Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexanderOnline

macrumors member
May 25, 2006
I tried the mac version of Sims 2 last week, its horrible. On the lowest settings not playable, but as the others said, on windows it will run much better. Also RCT3 runs badly on mac, but i think better on Windows

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
AlexanderOnline said:
I tried the mac version of Sims 2 last week, its horrible. On the lowest settings not playable, but as the others said, on windows it will run much better. Also RCT3 runs badly on mac, but i think better on Windows

Yep I can 100% confirm RCT3 works great on my macbook via pc & bootcamp. (notice how we refer to bootcamp rather than that stinky xp :D )

It auto detected everything at high and ran very well.

On the mac...

It's a very bad port from Aspyr on mac, look at the water in comparison to a pc, it looks like Jelly... :rolleyes: and as one of their newer titles a universal update shouldnt be taking this long....

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
if you have 2GB of RAM and a 2.0GHz CoreDuo then the games mentioned will be able to be played smoothly at certain settings. A LOT of RAM really helps and the CoreDuo is just as fast as 2.4GHz P4s. so the games can run smoothly... the question is what graphics capabilities can be rendered.

DirectX9 is probably a no since a compatible graphics card is needed and the MacBook integrated graphics might not support it. you can get HL2 or COD2 to run in DX7 with 50FPS on a lower resolution on any 'current' machine really...

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2005
London
Confimed, Age of the Empires 3 runs like hell on this thing - on the highest setting its excellent!:p (Running in XP)

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
Hector said:
are you on crack, a 2GHz yonah equals a 2.2GHz X2 in some things and would smoke a 2.4 p4, it's more equal to a 3.2GHz pentium D.

haha yea i mustve been. but it further proves my point, i can play those games on a 2.4 p4 so therefore a 2GHz yonah will be a more than capable cpu.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
Legacy said:
Confimed, Age of the Empires 3 runs like hell on this thing - on the highest setting its excellent!:p (Running in XP)

Just want to be clear on this statement...:confused: Do you mean it plays well on the macbook in windows? I'm not being sarcastic, it's just when I say something "runs like hell," it means it's running terribly...:eek: Thanks!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
iHeartTheApple said:
Just want to be clear on this statement...:confused: Do you mean it plays well on the macbook in windows? I'm not being sarcastic, it's just when I say something "runs like hell," it means it's running terribly...:eek: Thanks!

I assume he means it runs very well.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Anyone solve that crashing bug? I don't want to buy HL2 and not be able to make it past the first checkpoint

charlyelamo

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2005
What about Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Any body can please tell me if that game works... I love it to death and it would be awesome to beeing able to play it via bootcamp

Thanks in advance

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
charlyelamo said:
What about Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Any body can please tell me if that game works... I love it to death and it would be awesome to beeing able to play it via bootcamp

Thanks in advance
look at my thread, it will probably easily get at least 60 fps in bootcamp! Just look how fast hl2 is on that thing, and 'im talking bout the macbook! not the pro!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
minkis said:
did you ever get bf2 to start working again

i'm really interested to know

Nah after the issues I had i uninstalled windows via bootcamp. However subsequently my macbook has had to be replaced so dont have one at the moment.

Gabedm

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2006
AlexanderOnline said:
Very intresting topic. I have a macbook (1,83 ghz, 80 gb, 1 gb) and installed XP with bootcamp, beveause sometimes i want to play CS: Source with friends. I know that an integrated card is not a gaming card, but i expected far more (also because the macbook has dual core, dual channel and ddr2) then wat i experienced.
Just walking trough de_dust alone, my fps is ~7! That's really horrible, my settings are 800x600 and the other settings low. The strange thing is, is that i can only start CS:S when i set the direct X level to 7.0 . When i do 8.1, or 9.0, the CS:S menu after startup is black and i can't see anything. Even at dx 6.0 it's still 7 fps. I tried with this config: http://www.immolate.nl/index.php?site=files&file=1 although everything looked less nice, my fps is still at ~7 . I've installed the latest graphic drivers, and checked the configuration of it. Dx is also up to date.
Another strange thing, in 3d mark2001se the score is ~6k. I had a pc a few months ago, with an AMD athlon xp 2200+ and a Gf4mx440se, with an score of ~3-4k in 3dmark. And with that card, it played cs:s and hl2 smooth at 800x600 medium.
Mayby it has something to do with T&L, wich the intel integrated hasn't. I googled and found the program " 3D Analyzer" that can emulate T&L, you have to select the .exe, choose the settings and press run. But the problem is, CS:S is started by steam.exe -applaunch 240, and selecting hl2.exe doesn't work beceause you can't start the game by just launching hl2.exe (i don't have hl2 installed, only CS:s, but there is a hl2.exe in the steam folder).
I'm dissapointed abot this very bad performance, i really expected better. Mayby someone knows a solution, or how to emulate t&L (if that is the prob) on cs:s?
(iew, after i read my post i knew why i had such a low mark for my English grammar test at school last week :x )

I am having this EXACT same problem with cs:s, is this the only solution to this problem with the black screen and is everyone having this problem cause if not what did i do wrong lol
thanks

acircularmotive

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2006
Watford, UK
Exactly the same problem here, and after extended periods of time trying to find a fix, I haven't. It seems odd that Counter Strike: Source doesnt run in DirectX 9, yet Half Life 2 does.. considering they run on the same engine.

Also very irritating that I can't get Battlefield 2 to run either.. displaying the splash screen, followed by a black screen and then the desktop.

*goes back to hibernate in his cave*

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
if the macbook can run oblivion i will drop kick my ibook, but i have a 360 so why would i drop kick my favorite thing? POWER PC FOR LIFE! peace out

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'd take you up on that bar the fact that i'm running vista atm and i cant be bothered to go back to SP2

Barham

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2004
Ok, this debate can go on and will go on forever on these forums. There are certain people that demand a higher standard when playing games. Personally, I cannot bring myself to play a game that does not run in native resolution on an LCD monitor. I would rather take the framerate hit that often comes along with playing at native res. As soon as the LCD starts emulating resolution, the picture becomes extremely blurry and soft around all edges. It looks like I'm playing through the bottom of a coke bottle.

So, when people start listing adjusted resolutions on LCD based computers, I get skeptical. It's an area where I simply cannot sacrifice.

freelancer874

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
Cs:s --- Help!

Okay So I have a slight problem. Actually its a HUGE problem. I got a MacBook with every intention of loving my OS X. And I do. However, I want to play counter strike source with my friends. So I got Windows Xp and bootcamp and installed everything. I downloaded Steam. and then proceeded to download CS:S. However -when I went to launch - the screen goes black and while i can run my mouse over the buttons (that I cant see) I can't do anything else because obviously the screen is dark. How can I fix this? Apparenly everyone else has gotten their versions of CS:S to work but not me!! I MUST fix this!

PLEASE HELP ME!!
Thanks!

macbug

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2006
You need to do two things

Set half life 2 and counter strike to lauch with Direct x 7 ( fixes black screen )
and turn off auto save in half life 2 ( stops half life 2 from crashing )

Search google, you'll find the settings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.