PDA

View Full Version : Dashcode Included with MacBook

MacRumors
May 24, 2006, 04:38 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In November (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=160056) there were reports of an upcoming Apple development tool for creating Dashboard Widgets. The new application was called "Dashcode". A few screenshots circulated around the web, with no details on release timeframe.

The Dashcode application now comes with the Developer tools that accompany the MacBook. One user posted screenshots (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22692707@N00/tags/dashcode/) of the application.

The application can be found at in /Developer/Applicatons after installing Developer Tools which accompany the MacBook or MacBook Pro.

May 24, 2006, 04:40 PM
Sounds interesting!! Are they easy to use?

zap2
May 24, 2006, 04:42 PM
That cool i guess can you xopy it to a externa disk and use it on another Mac?

Kingsly
May 24, 2006, 04:43 PM
Soooo... apple... where's my copy?

Jesus
May 24, 2006, 04:48 PM
What about the iMac??

Eaon
May 24, 2006, 04:49 PM
A new version of Xcode was just released yesterday. Wouldn't it make more sense for this to be linked to Xcode releases instead of specific hardware like the Macbook?

(I've downloaded 2.3, but haven't installed it yet. Hopefully tonight.)

alienyouth211
May 24, 2006, 04:49 PM
..it's pretty easy to use, but a tad buggy.

Coheebuzz
May 24, 2006, 04:50 PM
No Dashcode in my Developer Tools on my MPB, i guess it only comes with the new Xcode version.
I read the app is circulating around the web, i guess am lawfully entitled to it right? :cool:

longofest
May 24, 2006, 04:51 PM
A new version of Xcode was just released yesterday. Wouldn't it make more sense for this to be linked to Xcode releases instead of specific hardware like the Macbook?

(I've downloaded 2.3, but haven't installed it yet. Hopefully tonight.)

One would think. Dashcode is NOT included in XCode 2.3, and as of now, it is not on developer connection for download. Wonder if this will spur Macbook sales :)

arn
May 24, 2006, 04:55 PM
While there are copies floating around, we're not sure the legality of posting links to this (otherwise) unreleased application, so we'd ask people not post download links here.

thanks
arn

quigleybc
May 24, 2006, 04:59 PM
already leaked to shady sites...

that was quick:cool:

me354
May 24, 2006, 05:03 PM
:confused: :confused: i just recently purchased a macbook.. i cant seem to find it, sry if im oblivious..help? if i have to download the developer tools, where do i find these?

thx

WildCowboy
May 24, 2006, 05:04 PM
i just recently purchased a macbook.. i cant seem to find it, sry if im oblivious..help?

You have to install the optional Developer Tools that came with your MacBook. It's not included in the default installation...check your install discs.

SaddY
May 24, 2006, 05:13 PM
While there are copies floating around, we're not sure the legality of posting links to this (otherwise) unreleased application, so we'd ask people not post download links here.

thanks
arn
ehm..

Download Name File Size Date Posted
Xcode 2.3 (Disk Image) 915 MB 23 May 2006

This is on the Apple Developer Connection website anyone can register to ?

arn
May 24, 2006, 05:14 PM
ehm..

Download Name File Size Date Posted
Xcode 2.3 (Disk Image) 915 MB 23 May 2006

This is on the Apple Developer Connection website anyone can register to ?

My understanding it is not included in Xcode 2.3. Am I wrong?

arn

WildCowboy
May 24, 2006, 05:16 PM
My understanding it is not included in Xcode 2.3. Am I wrong?

arn

You are correct...it is NOT part of Xcode 2.3.

me354
May 24, 2006, 05:16 PM
You have to install the optional Developer Tools that came with your MacBook. It's not included in the default installation...check your install discs.

thanks a lot .. i think i got it

ZildjianKX
May 24, 2006, 05:25 PM
Can someone tell me why Apple would NOT want to help developers make software/widgets for their operating system? Why the heck isn't this publically available?

Unless it got pulled because it was buggy and the discs were already pressed.

Southerner
May 24, 2006, 05:29 PM
It's only early days anyway it probably will be included within OS X Leopard when it gets released...

shawnce
May 24, 2006, 05:33 PM
Can someone tell me why Apple would NOT want to help developers make software/widgets for their operating system? Why the heck isn't this publically available?

So you think Apple developed this but doesn't want to release it to developers because Apple doesn't want developers to develop Widgets. :confused:

Apple appears to have mistakenly released the tool and they haven't officially released the tool yet... and we can only speculate as to why... IMHO most likely it simply isn't ready for prime-time or depends on (or was planned to be bundled with) something that Apple isn't ready officially release.

bankshot
May 24, 2006, 05:33 PM
Interesting. I hadn't gotten around to installing the developer tools yet. Strangely, there was no option to do that when doing a clean reinstall off of the included DVD that came with the Macbook. As far as I could tell, all the other bundled applications were there as options in the Tiger install: Quicken, some board games, some Comic generator app, iLife, iWork trial, MS Office trial, etc. No developer tools, though.

