PDA

View Full Version : Apple Expanding Best Buy Presence With Intel Macs?

MacRumors
May 31, 2006, 08:15 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ZDNet is reporting (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6078784.html) that Best Buy retail stores are beginning to stock and promote other Intel-based Macs in addition to already-stocked Mac Minis and iPods.

Best Buy, North America's largest consumer electronics retailer, and Apple are flogging the new MacBook units, as well as the MacBook Pro, Mac Mini and iMac systems, according to Samir Bhavnani, an analyst with Current Analysis. The Mac maker has prominent displays and units available in several Best Buy stores throughout the United States, he said.

Best Buy has been selling Apple's popular iPod music players and Mac Minis for some time, but the latest move represents a major expansion of Apple's retail efforts with Best Buy, as well as those outside of its own retail stores, Bhavnani said. [...] The move also shows that Apple is very confident about the inventory situation regarding its new Intel-based products, he said.

Best Buy originally began carrying (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/03/20050329123137.shtml) Mac Mini's in its retail stores last year.

Update: While Best Buy's website does indeed show that Apple's laptops (http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat64400050028&type=category) and consumer desktops (http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat60700050020&type=category) are "Available at most stores", this label appears to be misleading as most stores outside of California do not appear to have stock of the machines (yet?).

Update 2: News.com has posted a photo gallery (http://news.com.com/2300-1042_3-6078858-2.html) of a Best Buy store that is stocking and prominantly displaying Apple's complete lineup. Of note, a PowerMac is also among the display models, but was not reported to be among the latest initiative at the retail stores.

yankeefan24
May 31, 2006, 08:17 PM
This is good. As always, the more places selling Macs, means the more places where people can see them, and the more people buy, and market share goes up.

I will still go to an Apple Store though, although a Best Buy is right near me, I would rather go to the Apple Cube.

Eidorian
May 31, 2006, 08:20 PM
Here we go again. I remember this happening when the Mac Mini came out. After a few months the phenomenon died out leaving random components left in store. It was very sad to see. The Best Buy employees didn't know a thing about the machines.

avensis087
May 31, 2006, 08:21 PM
excellent news! i just hope the Best Buy sales staff doesn't leave a sour taste in customers' mouths by not knowing ***** about the machines or their capabilities. either way, way to get the presence out there even further Apple!

mr

Kingsly
May 31, 2006, 08:23 PM
This is good. As always, the more places selling Macs, means the more places where people can see them, and the more people buy, and market share goes up.
w00t!! Where does Joe Public go to buy a new computer? Circuit city, Best Buy or Comp USA. Looks like all we need is Circuit City and Apple is on its way world domination! :D

lord patton
May 31, 2006, 08:24 PM
Here we go again. I remember this happening when the Mac Mini came out. After a few months the phenomenon died out leaving random components left in store. It was very sad to see. The Best Buy employees didn't know a thing about the machines.

Yes, I know what you mean. However, the iMac is much more attractive and eye-catching. It will hold it's own on any shelf.

I think this is great news.

Eidorian
May 31, 2006, 08:25 PM
Yes, I know what you mean. However, the iMac is much more attractive and eye-catching. It will hold it's own on any shelf.

I think this is great news.Yeah, I just hope it works a little better this time around. The $699 Mini bundles some stores were sporting were easily passed over by $399 eMachines + CRT.

Koodauw
May 31, 2006, 08:25 PM
This has been tried before, Hopefully it will catch on this time around. Well educated employees will be the key.

shigzeo
May 31, 2006, 08:30 PM
first best buy opened in canada about 2 years ago or so. there were big queues of people and big discounts for one day, then everything went back to normal: no choice unless you select one of the 5 brands of electronics they carry. to have apple, a high-end computer manufacturer in such a low-end shoppe is a bit dysmal. best buy has this stigma of being a garage-sale of sorts, excpet minus the unique selection. great for market i guess, but terrible for image.

Kingsly
May 31, 2006, 08:31 PM
This has been tried before, Hopefully it will catch on this time around. Well educated employees will be the key.
I asked a Best Buy employee a simple question regarding a cable and was met with a blank stare.

Mac mini's what? You either left out a noun or there's an extra apostrophe there. Just saying.
LOL, I totally missed that. Good call's. :D

Moshiiii
May 31, 2006, 08:31 PM
Theres no mini's at my local BB.

Eidorian
May 31, 2006, 08:33 PM
Mac mini's what? You either left out a noun or there's an extra apostrophe there. Just saying.

Minis vs. Mini's

I know it is not a possessive noun or a contraction but "Mini's" looks better. :rolleyes:

Theres no mini's at my local BB.They died out around Summer of 2005.

bowzer
May 31, 2006, 08:35 PM
My Best Buy in Ottawa Canada has had the intel macs and macbook pros for awhile now...

kskill
May 31, 2006, 08:36 PM

I think this is great news.

Amen.

It's a great price for a powerful desktop/monitor combo. when i brought my 20" home from school, my friends had no idea what it was, and had a hard time believing there was no tower. hopefully it will gain mainstream status soon... this can only be good news.

AcousticDoc
May 31, 2006, 08:38 PM
I use to work at the big blue box of hell when they first started carrying apples. Man...I was threatened so many times by the supe because I was selling applecare rather than best buy's PSP.

thegreatluke
May 31, 2006, 08:38 PM
I believe it's up to the manager of the store.

At my store, either they don't even have the Mac minis out or they are very well hidden. :rolleyes:

I went there once (before I knew crap about Macs) and, asking where the Macs were, was responded to with "Macs? We don't have those here."

Both of you are wrong. It's "Mac minis." :) Apple does not capitalize "mini" for some reason. I guess it looks kinda cooler.

Frisco
May 31, 2006, 08:40 PM
Apple is the future. These PCs are just garbage.

stevieled
May 31, 2006, 08:41 PM
the pictures that Best Buy has on its site for the Macbook are pictures of the MacBook pro...people might buy the MacBook thinking that what they are getting is the metal laptop, and they will be surprised by a white or black macbook.

this obviously only applies to people who look online...but it looks like best buy isnt doing too well...yet.

coumerelli
May 31, 2006, 08:44 PM
the pictures that Best Buy has on its site for the Macbook are pictures of the MacBook pro...people might buy the MacBook thinking that what they are getting is the metal laptop, and they will be surprised by a white or black macbook.

this obviously only applies to people who look online...but it looks like best buy isnt doing to well...yet.

Not only that, but click on the macrumors supplied laptop link and you can read this:

PICK AN APPLE NOTEBOOK!
Check out our expanded selection of Apple® PowerBook® and iBook® notebook computers below.

I don't see a powerbook or iBook ANYWHERE on that page. lol :confused: :D ;)

LimeiBook86
May 31, 2006, 08:57 PM
Wow...yeah I hear working at Best Buy sucks but, if I was confined to selling Macs there I'd love it. And if they don't like me selling AppleCare they can fire me :p haha. The one store near us used to sell Mac Minis, it was hidden away with a crappy wireless mouse (which it's batteries were taken out) and the desktop was riddled with "untitled folders" and barley anything in the Dock. They need to put a restricted desktop up or an Apple demo video, it's absolutely crazy. I recently went back and I don't see the Mac mini at all, I didn't even ask because they idiots there probably would have no idea what I was talking about :p

iJawn108
May 31, 2006, 09:21 PM
I was in ours the other week and I asked to the guy working in the computer section "do you have the new macbooks in stock?" and he just looked at me like i was an alien and said "huh?" What garbage service he should have at least know about the macbook pros sitting not 2 feet from him.

scotty321
May 31, 2006, 09:22 PM
Folks, this is not good news. It's actually BAD NEWS.

