a simple AppleScript: tell application "Front Row" quit end tell)
You will need to log out and log back in for it to work.

Works great on my dual G5 and my old G4 :)

visual
May 12, 2006, 03:18 AM
Did they add Video_TS support yet?

distantDVD works a treat for that, try..

http://software.visualunderground.co.uk

Multimedia
May 12, 2006, 03:59 AM
No problem running the update with Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) for the legacy Mac installations. Front-Row still running perfectly after updating on my Quad. :D :p

archrenov8
May 12, 2006, 06:18 AM
I just picked up my MBPro 17 last night, did the firewire transfer, and the only issue was that it said Virex did not transfer. Funny thing was that Virex was abloe to do an eUpdate after that, and it seemed fine.

Then, I ran SoftwareUpdate, yesterday's big one, and restarted, and then I was stuck upon fully relaunching. Starting up in Safe mode, and repairing permissions, did not help. I did a search, and found there might be an issue with Adobe Version Cue, but I didn't seem to have that file.

Finally, I thought back about the warning, trashed Virex Folder, and restarted, and all was well. Funny how Virex was fine in it's crippled state until the update.

All of the other Apps seem to have transferred fine so far.

Herfnwolf
May 12, 2006, 07:17 AM
I just ran the new security update on my MBP 17" and tried to update to the Front Row 1.2.2. I get the strange error message during install

"This software update requires a Macintosh with a built-in infrared (IR) receiver running Mac OS X 10.4.5 or later."

Obviously the MBP has system 10.4.6 and has IR. Any ideas?

sam10685
May 12, 2006, 07:42 AM

right here. (http://www.tivo.com/0.0.asp)

AidenShaw
May 12, 2006, 08:25 AM
right here. (http://www.tivo.com/0.0.asp)
That's PowerPC, though.

eme jota ce
May 12, 2006, 09:20 AM
Installed along with Security update on

Mac Mini Duo Core
MacBook Pro
iMac Duo Core

No problems, no glitches, easy install.

tny
May 12, 2006, 09:24 AM

Funny, I can; and I don't have Windows XP on my Mac. Oh yeah, that's right, I have an EyeTV.

weitzner
May 12, 2006, 09:54 AM

yes there is. select show package contents on the installer, then go into the contents folder. open up the frontrowupdate1.2.2.dist with text editor and look for the installation check. here's what it says:

function installationCheck()
{
if ( !isModel("PowerMac12,1") &amp;&amp; !isModel("iMac4,1") &amp;&amp; !isModel("MacBookPro1,1") &amp;&amp; !isModel("Macmini1,1") )
{
my.result.message = system.localizedStringWithFormat('ERROR_MODEL');
my.result.type = 'Fatal';
return false;
}
return true;
}

so.. all we have here iMac core duo, MacBoook Pro, Macmini and the PowerMac12,1 (which is the iMac G5 with iSight). so..nothing new here. sorry.

Multimedia
May 12, 2006, 09:57 AM
I just ran the new security update on my MBP 17" and tried to update to the Front Row 1.2.2. I get the strange error message during install

"This software update requires a Macintosh with a built-in infrared (IR) receiver running Mac OS X 10.4.5 or later."

Obviously the MBP has system 10.4.6 and has IR. Any ideas?Try running the updater with Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/). Worked for me on a Non IR Quad. Be patient and wait 15 seconds to hit the "not now" button to avoid needing to buy it. :)

solidgoldmini
May 12, 2006, 10:13 AM
The easiest way to install Front Row on non-IR Macs doesn't require even Pacifist.
Just like the previous post explained how to check which models it supports, you just need to right-click on the FrontRowUpdate1.2.2.pkg and show package contents, then Contents, then open the FrontRowUpdate1.2.2.dist with Textedit. Navigate to where it says what models are supported. (e.g. "PowerMac12,1"
Going to 'About This Mac', then 'More Info' on your computer will show your model. (e.g. My Dual 1.8 G5 is PowerMac7,3)
Just replace one of the models in quotes in the .dist file in Textedit with your model, save, then run the pkg as usual. Simple. Make sure you take the package out of the disk image though before you try to edit the dist file, because sometimes it won't allow you to save the file if it's still on there. Just put it on your desktop before starting.

weitzner
May 12, 2006, 10:41 AM
The easiest way to install Front Row on non-IR Macs doesn't require even Pacifist.
Just like the previous post explained how to check which models it supports, you just need to right-click on the FrontRowUpdate1.2.2.pkg and show package contents, then Contents, then open the FrontRowUpdate1.2.2.dist with Textedit. Navigate to where it says what models are supported. (e.g. "PowerMac12,1"
Going to 'About This Mac', then 'More Info' on your computer will show your model. (e.g. My Dual 1.8 G5 is PowerMac7,3)
Just replace one of the models in quotes in the .dist file in Textedit with your model, save, then run the pkg as usual. Simple. Make sure you take the package out of the disk image though before you try to edit the dist file, because sometimes it won't allow you to save the file if it's still on there. Just put it on your desktop before starting.

or what's even easier is to delete all that stuff so it just says:

function installationCheck()
{

return true;
}

i think that is the easiest way to do this.

BlueMars
May 12, 2006, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure if this is a new feature, or just something I never noticed before (I didn't use Front Row at all, so didn't bother with the remote), but you can use the remote to run iTunes. You do not need to go through Front Row in order to do this.
Thus, you can have the iTunes visualizer going full screen and use the remote to move through your songs. Is this new?

With the update, the 'Movie Trailers' feature in Front Row FINALLY works. 'bout time. I can now better show off Front Row to the PC users in the family. (Still, it would be nice if you could access all movie trailers...not just current ones.)

Multimedia
May 12, 2006, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure if this is a new feature, or just something I never noticed before (I didn't use Front Row at all, so didn't bother with the remote), but you can use the remote to run iTunes. You do not need to go through Front Row in order to do this.
Thus, you can have the iTunes visualizer going full screen and use the remote to move through your songs. Is this new?

With the update, the 'Movie Trailers' feature in Front Row FINALLY works. 'bout time. I can now better show off Front Row to the PC users in the family. (Still, it would be nice if you could access all movie trailers...not just current ones.)You can access all by going to the Apple Movie Trailers Web Page (http://www.apple.com/trailers/) where many more are listed. Worst case you have to google a movie to find its web site and manually download its trailer. ;)

FaasNat
May 12, 2006, 01:56 PM
You may need to propose that you'll blow up your existing one once you get enough donations to buy a new Intel Mac. :D