PDA

View Full Version : The Dead Gaming on MacBook Thread.

MacRumorUser
May 26, 2006, 06:53 AM
Since I no longer game on the macbook other than the brief experimentation back in may 2006, i have decided to kill this thread because I can't be bothered checking on it.

some threads should be left to die.

Emperor
May 26, 2006, 07:09 AM
Please give a test for Counter Strike Source as well please thats the only game i would play on when i buy my MacBook :)

MB Buyer?
May 26, 2006, 07:32 AM
congrats i'm glad it's working for you.
can you give us frame rates in each of the games? esp HL2
i'd also love to know about older 3d games like quake3 and return to castle wolfenstein etc.
BTW how much RAM do you have?

Thanks!

TBi
May 26, 2006, 08:02 AM
Would love to hear what WOW is like on it. Even that didn't run as smoothly as i would have hoped on the MBP :S

MacRumorUser
May 26, 2006, 10:01 AM
White (not being a black sheep - following the hurd :p ) MacBook 2ghz
1gb Mem (for now) and 80gb HDD.

I'm still installing HalfLife 2 - damn I hate steam :mad:

All the old games like Q3, Return to Wolfenstien should play maxed out, if more modern games aren't struggling then those certainly shouldnt.

I'm not that bothered about gaming on my macbook, besides I have a powermac and an imac, plus every console going so :rolleyes: But i thought I'd give it a try simply because everyone has been slagging it off - and yet they were just jumping to assumptions on it's performance and not hands on performance.

I also must comment that though my HDD is 5400rpm, its very quick - to the pont of me double checking Fujitsu's website to make sure.
It's definetly as fast as my 80gb 7200rpm drive in my previous Rev E. powerbook.

I'll update later after I've had a bit more time and bloody steam has finished updating HL2 & CS:Source..

TBi
May 26, 2006, 10:22 AM
So no issues at all with your macbook? No whine or mooing? How's the temperature of the thing?

When i get refunded for my MBP i will more than likely get one now. Will probably get the bigger 80GB hard drive and get some ram from wherever is cheapest.

MacRumorUser
May 26, 2006, 10:41 AM
So no issues at all with your macbook? No whine or mooing? How's the temperature of the thing?

When i get refunded for my MBP i will more than likely get one now. Will probably get the bigger 80GB hard drive and get some ram from wherever is cheapest.

I cacked myself when I opened the brown box and pulled the macbook box out of it. The corner of the inside box was all smashed up? Yet outside box wasnt?

So I cautiously opened the box fearing the worse, but everything is perfect.

NO mooing - well apart from the cows in the field opposite my house :)

NO whining or squeaking from Latch etc...

No dead pixels at all.

Tempreture is fine, but then it's on an iCurve, but 90% of the time I hardly hear any fan at all. Only time really heard the fans was from gaming through bootcamp.

CD drive is a bit noisy, but nothing major different to any other small drive - mac mini etc..

TBi
May 26, 2006, 10:50 AM
Great to hear you got a good one so. I'm hoping my new laptop (whatever it may be) will be as good.

Well wear as they say :D

paddy
May 26, 2006, 10:54 AM
Delighted. I was one off the ones who knocked the old integrated graphics but seeing as it seems to be doing nicely I might get a Macbook after all. :)

BurtonCCC
May 26, 2006, 11:09 AM
World Of Warcraft and Doom 3 need to be tested... now. Let me know the findings.

Daniel.

QCassidy352
May 26, 2006, 11:18 AM
Doom 3...

rofl. good luck with that.

BurtonCCC
May 26, 2006, 11:58 AM
Well it runs well on my 12" PB, but then again, apparently I've got an alright graphics card in it.

Daniel.

MacRumorUser
May 26, 2006, 01:36 PM

Have you tried it? Or are you jumping to assumptions like everyone else seems to be. :rolleyes:

I'll try and borrow a copy of doom 3 tommorow to give it a try, I'm sure it will run fine - just a matter of getting the settings right.

I'm sure it'll match or better the performance of the 12" powerbook regardless.

I'm 98% on HL2 and 97% on CS:Source. I'm giving up for now as I want to play xbox live and then goto the cinema later.

But please people dont post 'it will run like *****', unless you've tried it yourself and have first hand experience, it's not helpful to those who are geniunely interested.

Mord
May 26, 2006, 02:33 PM
GMA 950 got most of it's bad rep from an UT2k4 benchmark but if you run the latest version of UT on it it beats the 1.42GHz 14" ibook by about 20% and that had the radeon 9550 in it, it'll play practically any new game on low settings fine and most if not all recent games on low/medium settings.

lucasban
May 26, 2006, 02:36 PM
i get about 20-25fps on the $1099 model outside and anywhere from 30-50 inside with ichat and safari open. havent tried it on boot camp but id expect even higher fps there. one thing i would suggest upgrading is the ram though. i am going to buy a 1 gig stick to bring myself up to 1.25gigs.

QCassidy352
May 26, 2006, 02:41 PM
But please people dont post 'it will run like *****', unless you've tried it yourself and have first hand experience, it's not helpful to those who are geniunely interested.

What you're posting isn't helpful either unless you actually say what you mean by "high settings" or "smooth and enjoyable." Those are subjective terms that mean nothing. You want to prove that the GMA950 is decent, run extended benchmarks and get some objective data.

Because all of the OBJECTIVE data I've seen suggests that the GMA950 is utter garbage. For example:
an intel mini against a G4 mini and an intel imac in 3d games (http://www.barefeats.com/mincd.html)
the macbook is outperformed by a G4 powerbook and barely beats a g4 ibook in UT2004 (http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firstlooks/macbookbench/index.php)
the GMA950 chokes and dies on Doom3 and Quake4 (http://www.pcstats.com/ArtVNL.cfm?articleid=1939&page=7)

You want people to believe that the GMA950 is decent, post some objective benchmarks (not subjective descriptions) that contradict what I've linked.

(Disclaimer: I have a macbook. I want the GMA950 to be a good chip. Really, I do. I love my macbook and the graphics are the only thing I don't like, so I'd *love* for you to be right. But you're not, from everything I've seen.)

Abulia
May 26, 2006, 03:31 PM
Hey, ease up MRU. You're not exactly being the model of helpful either.

I just got my MB today, plus 2GB and a 7200rpm drive. Windows XP is up and running as we speak. I'll be posting some benchmarks as well.

Hard numbers, that is. Not some subjective garbage. ("Runs AWESOME!") :D

The Senator
May 26, 2006, 03:55 PM
I am very sceptic on those bf2 reports. bf2 requires a 128mb graphics card. did you have aa on???

MacRumorUser
May 26, 2006, 04:27 PM
I am very sceptic on those bf2 reports. bf2 requires a 128mb graphics card. did you have aa on???

NO. Now That would be crazy. :) Never used Vertical Sync or AA as they lose you frames - they do so on a top of the range dedicated GPU, so wasnt going to go there, period.

Yes my opinions are subjective. When I say high, it was the default setting most of the games autodetected.

