PDA

View Full Version : LoopRumors - New iPod Soon

yzedf
Feb 14, 2003, 03:28 PM
LoopRumors (http://www.looprumors.com/)

February 14, 2003

We've been squeezing our sources for any information on new iPods. At this point, we know for certain that refreshed iPods will arrive 'very soon.' Fear not for those of you who purchased the Burton Amp jacket, made for today's iPod, the form factor will remain the same while the cost will decrease by as much as $100USD! After probing our sources for a timeline on their arrival, we learned that new iPods could arrive as early as next week. If accurate, this would continue Apple's weekly product introduction.

Le Big Mac
Feb 14, 2003, 03:54 PM
While welcome, this seems like a "duh" rumor. The only value a rumor could have on this is a) prices b) capacities. I eagerly await next Tuesday.

vanillamike
Feb 14, 2003, 04:24 PM
I don't think its a duh rumour, many people have been looking for a solid rumour like this one. In another thread someone was asking if the iPod revision was just pure speculation (based on toshiba web site, and the fact that the iPod is ripe for a revision). If looprumours has reliable sources then this is good news!!!!

Mike

pyrotoaster
Feb 14, 2003, 04:30 PM
New iPods have been generally anticipated since the 5 GB model quit shipping. Macwhispers, like a lot of people, even thought that the release was going to be this week (although Monday's Xserve release sort of ruled out anything else this week).
The $100 price drops have already been reported, and LoopRumors failed to make any mention to the possibly doomed future of the 5 GB iPod, or the possibility of a new 40 GB model.
So, note to LoopRumors: I don't mind when a website posts something I've already heard, as long as they include an opinion or a prediction. "Very Soon" isn't a prediction, "Next Tuesday" (Hint! Hint!), is a prediction.

yzedf
Feb 15, 2003, 12:14 AM
I think this is a duh as well.

40gig does not seem as obvious to me right now. Remember, there is also a 30gig drive.

I see 10/20/30 for close to current pricing of 5/10/20.

In my opinion of course ;)

Bear
Feb 15, 2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
I think this is a duh as well.

40gig does not seem as obvious to me right now. Remember, there is also a 30gig drive.

I see 10/20/30 for close to current pricing of 5/10/20.

In my opinion of course ;)
I think Apple having a 40GB iPod will generate more sales. Not so much from people with a lot of music, but rather from those who want to back up critical files to thge iPod or use it to transport data between machines as well as being an MP3 player.

Remember not only is the iPod the worlds smallest hardrive based MP3 player, it looks like it's the smallest firewire based hardrive as well.

As for when it will be updated... there is also the 15" Powerbook updates to look forward to. Well, there is also the probable iBook updates, however I think the iBook will be done last. So next could be the iPods or the 15" PB.

iwantanewmac
Feb 15, 2003, 07:56 AM
March last year I bought an ipod and after 8 months the battery crapped out.
So I called Apple and I got a replacement. No questions asked. But that new 1 only lasted for 3 months when the battery started to fail.
Now I'm waiting for the box to ship it back to apple again. (for a 3rd ipod).
I called them 3 times allready. They say they're "working" on it.
The first time that my ipod failed, the box in wich you ship the ipod back to apple arrived in 1!!!!! day!.
Looks like they can't give me a new ipod now?
I might get upgraded?
So...maybe this rumor is right.
I hope so :)
I want the 10GB anyway.
Hell I'll even pay the difference.

Hepper
Feb 15, 2003, 08:05 AM
So I just got a 5GB ipod deleivered to me from apple. If apple introduces price drops or something, do they have an exchange policy?

Adam

Falleron
Feb 15, 2003, 08:31 AM
I really hope they update the iPod's soon. I want to get one.

RBMaraman
Feb 15, 2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Hepper
So I just got a 5GB ipod deleivered to me from apple. If apple introduces price drops or something, do they have an exchange policy?

Not really. It depends on how long you've had it before the new models come out. Your best bet is to sell your current model on eBay for a loss, and but a new one with that money.

FelixDerKater
Feb 15, 2003, 10:51 AM
If they made a 5GB iPod and sold it for $199, they could sell it in department stores (think WalMart) and electronics stores. That would take off like wildfire.

MacBandit
Feb 15, 2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
If they made a 5GB iPod and sold it for $199, they could sell it in department stores (think WalMart) and electronics stores. That would take off like wildfire.

iPods are already sold at Target, GoodGuys, and Dell stores.

