PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Express HD Released As A Universal Binary

MacRumors
May 18, 2006, 08:32 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple released Final Cut Express HD 3.5 (http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/) this morning as a Universal Binary, making the program join with Final Cut Pro as running native on Intel processors. The new software is available as either a $299 standalone product, or a $99 upgrade.
Capture and edit DV or HDV video, add dynamic titles and graphics using LiveType 2, then score your movie using Soundtrack 1.5. New features include full keyframe control over effects and motion parameters, dynamic real-time effects, and new versions of LiveType and Soundtrack. Upgrade requires a previous version of Final Cut Express (version 1, 2, or 3) for installation

kev0476
May 18, 2006, 08:34 AM
thanks apple, even though i don't have intel, but when i do get it, this will be a program i will actually use.

japanime
May 18, 2006, 08:34 AM
Been waiting for this. Great!

erickg
May 18, 2006, 08:41 AM
Great news! Seems like Apple's apps are almost all universal binary now. :)

Eidorian
May 18, 2006, 08:52 AM
So if the video requirements are still just Quartz Extreme will it run on the GMA950 powered Macs?

Lollypop
May 18, 2006, 08:56 AM
Glad to see more universal apps! Dying to see the mac pro's and the performance in store with all the native apps.

MacRumorsReader
May 18, 2006, 08:57 AM
So if the video requirements are still just Quartz Extreme will it run on the GMA950 powered Macs?

I have always referred to FCE as Final Cut for Everyone else.

So, I'm a-thinking this will work on all the intel macs.

lekun
May 18, 2006, 08:57 AM
From Apples Final Cut Express Tech Specs:

System Requirements
An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme

Does this mean it won't run on a Mac Mini or MacBook?

(oh Lollypop beat me too it)

Eidorian
May 18, 2006, 09:04 AM
From Apples Final Cut Express Tech Specs:

System Requirements
An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme

Does this mean it won't run on a Mac Mini or MacBook?Well if it'll run on a Radeon 7500 and a GeForce 2 then I expect the GMA 950 to be able to run it. I just can't confirm it 100%. :rolleyes:

Viewtiful Rich
May 18, 2006, 09:05 AM
I've been seriously thinking about picking FCE this weekend, but was kind of worried about a new version coming relatively soon.... this would seem to put that out of the question, would many agree?

iOggy
May 18, 2006, 09:18 AM
What is the biggest differences between Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro? I understand that FCP is aimed more towards pro users, but what cant fce do that fcp can to differiate them from each other. Thanks.

stoid
May 18, 2006, 09:19 AM
I've been seriously thinking about picking FCE this weekend, but was kind of worried about a new version coming relatively soon.... this would seem to put that out of the question, would many agree?

Well, I don't think that there will be a new version until FCP 6 comes out since FCE 3.5 is based on the FCP 5 architechture.

The question I have is if the Soundtrack and LiveType that come with FCE HD are the full versions or if they also have features disabled, or not included.

corywoolf
May 18, 2006, 09:22 AM

They probably wont update it until FCS is updated, which will probably be sometime in the first half of next year, so go for it.

Well, I don't think that there will be a new version until FCP 6 comes out since FCE 3.5 is based on the FCP 5 architechture.

The question I have is if the Soundtrack and LiveType that come with FCE HD are the full versions or if they also have features disabled, or not included.
Soundtrack is not Soundtrack Pro (which I assume you knew), so they probably haven't crippled anything in it. I assume it's just the old soundtrack with minor updates made. Livetype is probably the same version which is shipping with FCS, since it is not that heavy duty of an app. Here's to Apple releasing Motion Express and Compressor with the next version of FCE. I think Apple should scrap Livetype and just have Motion & a Motion Express. They could build Livetype into Motion pretty easily.

nagromme
May 18, 2006, 09:33 AM
I didn't even realize FC Express came with those bundled additional apps. Soundtrack is a huge value right there! (And all those loops work in GarageBand too.)

