Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
What is going on? I don't know if it is the influx of new people or it is just us going nuts, or people feeling that the must be heard, but can someone explain this phenomenon to me? --> I've noticed that there seems to be more people who feel a need to make their comments with large size fonts. Do they not realize that they are as bad as idiot drivers that should not be allowed on the road, as bad as spammers touting the free iPod that I can get by subscribing to 50 magazines, as bad as...as something really bad that I can't think of right now? ARGH!

For examples, look here

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
nbs2 said:
I've noticed that there seems to be more people who feel a need to make their comments with large size fonts.

The caps, large fonts and animated avatars can all be exceedingly annoying, but changing bad habits and/or the desire to be noticed is a formidable task.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There are several options to change the way threads view in the user control panel, but disabling font changes isn't one of them...mmm... I guess some people make themselves distinctive by what they have to say, and others, having nothing special to say, make themselves distinctive by being a source of irritation! :eek: ;) :D

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
mkrishnan said:
There are several options to change the way threads view in the user control panel, but disabling font changes isn't one of them...mmm... I guess some people make themselves distinctive by what they have to say, and others, having nothing special to say, make themselves distinctive by being a source of irritation! :eek: ;) :D
Yeah...I already turned off sigs because of a few sigs that decided to either include quotes (which throw me off when scanning a thread) or go with the King Kong font size...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
nbs2 said:
Yeah...I already turned off sigs because of a few sigs that decided to either include quotes (which throw me off when scanning a thread) or go with the King Kong font size...

Yeah, I do feel that ever since we changed the rules to limit the word count of sigs, people have really gone to unusual lengths to make sigs that are huge because they have 5 20 point words or a quote box or whatever.... :rolleyes:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mkrishnan said:
I wanna say, "Act the fool," but the truth is, I rarely do. :(
HAH. Says who? :p j/k Please don't gather the other Horsemen to hurt me.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
devilot said:
HAH. Says who? :p j/k Please don't gather the other Horsemen to hurt me.

Awww, well, if I have, then I get far less satisfaction out of it than I should be...hmm... maybe I need to up the intensity? :eek: ;) :( Hurt you? We *like* you! *licks*

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
devilot said:
Yup. I was reading that thread and that post style definitely gets on my nerves. Eh. Whatcha gonna do?
What I was plannign on doing was engaging in mass bannings. But, then I remembered I'm not a mod. But, then I realized I could come here and vent. And while I don't feel better, hopefully the offending parties will see it and realize that the older kids are making fun of them. I wonder if kids give each other swirlies and wedgies these days:D I'd hate to get arrested for nostalgia

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
nbs2 said:
I wonder if kids give each other swirlies and wedgies these days:D I'd hate to get arrested for nostalgia
InstaBan™? Seems a bit harsh... If it bugs you that much, try reporting a post or two and see if a mod will size it down.

And what the heck is a 'swirlie?!' My uncle gave me a wedgie once. :( Picked me up by my overall straps. :( Ouch.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
devilot said:
InstaBan™? Seems a bit harsh... If it bugs you that much, try reporting a post or two and see if a mod will size it down.

And what the heck is a 'swirlie?!' My uncle gave me a wedgie once. :( Picked me up by my overall straps. :( Ouch.
Yeah, but then they make me bother the mods, and, I try to avoid that. I don't want them thinking I'm crying wolf...

And a swirly, as defined in wikipedia is "The act of a person putting another person's head in a toilet and flushing it." School Prank, Wikipedia, available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_pranks, visited May 12, 2006. I haven't Bluebooked in almost a year. I have tried hard to forget it. But, the cite is close enough. :)

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
nbs2 said:
You can do that? :eek: (runs to preferances to disable sigs)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
freeny said:
You can do that? :eek: (runs to preferances to disable sigs)

*runs to preferences to include disparaging, inflammatory and libellous slur about freeny in sig*

:p :D ;)

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Whitetext is annoying too, but I use it a lot now to annoy the people who annoy me.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
bousozoku said:
How many times does it have to be said? Report them.
Kinda ironic. People talk about their pet peeves here all the time, but I'll bet the Mods biggest pet peeve is people who complain but never report. I'm sure the OP does and was just venting though. ;) I just like complaining too much and feel guilty for reporting stupid people unless it's really bad. I prefer friendly reminders, but that doesn't always help.