Anyway, I was just about to download Xcode 2.3 and bypass the install DVD since 2.3 should be newer. I guess now I'll do the DVD first, then upgrade to 2.3 so I'll have this Dashcode. May not ever use it, but it could be fun if I get the chance. ;)

ImAlwaysRight
May 24, 2006, 05:34 PM
Yea! I've got Dashcode. :) But, I won't be using it, methinks... :o

Platform
May 24, 2006, 05:43 PM
This looks great, like Automator for widgets....I want it NOW :p

Cubert
May 24, 2006, 05:44 PM
This is freakin' sweet!!! I don't have a new MacBook or MacBook Pro, but I sure would like to have this app. Who knows why Apple does weird things like this (secretly releasing an app). Although, with 1,954 widgets listed on Apple's site, we certainly aren't lacking in the widget department (and it's only been just over a year! Tiger was released on April 29th, 2005. Nearly 2,000 widgets in one year!) I do think that you will see an explosion of widgets out there if Apple ever makes this more widely available. Hopefully before Leopard!

dombi
May 24, 2006, 05:46 PM
Soooo... apple... where's my copy?

Check here:
http://digg.com/apple/Apple_accidently_releases_Dashcode_

corywoolf
May 24, 2006, 06:01 PM
already leaked to shady sites...

that was quick:cool:
This was on digg this morning, pretty cool app though. :)

jnichols959
May 24, 2006, 06:13 PM
i have a macbook that i purchased a few days ago. just installed the developer tools from the DVD yesterday and there is no Dashcode installed...

Daveway
May 24, 2006, 06:28 PM
Wow, this is just what i needed. I had some widgets i was working on that i couldn't get to work and this fixed'm right up.:cool:

speg
May 24, 2006, 06:42 PM
I must be stupid but I can't get it to work. I create a new project, and then can't do anything? I try to drag some buttons and stuff onto the canvas but they won't stick! :confused:

bobber205
May 24, 2006, 06:42 PM
I'm sure it's just a matter of time till this gets released officially.

gandalf55
May 24, 2006, 07:46 PM
tried it several times - dashcode likes to crash a ton for me. its def. not complete yet - but it seems interesting. it needs a little more attention to the coding aspect of it.

i tried doing a quick rss reader - and it launched but didnt pull my xml, etc.

when its done, im sure it will be pretty great.

amacgenius
May 24, 2006, 07:52 PM
I checked my dev tools (installed them today), and no trace of Dashcode, although it is on my system ;) - but not via Dev Tools.

Dashcode crashed on me once, but I did get time to make a widget:
http://amacgenius.com/mr/dashcode.png

Xephian
May 24, 2006, 07:53 PM
Nice, maybe we'll see more widgets for Dashboard now.

Spanky Deluxe
May 24, 2006, 08:33 PM
This looks great!!

What language are Widgets written in? I've only had experience on VB apps back in the day and now C and matlab but only for little scientific programs. I'd love something simple to warm up in before trying the big boy Apple programming apps. This sounds perfect!

ruud
May 24, 2006, 08:37 PM
What language are Widgets written in?
They're basically just miniature web pages, using HTML for content, CSS for layout, and JavaScript for interactivity.

corywoolf
May 24, 2006, 10:04 PM
They're basically just miniature web pages, using HTML for content, CSS for layout, and JavaScript for interactivity.
Isn't that referred to as AJAX? I am confused.

Nvmd, I just checked out wikipedia and found out that "Ajax, shorthand for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML, is a Web development technique for creating interactive web applications. The intent is to make web pages feel more responsive by exchanging small amounts of data with the server behind the scenes, so that the entire web page does not have to be reloaded each time the user makes a change."

bloogersnigen
May 24, 2006, 10:57 PM
I must be stupid but I can't get it to work. I create a new project, and then can't do anything? I try to drag some buttons and stuff onto the canvas but they won't stick! :confused:

Same here. Its really pissing me off.

sord
May 24, 2006, 10:59 PM
Very nice - works great on my PowerMac Quad! Very glad its a universal app. I wonder if they will do something like they did with frontrow and that photo booth thing - make it specific to certain machines. I hope not.

It only crashed once on me, and it was on close so no biggy.

EDIT: google "site:apple.com dashcode" and you get 4 results in anoncvs pages

bankshot
May 24, 2006, 11:04 PM
i have a macbook that i purchased a few days ago. just installed the developer tools from the DVD yesterday and there is no Dashcode installed...