Thanks Don for sticking up for me, it's hard to assertain framerate on a game like Rollercoaster Tycoon and The Sims 2

Also installled and run without any problems (with settings on high - again to clafify the anal retentive in the audience, these were its own suggested settings when first run), 'THE MOVIES' but I cant post framerates for that either as i dont know how for a start.

I know how to do the timedemo in Doom3, so i'll give that a go tommorow
and I'll post my settings for Oblivion etc.

risc
May 26, 2006, 06:40 PM
BareFeats just posted 3D gaming benchmarks for the MacBook: http://barefeats.com/mbcd3.html

It also includes Core Image benchmarking it's an interesting read.

mkaake
May 26, 2006, 06:56 PM
What you're posting isn't helpful either unless you actually say what you mean by "high settings" or "smooth and enjoyable." Those are subjective terms that mean nothing. You want to prove that the GMA950 is decent, run extended benchmarks and get some objective data.

Because all of the OBJECTIVE data I've seen suggests that the GMA950 is utter garbage. For example:
an intel mini against a G4 mini and an intel imac in 3d games (http://www.barefeats.com/mincd.html)
the macbook is outperformed by a G4 powerbook and barely beats a g4 ibook in UT2004 (http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firstlooks/macbookbench/index.php)
the GMA950 chokes and dies on Doom3 and Quake4 (http://www.pcstats.com/ArtVNL.cfm?articleid=1939&page=7)

You want people to believe that the GMA950 is decent, post some objective benchmarks (not subjective descriptions) that contradict what I've linked.

(Disclaimer: I have a macbook. I want the GMA950 to be a good chip. Really, I do. I love my macbook and the graphics are the only thing I don't like, so I'd *love* for you to be right. But you're not, from everything I've seen.)

your disclaimer really confused me - you have a macbook, but your only opinion of whether he's right or wrong is based on 3 reviews from other people? why can't you just try the games out on your own? especially since 'good' in a game is very subjective...

aaron.lee2006
May 26, 2006, 10:19 PM
Those BF2 reports scare me rofl, high detail lol. Are you sure he isn't talking about the MBP by mistake?

TrenchMouth
May 27, 2006, 12:35 AM
Going back to the OP, one of the things I am beginning to understand is that the Wintel version of games, running in bootcamp of course, are likely going to run better than Mactel versions, obviously running in OS X.

I also understand that this desparity is largely due to the OpenGL/ActiveX difference in many Mac/Windows games.

My point is, that's great that the games perform well in bootcamp, but I am not about to install Windows on my Mac to play games. I would rather WOW, Doom, UT2k4, or whatever, run just as well in OS X as it does in Windows if it is running on the same computer.

What it comes down to is that there really isnt a portable Mac on the market for me right now. I will stick with my 12' iBook until there is something that meshes the design of the MacBook with a little extra kick at no extra cost.

iHeartTheApple
May 27, 2006, 12:36 AM
I sure hope what the OP is saying is true. I've had my white 2GHz MB for almost two days now, but haven't gotten around to doing the games thing yet. I've got 2GB of RAM and a 7200rpm 100GB Seagate Momentus in the mail, though. Once that gets here (sometime next week) I'll load up some games and post back here with my findings.

I tend to believe that the OP is telling the truth, though. Wyrmintheapple's game testing movie (http://www.wirewyrm.f2s.com/MacBook.mov) and review (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=203688) is what got me. You should check it out...seriously. WoW runs great, UT2004 runs great...even Need for Speed. Reference for the above-linked movie:

Games shown, in order are Marble Blast (non uni-bin version) WoW, UT2004, and the Windows versions of NFS:U and NFS:MW.

Anyway, take it easy on the GMA950, eh? :rolleyes: The only benchmarks I care about is real world gaming performance. I really don't care how it plays compared to other compies out there...as long as it plays. :p

jdiddy
May 27, 2006, 03:12 AM
I tried to install BF2 on my 2.0 MB and it wouldn't even launch. I got HL2 working and will download CS:S ina bit. I'd love to have BF2 working even a crippled watered down version of it. Oh well I always have my desktop.

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2006, 04:54 AM
I tried to install BF2 on my 2.0 MB and it wouldn't even launch. I got HL2 working and will download CS:S ina bit. I'd love to have BF2 working even a crippled watered down version of it. Oh well I always have my desktop.

I used the single player and multiplayer demo version which came on a pc demo disk. Didnt have any trouble with it? Why would the full version be different :confused:

Have to wait to get Doom 3 & Oblivion from my nextdoor neighbour, he's not back from uni till later in the afternoon.

I'm gonna finish instaling HL2 now.

When we post it runs 'great' I think what we mean to say is it runs at a consistently playable rate with enough of the graphical features so we dont feel its being ' totally crippled'.

Obviously a stand alone GPU is going to be better, no ones arguing otherwise. I just wanted to post that the machine is capable of playing games, and playing some of the latest titles very well. Obviously it will depend on your game and of course the amount of ram in your macbook, and whether your running in windows or osX. My point remains valid that the macbook isnt the 'wash out' that people were saying.

jdiddy
May 27, 2006, 04:59 AM
I used the Demo version which came on a pc demo disk.

Have to wait to get Doom 3 & Oblivion from my nextdoor neighbour, he's not back from uni till later in the afternoon.

I'm gonna finish instaling HL2 now.

HL2 works on the lowest settings fine. I still couldn't get the full version of BF2 installed on here. I'm downloading the demo now just to see how BF2 looks on this MB. Doom 3 should run on lowest settings but good luck on Oblivion I run that on my PC and I have a 6800gt and 1 gig of ram and it still chokes my system.

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2006, 05:09 AM
HL2 works on the lowest settings fine. I still couldn't get the full version of BF2 installed on here. I'm downloading the demo now just to see how BF2 looks on this MB. Doom 3 should run on lowest settings but good luck on Oblivion I run that on my PC and I have a 6800gt and 1 gig of ram and it still chokes my system.

Yeah i'm not expecting huge things from oblivion, but i'll give it a go. I was very surprised with the perfomance of it on my imac with a X1600.

So far RTS & Sims type seem to run better than FPS.

Dissapointed you were only able to run HL2 on low? I'm at 99% still updating. To go through hassles of steam for low is a bit :o But how does it look on low?

How much memory is in your macbook by the way? I think if your still on stock 512 thats gonna make a big difference.

jdiddy
May 27, 2006, 06:33 AM
How much memory is in your macbook by the way? I think if your still on stock 512 thats gonna make a big difference.[/QUOTE]

I have 1 gig in a single stick. I didn't try HL2 on any other setting but low. I aimed low. Installed the bf2 demo but still can't get it to launch. Any tips??

Dont Hurt Me
May 27, 2006, 06:41 AM
HL2 works on the lowest settings fine. I still couldn't get the full version of BF2 installed on here. I'm downloading the demo now just to see how BF2 looks on this MB. Doom 3 should run on lowest settings but good luck on Oblivion I run that on my PC and I have a 6800gt and 1 gig of ram and it still chokes my system.running is one thing playing is another, 9 frames at a low resolution isnt playable in respect to Doom3

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2006, 06:46 AM
I have 1 gig in a single stick. I didn't try HL2 on any other setting but low. I aimed low. Installed the bf2 demo but still can't get it to launch. Any tips??