All I own is the pre-Pro Soundtrack, and it's still nice.

dr_lha
May 18, 2006, 09:40 AM
GMA950 supports Quartz Extreme and CoreImage, so it should work fine.

ImAlwaysRight
May 18, 2006, 09:44 AM
I just purchased a MacBook and have FCE 2.0.3, so if I can upgrade for $99, not a bad deal to get it Intel native. Woo-hoo! Just about everything I use now is Intel native, except for Word, Entourage, PowerPoint, and the newly released Elements 4.0. Microsoft isn't just behind the times with their OS, but apparently with everything. :o

yoak
May 18, 2006, 10:03 AM
Been waiting for this, strange thing is that the Norway store still has the old version listed, NOT 3.5:confused:

rhpixelfreak
May 18, 2006, 10:04 AM
how can people rate this as negative??

robbieduncan
May 18, 2006, 10:08 AM
UK store still not updated :(

Keyframable effects :)

Multimedia
May 18, 2006, 10:16 AM
I just wrote a post yesterday telling someone who asked that FCE was NOT Universal and here we get it the next day. Way to go Apple. I am sure it will ALL work great on a MacBook too. :p Fantastic news. $99 upgrade is really fair.

yoak
May 18, 2006, 10:17 AM
Is it at the same price-point as before in the US?

red_wedge
May 18, 2006, 10:18 AM
I just wrote a post yesterday telling someone who asked that FCE was NOT Universal and here we get it the next day. Way to go Apple. I am sure it will ALL work great on a MacBook too. :p Fantastic news. $99 upgrade is really fair.

Funny you would say that 99 is fair - wasn't the upgrade for FCPro only 50? Seems a bit unfair to me...

Multimedia
May 18, 2006, 10:22 AM
What is the biggest differences between Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro? I understand that FCP is aimed more towards pro users, but what cant fce do that fcp can to differiate them from each other. Thanks.One of the biggest differences is that it only supports DV and HDV video IE none of the high end professional video types. So no biggie. :)

Funny you would say that 99 is fair - wasn't the upgrade for FCPro only 50? Seems a bit unfair to me...No that was only for the crossgrade to Universal from Final Cut Studio. Upgrades from Final Cut Pro 4/4.5 and components of Studio are $99. This is a NEW VERSION 3.5 of FCE HD - not only Universal crossgrade but an UPGRADE TOO from ANY Version 1, 2, or 3 of Final Cut Express which makes it an amazing deal. :)

"Final Cut Express HD 3.5, LiveType 2, and Soundtrack 1.5 run natively on both PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macintosh computers, and you can take advantage of the extraordinary performance offered by the latter to put your video editing into high gear."

Here is the new Final Cut Express HD Page At Apple (http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/).

baleensavage
May 18, 2006, 10:31 AM
What is the biggest differences between Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro?

http://www.apple.com/au/finalcut/
Here's a point by point comparison of the 3 video editing apps.

ChrisA
May 18, 2006, 10:35 AM
Is it at the same price-point as before in the US?

Yes, this is simply the new version of FCE which also happens to be universal.

Two thinks have kept me from buying an Intel Mac: FCP and Photoshop. Now I only have one reason to wait. When Adobe come out with a universal PS then it's time. Maybe be then Apple wil havethe Intel Power Macs shipping?

Multimedia
May 18, 2006, 10:45 AM
Yes, this is simply the new version of FCE which also happens to be universal.

Two things have kept me from buying an Intel Mac: FCP and Photoshop. Now I only have one reason to wait. When Adobe come out with a universal PS then it's time. Maybe be then Apple will have the Intel Power Macs shipping?This is a joke post right? Intel Mac Pro Core 2 Duo and Quads ship in July or August 7th at the latest - WWDC SteveNote. CS3 won't ship 'til next Spring. Under Rosetta on a Mac Pro Quad, CS and CS2 will probably run ok for light work. :)

I agree Full-time Photoshop Pros will have to stay with PPC until CS3 ships next Spring.

dvonbieker
May 18, 2006, 10:48 AM
Keyframe Capability is well worth the money!