No matter how great this may actually sound on paper, it doesn't work in the real world for a variety of reasons:

1. All Best Buy employees are Windows users. No Best Buy employees use the Mac. They know nothing about the Mac.

2. All Best Buy employees receive "spiffs" (commissions) for selling Windows-based PC's. They do not receive commissions for selling Macs.

3. All Best Buy employees neglect the Macs in their stores, and therefore leave them in a disheveled state with nobody knowing what to do with them.

4. There is ZERO Mac software available for purchase in Best Buy, so there's no software to sell along with the Mac. Best Buy employees are very quick to point this out when explaining to someone why they shouldn't buy a Mac. "You're gonna buy a Mac? Are you crazy? There's NO SOFTWARE available for the Mac! Look on our shelves -- not ONE piece of software here runs on the Mac!"

5. A vast majority of the accessories in Best Buy are NOT Mac compatible. MP3 players (which also provides nice spiffs to employees), multifunction printers, joysticks, keyboards, etc... many of them are simply not Mac compatible. And yes, I've stood in Best Buy as I've watched employees steer customers AWAY from the iPod, saying that the iPod gets "horrible reviews". Total B.S., but their commission increases by selling non-Apple MP3 players.

6. Macs are MORE EXPENSIVE than PC's. No matter how you slice it, this is true. You can walk out of Best Buy with a $299 PC (+ monitor + keyboard + mouse). You can't do this with a Mac. And the people that shop at Best Buy are looking for bargain-basement prices.

So any announcement of this sort only makes Apple look WORSE. When a customer walks into a Best Buy, and sees a bunch of Macs that are UNSUPPORTED AND HAVE NO SOFTWARE to go along with them, not to mention the fact that the PC's are HALF THE PRICE of the Macs and the employees are PUSHING the customers to buy the Macs... NOBODY is going to walk out with a Mac.

It simply makes Apple's image look worse than it already does at stores like Best Buy.

This is horrible news. Apple should be PULLING MACS OUT of Best Buy altogether, not putting MORE MACS INTO Best Buy.

Don't believe me?? Hey, don't take my word for it. Spend 30 minutes at your local Best Buy and take a look for yourself at how poorly the Mac is treated & discriminated against.

WildCowboy
May 31, 2006, 09:25 PM
A lot of statements using the word "all."

You might want to cut back on the blanket statements a bit. Overuse of hyperbole results in people tuning you out.

enzedchris
May 31, 2006, 09:28 PM
oddly enough, I have only seen mac minis at my local bb once (Orland Park, IL) but I was there with a friend a few days ago and a brand new iMac 1.83 17 inch was sitting there and I was like holy s***, so I showed him the usefulness of boot camp, first time I used it and I was fine. I was nonetheless amazed to see a mac in that store, running. But there was a note saying that all mac computers had to be ordered from that stored and picked up at a later date, and the flip up thing showed all the specs for the new intel macs, nothing about PMG5's or macbooks.

Wellander
May 31, 2006, 09:43 PM
Hi,
The best buy by my house only carries the ipods.
How ever bestbuy online (the web site) carries all mac products.

Apmonia
May 31, 2006, 09:46 PM

No matter how great this may actually sound on paper, it doesn't work in the real world for a variety of reasons:

1. All Best Buy employees are Windows users. No Best Buy employees use the Mac. They know nothing about the Mac.

2. All Best Buy employees receive "spiffs" (commissions) for selling Windows-based PC's. They do not receive commissions for selling Macs.

3. All Best Buy employees neglect the Macs in their stores, and therefore leave them in a disheveled state with nobody knowing what to do with them.

4. There is ZERO Mac software available for purchase in Best Buy, so there's no software to sell along with the Mac. Best Buy employees are very quick to point this out when explaining to someone why they shouldn't buy a Mac. "You're gonna buy a Mac? Are you crazy? There's NO SOFTWARE available for the Mac! Look on our shelves -- not ONE piece of software here runs on the Mac!"

5. A vast majority of the accessories in Best Buy are NOT Mac compatible. MP3 players (which also provides nice spiffs to employees), multifunction printers, joysticks, keyboards, etc... many of them are simply not Mac compatible. And yes, I've stood in Best Buy as I've watched employees steer customers AWAY from the iPod, saying that the iPod gets "horrible reviews". Total B.S., but their commission increases by selling non-Apple MP3 players.

6. Macs are MORE EXPENSIVE than PC's. No matter how you slice it, this is true. You can walk out of Best Buy with a $299 PC (+ monitor + keyboard + mouse). You can't do this with a Mac. And the people that shop at Best Buy are looking for bargain-basement prices.

So any announcement of this sort only makes Apple look WORSE. When a customer walks into a Best Buy, and sees a bunch of Macs that are UNSUPPORTED AND HAVE NO SOFTWARE to go along with them, not to mention the fact that the PC's are HALF THE PRICE of the Macs and the employees are PUSHING the customers to buy the Macs... NOBODY is going to walk out with a Mac.

It simply makes Apple's image look worse than it already does at stores like Best Buy.

This is horrible news. Apple should be PULLING MACS OUT of Best Buy altogether, not putting MORE MACS INTO Best Buy.

Don't believe me?? Hey, don't take my word for it. Spend 30 minutes at your local Best Buy and take a look for yourself at how poorly the Mac is treated & discriminated against.

Let me do this point by (wrong) point:
1. Not all Best Buy employees are Windows users. I work there and do not have a PC in the house. There are many others that I work there that have a new Mac and are well versed in them.

2. Not one Best Buy employee makes a "spiff" on anything. If they did, I would have more Macs.

3. Not true. When the Mac minis (like that? No caps :)) were in my store, everyone loved using it as a music player and therefore kept in nice shape. While I cannot say this about every store, I can imagine that there are many more that kept them looking nice.

4. Any Blizzard title, some other random games, and one odd copy of Norton Anti-Virus were on our shelves, but the real question is, what software do you really need? That is the beauty with the Macs, they come with everything you need to get started so no software is necessary.

5. Again with the spiffs, if you don't know, don't speak. And in fact, almost all accessories are Mac compatible out of the box. Just read the side of the box and there you go. I personally purchased a Micrsoft Mouse (I know, I know...but it's a nice mouse) and a Belkin Nostromo and they work with my Mac.

6. If you take the cost of anti-virus, anit-spyware and all the other software that a Mac comes with, that is incorrect. And not all people are looking buy bargain-basement computers. Why do you think we carry more than the cheap eMachines package? If that was the case, we would have one computer to sell and make my life soooo much easier.

So I hope that these help to clear up your misconceptions about Best Buy. And while I cannot say that every person at every store is not going to do these things, I can guarantee that no one walks away with any commission of spiffs or anything besides a paycheck.

And this is really good news for Apple if it is true (which I doubt). The more that Macs are visible, then the better the company will be.