I'm running 512x2 = 1gb I believe the dual channel pairing works better with the onboard gpu.

No tips for BF2 - the demo disk (PC Zone) worked without any hitch so I'm not sure why it wouldnt work on yours. I'm running XP Pro SP2 - would that make any difference (i.e if your running home), after all it is windows and we know how tempremental it can be.

9 frames on doom 3 i'm skeptical of as well, as soon as I get my hands on a copy I'll give it a go for myself.

Dont Hurt Me
May 27, 2006, 06:49 AM
We have way to many people pushing integrated graphics here, i wouldnt want anybody making a Big Mistake. Thinking what a great machine it is and then popping in say a 2 yr old Doom game or FarCry for example.

Legacy
May 27, 2006, 06:53 AM
running in dual channel mode makes a huge difference in games, and i think i remember reading that you need it running dual channel to work with vista effects ect that may be effecting your ability to play HL2

oh and dont hurt me have you ever made an original post? you say the same thing again and again and again and again and again and guess what, it does not help, it's perfectly possible to play most games at 25-30fps at low settings on the macbook if your running dual channel, i'd rather apple used proper graphics but deal with it and stop shouting at people for wanting to do some light gameing on the macbook.

You dont need any specific RAM configuration for Vista at all, it only improves it. Why do people try and make Vista sound like such a heavy peace of software. Have you ever thought to yourself how many machines there are out there that have Dual Channel config RAM? As long as you have 512RAM and a Direct X GPU, integrated or not, you will run ALL the Vista effects quite well.

As for Dual Channel on the GMA950 yep it effects games but if you have a crap GPU to start with, the fps increase will only be marginal - max 3-5fps if you get 30fps anyway. So youll get around a 10% FPS increase.

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2006, 06:57 AM
As for Dual Channel on the GMA950 yep it effects games but if you have a crap GPU to start with, the fps increase will only be marginal - max 3-5fps if you get 30fps anyway. So youll get around a 10% FPS increase.

But those 3-5 when your at 20-21 fps - adding those extra 3-5 will make a playable difference, much more so than when your at the top end of gaming.

We have way to many people pushing integrated graphics here, i wouldnt want anybody making a Big Mistake. Thinking what a great machine it is and then popping in say a 2 yr old Doom game or FarCry for example.

look what I said is not pushing integrated graphics, what i'm saying is from the few games i've played and yes my experience may not be indicative of the community as a whole, those games I've played have all been running well. Now I'll admit i would have loved a seperate GPU in the macbook, but realistcally it wasnt going to happen, you only have to look at apple in the past to see how they target and cripple consumer to pro models.

That being said there is more people on the forum saying that gaming is a complete no-no which isnt the truth, yes its not ideal, but you can play the odd game.

Yes at reduced settings for heavy laden FPS shooters, or like I say stratergy games seem to run fine with settings up. Some people like myself are happy with performance of RCT3 or Sims 2.

BUT I'd like to reiterate, gaming isn't that much of an issue for me with the macbook as I have all the consoles, a dual powermac with a X800Xt and a 20"imac duo, so once I've finished testing I will be deleteing windows as I dont need it on my macbook.

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2006, 08:16 AM
the difference when running dual channel is between 15-50% which is pretty huge.

Wow. That really would make a difference to framerates. Just popped next door, not returning from Cork uni this weekend :( i'll have to download the Doom 3 demo, can you do the timedemo run on the demo? Not going to waste downloading 600-700mb or watever it is to find out you cant....

drdimmer
May 27, 2006, 08:59 AM
Thank-you for testing this for members of the forum, but please do let us know as to how well CS:S and HL2 runs :-).

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2006, 09:15 AM
Thank-you for testing this for members of the forum, but please do let us know as to how well CS:S and HL2 runs :-).

Will do, just charging my battery for calibration. I did the drain battery rountine, god it took ages. Got about 5 hours with brightness halfway and bluetooth off, but wireless on - just surfing the net etc....

QCassidy352
May 27, 2006, 10:20 AM
your disclaimer really confused me - you have a macbook, but your only opinion of whether he's right or wrong is based on 3 reviews from other people? why can't you just try the games out on your own? especially since 'good' in a game is very subjective...

because I got it 2 days ago and don't own any of the games in question...

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2006, 11:04 AM
OK wierd thing just happened. Battery fully charged, boot up windows and the windows auto updater starts.

After its updated it asks to reboot. It reboots and I get a blue screen message?

So i hold down power button and then I reboot again and it starts.

Everything seemed fine except now eject key doesnt work anymore, so I unistall the apple drivers and reboot. Re-install the apple drivers and then reboot again.

God I hope they can stop all the rebooting with Vista.

So i'm back up and running. I click on the shortcut for Sim2 it starts. I go to menu quit and then run RCT3 and it's fine, quit and go back to desktop. Click on BF2 shortcut and it looks like it's launching but nothing happens?

So i uninstall BF2 demo and re-install the demo, leaving out gamespy arcade and when it's finsihed I reboot again...

After seemingly the millionth restart, I launch BF2 icon and blue screen error? Arghhhhh :eek: :mad: Bloody windows.

Why is it just playing up. So I unistall BF2 again and check The Movies. That boots up without a hitch?

I cant be bothered to re-install windows but as soon as I've finished testing HL2 i'm getting rid of the bloody thing. (windows not my macbook)

What's causing the blue screen problems i'm not sure. A corrupt driver, a fecked up system file? Crappyness of windows XP?

I'll post one more update when HL2 is up and running adn then I'm getting rid of windows.

iHeartTheApple
May 27, 2006, 01:13 PM
OK wierd thing just happened. Battery fully charged, boot up windows and the windows auto updater starts.

After its updated it asks to reboot. It reboots and I get a blue screen message?

So i hold down power button and then I reboot again and it starts.

Everything seemed fine except now eject key doesnt work anymore, so I unistall the apple drivers and reboot. Re-install the apple drivers and then reboot again.

God I hope they can stop all the rebooting with Vista.

So i'm back up and running. I click on the shortcut for Sim2 it starts. I go to menu quit and then run RCT3 and it's fine, quit and go back to desktop. Click on BF2 shortcut and it looks like it's launching but nothing happens?

So i uninstall BF2 demo and re-install the demo, leaving out gamespy arcade and when it's finsihed I reboot again...

After seemingly the millionth restart, I launch BF2 icon and blue screen error? Arghhhhh :eek: :mad: Bloody windows.

Why is it just playing up. So I unistall BF2 again and check The Movies. That boots up without a hitch?

I cant be bothered to re-install windows but as soon as I've finished testing HL2 i'm getting rid of the bloody thing. (windows not my macbook)

What's causing the blue screen problems i'm not sure. A corrupt driver, a fecked up system file? Crappyness of windows XP?

I'll post one more update when HL2 is up and running adn then I'm getting rid of windows.

