PDA

View Full Version : So, who's gearing up for exams?

amateurmacfreak
May 16, 2006, 06:10 PM
I, for one, have them next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
My 3rd round ever, and I'm having trouble getting motivated.
I figured there is a fair number of students here getting ready for them.... thoughts on them? Study tips? When are you taking them?

We haven't started review yet... that's on Thurs and Fri. But they're definitely in the air, except for for my smart friends a year older than me who are able to be exempt from all.

mactastic
May 16, 2006, 06:18 PM
Not me. Graduation does wonders for the number of exams you have to take. Of course, the NCARBs are looming for me still...

fuzzn
May 16, 2006, 06:18 PM
yup yup... me too... its crazy! i just CANNOT be bothered to study!
its like i sit down at my desk, my computer is at my desk, and then the procrastination starts. my exams are on June 5th, 6th, 9th, and the 12th... 9 exams altogether, 2 on 3 of the days, and 3 on the other one.
I'm giving my AS level exams (college level for anyone who doesn't know what they are)... its getting pretty stupid now because i still havn't even STARTED revising... i don't know how i'm gonna study all the stuff and be prepared :o

-fuzz

SamIchi
May 16, 2006, 06:46 PM
I've finished, my last one was one Monday. I'm waiting for my Grades *crosses finger for the 4.0*.

devilot
May 16, 2006, 06:48 PM
Just finished major project/presentation and turned in research papers. Whew. A relief... but now, on to studying for final exams. I've got three, but really only two (one is just a time for others to finish presenting their projects): stats and cultural anthro; May 22, May 23, and May 25th. Then I'm done for the semester! :D

G99
May 16, 2006, 07:00 PM
I have Common Entrance in the UK. It's really an entrance exam organised by the Independent Schools Examination Board. It's in June, and I'm revising at the moment. I'm hoping for straight As :D. Anyway, these exams aren't as major as others on here, 'cos I'm 13. Still got a long time till the "big" exams :p

amateurmacfreak
May 16, 2006, 07:05 PM
I have Common Entrance in the UK. It's really an entrance exam organised by the Independent Schools Examination Board. It's in June, and I'm revising at the moment. I'm hoping for straight As :D. Anyway, these exams aren't as major as others on here, 'cos I'm 13. Still got a long time till the "big" exams :p
Yep, I'm 13 too.
But these will determine what high schools I can get into.
And I'm hoping for straight As as well. :)

G99
May 16, 2006, 07:10 PM
Yep, I'm 13 too.
I'm trying for St.Paul's School. Are you going for anyone in particular? Anyway, I got to do Maths, English, Latin, French, Ancient Greek, Geography, History, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. If I get Cs across the board, I'm in. A single fail grade i.e D/E, means I'm not in. I'm slightly nervous :o

Spanky Deluxe
May 16, 2006, 07:12 PM
Yep, I'm 13 too.

Common Entrance?!!! Woah, I'd forgotten about them, its nearly ten years since I took those things. Complete waste of time. All you need for most decent schools is a 50 or 55% average. I can't remember what I got now. I know I got really high marks for the maths papers (I think I did three of them) and physics. I hope you get into the schools you (or your parents) want!! Which schools are you looking at?

I've got an exam at 9am tomorrow. Just back on here to take a break and eat a sandwich. Man I wish it was a common entrance exam.

steelphantom
May 16, 2006, 07:14 PM
My final exams were two weeks ago, so I'm done for the summer (or at least until I begin my Calc II class on June 26)! I had Accounting, Spanish, and Physics exams, so I was all across the academic board. ;) I was pretty scared of my Physics final, but I must have done well since I ended up with an A in the class. I'd ask the professor what I got, but I'm afraid there may have been some gross miscalculation and I would be presented with my REAL grade... :p

dmw007
May 16, 2006, 07:16 PM
I finished my final exams for college last Wednesday! :D :D :D

cycocelica
May 16, 2006, 07:51 PM
Gearing up? I took my final exams 2 weeks ago. I have been lounging around enjoying the great weather. Well good luck on that.

nbs2
May 16, 2006, 07:55 PM
I finished my final final of law school two weeks ago. Grades came in today. Not bad (actually my best of my law school career). A, A-, CR. Woohoo!

Anyway, I just wanted to wish the rest of you good luck. I can't believe that after finishing 19th grade, I'm done :D

dmw007
May 16, 2006, 08:02 PM
I finished my final final of law school two weeks ago. Grades came in today. Not bad (actually my best of my law school career). A, A-, CR. Woohoo!