FelixDerKater
Feb 15, 2003, 11:04 AM
Yes, I know about Target and Dell selling iPods, but that isn't enough. I have never heard of GoodGuys. Is that on the west coast?

Anyway, I still think WalMart and Circuit City would be good places to sell through.

MacBandit
Feb 15, 2003, 11:10 AM
Yes, I know about Target and Dell selling iPods, but that isn't enough. I have never heard of GoodGuys. Is that on the west coast?

Anyway, I still think WalMart and Circuit City would be good places to sell through.

GoodGuys is kind of like Circuit City. I don't personally like WalMart. In my oppinion they are the Microsoft of the department store industry.

I don't think it's so much a matter of Apple not selling to places like Circuit City it's more of a matter that Circuit City hasn't chosen to sell them.

Shrek
Feb 15, 2003, 12:23 PM
Looprumors (http://www.looprumors.com/) is predicting that new iPods introduced next week might sell for on average for $100 less.

Wouldn't it be great if Apple continued to sell the 5GB iPod, but for only $99 US?! Wouldn't it also be great if you could get a 10 gig iPod for just $50 more and a 20 gig iPod for just $100 more than the 5 gig?! That would be a $300 (60%) price drop on the 20 gig iPod. What a great deal that would be, eh? I can see a 30 gig at $299 and a 40 gig at $399.

Imagine if all these iPods were both Mac and Windows compatible?

What do ya'll think? I think this would be very :cool:. :D

I mean, it probably won't happen, but it's just a dream. ;)

EDIT: Who here would like to have an AM/FM radio tuner on your first/next iPod?

sparks9
Feb 15, 2003, 12:41 PM
299-100 = 199 (not 99). Sorry...

Wes
Feb 15, 2003, 01:09 PM
Well, I can't see 1000 songs for $99. In the unlikely case that they do, "Say Hello the the 200 meg iPod." 2 inches thick with an old performa hard drive thrown in there.

Shrek
Feb 15, 2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by sparks9
299-100 = 199 (not 99). Sorry...

I'm speaking more or less about the high-end iPods like the new 30 and 40GB models.

FelixDerKater
Feb 15, 2003, 01:26 PM
Maybe they could sell just an iPod and then you buy the amount of storage space you want by purchasing a removable HD.

Sell the iPod for $99 and then a 5GB drive for $99, 10GB for 150, 20 GB for 200 and so on.

That probably would never happen, but who knows.

Shrek
Feb 15, 2003, 01:30 PM
Maybe they could sell just an iPod and then you buy the amount of storage space you want by purchasing a removable HD.

Sell the iPod for $99 and then a 5GB drive for $99, 10GB for 150, 20 GB for 200 and so on.

Well, hey! That would at least make the iPod expandable. One word: Innovation

majorge
Feb 15, 2003, 03:37 PM
I went to my local Apple store this week to buy a new set of earbuds and remote and none of the iPod accessories were out. I had to have an employee get one from the back. He was gone for several minutes (not sure if he stopped to do something else on the way or had to dig it out from storage).

The area that has been used for the iPod display for the past several months now has new iMacs. In fact, there were only two iPods on display in the whole store. A few months ago there were five or six (on the digital camera display, front window, next to several of the iMacs, etc.).

Xerov
Feb 15, 2003, 03:49 PM
2 thing I want for the new iPods.

1) Consumer repacable battery. (I could have 2 batteries and have 20hrs of music playability ;) )
2) Better case that comes with it...The one that came with me 20gig Broke in a week :(

KLFloyd
Feb 15, 2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Hepper

Adam

Yes, apple does have a price gurantee policy I found it under the Apple Sales and Refunds (http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html) policy on their webpage. Here's what is says for all you intersted:

PRICES
The Apple Store endeavors to offer you competitive prices on current Apple products and selected refurbished and clearance products. Your total order price will include the price of the product (on the day of shipping) plus any applicable sales tax and shipping charges._ Apple reserves the right to change prices for products displayed at the Apple Store at any time.