Ouch! :eek: What a pain. I do want to thank you though for all the hard work you're doing to produce some *realworld* data that the MB can, in fact, play games. I'm sure it won't go unnoticed. As I said before, I will be trying to do similar tests on my MB once I get all the games installed.

I'm in the same situation as you. I don't *need* to play games on the MB...I just got it and wanted to try it out. I've got a 20" iMac Duo w/256MB vRAM coming in the mail and that will be my gaming workhorse. I just think it's necessary to help out some of the people who are curious about gaming on this beautiful little computer.

Will it be ideal? No. Will you be able to play all games at high settings? No. Will there be games it won't play at all? Yes. But the bottom line is that it has been shown quite conclusively that the MB has the ability to play games.

Dont_Hurt_Me:
If you don't have an MB and you don't have any experience playing games on your MB, then please for the sake of people actually interested, do not come and toss out claims regarding the performance of this machine based on benchmarks that you read about while surfing the web. Everyone knows that integrated graphics is a far cry from dedicated graphics in terms of performance and ability. The point is that a lot of people can't afford to buy an MBP, iMac, or PowerMac, and as such, need to make due with what they have.

Most of those people are also probably not worried about being able to play the latest/greatest game on high settings. They use their computers for work, play, and ever so often, they might have the urge to do a little "shoot 'em up" or role playing. We are just trying to give the facts to those people who are in the market for a MB and have the desire to play the odd game every once in while. As I said in previous posts, Wyrmintheapple's gaming review is what pushed me over the edge to go out and finally buy my MB. I saw, with my own eyes, games that I am interested in playing (and most others too, for example WoW) running on his MB at very reasonable frame rates with very reasonable settings.

Anyway, no need for all this bickering, etc. If you're interested in the MB gaming abilities, then this seems to be the place to learn more. Thanks again to MacRumorUser and the others for all your hard work in testing. :)

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2006, 06:21 PM
After a lot of hassles getting my macbook in shape and finally finished installing HL2 here is my experience and settings of what I can play at

1 - resolution 1024x768
2 - Specific settings which were recommended for my system

Model Detail : High
Texture Detail : High
Shader Detail : High
Water detail : Simple Reflection
Shadow Detail ; High

Antialiasing : None
Filtering Mode : trilinear
Waiting for vertical sync : disabled

hardware directx level : v.8.1
software directx level : v.9

Whilst there's a little stutter as you move into new areas and the game loads into memory, the game seems to hover just over 20 fps with dips and stutters here and there.

I tried to get the proper console by pressing tild but nothing came up. Anyone give me a header as to how to load console so I can get proper benchmark.

By dropping all those settings to medium and low with shader and shadow the game was much smoother, definetly over 30 with less hidcups.

It looks very impressive generally and yes more importantly it's playable.

However I have found a problem, while playing the game and getting to new sections as it loads it sometimes quits on me? Not sure why.

x86
May 27, 2006, 06:29 PM
To enable the console goto:
Options->Keyboard->Advanced->Enable Console.

To display frames per second type cl_showfps 1 in the console. cl_showfps 0 shuts the counter off.

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2006, 06:55 PM
To enable the console goto:
Options->Keyboard->Advanced->Enable Console.

To display frames per second type cl_showfps 1 in the console.

thanks I've just done that.

On menu - 27-29fps (not much use but there you go)

So new game : point insertion
gordon freemans face intro - highest = 43 - lowest = 10

train and intro train station
lowest = 9fps (on the train at the start)
highest (walk close to walls) = 55fps
average walking around - 20-26 fps
average while interacting with npc's = 30fps

It's lowest on the train, when you get off frame rate increases to the average
Thats with those settings on high and at 1024 x 768

HOWEVER It still crashes on me when it loads new sections though. :confused:

----------

Same test with settings on medium and low where medium isnt an option
trilinear filtering and 1024x768

Start the game again.

Gordons intro :- highest = 43 lowest = 10 ????

On train station section

lowest = 13fps
highest = 105 near a wall? in the section when you stack up crates to jump out window
average walking = 25-30
average talking to npc = 36-42 in green

Weird - results nearly the same. It actually looked very good on medium too, but less defined.

It still crashed when reaching new checkpoints?
So apart from the crashing, which is a pain - it runs well on the macbook.

The crashing I think could be residual feck up of the drivers or system problems as mentioned earlier...

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2006, 07:13 PM
Just playing through second section - leave train station and walk to building stairs and it averages 32 begging of stage, drops to 24 as you first go outside and then section jumps up to 60 (always in green) on those medium settings.

Still crashed though when getting to checkpoint???

Well that's my testing done and dusted. If you dont like the results test it yourselves. Those are my results and as I originally posted - playing games on the macbook is perfectly possible, and it's not the end of the world or a complete no-no because it has a gma950

Yes you get better results on a dedicated GPU, but hell those are alot better results than people have been throwing around and claiming.

My halflife 2 bench results are there if you like them or not, or choose to deny them and carry on saying the macbook cant play games. I know it can because I've just done it, dont like it that's fine i cant be bothered anymore after the crap of downloading steam, trouble with drivers and blue screen errors i've had today, i'm gonna say goodbye windows partition - i'm thoroughly sick of you XP, and i'm not going to miss you....

x86
May 27, 2006, 07:16 PM
Wow, the results are very similar to what I get on my PC with a GeForce 4 Ti4200. It isn't horrible, but then again it's nearly five years old...

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2006, 07:23 PM
Wow, the results are very similar to what I get on my PC with a GeForce 4 Ti4200. It isn't horrible, but then again it's nearly five years old...

The point being - it's playable and looks good and not the end of the world.

The GMA950 supports things like Shader model 2 which the card Ti4200 in your pc doesnt. It plays the games i've tested, to the point that none of the games tested suffered such bad perfomance I couldnt play.

The macbook isn't the greatest games laptop available and yes the integrated isnt the first choice, but it works, it doesnt automatically rule out gaming as some of the posters on this forum seem to think.

Yes serious gamers looking for every little frame per second and highest settings always - look elsewhere, but for casual users who may want the occasional game it seems grand.

Capt Underpants
May 27, 2006, 09:03 PM
Well I give you mad props for playing half-life 2 at 20-25 FPS...

In CS:S, I need 35 when I'm sniping, and 30 for other guns for it to be playable.

MacRumorUser
May 28, 2006, 04:54 AM
Well I give you mad props for playing half-life 2 at 20-25 FPS...

In CS:S, I need 35 when I'm sniping, and 30 for other guns for it to be playable.

That's fair enough, but

That was on high settings.

Could have been avereage of 30 on medium.

Maintaining over 20 felt surprisingly smooth though, it was more playable than the xbox version.

But no matter what the results were, you cant please everybody.

However last word..

My tests prove that the macbook can play games, where some folk were ruling it out entirely, but I was never going to silence those because that chip on their shoulder :) :) :)

iHeartTheApple
May 28, 2006, 11:06 AM
I just thought of this question. I agree that it's a bit random, but...

