PDA

View Full Version : iPod Revamp?

MacRumors
Feb 16, 2003, 12:28 PM
From an anonymous source and felt to be very unlikely, but published for your interest:

Continuing with their weekly assault of new products this Tuesday will see the launch of the new iPod range from Apple. The bottom of the line iPods remain as-is but will get drastic price reductions in an attempt to drive sales, whilst the top of the line iPod will make for the must-have gadget of the year. Sporting FireWire 800, colour touch screen display, games, organizer (much like ical), address book, bluetooth and email app this will be the one gadget everyone has to have, though it won\'t come cheap to begin with!

bentmywookie
Feb 16, 2003, 12:33 PM
I agree. This seems like nonsense. FW800??? What site posted this rumor?u

Floop
Feb 16, 2003, 01:04 PM
...I will dance naked around my house while singing the "I'm a little teapot" song.

I think, however, my neighbours are safe.

Floop

j763
Feb 16, 2003, 01:07 PM
sounds like something you'd read on LoopRumors, MacOSRumors or Crazy Apple Rumors Site.

MacFan25
Feb 16, 2003, 01:13 PM
I doubt that it is true either. A color screen would be neat, but it would probably just drain down the battery faster.

ELYXR
Feb 16, 2003, 01:33 PM
[admin note: This rumor is not from Looprumors]

I would buy that is 0.2 seconds! That is exactly what I'm talking about...

Also, LoopRumors was correct about Steve Jobs speaking at the Intel sales conference... there's even an audio clip on LoopRumors where he says... "We've got a room full of Pentiums" (relating to Pixar of course).

Here's the sound file: http://www.LoopRumors.com/JobsatIntel.mp3

And here's the pic:

TMA
Feb 16, 2003, 01:36 PM
I agree in general this rumor does seem abit far fetched (with the exception of cheaper base models, though maybe at 10gig)

Regarding Firewire 800 - This makes sense if Apple use a faster Hard Disk that has a burst rate faster than the original firewire can cope with. I believe some do exsist (can't remember manufacturer or price but i'll try looking it up later) The speed gain might not be a huge amount but if it doesn't cost Apple much to integrate FW 2 then I can see how it may be worth while.

Colour touch screen - I have severe doubts about that. I dont think we will see the iPod turn into a PDA.

My thoughts.

TMA
Feb 16, 2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by ELYXR

Here's the sound file: http://www.LoopRumors.com/JobsatIntel.mp3

Sounds like Steve had a cold. (waits for the crys of "that sounds nothing like our Steve!") It's him though. And perhaps some of us owe an apology to LR for ripping them to shreds when the Steve @ Intel rumor and pic were first posted there.

Still think the iPod rumor is mostly BS though. ;)

shadowfax
Feb 16, 2003, 01:49 PM
well, unlikely as this may be, this is exactly what several peoplei know would like--a newtonesque PDA with a 4gb drive and media features. i can't say "that's stupid," because it's not, but it does seem far fetched.

Gus
Feb 16, 2003, 01:50 PM
Although....

Within the last 2 weeks, the Apple Store Online's Special Deals section has had every model iPod for sell for a couple of days.

Also, I have never seen Apple change the Special Deals section on a weekend, and I check it every day, but they removed the 5GB iPods that they had on there as early as Friday.

We'll see.

Regards,
Gus

DeusOmnis
Feb 16, 2003, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry, but this is exactly what I want. My roommate has a sony clie pda w/ mp3 capabilities, and if apple doesnt release the newton again w/ pda functions, i'm going to scream a fit. My other friend has a visor, and his brother bought an old newton, and he said that as soon as he picked up the newton, he could immediately start writing on it, no trouble, but the visor he still hasnt gotten.

In any case, if this rumor is true, ill buy it the same morning that it comes out.