And if you don't believe me???? Walk into the Macedonia, Ohio Best Buy and ask for John, I'll help you with all your Mac needs. :)

Apmonia

rednic
May 31, 2006, 09:53 PM
Check this link, it's not only best buy, i know this is the G4 version but the packaging shows (to me) that this concept is here to stay. And this will be the way apple gets rid rid of low end stock, The price at 699 USD (3 years aplecare kybrd mouse) seems reasonable

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-05-30/#5555

HiRez
May 31, 2006, 11:24 PM
You are right on all your points, Scotty. This is bad news for the Mac platform, the way they'll be presented at Best Buy can only cheapen the image. The machines will be trashed in this environment and the software available to try out (if they even bother to maintain it) will be minimal. Most of the Best Buy emplyees I've dealt with are at best unknowledgable about Mac, and at worst downright hostile (my apologies to the few exceptions). I've witnessed this first-hand a number of times and seen it observing other customers' interactions within the store. When I have to step in to correct the store employees on a number of misstatements they make (or the blank stare), it's not a good sign. This used to happen all the time at CompUSA (still does to a large extent) and I'd venture to say the CompUSA setup is more Mac-friendly than at Best Buy. With so many Apple stores now around, I don't think they need to do this. Let Best Buy sell iPods, perhaps, but not Macs. If they have to do this, I'd say don't sell Macs at any Best Buy where there's an Apple Store within 25 miles.

macsrockmysocks
Jun 1, 2006, 12:33 AM

They know nothing. When the mini just came out, I was obsessed with it. So one of the employees asked if he could help me. Well, right when he saw what I was looking at he said," But I can't help you with that." He just walked off after that. I would rather drive 20 minutes to CompUSA than go there.

neoelectronaut
Jun 1, 2006, 12:50 AM

And this is why I'm the Mac guru at CompUSA.

macsrockmysocks
Jun 1, 2006, 12:58 AM
And this is why I'm the Mac guru at CompUSA.

DUDE what CompUSA do you work at? I was just in the one on Veterans, maybe I saw you!! The Asian dude sold me my iMac.

neoelectronaut
Jun 1, 2006, 01:03 AM
DUDE what CompUSA do you work at? I was just in the one on Veterans, maybe I saw you!! The Asian dude sold me my iMac.

Heh, yeah that's the one I work at. You were helped either by Michael Phu or Arnie Evangelista.

Stop by tomorrow. I'll be there from 12-8. Look for Milton.

macsrockmysocks
Jun 1, 2006, 01:05 AM
Heh, yeah that's the one I work at. You were helped either by Michael Phu or Arnie Evangelista.

Stop by tomorrow. I'll be there from 12-8. Look for Milton.

Sadly, I can't drive yet:mad: :p .. But I think I know who you are. Were you working there ummmmm Monday?? Me my mom and my brother were looking at the black MB.

jono_3
Jun 1, 2006, 01:06 AM
i was at future shop today, which used to be a canadian company until it was bought out by best buy a few years ago, and sitting proudly with all the compaqs, gateways, emachines and whatever other ****** pcs they have was a beautiful 20" intel imac. future shop is a more upscale best buy, not like the "garage sale" some described. i guess its not just city streets that are less trashy in canada. :p

neoelectronaut
Jun 1, 2006, 01:07 AM
Sadly, I can't drive yet:mad: :p .. But I think I know who you are. Were you working there ummmmm Monday?? Me my mom and my brother were looking at the black MB.

Yes I was.

Me = White dude. Glasses. Slightly heavyset. About 6'....

macsrockmysocks
Jun 1, 2006, 01:10 AM
Yes I was.

Me = White dude. Glasses. Slightly heavyset. About 6'....

Yes I saw you, I think. You have sorta messy hair right??? well I guess you sort of didn't see me then. I'm a teenager. Today was my birthday!! Well, I'll ask for u to help me when I go next time.

neoelectronaut
Jun 1, 2006, 01:12 AM
Yes I saw you, I think. You have sorta messy hair right??? well I guess you sort of didn't see me then. I'm a teenager. Today was my birthday!! Well, I'll ask for u to help me when I go next time.

Messy hair? No. Typically it's combed.

...now that I think about it quite a few tall white guys with glasses work there.

The funniest thing about being "The Mac Guy" is that I'll walk into the building, not even reach the rear of the store to clock in, and I'll have at least 4 other employees stop and ask me questions.

We have an Apple rep, but it's not there all the time.

macsrockmysocks
Jun 1, 2006, 01:17 AM
Messy hair? No. Typically it's combed.

...now that I think about it quite a few tall white guys with glasses work there.

The funniest thing about being "The Mac Guy" is that I'll walk into the building, not even reach the rear of the store to clock in, and I'll have at least 4 other employees stop and ask me questions.

We have an Apple rep, but it's not there all the time.

Yea, one of my friends was there with his mom talking to the Apple rep Monday 2 hours before I came in. Teh apple rep was trying to tel her that she would not need Norton for Mac but she insisted....:rolleyes:

neoelectronaut
Jun 1, 2006, 01:18 AM
Yea, one of my friends was there with his mom talking to the Apple rep Monday 2 hours before I came in. Teh apple rep was trying to tel her that she would not need Norton for Mac but she insisted....:rolleyes:

In the 9 months that I've worked there, I don't believe I've ever seen a copy of Norton leave the shelf.

Just reorganized the software Tuesday though, put out alot of stuff. Aperture is actually on the shelf, so maybe it'll be an impulse buy for some folks.

Tomorrow I'll be re-working the iPod accessories wall.

macsrockmysocks
Jun 1, 2006, 01:20 AM
In the 9 months that I've worked there, I don't believe I've ever seen a copy of Norton leave the shelf.

Just reorganized the software Tuesday though, put out alot of stuff. Aperture is actually on the shelf, so maybe it'll be an impulse buy for some folks.

Tomorrow I'll be re-working the iPod accessories wall.

Tomorrow I will be doing nothing playing X-Box all day ( online either halo 2, counterstrike, battlefield 2, or conker LR). Since school is out, all I do is sit home all day, do absolutely nothing, check these forums, sleep, and eat:D

macsrockmysocks
Jun 1, 2006, 01:23 AM
Well back to the subject of Bestbuy, It would be great to have bestbuy carry Macs. For me, I have to drive all the way across the river to get to CompUSA. IT would be so much more convenient.

glowingstar
Jun 1, 2006, 03:22 AM

i wonder....do you think bestbuy would consider having windows xp up and running on at least one machine? would it be a good or bad idea?

Cubert
Jun 1, 2006, 06:22 AM
Zero Macs of any kind at the Best Buy in Philadelphia on Chemical Road (yeah, I know, great name for a road - real appealing). I was just there last week.

BenRoethig
Jun 1, 2006, 07:03 AM

But how many people are willing to drive three hours or more to an Apple store. I've been a Mac user for over 12 years and I'm not.

BenRoethig
Jun 1, 2006, 07:07 AM
Check this link, it's not only best buy, i know this is the G4 version but the packaging shows (to me) that this concept is here to stay. And this will be the way apple gets rid rid of low end stock, The price at 699 USD (3 years aplecare kybrd mouse) seems reasonable

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-05-30/#5555

A combo with a wireless keyboard? That's a good idea. Put them on the shelves at target and Wally world.