Anyway, I just wanted to wish the rest of you good luck. I can't believe that after finishing 19th grade, I'm done :D

Congratulations nbs2! It must feel wonderful to have all of that schooling behind you now. :)

Shamus
May 16, 2006, 08:28 PM
I have mid-year exams in a couple of weeks for Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths Methods and English. I am amazed how fast they have appeared! I really gotta study....:o

I cant study for exams today though...I have two English essays due in a couple of days...and a system analysis for IT. :(

Good Luck to everyone else who has exams coming up :), and well done to the people who have made it through them. :)

Shamus
May 16, 2006, 08:37 PM
Yep, I'm 13 too.

I have never heard of those....we musnt have them in Australia...

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2006, 08:45 PM
I'm just glad the internet was something you had to go to the lab to use when I was in school. The whole internet thing really wasn't that big when I was in school and only because I was as CIS major did I have any exposure to it.

I'd have wasted too much time online and less time studying - especially since today you use your computer for studying as well....

Although, and this might sound crazy, I miss taking classes and having tests - weird, I know. But I like learning new things :D

D

mcadam
May 16, 2006, 08:52 PM
Wednesday is deadline for delivering my final project at architecture school... my head is a mess at these days and there's a scaringly long way to go. Then I've got three weeks to prepare my defence for it.

I won't get a grade. Just passed or failed. And failed means another 100 days for another final project... and THAT is just not gonna happen, so I better get through this first time. Kinda nerve wrecking.

Ok, back to work. Good luck to you all.

A

jaydub
May 16, 2006, 08:54 PM
I had my finals last week, now I'm just waiting for my grades to post. :o

I didn't study nearly as much as I should have, but I also believe that if you're doing your work throughout the semester, you shouldn't have a reason to cram at the very end. :)

Good luck with your tests. :cool:

MattyMac
May 16, 2006, 09:29 PM
I finished my final exams for college last Wednesday! :D :D :D
ME TOO BRO!!! ...but for grad school.
Such a nice feeling!

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 16, 2006, 10:18 PM
Finished my AP exams last week (that's kind of like college finals...kind of...:rolleyes: )

Anyway, they were pretty bad. But at least they're over...:o

Spanky Deluxe
May 16, 2006, 10:22 PM
Crap... 4 hours and fourty minutes until my first exam... 9am. I still haven't slept. It looks like its going to be an all nighter and then suffer through a 3 hour exam while tired. Thank God I got up late today (1:30ish pm).

A three hour exam on a year long module in Quantum Physics after being awake for 19 and a half hours. I must be crazy.

There's no other way I'm going to get through everything otherwise!!!!

Spanky Deluxe
May 17, 2006, 02:03 AM
Crap... only an hour to go. Luckily I managed to get through everything, wrote out all the notes, read them through again, did all the problem sheets. Now I just have to learn the equations. 6 pages of them. In under an hour.

Double strength cup of tea for me...

MacsomJRR
May 17, 2006, 02:07 AM
I finished exams last week:)

kretzy
May 17, 2006, 02:08 AM
I've got a fun few weeks lined up...

5th June - 2000 word research paper due
- 2500 word essay due
- 2 hour economics exam
6th June - 2 hour quantitative methods exam
:(

The only upside is that everything is over and done with early in the exam period which means that I have almost an entire month off between semesters! :)

Good luck to everyone with their studies! ;)

blink56k
May 17, 2006, 02:16 AM
Yeah I'm pretty much done with exams. Just waiting for my grades to post. So far I know I got an A- in History and a B+ in Stats. Not too bad.

devilot
May 17, 2006, 02:24 AM
Just found out tonight (it's a night class) that I can get a 45% on my stats final exam and still get an A in the class. Whew. What a relief. :o (I suck at math.)

russed
May 17, 2006, 03:25 AM
well tomorrow i have my 3rd exam (out of 4) and that is on health economics. then a week on friday my final exam of university (WHOOO!) is on rationality, morality and economics. eek!

but it will all be over.

i cant wait

oh and that little thing on my 21st on saturday! :D

Shamus
May 17, 2006, 04:33 AM
Crap... 4 hours and fourty minutes until my first exam... 9am. I still haven't slept. It looks like its going to be an all nighter and then suffer through a 3 hour exam while tired. Thank God I got up late today (1:30ish pm).

A three hour exam on a year long module in Quantum Physics after being awake for 19 and a half hours. I must be crazy.

There's no other way I'm going to get through everything otherwise!!!!

:eek:

Man, I wish you Much Good Luck!! :) :) :)

dmw007
May 17, 2006, 06:37 AM
ME TOO BRO!!! ...but for grad school.
Such a nice feeling!