If you were to attach the MB to a 20" or 23" ACD (or a similar Dell version) to play games and you ran at, for example, 1280x800, would you find the *same* frame rates that we've been seeing on the MB screen at that resolution? Or does simply being connected to an external monitor slow frame rates? I would imagine that playing at 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 would make it near on unbearable, but I'm not sure. Any input?

I apologize if I'm terribly off-topic or guilty of thread-jacking...:(

skipsandwichdx
May 28, 2006, 09:28 PM
Yeah, rendering the extra pixels would drop the frame rate.

eXan
May 28, 2006, 10:35 PM
Yeah, rendering the extra pixels would drop the frame rate.

If the resolution is the same (e.g. 1024x768), it doesnt matter how big your display is, or which is the native res...

skipsandwichdx
May 28, 2006, 11:38 PM
If the resolution is the same (e.g. 1024x768), it doesnt matter how big your display is, or which is the native res...
Yeah, but that's not what he asked.

Capt Underpants
May 29, 2006, 12:55 AM
Yeah, but that's not what he asked.

Actually, that is what he asked.

wako
May 29, 2006, 01:50 AM
can you try playing CS:S?

CS:S is actually alot more graphic intensive on some maps...

can you try out prodigy at the long halls next to CT spawn with all the lighting?

eXan
May 29, 2006, 02:29 AM
can you try playing CS:S?

CS:S is actually alot more graphic intensive on some maps...

can you try out prodigy at the long halls next to CT spawn with all the lighting?

I think the OP has already cleaned his MB from Win, so he cannot perform those tests for you... ;)

MacRumorUser
May 29, 2006, 05:23 AM
I think the OP has already cleaned his MB from Win, so he cannot perform those tests for you... ;)

Sorry, Windows is gone :)

I was having a number of blue screen and general crashes since windows did an auto update on me and screwed up some system files/drivers : so I finished the halflife2 benchmark test and gave up and ditched windows.....

I'm sure someone else will post more results (I hope). I could try it on my imac as that still has windows on a small partition, but that wouldnt be very useful to you.

Willehard
Jun 3, 2006, 09:08 AM
What of Oblivion? Anyone tried that yet?

(Thinking about getting a MacBook)

me_94501
Jun 3, 2006, 11:18 AM

As a casual gamer, so long as it's an incremental improvement over my iBook and its Radeon Mobility 9200 I'd be perfectly happy.

AlexanderOnline
Jun 3, 2006, 05:00 PM
Very intresting topic. I have a macbook (1,83 ghz, 80 gb, 1 gb) and installed XP with bootcamp, beveause sometimes i want to play CS: Source with friends. I know that an integrated card is not a gaming card, but i expected far more (also because the macbook has dual core, dual channel and ddr2) then wat i experienced.
Just walking trough de_dust alone, my fps is ~7! That's really horrible, my settings are 800x600 and the other settings low. The strange thing is, is that i can only start CS:S when i set the direct X level to 7.0 . When i do 8.1, or 9.0, the CS:S menu after startup is black and i can't see anything. Even at dx 6.0 it's still 7 fps. I tried with this config: http://www.immolate.nl/index.php?site=files&file=1 although everything looked less nice, my fps is still at ~7 . I've installed the latest graphic drivers, and checked the configuration of it. Dx is also up to date.
Another strange thing, in 3d mark2001se the score is ~6k. I had a pc a few months ago, with an AMD athlon xp 2200+ and a Gf4mx440se, with an score of ~3-4k in 3dmark. And with that card, it played cs:s and hl2 smooth at 800x600 medium.
Mayby it has something to do with T&L, wich the intel integrated hasn't. I googled and found the program " 3D Analyzer" that can emulate T&L, you have to select the .exe, choose the settings and press run. But the problem is, CS:S is started by steam.exe -applaunch 240, and selecting hl2.exe doesn't work beceause you can't start the game by just launching hl2.exe (i don't have hl2 installed, only CS:s, but there is a hl2.exe in the steam folder).
I'm dissapointed abot this very bad performance, i really expected better. Mayby someone knows a solution, or how to emulate t&L (if that is the prob) on cs:s?
(iew, after i read my post i knew why i had such a low mark for my English grammar test at school last week :x )

MacRumorUser
Jun 3, 2006, 05:55 PM
Out of interest, why does Counter Strike Source run different to HalfLife 2?
Like i posted I got 25 fps average at High 1024x768 and over 30fps average at Medium 1024x768 on HalfLife 2 on my macbook.

Your experience of CS is totally different to mine of HalfLife 2.

Is it because it's online? Graphically it isnt pushing anything different to HalfLife 2 so there must be an additional thing? The graphics engines are the same so ????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Very intresting topic. I have a macbook (1,83 ghz, 80 gb, 1 gb) and installed XP with bootcamp, beveause sometimes i want to play CS: Source with friends. I know that an integrated card is not a gaming card, but i expected far more (also because the macbook has dual core, dual channel and ddr2) then wat i experienced.
Just walking trough de_dust alone, my fps is ~7! That's really horrible, my settings are 800x600 and the other settings low. The strange thing is, is that i can only start CS:S when i set the direct X level to 7.0 . When i do 8.1, or 9.0, the CS:S menu after startup is black and i can't see anything. Even at dx 6.0 it's still 7 fps. I tried with this config: http://www.immolate.nl/index.php?site=files&file=1 although everything looked less nice, my fps is still at ~7 . I've installed the latest graphic drivers, and checked the configuration of it. Dx is also up to date.
Another strange thing, in 3d mark2001se the score is ~6k. I had a pc a few months ago, with an AMD athlon xp 2200+ and a Gf4mx440se, with an score of ~3-4k in 3dmark. And with that card, it played cs:s and hl2 smooth at 800x600 medium.
Mayby it has something to do with T&L, wich the intel integrated hasn't. I googled and found the program " 3D Analyzer" that can emulate T&L, you have to select the .exe, choose the settings and press run. But the problem is, CS:S is started by steam.exe -applaunch 240, and selecting hl2.exe doesn't work beceause you can't start the game by just launching hl2.exe (i don't have hl2 installed, only CS:s, but there is a hl2.exe in the steam folder).
I'm dissapointed abot this very bad performance, i really expected better. Mayby someone knows a solution, or how to emulate t&L (if that is the prob) on cs:s?
(iew, after i read my post i knew why i had such a low mark for my English grammar test at school last week :x )

AlexanderOnline
Jun 4, 2006, 03:06 AM
I don't know exactly why, but on another forum there was someone with a mac mini with around 20fps in hl2 and 7 in cs:s . i just played de_dust alone, but i don't know why it's heavier. In de_dust in that place in the middle (i don't know how to describe it, it has a round roof and there are 4 ways to it) there i have 15-20 fps, but on all other places 7-9 fps.

netdog
Jun 4, 2006, 03:35 AM
While obviously nowhere near the top graphics cards, it is interesting to see that the 950 is not as bad as many feared in real world applications.