I use Final Cut Express at home, and Pro at work. So far, the only major differences that affect me are timeshifting, and keyframing of effects. The latter being the real clincher. So, I will upgrade for sure. The ability to control every effect by keyframe over time will save me so much work, and enable work that couldn't be done in FCE before - period.

If that Dynamic RT rendering (think that's what its called) really does away with rendering for previews, that will be amazing too.

For me, the "Universal" is the least interesting of the update, so yes, this is a new version, and yes, well worth the $99 upgrade.

whenpaulsparks
May 18, 2006, 11:11 AM
everyone puts the heat on the 950 chipset. it's a huge leap better than their older ones, and its a pretty competitive chipset for normal machines (i.e. not high-end workstations). it is very responsive, and it can even play 1080p video. i don't understand why everyone is so upset about it being in the macbook and mac mini.

dr_lha
May 18, 2006, 11:16 AM
everyone puts the heat on the 950 chipset. it's a huge leap better than their older ones, and its a pretty competitive chipset for normal machines (i.e. not high-end workstations). it is very responsive, and it can even play 1080p video. i don't understand why everyone is so upset about it being in the macbook and mac mini.
Because suddenly its really important that low-end Macs be able to play Doom 3 at 100FPS for some reason.

Kingsly
May 18, 2006, 11:59 AM
on the phone w/ apple now... looks like they'll do an exchange. :D <- 'joy'

Edit: No dice. They say I have to deal w/ the local Apple store. :(

age234
May 18, 2006, 12:14 PM
Keyframing and capture HDV? I'm there! :D

BWhaler
May 18, 2006, 12:42 PM

Doubful.

They just released a new version today, and historically these apps are on annual release cycles.

weitzner
May 18, 2006, 12:43 PM

i whole-heartedly agree with you. i mean, a dedicated card will perform better, if it's a NEW card, but the cards that were in the iBook and MacMini weren't very good at all and the 950 is way better.

jholzner
May 18, 2006, 12:44 PM
Funny you would say that 99 is fair - wasn't the upgrade for FCPro only 50? Seems a bit unfair to me...

That was a cross grade since it wasn't really a new version but the old version being updated as UB. this is a new version with new features AND a UB. I think the pricing makes sense.

BWhaler
May 18, 2006, 12:48 PM
This is a joke post right? Intel Mac Pro Core 2 Duo and Quads ship in July or August 7th at the latest - WWDC SteveNote. CS3 won't ship 'til next Spring. Under Rosetta on a Mac Pro Quad, CS and CS2 will run plenty fast. :)

There is absolutely no way you can make that claim.

Remember, the CS suite has low level chip optimizations which suck in emulations. Adobe has worked with Intel and the PowerPC group, respectively, for the past 15 years to get low-level hardware optimizations.

While your comment is directionally correct, that faster chips will run emulated applications faster, it doesn't mean it's going to be usable for most folks.

And if the original poster had pro-level needs, he is dead right to wait until the native versions come out. Core 2 Duo or not, the emulated speed is not going to be acceptable to people who make their living on these tools, have enormous professional-quality files, and time is money.

BornAgainMac
May 18, 2006, 01:10 PM
And if the original poster had pro-level needs, he is dead right to wait until the native versions come out. Core 2 Duo or not, the emulated speed is not going to be acceptable to people who make their living on these tools, have enormous professional-quality files, and time is money.

Well, people used those Creative apps using 500 Mhz G3s and G4s a few years ago. I am sure the emulated speed of the Mini would beat those machines. I bet some pros are still using OS 9 on some old Mac hardware.

yoak
May 18, 2006, 01:52 PM
http://www.apple.com/au/finalcut/
Here's a point by point comparison of the 3 video editing apps.

Thanks, I have been looking for this on the Norway site, but didnīt find it.
I was going to buy FCE, but it still dosenīt support Panasonics recording formats. Shame, I canīt justify the price of FCP for the little editing I need to do

Carl Spackler
May 18, 2006, 02:02 PM
In the comparison chart, I see that Final Cut Pro is the only one listed as being able to do 24p. Does anyone know if they mean true 24p (i.e. film on shot with a VariCam) or are they throwing 29.97 stuff with pulldown removal to get 23.98 into that 24p category as well. Can one choose a 23.98 based timeline in Final Cut Express or only 29.97?

