Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider is reporting that Apple will be holding a "special briefing" in Manhattan, NY for analysts and members of the media.

The event is reportedly scheduled for Thursday, May 18th at 10am Eastern.

In the invites to the event, Apple welcomed analysts and members of the media to preview the new flagship retail location ahead of its Friday evening grand opening, but did not hint at any product introductions.

May 19th is the launch day for the new 5th Avenue flagship Apple store. There has been some speculation that this event will mark the release of the new MacBook and iPod, but no confirmation on that is yet available.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Oh, and dare I say it... MacBooks next Thursday!!!!!1!!!11!!!!!!eleven!!*

*) Whatever that means... I still don't know.

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
So now we have Tuesday, Thursday and Friday next week to look for the new MacBooks. I will be seriously disappointed if next week goes by without anything new.

mikea

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
Waiting for macbook land
Bengt77 said:

Here we go again

Doesn't, at this point, have any mention of new product. This event is about the new store. I doubt they will release the MacBook at the store opening.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
MacBook and maybe the new Ipod.

The media center I think will be introduce at MWSF.

Great place to introduce new products. Steve is very smart, what a great way to introduce new stuff in such a cool store.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Bengt77 said:

Yup, there it is.

Steve + analysts/media + flagship store = MacBook

edit: I can't imagine a better way to get a flood of people to a new store. Steve will be there. The media will be there. Steve will wow the crowd with new iPod nanos, new slick black MacBooks, etc. EVERYONE in NYC will wanna come and see it for themselves the next day when the store opens.

mikea

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
Waiting for macbook land
gugy said:
MacBook and maybe the new Ipod.

The media center I think will be introduce at MWSF.

Great place to introduce new products. Steve is very smart, what a great way to introduce new stuff in such a cool store.

Do you realy think so?
I hope you are right, becasue like alot of people here, I want this thing. But, he is not even a for sure to be there.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Maybe MacBooks and iPod, maybe not, seems plausible however.
I mean, an Apple Event without Jobs, I don't think so. So why not let Jobs show cool new products in a cool new store. I mean, they would probably want some kind of event for the new MacBooks and new iPods, and it's unlikely to happen again very soon. But then again, maybe not. :rolleyes:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
mikea said:
Doesn't, at this point, have any mention of new product. This event is about the new store. I doubt they will release the MacBook at the store opening.

Why not? You think instead they'd have a big press event just for a store opening, only to have a second event a couple weeks later? Putting them together makes perfect sense. I don't know about ipods, would they be a capacity bump or a new design?

Don't forget, this is Appleinsider reporting this, and they've been mostly right recently. If it were Think Secret, I'd be much more skeptical.

But my favorite recent rumor is macosrumors, they're still insisting the name will stay iBook. Idiots.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
iJaz said:
Maybe MacBooks and iPod, maybe not, seems plausible however.
I mean, an Apple Event without Jobs, I don't think so. So why not let Jobs show cool new products in a cool new store. I mean, they would probably want some kind of event for the new MacBooks and new iPods, and it's unlikely to happen again very soon. But then again, maybe not. :rolleyes:

Plus - they never just announce ONE product at an event; there's always more than one product (at least recently).

Late last year:
Nano + SLVR + iTunes 5

Video iPod + iMac + iTunes 6

This year:

iMac + MacBook Pro + iLife 06 + iWork 06

iPod Hi-Fi + Mac Mini + Leather Cases (bleh)

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
Steve will be there, he is just being coy.

And there will be buckets-full of MacBooks lining the walls ready for people to find them a new home (at a price of cource!)

Anyone going?

mikea

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
Waiting for macbook land
?

OK, why does this article/post have a question mark on it....It appears to be a fact that thursday there is a press event. correct. It's not a rumor right? Maybe I am wrong.
The story at AI has had a few words added in the last few minutes.....this is getting crazy.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I don´t think they will introduce the books in the store opening. It will be seperate, but that of course is only speculation

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
mikea said:
OK, why does this article/post have a question mark on it....It appears to be a fact that thursday there is a press event. correct. It's not a rumor right? Maybe I am wrong.
The story at AI has had a few words added in the last few minutes.....this is getting crazy.

It's a rumor until there's confirmation of it. They say they've heard from reliable sources. I assume there will be some sort of official info including a copy of the invite soon.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
am I the only one hoping for a new pod?

I've got my tax return burning a whole in my pocket, and I want something fun to spend it on.....:p

Macbooks would and will be sweet, but I'm not in the market for a new cpu, but a new toy.....I'm always up for that....:D

revjay

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2004
Beautiful Vancouver Island
[in best Jerry Maguire voice]

milo said:
It's a rumor until there's confirmation of it. They say they've heard from reliable sources. I assume there will be some sort of official info including a copy of the invite soon.

Show me the invitation!!!
I want to see it before I'll be sucked into this one!

mhar4

macrumors member
May 7, 2003
London
... readers were left disappointed when the release was reportedly delayed.

Yes, we were all very disappointed!

avensis087

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
i want to see this invitation. but, i'm sure if there's an event, there should be some new product to make it worthwhile. i DO think there willl be new MacBooks...i DON'T think there will be new iPods. hopefully i'm wrong about the iPods, but i don't think i am. Here's to new MacBooks (black and white ones) without integrated graphics! PLEEEEEEASE!! :rolleyes:

mr

war

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2005
Chicago
could be the macbook

Don't forget that Apple got alot of crap from people for their last event. The press was sort of annoyed that Jobs brought them all to the Apple campus just to release the intel mini and the iPod speakers. Maybe they are trying to keep the release of the new macbook/ibook a bit more low key so expectations aren't as high as they were for their last event. Many people were saying "That's all?" after the last event. Besides one way to get customers into stores is by releasing new products. So, a new ibook/macbook book could easily be tied to a new store opening.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
mhar4 said:
... readers were left disappointed when the release was reportedly delayed.

Delayed, my ass. It wasn't delayed, TS just botched their prediction and made up the whole delay excuse to try and weasel out of looking like fools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.