AlexanderOnline
Jun 4, 2006, 10:53 AM
Today i spend a few hours googling and trying to get normal fps in CS:S, but no result. I tried everything in the config file, but it didn't boost the fps. If i play with 1280x800 low or 640x40 low, it doesn't matter at all, the fps is still ~7 fps! Really horrible.
I spend a lot of time with the tool 3D Analyzer wich kan emulate T&L and tune other settings. I tried different versions, i tried an older version (wich is often used in the hl2 tweaking guides) on hl2.exe, and i tried both older and new versions on a .bat file (that starts CS:S with hl2.exe -applaunch 240 -game ... etc), but with these options the game won't start (and hl2.exe crashes). I have really no idea anymore what to do. In the video stress test (before i played a game, that's strange enough depending), my results are a lot better.
I hope someone know a solution.... :confused: :(

MacRumorUser
Jun 4, 2006, 11:29 AM
Today i spend a few hours googling and trying to get normal fps in CS:S, but no result. I tried everything in the config file, but it didn't boost the fps. If i play with 1280x800 low or 640x40 low, it doesn't matter at all, the fps is still ~7 fps! Really horrible.
I spend a lot of time with the tool 3D Analyzer wich kan emulate T&L and tune other settings. I tried different versions, i tried an older version (wich is often used in the hl2 tweaking guides) on hl2.exe, and i tried both older and new versions on a .bat file (that starts CS:S with hl2.exe -applaunch 240 -game ... etc), but with these options the game won't start (and hl2.exe crashes). I have really no idea anymore what to do. In the video stress test (before i played a game, that's strange enough depending), my results are a lot better.
I hope someone know a solution.... :confused: :(

The fact that resolution and graphics options didnt make a difference means there must be another reason for this discrepancy... interesting but annoying and confusng??

AlexanderOnline
Jun 4, 2006, 01:56 PM
Mayby it's just a cpu speed limitation. It seems to be that the card doesn't have T&L hardware support, and also no vertex support (most games uses both), so the cpu has to do all that work. Mayby that explains why the fps speed doesn't change at different resolutions.
I hoped that the 3D analyzer tool would helped but its a pitty that i can't get it worked on CS:S (while it seems to work on HL2 on the internet i see, but i don't have enough space on the bootcamp partition to test hl2)

macmadandproud
Jun 4, 2006, 04:33 PM
Well, a litle off topic though it may be, I just wanted to pass along two games that I play on my macbook (2 gigs RAM) that run PERFECTLY-- Rise of Nations and Warcraft III.

I am really excited about Warcraft III. I never got a chance to play it when it was new (actually, my mac at the time couldn't handle it) and now it runs like a dream at native 1280x800... Just wanted to pass that along.

Jay

jaxstate
Jun 4, 2006, 06:14 PM
Warcraft III plays well on my iMac G4 800Mhz.

wyrmintheapple
Jun 5, 2006, 10:00 AM

I posted a video of my MacBook running UT2k4, WoW etc in Mac OS X, plus some rosetta stuff, and a coupl of BootCamp items (Need for speed... etc).

You lot are so busy making up new FUD threads that ones with anything meaningful get lost.

lewion
Jun 5, 2006, 01:37 PM
I posted a video of my MacBook running UT2k4, WoW etc in Mac OS X, plus some rosetta stuff, and a coupl of BootCamp items (Need for speed... etc).

You lot are so busy making up new FUD threads that ones with anything meaningful get lost.
Where is video ? :)

AlexanderOnline
Jun 6, 2006, 10:00 AM
Okay, this is really funny. yesterday i went to a friend with my MacBook, to play a few games together. He was playing CS:S with his brother, so i joined the game. They were playing fy_pool... and i played at 1280x800 low. I expected again 7 fps, but in that map i played with 40-100 fps! We played other maps online, fy_simpsons, fy_iceworld etc, and also high fps! But we tried de_dust, and again 7 fps. Mayby it has something to do with that de_dust is a complexer map? HDR effects are off, but i know that they " remaked" de_dust for CS:S. Strange but fun for me :D
I also played C&C Generals on Windows, i could play it well at 1024x786 low (i think 800x600 high should run well too).

chris200x9
Jun 6, 2006, 01:36 PM
I'm a PC user eargerly waiting to switch over to my first mac.....macbooks sound sooooooo good even tho no dedicated graphics....my PC runs at like a frame every other second :eek:

*pity me* lol :D

Schrodinger
Jun 8, 2006, 02:36 AM
Also installled and run without any problems (with settings on high - again to clafify the anal retentive in the audience, these were its own suggested settings when first run), 'THE MOVIES' but I cant post framerates for that either as i dont know how for a start.

MRU, I'm trying to decide between a mac book and a iMac. Right now, the main sticking point is whether or not I would be able to run "The Movies" well for the Machinema features.

I guess you've since erased windows from your machine, but can you recall any details on what settings you were able to run it at, and how smooth the footage looked? I don't need the exact FPS, I just need to know if I can do things like day/night lighting effects and handle the animations smoothly.

Bern
Jun 8, 2006, 04:51 AM
Contary to the miss spread belief going on in the forums.

The macbook (got mine yesterday) plays games well. and most of the time very well.

Running in bootcamp,

Sims 2 + couple of expansions. Also run with HIGH settings at 1024x768 with NO PROBLEMS or STUTTER ....

Sorry to chime in so late here, but I have the Mac version of Sims 2 plus both EP's do you think they will run well on a 1.83 MacBook with 2gig of ram or would I be better off with the PC versions?

MacRumorUser
Jun 8, 2006, 05:36 AM
Sorry to chime in so late here, but I have the Mac version of Sims 2 plus both EP's do you think they will run well on a 1.83 MacBook with 2gig of ram or would I be better off with the PC versions?

couldnt say simply because I dont have the mac versions.

I know they are universal now, but open gl and drivers are more robust with the GMA950 in windows than on Mac OSX so ????

All you can do is try. If you have the mac versions use them, you don't want to have to go out and buy the pc versions if the mac runs ok.

steelfist
Jun 8, 2006, 06:31 AM
how does it work with nevewinter nights and warcraft III?

i'm tired of playing neverwinter nights with all options off and lowest settings for everything to play smoothly on my ibook.

AlexanderOnline
Jun 8, 2006, 08:57 AM
I tried the mac version of Sims 2 last week, its horrible. On the lowest settings not playable, but as the others said, on windows it will run much better. Also RCT3 runs badly on mac, but i think better on Windows

Stridder44
Jun 8, 2006, 09:20 AM
Wow! Awesome thank you for starting this thread! Anyone else can confirm that WoW (world of warcraft) runs well?

MacRumorUser
Jun 8, 2006, 10:14 AM
I tried the mac version of Sims 2 last week, its horrible. On the lowest settings not playable, but as the others said, on windows it will run much better. Also RCT3 runs badly on mac, but i think better on Windows

Yep I can 100% confirm RCT3 works great on my macbook via pc & bootcamp. (notice how we refer to bootcamp rather than that stinky xp :D )

It auto detected everything at high and ran very well.

On the mac...