Madmic23
Jun 1, 2006, 07:09 AM
Is this really new? I bought my G5 iMac at Best Buy last May, they had a bunch of Mac stuff on display, and an actual real life Mac knowledgable sales person! They had a Powerbook, iBook, Mini, iMac and PowerMac with 23" apple monitor all on display. The sales guy really knew what he was talking about too which was nice to see.
I live in Canada, so I don't know if that makes a difference, but every Best Buy I've been in has sold Apple products and actually had a decent display for them as well.

Core Trio
Jun 1, 2006, 07:45 AM
Tomorrow I will be doing nothing playing X-Box all day ( online either halo 2, counterstrike, battlefield 2, or conker LR). Since school is out, all I do is sit home all day, do absolutely nothing, check these forums, sleep, and eat:D

Meanwhile my semester ended and i now work 40 hrs a week at a law office and might possibly be getting a second job (like 10 hrs a week) at the apple store.

I'd tell you to enjoy your youth and freedom while you have it, but Im only 19..:(

EDIT: Hey im no longer a newbie...i wonder when that happened i have been paying attention to it.

hakala01
Jun 1, 2006, 07:58 AM
oddly enough, I have only seen mac minis at my local bb once (Orland Park, IL) but I was there with a friend a few days ago and a brand new iMac 1.83 17 inch was sitting there and I was like holy s***, so I showed him the usefulness of boot camp, first time I used it and I was fine. I was nonetheless amazed to see a mac in that store, running. But there was a note saying that all mac computers had to be ordered from that stored and picked up at a later date, and the flip up thing showed all the specs for the new intel macs, nothing about PMG5's or macbooks.

Cool, another Mac user in the area. I've never been impressed whenever Best Buy has had Macs for sale. From my experiences at Best Buys, the Macs always look depressingly uncared for. The only time I've seen or heard anyone with any Mac knowledge at a Best Buy was when I've been there or back when they had an Apple rep in the store. I'm no Mac genius, but having been a user since the first Bondi iMacs came out, I like giving my 2 cents when I see people checking them out.

slackersonly
Jun 1, 2006, 08:45 AM
didnt apple launch the apple stores concept with the idea that they didnt want macs in the back corner of a store?

i do see merit in this move just not the timing. i think it would be better to have a mac center inside best buy. it would be worked by mac trained employees and would have mac compatible hardware/software. this would create the visual interest that many of us just call the mac experience.

kingtj
Jun 1, 2006, 08:47 AM
I'm not disagreeing with most (all?) of your points, but still - the reason this happens is because Apple refuses to give other shops a good enough price on the products. Best Buy can't afford to give their salespeople spiffs for selling Macs when they're barely making any money selling them to begin with.

CompUSA has the exact same problem, but they've largely managed to keep a semi-respectable Apple section in most stores only because they keep at least one salesperson on staff who is actually a certifiied Apple consultant. (Even if nobody else there cares at all how the Mac merchandise looks, the Mac expert tends to clean things back up on his/her shift, and dispenses enough advice while working to keep at least a percentage of shoppers happy.)

The independent Mac stores struggle with this too, in fact. But since they're always run by Mac zealots and *only* deal in Apple products and services, they can usually scrape by anyway. (EG. I've purchased RAM upgrades at badly inflated prices from our local "Mac HQ" store - simply because I wanted to support what they were doing and help keep them going. They're handy to have around if you want to buy the occasional odd 3rd. party product that Apple's own stores don't stock - and don't want to wait to order it via the web.)

shamino
Jun 1, 2006, 08:52 AM
Although Scotty is wrong about BB employees getting commissions, he is right that Macs are second-class (or third- or maybe tenth-class) citizens at most stores.

At every one I've been to, there is a sinlgle lone mini set up. Turned off. Not attached to any keyboard, mouse or display, so you can't actually do anything with it. Right next to a shelf full of assorted PCs, all running with eye-catching displays.

If you ask an employee, they have no clue what you're talking about. Many will actively try to sell you something else if you ask about the Mac.

And with all due respect to Apmonia, I have never seen a Mac software section in any BB store. The only Mac-compatible software are the rare cases where a manufacturer put the Mac version on the same CD as the Windows version.

In contrast, my local CompUSA (which isn't that great, either), has several different Mac models, which are on and working. They have three shelves of Mac software titles, including Mac OS, iLife, iWork, Adobe products, Disk Warrior, etc.

My local Micro Center is even better, devoting an entire room to Mac stuff, including third-party hardware (like ATI Mac-edition video cards.)

I hope BB starts actually trying to sell/support Macs, but if they just add another computer to their inventory without changing anything else, they shouldn't even bother. With friends like this, who need enemies?

iDrinkKoolAid
Jun 1, 2006, 08:53 AM
My local Best Buy sucked for selling the Mac Mini. It was hidden at the end of the aisle with no keyboard playing the same screen saver for days. No big wonder I didn't see it after a while...

backupdrummer
Jun 1, 2006, 08:54 AM
This is like the couple that keeps getting back together and are totally in love and then after a few weeks someones clothes are being thrown out the window.
Maybe it will be different this time but not likely.

I just hope it lasts past Christmas so when people get me gift cards for BB i can actually buy something.

Eidorian
Jun 1, 2006, 09:40 AM
My local Best Buy sucked for selling the Mac Mini. It was hidden at the end of the aisle with no keyboard playing the same screen saver for days. No big wonder I didn't see it after a while...Yeah, they used the last Mac mini to run a slideshow for a wireless display. It was a sad end for it.

SPUY767
Jun 1, 2006, 09:48 AM
The guys at C|Net forgot to mention how being sold at Best Buy mean that Apple was going out of business because of Commoditization.

Cinch
Jun 1, 2006, 09:57 AM
Of all the Best Buy stores that I entered the computer section is almost always empty. Best Buy sell culture is counter to what Apples is. There is nothing in a Best Buy store that say hip or trend setting. It is a warehouse with post-high school kids who seems to be put there by default.

There is really nothing in Best Buy the is compelling to me, but maybe I pass the buying age group that marketeers focus on. Except for a flat screen TV, but I can't imagine going just for this.

Think of this people: Apple is selling hip MacBooks and a few step away, you can buy a cheap washer and a horid energy sapping dryer to go.

I smell a really agressive sales force group at Apple working on this deal. The leader of this small zealot group formerly works for AOL. OMG:D

Cinch

Multimedia
Jun 1, 2006, 10:01 AM
A perfect place to show off Boot Camp and Parallels Workstation. If I was a manager in the computer department of a Best Buy, I would make demonstrating that capability to every Windose wanter that walked through my door. ;)

As to why? Why not? Volume, volume, volume is the name of Apple's new game. :)

milo
Jun 1, 2006, 10:57 AM
I will NEVER shop at Best Buy again. I just got a DVD as a gift, already had it. The store wouldn't let me exchange it, even though it was unopened and had a gift receipt, just because it was a couple days past the 30 day mark.

Come on, that's ridiculous. If they care that little about customers, I'm staying away.

itguy06
Jun 1, 2006, 11:04 AM

That's a sweeping statement. And I'll bet a false ones.

Again, you know this how? And how do you know Apple isn't offering spiffs to the salespeople with this new agreement?

Our Mac Mini display was in good shape even after a couple months.

With the last time they tried this, they had an Apple section with, you guessed it - software!