Bear
Feb 16, 2003, 02:53 PM
To answer several of the things already said in this thread:[list=1]
5 GB is unlikey to be available unless Apple horded the 5GB disks. (Which are out of production.)
FW 800 while it seems overkill will work on a FW400 port. Also, if you have a chain of DW800 devices, you don't want a FW400 device killing the speed of the chain. (I am not sure if this is actually the case, but it happens with other types of interfaces.)
A color screen version is quite likely. The day before MacWorld (I think) SF 2003, one of the news channels was talking about a multimedia type iPod. So this has some chance of being true.
As for the announcement date, I think this week is still a bit early for the 15" PowerBook changes since the 17" hasn't really shipped yet. So why not this week?
[/list=1]

Will I buy a new high end iPod? Not until my bank account recovers from the PowerMac I have on order. Also, if it's only a disk size increase, then I will probably wait until my 10GB iPod dies out of warranty.

DavPeanut
Feb 16, 2003, 03:11 PM
I think it will be released in the next three weeks for sure. As someone mentioned, the 17inch PB hasn't even started shipping. That doesn't mean they cant realease new 15inch ones so that all the PBs will ship together. They could actually have a non-paper release. They should also be updating iBooks soon. So, those three things in the next 3 weeks is most likely.

pyrotoaster
Feb 16, 2003, 03:42 PM
I think this rumor is mostly the contents of a wild imagination, but I do want to thank arn for posting it. It's nice to see what some people are speculating, realistic or not.

On the general idea here, I would love to see a new Newton. By the time of the MessagePad 2000 and 2100, the Newton was a computing hybrid. With the technology available today, like incredibly small 40 GB hard drives, a true Newton innovation would really work.

Back to the iPod rumor, while I would gladly juggle chainsaws if it was true, I would also buy one right away (after a trip to the ER, of course).

pyrotoaster
Feb 16, 2003, 05:05 PM
Just as a point of interest here, I thought I'd post this pic I found cruising Newton sites today.
Also, Apple still owns Newton.com, although that's not really surprising.

Anyway, the pic is of a Newton "VideoPad" prototype (picture from the Newton Gallery (http://www.msu.edu/~luckie/newtgal.htm)).
Can you spell DLD?

zach
Feb 16, 2003, 05:19 PM
hey, dont take this as a sure thing, cause i'm not sure, but i'm fairly sure i went on newton.com last year and it said: no website is registered at this adress. But, it could be that im thinking of something else...

Anyone? Do you know if im right/wrong?

zach
Feb 16, 2003, 05:20 PM
and of course, for those who dont understand the connection: Newton.com back up = new newtons.

altivec 2003
Feb 16, 2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Bear
To answer several of the things already said in this thread:[list=1]
5 GB is unlikey to be available unless Apple horded the 5GB disks. (Which are out of production.)
FW 800 while it seems overkill will work on a FW400 port. Also, if you have a chain of DW800 devices, you don't want a FW400 device killing the speed of the chain. (I am not sure if this is actually the case, but it happens with other types of interfaces.)
A color screen version is quite likely. The day before MacWorld (I think) SF 2003, one of the news channels was talking about a multimedia type iPod. So this has some chance of being true.
As for the announcement date, I think this week is still a bit early for the 15" PowerBook changes since the 17" hasn't really shipped yet. So why not this week?
[/list=1]

Will I buy a new high end iPod? Not until my bank account recovers from the PowerMac I have on order. Also, if it's only a disk size increase, then I will probably wait until my 10GB iPod dies out of warranty.
The "multimedia ipod" that you were mentioning is just a title given to a product that is made by another company, and has nothing to do with apple or the ipod. I read about it in the New York Times Circuit section :-( Oh well

pyrotoaster
Feb 16, 2003, 06:27 PM
Will I buy a new high end iPod? Not until my bank account recovers from the PowerMac I have on order.
If I buy any DLD or iNewton or iPDA-Multimedia-Tablet-Coffee Grinder-Pod device is released, the cash for it would come straight out of my Powerbook (or iBook if I can learn to lower my expectations) fund. :D

howard
Feb 16, 2003, 06:38 PM
that sort of ipod revamp would be great and i think a lot of people would buy it, and while some features are far fetched i don't think all of them are.

MacFan25
Feb 16, 2003, 07:15 PM
I think that we will see iPod updates this week. Here are my predictions for the iPod:

5 GB - discontinued

10 GB - $249, case, volume control thing, headphones

20 GB - $349, case, volume control thing, headphones

30 GB - $449, case, volume control thing, headphones

40 GB - $549, case, volume contol thing, headphones

I am also hoping for longer battery life and a replaceable battery, for when the battery dies (if it ever does).