Awesome job MattyMac! :) :)

amateurmacfreak
May 17, 2006, 06:51 AM
I'm trying for St.Paul's School. Are you going for anyone in particular? Anyway, I got to do Maths, English, Latin, French, Ancient Greek, Geography, History, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. If I get Cs across the board, I'm in. A single fail grade i.e D/E, means I'm not in. I'm slightly nervous :o
Ah, I live in the US, and I wouldn't be taking Common Entrance of course (are those UK only??), I'm taking exams administered by the school.:)If I got Cs across the board.... I have no clue what would happen, b/c I have a straight A average as of now, and I'm not sure if schools get specifically the exam grades... the exam might just average into the semester... then I'd probably have Bs or low As.... The "independent" school I want to go to is actually in my city, a day school not boarding, but it's still a good school, and highly regarded academically within Nashville, which actually.... offers a few good academic oppurtunities considering the rednecks Nashville is surrouned in.
And good luck on getting in! St. Paul looks great!

Boggle
May 17, 2006, 06:58 AM
Until Monday :(
When the first summer session starts. @ least the campus has great, er um, aesthetic qualities in the humitidy ridden months ahead. Plus, Captain Morgan loves doing her distraction training on campus :)

h?
May 17, 2006, 07:03 AM
GCSEs in the UK. 10 of them and an AS level starting on Monday and going through until the 16th June. I hate this feeling.

Spanky Deluxe
May 17, 2006, 07:51 AM
I have almost an entire month off between semesters! :)

Is it true that in Oz they have the Semesters the other way around. I.e. Bugger off time off during the middle of the year and loads at the end over the hot days and Christmas?

I've got a whopping four months off coming up. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself!!!

The exam went crap too. I had six pages of complex equations to learn and I'm pants at learning equations. When I first looked through the paper I realised I knew how to do everything. Then when I started writing I realised I didn't know the equations I needed. Result? Probably about 50% if I'm lucky when I could have got 80% if I'd know the equations. Really frustrating.

kretzy
May 17, 2006, 07:58 AM
Is it true that in Oz they have the Semesters the other way around. I.e. Bugger off time off during the middle of the year and loads at the end over the hot days and Christmas?

I've got a whopping four months off coming up. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself!!!

Yep, that's how it works. Mar - May is first semester, Jul - Oct is second semester and between Nov and Feb it's summer holidays. Mind you these are uni semesters. Schools follow similar dates, though they are broken up into 4 terms and they don't get as much vacation time.

Voidness
May 17, 2006, 08:38 AM
I have exams in the next 2 weeks... actually one exam next week and 4 the week after!

First week:
Logic Design

Second Week:
Electrical Circuits 2
Linear Algebra
Introductory Statistics
Differential Equations

Very funny, the easiest subject left all alone in the first week, and the tough ones all in one week :rolleyes: (Well, statistics is easy, VERY easy, but I just don't like it)

MoparShaha
May 17, 2006, 09:55 AM
Fluid mechanics final in five hours! :rolleyes:

jaydub
May 17, 2006, 10:19 AM
Just found out tonight (it's a night class) that I can get a 45% on my stats final exam and still get an A in the class. Whew. What a relief. :o (I suck at math.)LOL I always do the exact same thing for my classes. I even have this little excel spreadsheet set up to help me figure it out. :D

G99
May 17, 2006, 11:44 AM
Ah, I live in the US, and I wouldn't be taking Common Entrance of course (are those UK only??), I'm taking exams administered by the school.:)If I got Cs across the board.... I have no clue what would happen, b/c I have a straight A average as of now, and I'm not sure if schools get specifically the exam grades... the exam might just average into the semester... then I'd probably have Bs or low As.... The "independent" school I want to go to is actually in my city, a day school not boarding, but it's still a good school, and highly regarded academically within Nashville, which actually.... offers a few good academic oppurtunities considering the rednecks Nashville is surrouned in.
And good luck on getting in! St. Paul looks great!
Thank you! Good luck with your exams too!

Spanky Deluxe
May 17, 2006, 11:49 AM
Fluid mechanics final in five hours! :rolleyes:

Sounds nice!! I've only touched on fluid mechanics in an elements of maths module and had to write a project on vorticity and the such, it was quite cool I thought. Wouldn't want to be doing an exam in it though!! Good luck!! :)

Melkor
May 17, 2006, 11:53 AM
I've got 3 exams left:

Statistics
Digital Systems
Circuit Analysis

I'm so sick of them at the moment.

jakochampolska
May 17, 2006, 05:41 PM
Mine is friday and ends next thurs
but I probably wont end up studying :( I'm seriously the biggest slacker there is haha (but I somehow end up with good grades lol)

macOSX-tastic
May 17, 2006, 06:13 PM
i have exams from 1st june to 16th june, so they are pretty spread out. ive just finished my last peice of coursework for this year, so its down to dedicated revision tomorrow. i always forget things again if i revise too early. at least that is my excuse.

:D

S