5. A vast majority of the accessories in Best Buy are NOT Mac compatible. MP3 players (which also provides nice spiffs to employees), multifunction printers, joysticks, keyboards, etc... many of them are simply not Mac compatible.

Wrong again. Most MP3 players do support the Mac (Creative, Sandisk, etc) - you have to drag and drop, but they do work.

And 98% of the printers do work - HP, Canon, and Epson. Even the multifunctions. My Brother MFC-5440cn works flawlessly in all apsects with my Mac. As do the Canon and Epson MFC's.

I bought my Logitech mouse at Circuit City. And my previous Epson scanner was from OfficeMax.

Not necessarily. If sold right, the Mac is cheaper than the PC when all the freebies you get with the Mac are factored in. And those cheap PC's are after many, many rebates. Trust me, I know - I've helped many people buy these ultra cheap PC's. They are not that good of a deal after all - very poor performance and quality.

If done right, this could be good for Apple, just like the CompUSA deal.

mccldwll
Jun 1, 2006, 11:08 AM
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but....
Yes, BB sucks, but possibly this Apple's first step to getting BB (home entertainment) better up to speed with macs so BB ready when new home entertainment mac (enhanced mini/new split imac/whatever) hits w/in next 6 months.

BenRoethig
Jun 1, 2006, 11:21 AM
didnt apple launch the apple stores concept with the idea that they didnt want macs in the back corner of a store?

i do see merit in this move just not the timing. i think it would be better to have a mac center inside best buy. it would be worked by mac trained employees and would have mac compatible hardware/software. this would create the visual interest that many of us just call the mac experience.

Maybe, but as long as there are 300 mile gaps between stores, going to a completely direct model is only going to hurt Apple. Better to use Best Buy or CompUSA until they can figure out most of our population lives places other than New York and L.A.

numediaman
Jun 1, 2006, 11:33 AM
Actual Best Buy conversation (Illinois location):

Customer: I'm looking for a new set of speakers to plug into my Mac.

Best Buy Employee: Sorry, we don't sell Mac speakers.

Customers: No, I'm just looking for computer speakers, you know, to listen to music and movies, and such.

Best Buy Employee: Sorry, you need special speakers to plug into a Mac. We only sell Windows speakers.

The customer started walking out, but I grabbed them and showed them where the speakers were and said "it's Best Buy, you know." He smiled and replied "they're complete idiots".

supremedesigner
Jun 1, 2006, 11:36 AM
I will NEVER shop at Best Buy again. I just got a DVD as a gift, already had it. The store wouldn't let me exchange it, even though it was unopened and had a gift receipt, just because it was a couple days past the 30 day mark.

Come on, that's ridiculous. If they care that little about customers, I'm staying away.

That's true. I don't buy any hi-tech stuffs at best buy, usually I don't. Just DVD's and accessories.

But I buy hi-tech stuffs at Circuit City (TV's, etc.). I don't know why I felt that way but it seems like they care about customers more than at sloppy best buy. Anyone with me?

DTphonehome
Jun 1, 2006, 11:45 AM

Customers: No, I'm just looking for computer speakers, you know, to listen to music and movies, and such.

Best Buy Employee: Sorry, you need special speakers to plug into a Mac. We only sell Windows speakers.

:eek:

floriflee
Jun 1, 2006, 11:48 AM

The customer started walking out, but I grabbed them and showed them where the speakers were and said "it's Best Buy, you know." He smiled and replied "they're complete idiots".

Obviously the employees need a bit more training before expanding their Apple inventory any further.... :D

bankshot
Jun 1, 2006, 12:03 PM
But I buy hi-tech stuffs at Circuit City (TV's, etc.). I don't know why I felt that way but it seems like they care about customers more than at sloppy best buy. Anyone with me?

Nope. :rolleyes:

I think I had a couple of bad experiences with idiot salespeople at Circuit City several years ago, so I've never liked the store since. I only go when they have a specific product I need that other stores don't carry.

Best Buy sucks too, but I haven't had any terrible salesperson experiences. I just hate their horrible selection. Years ago, they were great for buying CDs at cheap prices, but by now I have pretty much everything I want that they might carry in store. I have a wishlist at Amazon.com with over 160 CDs, and trying to find even one of them at a Best Buy is an exercise in frustration. I had to gently tell my parents this past Christmas that the BB gift card was much appreciated, but Amazon is so much better for me. I never found anything in the store, so I had to order some stuff online, which BB totally botched anyway.

On topic, I have to agree with those who see this negatively. Unless Apple is aggressive about mandating certain quality standards in the "Mac" sections of Best Buy stores, this can only be bad. There will be exceptions where a manager and/or employee care about making the section look good, but it will not be the majority. In many cases, it'll just reinforce the consumer stereotype that Macs aren't "real" computers, are too expensive, and can't do anything useful. Blah. :(

Gasu E.
Jun 1, 2006, 12:10 PM
It's pretty
It's got great reviews
It runs Windows.

What more do you need to know to sell it?

DTphonehome
Jun 1, 2006, 12:42 PM
Update 2: News.com has posted a photo gallery (http://news.com.com/2300-1042_3-6078858-2.html) of a Best Buy store that is stocking and prominantly displaying Apple's complete lineup. Of note, a PowerMac is also among the display models, but was not reported to be among the latest initiative at the retail stores.

Alright, those displays look halfway decent. Apple-y without being a whole seperate area, but distinct enough that they aren't just crammed into the existing PC area. Let's just hope they give employees at least a 30 min training session before letting them sell these. Or have at least one knowledgable salesperson per shift.

JAT
Jun 1, 2006, 12:42 PM
So, the implication I'm getting from this thread is that BB employees do know something about Windoze PCs? When did this happen? Did somebody start training BB employees? Does corporate know? This clearly can't be allowed.

justflie
Jun 1, 2006, 12:50 PM
does anyone that has seen these/works at best buy know if the macs are hooked up to the internet? typically none of the PC's are but i know at an apple store everything obviously is. so is there internet available on the macs? it would be a shame if not, so many of the cool extra goodies need net access...

corywoolf
Jun 1, 2006, 01:36 PM
Something makes me want to pull my hair out when I see this. I really hate Best Buy and even though it is good for Apple, I just can't stand the thought of the ignorant employees at BB trying to sell these by saying "Oh yeah these run windows, so don't bother using that other OS that comes on it." I truly dread the day where the average overweight white (Peter Griffin type) Walmart shopping American owns a Mac. I know it's wrong to try to keep the community small and smart (mostly), but the day Apple becomes a Dell, is the day I switch to Linux. Especially because by then OS X is bound to be just like windows in terms of security. I am assuming most of you will agree with at least part of this. Can't wait to see the day when a Linux switching campaign replaces the Mac switch campaign. :p

Go back without the receipt and they will let you exchange it, if you get the right employee. Just say it was a gift and you can't get a receipt. Tell them you already own it and that it was given to you in the past 10 days.

:eek: Jesus... WoW... just crapped myself.

DTphonehome
Jun 1, 2006, 02:19 PM
I truly dread the day where the average overweight white (Peter Griffin type) Walmart shopping American owns a Mac. I know it's wrong to try to keep the community small and smart (mostly), but the day Apple becomes a Dell, is the day I switch to Linux.

Don't be such an elitist.