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price._ To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment.

smegdude
Feb 15, 2003, 05:31 PM

you can pretty much do that already with a small amount of research. You just have to unclip the back of the ipod and then the hard disk is right there to access. I'm pretty sure you could upgrade it by buying a new toshiba drive right now. the question is whether the OS and firmware is on the hard disk and if it needs to be installed before the ipod will work.

i'm waiting on monday and tuesday come on apple the misery has to stop here!!

smashedapart
Feb 15, 2003, 06:49 PM
For those of you wanting a 5 gig iPod, I hate to rain on your parade, but, Toshiba has canned that drive. With the introduction of the 30 and 40 gig drives, the 5 gig drive was dropped from the line. That's why we haven't seen any restocking of the 5 gig, and that's why there won't be a 5 gig in the next revision. Sorry...

-- smashedapart

mangoman
Feb 15, 2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by smegdude

i'm waiting on monday and tuesday come on apple the misery has to stop here!!

I don't know about the misery thang, but I'm waitin' with ya, smeg!

KLFloyd
Feb 15, 2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by smashedapart
For those of you wanting a 5 gig iPod, I hate to rain on your parade, but, Toshiba has canned that drive. With the introduction of the 30 and 40 gig drives, the 5 gig drive was dropped from the line. That's why we haven't seen any restocking of the 5 gig, and that's why there won't be a 5 gig in the next revision. Sorry...

-- smashedapart

Well, for those of you who still want a 5GB, the Apple Online Store does have some Refurbished 5GB in stock for $199. They're the older models but still come with the full one year warranty. Go to the Apple store and click on the "special deals" section and they're towards the bottom of the page.

zach
Feb 15, 2003, 07:58 PM
An AM/FM Tuner would be really nice for the iPod. But howbout built in airport extreme...... Adding music with your ipod lying downstairs....

i_am_a_cow
Feb 15, 2003, 07:59 PM
:eek: WAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! now all i have to do is get an ibook to go with it!

Ive been waiting forEVER :D :D :D

ubergrid
Feb 15, 2003, 10:33 PM
For a while the PC world has had MP3 players that record audio. I think it's reasonable to assume that the iPod will eventually get this functionality as well (I know thats what I'm waiting for before I buy an iPod). Awhile back, I remember somebody making an excellent comment about how recording audio doesn't mesh well with the current iPod setup, and more specifcally, iTunes does not have any workflow built in for handling personally-recorded audio. The name of the application alone practically limits it as an audio player.
Cue in the expected audio applications (iTrax?) from Apple on the Horizon, as well as it's "iOffice" software... Although the term "iDictate" doesn't have the political message Apple may want to send, doesn't it seem like an application that would be expected to ship with a microphone-equipped iPod? Wouldn't it fit in perfectly with an Apple Office suite? An application for audio-dictations... how sweet that would be...

Comments?

mangoman
Feb 15, 2003, 10:38 PM
Comments: BRING IT! BRING IT ALLLLLLL! BRING IT NOWWWWWW! NOW NOW NOW!

OK. I'm done.

Flowbee
Feb 16, 2003, 01:12 AM
At the Palo Alto store tonight (where I played with their new 17"PB demo unit) and overheard a salesperson recommend to a customer that they "hold off for a few days" on their iPod purchase.

Hmmm...

voyagerd
Feb 16, 2003, 02:16 AM
i like weekly product intoductions...:D ;)

sparks9
Feb 16, 2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee
At the Palo Alto store tonight (where I played with their new 17"PB demo unit) and overheard a salesperson recommend to a customer that they "hold off for a few days" on their iPod purchase.

Hmmm...

WhOOhOO
Ipods tuesday!!!

iwantanewmac
Feb 16, 2003, 06:16 AM
Well if they stopped making/shipping the 5GB drives, that explaines why I'm not getting a replacement (yet) for my 5GB model.
upgrade...upgrade....upgrade........:)

BTW. I thought that on the online apple store it first said under the 5GB version: Windows 5GB version not available due too etc etc.

Now it says that it isn't available at all....
Am I right?

Ervino
Feb 16, 2003, 06:50 AM
Do you want to laugh? The European prices of the iPod are all 100 $ (or Euros, if you prefer... :) ) higher than the Usa ones. So the 5 GB is 399$/Euros, the 10GB 499 and the 20GB 599!

So long for globalization! Bah... :mad:

Cheers
Ervino

iwantanewmac
Feb 16, 2003, 06:58 AM
Tell us something we don't know allready :)
ever heard of taxes?