I still giggle a little when others give them the smack down though.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
bousozoku said:
How many times does it have to be said? Report them.
You haven't even begun to get close to the correct number of times.

You can write it in the Book of Knowledge, and smack them upside the head with it, until nothing but a bloody stump is left.

And it still won't sink in.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
solvs said:
Kinda ironic. People talk about their pet peeves here all the time, but I'll bet the Mods biggest pet peeve is people who complain but never report. I'm sure the OP does and was just venting though. ;) I just like complaining too much and feel guilty for reporting stupid people unless it's really bad. I prefer friendly reminders, but that doesn't always help.

I still giggle a little when others give them the smack down though.

I used to shock people a little in the past to get their attention and it does work but sometimes, it only causes derision.

It's easy to report them. I've noticed that a lot of things don't get reported now or maybe, I was just handling them automatically. I'm not sure.

Sun Baked said:

You can write it in the Book of Knowledge, and smack them upside the head with it, until nothing but a bloody stump is left.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Sun Baked said:

The only problem with the blanket "Report them" is that there is a point where you should report a problematic post (This form is to be used to report threads or posts that violate Forum Rules and to report problems requiring a moderator, including harassment, spam, personal insults, commercial advertising, pyramid schemes, or other problematic posts, as well as threads posted in the wrong forums and accidental or intentional double-posting.) and there are times when people are just being stupid. I'm not the quickest on the trigger, since I would prefer mods to knwo that when I report a post, it probably is truely a bad post.

I think the problem is that you don't want to overwork the mods with spam reports, so you deal with a lot of the smaller annoying but non-offensive things while leaving reporting the major problems. IF I PUT UP A POST LIKE THIS, IT IS ANNOYING, BUT IT DOESN'T REALLY VIOLATE ANY FORUM RULES. BUT, IF I TRY TO BYPASS THE PROFANITY FILTER, THEN I AM BREAKING A FORUM RULE AND SHOULD BE REPORTED. I MEAN THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING - TO THE POINT THAT I AM BOTHERED AS I TYPE IT. BUT I DON'T THINK IT IS WORTH THE MODS' TIME TO DEAL WITH IT. IMAGINE IT IF WAS LARGE FONT...SAME DEAL

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
nbs2 said:
The only problem with the blanket "Report them" is that there is a point where you should report a problematic post (This form is to be used to report threads or posts that violate Forum Rules and to report problems requiring a moderator, including harassment, spam, personal insults, commercial advertising, pyramid schemes, or other problematic posts, as well as threads posted in the wrong forums and accidental or intentional double-posting.) and there are times when people are just being stupid. I'm not the quickest on the trigger, since I would prefer mods to knwo that when I report a post, it probably is truely a bad post.

I think the problem is that you don't want to overwork the mods with spam reports, so you deal with a lot of the smaller annoying but non-offensive things while leaving reporting the major problems. IF I PUT UP A POST LIKE THIS, IT IS ANNOYING, BUT IT DOESN'T REALLY VIOLATE ANY FORUM RULES. BUT, IF I TRY TO BYPASS THE PROFANITY FILTER, THEN I AM BREAKING A FORUM RULE AND SHOULD BE REPORTED. I MEAN THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING - TO THE POINT THAT I AM BOTHERED AS I TYPE IT. BUT I DON'T THINK IT IS WORTH THE MODS' TIME TO DEAL WITH IT. IMAGINE IT IF WAS LARGE FONT...SAME DEAL

Due to the sheer volume, the moderators may never see such gray area posts, if they're not reported. The same people tend to make a habit of such posts for whatever reason. I would find the pattern because of something else entirely and once found, I could contact the user and remind them to change.

Large font posts are usually reported and changed, even if you don't report them. It's better to have too many reports than none. You don't handle problems that you don't see, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.