Especially because by then OS X is bound to be just like windows in terms of security.

This line of reasoning has been disproven ad nauseum. Mac OS X is inherently more stable and secure. Increased market share may uncover some security holes, but it will not make the platform any less secure.

Can't wait to see the day when a Linux switching campaign replaces the Mac switch campaign. :p

I CAN wait for the day when that happens. Which it won't, because "Linux" is not a product sold by any company to be promoted through a campaign. And you can't even compare the polish of Mac OS X to any distribution of Linux, much as people like to pretend you can.

emaja
Jun 1, 2006, 02:35 PM

<snip>

"it's Best Buy, you know." He smiled and replied "they're complete idiots".

Not entirely fair. I understand that if you are selling anything, it makes sense to know about what you have, as well as what you do not have. Most people - not the ones who post here - think that Macs and PCs are so different that there is no way that one peripheral can possibly work with both.

Back with the rest of the topic. CompUSA is not really any better. The "store within a store" concept is great, but I often get the same blank stares when I ask about Macs at a CompUSA unless the "Mac specialist" is in. The displays are locked down, but still beat up and it takes them forever to get new models in. Maybe my local store, or the stores in my region are the exceptions, but the several CompUSAs I have been in have been similar.

As far as software at Best Buy, there is not a whole lot more at CompUSA.

Scotty321, not a single Best Buy employee is on any kind of commission or receives anything other than their hourly wage for selling - or standing around talking. Best Buy was the first national electronics reseller to go non-commission. In contrast, CompUSA is on commission last I knew. A guy I used to work with left and went to work there. They got 1% on product and 2% on warrantees and AppleCare.

Stop talking when you do not know what you are talking about. I have close personal contacts with people at Best Buy and you obviously do not.

Anywhere that you can buy a Mac is a good place in my book. Some do it better than others, yes. Perhaps Apple should take a more involved role in selling their products at other stores - and then not forget about them like they seem to have done with at least my local CompUSA.

That said, by far the best place to get info is at the Apple Store, but we have all read stories about misinformation given there too. It all comes down to the individual employee. If they care, you will get help. If they don't, you won't.

Can't wait to see the day when a Linux switching campaign replaces the Mac switch campaign.

Linux? Please. Not only is it not a product that will need to advertise because there is no selling involved, but there is such a "secret society" mentality that a lof of Linux users have. I have checked into it and the boards are filled with "RTFM n00b" comments that it really is difficult for someone to gain knowledge from experienced users.

Contrast that to this and the Apple support forums where you rarely get shot down or made to feel foolish for asking a question. The Linux community seems to want to stay exclusive whereas the Mac community wants to be inclusive - your elitist comments excepted.

nem3015
Jun 1, 2006, 02:40 PM

I live in Pleasanton which have an Apple Store and also a Best Buy and a Compusa withing few blocks of distance each others.
The best Buy doesn't carry Mac at all. Period. No need to steer people away :D
Then you go to Compusa (I went a week ago)... Macs are relegated on a shelf at the end of the store looking they have not been dusted in a while. Very bad image not to mention that they still have some old models like g4s and such. Only Mac intel on sight was a iMac. I started to talk with an employee, very nice person but with a lack of knowledge the size of a black hole. So I took the chance to give him a little scratch course on Macs and even on PCs.

Sadly, people working in these stores are just sales persons, with very little training other than saying "this is a great computer.... blah blah (replace here with the marketing words from brand website)" not to mention probably miserable salaries based mostly on commissions that may get up to 2% if you are lucky which add to the lack of motivation.

I agree, is not a good thing... sure would be convenient have macs everywhere but not if is going to be against the same service and image an apple store can give you (and that is even despite some bad experiences that you can see in the forums).:(

nem3015
Jun 1, 2006, 02:59 PM
does anyone that has seen these/works at best buy know if the macs are hooked up to the internet? typically none of the PC's are but i know at an apple store everything obviously is. so is there internet available on the macs? it would be a shame if not, so many of the cool extra goodies need net access...

"Click on the blue e... internet explorer open and says... the page cannot display"... sound familiar?

As far I know, none of the big retail chains have that kind of detail for customers. Not BB, Compusa or Fry's, those are the one I have close. Really put up an internet wired network is not such a big deal (neither physically nor financially) but apparently is not worthing the effort for them to sell PCs or Macs... Another detail that make Apple stores stand out.

bankshot
Jun 1, 2006, 03:51 PM
Contrast that to this and the Apple support forums where you rarely get shot down or made to feel foolish for asking a question. The Linux community seems to want to stay exclusive whereas the Mac community wants to be inclusive - your elitist comments excepted.

This is straying off topic, but... I agree that the Apple support forums are pretty friendly. But I've found that's not necessarily the case elsewhere in the Mac community. Even here, often when someone posts about their frustration with a Mac, it's met with a latent attitude of "It's obviously your fault, Macs are flawless so you must be doing it wrong. Go back to your Windoze crap!!!" I strive to be helpful, but this sort of attitude sometimes turns me off from hanging around too much.

Then again, all communities are made up of many different individuals with different views and personalities. Some people often forget this. With the exception of true cults, you probably can't really label any given community in a certain way without having a significant percentage of its members fall outside that label. Such is the fun of the internet. ;)

shamino
Jun 1, 2006, 04:54 PM
Wow. This is the first BB I've ever seen with working Macs. And an actual (although small) software selection. I spot boxes of Mac OS, iLife and iWork on that shelf.

I wonder if I'll see a similar display in my town, or if this is just the token store that BB uses for press events to trick Apple into thinking that there is a single person with a brain cell anywhere in the corporation.

Even here, often when someone posts about their frustration with a Mac, it's met with a latent attitude of "It's obviously your fault, Macs are flawless so you must be doing it wrong. Go back to your Windoze crap!!!" I strive to be helpful, but this sort of attitude sometimes turns me off from hanging around too much.
I would agree, except that I've seen plenty of cases where it is the user's fault. Like the people who install every haxie they can get from Unsanity, including ones that broke three system updates ago, and then blame Apple when the result is a system that crashes every five minutes.

And for some reason, the people who perform this kind of system-self-mutilation seem to be the ones who complain loudest that it must be someone else's fault.

No, this isn't the case of everyone with problems, but it doesn't take many flaming idiots to permanently ruin your opinion of everybody else.

Norse Son
Jun 1, 2006, 05:03 PM
Went to the Best Buy page highlighted/linked in the stories. Found the rest of the Apple gear pages. I clicked on the "Add to Cart" button for a stock 20" 2GHz iMac Core Duo. It took me to the cart page. But, whereas Circuit City (for a digital camera purchase earlier this year) had pics/links/info on useful and/or necessary accessories for electronics (PCs, too?), the Best Buy sight is deaf to that kind of helpful assistance. I mean, it didn't even have info or a link on adding the AppleCare warranty. And nothing about additional memory...

Don't get me wrong, I love Best Buy - it began in my home state. But I've never been thrilled with their lukewarm efforts to sell Apple hardware. And forget about finding any software for MacOS X in the multiple aisles of mediocre apps and been-there-blown-that-up-already games. Even the iPod - I'm amazed that they sell any the way they're displayed.

