PDA

View Full Version : Apple Exercise iPod Tempo Patents

MacRumors
May 25, 2006, 07:34 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Hrmph reports (http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/79/apple-speeds-up-the-music/) on recent patent applications from Apple which revealed that they have been working on other exercise-related features for the iPod. The recent Apple/Nike partnership Sport Kit (http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/) revealed earlier this week could just be the start.

The Nike Sport Kit incorporates an accelerometer placed in your shoe that communicates wirelessly with your iPod nano. The iPod nano then displays additional information about your exercise including time, distance, calories burned and pace.

The patent application reveals that Apple has also been working on additional features that could sync your exercise to your music. One possibility described is syncing your music to the same tempo as your run.

The Pat App suggests either changing the tempo of the song or the iPod selecting songs which match the tempo (the host computer would analyse songs and add a tempo tag to each).

One aspect of the patent is to use your running speed to set the music tempo- if you're running slowly it'll play slower music- running faster- faster tempo music.

Tempos could be adjusted based on user preference, but sample menus also reveal a "Training" option which could offer different tempo profiles, increasing and decreasing over time.

mcarnes
May 25, 2006, 07:38 AM
Can't wait to try this with Metallica. :p

dambro1978
May 25, 2006, 07:47 AM
this would be a real FIGATA.

HAPPY OWNER OF A 12" PB

longofest
May 25, 2006, 07:49 AM
The Nano is now officially the exerciser's iPod.

That is why I don't own one :D

Sad, isn't it?

mac-since-199o
May 25, 2006, 08:09 AM
Christ, I don't exercise.
I sit here all day reading mac forums.:D

thejadedmonkey
May 25, 2006, 08:11 AM
That's pretty sweet...any chance they'll make it compatable with a 1st gen or 3rd gen iPod? :p

Vaphoron
May 25, 2006, 08:12 AM
That would be a pretty cool feature if I had a Nano and could get up off my butt and go run, but that ain't gonna happen.

yoshi1013
May 25, 2006, 08:14 AM
Dude, a feature that plays music to how fast you run would be sweet. I already have a playlist of songs that match my walking speed. It sort of makes it feel like you're in a movie or that the world centers around you when things are in sync like that. I wonder if anyone on the street notices how my walking pace will suddenly change without any apparent reason.

asphalt-proof
May 25, 2006, 08:15 AM
I can see the lawsuits roll in as a rash of speed metal-induced heart attacks sweep though the running communities across the nation. :eek:

tkidBOSTON
May 25, 2006, 08:22 AM
The real question is can it play Eye of the Tiger when I'm running up stairs... :p

Dark Horse
May 25, 2006, 08:23 AM
this would be a real FIGATA.

a what now?

octoberdeath
May 25, 2006, 08:25 AM
sounds ingenious. apple really is a leader in the market!

Ulfhednar
May 25, 2006, 08:37 AM
I saw that Lance Armstrong was one of the Nike/iPod promotors . . . I hope that Lance being involed is some kind of hint of what's to come!

Abstract
May 25, 2006, 08:41 AM
Christ, I don't exercise.
I sit here all day reading mac forums.:D

Yeah, then people like you can sue Apple for selling an iPod that seems to play no music for most of the day.

dambro1978
May 25, 2006, 08:41 AM
Figata
in italian means
"too cool".....

:)

Dunepilot
May 25, 2006, 08:43 AM
A brilliant idea for 4-to-the-floor house music. If, like me, you listen to a lot of math-rock (all sorts of crazy time signatures) and post-hardcore/emo (much of which is in 6/4) ... not so good.

j-a-x
May 25, 2006, 08:43 AM
The tempo thing sounds kinda dumb to me, I don't wanna listen to my music with a funky temp...

But the Nike shoe thing with running stats sounds pretty cool.

Frisco
May 25, 2006, 08:45 AM
I love this idea! Got to get me some Taylor Hicks songs!

macbookAPRIL1
May 25, 2006, 08:53 AM
Is there any reason why this shouldnt be compatible with the ipod video?

modernpixel
May 25, 2006, 09:07 AM
More exciting than excercise -- I love the idea of iTunes going through my music and setting tempo tags for everything. I was just thinking the other day that it would be great if I could somehow automate creating a playlist of slow music, or dancey music, etc. This would be a really awesome addition.

irishgrizzly
May 25, 2006, 09:09 AM
What about a tempo sync for lovers? It could be placed near a bed and adjust the music according to the vibrations. Barry White with no/little movement... etc. :)

fahlman
May 25, 2006, 09:12 AM
The tempo thing sounds kinda dumb to me, I don't wanna listen to my music with a funky temp...
It doesn't adjust the tempo of the song, but chooses a song that matches the tempo that you are running at.

