Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulliwolf

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Hi, i have a powerbook G4 1.5 processor.
Its possible change the processor for my powerbook to intell core duo???.

Thanks for help.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Two entirely different processors, using different architectures.

Won't work.

Almost as bad as replacing a bunch of expensive scientists working on a bird flu vaccine, with the bodies from your local McDonalds.

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
well, i believe you can actually, you'll just have to change a bit more than the CPU.

The casings are the same size right? So screw both computers open and swap the inside :) brilliant if i may say so.
now it's like the mcdonalds guys making hamburgers in the lab, should work!

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Dafke said:
well, i believe you can actually, you'll just have to change a bit more than the CPU.

The casings are the same size right? So screw both computers open and swap the inside :) brilliant if i may say so.

They may look the same on the outside, but the MBP is BIGGER than the PBG4, not to mention ALL of the internals are completely different.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
ReanimationLP said:
They may look the same on the outside, but the MBP is BIGGER than the PBG4, not to mention ALL of the internals are completely different.

How is it bigger? I thought it was thinner? Looks the same to me.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Dafke said:

It's a bit harder. The MBP is a bit thinner and a bit wider than the PB. Also, you would need to totally kill everything internally for it to work.

-yankeefan

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
yankeefan24 said:
It's a bit harder. The MBP is a bit thinner and a bit wider than the PB. Also, you would need to totally kill everything internally for it to work.

-yankeefan

sledgehammer.jpg

:rolleyes: :D

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
This was a very legitimate question and I think he gets the point...cmon...

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
ITASOR said:
This was a very legitimate question and I think he gets the point...cmon...
I agree! Great point, Ryan. ;)

I mean, crap. Just because he doesn't know the answer to every damn question, doesn't mean you gotta chase 'em off the forums. :rolleyes:

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
well, technically you probably could. however, it's not entirely cost effective because the adaptor needed to translate signals between the intel cpu and the powermac motherboard would cost several times more than the computer itself.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
jhu said:
well, technically you probably could. however, it's not entirely cost effective because the adaptor needed to translate signals between the intel cpu and the powermac motherboard would cost several times more than the computer itself.
If you mean by several times, enought to buy yourself a fleet of Bentlys. :eek:

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Wulliwolf said:
Hi, i have a powerbook G4 1.5 processor.
Its possible change the processor for my powerbook to intell core duo???.

Thanks for help.

Only if you change out the entire machine with a new one. You should post the Powerbook on eBay and give us the auction number.

Max.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
All he could do with the 1.5 is get a CPU ugrade on it -- no intel, tho.

What no one wants to say is, like op, we all WISH we could swap 'em out. But then the elegant Apple designs would be ruined because it would be a swappable but butt ugly Dell.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Sun Baked said:
If you mean by several times, enought to buy yourself a fleet of Bentlys. :eek:

well, the first one always costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. the subsequent ones only cost a few pennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.