At least when Comp USA started selling Macs some years ago they (initially, at any rate) had dedicated & trained staff for the "Apple Area" in their stores. Do they still, or did that "firm commitment" fade away like all the rest? Face it, even Costco is now selling blister-packed G4 Mac mini systems (PC, keyboard, mouse, etc.) - I hope their customers don't expect any expert guideance.

Mac2004
Jun 1, 2006, 05:36 PM
Has anyone ever been in a Best Buy to shop for Apple products????? It is not a pleasant experience. There is no Mac OSX software and the young kids who work in the stores are very PRO Windows PC. That's all they push. They will tell you that if you get an Apple you won't be able to buy much software, etc. I have been in there before and the sales clerks really promote the Windows PC computers. Whenever you bring up Apple they kind of roll their eyes. Apple should secretly send in someone to their stores (a shopper) and they will see what I am saying. The young clerks don't know what in the hell they are talking about. The Mac Mini just sits in a corner gathering dust while these young clerks just promote the hell out of Windows PC's. The clerks at the 2 stores I shop at even demean the IPod. They tell me they are always returned with defects, etc.

fluidinclusion
Jun 1, 2006, 06:10 PM
My best buy store unfortunately dropped all mac sales over the last year (still have iPods though). I tried to buy one in August last year, and they had none in stock (only the display in the far corner of the store). They weren't interested in selling me one or giving me any info on when they would have them in stock, so I went elsewhere (Mail order in this case).

blope
Jun 1, 2006, 06:39 PM
I bought a Mac Mini Duo at Best Buy last week, I needed instant gratification & I just got a $200 Gift Card that was burning a hole in my wallet. I walked in, said I want one of those, they guy got it out of the back and I paid for it. All in less than 10 minutes. No Problem.

mandoman
Jun 1, 2006, 07:34 PM
Agh, whatever. The only things I've bought from BB are cd's (mediocre selection,ok price), dvds (good selection,ok price),
videogames (kiosk's for all major consoles),
small accessories, and heavily rebated items (router,hdd). I will probably never make a major purchase >$200 at a BB. Though I might consider a major purchase (hi-def tv) at their sister store, Magnolia Hi-Fi when the time comes to upgrade my tv.

Here's my order of preference for buying Mac products:

Out-of-state Apple Specialist (save sales tax) - Powermax is my fave
Amazon.com - usually have a good rebate, no tax, free shipping

If I have to buy today, the order of preference would be
from best to worst:
Apple Retail Store
Apple Specialist (harder and to harder to find, Retail stores driving most out of business).
Microcenter (great apple section, good sales reps).
CompUSA (decent apple section)
Best Buy
Fry's (worst selection, very outdated displays, very poor sales reps).

The thing about Mac's is, there is no discount off of the retail price.
So when buying from a retail store when price is no longer a factor,
I would go to the place with the best sales staff and best return policy.

The only thing I like about best buy are the stores are well laid out and most everything for sale is on display. They also have a pretty decent no hasstle return policy. In general, it's fun to browse BB.

I would like to mention that BB's computer displays in general, even PC's, are probably the worst thing about the store. Small selection and poor displays. Some items, like HP HTPC that I was interested in, are actually online ordering. So it's not just mac's.

I frequently read the Sunday Circular for BB, and I seem to recall Mac's frequently advertised - iMac's and mini's in particular come to mind.
Ipod's and accessories are almost always advertised. Mileage may vary in your area.

Oh well, I guess Mac's in BB may not add much market share, but I can't actually see it hurting sales.

I think if Apple wants to make their presence in Best Buy fly, they need to have Apple reps frequent all of the stores.

In my area, the SF Bay Area, their is literally a BB every 15 miles - I'm NOT kidding here, they are EVERYWHERE. Apple could probably hire one rep. to cover 3-4 stores (~2 hours/day each store) to raise brand awareness amonst employees and customers.

In the end, it's probably the store manager that will make or break Apple's success with Best Buy.

AidenShaw
Jun 1, 2006, 09:06 PM
In my area, the SF Bay Area, their is literally a BB every 15 miles - I'm NOT kidding here, they are EVERYWHERE.
Check from Palo Alto - San carlos, EPA, MTV, Sunnyvale, Milpitas, Stevens Creek - six of them in a 15 mile radius of PA.

mattster16
Jun 2, 2006, 08:02 AM
The Best Buy employees didn't know a thing about the machines.

Exactly. This is what worries me. From experience of working at 2 Best Buys I've seen many examples. The employees and even most of the geek squad live in a PC only world. Here are some examples of the things I have heard told to customers who have asked about and were genuingly interested in a mac:

1. Macs have less compatibility and are harder to set up and maintain.

2. Only the airport router works with macs (linksys, netgear, etc. are incompatible).

3. Powerbooks have the worst battery on the market. Any PC laptop's battery will provide greater battery life and will last longer.

4. Macs are slower than PCs and most tasks take longer.

5. Macs won't work with all wireless networks (coffee shops, schools).

6. Macs are only for photo and video editing, they aren't as compatible with the internet and websites.

The list goes on and on. It always made me angry to overhear these conversations and not be able to say anything. Even if I tried to talk to coworkers about macs they would reject any of my counter arguments. I eventually discretely started sending people to the Apple Store in the mall across the street. :cool:

Another obstacle is the fact that Best Buy's typical consumer is looking for a cheap bargain. Celeron and Turion are king at Best Buy. When I worked there 95% of computer sales were sub $1000 laptops or sub $700 desktops and this was in a very wealthy suburb of Minneapolis.

I do have some faith that employees will learn more if the machines are there on display to use, but I won't count on it.

EDIT: To be fair most of the computer sales departments don't know crap about PCs either.

sarcosis
Jun 2, 2006, 12:56 PM
Does any one know if they take the education discount there for college students?

amac4me
Jun 2, 2006, 03:20 PM
If Apple doesn't have a dedicated sales associate to promote and answer customer's questions, the initiative will fail.

The Best Buy sales associates aren't the brightest.

Can anyone report back on who is tasked with selling the Macs?

susiequest
Jun 2, 2006, 05:07 PM
I went to my local Bestbuy store and not only do they carry Apple but they have an Apple employee there too! I think there will be an Apple rep in each store! They have a cool site too!

www.bestbuyapple.com
(http://bestbuyapple.com)

avus
Jun 2, 2006, 06:25 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/wlwt/20060601/lo_wlwt/9303216

:eek:

mrweirdo
Jun 2, 2006, 10:39 PM
just my luck our store just around the corner doesnt carry apple products except one or two ipods :(

and infact by checking online all the stores in the area dont carry apple products except ipods. And I'm an in northern California too. I still havent been able to see the new macbook yet because the only store thats close by which happens to be a compusa is completly out of the way.

I wanted to see the new 13" macbook before I order the thing. When i do order it I must have it in my hands by June 30th so I'm probably runing out of time. Anyone know how long it takes for apple to ship these out when you order them online?

macaddict06
Jun 2, 2006, 11:37 PM
Checked here in Milwaukee, WI...No Macs to be seen at the store near me, just a bunch of crappy HPs and the like....ick.

Take a look at the MacBooks in the laptop section of the Best Buy website (http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat64400050028&type=category)....those MacBooks sure look shiny and silver, have the optical slot in the front, and say MacBook Pro....if Best Buy can't even get the product images right, this is not a good sign. It's time they enact some serious quality control on that website (a black laptop should be black, not silver, and should be the right model). I hope this thing works out with Apple.