Bear
Feb 16, 2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Ervino
Do you want to laugh? The European prices of the iPod are all 100 $ (or Euros, if you prefer... :) ) higher than the Usa ones. So the 5 GB is 399$/Euros, the 10GB 499 and the 20GB 599!

Cheers
Ervino
In Europe, prices are usually quoted with VAT, in the US (and Canada) prices are quoted befoe Sales Tax(US) or PST & GST (Canada). So that is one of the reasons for a higher price in Europe.

MacFan25
Feb 16, 2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit

iPods are already sold at Target, GoodGuys, and Dell stores.

I think that iPods are also sold at Best Buy stores.

job
Feb 16, 2003, 08:51 AM
the online best buy store no longer has the 5gb available.

my local branches are also sold out, or "back ordered."

hmmm....

gelbin
Feb 16, 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Ervino

Cheers
Ervino

That is all thanks to EC tariffs - not thanks to apple.

Floop
Feb 16, 2003, 11:12 AM
I've been following the 'when will the iPod be updated' saga since November.

Ever since the last week of December, without fail at least one rumor site has been predicting the next iPod refresh will be within a week.

Every week, the dates passes with no new iPod refresh introduced.

I would love a new iPod, but it seems to me these rumor sites work on the basis that if they predict a new iPod every week, then at some point it will come true, and they will be able to say 'told you so'!

Every week I am stupid enough to get my hopes up, only to then be disappointed.

With all due respect, Looprumors rumor is just so vague as to be totally irrelvant. They provided nothing 'hard'.

It seems to me that all that it takes is a fat bloke in pub to mutter the word iPod, for people to start making connections and assumptions.

The only good piece of information I have heard on the iPod subject is the change in the lineup of the Toshiba drives that are in them.

However, unless anyone here is directly involved in that, then we do not know whether or not this will impact Apple's iPod line in the way that so many are predicting it will.

What if Apple have agreed to keep buying the 5Gb drives from Toshiba, even though Toshiba won't be selling them to anyone else?

I know this sounds unlikely but people just love making assumptions, and adding 2 plus 2 and coming up with 5.

I hope new iPods come soon, but I've had it with the rumor sites. The only thing I think I can be certain about with them, is that they are bottom feeding, incestuous, and devoid of any real information! Sorry.

Floop

itmdramaguy
Feb 16, 2003, 02:22 PM
Hi,
I just ordered a 5GB refurbished unit for $199 on Apple's online store site. I was wondering that if Apple were to lower a iPod down to $199 could I return a refurbished iPod to Apple? It does not say on Apple's website if I can or not. I don't think that Apple will lower the iPod prices to $199 but just in case could someone check into it.

Also, is there going to possibly be a new iPod firmware upgrade that would improve the battery life and/or features. I have heard bad things about the battery.

Thanks,
Gary :confused:

Gus
Feb 16, 2003, 02:50 PM
Well, well, well. I check the online refurb store every day, and they never change it on the weekend, but lo and behold, they removed the refurb iPods on Sat. Very interesting.

Regards,
Gus

Bear
Feb 16, 2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Well, well, well. I check the online refurb store every day, and they never change it on the weekend, but lo and behold, they removed the refurb iPods on Sat. Very interesting.
The refurb store gets updated when they run out of stock I think.

Gus
Feb 16, 2003, 03:48 PM
Yes, but I have NEVER seen them update on a weekend. I have actually even tried to purchase an item from there on a weekend, and then once Monday rolled around, I was informed that my item was no longer in stock.

Just my observations.

Regards,
Gus

g30ffr3y
Feb 16, 2003, 04:59 PM
so much waiting... i too have followed this rumor since november and after every weekly let down theres another rumor that keeps you believeing... the ipod is a unicorn already... c'mon apple... consumers dont buy $11,000 raid servers as much as theyd buy 40gig ipods... sorry, just had to post...

Computer_Phreak
Feb 16, 2003, 06:50 PM
I seroiusly think there is going to be an iPod update within 2-3 weeks. I would even say that there is > 90% chance of this happening.

Everything is in place for an update.

yzedf
Feb 16, 2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Computer_Phreak
I seroiusly think there is going to be an iPod update within 2-3 weeks. I would even say that there is > 90% chance of this happening.

Everything is in place for an update.

i have to agree.

