PDA

View Full Version : Quark 7 Released Today




Black&Tan
May 23, 2006, 10:49 AM
Okay, I don't want to rehash the InDesign QuarkXpress argument here. I need to use Quark in my daily job, and that will not change for the forseeable future.

What I'm curious about is how this new version stacks up against 4.1? Most of us have upgraded to 6, at least if we're using OSX, but still remember the reliability of 4.1. OR at least, we all knew what workarounds were required to make it work. Quark is touting the transparency features and pdf creation, but honestly, I prefer creating transparencies in Photoshop. Pdf's have worked using a combination of Distiller and the Print menu, or the export pdf menu.

What is compelling about this release, for the end user? Have they really improved the product, or just introduced a new round of bugs? Is this upgrade worth $249?



Blue Velvet
May 23, 2006, 11:05 AM
Is this upgrade worth $249?

Absolutely. It's a bargain... I've been testing both beta versions for the past few months. This is the best version of Quark since v4 and is also a Universal Binary.

Just placed an order for 4 upgrade licences about 5 mins ago from Quark.com (to get discounts) but won't install them until the 7.1 updater is released.

Edit: It's £249 + £15 shipping here in the UK. Quite a markup. :(

Black&Tan
May 23, 2006, 11:33 AM
Wow...you're right, that is quite a markup.

It's good to hear that 7 is a worthwhile upgrade. According to MacWorld, though, its not a Universal Binary yet. That will be a free upgrade this summer. Are you waiting for 7.1 because of the inevitable bugs to be discovered, the stigma thats attached to any x.0 release, or for bugs you're currently experiencing?

Blue Velvet
May 23, 2006, 11:38 AM
Are you waiting for 7.1 because of the inevitable bugs to be discovered, the stigma thats attached to any x.0 release, or for bugs you're currently experiencing?

All of the above. :D

Also just realised that it needs Tiger... we're still running Panther in the office. Need to think about this carefully 'cos when Leopard is released we'll have to justify two OS upgrades within a year. Hmmm... thinks.

Black&Tan
May 23, 2006, 11:54 AM
Well, Leopard will probably come out towards the end of this year, and then 10.5.1 will be out next year, so you should be okay to do Tiger this year, if you're so inclined.

Not sure when Quark 7.1 will be out, they have a habit of taking ages to release updates. Quark has the chance to move ahead of InDesign, it they don't shoot themselves in the foot, that is.

Also, it will take some time before the Adobe apps and font applications are ready for Leopard. I'm planning on waiting till next Spring/Summer for Leopard, unless I talk myself into upgrading to a new Intel tower.

The attraction to a few Windows games is awfully strong....

Black&Tan
May 23, 2006, 12:28 PM
But what most intrigues me about 7 is the enhanced font handling. I'm currently working on international translations for my company's product lines. There are 24 translations for each including Greek, Icelandic, Romanian, Turkish, Norwegian, etc. Many of the fonts I need to use only work in Quark 5 under classic. Frustrating to say the least! If 7 will allow me to work natively in OSX, I'll be a happy camper. At least once I convince my IT department, the President, and the Operations department that I really need the upgrade. I still haven't been able to upgrade to CS2 or Office X!!!!

dornoforpyros
May 23, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hey they updated their logo again!
Then again I guess after the last logo refresh (http://jawboneradio.blogspot.com/2005/09/quark-logo-ripoff.html) they were left with little choice

Blue Velvet
May 23, 2006, 12:41 PM
Hey they updated their logo again!

Old news, buddy.

dornoforpyros
May 23, 2006, 12:45 PM
Old news, buddy.

oops really? well I haven't visited their site in a while, my bad :o

lurcher
May 24, 2006, 05:19 AM
I heard the upgrade price of 249 is for ANY previous versions. If this is the case then it's a decent price to upgrade from 4.1 :)

Blue Velvet
May 24, 2006, 06:23 AM
I heard the upgrade price of 249 is for ANY previous versions. If this is the case then it's a decent price to upgrade from 4.1 :)

Really? Then that's excellent news for those stubborn die-hards still using v3 or 4 in Classic or OS9 but for those of us who faithfully shelled out for v6, that's a bit of a swizz. :(

idkew
May 24, 2006, 07:39 AM
What versions are applicable to the upgrade price?