Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Hi

Well its Half Term Holiday which means I am back at my work!

I have a Dual500 here that needs a new HD, I wanted to know, If I buy any IDE drive will it work in it? or do I need ATA66 or summut like that.

Thanks in advance!

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
the easy answer is yes, any IDE drive will work. The ATA spec is supposed to be backwards compatible (there are some gotchas with this) any drive should be ok. The only concern that still seems to matter is with drives larger than 128Gig.. you'll need an ATA 133 controller to use all of a drive larger than that. Right now I have 4 Western Digital 80gig drives on my 867. (2 internal, 2 in firewire enclosures) that I am very happy with, but we have had a pretty high failure rate with the Maxtor 80's.

bingimar

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2001
Reykjavik / ICELAND
stay a way of the "ez quest" HD

I bought a 40 gb HD last summer, I have had to take the disk 3 times to the apple store here in iceland for repairs each time spending 40.000, kr = 400$

3*400$=1200$

this HD is the most expensive one in ICELAND

The apple store cant pin point the problem.

rgds
Bjarni

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Ensign Paris

It's a pretty simple operation, Ensign.

However, if you want additional performance, you might consider keeping the original drive and then adding (2) identical IDE drives to create a software RAID 0 array under OS X.

Actually, I'm just living vicariously through you. I've been wanting to try out OS X's software RAID feature for a while.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
My Dual800 at work has 2x 72gb SCSI disks running in Raid 0. It works OK, but the problem with the other mac is that the current hard disk has some sort of non-repairable problem which no where can fix and they claim its not covered by waranty.

After the new one is installed I will send it away to be cleaned and hopefully it will fix it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.