Same here. I reinstalled the entire system as standard procedure, so I wonder if it was only on the hard drive but not on the DVD? Whatever was there when it shipped is now gone.

Either that or maybe it's part of WebObjects? I didn't want to install WO just to find out...

sord
May 24, 2006, 11:11 PM
Same here. I reinstalled the entire system as standard procedure, so I wonder if it was only on the hard drive but not on the DVD? Whatever was there when it shipped is now gone.

Either that or maybe it's part of WebObjects? I didn't want to install WO just to find out...
I don't have a Mac Book, but I know for sure it wouldn't be a part of WebObjects. WebObjects is a J2EE application framework and has nothing to do with Dashboard.

icloud
May 24, 2006, 11:27 PM
Already Made a widget for a friend courtesy of dashcode

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/2638/picture17wm.png

Pistol Pete
May 24, 2006, 11:34 PM
Check here:
http://digg.com/apple/Apple_accidently_releases_Dashcode_

yes i got it thanks...

milatchi
May 25, 2006, 12:08 AM
Hmmm, Dashcode looks interesting.

octoberdeath
May 25, 2006, 12:14 AM
so does this program make creating dashboard widgets real easy...like for an amateur coder?

icloud
May 25, 2006, 12:15 AM
so does this program make creating dashboard widgets real easy...like for an amateur coder?

For rss feed making yes....to design all you need is an image editor...most of the work I found was photoshop design

as far as "from scratch" widgets...which I know nothing about...probably need a bit more knowledge

bat755
May 25, 2006, 05:53 AM
I've downloaded the app and didn't work.. Can you help me? Is dashCode working only on MacIntels?

trip
May 25, 2006, 07:43 AM
it's a web designer ! Now get this in iWeb and give us visual margins and paddings as control handels and bingo bango! Vissual css :D

Project
May 25, 2006, 09:13 AM
The icon is really beautiful. Mike Matas maybe?

smsm1
May 25, 2006, 11:02 AM
I'm the same :-(

hayesk
May 25, 2006, 12:12 PM
I've downloaded the app and didn't work.. Can you help me? Is dashCode working only on MacIntels?

Uhm... why not Get Info on the application and see if it's Intel only?

Makosuke
May 25, 2006, 01:41 PM
Hmm.. I also have a MacBook Pro (one of the first round of 17" that shipped), and I installed most of the Dev Tools package, but no Dashcode on my system until I found a download either.

It does look like it's not quite ready for prime time yet, but it also looks like it has awesome potentially for even the only-moderately-technically-literate.

Here's hoping for some polish and a release to the public soon. Who wants to bet this is part of 10.5?

Mal
May 25, 2006, 01:44 PM
Makosuke, it's on the MacBooks only, not the MacBook Pro's. Although I don't seem to have it either...

jW

amacgenius
May 25, 2006, 02:40 PM
Uhm... why not Get Info on the application and see if it's Intel only?

It's a universal application.

http://amacgenius.com/mr/dashcode_uni.png

Caitlyn
May 25, 2006, 03:43 PM
This is gonna be like FrontRow and PhotoBooth were originally with the iMac. Ya can't have 'em unless you buy another machine. :rolleyes:

polyesterlester
May 25, 2006, 05:21 PM
This is gonna be like FrontRow and PhotoBooth were originally with the iMac. Ya can't have 'em unless you buy another machine. :rolleyes:

Nah, I don't think so. It made sense with FrontRow and PhotoBooth (older macs didn't have the IR port, and didn't have built in iSight), but it doesn't make any sense with this app. This is just a case of Apple accidentally releasing an app before it was ready to see the light of day (and trust me, it's not ready yet. Buggiest Apple app I've ever used, probably).

roundobi
May 25, 2006, 09:00 PM
Here is an article on a direct download of dashcode 1.0

http://roundobia.com/myblog2/

steve_hill4
May 28, 2006, 11:47 AM
While some details I think I have slightly wrong, I have added the wikipedia page for Dashcode.

I encourage all to edit. I haven't contributed much to them recently and even then I wasn't logged in, so forgive me, but I do want as many making this place accurate in it's content.

PiTT
May 29, 2006, 03:21 AM
when I put a different target data instead of the default one in a countdown widget it doesn't work...
Someone have this problem too?

Nate4747
May 29, 2006, 03:49 AM
This is one of the buggiest apps ever, someone must have goofed and put it in the dev tools package before it was ready.

On the other hand, I have built a few widgets with it and they are great. Once you figure out the quirks in DashCode and know what makes it crash you can avoid those actions and get some cool stuff done.