KLFloyd
Feb 16, 2003, 07:07 PM
I don't know, I wish I could be as confident as some of you are that the update is going to happen. But I too have been following the rumor sites like mad since November hoping for an update that has yet to come.

The shortage ofthe 5GB iPods is very odd (and others have been in short supply latley too) and in my opinion a bad business move for Apple if they're not going to update.

But I still think the iPod has a basic design flaw, just the sheer number of faulty iPods out there and it wouldn't be smart of Apple to release an update until they have this issue resolved. On the other hand, if they do have the issue resolved then why not start fixing the bad iPods out there now?

Also, we're in our 2nd generaton of iPods and I think it's soon time for a major update to the iPod, not just a hard drive upgrade but added featuers (and no not the video pod). I don't think there's been enough lead time for apple to make all thoe changes to the iPod and implement the newer Hard Drives.

I think iPod updates are due, but I don't think we'll see them until April at the earliest or if not then this summer. Apple still has iTunes 4 in the pipeline and the projections now are looking at an April release a new iPod at this time too would make sence.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope Apple introduces new iPods on Tuesay. But even if they do, I'm not sure I'd buy if it were just hard disk space increases. We'll see...here's to hoping for a major update...

Floop
Feb 16, 2003, 08:11 PM
I would love an update to the iPod, as I said previously I have been waiting since November.

I do however agree with a lot of the points made by the previous poster.

Furthermore, everyone was talking about iMac updates from October through to late January.... and nothing really happened.

I hate to say it, because I hope it's not true... but Apple could well leave it until the summer until they do the next iPod refresh.

There is *no* hard evidence which makes it a given that an iPod refresh is on the way. No, not even the Toshiba specs prove that new iPods must be on the way.

Floop

DavPeanut
Feb 16, 2003, 08:45 PM

Toshiba already has made that. Sorry.

iwantanewmac
Feb 17, 2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Floop
I would love an update to the iPod, as I said previously I have been waiting since November.

I do however agree with a lot of the points made by the previous poster.

Furthermore, everyone was talking about iMac updates from October through to late January.... and nothing really happened.

I hate to say it, because I hope it's not true... but Apple could well leave it until the summer until they do the next iPod refresh.

Floop

Then why don't they replace my 5GB ipod?????
I called again today and they said: We're working on it............yeah right.
Normaly you have a replacement within 2 days.

KLFloyd
Feb 17, 2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by iwantanewmac
Then why don't they replace my 5GB ipod?????
I called again today and they said: We're working on it............yeah right.
Normaly you have a replacement within 2 days.

Yeah I do find that odd. I'm a little lost though, does Apple have your iPod or are they slow sending you the box. I know normally (depending on the time of day you call) they overnight you a box with a pre-paid overnight label on it then you send it back. 3 days travel time (or two if you're really quick) plus a day or two to replace the unit and you should have your machine back inside the week.

If you could keep bugging Apple and let us know what their respose is I'd appreciate it. Whenever I get the run-around with Apple I always ask to go higher up in the chain of command and usually someone will give me an answer. It would be intersting to know if they flat out don't have any iPods to replace yours with.

iwantanewmac
Feb 17, 2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by KLFloyd
Yeah I do find that odd. I'm a little lost though, does Apple have your iPod or are they slow sending you the box. I know normally (depending on the time of day you call) they overnight you a box with a pre-paid overnight label on it then you send it back. 3 days travel time (or two if you're really quick) plus a day or two to replace the unit and you should have your machine back inside the week.

If you could keep bugging Apple and let us know what their respose is I'd appreciate it. Whenever I get the run-around with Apple I always ask to go higher up in the chain of command and usually someone will give me an answer. It would be intersting to know if they flat out don't have any iPods to replace yours with.
Well they don't even have my ipod yet.
That's the funny part. I think they won't do that because maybe I get upgraded but they don't have the new ipods within 2 weeks. So im without an ipod for 2 weeks.
It's easier for them to explain or come come up with some vague excuse why they dont send the box than explaining me why they're not returning my ipod.
I'm waiting for 2.5 weeks allready for the box to arrive.
The first time I got a replacement I got the box within 1 day. Was picked up the SAME day and I got the new ipod the day after.
I dont want to call them too often, because maybe they're going to search fanatically to find me a 5GB version. I'd rather have the upgrade :)

sparks9
Feb 17, 2003, 03:39 PM
Smart thinking :)