Thanks.

Kingsly
May 18, 2006, 02:16 PM
That was a cross grade since it wasn't really a new version but the old version being updated as UB. this is a new version with new features AND a UB. I think the pricing makes sense.
So what about people like me, who bought the FCE update recently, and now must pay $99 ALL OVER AGAIN to crossgrade?

robbieduncan
May 18, 2006, 02:28 PM
So what about people like me, who bought the FCE update recently, and now must pay $99 ALL OVER AGAIN to crossgrade?

Since the Final Cut Pro crossgrades were announced (in January) it was known that the Universal version of FCE would be the next Feature Release and therefore would be a normal paid upgrade. Apple posted this on their final cut express page:

"The next feature release of Final Cut Express will be a Universal application, which will run on both PowerPC- and Intel-based Mac computers."

The Uk page still has not been updated so you can see it there for yourself (http://www.apple.com/uk/finalcutexpress/).

You failed to do any basic research into your purchase so, as far as I am concerned, tough luck. It's not even like the FCE release cycle is difficult to predict!

Vaphoron
May 18, 2006, 02:30 PM
Awesome, I've been waiting for this!

bcharna
May 18, 2006, 02:38 PM
_

CmdrLaForge
May 18, 2006, 02:43 PM
Keyframe Capability is well worth the money!

I use Final Cut Express at home, and Pro at work. So far, the only major differences that affect me are timeshifting, and keyframing of effects. The latter being the real clincher. So, I will upgrade for sure. The ability to control every effect by keyframe over time will save me so much work, and enable work that couldn't be done in FCE before - period.

I think that it is really great news. The German Store is not updated yet. Just waiting until they update it. Just in case. I would expect if I order right now I would get the new version as well. Anyway - better wait.

What does "keyframe" mean. I don't understand what it could be good for.

Cheers
LaForge

Arne
May 18, 2006, 02:47 PM
I'll buy a MacBook sonn and this will be my first Mac, so I have a simple question:

Can I understand iMovie HD as some kind of a consumer-Final Cut? Can I use it to cut my videos and put some effects on them? Thanks for an answer

cherfizzle
May 18, 2006, 02:53 PM
Nice! perfect for the macbook when i get it!

xStep
May 18, 2006, 03:05 PM
Can I understand iMovie HD as some kind of a consumer-Final Cut? Can I use it to cut my videos and put some effects on them?

That is a general true statement. iMovie is a basic video editing tool and does come with some effects. Effects packs from third parties are also available.

The Final Cut tools are for people who want or require finer control and extra professional tools.

xStep
May 18, 2006, 03:08 PM

I've seen mentioned elsewhere that the latest FCP HD is capable of running decently on Mac Mini Intel boxes. Motion on the other hand seems to perform just to slowly to be useable.

dr_lha
May 18, 2006, 03:08 PM
I'll buy a MacBook sonn and this will be my first Mac, so I have a simple question:

Can I understand iMovie HD as some kind of a consumer-Final Cut? Can I use it to cut my videos and put some effects on them? Thanks for an answer
Yes.

Counter
May 18, 2006, 03:51 PM
Come on Macromedia, waiting for the Studio suite to go universal before I can buy an Intel Mac.........

barakthecat
May 18, 2006, 05:06 PM
You're going to be waiting a long time for Macromedia to do anything . . .

bloogersnigen
May 18, 2006, 06:07 PM
I have FCE 3. Do I have to pay 100 bucks for the upgrade? is the the only difference between 3 and 3.5 UB? will it be in Software Update in a few days?

Thanks
Ben

Multimedia
May 18, 2006, 07:53 PM
I have FCE 3. Do I have to pay 100 bucks for the upgrade? is the the only difference between 3 and 3.5 UB? will it be in Software Update in a few days?
BenYes you have to pay $99 and it's not an update. It's a NEW VERSION 3.5 (http://apple.com/finalcutexpress/) as well as Universal with NEW FEATURES. If you read through the posts here you will see discussion of the new features in numerous posts.