I could be totally wrong, but o well. :D

Bear
Feb 16, 2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by altivec 2003

The "multimedia ipod" that you were mentioning is just a title given to a product that is made by another company, and has nothing to do with apple or the ipod. I read about it in the New York Times Circuit section :-( Oh well
I know what you're talking about, and that is not what I am refering to.
The news show specifically said Apple and iPod. ANd this was January 6th of this year when I saw it. (The day before MacWorld)

altivec 2003
Feb 16, 2003, 07:58 PM

The news show specifically said Apple and iPod. ANd this was January 6th of this year when I saw it. (The day before MacWorld)

Hmm, Interesting. I hope I'm wrong

shadowfax
Feb 16, 2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
I think that we will see iPod updates this week. Here are my predictions for the iPod:

5 GB - discontinued

10 GB - $249, case, volume control thing, headphones

20 GB - $349, case, volume control thing, headphones

30 GB - $449, case, volume control thing, headphones

40 GB - $549, case, volume contol thing, headphones

I am also hoping for longer battery life and a replaceable battery, for when the battery dies (if it ever does).

I could be totally wrong, but o well. :D

I have to say, i doubt there is a chance apple is going to drop a 500$ piece of hardware 150$ in a single day. that would be cool, but... no.

Shrek
Feb 16, 2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax

I have to say, i doubt there is a chance apple is going to drop a 500$ piece of hardware 150$ in a single day. that would be cool, but... no.

Well, they dropped the price of the high-end PowerMac by $300 in a single day.

DavPeanut
Feb 16, 2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Shrek
Thats a product that cost 6 times as much.

I think that they will stay with the $ #99 so hopefully it will start with 199.

pyrotoaster
Feb 16, 2003, 09:10 PM
They dropped the price of the 23" Cinema Display $1500 in one day. ;)

shadowfax
Feb 16, 2003, 09:53 PM

your point? that's, what, an 8% drop in the price? shoot, that's a joke. i am talking about a 30% price cut. that's pretty significant.

Centris 650
Feb 16, 2003, 11:13 PM
Continuing with their weekly assault of new products this Tuesday will see the launch of the new iPod range from Apple. The bottom of the line iPods remain as-is but will get drastic price reductions in an attempt to drive sales, whilst the top of the line iPod will make for the must-have gadget of the year. Sporting FireWire 800 , colour touch screen display , games , organizer (much like ical), address book , bluethooth and email app this will be the one gadget everyone has to have, though it won't come cheap to begin with! Empasis Added

Why didn't they just throw in Airport Extreme and make the price $9.95? I mean if you 're going to make it unbelievable go all the way.

As far as a DLD and with fear of derailing this thread I'll just say that if they release an affordable PDA (not a $700 ipod that's also a pda) I'll buy it before summer. Guaranteed.

rainman::|:|
Feb 17, 2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by TMA
Regarding Firewire 800 - This makes sense if Apple use a faster Hard Disk that has a burst rate faster than the original firewire can cope with. I believe some do exsist (can't remember manufacturer or price but i'll try looking it up later) The speed gain might not be a huge amount but if it doesn't cost Apple much to integrate FW 2 then I can see how it may be worth while.

The only drives that can burst above FW400 (and bursts don't really require an extra bandwidth move in and of themselves, sustained does) are full-sized drives that aren't standard. the drives in the iPod were manufactured unlike other drives to be very small and low power-- so the chances of an iPod HD needing the bandwidth of FW800 (or even close) in the next couple of years are slim to none--

plus, it's rather pointless, since you can already move data around on them very, very quickly. Most of the world's MP3 players are based on USB (some have gone USB2 tho) and don't get anywhere near iPod speeds-- but they're not HD based anyway, so they can't carry enough data to require a fast connection.

FW400 in the iPod is how it will be for quote a while-- i discredit rumors that speculate on this automatically anymore. Just some schmuck tossing in extra features to make a rumor sound more attractive--

pnw

ntg
Feb 17, 2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
The only drives that can burst above FW400 (and bursts don't really require an extra bandwidth move in and of themselves, sustained does) are full-sized drives that aren't standard. the drives in the iPod were manufactured unlike other drives to be very small and low power-- so the chances of an iPod HD needing the bandwidth of FW800 (or even close) in the next couple of years are slim to none--

plus, it's rather pointless, since you can already move data around on them very, very quickly. Most of the world's MP3 players are based on USB (some have gone USB2 tho) and don't get anywhere near iPod speeds-- but they're not HD based anyway, so they can't carry enough data to require a fast connection.

