PDA

View Full Version : iTrip to be banned in the UK?

dops7107
May 18, 2006, 11:22 AM
Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4993528.stm

Ofcom [UK's radio and telecommunications regulator] has said it is working with other regulators to draft an EU-wide standard on the use of a gadget which plays the output of Apple's iPods on FM radios.

Using an iTrip is banned in Britain as its low-power transmissions can, in theory, interfere with legal stations.

The Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1949 forbids the use of radio equipment without a licence or an exemption.

So it is already banned, strictly speaking - I'd be surprised if there are any reported or known cases where hey actually caused interference **checks page to read article properly...**

emotion
May 18, 2006, 11:27 AM
It's defintely a banned device in the UK. With little reason it seems.

iGary
May 18, 2006, 11:29 AM
This is the kind of silly thing that makes me rethink wanting to move to the UK. Of course we have our share of silly things, too. Like gay marriage.

Back on topic, then. :D

edesignuk
May 18, 2006, 11:31 AM
Just as well my iTrip is a useless piece of crap and I never use it then, isn't it.

emotion
May 18, 2006, 11:31 AM
Despite some of the stupid things the UK govt does it's still an interesting place to live.

I never used to think like that until I travelled.

plinden
May 18, 2006, 11:32 AM
Oops, so I broke the law when I was in the UK over Christmas.

Were there any reports of interference on broadcast radio then? I would hate to have lowered people's enjoyment of the Top 40 countdown.

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic)

Just as well my iTrip is a useless piece of crap and I never use it then, isn't it.
I think it depends on where you use it. I get a lot of static on every channel on my morning commute through San Francisco, but only from where 280 North meets the 101, to halfway across the Bay Bridge. Otherwise it's fine.

EGT
May 18, 2006, 12:11 PM
I had a transmitter that was disguised as a charger which plugged into the cigarette lighter. Forget what it was called. :confused: It was brilliant but I somehow managed to misplace it. Now I'm reduced to the iTrip .. which sucks big time! :mad:

My only alternative is to find a way to wire the iPod directly to the car stereo or buy a new car. :p

BoyBach
May 22, 2006, 03:53 PM
It's defintely a banned device in the UK. With little reason it seems.

You need a licence to broadcast a radio signal, an iPod and iTrip is basically a pirate radio station.

ToastMaster
May 22, 2006, 10:50 PM
iTrip, schmiTrip. I've been using a tape adapter in my car stereo since my first iPod. Works just fine.

Greenjeens
May 23, 2006, 12:49 AM
You need a licence to broadcast a radio signal, an iPod and iTrip is basically a pirate radio station.

The itrip problem is perhaps it can select any FM frequency and get picked up by any other nearby FM radio.
I'm not sure what broadcasting class a 20-30 foot/ 10 meter maximum device would be? :)
Think it's more about an excessive range of "interference" to someone elses FM radio musical enjoyment, and on just about any frequency.

-
dave