ChrisA
May 18, 2006, 08:17 PM
This is a joke post right? Intel Mac Pro Core 2 Duo and Quads ship in July or August 7th at the latest - WWDC SteveNote. CS3 won't ship 'til next Spring. Under Rosetta on a Mac Pro Quad, CS and CS2 will probably run ok for light work. :)

I agree Full-time Photoshop Pros will have to stay with PPC until CS3 ships next Spring.

No, joke intened but it did come out that way.

The addition of key frames to FCE makes it much more valuable to me so I may not wait for CS3. I may buy FPE and run it on my G4 until I upgrade

Nikon is going to release "NX" soon and I may not want Photoshop. "NX" competes with Aperture, Lightroom and to some extent Photoshop because NX has selection tools. NX will only handle Nikon raw images but if you shoot Nikon NX may be the way to go/ Seems like it will do eveything a photographer needs

ChrisA
May 18, 2006, 08:29 PM

Yes. IMove allows you to do basic editing. You can use it to chop your footage up to little bits and then add those bits to a timeline and put transitions between the bits. It is all most people will ever need and is much easier to learn then FCE or FCP.

IMove technically is NOT a scaled down FCE. It has a completely different user interface and a different "look" but it terms of feature sets, yes it's scaled down

Your best plan might be to use iMove (It's 'free" with new Macs) and then if you can't do something that you want with iMove then upgrade to FCE. Fce will read iMove projects so you don't loose to much work

davidwes
May 18, 2006, 09:22 PM
Does FCE, or even imovie, take the input from the video cameras that record onto dvd's?

Multimedia
May 18, 2006, 10:12 PM
Does FCE, or even imovie, take the input from the video cameras that record onto dvd's?Not directly. Those cameras record a rather soft flavor of MPEG2 and that presents editing challenges. You already have that kind?

If so, there is a workaround. You output analog and run it through an analog to DV transcoder that is a separate $200-$300 product. Or if you have a DV camera that has analog to DV pass through, that is your transcoder. EyeTV 200 analog TV tuner is also an analog to DV transcoder.

If not, you would be better off with any DV or HDV camera as they record much higher res pictures. HDV is a flavor of MPEG2 that iMovie and Final Cut Express and Pro do support. FCPro supports Native HDV while iMovie and FCE support a transcoded version of HDV that yields a little lower quality result after editing - technically lower, not visibly lower.

I might be mistaken. But I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't offer that consumer optical recording flavor of MPEG2 editing capability yet. Can anyone confirm or correct me?

CmdrLaForge
May 19, 2006, 02:05 AM
Anyway - this morning FCE 3.5 appeared in the German Store and I placed an order. Takes them 8 days + delivery. Ouch. !

Cheers
LaForge

ImAlwaysRight
May 19, 2006, 08:15 AM
Does anyone know if FCE 3.5 is in Apple Stores yet? Just curious if anyone has bought it locally yet.

Morvran
May 19, 2006, 08:52 AM
I ordered my upgrade yesterday (the 18th) and received an email saying it would be delivered to my house today (the 19th). Pretty nice considering free delivery and such. I'm in Washington DC btw.

Rod Rod
May 19, 2006, 04:21 PM
I might be mistaken. But I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't offer that consumer optical recording flavor of MPEG2 editing capability yet. Can anyone confirm or correct me?
You're correct that Apple video editing apps don't support DVD camcorders.

However, there is a much better workaround than the process you described.

1. Make sure to not use the proprietary Sony recording format option (the one that allows in camera edits). Use the standard one.

2. Place the miniDVD in a tray-loading optical drive. If you have a slot-loading drive, well go out and get a tray-loading external.

3. Drag and drop the files from the miniDVD and into your machine.

4. Use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the files to DV streams. http://www.squared5.com/

5. Import those files into your video editing application (such as iMovie, FCE or FCP.)

If you don't plan to edit anything, just demux the miniDVD files to m2v and AIFF or AC3 and put it all together in DVD Studio Pro.