FW400 in the iPod is how it will be for quote a while-- i discredit rumors that speculate on this automatically anymore. Just some schmuck tossing in extra features to make a rumor sound more attractive--

pnw

Can someone please clarify a point for me:-
Isn't there supposed to be additional control available with FireWire 800, which would allow it to act as a stand-alone unit with the ability to download firewire streams from any connected device? This would allow you to dump direct from DV camera to iPod without a computer in sight!javascript:smilie(':confused:')

bennetsaysargh
Feb 17, 2003, 09:37 AM
i want an iPod revamp oh so very bad but i'm not gonna believe this whole thing about the color screen and the touch screen because it's just not gonna happen for a while and if it does i will go do something incredibly stupid like buy a pc.

mact
Feb 17, 2003, 04:27 PM
If you have a look outside the MP3/PDA world, you will see the obvious extra function for an iPod:

http://dvrecorder.com/

http://www.lairdtelemedia.com/files/pdf/specs/LTM-CPDV3.pdf

Even the mighty Sony has realised the future..

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professional/webapp/ModelInfo?id=67058

All these devices are VERY new and record the firewire stream coming out of your camcorder directly onto hard disk. You can then plug the unit straight into your computer and edit without capturing. All the points where you started and stopped recording are logged - you don't even have to mark scenes.

Apple is into DV, it has three DV apps, any iPod could do this now with a software update, kind of a no-brainer really. Ask any video pro/semi-pro/hobbyist - they would all buy one tomorrow - question is can they make enough of them?

MacFan25
Feb 17, 2003, 08:03 PM
your point? that's, what, an 8% drop in the price? shoot, that's a joke. i am talking about a 30% price cut. that's pretty significant.

We are hoping for the best...and a 30% price cut would be very nice. :D

shadowfax
Feb 17, 2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
We are hoping for the best...and a 30% price cut would be very nice. :D

by all means. but that doesn't make it more likely, and the argument that they drop a 4000$ piece of hardware 200$ makes it likely that they will cut 500$ iPods by the same amount is totally illogical.

but hey, i would like that! i could probably get an old 5 GB one for 150$ if they went down like that. i would jump on that so fast.... i might even go 10 GB for 200, as that would hold my whole library and then OS X (2 GB) on top of that :rolleyes: hehe. :)

spimp31
Feb 17, 2003, 08:49 PM
by all means. but that doesn't make it more likely, and the argument that they drop a 4000$ piece of hardware 200$ makes it likely that they will cut 500$ iPods by the same amount is totally illogical.

but hey, i would like that! i could probably get an old 5 GB one for 150$ if they went down like that. i would jump on that so fast.... i might even go 10 GB for 200, as that would hold my whole library and then OS X (2 GB) on top of that :rolleyes: hehe. :)

The price drop is dependent on the number of models. The price drop will HAVE to be much more significant if there are 10,20,30, and 40 GB iPods. If there are only 3 levels there isn't as much room for drops. Throw in a 30 GB, and you've got 4 different players with a max of $500. Unless there are some new, REALLY good features included in the 40 GB model, there's no way it could top the $500 price level of the 20 GB right now. You know that they can't have a 10 GB model for $100 or $150, so what are they going to do if there are 4 models? It would more likely than not go $200, $300, $400, $500. So logically a 20 GB would be 60% of the original $500 price tag. That's the only way to price them with 4 models, because the difference in GB would be the same between each model (10 GB).