SciTeach
May 25, 2006, 09:13 AM
The real question is can it play Eye of the Tiger when I'm running up stairs... :p

Or the theme from ROCKY.....

"That would be a pretty cool feature if I had a Nano and could get up off my butt and go run"

Can we say electric shock? The batteries are suppose to be better.:rolleyes:

Scarlet Fever
May 25, 2006, 09:29 AM
imagine walking with pink floyd... lol
that'd be something like one step every 2 seconds :D

my dad runs a bit, and when he first saw this Nike+Apple thing, he thought you put your nano into your shoe :P

MarcelV
May 25, 2006, 09:39 AM

You may not realize it, but it is done daily on the radio. Most radio stations use this kind of method to speed up the play time of a song. I can asure you that you don't notice the difference. The nifty thing here is that it adjust based on user input.

Over Achiever
May 25, 2006, 09:39 AM
If this sees the light of day (past development), this would be an extremely useful feature for everyone, especially if they determine the bpm in iTunes. Then people can have slow/fast smart mixes determined by the tempo of the song, and i can create playlists for how fast I run. I do tend to run towards the tempo of the music I'm listening to =)

MarcelV
May 25, 2006, 09:43 AM
It doesn't adjust the tempo of the song, but chooses a song that matches the tempo that you are running at.

I ithink you're incorrect. The patent states "The hand-held media player additionally includes a processor configured to control the output of the music items based on the motion of the media player.", which can be interpretated as adjust tempo of a song, which isn't hard to do and can be done without you noticing it, as you probably only will adjust it for 10-20%. Pitch will not change, so the song will sound very natural.

octoberdeath
May 25, 2006, 09:48 AM
i want a pair of those shoes! now all i have to do is buy the shoes and nano and i'll be the coolest kid in town

RodThePlod
May 25, 2006, 09:51 AM

Hehehehe... mine would have to be the Benny Hill music. Y'know - when he's going at, like, 50 mph...

:D

RodC
--
www.expodition.com - for iPod users who love to travel
Check out my lens at Squidoo: http://www.squidoo.com/podsnapshots

derfreddy
May 25, 2006, 09:56 AM
i always dreamed of scratching with the wheel.. maybe

drgnmstrnik
May 25, 2006, 10:06 AM
The post is slightly wrong in describing the new Nike+Apple device. It is not an accelerometer (which would make sense) but rather a piezoelectric which generates a voltage every time pressure is applied. For this reason you need to input your weight, and "running style" before you start the first time. It does not actually measure the distance traveled, but rather it measures each step and estimates the distance traveled from that, kind of like a crazy expensive version of the pedometers that McDonalds gave away (altho the wirelessness, data analysis, and iPod integration pretty much make it worth it...but I digress).

Cobrien
May 25, 2006, 10:07 AM

"That would be a pretty cool feature if I had a Nano and could get up off my butt and go run"

Can we say electric shock? The batteries are suppose to be better.:rolleyes:

Do you realise that Eye of The Tiger was the theme from rocky, lol.

That does sound cool though, and it's good cos im in America when theyre released so i can get them without being ripped off... for once.

Play Ultimate
May 25, 2006, 10:10 AM
This would be very useful. I stopped using my iPod when I run because my candence changed with the beat. Now if I could set a tempo, like a metronome, then I would be good to go.

asphalt-proof
May 25, 2006, 10:13 AM
Do you realise that Eye of The Tiger was the theme from rocky, lol.

That does sound cool though, and it's good cos im in America when theyre released so i can get them without being ripped off... for once.
I think he is referring to the original theme to Rocky.. the one where he is running through the streets with the crowd following. Eye of the Tiger was from Rocky III (I think).

mac-since-199o
May 25, 2006, 10:20 AM
Yeah, then people like you can sue Apple for selling an iPod that seems to play no music for most of the day.

Ah, touche. Dosn't matter anyway, my 1st gen iPod is still motering on and I hope it isn't compatable. Then I have no excuse to exercise.
But I could never sue Apple. NEVER!

wickermac
May 25, 2006, 10:24 AM
Is there any reason why this shouldnt be compatible with the ipod video?

Because the iPod video has a physical hard drive where as the nano has flash memory. In my opinion exercising with a hard drive based iPod is crazy and will shorten the life of your iPod. You could walk with an iPod just fine, but while running (or any other cardio exercise) the HD is being shaken. This will cause errors and the data is thrown out, preventing the music from loading into the buffer. I believe the buffer is 32mg which will last you roughly 20mins. For serious runners 20mins is just their warm up.

~Shard~
May 25, 2006, 10:26 AM
Very cool stuff - it's all part of the evolution of the iPod, which is a good thing. The iPod can't stay the same forever, and we've already seen it evolve to color screens, video, etc. It needs to keep changing in order to stay on top and competitive, and I think introducing additional functionality like this is a great way to accomplish that.

I know I would use some of these rumored features for my workouts, so it will be interesting to see what comes out of this. :cool:

ennerseed
May 25, 2006, 10:31 AM

But the Nike shoe thing with running stats sounds pretty cool.

So you have never heard a dj before! wow you need to get out a bit.

dongmin
May 25, 2006, 10:33 AM
The real question is can it play Eye of the Tiger when I'm running up stairs... :pIt already does...kinda. You can cue up your "power song" by a push of a button.

~Shard~
May 25, 2006, 10:33 AM
Because the iPod video has a physical hard drive where as the nano has flash memory. In my opinion exercising with a hard drive based iPod is crazy and will shorten the life of your iPod. You could walk with an iPod just fine, but while running (or any other cardio exercise) the HD is being shaken. This will cause errors and the data is thrown out, preventing the music from loading into the buffer. I believe the buffer is 32mg which will last you roughly 20mins. For serious runners 20mins is just their warm up.

In theory, perhaps, but my experience has been the complete opposite, so I have to disagree with you. I have been doing cardio with my 3G iPod for over 2 years now - jogging, running, sprinting, marathon, interval training, inclines, stair training, you name it. I've been shaking it up quite a bit and yet it has never once skipped on me and the battery life is only minimally less than what it was when I purchased it over 2 years ago.

I can see the logic behind what you're saying, however the simple fact is that (at least in my case) this is simlpy not true, and exercising with a HD-based iPod is definitely not "crazy". :cool:

weitzner
May 25, 2006, 10:50 AM
how come in the patent pictures, the iPod in the drawings is a 3G, not a nano or a 5G iPod. strange eh?

weitzner
May 25, 2006, 10:53 AM
In theory, perhaps, but my experience has been the complete opposite, so I have to disagree with you. I have been doing cardio with my 3G iPod for over 2 years now - jogging, running, sprinting, marathon, interval training, inclines, stair training, you name it. I've been shaking it up quite a bit and yet it has never once skipped on me and the battery life is only minimally less than what it was when I purchased it over 2 years ago.

I can see the logic behind what you're saying, however the simple fact is that (at least in my case) this is simlpy not true, and exercising with a HD-based iPod is definitely not "crazy". :cool:

you sir are lucky. harddrive + shaking = bad idea. a friend of mine was running with her mini and the head of the harddrive crashed:eek: i think apple just doesn't want to encourage running with harddrive based players.

RodThePlod
May 25, 2006, 10:56 AM
how come in the patent pictures, the iPod in the drawings is a 3G, not a nano or a 5G iPod. strange eh?

The diagrams in patent submissions such as these are always quite general and cannot/should not be taken as depicting a specific model.

RodC
--
Check out my Squidoo lens at: http://www.squidoo.com/PodSnapShots

weitzner
May 25, 2006, 10:59 AM
The diagrams in patent submissions such as these are always quite general and cannot/should not be taken as depicting a specific model.

RodC
--
Check out my Squidoo lens at: http://www.squidoo.com/PodSnapShots

i know, but i just thought it was odd to show a product that no longer exists

chuckiej
May 25, 2006, 11:00 AM
You may not realize it, but it is done daily on the radio. Most radio stations use this kind of method to speed up the play time of a song. I can asure you that you don't notice the difference.

I assure you I do and it really bugs me (if I've heard the original tempo).
-------
I think its also saying it can change to a song with a faster or slower tempo based on the input, not just change the tempo of the current one.

hrmpf
May 25, 2006, 11:05 AM
The post is slightly wrong in describing the new Nike+Apple device. It is not an accelerometer (which would make sense) but rather a piezoelectric which generates a voltage every time pressure is applied. For this reason you need to input your weight, and "running style" before you start the first time.

I wonder what the Nike+ bean is- the apple website says "The sensor uses a sensitive accelerometer to measure your activity, then wirelessly transfers this data to the receiver on your iPod nano."... i suppose we'll see what the iPod software and hardware is like when it's released.. battery life on the nike bean could be a killer of this

It does not actually measure the distance traveled,
but neither do accelerometers

RodThePlod
May 25, 2006, 11:06 AM
i know, but i just thought it was odd to show a product that no longer exists

Seems as though the patent application was originally filed in November 2004...

RodC
--
Check out my Squidoo lens: http://www.squidoo.com/PodSnapShots

~Shard~
May 25, 2006, 11:09 AM
you sir are lucky. harddrive + shaking = bad idea. a friend of mine was running with her mini and the head of the harddrive crashed:eek: i think apple just doesn't want to encourage running with harddrive based players.

Just stating the facts, that's all. And thanks for calling me sir. :D

waveman216
May 25, 2006, 11:14 AM
This is EXACTLY why I never listen to music while I'm running. I never wanted the tempo of the music to screw up the tempo of my running.

But this new idea sounds insanely promising and I'd really want to try it!

JonHimself
May 25, 2006, 11:22 AM
This does look really promising. I have noticed that a lot of people (or at least a good amount) use those tiny creative mp3 players while working out. BUT this addition could really attract the healthy/gym crowd even moreso than it already does. I have a 5G and then a shuffle that I use at the gym, but once this whole thing pans out I may be tempted to upgrade to the nano.

Also, it would be awesome if iTunes could figure out the bpm on all my songs. I've considered trying to do it but I don't have a whole month to dedicate to the cause... It sure would make beat-matching a lot easier for a simple playlists

Sharewaredemon
May 25, 2006, 11:30 AM
Something no one has commented on is this:

The sensorís battery is not replaceable. Battery life will vary considerably based on use and other factors.

quigleybc
May 25, 2006, 12:07 PM
Wow, what an awesome idea

As someone that is obsessed with rhythm, this is seriously cool...

Forget working out, i just want to run around with the beat syncing to my movements....that is fun..

swingerofbirch
May 25, 2006, 12:13 PM
I tried two different pedometers--the one from McDonald's which barely worked, and one for about $15 that only seemed to catch half my steps.

I think it's more accurate to run a known distance or for a certain period of time.

As for myself, I need to get back to walking before I can think about running.

Porchland
May 25, 2006, 12:40 PM
I saw that Lance Armstrong was one of the Nike/iPod promotors . . . I hope that Lance being involed is some kind of hint of what's to come!

Bike computers would be a natural move for Apple. The difference there is that they wouldn't be creating a market; they would be entering one that is already pretty well defined. That is going to happen more and more as Apple continues to spread the nano into more lifestyle areas.

Porchland
May 25, 2006, 12:43 PM
iTunes has had a database category for Beats per Minute as long as I can remember. Maybe the new Nike-spiffed tracks will take advantage of that.

I wonder if there's a way for Apple to push out database info for tracks you already own. :confused:

shambolic
May 25, 2006, 12:48 PM
Something no one has commented on is this (non-replaceable battery)

According to Nike's online store (http://niketown.nike.com/niketown/catalog/collection_pdp.jsp?productId=118701&categoryId=307903) (click on "click to expand details" next to the Sport Kit listing), battery life is somewhere around 1000 hours.

Doing a little math with that number... as a casual runner, I run maybe two hours total (about 15 miles) a week at the most. 1000 hours / 2 hours per week = 500 weeks = 10 years.

So if the claimed battery life is accurate, I don't think it's going to be a problem. Even for a more dedicated runner who maybe puts in 2 hours a day, rather than a week, you should only have to replace the unit every 12-18 months or so. And at $29, it's nothing compared to the cost of regularly replacing running shoes.

bankshot
May 25, 2006, 01:12 PM
Boo!!! :mad:

Would it kill them to spend time fixing a few existing bugs before stuffing in more esoteric features? Honestly, I know that my pet peeve bug is only noticed by a small percentage of users, but I can't imagine a much higher percentage wanting this stuff. Sure, some people really do exercise regularly, but most of us are lazy bums who only talk the talk. :rolleyes: ;)

Bah.

</angry old curmudgeon>

ATG
May 25, 2006, 01:18 PM
LOL :)

This packaging looks exactly like a DMG. I expected it to say "Drag the icon to your applications folder" :p

jbembe
May 25, 2006, 01:29 PM
This is PRECISELY what I've wanted for bike training for years!!:eek:

May 25, 2006, 01:30 PM
looks awesome, I might just have to get one.

On a side note, I think a really awesome feature for the full size ipod would be GPS navigation. I always have my ipod in my car, and I would definately buy a new one with gps capability, imagine the ease of use of an apple product (syncing, voice guidance) in a gps unit, plus it would be like the only one available that is compatible with the mac!!!

call me crazy, lol, or agree with me :)

heaven
May 25, 2006, 02:05 PM
I cant wait to get my hands on it! :cool:

RodThePlod
May 25, 2006, 02:09 PM
call me crazy, lol, or agree with me :)

Oh I agree with you. The idea of a GPS unit somehow attached to an iPod is one of the things that prompted me to develop my website :D

RodC
--
Check out my lens at Squidoo: http://www.squidoo.com/PodSnapShots

May 25, 2006, 02:17 PM
cool website!!! Come on apple, a gps would be an awesome addition!! I wonder if a 3rd party manufacturer could do something like that?

Oh I agree with you. The idea of a GPS unit somehow attached to an iPod is one of the things that prompted me to develop my website :D

RodC
--
Check out my lens at Squidoo: http://www.squidoo.com/PodSnapShots

tvillingett
May 25, 2006, 02:35 PM
I wonder what the Nike+ bean is- the apple website says "The sensor uses a sensitive accelerometer to measure your activity, then wirelessly transfers this data to the receiver on your iPod nano."... i suppose we'll see what the iPod software and hardware is like when it's released.. battery life on the nike bean could be a killer of this

but neither do accelerometers

Actually, with some clever algorithms you CAN measure the distance with a 2-axis accelerometer. You integrate the acceration and get a 2 dimensional circular movement.
From this you extract the movement when the foot is in contact with the ground (and multiply with two, assuming that the other foot without sensor is doing a similar stride), and then you will get a pretty accuraty distance measurement (3%, compared to GPS, according to one paper I read about this). I'm sure there will be much tests by the early adopter on this site :)

There could be more error when going much upphill or downhill though.

donlphi
May 25, 2006, 04:59 PM
That sounds absolutely absurd. Why would I want my music to change tempo? The whole point of having a song in a playlist is because of it's intensity and the mental state it puts you in.

I can just imagine listening to my favorite song being "conducted" by my running pace. One second it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks (http://www.thechipmunks.com/) and the next minute it sounds like a Teddy Ruxpin (http://www.teddyruxpin.com/) Doll with worn out batteries.

STUPID idea. No moron would ever use that feature. NOT EVEN FOR TECHNO.

Why does Apple do that? Why not something good like a GPS feature that actually does SOMETHING.

I love my Apple Computer. I have loved all of my Apple Computers... even the Newton... but man does it get hard to defend stupid stuff like this.

May 25, 2006, 05:24 PM
I think the link to tempo is about which songs to play rather than speeding up or slowing down the tempo of the song that is currently playing.

Forgetting exercise for a moment - I'd like a feature in iTunes to link time of day to tempo - say you're having people over for a dinner party - startup your favorite playlist on random and then hand over to iTunes gradually change the range of songs played based on the time on night. Party might start with some fast moving, heavy hitting tunes around 7 but by the time you are into the port, iTunes has thoughtfully shifted to something more suited to the mood...

That way you get to relax with the guests without worrying about music selection. Of course, if Apple could harness the technology from those "mood testing machines" @ 25c a pop in shopping malls then there would be an even more precise link to song selection by iTunes

Bring it on I say!

~Shard~
May 25, 2006, 05:29 PM

How about house, trance or prog? Techno is only one small genre of electronic music... :p ;) :cool:

NewSc2
May 25, 2006, 05:51 PM
imagine walking with pink floyd... lol
that'd be something like one step every 2 seconds :D

my dad runs a bit, and when he first saw this Nike+Apple thing, he thought you put your nano into your shoe :P

Pink Floyd isn't 30bpm... it's more like 90-110.

Anyways, that's why I put on techno (not house, trance, progressive, or breaks) when I run. I find 125-135bpm perfect for running.

Charlie35
May 25, 2006, 08:54 PM
"Have albums with tracks that blend together with no break in sound?
Tired of that little jolt of silence in between songs?
Tell Apple you want true gapless playback in iTunes and iPod!"

bankshot: that's not the ipod's problem. that's how mp3s are. if you take an acid or soundtrack loop, (aiff or wav) and convert it to mp3, it would create a little gap at the beginning and end. it's part of the format. it isn't perfect.

btfgus
May 25, 2006, 09:38 PM
Strolling along to Otis singing "Sittin on the dock of the bay".

How relaxing

MacsomJRR
May 25, 2006, 10:47 PM

Eye of Tiger only plays while running up stairs while wearing a sweaty hooded sweatshirt and you must be screaming "Adrian! Adrian!"

oliverlubin
May 26, 2006, 08:34 AM
That sounds absolutely absurd. Why would I want my music to change tempo? The whole point of having a song in a playlist is because of it's intensity and the mental state it puts you in.

I can just imagine listening to my favorite song being "conducted" by my running pace. One second it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks (http://www.thechipmunks.com/) and the next minute it sounds like a Teddy Ruxpin (http://www.teddyruxpin.com/) Doll with worn out batteries.

Why does Apple do that? Why not something good like a GPS feature that actually does SOMETHING.

I love my Apple Computer. I have loved all of my Apple Computers... even the Newton... but man does it get hard to defend stupid stuff like this.

totally agree about slowing down or speeding up music. i actually posted the following the day of the announcement...

it would be really nice if Apple made iTunes able to automatically calculate song BPM. you could then create smart playlists for different paces. at the same time, with this Nike+ setup, you could have dynamic workouts, for example that got faster or sprints, but also adjusted to your current pace by selecting songs automatically with similar BPMs while you're running. if only...

it would be nicer if the songs were selected to MATCH your current pace. a paced song is nice and sometimes is a little faster than your current pace which pushes you a little more. i think settings like you have an treadmills like hills or sprints or whatever where the ipod would select slower songs then faster songs all in accordance with your current pace AND the preset "workout" type.

seems to me this could already be done if you go through and put in BPM info to all your songs. you'd just have to select the correct playlist.

knackroller
May 26, 2006, 10:05 AM
At $29 this is a very good price, i thought they would have charged much more.

goantelope
May 26, 2006, 10:12 PM
My ingenious friend Adam whom I'm currently partnered with on a substantially more fabulous project (in a very different market) created a prototype of this device in about a day, as well as the subsequent patent, while working at Apple as an intern nearly two years ago. He won an award for his efforts and a brand new (at the time) 40Gb ipod which has since broken. His other work is equally fantastic. I assure you all, this was not a strategic effort and is basically just Apple collecting patents.

Sponge Worthy
May 27, 2006, 12:14 PM

Maybe, or maybe not. I read that Lance Armstrong is there because he's training for his first NY Marathon. In other words, he's there as a runner instead of a cyclist.

Still, some of the things we read about this tells of more to come. The problem with doing this for cyclists is that it is illegal (in some places, like mine) to ride a cycle with earphones. It's a safety issue. Also, it doesn't tie-in to cross-product marketing as easily as a new pair of running shoes.

bankshot
May 27, 2006, 02:23 PM
I don't like to take over threads with my pet peeve issue, but since you brought it up... :D

"Have albums with tracks that blend together with no break in sound?
Tired of that little jolt of silence in between songs?
Tell Apple you want true gapless playback in iTunes and iPod!"

bankshot: that's not the ipod's problem. that's how mp3s are. if you take an acid or soundtrack loop, (aiff or wav) and convert it to mp3, it would create a little gap at the beginning and end. it's part of the format. it isn't perfect.

Yes, there is an inherent gap at the end of the last frame. No, it is NOT a difficult problem to solve. I can think of 3 easy solutions:
Look for and skip over silence at the end of the last frame.
Rip the whole album as one file with chapter markers and treat "chapters/songs" just the same as individual songs/files are treated now, with separate metadata, the ability to put different songs in different playlists, etc.
Add the precise end time of the song as another tag and honor that at playback, which some other players already do.

Furthermore, iPod and iTunes add a much larger gap between songs than can be attributed to that last frame of the file. This is due to poor software design that doesn't use proper buffering. It can be fixed easily, Apple just chooses to ignore it. So much for Mr. Jobs the so-called perfectionist. :rolleyes:

Finally: http://www.pretentiousname.com/mp3players/

That's all I have to say. Back to your regularly scheduled Nike/iPod discussion! ;)