If you used the proprietary recording format, then you're stuck with the digital to analog to digital method.

BWhaler
May 19, 2006, 04:38 PM
I bought FCE 2

Never used it.

I just bought the upgrade.

I am an idiot.

---
(Maybe it is time to learn the program)

Multimedia
May 19, 2006, 04:46 PM
You're correct that Apple video editing apps don't support DVD camcorders.

However, there is a much better workaround than the process you described.

1. Make sure to not use the proprietary Sony recording format option (the one that allows in camera edits). Use the standard one.

2. Place the miniDVD in a tray-loading optical drive. If you have a slot-loading drive, well go out and get a tray-loading external.

3. Drag and drop the files from the miniDVD and into your machine.

4. Use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the files to DV streams. http://www.squared5.com/

5. Import those files into your video editing application (such as iMovie, FCE or FCP.)

If you don't plan to edit anything, just demux the miniDVD files to m2v and AIFF or AC3 and put it all together in DVD Studio Pro.

If you used the proprietary recording format, then you're stuck with the digital to analog to digital method.Gee Thanks Rod Rod. I had no idea. But my experience with Streamclip so far has been very bad. Can you tell me what exact settings you use to successfully do that transcode to DV?

EMKoper
May 20, 2006, 05:46 PM
How long will apple keep this offer for a $99 update/upgrade to Universal? Does anyone have any insight?

The reason I ask, I am planning on buying a new PowerMac late next year and am happy with the current features of FCE ... will this $99 offer be available 2 months from now? 1 year from now? Any ideas?

robbieduncan
May 21, 2006, 03:15 AM
How long will apple keep this offer for a $99 update/upgrade to Universal? Does anyone have any insight?

The reason I ask, I am planning on buying a new PowerMac late next year and am happy with the current features of FCE ... will this $99 offer be available 2 months from now? 1 year from now? Any ideas?

In the past it's been available for the lifespan of the product. It's not really a special offer. I'd say it'll be available for approx. 1 year as they tend to release FCE express about once a year.

Multimedia
May 21, 2006, 10:03 AM

The reason I ask, I am planning on buying a new PowerMac late next year and am happy with the current features of FCE ... will this $99 offer be available 2 months from now? 1 year from now? Any ideas?By the end of next year Final Cut Express will be version 4.0 or 4.5 based on Final Cut Studio 6 which will probably be released at the Spring 2007 NAB show. This FCE $99 upgrade deal is the same $99 upgrade deal Apple has had in place for Final Cut Express since 2.0 shipped. So you don't need to buy your upgrade until you want it. I asked Apple Customer Service just now to be sure this is accurate. :)

Counter
May 21, 2006, 10:40 AM
You're going to be waiting a long time for Macromedia to do anything . . .

Adobe, Crayola, whatever :rolleyes:

CmdrLaForge
May 22, 2006, 02:34 PM
By the end of next year Final Cut Express will be version 4.0 or 4.5 based on Final Cut Studio 6 which will probably be released at the Spring 2007 NAB show. This FCE $99 upgrade deal is the same $99 upgrade deal Apple has had in place for Final Cut Express since 2.0 shipped. So you don't need to buy your upgrade until you want it. I asked Apple Customer Service just now to be sure this is accurate. :)

Wow - do you really think it will take that long before Studio 6 arrives. Thats a very long time. Hmmmm

Multimedia
May 23, 2006, 12:00 PM
While not Final Cut Express, I thought you all would want to know how well Final Cut Studio 5.1 runs on the MacBook which I think you can expect from Final Cut Express 3.5 Universal as well.

Creative Mac has posted benchmark results comparing the 13-inch MacBook with a dual 2.0 GHz G5 and a 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro running various rendering and encoding tests in Final Cut Studio 5.1., Motion 2.1, and Compressor 2.1.

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=43717Well La De Da! :p

While I rested my case back on page 85 post #2107, I guess we are looking at the real end of the dual processor G5's reign with this report. I guess this is as much of a surprise to the most die hard MacBook believers-in-the-first-place as it is to anyone who found it impossible to believe even in the face of young Lee Comley's early reports last week (http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=3513612) that the whole suite worked great in London. :D

Recently somebody here was trying to convice me I had drunk some kool-aid as a result of believing Lee and that there was no way it would work in America. :rolleyes:

Oh well. ;)

Thank you Dave Nagel for pounding that final nail in the coffin:
Conclusions
When I first got ahold of a MacBook Pro last month, I was shocked by its capability to beat out desktop G5 systems consistently. But I was doubly shocked to see such dramatic results from the newer and lower-end 2.0 GHz MacBook as well. After all, this is not just a notebook competing with a fairly current desktop system, but a consumer-level notebook at that.

Normally you don't even think about running benchmarks of professional-level creative software on a laptop against desktops, and certainly not a laptop targeted toward consumers. But in the vast majority of tests, the MacBook beat out the desktop system and certainly proved itself competition for all but the highest-end (G5 Quad) Mac systems on the market today.

Again, like the MacBook Pro, the 2.0 GHz 13-inch MacBook proves a thoroughly viable machine for users of Final Cut Studio.

octoberdeath
May 25, 2006, 09:00 AM
which would be better to run on a laptop: FC Express or FC Pro?

Rod Rod
May 25, 2006, 02:35 PM
Gee Thanks Rod Rod. I had no idea. But my experience with Streamclip so far has been very bad. Can you tell me what exact settings you use to successfully do that transcode to DV?
You're welcome Multimedia. Well, I didn't do anything special for the MPEG Streamclip DV transcode. I just clicked Export to DV in the File menu.

Multimedia
May 25, 2006, 03:57 PM
which would be better to run on a laptop: FC Express or FC Pro?Both work great. Depends on your budget and what format you are using. FCStudio (includes Final Cut Pro 5.1.1) keeps native HDV while FCE does transcode. FCE is only for DV and HDV. Studio includes DVD Studio Pro 4.1.1, Soundtrack Pro 1.1 and Motion 2.1.1. So there is no pat answer. You are cripiling yourself with only 1GB of RAM in your G5.

ChrisA
May 26, 2006, 12:29 PM
which would be better to run on a laptop: FC Express or FC Pro?

I don't think you need to answer that question. Apple will credit the money you spent on FCE later should you decide to upgrade FCE--> FCP. So you can simply buy FCE and use it until you find yourself limited them puy the extra bucks. The user interface is close enough to identical that I think you could just continue on after the upgrade.

I used this plan with iMove. I used iMove for a while but ran into limitations in iMovie's color corection ability. (I really do need this so I can cut between shots taken on different days and not jump the white ballance at the cuts.) Apple was smart to make FCE read iMove projects so users don't loose a lot of work. I doubt I will need FCP.

Multimedia
May 31, 2006, 03:17 AM
I don't think you need to answer that question. Apple will credit the money you spent on FCE later should you decide to upgrade FCE--> FCP. So you can simply buy FCE and use it until you find yourself limited them puy the extra bucks. The user interface is close enough to identical that I think you could just continue on after the upgrade.

I used this plan with iMove. I used iMove for a while but ran into limitations in iMovie's color corection ability. (I really do need this so I can cut between shots taken on different days and not jump the white ballance at the cuts.) Apple was smart to make FCE read iMove projects so users don't loose a lot of work. I doubt I will need FCP.There Is Not An Upgrade Path From FCE To FCS - FCP Is No Longer A Stand Alone Product. You can only buy Final Cut Pro with the Studio Suite now. Apple has discontinued selling Final Cut Pro by itself since going 5.1 Universal. :(

They also no longer offer an upgrade path from Final Cut Express to Final Cut Studio (formerly Pro only). :( So now the benefit of buying Final Cut Pro includes the suite of Motion 2, Soundtrack Pro and DVD Studio Pro 4 - all of which may no longer be purchased ala carte.