HOWEVER, that said, I believe there will only be 3 models, and it only makes sense that they would stay at the same 3 price levels, but doubling what you get for that money. 5,10, 20 > 10, 20, 40. Just the doubling the amount of hard drive space would have a huge effect psychologically on consumers.

shadowfax
Feb 17, 2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by spimp31
The price drop is dependent on the number of models. The price drop will HAVE to be much more significant if there are 10,20,30, and 40 GB iPods. If there are only 3 levels there isn't as much room for drops. Throw in a 30 GB, and you've got 4 different players with a max of $500. Unless there are some new, REALLY good features included in the 40 GB model, there's no way it could top the $500 price level of the 20 GB right now. You know that they can't have a 10 GB model for $100 or $150, so what are they going to do if there are 4 models? It would more likely than not go $200, $300, $400, $500. So logically a 20 GB would be 60% of the original $500 price tag. That's the only way to price them with 4 models, because the difference in GB would be the same between each model (10 GB).

HOWEVER, that said, I believe there will only be 3 models, and it only makes sense that they would stay at the same 3 price levels, but doubling what you get for that money. 5,10, 20 > 10, 20, 40. Just the doubling the amount of hard drive space would have a huge effect psychologically on consumers.

I agree with your prediction--no 30 GB. but i don't think there is any law that apple won't go over 500$. i don't think they would, mind you, but it's not set in stone. i mean, that's also a 50% cut on the 10 GB... i dunno... if they did go 30, i think they would cut out the 5 AND the 10 GB models. i still don't think they would cut the 20 GB by 200$, but i think the same cut on the 10 GB is even more outrageous. i think apple will keep it at 3 models, 3,4, and 500$, no matter what they do.

Anne
Feb 18, 2003, 08:08 AM
darn. looks like no new ipods today (As of a few minutes ago, anyway). But hey - there is one update! I just checked the education store, and they've finally gotten rid of the "new" label for the old ipods.

Better than nothing I suppose :rolleyes:

vanillamike
Feb 18, 2003, 10:07 AM
Hey I'm not sure if it means anything but the green new sticker on the iPods over at the Canadian Apple store has been corrected as well. What are the chances of a Wednesday release?

Mike

yosoyjay
Feb 18, 2003, 10:44 AM

I remember this as well. I saw this on the technology section of CNN Headline News. They specifically mentioned a multimedia iPod upgrade. They also alluded to upgraded Powerbooks and iBooks.

pyrotoaster
Feb 18, 2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by vanillamike
Hey I'm not sure if it means anything but the green new sticker on the iPods over at the Canadian Apple store has been corrected as well. What are the chances of a Wednesday release?
A Wednesday release would be odd, but considering the fact that Monday was a holiday, I wouldn't rule it out.

evoluzione
Feb 18, 2003, 04:50 PM

i know it's not hardware, but they annihilated the price of (what was it?) WebObjects by several thousands right? my point is, it wouldn't be too crazy to expect that. oh, and what about the 23" HD, $3500 down to $2000 in a day.

here's hoping...i bought my iPod the day it was anounced a year and a half ago, and my imac a year ago. i sold my 5gigger and it's about time i was totally irresponsible about my finances again heh :D

shadowfax
Feb 18, 2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by evoluzione
i know it's not hardware, but they annihilated the price of (what was it?) WebObjects by several thousands right? my point is, it wouldn't be too crazy to expect that. oh, and what about the 23" HD, $3500 down to $2000 in a day.

here's hoping...i bought my iPod the day it was anounced a year and a half ago, and my imac a year ago. i sold my 5gigger and it's about time i was totally irresponsible about my finances again heh :D

thanks for pointing the 23" example out to me. i was just shocked when they did that. i would have fallen out of my chair if i'd been in the market for one, because, gosh, it's actually a really good deal now!

i'm a believer now. if they drop it $150-200, i'll buy the 10 GB in a minute, or at least an old price dropped 5 GB from somewhere that still has them. here's to hoping!

Wardofsky
Feb 22, 2003, 01:39 AM
My imaginary bet (Meaning that I don't highly expect it to happen) is that they will intergrate wireless in to the iPod to add a sort of Rondevzous (Spelling) like in the iTunes coming up.

Cross my fingers

shadowfax
Feb 22, 2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Wardofsky
My imaginary bet (Meaning that I don't highly expect it to happen) is that they will intergrate wireless in to the iPod to add a sort of Rondevzous (Spelling) like in the iTunes coming up.

Cross my fingers

i can see the rendezvous integration, but i still don't see much point to wireless except to make it bigger and more battery hungry. i think you can still do rendezvous w/o the wireless ;)