It's a very bad port from Aspyr on mac, look at the water in comparison to a pc, it looks like Jelly... :rolleyes: and as one of their newer titles a universal update shouldnt be taking this long....

iHeartTheApple
Jun 8, 2006, 11:18 AM
Wow! Awesome thank you for starting this thread! Anyone else can confirm that WoW (world of warcraft) runs well?

Check out my threads...I have one covering WoW on my stock MacBook (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=204543) and a new one on the performance of WoW after upgrading to 2GB RAM and a 7200RPM hdd (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207176). :)

chairguru22
Jun 9, 2006, 06:01 PM
if you have 2GB of RAM and a 2.0GHz CoreDuo then the games mentioned will be able to be played smoothly at certain settings. A LOT of RAM really helps and the CoreDuo is just as fast as 2.4GHz P4s. so the games can run smoothly... the question is what graphics capabilities can be rendered.

DirectX9 is probably a no since a compatible graphics card is needed and the MacBook integrated graphics might not support it. you can get HL2 or COD2 to run in DX7 with 50FPS on a lower resolution on any 'current' machine really...

Legacy
Jun 9, 2006, 07:00 PM
Confimed, Age of the Empires 3 runs like hell on this thing - on the highest setting its excellent!:p (Running in XP)

eXan
Jun 10, 2006, 06:45 AM
2GHz yonah smoke a 2.4 p4

True

chairguru22
Jun 10, 2006, 12:25 PM
are you on crack, a 2GHz yonah equals a 2.2GHz X2 in some things and would smoke a 2.4 p4, it's more equal to a 3.2GHz pentium D.

haha yea i mustve been. but it further proves my point, i can play those games on a 2.4 p4 so therefore a 2GHz yonah will be a more than capable cpu.

iHeartTheApple
Jun 10, 2006, 01:22 PM
Confimed, Age of the Empires 3 runs like hell on this thing - on the highest setting its excellent!:p (Running in XP)

Just want to be clear on this statement...:confused: Do you mean it plays well on the macbook in windows? I'm not being sarcastic, it's just when I say something "runs like hell," it means it's running terribly...:o Thanks!

MacRumorUser
Jun 10, 2006, 04:29 PM
Just want to be clear on this statement...:confused: Do you mean it plays well on the macbook in windows? I'm not being sarcastic, it's just when I say something "runs like hell," it means it's running terribly...:o Thanks!

I assume he means it runs very well.

7on
Jun 12, 2006, 09:34 PM
Anyone solve that crashing bug? I don't want to buy HL2 and not be able to make it past the first checkpoint

charlyelamo
Jun 15, 2006, 02:13 PM
What about Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Any body can please tell me if that game works... I love it to death and it would be awesome to beeing able to play it via bootcamp

Thanks in advance

lewion
Jun 15, 2006, 02:24 PM
What about Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Any body can please tell me if that game works... I love it to death and it would be awesome to beeing able to play it via bootcamp

Thanks in advance
look at my thread, it will probably easily get at least 60 fps in bootcamp! Just look how fast hl2 is on that thing, and 'im talking bout the macbook! not the pro!

MacRumorUser
Jun 15, 2006, 03:22 PM
Anyone solve that crashing bug? I don't want to buy HL2 and not be able to make it past the first checkpoint

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=398&p_created=1127578065&p_sid=-cQy18ai&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yNzImcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N 2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=397&p_created=1127526153&p_sid=-cQy18ai&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTc2JnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZ wX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Y3Jhc2hpbmcgdG8gZGV za3RvcCBvbiBsb2FkaW5n&p_li=&p_topview=1

Dont know if these solutions have solved the problem, I'll try when my nw macbook replacement arrives.

minkis
Jun 15, 2006, 10:24 PM
did you ever get bf2 to start working again

i'm really interested to know

MacRumorUser
Jun 16, 2006, 04:22 AM
did you ever get bf2 to start working again

i'm really interested to know

Nah after the issues I had i uninstalled windows via bootcamp. However subsequently my macbook has had to be replaced so dont have one at the moment.

Gabedm
Jun 17, 2006, 01:44 AM

I am having this EXACT same problem with cs:s, is this the only solution to this problem with the black screen and is everyone having this problem cause if not what did i do wrong lol
thanks

acircularmotive
Jul 14, 2006, 03:07 PM
Exactly the same problem here, and after extended periods of time trying to find a fix, I haven't. It seems odd that Counter Strike: Source doesnt run in DirectX 9, yet Half Life 2 does.. considering they run on the same engine.

Also very irritating that I can't get Battlefield 2 to run either.. displaying the splash screen, followed by a black screen and then the desktop.

*goes back to hibernate in his cave*

otis123
Jul 15, 2006, 02:03 AM
if the macbook can run oblivion i will drop kick my ibook, but i have a 360 so why would i drop kick my favorite thing? POWER PC FOR LIFE! peace out

acircularmotive
Jul 15, 2006, 06:18 AM
if the macbook can run oblivion i will drop kick my ibook, but i have a 360 so why would i drop kick my favorite thing? POWER PC FOR LIFE! peace out

Such a pointful message. :rolleyes:

Mord
Jul 15, 2006, 06:51 AM
i'd take you up on that bar the fact that i'm running vista atm and i cant be bothered to go back to SP2

Barham
Jul 15, 2006, 08:57 AM
Ok, this debate can go on and will go on forever on these forums. There are certain people that demand a higher standard when playing games. Personally, I cannot bring myself to play a game that does not run in native resolution on an LCD monitor. I would rather take the framerate hit that often comes along with playing at native res. As soon as the LCD starts emulating resolution, the picture becomes extremely blurry and soft around all edges. It looks like I'm playing through the bottom of a coke bottle.

So, when people start listing adjusted resolutions on LCD based computers, I get skeptical. It's an area where I simply cannot sacrifice.

JackSYi
Jul 27, 2006, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know how to solve the crashing issue when saving on HL2?

freelancer874
Aug 15, 2006, 11:45 AM
Okay So I have a slight problem. Actually its a HUGE problem. I got a MacBook with every intention of loving my OS X. And I do. However, I want to play counter strike source with my friends. So I got Windows Xp and bootcamp and installed everything. I downloaded Steam. and then proceeded to download CS:S. However -when I went to launch - the screen goes black and while i can run my mouse over the buttons (that I cant see) I can't do anything else because obviously the screen is dark. How can I fix this? Apparenly everyone else has gotten their versions of CS:S to work but not me!! I MUST fix this!

PLEASE HELP ME!!
Thanks!

macbug
Aug 20, 2006, 04:22 PM
Set half life 2 and counter strike to lauch with Direct x 7 ( fixes black screen )
and turn off auto save in half life 2 ( stops half life 2 from crashing )

Search google, you'll find the settings

TheSalmonThief
Aug 20, 2006, 11:34 PM
Good to hear, I haven't even tried playing games on my MacBook Pro yet :rolleyes:

Diplomat90210
Aug 21, 2006, 11:27 AM
Eh this is kinda an old thread, but I need help. Thanks by the way for all the info you guys posted, this thread is awsome.