Further Proof:
"PICK AN APPLE NOTEBOOK!
Check out our expanded selection of Apple® PowerBook® and iBook® notebook computers below."
This sited at the top of the page I linked. So they sell iBooks now too (they don't)? GAH! terrible!

tedrjr03
Jun 2, 2006, 11:46 PM
its about time because i dont have a apple store anywhere around me:(

macaddict06
Jun 2, 2006, 11:52 PM
I went to my local Bestbuy store and not only do they carry Apple but they have an Apple employee there too! I think there will be an Apple rep in each store! They have a cool site too!

Is this actually maintained by Best Buy? If it is, it totally reinforces my notion of poor quality control. However, I would be inclined to think that the site was built /hosted by someone else - red eye in some pictures, that opening shot from a store looks like it was shot with a Quicktake100 or something, not sharp, blurriness, etc. Point is, if this is a professional site, it shouldn't look like it was developed by a reject from the Advanced CS class at my High School.

However, for the record I will say this: Speaking as someone in need of a job, with Mac experience, things may be looking up. After all, the only way to seek change is to infiltrate their ranks and show them how it's done...;)

Yoursh
Jun 3, 2006, 01:20 AM
Just wanted to say that last year when I was in the market for a laptop for work I went to one of my local BB to check out there selection of pc laptops. While there I passed the lone mini on display and started to play around with it. I had never messed with one before. While I was doing this a department employee came up and asked if I liked the mini. I said it was interesting but was in the market for a laptop. He complained that he wished that they would stock the iMacs since he thought they would sell better. We started to bs and he showed me around the area showing me their stock of pc laptops. He asked me what I was going to use it for. After I told him he suggested I look into the Apple laptops since he thought an ibook would suit my needs. He told me to go to the nearest Apple store(he pointed out their location too) and look at them before I made a decision on a laptop. Long story short, I bought my ibook 3 weeks later.

This strategy could work if BB makes an effort to have employees on hand that know the products. Otherwise your going to see alot of display models booted into Windows.

Jeff Wampler
Jun 3, 2006, 01:29 AM
and market share goes up.

And that's what it's all about right?

BenRoethig
Jun 3, 2006, 01:07 PM
Checked here in Milwaukee, WI...No Macs to be seen at the store near me, just a bunch of crappy HPs and the like....ick.

Take a look at the MacBooks in the laptop section of the Best Buy website (http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat64400050028&type=category)....those MacBooks sure look shiny and silver, have the optical slot in the front, and say MacBook Pro....if Best Buy can't even get the product images right, this is not a good sign. It's time they enact some serious quality control on that website (a black laptop should be black, not silver, and should be the right model). I hope this thing works out with Apple.

Further Proof:
"PICK AN APPLE NOTEBOOK!
Check out our expanded selection of Apple® PowerBook® and iBook® notebook computers below."
This sited at the top of the page I linked. So they sell iBooks now too (they don't)? GAH! terrible!

You have the Mayfair Apple store and a CompUSA on Bluemound Road. Many of us don't.

cyberdogl2
Jun 3, 2006, 02:22 PM
I used to work at CompUSA and there are people who know a lot about Macs (like me) and many who don't. With retail it's the luck of the draw of the worker in terms of knowledge and experience. They don't make it hard to leave though, which I did. The lack of passion for products, from everyone, besides me, killed me so i quit.

idkfa
Jun 3, 2006, 03:25 PM
This reminds me of the sad day in my life about a week ago when I walked into my local Zeller's store (Canadian Knockoff of Walmart - Very Bad Store) to pick up some overpriced CD-R's because it was the only place close.

Walking past the electronics counter, I noticed something crammed among the Creative and Samsung music players, and digital cameras.

A single 20GB 4G iPod in the trademark cube box, selling for $380 CDN, all alone.

I looked up... to the left was wrapping paper on sale for 99 cents, to the right was a bargin bin of VHS tapes for $1.20, and ahead of me was a 50 year old grungy saleslady, giving me a confused look. Moments later... a part of my soul, my very being, my life essence... was lost.

I have been there since... and it is still there...

I may need to go back and buy it, just to save the poor thing. :(

it5five
Jun 3, 2006, 06:16 PM
The Best Buy at Arrowhead here in Phoenix doesn't have the Apple display either. I went to ask someone in charge if they'd be getting it some time soon and he had no idea what I was talking about.

FF_productions
Jun 3, 2006, 07:28 PM
I think this might do the trick for my dad. He got his PC there a few years ago, I sure hope he gets a Mac there soon too.

TrueBlueMac
Jun 3, 2006, 08:20 PM
Is this actually maintained by Best Buy? If it is, it totally reinforces my notion of poor quality control. However, I would be inclined to think that the site was built /hosted by someone else - red eye in some pictures, that opening shot from a store looks like it was shot with a Quicktake100 or something, not sharp, blurriness, etc. Point is, if this is a professional site, it shouldn't look like it was developed by a reject from the Advanced CS class at my High School.

However, for the record I will say this: Speaking as someone in need of a job, with Mac experience, things may be looking up. After all, the only way to seek change is to infiltrate their ranks and show them how it's done...;)

This site was made with iWeb in the Bestbuy store to show what your everyday customer can build with a Mac. It is hosted on .Mac and by the page templates it was made with iWeb. It is just an example of what one can make with the iLife programs. If you ask me it's pretty damn good for a .Mac account. At least this store is promoting Apple as well as they can and they seem to have happy Apple customers. If this is your level of Mac experience, that is your lack of knowledge for Apple iapps then maybe you should be learning more about Apple and spend less time criticizing other positive Apple related posts...

Billy Boo Bob
Jun 4, 2006, 01:16 AM

www.bestbuyapple.com
(http://bestbuyapple.com)
Now, if each store would put up the same type of setup that would be cool. I'll have to take the trek to Paducah (KY) to see what they have there. I don't really hold up much hope. It's another one of those where the sales reps don't know much more than what's on the display cards in front of each PC. I think they're more interested in selling HTDVs than computers.

susiequest
Jun 4, 2006, 12:10 PM
Now, if each store would put up the same type of setup that would be cool. I'll have to take the trek to Paducah (KY) to see what they have there. I don't really hold up much hope. It's another one of those where the sales reps don't know much more than what's on the display cards in front of each PC. I think they're more interested in selling HTDVs than computers.

You won't find it in your store at least not yet. They have only installed it in 6 or 7 stores and they are all out here. I went to another one by my house and they told me that it is a pilot program. Probably other stores in the country don't even know anything about it. Both times I talked with Apple reps and they were extremely helpful. (West LA and Hollywood) All I know is that I wanted to use my Best buy card and get my rewards but didn't want a PC. The moment I saw they had Apple I picked up a Macbook, earned my points and got 18 months no interest!

/SG\
Jun 4, 2006, 06:24 PM
The best laptops cannot be purchased at an electronics chain: Dells!

As for I Pods, they don't need more awareness.

Collin973
Jun 4, 2006, 07:41 PM
I never really liked buy computers from retailers like Best Buy with these pre-built computers. Maybe it's my curse from those years of BTO from dell...but they've served me well...except for this laptop I have...oh well, I prefer building my own computer to what I feel i need...not what Best Buy thinks...