I'll be getting my MacBook (1.83ghz. 1GB ram, 60GB hard drive) soon, and Im wondering how it will run older games with the above settings. Games I will most likely be running are:
Call of Duty 1
Star Wars Republic Commando
Star Wars KOTOR 1(Maybe KOTOR 2?)
Warcraft III
LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth 1

I dont expect to use very high settings for most of these games (BFME, Star Wars RC, KOTOR), but should I be ok with most of these games?

MacRumorUser
Aug 21, 2006, 11:51 AM
Eh this is kinda an old thread, but I need help. Thanks by the way for all the info you guys posted, this thread is awsome.

I'll be getting my MacBook (1.83ghz. 1GB ram, 60GB hard drive) soon, and Im wondering how it will run older games with the above settings. Games I will most likely be running are:
Call of Duty 1
Warcraft III

I dont expect to use very high settings for most of these games (BFME, Star Wars RC, KOTOR), but should I be ok with most of these games?

Not 100% sure, all i can say is check the minimum requirements and if you meet them you will be grand.

With the GMA950 chipset, try to run memory in dual configuration for a boost in peformance of a few frames (coluld mean the difference between smooth and choppy frame-rate) and try to get as much as you can. Preferably 2gb, but 1gb as (2x 512mb) should be ok too.

512mb of ram is poo these days.

Diplomat90210
Aug 21, 2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks, for the time being though I will only have 1gb of RAM, and I will for quite some time. Thanks for the info.

freelancer874
Aug 21, 2006, 08:26 PM
Macbug---
It worked! Thank you thank you thank you. You have just made my life a better place. Words cannot express my gratitude - many thanks! :D

dilemmaguy
Apr 7, 2007, 04:16 PM
Hey MacRumorUser, I was wondering how much mb of shared video memory U used 2 played all those games so smoothly.
Cause im going into college,n i might goin 2 buy a macbook black next month.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/cool.gif
:cool:
After reading yor comment on those games i was bit relief tat macbook still can handle some games.And if i later try max out d video memory till 224mb,do u think my gaming experience will be much better?http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif
:confused:
And is my 1st time buying a MAC...coz im lovin it after doing some research n comparing.
http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/blackapple.gif
:apple:

urista
Apr 8, 2007, 01:19 AM
hello. from reading the posts before i understand that sims 2 ran better than halflife 2? is this correct? or did they run about the same on their best performance settings. thank you.

and for people wondering about sims 2 mac version (played on a macbook). it is playable but barely and it gets frustrating after a while because of the laggyness so i wouldn't recommend it. i have a blackbook with 2gb of memory.

mistyz23
Apr 8, 2007, 03:06 AM

WoW runs as smooth as butter on my MBP. My husband is insanely jealous. I even increased all of the settings to max and it doesn't hesitate. Very very pleasantly surprised. :D

EDIT: Dang. I really should have read the date and realized this was a thread dredged up from the past. Sorry guys!

stujohnson
Apr 21, 2007, 05:38 PM
Too many people say that HL2 will run ok on a macbook.

It doesn't

The demo ran fine, (plus 25fps) in almost all areas (except for when there's the gas fire), but the rest of the game generally runs poorly...very poorly. I own it and I've played through most of the game on my macbook. It commonly drops to extremely low fps, like under 5fps. There are many many areas where the game runs just fine, and just as many areas where it is completely unplayable.
I've tweaked the crap out of it too...no better

macbook, core 2 duo 2.0ghz, 1gb ram

lee3033
Apr 26, 2007, 07:02 PM
ive got a 2.0 c2d macbook (not pro) and having problems with 'black screen' or 'blank screen' issues with games!

reading messages in here im convinced it must be a problem with direct x 9 compatablity with the intel gma950 graphics in the macbook, and people have had similar 'black screen' issues with cs:s, and have been advised to use direct x 7, im just wondering how i can now run games using direct x 7 (or maybe 8, i just want to try different versions to the 1 i am currently running 9.0C) ,also does direct x 7 work in xp? - ive read that its for 98/ME users :confused:

by the way i have also seen other problems aswell as black screen issues - line strafe from objects in games - e.g. in the game i have been experiencing both thses problems (panzer elite dunes of war) when the screen goes blank i can click around and get the game to load - which runs - except some menu items missing - such as tank health monitor + gun crosshairs, but also when looking at trees lines of graphics shoot out from them :rolleyes: kinda hard to explain, but im sure its a driver issues - i have seen this before on other pc's and a updated graphics driver has sorted this

anyway, kind-of confusing, long post but help plz! any questions?

-macbook 2.0Ghz core 2 duo
-game: panzer elite dunes of war
-directx: 9.0C

blueflame
Apr 27, 2007, 03:27 AM
I know this is somewhat old, but, am I going crazy? how can you run this on the macbook? the requirements specifically state it requires hardware T&L. if I am not mistaken, it is the ONE nessicary thing the GM950 is missing. any help? I love age of empires, I just do not think it is gonna work
Andreas

fireball jones
Apr 27, 2007, 05:06 PM
I know this is somewhat old, but, am I going crazy? how can you run this on the macbook? the requirements specifically state it requires hardware T&L. if I am not mistaken, it is the ONE nessicary thing the GM950 is missing. any help? I love age of empires, I just do not think it is gonna work
Andreas

I ran the demo fine in OSX, I suspect, like many games, i does not require T&L so much as use it for certain graphical features that we just don't get.

eXan
Apr 27, 2007, 10:04 PM

Call of Duty 1
Warcraft III

Not sure about the rest of the games, but I tryed KOTOR2 on my MacBook via CrossOver and via Bootcamp and it has issues. Well, in CrossOver it launches and works, but you cant move the mouse. I mean you can still click with it, you can rotate the camera around you when holding the rightmouse button, you just cant move the cursor, which makes the game unplayable (cant move mouse even to load a game - just to start a new one ;))

While in Bootcamp with WinXP the games doesnt work. The menu launches, you can even change setting, create a new character etc, but when you load a level, the game crashes. I've read that it is because GMA950 doesnt have hardware T&L that the game requires to run, but WHY DOES IT RUN IN CROSSOVER??!?!?!?!? :mad:

As for Kotor1, its not universal, so it would run like crap, if run at all (see K2). Dont have the windows version to test it in Win.

Does anybody know how to make KOTOR2 run in Windows? :o

wyrmintheapple
Apr 28, 2007, 01:09 AM
I posted a vid of games on a macbook ages ago, I'll try to put it on youtube or something. It does play some games pretty good.

I would however regard the OP's post with some trepidation as BF2 does not seem to start on a GMA950, on a Macbook or similar PC..... In fact, It is widely known not to run on ANY GMA950, Windoze laptops have the same issue. Since he is playing a game on his Macbook that can't possibly run on a Macbook, I'd rate this as a bag o' crap till we see a video or somethin.

fireball jones
Apr 28, 2007, 09:18 AM
Tried out WoW BC today (10 free trial), plays about the same as my G4 mini, but I can turn up the terrain distance a few notches. Granted, my mini has the 1.2 ghz processor. They both have 1 GB of RAM.

Not really worth playing on it, but then again, after 20 minutes of it, I remembered why I quit in the first place :rolleyes: