PDA

View Full Version : New U2 iPod Released

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 6, 2006, 08:24 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple quietly released (http://www.apple.com/ipod/u2) an updated version of the U2 iPod today, following the same black and red color scheme of the previous model. The new version has a 30GB storage capacity and has all the capabilities of the current standard 30GB iPod model. The back of the model has the signatures of the band members laser-etched into a black finish.

The U2 iPod is available for $329, and comes with an iTMS coupon valid for a 30 minute video of music videos and band interviews.

MattG
Jun 6, 2006, 08:25 AM
Yawn :rolleyes:

Where are the video iPods with WiFi?

yg17
Jun 6, 2006, 08:25 AM
Does anyone still give a damn about U2? :rolleyes:

Eidorian
Jun 6, 2006, 08:26 AM
I wasn't expecting this. :confused:

Chundles
Jun 6, 2006, 08:26 AM
Boring....

Done before and not received all that well then so why do it now?

Belly-laughs
Jun 6, 2006, 08:28 AM
Where´s the Bono all red iPod?

colinp
Jun 6, 2006, 08:29 AM
The back has a black finish! I think that's pretty sweet. What's the likelyhood of that trickling down to the regular iPod line?

Can't say I am a fan of the red scrool wheel though.

Chris Bangle
Jun 6, 2006, 08:32 AM
Oh my days the back is black stainless steel. How amazing. Thats gonna look awesome. Shame no damn full screen ipods though. I want a touchscreen and i want it now..... But black stainless steel....... black stainless steel...... Whens it coming to the UK.

kjr39
Jun 6, 2006, 08:35 AM
In other equally impressive news. I drank coffee today...

jholzner
Jun 6, 2006, 08:37 AM
Boring....

Done before and not received all that well then so why do it now?

Do you actually have proof it didn't do well the first time? I'm assuming it did because they kept it around for a while and even updated it with a color screen. Now they release a video version which would lead me to believe that it was a pretty successful product. I have no interest in it but I assume people must have been buying them or Apple would have dropped it and never brought it back.

Platform
Jun 6, 2006, 08:38 AM
Yawn :rolleyes:

Where are the video iPods with WiFi?

iPhone is suppose to be in the works....:D

ipacmm
....and they couldn't have used any other band, I mean 2 U2 iPods before this and now a third one...you would think Apple would want to switch it up a little but I guess not.

technicolor
Damn I almost broke my neck getting to this post.....

*Reads story
ugh nevermind...

*walks slowly out

Willis
Jun 6, 2006, 08:39 AM
Wondered when they'd re-release it. still wouldnt buy one. If it didnt have the sigs on the back, maybe i would ;)

fixyourthinking
Jun 6, 2006, 08:39 AM
The back has a black finish! I think that's pretty sweet. What's the likelyhood of that trickling down to the regular iPod line?

Can't say I am a fan of the red scrool wheel though.

It's also brushed aluminum ... no more scratches or fingerprints

Jun 6, 2006, 08:40 AM
yawn, boring. I bet itunes 6.0.5 comes out soon though

scottlinux
Jun 6, 2006, 08:41 AM
Does anyone still give a damn about U2?

No kidding. *YAWN* Apple being a trendy company could have found a deal with a better group than this 20 year old band. Does anyone here even like U2?

CommodityFetish
Jun 6, 2006, 08:43 AM

http://www.joinred.com/red.asp

Yeah, now that the tour's over and the album's won its grammys - why not a "RED - Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria" ipod instead of another rehash of the fanboy model? :mad:

Apple probably has some contractual obligation to U2 for their doing that Vertigo iPod commercial. :rolleyes:

drewyboy
Jun 6, 2006, 08:45 AM
Do any of you realize what this means?! The MacBook Pro's when they get Merom might get a form factor change, but most of all, I'm sure they will offer a BLACK MBP! Now that would look freak'n sweet, and way better than the Black MB.

ATG
Jun 6, 2006, 08:45 AM
How come stuff like this gets on Page 1 and MR's birthday gets Page 2?

Chundles
Jun 6, 2006, 08:46 AM
Do you actually have proof it didn't do well the first time? I'm assuming it did because they kept it around for a while and even updated it with a color screen. Now they release a video version which would lead me to believe that it was a pretty successful product. I have no interest in it but I assume people must have been buying them or Apple would have dropped it and never brought it back.

No, no proof, I've just never ever seen one. Ever. Anywhere. Not at Uni, not on my travels in youth hostels, nowhere.

technicolor
Jun 6, 2006, 08:47 AM
No kidding. *YAWN* Apple being a trendy company could have found a deal with a better group than this 20 year old band. Does anyone here even like U2?

I like U2.

I imagine all the people screaming, what U2? who likes U2? why are they relevant? are all under 20.

Yes this ipod is boring, we all are waiting on an upgrade....but that doesnt make U2 not a great band, still.

btfgus
Jun 6, 2006, 08:47 AM
Keep these kind of releases coming Apple. All the way to the touchscreen ipod.

I am holding out until such a release. Bring it on and bring it SOON.:mad:

technicolor
Jun 6, 2006, 08:48 AM
Do any of you realize what this means?! The MacBook Pro's when they get Merom might get a form factor change, but most of all, I'm sure they will offer a BLACK MBP! Now that would look freak'n sweet, and way better than the Black MB.
Oh boy here we go.:rolleyes:

drewyboy
Jun 6, 2006, 08:50 AM
Oh boy here we go.:rolleyes:

Sorry if i sounded a little "going ape", but i think it would just be a nice bto to have it black, or the high end model be black.

MattyMac
Jun 6, 2006, 08:51 AM
I hate those sigs on the back...I still think Im going to stick with the 30gb White iPod video when using the new mac ipod student promotion.

yg17
I like U2.

I imagine all the people screaming, what U2? who likes U2? why are they relevant? are all under 20.

Yes this ipod is boring, we all are waiting on an upgrade....but that doesnt make U2 not a great band, still.
They never were a great band. Not before they got their own iPod, and not after. They're one of the most overrated bands in the history of modern music.

codo
Booo! I want a Madonna iPod! With a Purple click wheel.

millypede
Jun 6, 2006, 08:52 AM
Re-arrange

Old Horse Whip Beating A With

Collin973
Jun 6, 2006, 08:53 AM
Doesn't apple have more important things to make than crayon colored yoohoo ipods...come on...at least pick a band thats not 20 years old... I think they could spend alittle more time fixing the mbs and ps for me so i can buy one soon...

technicolor
Jun 6, 2006, 08:54 AM
They never were a great band. Not before they got their own iPod, and not after. They're one of the most overrated bands in the history of modern music.
Sureeeeeeeeeeeee...:rolleyes:

*looks at your birthday, grabs several grains of salt

bigandy
Jun 6, 2006, 08:56 AM

thankyou for almost making my lunch return for an encore.

netdog
Jun 6, 2006, 08:59 AM

Boy, at the time of its release, was quite an album.

Joshua Tree was pretty good in its day as well.

IMO, neither have aged very well, but at the time they were pretty interesting given what was going on in popular culture and popular music when they were released.

FWIW, I also think that The Edge, his name aside, forged a really nice and unique voice on the electric guitar.

Josias
Jun 6, 2006, 09:01 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzz....

*wakes up, realizes apple made a U2 iPod AGAIN!*

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

No seriously, make a DMB iPod or something like that. I like that shiny finish it got but, that bloody click-wheel ruins the image. It's a little wanna-be ferrari.:p

p0intblank
Jun 6, 2006, 09:02 AM
There's a lot of negativity in this thread... as for me, I think this is great. The U2 iPod was obviously a success, so why not bring it back for those who want one? The rest of us will get our new iPods eventually. Be patient! :)

puckhead193
Jun 6, 2006, 09:03 AM
does anyone know how many u2 ipod they sold from the previous version....
I think i've seen 1 person with one and it was at the genius bar....

snoboardguy21
Jun 6, 2006, 09:03 AM
Well, I'm over 20, and still don't think U2 is very good. Every time I hear them on the radio I think, "hey it's U2, I wonder if this is the one everyone likes..." and then I end up changing the station. They have nothing special to offer.

California
Jun 6, 2006, 09:04 AM
Apple should make is so we could get a MaddonaPod, an ElvisPod, BowiePod, SexPistolsPod, SinatraPod, etc. I could do without the "signed autographs" on the back, tho.

RichP
Jun 6, 2006, 09:05 AM

sound more like a Prince iPod!

This is what it sounds like, when macs cry..

student_trap
Jun 6, 2006, 09:06 AM
now ive been waiting for an all new ipod too, but was thinking of picking up a 5G in the mean time, and i think that this looks really cool, i might pick one up in a couple of months (i really need an ipod with a 40Gig capacity). I just wish it didn't have the signatures on the back!

Scarlet Fever
Jun 6, 2006, 09:07 AM
i want one, but someone else can have the special thing that comes with it and ill rub the sigs off the back. :p

link92
Yeah, now that the tour's over and the album's won its grammys - why not a "RED - Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria" ipod instead of another rehash of the fanboy model? :mad:
The Vertigo Tour isn't over: it was postponed "due to the illness of a close relative of one of the band members" (this is thought to be The Edge's daughter, who has leukaemia).

As for why Apple is doing this again, we all know that it all comes down to what one person likes: Steve Jobs. :D

freeny
Will all my music sound like U2 if played on this?

Chundles
Jun 6, 2006, 09:08 AM

I've held and used more 1G 5GB iPods (with the jog wheel, you know the original one...) than I've seen U2 iPods.

I've held and used 1 original iPod.

mduser63
Jun 6, 2006, 09:09 AM
There's a lot of negativity in this thread... as for me, I think this is great. The U2 iPod was obviously a success, so why not bring it back for those who want one? The rest of us will get our new iPods eventually. Be patient! :)

I'm really glad to see a new U2 iPod as well. My brother has one of the original ones, and I quite like it. If he gets a new iPod, it will almost certainly be a new U2 iPod.

As for all the people complaining that U2 are irrelevant, overrated, etc. That's your opinion. Millions of people disagree. Millions of people think that your favorite bands are overrated and irrelevant. Who cares? U2's sales and continued popularity certainly seem to indicate that your opinion isn't exactly universally held.

DTphonehome
Jun 6, 2006, 09:10 AM

I saw one person with one, walking down the street in Midtown Manhattan. One. Out of the literally tens of thousands I've seen since 2002. A friend of mine considered it, but has almost all the albums anyway (as most fans would), so he saw no reason to pay more and get a coupon to download music in return.

Who in the world is buying these?

iGav
Jun 6, 2006, 09:18 AM
Well seeing as the other thread was closed... might as well repeat it here.

The stuff Bono preaches and what he actually does really doesn't sit well with me at all.

Agent Smith
Jun 6, 2006, 09:21 AM

I do. An all red iPod would be cool too.

redAPPLE
Jun 6, 2006, 09:23 AM
if i have to choose between boy bands (or do they call them boy groups) and U2? U2 anytime.

because it is a slow news day (or week), as a mac enthusiast, i'd be glad to read about anything Apple releases, even they are iPod socks v2.

kingtj
Jun 6, 2006, 09:27 AM
For starters, I think it's lame to re-design the "special U2 edition" iPod, vs. releasing an iPod with a different artist on it instead. I mean, what's the huge deal with U2? Is Bono giving financial kickbacks to Apple that we don't know about?

Second, I never liked the U2 iPod in the first place. I was actually a big U2 fan a long time ago - but their recent stuff is too much like all the other "old guard" rock bands out there. They're still trying to generate some income off the glory of their past. The Eagles? The Rolling Stones? The Who? All going on tours in the next year or so, or have new albums coming out - and in each case, will never again produce a song with the impact and relevance of the work they did earlier that made them great.

I don't think a cutting edge, "think different" Apple music playing device should be closely tied into this type of music. (Apple's advertising people don't seem to really think so either, judging by the music selections they pick to go with the iPod commercials.) I'd expect iPod to be synonymous with exploring new tracks from up-and-coming artists, indie labels, and so on.

CommodityFetish
Jun 6, 2006, 09:30 AM
The Vertigo Tour isn't over: it was postponed "due to the illness of a close relative of one of the band members" (this is thought to be The Edge's daughter, who has leukaemia).

Ah, you're right, but there's less than a month to go on the last leg, so still pretty late in the tour to be bringing back the iPod, IMHO... :confused:

I think Apple should do a RED model. They've cashed in on their quasi-monopoly on the music front, <takes cover behind couch from incoming flames> and could stand to give some back. It wouldn't hurt their image on this front either...

Hey, it's worked for Bill Gates right? ;)

http://www.joinred.com/ ... even as flawed as this corporate tie-in inevitably is :rolleyes:

Savage Henry
Jun 6, 2006, 09:34 AM

The stuff Bono preaches and what he actually does really doesn't sit well with me at all.

Are there rules for that kinda thing round here ...;) Although I do agree with you ... in both posts.

I doubt anyone would have cared less if Apple decided to drop it from the line entirely. I've only ever seen them in display cabinets, in a pristine condition thats untampered by fingerprints or consumer interest.

hattey
Jun 6, 2006, 09:35 AM

I think they will find that the only reason this product did so well last time is because there were no black iPods besides it back in the day. Now you can get your black fix without band garbage all over it.

U2 is turning into one of those bands that just wont go away.

Sounds like apple needs some new blood in their advertising dept.

hellodon
Jun 6, 2006, 09:36 AM
bono is so lame. I want a new iPod, not a different color/U2 model. U2 doesnt deserve their own ipod.

CommodityFetish
Jun 6, 2006, 09:37 AM
I don't think a cutting edge, "think different" Apple music playing device should be closely tied into this type of music. (Apple's advertising people don't seem to really think so either, judging by the music selections they pick to go with the iPod commercials.) I'd expect iPod to be synonymous with exploring new tracks from up-and-coming artists, indie labels, and so on.

Except for the iPod ad where U2 was actually in the ad... ;)
Has any other artist actually been in an ad?

(Ok, must get back to work...)

tacoboy42
Jun 6, 2006, 09:39 AM
do these sell outs really need anymore money?

Abstract
Jun 6, 2006, 09:39 AM
No, no proof, I've just never ever seen one. Ever. Anywhere. Not at Uni, not on my travels in youth hostels, nowhere.

Me neither.

I really detest the man. His work (even his non-music related work) is a bit hyped and overrated, and the man is trying to help the 3rd world while wearing one of his 30 pairs of $1000 sunglasses, which he wears 24 hours per day because he's vain and looks very uncool without them.

Come on, Apple. Pick someone cool. You even had Kanye West to perform at a keynote. He's not cool, but is much better than U2.

DTphonehome
Jun 6, 2006, 09:43 AM

Sure, Eminem for one.

DTphonehome
Jun 6, 2006, 09:44 AM
Posted a poll to see if anyone is actually buying these things:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=206939

JackSYi
Jun 6, 2006, 09:50 AM
This would be boring news. BUT. New Stainless steel, black enclosure?!

mystereo
Jun 6, 2006, 09:50 AM
Sounds like a good business idea. Make protective cases with their likeness. Of course you have to get permission first. Still a good idea though.

Apple should make is so we could get a MaddonaPod, an ElvisPod, BowiePod, SexPistolsPod, SinatraPod, etc. I could do without the "signed autographs" on the back, tho.

crdean1
Jun 6, 2006, 09:52 AM
Me neither.

I really detest the man. His work (even his non-music related work) is a bit hyped and overrated, and the man is trying to help the 3rd world while wearing one of his 30 pairs of $1000 sunglasses, which he wears 24 hours per day because he's vain and looks very uncool without them.

Come on, Apple. Pick someone cool. You even had Kanye West to perform at a keynote. He's not cool, but is much better than U2.

There is a lot of negativity of what Bono says and does. The thing is, he may have 30 pair of $1000 sunglasses (many of which Bvulgari (sp?) has given him), but he has done much more than just donate. His band mates have even said that the band has had some tension because of Bono's passion to help Africa. His DATA foundation and he himself have done much, much more than me, you or anyone else in this forum (please correct me if you have done more than Bono for Africa) and I think we should all salute him. I am a fan of U2, although it is not my favorite band, but more a fan of Bono and his passion for the people of Africa. So he is a rock star and wears cool sunglasses, that shouldn't overshadow the fact that he is the only rock star that has the ear of heads of state, presidents, and politicians alike. He has worked hard for that influence, and it has paid off in raising awareness and increased US participation in trade and relief in Africa. I would say that is progress, you?

Oh, yeah, and I don't like the U2 iPod.

Eluon
well I guess the good news about this whole thing is:

this is a product. not life. not life altering. we don't have to buy it. we don't even have to go to its little informational page to look at it. some people must be buying it, because they'd drop it if it wasn't bring in the money.

bono has some issues and lacks a lot of "tact" i guess on somethings... but i never knew people liked music based upon the personal/public life of the band members. at least he's trying to do some good.

if you don't want the product, don't buy it. if you think it's ugly, don't look at it. plain and simple. life goes on, we can breathe!

Steven1621

though i am not a fan, i believe U2 is considered one of the most popular touring bands on the planet. it is no suprise that apple would use U2. however in light of the previous mediocore success, i wonder what other motives apple has with this release.

Leoff
Jun 6, 2006, 10:01 AM
Oh, screw U2!!! Where in the hell is my Dexy's Midnight Runners special edition iPod?!?

network23
Jun 6, 2006, 10:07 AM
A co-worker of mine bought one. He's in a band himself when he's not coding. So, I've seen one in the wild.

Kardashian
Jun 6, 2006, 10:11 AM

Awesome Idea! I'd buy 3! :D

iGav
Jun 6, 2006, 10:15 AM
Are there rules for that kinda thing round here ...;)

I don't give two monkeys if there are... it needed saying. And it needed to be reiterated after the other thread was closed. heh.

It's easy to preach and pontificate about dropping the debt in one hand, whilst you're clutching the readdies from corporate sponsorship deals from tat like the U2 iPod (or iPod U2 whatever it's f**kin' called) in the other.

Although I do agree with you ... in both posts.

heheh.

Counter
Jun 6, 2006, 10:26 AM
Booooooooooring. Nobody cares. Dino$aur arena rock, snoreeeeeee

DaveClarkOne
Jun 6, 2006, 10:29 AM
I was prepared to wait 5 hours at the Apple Store to be sure to claim my collector U2 iPod, but now I'm thinking I only have to get there an hour before they open....

Frankly, a Britney Spears iPod in Pink would have probably captured more interest...

amateurmacfreak
Jun 6, 2006, 10:33 AM
That would be awesome.
I like your logic, even if it IS far-fetched: ;) :)

ro2nie
Jun 6, 2006, 10:33 AM
I voted for "Totally pointless"
yawn....
Where is the iPhone? come on apple...

bowzer
Jun 6, 2006, 10:34 AM
Man is it ever ugly... bright red = yuck

kddpop
Jun 6, 2006, 10:36 AM

yup. wynton marsalis.

nxent
Jun 6, 2006, 10:38 AM

yeh,,, didn't somone say the back of the ipod have a black finish? maybe they're 'testing the waters' for ipod changes as whole and maybe all the ipods will get a black finish, and eventually more of they're product line. so i'd like to think...

Dunepilot
Jun 6, 2006, 10:41 AM
Shame they didn't have a special media event for this. It's a fun, new product, after all:rolleyes:

<-Cocks the trigger and puts the gun into his mouth

gugy
Jun 6, 2006, 10:43 AM
Look everyone. I realize that some of us have nothing better to do then hate on everything. But come on, if you guys just got laid once in a while your lives would be so much fuller. So Apple started selling the U2 iPod again. Great! So if you don't like it don't buy it. Life is too short to always spend your time bitching about something. If you spent as much time on your own lives as you do on bitching about what Apple did or didn't do you could have moved out of your parent’s basement already. So let it go, make some real friends and get laid once and a while and life will be a whole lot better. :cool:

Hahahaha, That's so true NeoMac!:D

Most of the U2 haters here have no clue. They must be teenagers on puberty or just people who has nothing happening in their lives.

U2 a crap band? what a bullc**p statement. One on the best bands in the world, one of the top 6 rock bands of all time and people don't get that. I think they rather enjoy the current bands that release a single and then disappear on the dust. Talk about consistency. 25 years of great songs and just won 5 Grammy's on their last album. That's U2 for you.

I agree that the Ipod U2 seems strange to come back. But so what. If you don't like then don't buy it.

come on guys, get a life.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jun 6, 2006, 10:48 AM

Exactly. Personally, I saw them all the time. Apple wouldn't have brought it back if it wasn't a successful product...and who knows, maybe they'll throw a couple ads out there for it too (on tv).

amateurmacfreak
Jun 6, 2006, 10:50 AM
Look everyone. I realize that some of us have nothing better to do then hate on everything. But come on, if you guys just got laid once in a while your lives would be so much fuller. So Apple started selling the U2 iPod again. Great! So if you don't like it don't buy it. Life is too short to always spend your time bitching about something. If you spent as much time on your own lives as you do on bitching about what Apple did or didn't do you could have moved out of your parent’s basement already. So let it go, make some real friends and get laid once and a while and life will be a whole lot better. :cool:
If you want to listen to a bunch of lifeless people who have never gotten laid and still live at home tear each other apart in their attempts to be masculine go over to some Windows gaming forums. :cool: That stereotype's really stupid, anyways, on any forums. You can't just judge someone as a bitter person b/c they complain about a new product release on an Apple message board.
Now, of course, I have never been laid and still live @ home b/c I am 13. :cool:

Vinnie_vw
Jun 6, 2006, 10:51 AM

I'm still waiting for the Red Hot Chilli Pepper iPod :D

nagromme
Jun 6, 2006, 10:55 AM
A little weird, but harmless. I don't find it upsetting if Apple wants to offer this option to people.

It does suggest that the iPod-with-video won't be replaced with a new generation any time soon. (Though additional models could be added to the lineup, or capacities could change. And the nano or shuffle could still change.)

PS, I do like U2.

amateurmacfreak
Jun 6, 2006, 10:55 AM
I think that band iPods are lame.
I think this product is boring, but U2's a good band and although Bono and his rock star status makes him seem a hypocrite sometimes, overall I think he has done a lot of good for Africa.
Overall: Boring product release, we all want something new and exciting, and we don't need to start attacking U2 necessarily b/c music tastes definitely vary

EDIT: I think the black back is fairly cool. I hope they make that an option in the future but not standard.

weitzner
Jun 6, 2006, 11:00 AM
I don't give two monkeys if there are... it needed saying. And it needed to be reiterated after the other thread was closed. heh.
heheh.

do you actually have 2 monkeys??

anyway...

where the hell is the red hot chili peppers iPod?!?!?! They said they were going to release one.. and well, it hasnt been released. what's going on apple!?!

celebrian23
Jun 6, 2006, 11:09 AM
Boo! Why is a compnay that prides itself on being young and hip doing another ipod for a band who's career is past its prime? I'm not excited at all. I think it's a mistake to do an ipod that is so sppecific- no one but a fan would be interested

efoto
Jun 6, 2006, 11:10 AM
where the hell is the red hot chili peppers iPod?!?!?! They said they were going to release one.. and well, it hasnt been released. what's going on apple!?!

*cough* DMB *cough*

I still wouldn't buy that, but it would at least be cool for Apple to show support for talented bands....oh, other talented bands I mean :rolleyes:

The new enclosure is cool, that's about the only reason to even flinch at this....

no one but a fan would be interested

They wouldn't be interested either, a fan would already have all of the music and who wants to stand out even more with a black/red iPod....the white ones are just becoming mainstream so they aren't pick-pocketed nightly, oh here look at me! black and red rulz! *shakes head*

RichP
Jun 6, 2006, 11:12 AM
Damn, everyone must be very collectively bored...

...this wasnt a huge release that Apple hyped with a media event. They simply released another version of the same ipod they have had. This wasnt a huge strain on Apple design resources; and, because it came late to the game compared to the rest of the 5G iPods, there probably was some sort of consumer demand to continue to produce them.

Everyone relax, Frankie says relax.. I think we need a Frankie Goes to Hollywood iPod too...

And yes, I am a U2 fan.

swingerofbirch
Jun 6, 2006, 11:13 AM
They missed a big opportunity to make it a RED product, as in:

http://www.joinred.com/products.asp

LordJohnWhorfin
Jun 6, 2006, 11:13 AM
Where's the "Eric the Midget tied to a weather balloon" special edition iPod? Hmmm? Hmmm? Now that's a special edition iPod I'd buy. U2? Bleh. Once you've heard the Muzak version of "Sunday, Bloody Sunday", you can't possibly take them seriously anymore.

Edge100
Jun 6, 2006, 11:19 AM

I'd say the millions of people they played to this year all around the world like them just fine.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jun 6, 2006, 11:20 AM
Eesh, is it just me or could Apple use a bit of a website redesign???

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?nnmm=ipod&mco=ACFD398

Is that busy or what?

A few months back I think it was Apple Insider that said Apple was working on a new website layout. Now would be the time to put it into use...:D

Seasought
Jun 6, 2006, 11:22 AM
U2, bleh.

rubberduck007
Jun 6, 2006, 11:26 AM
Oh, screw U2!!! Where in the hell is my Dexy's Midnight Runners special edition iPod?!?

i'm with you fella - check this out!!

http://www.questdesign.co.uk/dexy/dexy.html

Eniregnat
Jun 6, 2006, 11:28 AM
There may be more to this than we are aware of. Aside from appealing to the ageing core of U2 lovers (30 somethings of today), there may be a few other reasons. U2 has a good ethical stance, and Apple may be associate it's self with them. Jobs loves U2, and as long as the promotion costs Apple no money in the end, it really isn't something that Apple's share holders can argue against. Lastly, we don't know exactly where the proceeds are going. U2 is donating the proceeds, I would guess, and perhaps Apple is also do it, and for what ever reason not publicizing it- yet.

It may also be capitalizing on an agreement that Apple struck ages ago. It may have cost Apple nothing, as it may have been part of the agreement that Apple struck with U2 before.

Though I have to admit, that some pretty young woman with sex appeal or a boy band branding agreement would have made more money and been more news worthy. But would we have thought Apple was cool for choosing some vapid yapping idiots to be co-branded with Apple. There are thoes that might think Apple has done this, but not me.

j83com
Jun 6, 2006, 11:31 AM
Lame, lame, lame.
I want a G6.

puuukeey
Jun 6, 2006, 11:31 AM
if you want to talk to world leaders, take off those stupid glasses.

nuff said

Stella
Jun 6, 2006, 11:32 AM
Makes sense to update the iPod to the latest.

I'm sure there will be willing buyers - otherwise Apple wouldn't bother.

gugy
Jun 6, 2006, 11:36 AM

nuff said

I doesn't seem that Bono and his stupid glasses are having any problem talking to world leaders. :rolleyes:

moot
Jun 6, 2006, 11:39 AM

I saw one just this week. This lady was trying to get it fixed at the Genius Bar while I was their for my iBook.

jihad the movie
Jun 6, 2006, 11:47 AM
I have a U2 iPod (Photo) and I think U2 is pretty much played out right now. I never really liked them to begin with, I feel that they are long in the tooth. However, I like the color scheme, so I buffed off the stupid signatures on the back of mine.

Fuchal
Jun 6, 2006, 11:47 AM
I want a Super Furry Animals iPod. :D

mmmcheese
Jun 6, 2006, 11:50 AM
You guys of course realise that U2 approached Apple, and not the other way around. U2 also doesn't charge Apple royalties, or a fee or anything like that to use them in advertising. Other than iTMS sales, they don't make anything off of it.

It could be that no other bands are interested, or willing to do it for nothing.

2nyRiggz
Jun 6, 2006, 12:07 PM
This is why they released it in silence.....cause noone really cares...Boring

Bless

ThomasJefferson
Jun 6, 2006, 12:10 PM
How, utterly boring.
How, "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt"

How, G3 Pismo.:eek:

jaydub
Jun 6, 2006, 12:15 PM
What a waste of a perfectly good special edition iPod. It looks better suited for the White Stripes than for U2. I'm curious if Apple didn't get stuck with a contract for more than one U2 iPod and they filled their part of the bargain quietly because it really wouldn't receive much fanfare anyway.

killmoms
Jun 6, 2006, 12:16 PM
Bwaha! I love how people are suggesting that the U2 iPod be dropped, because U2 is "way past their prime," and then suggesting a Dave Matthews Band iPod. Did you even LISTEN to "Stand Up?" If EVER there was a textbook case of "way the **** past their prime," that's it.

Let's face it, U2 is still releasing albums that sell millions, touring successfully, and Steve Jobs likes them. So... U2 iPod. Not that surprising.

I mean, I'd like to see a "The Decemberists" iPod (made of wood with the signatures individually carved by each band member, Colin Meloy's would be an X) or a Sigur Rós iPod (so ethereal, it occasionally falls right through your hand) as much as the next music snob. But that doesn't sell enough to make Apple money. They are a business, that's what it comes down to.

JAT
Jun 6, 2006, 12:28 PM
How about a real question? Er, more than one. Probably can't be answered today, though.

Is this different from the others? Aren't the others metal back and plastic front? Is the U2 all metal? Will this be less of a scratching issue compared to the standard black iPod?

calculus
Jun 6, 2006, 12:28 PM
i don't like U2 at all but you know it's not compulsary to buy a U2 iPod.

ccrandall77
Jun 6, 2006, 12:30 PM
Take these crappy U2 iPods, toss a pentagram on the click wheel and rebrand them as the Slayer iPod... esp since today is 6/6/06!!!

Jovian9
Jun 6, 2006, 12:31 PM

nuff said

At least give them the respect they deserve and look at them eye-to-eye without the glasses.

DJ OJ
Jun 6, 2006, 12:35 PM
I Like the U2 iPod.I am glad they brought it back!:D

MrCrowbar
Jun 6, 2006, 12:37 PM
All white, gold on the back and the King's signature in glitter. I think that one would sell better than a U2 iPod. There are more Elvis fans than U2 fans out there, right?

jaydub
Jun 6, 2006, 12:38 PM
How about a real question? Er, more than one. Probably can't be answered today, though.

Is this different from the others? Aren't the others metal back and plastic front? Is the U2 all metal? Will this be less of a scratching issue compared to the standard black iPod?
Honestly if people are that worried about scratching, they should buy an aftermarket case and be done with it. Anything you carry in your pocket to this extent gets scratched.

Jovian9
Jun 6, 2006, 12:39 PM
McDonalds has sold billions of hamburgers but that doesn't make them one of the top 5 hamburgers of all time.................

Most people naturally like what they are told to like. Whether it is via advertising or radio pounding it into their skulls til they can't get it out. That is what U2's music has become (other than the 80's albums). The same thing repeated over and over so the previous fans like it....and hopefully some new fans b/c they hear it enough. The sound is the same. The band is the same. So if you are a U2 fan, why not like it again?

Sales DO NOT = greatness

I could care less if Apple has a U2 iPod......but there's no way I'll buy one.....and I've never seen anybody with one. I've spent plenty of money on U2 stuff in the past, only to be disappointed. And I'm closer to 30 years old....so do not assume I'm a teenager b/c I cannot stand U2.

Where there's a good cause, Bono is near..............as long as there are also cameras and reporters :)

swingerofbirch
Jun 6, 2006, 01:01 PM
Some people need to wear sunglasses for chronically dilated eyes--I do. I don't know if it is the case with Bono, but I don't see the big deal about it, maybe it's generational, although he's not in my generation...lol.

No one seemed to notice my post about Product Red ( http://www.joinred.com ).

I think it's really strange that a product with red associated with Bono is not part of this project. If iPod U2 were a red product it would make a LOT more sense, and would compel me to buy one over a regular iPod even with the slightly higher price.

EDIT: The sunglasses are apparently not a problem as Bono was able to get Rick Santorum and Jesse Helms and Bush to push through the largest AIDS funding package in the history of the US ($15 billion), all while wearing sunglasses that he is now selling to raise more funds for AIDS. Don't be a hater.

pcortez
Jun 6, 2006, 01:03 PM
Stop being so negative everyone.
U2 and Apple have a good relationship; I'm personally not a fan of the U2 iPod, and that's why I won't be buying it; it's that simple. Doesn't mean I have to trash it; It obviously did well in the past to be introduced again, and if it fails, no one who didn't buy it gets hurt, and those who bought it, most likely will love theirs.

It's just apple's way of keeping us at macrumors busy til the new nanos in August/September.

luminosity
Jun 6, 2006, 01:05 PM
Bono wears sunglasses as often as he does because he has sensitive eyes (much more so than the average person, I believe). In other words, it's a medical thing.

As for making judgments on U2 based on radio play, please consider how much airplay your favorite bands get with their best work. It's usually just the pop stuff or singles, even though your favorites are often the lesser-known stuff.

Same with U2. If anyone thinks they're lite-rock only, please listen to Achtung Baby and Pop (mofo in particular).

Thank you.

Where there's a good cause, Bono is near..............as long as there are also cameras and reporters

There sure are a lot of cameras around in Africa, aren't there?

Or not.

jaydub
Jun 6, 2006, 01:06 PM
Bono wears sunglasses as often as he does because he has sensitive eyes (much more so than the average person, I believe). In other words, it's a medical thing.If Bono's sunglasses are a medical thing, then I'd assume that Paris Hilton is allergic to normal lighting in a dark room and as such can only be seen under night-vision camera mode.

gugy
Jun 6, 2006, 01:09 PM
McDonalds has sold billions of hamburgers but that doesn't make them one of the top 5 hamburgers of all time.................

Most people naturally like what they are told to like. Whether it is via advertising or radio pounding it into their skulls til they can't get it out. That is what U2's music has become (other than the 80's albums). The same thing repeated over and over so the previous fans like it....and hopefully some new fans b/c they hear it enough. The sound is the same. The band is the same. So if you are a U2 fan, why not like it again?

Sales DO NOT = greatness

I could care less if Apple has a U2 iPod......but there's no way I'll buy one.....and I've never seen anybody with one. I've spent plenty of money on U2 stuff in the past, only to be disappointed. And I'm closer to 30 years old....so do not assume I'm a teenager b/c I cannot stand U2.

Where there's a good cause, Bono is near..............as long as there are also cameras and reporters :)

what a bunch of crap.

If you don not like U2 is fine. but sounds is the same? band is the same. They keep reinventing themselves in albums like achtung baby and How to dismantle...., is a proof of that.
I give them credit for keeping creating good music for so many years, while other bands have only their 15 minutes of fame.

As for Bono just going after the spotlight for a good cause is just ridiculous. The guy deserve all the credit for helping so many people and using his fame for something good. Many important people from head of states to international organizations acknowledge that, so you opinion on this issue is just worthless.

luminosity
Jun 6, 2006, 01:11 PM
Haven't you heard that stars aren't allowed to push their causes or help people? If they do, they're just camera hogs.

The same thing repeated over and over so the previous fans like it....and hopefully some new fans b/c they hear it enough.

Oh yes, stuff from Boy sure sounds like stuff from Pop (actually, i will follow and Mofo are both about bono's mother).

whmees
Jun 6, 2006, 01:13 PM
i don't really care about the u2 ipod (though most previous comments apply).

however, for all those people out there glorifying bono for his charitable work, get over yourselves. this man earns, what, millions and millions? when you have that much money, you don't have to work. you can afford to spend time flying around trying to get people to save a continent that's pretty much rotting from within (ironically, most likely from the imperialism bono's country took part in). yeah, kudos to him for spending his time doing that, but it's nothing special. if you had nothing to do, and had a generous streak, you'd probably do the same.

i fear the day when people look back and wish more bands sounded like u2.

quigleybc
Jun 6, 2006, 01:17 PM
Damn, everyone must be very collectively bored...

...this wasnt a huge release that Apple hyped with a media event. They simply released another version of the same ipod they have had.

Ya, seriously.

What's the big deal? Posts about Bono and his charity efforts, and U2 being a bad band...? I thought this thread was about an iPod....a rereleased iPod at that...

Now, if this was hyped as a "big deal" then I guess there would be cause for complaint...but it's just a teeny tiny product release, whoopty do....not sure it's even front page news, let alone a long thread with a ton of angry posts....

nothing to see here, move on....

gugy
Jun 6, 2006, 01:19 PM

however, for all those people out there glorifying bono for his charitable work, get over yourselves. this man earns, what, millions and millions? when you have that much money, you don't have to work. you can afford to spend time flying around trying to get people to save a continent that's pretty much rotting from within (ironically, most likely from the imperialism bono's country took part in). yeah, kudos to him for spending his time doing that, but it's nothing special. if you had nothing to do, and had a generous streak, you'd probably do the same.

I give Bono more credit for doing something than you that just sit around on this forum and probably never helped anybody. That same applies for me as well.

He is guy with all the money in the world, that could easily sit around and spend his fortune and careless for anything else. instead he
is out there creating good music and helping others.

Kardashian
Jun 6, 2006, 01:21 PM
Some of you people are pathetic, and come on these forums simply to upset and cause trouble.

I'm a teenager, and I think theres a few U2 songs that are OK. I'm not anywhere near ''fan'' status.. I could name you 4 songs, if that?

If you don't like U2 and/or the U2 iPod - don't post. I'm not exactly jumping with glee that there's another U2 iPod - I'm not a fan myself.

Upsetting people isn't going to turn the U2 iPod into a Madonna, Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Video, whatever-pod.

The video iPod will be here in time - just wait.

And slagging off Bono for his eyewear isn't goin to speed up the process, either. Apple have chosen U2 for a purpose, and created the U2 iPod. I for one love it, not for U2, but for the colours, and its more readily available than a black and red one from say ColorWare.

Stop your bitchin' and whingin'.

gugy
Jun 6, 2006, 01:22 PM
Ya, seriously.

What's the big deal? Posts about Bono and his charity efforts, and U2 being a bad band...? I thought this thread was about an iPod....a rereleased iPod at that...

Now, if this was hyped as a "big deal" then I guess there would be cause for complaint...but it's just a teeny tiny product release, whoopty do....not sure it's even front page news, let alone a long thread with a ton of angry posts....

you are so right, just thread is just so stupid by now.

nsjoker
Jun 6, 2006, 01:22 PM
i hate to be a music *******, but U2 is not a good band. very bland, mundane, and average. just because they've been around forever doesn't mean their music is good :/

bassman
Jun 6, 2006, 01:25 PM
If the U2 iPod didn't have a chance of selling, Apple would think hard about putting it out. I think most people who buy it will buy it because it's different from the current line up("think different"), not because they like U2. And if Steve can give props to one of his favorite bands in the process, sure. Like mentioned before, I think we will see some the cosmetic ideas start to work into other apple products.

Some_Big_Spoon
Jun 6, 2006, 01:26 PM
You must be new here.. No, wait, you're not! :-)

The only thing interesting about this thing is that they bothered to update it at all. Maybe they're contractually obligated, maybe U2 donates all the royalties, maybe Apple's just trying out some new gear (black stainless steel) to see if the boat floats.

The ipod's not interesting in and of itself, no. But guessing what it means is fun :-)

Ya, seriously.

Essefgy
Jun 6, 2006, 01:28 PM
Man oh man. I guess you guys are pissed you haven't bashed the Beatles in a month, so now you have to spew your negativity and ignorance about U2.

macenforcer
Jun 6, 2006, 01:28 PM
U2 sucks. They were ok back in like 1985.

Lets see a snoop dog version with naked ladies etched in the back. Now that would sell. :)

Kardashian
Jun 6, 2006, 01:31 PM
U2 sucks. They were ok back in like 1985.

Lets see a snoop dog version with naked ladies etched in the back. Now that would sell. :)

'Cos that can appeal to all ages. :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Snoop - but hes not exactly a role model, nor does he have as-wide appeal as one of the more reputable artists/bands such as U2 etc. A lot more people of all ages could relate to U2, but not so much Snoop Dogg.

wangagat
Jun 6, 2006, 01:35 PM
hey guys, just thought of something.

what if this came up in order to help Apple liquidate stock of the 5G iPods (just rebadge them as U2 iPods) to make room for a new generation.

comment #1 : don't know if this makes sense from a manufacturing point of vue... just a thought.

comment #2: sorry if this has been mentionned before. dont have time to read all the posts.

Dan the Mac man

luminosity
Jun 6, 2006, 01:41 PM
i hate to be a music *******, but U2 is not a good band. very bland, mundane, and average. just because they've been around forever doesn't mean their music is good :/

I'd bet 30 dollars that you've never listened to more than one or two tracks from Achtung Baby, and probably none at all.

jdesilet
Jun 6, 2006, 01:56 PM
hey guys, just thought of something.

what if this came up in order to help Apple liquidate stock of the 5G iPods (just rebadge them as U2 iPods) to make room for a new generation.

comment #1 : don't know if this makes sense from a manufacturing point of vue... just a thought.

comment #2: sorry if this has been mentionned before. dont have time to read all the posts.

Dan the Mac man

I was just about to post this. It seriously suprised me when no one else thought of this, as it seems like this is the most obvious explanation for why Apple would release a rehashed U2 ipod. Generate some new sales, blow out the inventory of components from the current ipods so they can begin production of the true video ipods.

gugy
Jun 6, 2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks, Now this thread is making more sense.
So tired of the U2/Bono bashing.

It could be true. i believe by summers end we could see the new video ipod.

wangagat
Jun 6, 2006, 02:13 PM
I was just about to post this. It seriously suprised me when no one else thought of this, as it seems like this is the most obvious explanation for why Apple would release a rehashed U2 ipod. Generate some new sales, blow out the inventory of components from the current ipods so they can begin production of the true video ipods.

right, although honestly, I don't know how much help it will be, seeing how the U2s don't seem to be all that popular. :p

personally, I'm holding off buying a nano until the next update, cause if they get 5G video capabilities, I would hate to have bought one today.

nemaslov
Jun 6, 2006, 02:22 PM
You'd think that anyone who wnated a U2 iPod would have gotten one already. They shoudl have done another special edition with another artist. Maybe after the negotiations and final settlements they'll do a Beatles iPod....or A Vanilla Ice Pod :)

LaMerVipere
Jun 6, 2006, 02:24 PM
Ridiculous. There has to be almost zero market for this piece of crap.

milo
Jun 6, 2006, 02:26 PM
HOW DARE APPLE CHARGE MORE JUST FOR COLOR!

/notes the lack of complaining, way to go with the double standard, guys

Nermal
Jun 6, 2006, 02:30 PM
I wasn't expecting this. :confused:

Gah! I was, and I forgot to post about it :(

Caitlyn
Jun 6, 2006, 02:30 PM
Quote on quote: "Meh, where's my 8GB Nano or video iPod?"

All I have to say. :D I really think the U2 iPod is unnecessary.

CmdrLaForge
Jun 6, 2006, 02:31 PM

Definitly - its the greatest band out there....

BUT - why now??? I expect an update to the entire line every minute (tuesday) So why now another U2 iPod on that outdated iPod model?

Grrrrrrr. Come on guys - release the next version and make then an artist model.

bassman
Jun 6, 2006, 02:43 PM
Ridiculous. There has to be almost zero market for this piece of crap.

What year where you born? '86? Believe it or not, there are people older than you that do listen to U2, and that buy U2 music, and would be interested in a U2 iPod. Me being one of them, if I didn't already have a 5G iPod.

BOOMBA
Jun 6, 2006, 02:45 PM
In other equally impressive news. I drank coffee today...

WHAT KIND!?!?
Don't toy with us!

sam10685
Jun 6, 2006, 02:52 PM
i want a 40 gig LOW-end ipod.

Fuchal
Jun 6, 2006, 02:53 PM
HOW DARE APPLE CHARGE MORE JUST FOR COLOR!

/notes the lack of complaining, way to go with the double standard, guys

You get a stupid video, too, for your extra money.

MacDonaldsd
Jun 6, 2006, 03:01 PM
Im a big U2 fan still wouldnt even think of buying one

rsmc77
Jun 6, 2006, 03:03 PM

haaaa! So I guess if you were a multi millionaire you would probably spend your time in Africa involving yourself in their problems of starvation and the aids epidemic, talking to world leaders and taking part in political matters? Yeah, sounds like fun to me. I think I might kick back on my private yacht away from the paparazzi and cruise around the world while relaxing poolside sipping on my favorite beverage... only awaiting to pull up to the next perfect surfable wave around the corner. Somehow, being in a place with flies buzzing around your face in the heat of the day in a starving village doesn't really sound like something I would want to do... and probably NOT you either if you were someone in Bono's position. So get real and quit talking bad about someone doing something not you or most people do.

oh yeah... and about the ipod being U2, it's a fitting band for apple to be affiliated with. So what if you don't like their music people, you probably listen to music that others would think sucks too, but overall, U2 has WORLDWIDE appeal. No doubt someone would complain about any single band that got an ipod. It's definitely news I don't care about either... so save it and don't buy it and start doing something about starvation in Africa before you talk bad about Bono.

sam10685
Jun 6, 2006, 03:10 PM
Im a big U2 fan still wouldnt even think of buying one

same here... U2 rocks, these are butt-ugly.

gugy
Jun 6, 2006, 03:16 PM
so save it and don't buy it and start doing something about starvation in Africa before you talk bad about Bono.

Thanks rsmc77,

I just hate ignorant people like whmees that doesn't think before they write on this forum.
If you don't like U2 fine, but bashing someone who's doing hard work for a good cause just piss me off.
One good example is Bill Gates. I hate Windows and Microsoft, But I give him credit and applause for helping and donating so much money for good causes.

Just use common sense people.

spyderracer393
Jun 6, 2006, 03:17 PM
I like U2.

actually, I am 14 and U2 is one of my favorite bands.

macenforcer
Jun 6, 2006, 03:26 PM
haaaa! So I guess if you were a multi millionaire you would probably spend your time in Africa involving yourself in their problems of starvation and the aids epidemic, talking to world leaders and taking part in political matters? Yeah, sounds like fun to me. I think I might kick back on my private yacht away from the paparazzi and cruise around the world while relaxing poolside sipping on my favorite beverage... only awaiting to pull up to the next perfect surfable wave around the corner. Somehow, being in a place with flies buzzing around your face in the heat of the day in a starving village doesn't really sound like something I would want to do... and probably NOT you either if you were someone in Bono's position. So get real and quit talking bad about someone doing something not you or most people do.

oh yeah... and about the ipod being U2, it's a fitting band for apple to be affiliated with. So what if you don't like their music people, you probably listen to music that others would think sucks too, but overall, U2 has WORLDWIDE appeal. No doubt someone would complain about any single band that got an ipod. It's definitely news I don't care about either... so save it and don't buy it and start doing something about starvation in Africa before you talk bad about Bono.

U2 sucks and so does Africa.

amacgenius
Jun 6, 2006, 03:31 PM
If they didn't have the signatures on the back, I would have bought the 4g U2 iPod also, but I just don't want signatures on my iPod eventhough I keep my photo in it's case I just don't want it bothering me.

I would possibly buy one, but I'd have to see them in person first.

amacgenius
Jun 6, 2006, 03:32 PM

You should possibly add some substance to your reply so people don't think you're incompetent of forming a valid argument.

Electro Funk
Jun 6, 2006, 03:46 PM
Where's the "Eric the Midget tied to a weather balloon" special edition iPod? Hmmm? Hmmm? Now that's a special edition iPod I'd buy. U2? Bleh. Once you've heard the Muzak version of "Sunday, Bloody Sunday", you can't possibly take them seriously anymore.

you mean "eric the actor" ? :D

jTreu
Jun 6, 2006, 03:47 PM
i want a Phish iPod or DMB iPod not a U2 iPod

nemaslov
Jun 6, 2006, 03:53 PM
just give me an 80 or 100GB iPod!!! It has been forever since a storage upgrade!!!:p

brap
Jun 6, 2006, 03:54 PM
Haha, U2.

Insipid tripe. Steve, keep living the dream!

frogbat
Jun 6, 2006, 04:02 PM
i'm a huge u2 fan and actually own the original

i didn't mind payin extra cos i got it cheaper from the US and still saved if i had bought a white one locally.

it was practical too as i wouldnt' have gotten it mixed up with my colleagues' and actually in spite of being a huge fan of the classic white and was iffy about the red clickwheel - when i held it in my hands it did it for me. much better looking than the PR pics.

otherwise if any1 doesn't like u2 or bono then that's their prerogative. They prolly dislike any great band and any good music and prolly listen to good charlotte. And have 6 toes.

ModestPenguin
Jun 6, 2006, 04:02 PM
i want a Phish iPod or DMB iPod not a U2 iPod

ahhhhh phish! -sob- I miss thee....

NOw what i want is a shuffle redesign, using the black stainless steel....yummy:p

macenforcer
Jun 6, 2006, 04:17 PM
Bring on the brown chewbacca Star wars 60gb ipod and the yoda ipod nano please, IN GREEN!

OR

- built in FM radio
- XM radio built in
- 100gb drive
- 640x480 video
- a speaker
- removable battery
- touch screen
- SCRATCH RESISTANT
- SD SLOT

technicolor
Jun 6, 2006, 04:45 PM
You should possibly add some substance to your reply so people don't think you're incompetent of forming a valid argument.
or being a racist prick.

Counter
Jun 6, 2006, 05:03 PM
U2 are one of the least creative bands to ever exist.

They found a sound and have shafted it for all it's worth since their inception. They will continue doing so for as long as they can. Churning out hit after hit, all with the same sound they have been humping since birth.

Should they try to actually come up with something new, the album would get poor reviews and die hard fans would be like "hmm, didn't quite get this album....but they will be back!"

iPod? OH! iPod!

I think any special edition iPod for a certain band is going to have a lameness element to it.

Unless it's a special edition Sheryl Crow iPod, then I don't care. Every day is a lithium battery, gets a little bit weakerrrrr.

jaysmith
Jun 6, 2006, 05:09 PM
I like U2.

so are most of the people who buy ipods.

luminosity
Jun 6, 2006, 05:20 PM
They found a sound and have shafted it for all it's worth since their inception. They will continue doing so for as long as they can. Churning out hit after hit, all with the same sound they have been humping since birth.

Is that why their 1980s music sounds so different from their 1990s work, and why there is a distinct divide within U2 fandom as to which era fans prefer?

Most people who make these ignorant statements know little to nothing about U2's work.

appleguy
Jun 6, 2006, 05:34 PM
and release a Bettles iPod

Why not a Steriogram iPod after all they wrote Walkie Talkie man that was used for an ipod advert:D

swingerofbirch
Jun 6, 2006, 05:44 PM

How can he say this and I get my post deleted for writing about not understanding Indian tech support? The policy toward anarchy seems to be inconsistent.

kirk26
Jun 6, 2006, 05:58 PM
In India on hold means breaky time.

lonelemur90
Jun 6, 2006, 06:04 PM
umm, now that ther is a black ipod, the u2 ipod is kind of pointless. one of the only reasons that people bought them befpre was because they were black...

Music_Producer
Jun 6, 2006, 06:06 PM

20 year old band = Bad? :rolleyes:

Steve Jobs is probably the biggest fan of U2 :D

Goliath
Jun 6, 2006, 06:08 PM
couldn't care less for the U2 ipod- that stupid red wheel and engraved signatures on the back! BUT give me the black stainless steel back on a regular black ipod and I'm so buying it! about time they made a fully black ipod to match the black macbook!

Just wait- that black stainless steel back will be available on regular ipods soon- at least i hope it will!

Music_Producer
Jun 6, 2006, 06:08 PM
How can he say this and I get my post deleted for writing about not understanding Indian tech support? The policy toward anarchy seems to be inconsistent.

Lol.. I'm indian and sometimes i dont understand indian tech support! :eek:

AidenShaw
Jun 6, 2006, 06:10 PM
Unless it's a special edition Sheryl Crow iPod, then I don't care. Every day is a lithium battery, gets a little bit weakerrrrr.
LOL :D

Goliath
Jun 6, 2006, 06:19 PM

I hate Bono's constant campaigning for Africa, Aids or whatever his latest cause celebre is- Thanks! The moment I take your consideration into account- what with your £150 million fortune... Yeah lecture me on responsibilities!

And it's not racist to state that 'Africa' as a whole sucks- so much aid is given and so much help offered YET still the corrupt regimes siphon the money to feather their own nests! And that is an undisputable fact!

That's what really annoys me- and don't get me started on how the West rapes Africa of it's goods for F@£k all- that's a whole post in itself!

sod it- no-one is gonna listen- i'll stop ranting and sit back and enjoy my vodka and coke!

macenforcer
Jun 6, 2006, 06:24 PM
I hate Bono's constant campaigning for Africa, Aids or whatever his latest cause celebre is- Thanks! The moment I take your consideration into account- what with your £150 million fortune... Yeah lecture me on responsibilities!

And it's not racist to state that 'Africa' as a whole sucks- so much aid is given and so much help offered YET still the corrupt regimes siphon the money to feather their own nests! And that is an undisputable fact!

That's what really annoys me- and don't get me started on how the West rapes Africa of it's goods for F@£k all- that's a whole post in itself!

sod it- no-one is gonna listen- i'll stop ranting and sit back and enjoy my vodka and coke!

Bravo! This is all these celebs do nowadays. Angelina, Pitt, Bono...

Abstract
Jun 6, 2006, 06:38 PM
Exactly. Personally, I saw them all the time. Apple wouldn't have brought it back if it wasn't a successful product...and who knows, maybe they'll throw a couple ads out there for it too (on tv).

Haha, "all the time."

"And the Hyperbole of the Year™ award goes to...."

Counter
Jun 6, 2006, 06:39 PM

Is that why their 1980s music sounds so different from their 1990s work, and why there is a distinct divide within U2 fandom as to which era fans prefer?

Most people who make these ignorant statements know little to nothing about U2's work.

You don't think 10 years of the same stuff is a bad enough offence?

I thank you for the education and congratulate U2 on changing their sound enough to make their fans feel their are two distinctive eras.

Snore.

Wake me up when they release an album which challenges there audience.

macenforcer
Jun 6, 2006, 06:43 PM
Hating U2 and Bono aside. The U2 ipod is just plain ugly. Red wheel? YUCK!

Abstract
Jun 6, 2006, 06:47 PM
If they made red clickwheel black iPod, I'd buy it. I don't think it's ugly. It's just the signatures in the back and the association with U2 that ruin it. ;)

Meh, way more than half a billion quid, actually. He isn't donating that much away, either. And I know some clown will say, "Oh yeah, well he has donated way more than YOU! What have you done?" Um......I don't get flown to Africa to pose in front of cameras for free. I also owe money as a student and like most people.......I don't almost have a billion dollars to my name, so no, I can't compete for Bono, even if he hasn't donated much relative to what he owns.

Angelina Jolie is a bit different though, I think. She talks the talk, but she walks the walk as well. I have more respect for her because she cares so much that she adopts children from these countries, and doesn't just ask other people to help them, or ask others to donate.

Ubuntu
Jun 6, 2006, 06:47 PM
Bravo! This is all these celebs do nowadays. Angelina, Pitt, Bono...

At least they're doing something. Might not be for the right reasons, but they're doing something.

amacgenius
Jun 6, 2006, 06:51 PM
or being a racist prick.

I tried not to be that direct but...

skoker
Jun 6, 2006, 06:59 PM
I tried not to be that direct but...

Touche!

luminosity
Jun 6, 2006, 07:02 PM

I doubt you have any clue how ignorant you come across.

U2 was riding on top of the music world in the late 1980s after the Joshua Tree, and two successful tours back to back (TJT and then Rattle and Hum). They had a distinctive sound, huge success (how many musicians have been on the cover of Time?) and a ton of money. And they proceded to risk throwing it all away so they could dream it all up again (in bono's words).

Achtung Baby was a major departure for them, and some fans never forgave U2 for it. It was a huge success, both critically and otherwise, but the continued risks they took with Zooropa and then Pop cannot be understated or ignored.

Ever listened to The Fly, Acrobat, or Ultraviolet, from AB? have you ever heard anything from Zooropa? i doubt it. Listen to Lemon, Daddy's Gonna Pay for your Crashed Car, or Numb. I doubt you've even heard of these tracks.

Listen to Mofo sometime, from Pop.

Challenge their audience? That's all they did for most of a decade. It ended up biting them in the rear, and so they turned their back on it and came out with ATYCLB.

What ignorant nonsense some people spout.

supermacdesign
Jun 6, 2006, 07:44 PM

Ummm, they just came off one of the most profitable world tours in history, yeah I think a few hundred million people still care about them. Not to mention the album of the year grammy win. Besides if Jobs is huge fan what are you gonna do? Ha!

LaMerVipere
Jun 6, 2006, 07:51 PM
What year where you born? '86? Believe it or not, there are people older than you that do listen to U2, and that buy U2 music, and would be interested in a U2 iPod. Me being one of them, if I didn't already have a 5G iPod.

Oh quit it with your age discrimination. Look at the bloody poll results, it's obvious the vast majority of people here couldn't care less about this lackluster product offering from Apple.

And for the record, I love music by artists from the 1980s and even before. U2 made some great music, but I just happen to think U2 are nothing special in the world of music today, and they sure as hell don't need a special edition iPod version 2.0.

supermacdesign
Jun 6, 2006, 07:52 PM
If they made red clickwheel black iPod, I'd buy it. I don't think it's ugly. It's just the signatures in the back and the association with U2 that ruin it. ;)

Meh, way more than half a billion quid, actually. He isn't donating that much away, either. And I know some clown will say, "Oh yeah, well he has donated way more than YOU! What have you done?" Um......I don't get flown to Africa to pose in front of cameras for free. I also owe money as a student and like most people.......I don't almost have a billion dollars to my name, so no, I can't compete for Bono, even if he hasn't donated much relative to what he owns.

Angelina Jolie is a bit different though, I think. She talks the talk, but she walks the walk as well. I have more respect for her because she cares so much that she adopts children from these countries, and doesn't just ask other people to help them, or ask others to donate.

It is Bonos star power that gets things done not his own personal fortune. For example the BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars 3rd world debt he had countries like the US and the EU lifted and the hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars he has raised to fight aids and starvation. U2/Bono bashers should get the hell off there backs, not a single band in the world has done a lick what these guys have accomplished.

supermacdesign
Jun 6, 2006, 07:56 PM
Oh quit it with your age discrimination. Look at the bloody poll results, it's obvious the vast majority of people here couldn't care less about this lackluster product offering from Apple.

And for the record, I love music by artists from the 1980s and even before. U2 made some great music, but I just happen to think U2 are nothing special in the world of music today, and they sure as hell don't deserve a special edition iPod version 2.0.

Again with comments about U2 being irrelevant today. They are without a doubt the "Biggest Band" in the world. No one has an audience or following like they do. Look it up, I dare you. Global album sales, tour reciepts, no one touches them. I'll say it again, Biggest Band in the world and that is why my friends they and only they have there own signature iPod.

gugy
Jun 6, 2006, 08:03 PM
Wow, I have never seem so much ignorance in a thread in this forum before.

First you guys have no ********** idea about U2. One the best bands ever.
For those of you that think they sound the same. Take the time and listen to their music before commenting on it. Thanks for your intelligent input quietmind

Second, for those of you who think Bono is just taking advantage of the Africa situation for his own celeb cause. Give me a break. What have you done to help anybody? Definitely not much because it seems that you just have time to type nonsense in this forum.

Goliath, you seemed to be jealous of Bono's fortune. Maybe because you do not the talent or intelligence to make your own. So, instead you just blame the ones that are successful and are doing something positive for a cause they believe.

I believe most of you are a bunch of teenagers that enjoy listening to Britney Spears or the latest disposable pop group and have no clue about what is happening around you. Plus you are all frustrate because Apple did not release this Tuesday the ipod of your dreams. Grow up!

bassman
Jun 6, 2006, 08:09 PM
but I just happen to think U2 are nothing special in the world of music today

I guess you haven't heard of their sold out tours and grammys they have been winning. Some people must like them.

gugy
Jun 6, 2006, 08:15 PM
I guess you haven't heard of their sold out tours and grammys they have been winning. Some people must like them.

Right, the whole Vertigo tour was sold out all over the world. The top gross money making tour of last year and their latest album won all the grammys (5) this year plus 3 more the year before with the Vertigo single.

and they are nothing special in the world of music today.

MattyMac
Jun 6, 2006, 08:49 PM
I am actually going to be getting a 30gb ipod video soon with the new student promotion, but Im not really interested in this...

Fuchal
Jun 6, 2006, 09:20 PM
Right, the whole Vertigo tour was sold out all over the world. The top gross money making tour of last year and their latest album won all the grammys (5) this year plus 3 more the year before with the Vertigo single.

and they are nothing special in the world of music today.

It doesn't change the fact that How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb is disappointing highly-calculated play-it-by-the-books made-for-the-masses pop rock. :)

LaMerVipere
Jun 6, 2006, 09:37 PM
It doesn't change the fact that How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb is disappointing highly-calculated play-it-by-the-books made-for-the-masses pop rock. :)

Bingo.

LaMerVipere
Jun 6, 2006, 09:38 PM

Selling records and selling out tours is no measure of quality.

By that definition, most "pop" music or whatever it popular and selling hot at the moment is "great"—rubbish, I say.

gugy
Jun 6, 2006, 09:48 PM

Well that's your opinion and you are entitle to it.

I rather stick to the music professionals and public that praised and support the album and tour. They seem more reliable than your single opinion. Not counting that I do like the album a lot myself.

13iG_m4c_13oY
Jun 6, 2006, 10:11 PM

Im sorry ur gonna have to speak up I think I cant hear you Their Triple Platinum Album (HTDAAB) got in my way or was it thier TWENTY_TWO Grammys that they have won. :)

CubaTBird
Jun 6, 2006, 10:14 PM
mmk bono is the man and the u2 ipod is pretty tight... but thats just me:cool:

Chundles
Jun 6, 2006, 10:25 PM
I like U2, I really do, I have tickets for their concert in November (or whenever it is).

This update however is a bit boring to me, I think it's time for a new band. A band with some similar following/history, people keep saying DMB but down here nobody could name one DMB song let alone buy an iPod dedicated to them. There are only really a few bands with the same level of history associated with them:

The Beatles (not likely though)
The Rolling Stones (Black and red with the lips engraved on the back)

Possibly Green Day - they've been around for 16 years but it's only recently they've had the really huge recognition. Black and Green, signatures on back.

eXan
Jun 6, 2006, 10:28 PM
Does anyone here even like U2?

No, I don't like U2, but I LOVE U2 iPod! I had one with B/W screen and now I want to get this! :) :cool: :D :p :eek:

bassman
Jun 6, 2006, 10:54 PM

By that definition, most "pop" music or whatever it popular and selling hot at the moment is "great"—rubbish, I say.

Now see, that is your opinion. The people who go and see the concerts, buy the music, and like the iPod, do think it is quality. That is what business sees and acts on. The majority wins. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, but I do see fault with yours, and all the others, sweeping generalizations based on opinion. I think the question was "what do you think of the U2 iPod?", not "what is your opinion of U2's place in the music world, and is what they have done worth anything?"

conditionals
Jun 6, 2006, 10:54 PM
Well that's your opinion and you are entitle to it.

I rather stick to the music professionals and public that praised and support the album and tour. They seem more reliable than your single opinion. Not counting that I do like the album a lot myself.

Um.

People who support the album and tour: Fans.
Music professionals who support the album and tour: Paid members of the Music Industry.
People who unanimously slammed the album for being average: Nearly every music critic, who spend their life giving informed and (generally) unbiased reviews.

glowingstar
Jun 6, 2006, 11:08 PM
at least pick a band thats not 20 years old...

but don'tchoo seeeeeeeee.......?

u2 = founded in 1976

apple = founded in 1976

there's the connection....! :cool:

Abstract
Jun 6, 2006, 11:16 PM

I doubt you have any clue how ignorant you come across.

U2 was riding on top of the music world in the late 1980s after the Joshua Tree, and two successful tours back to back (TJT and then Rattle and Hum). They had a distinctive sound, huge success (how many musicians have been on the cover of Time?) and a ton of money. And they proceded to risk throwing it all away so they could dream it all up again (in bono's words).

Achtung Baby was a major departure for them, and some fans never forgave U2 for it. It was a huge success, both critically and otherwise, but the continued risks they took with Zooropa and then Pop cannot be understated or ignored.

Ever listened to The Fly, Acrobat, or Ultraviolet, from AB? have you ever heard anything from Zooropa? i doubt it. Listen to Lemon, Daddy's Gonna Pay for your Crashed Car, or Numb. I doubt you've even heard of these tracks.

Listen to Mofo sometime, from Pop.

Challenge their audience? That's all they did for most of a decade. It ended up biting them in the rear, and so they turned their back on it and came out with ATYCLB.

What ignorant nonsense some people spout.

None of this is relevent today, much like U2's music.

*rolls around laughing at you*

glowingstar
Jun 6, 2006, 11:23 PM
all's i know is....i'm waiting for francis hwang to update the "u2 vs. negativland" ipod. :D

in case u don't remember.... here it is (http://fhwang.net/art/uiuvnse/).

http://fhwang.net/img/iuvnse/banner-left.gifhttp://fhwang.net/img/iuvnse/banner-right.jpg

neonart
Jun 6, 2006, 11:30 PM

This band was a success before you were even a thought. Press pause on that Lincoln Park or Britney Spears and check the stats:

"Founded in 1976, U2 have maintained a high level of popularity since the mid 1980s. The band has sold approximately 50.5 million albums in the U.S., according to the RIAA, and over 140 million worldwide, has had six #1 albums in the US and nine #1 albums in the UK and is one of the most successful groups of all time. Since the release of their album The Joshua Tree they have been frequently referred to as the biggest rock band in the world by fans and critics alike. The band has won 22 Grammy awards, second only to Stevie Wonder among popular music artists." - Wikipedia

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but dismissing U2 as "never being a great band" and "one of the most overrated" is humorous.

appleguy
Jun 6, 2006, 11:41 PM
I say we should have a Wooden SE iPod
with both Steve Jobs and Woz signuatres burnt into the back :D

gugy
Jun 6, 2006, 11:57 PM
Um.

People who support the album and tour: Fans.
Music professionals who support the album and tour: Paid members of the Music Industry.
People who unanimously slammed the album for being average: Nearly every music critic, who spend their life giving informed and (generally) unbiased reviews.

OK, give me a list of reputable music critics that slammed U2 albums. show me unbiased reviews slamming U2. if I don't see it , I'll only assume the above is your own opinion.

More than 20 Grammy's, million of albums sold, many sold out tours, cover of Time magazine couple times, etc. makes me believe U2 is a great and relevant band. anything else is jealously bashing

I am fine with people not liking their music. I hate country for example, but I am not going out there and bashing people who has talent just because I don't like their style of music.

MacGabePro
Jun 7, 2006, 12:02 AM
so stupid why did they bring this back???

dooleyt
Jun 7, 2006, 12:07 AM

Whatever, you don't like the color scheme of the U2 iPod. Good for you, but at least learn some history. It's not that difficult. Ireland (where all bar 1 of U2 [The Edge was born in Wales] was born and where all grew up), was never an imperial power. In fact it was ruled by an imperial power (Great Britain) until just after World War I. Ireland, in the 1840s, was the location of one of the world's greatest famines where the population of the island as a whole was reduced from approximately 10 million to about 4 million - from deaths and a huge amount of emigration, mainly to a very youthful USA at the time.....
So what did you think "Sunday Bloody Sunday" was all about???! A violent nosebleed?

rsmc77
Jun 7, 2006, 12:08 AM

U2 are great at what they do. You might not like it and so you say it isn't "great" music. Fine, that's your opinion, but you can't be dogmatic and make it a rule or an absolute that U2 isn't "great" just cause you don't think so. It is what it is and a lot of people like it.

luminosity
Jun 7, 2006, 12:09 AM
]None of this is relevent today, much like U2's music.

Uh huh. Nothing is more relevant than money, particularly a lot of it. Well over a hundred million dollars (and millions more in album sales) for the tour says that U2's music is still quite relevant indeed.

Semmishock06
Jun 7, 2006, 12:27 AM
:mad: WOW! U@ is a great band but they definetly dont deserve there own ipod and definetly not twice. Im wondering when does the ruch ipod come out????? too bad i wouldnt even buy that... whoever buys those things are eiher really big u2 fans or idiots ferreal give us some thats cool not a u2 ipod how lame i bet they got paid alot by u2 to make it tho.:p

sintaxi
Jun 7, 2006, 03:10 AM
U2 are great at what they do. You might not like it and so you say it isn't "great" music. Fine, that's your opinion, but you can't be dogmatic and make it a rule or an absolute that U2 isn't "great" just cause you don't think so. It is what it is and a lot of people like it.

U2 is not great.

iflipper
Jun 7, 2006, 03:13 AM
I like U2, but have no interest in this product whatsoever! They could have at least jazzed up the design a little. The red click wheel looks daft to me. 8gb nano please.

winmacguy
Jun 7, 2006, 05:57 AM
I do.

Chundles
Jun 7, 2006, 06:26 AM
I do.

Me too, they're not my number one but I like their music.

Any proper pictures yet? I wanna see what the black metal looks like in the real world.

itcheroni
Jun 7, 2006, 06:41 AM
U2 is a pop band and they aim to be a pop band. They write music that will sell first and foremost, which is why some critics and, apparently, a lot of people here don't like them. But, hey, there's nothing wrong with that. And Apple isn't some god of good tastes. You guys think so highly of Apple that what you assume to be an endorsement of U2 upsets you. Hey, I felt the same way when one of my friends told me to give She Wants Revenge a try.

Personally, a Radiohead iPod would have been more welcomed by me.

andom
Jun 7, 2006, 06:53 AM
where's the new iPod BlackSabbath with steelblue clickwheel and shiny/silk finish cover?

iPost
Jun 7, 2006, 09:24 AM
What, no Beatles iPod? :p

"I'm just sitting here watching the [scroll] wheels go round and round"
...John Lennon

Counter
Jun 7, 2006, 09:31 AM

Sounds like you have been watching too much VH1 - Behind The Music

No credible musicians could give a flying **** about being on the cover of Time.

Quoted again.

Everything U2 is bent that way.

Edge100
Jun 7, 2006, 09:31 AM
i don't like U2 at all but you know it's not compulsary to buy a U2 iPod.

The most sensible thing I've heard on this site. Ever! The existence of the U2 iPod (or the black MacBook, for another example) doesn't harm those people who don't want them. Who cares?

Indeed, this type of logic could be applied to a whole variety of things, even constitutional amendments that are currently being debated in the US Senate. :)

gugy
Jun 7, 2006, 10:18 AM
The most sensible thing I've heard on this site. Ever! The existence of the U2 iPod (or the black MacBook, for another example) doesn't harm those people who don't want them. Who cares?

Indeed, this type of logic could be applied to a whole variety of things, even constitutional amendments that are currently being debated in the US Senate. :)

Exactly.

People are so stupid that they are here just to bash U2 because they have nothing going on on their lives. Don't like U2, don't buy the Ipod. Like U2 good, buy the Ipod if you want. Simple as that.

Seems like most U2 bashers are mad because Apple did not unveil their IPOD Britney Spears in the pink color with sparkles on the back, or wait, is this the Ipod Paris Hilton?:eek:

jelloshotsrule
Jun 7, 2006, 11:20 AM
It's easy to preach and pontificate about dropping the debt in one hand, whilst you're clutching the readdies from corporate sponsorship deals from tat like the U2 iPod (or iPod U2 whatever it's f**kin' called) in the other.

in fairness, the u2/apple deal is the first sponsorship of theirs i know of, besides the general usage of their songs in various media. i could of course be wrong, but i'd hardly say that they sell out constantly to corporations. granted, they don't need to sell out to be swimming in $.

i can certainly see how it's easy to criticize the guy for being a rich bastard when he's preaching about 3rd world debt and hunger and aids, and in a way, i think someone with his status and hunger SHOULD be doing what he's doing, it shouldn't be the exception to the rule. lots of people with money will donate quietly or have their own relatively quiet involvement (bill gates, etc), but bono's appeal to such a wide range of ages and audiences (as a rock star, yes) allow him to reach people who are otherwise apathetic to such things. talking specifically about the ONE campaign and DATA here...

as for their music, eh, to each their own. though i'm curious what all the u2 naysayers would prefer to listen to. no band is universally popular...

jelloshotsrule
Jun 7, 2006, 11:23 AM
*cough* DMB *cough*

I still wouldn't buy that, but it would at least be cool for Apple to show support for talented bands....oh, other talented bands I mean :rolleyes:

hahahahahahaha. dmb...... uggh

Edge100
Jun 7, 2006, 11:28 AM
in fairness, the u2/apple deal is the first sponsorship of theirs i know of, besides the general usage of their songs in various media. i could of course be wrong, but i'd hardly say that they sell out constantly to corporations. granted, they don't need to sell out to be swimming in $.

i can certainly see how it's easy to criticize the guy for being a rich bastard when he's preaching about 3rd world debt and hunger and aids, and in a way, i think someone with his status and hunger SHOULD be doing what he's doing, it shouldn't be the exception to the rule. lots of people with money will donate quietly or have their own relatively quiet involvement (bill gates, etc), but bono's appeal to such a wide range of ages and audiences (as a rock star, yes) allow him to reach people who are otherwise apathetic to such things. talking specifically about the ONE campaign and DATA here...

as for their music, eh, to each their own. though i'm curious what all the u2 naysayers would prefer to listen to. no band is universally popular...

...They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three...

Seriously. It's ok to be rich (it's the American way, right?), but if you're going to help people, you have to take an oath of poverty? Puhlease!

Bono is doing something about an issue he cares about. Would the naysayers prefer he did nothing? I don't understand how people can label him a hypocrite. He hates world poverty, so he's investing his time, money, and political influence to fight it. How would it help the cause if Bono gave up all his money?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 7, 2006, 11:34 AM
At least give them the respect they deserve and look at them eye-to-eye without the glasses.

1. some leaders haven't earned much respect in my opinion.

2. how did you get in on the meetings (the actual meetings, not the photo ops before/after) with such prestigious leaders/figures?

ccrandall77
Jun 7, 2006, 11:44 AM
where's the new iPod BlackSabbath with steelblue clickwheel and shiny/silk finish cover?

That would be the most awesome iPod EVER!! It'd be even cooler if it had thirteen crosses on it and there was a curse on it so if anyone would steal it they'd get what's coming to them.

Jovian9
Jun 7, 2006, 11:46 AM
all's i know is....i'm waiting for francis hwang to update the "u2 vs. negativland" ipod. :D

in case u don't remember.... here it is (http://fhwang.net/art/uiuvnse/).

http://fhwang.net/img/iuvnse/banner-left.gifhttp://fhwang.net/img/iuvnse/banner-right.jpg

Awesome!

Jovian9
Jun 7, 2006, 11:47 AM

Agreed.

jaydub
Jun 7, 2006, 12:15 PM

Hell yes!

rsmc77
Jun 7, 2006, 12:44 PM
U2 is not great.

I don't care what your opinion is... greatness of a band is in the ear of the beholder. There isn't a definition for great music. I'm sure your taste of music sucks (in my opinion).

jaydub
Jun 7, 2006, 12:48 PM
I don't care what your opinion is... that has nothing to do with the ipod. I'm sure your taste of music sucks.
very mature way to handle someone having a different opinion of U2's music. If I got all ******** every time someone said Jamiroquai sucked, I'd be upset all the time. :rolleyes:

rsmc77
Jun 7, 2006, 01:17 PM
very mature way to handle someone having a different opinion of U2's music. If I got all ******** every time someone said Jamiroquai sucked, I'd be upset all the time. :rolleyes:

ha, I'm not all ******** about his opinion on U2 (I'm not even a U2 fan)... that isn't what I was saying. I just said that you can't say a band isn't "great" because you don't like them... sintaxi replies "U2 isn't great". Guess we have a music god here... oh high and might one please enlighten us all to what "great" music is!

jaydub
Jun 7, 2006, 01:25 PM
ha, I'm not all ******** about his opinion on U2 (I'm not even a U2 fan)... that isn't what I was saying. I just said that you can't say a band isn't "great" because you don't like them... sintaxi replies "U2 isn't great". Guess we have a music god here... oh high and might one please enlighten us all to what "great" music is!No need, I saw your comments before you edited your post three times. I can say the Beatles aren't great if I don't like them, and you have no place to tell me my opinion is wrong. Perhaps you might want to look up the definition of "opinion."

rsmc77
Jun 7, 2006, 01:56 PM
No need, I saw your comments before you edited your post three times. I can say the Beatles aren't great if I don't like them, and you have no place to tell me my opinion is wrong. Perhaps you might want to look up the definition of "opinion."

my point exactly.

Edge100
Jun 7, 2006, 02:11 PM
No need, I saw your comments before you edited your post three times. I can say the Beatles aren't great if I don't like them, and you have no place to tell me my opinion is wrong. Perhaps you might want to look up the definition of "opinion."

No, your opinion is your opinion. The fact that you have an opinion does not, in any way, bring you closer to the truth.

Admittedly, in a subjective matter like whether a band is good or not, opinion is all we have, since the quality of a band cannot really be quantified. In that respect, I agree with you (although The Beatles are the greatest band, hands down ;) ).

However, one should be careful not to envoke the "I'm entitled to my opinion" defence incorrectly. It is too often taken to mean, "I am entitled to have my opinion be correct", which is lunacy. Your right to an opinion does not entitle you to be correct. And by envoking this type of defence, you are essentially saying that you are interested not in ascertaining the truth, but merely in sharing what you think. That is a different discussion, and is not helpful here. It is simply logically inconsistent to claim that everyone is entitled to an opinion and that everyone's opinion is equally close to the truth.

So, have your opinion. When you are ready to discuss who is "right", forgo your opinion and discuss fact.

jaydub
Jun 7, 2006, 02:18 PM
No, your opinion is your opinion. The fact that you have an opinion does not, in any way, bring you closer to the truth.<snip>
Agreed, and the dictionary definition (http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+opinion&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official) states that opinion is rooted in personal preference, not truth. :)

edit:// this is why I said that one cannot tell another that their opinion is wrong.

Edge100
Jun 7, 2006, 02:22 PM
Agreed, and the dictionary definition (http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+opinion&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official) states that opinion is rooted in personal preference, not truth. :)

edit:// this is why I said that one cannot tell another that their opinion is wrong.

Precisely. I re-read the post and realised that it came off a bit harsh toward you. I didn't mean it that way. I meant it to be a derision of those who misuse the term "opinion".

jaydub
Jun 7, 2006, 02:24 PM
Precisely. I re-read the post and realised that it came off a bit harsh toward you. I didn't mean it that way. I meant it to be a derision of those who misuse the term "opinion".No worries. :)

corywoolf
Jun 7, 2006, 04:51 PM
Sorry if i sounded a little "going ape", but i think it would just be a nice bto to have it black, or the high end model be black.
No, yuck, get an IBM or MB. I love my MBP in Anodized Aluminum. Now maybe if it was aluminum with a nice black finish that was scratch resistant!

knackroller
Jun 7, 2006, 08:49 PM
But why only U2? How many ipod fans are die hard U2 fans?!? Why not a yearly Apple "Billboard" charts and the top 5 bands have an iPod for them. That way we get 5 "new" special edition iPods every year (different colors etc).

bretm
Jun 7, 2006, 11:18 PM

ditto with liberal mr jobs, but I still think his stuff is cool

Renegate
Jun 8, 2006, 03:24 AM
Could make sense, just like they sell-off the nanos thru student promotion which is earlier than last year

conditionals
Jun 8, 2006, 08:29 AM
OK, give me a list of reputable music critics that slammed U2 albums. show me unbiased reviews slamming U2. if I don't see it , I'll only assume the above is your own opinion.

More than 20 Grammy's, million of albums sold, many sold out tours, cover of Time magazine couple times, etc. makes me believe U2 is a great and relevant band. anything else is jealously bashing

I am fine with people not liking their music. I hate country for example, but I am not going out there and bashing people who has talent just because I don't like their style of music.

Why would I say all that stuff about unbiased music critics simply as a façade for my secret jealousy? Syntax error for you.

As a matter of fact, I like all music. Aqua to Aphex Twin and back again. And that includes U2.

Try the bottom half of metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/u2/howtodismantleanatomicbomb?q=how%20to%20dismantle).

And remember I said it was universally panned for being avergage.

And no, Aqua is not really music.

someguy
Jun 8, 2006, 08:47 AM
Not to sound immature, but U2 sucks. What is so significant about them that they deserve their own iPod, twice? I don't get it.

Where's my west-side gangsta rap iPod with the chrome spinnin' rim clickwheel? ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 8, 2006, 09:00 AM
Not to sound immature, but U2 sucks. What is so significant about them that they deserve their own iPod, twice? I don't get it.

by your logic, it's their 3rd own ipod. really, it's just that apple offers a u2 ipod, and is keeping it updated with slight variations (as they do with all ipod lines).

i just saw a google ad for the new rise against album on the bottom of the page here... now there's a good band.

someguy
Jun 8, 2006, 09:02 AM
by your logic, it's their 3rd own ipod. really, it's just that apple offers a u2 ipod, and is keeping it updated with slight variations (as they do with all ipod lines).
Well, regardless, what is it about what they did or who they are that made Apple decide to create an iPod after them?

gugy
Jun 8, 2006, 09:05 AM
Why would I say all that stuff about unbiased music critics simply as a façade for my secret jealousy? Syntax error for you.

As a matter of fact, I like all music. Aqua to Aphex Twin and back again. And that includes U2.

Try the bottom half of metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/u2/howtodismantleanatomicbomb?q=how%20to%20dismantle).

And remember I said it was universally panned for being avergage.

And no, Aqua is not really music.

I am still waiting for the list of critics and reputable publications that slammed U2.
IMHO, it probably don't exist.
Some people like the album(HTDAB), some don't I have never heard critics slammed it as pop or under average album.
You are just trying to prove your point with lies.

until then I am done with your bulls**t

jelloshotsrule
Jun 8, 2006, 09:16 AM
Well, regardless, what is it about what they did or who they are that made Apple decide to create an iPod after them?

well the broader question is why would they single out any particular band. and that is a valid one, i think. but once you decide to go with a band, u2 is a fairly reasonable choice for reasons already given... a few of them include:

they have a global audience
they appeal to many age groups (partly due to having been around for a while)
they still tour and release music that wins awards and sells records and sells out venues (such that many can't even get tickets when they want to)

in general- they are popular, and visible in the public eye. they are a good marketing tool.

whether or not YOU like the music has nothing to do with it, believe it or not.

someguy
Jun 8, 2006, 09:50 AM
whether or not YOU like the music has nothing to do with it, believe it or not.
I never said they shouldn't make this iPod because I don't like U2, I was simply curious as to why they would pick U2 as opposed to every other band in the world.

"Why would they single out a particular band" is also a good question, kind of along the same lines as what I was asking.

Aside from that, I don't really think we need another U2 iPod, personally. I'm hoping for a Bluetooth-enabled iPod. :)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 8, 2006, 10:49 AM
fair enough, i'd also question singling out a single band. but i really don't think it's cost them much R&D $ and they probably have even made some cash from it and the extra exposure.

that said, i think if they had to pick a band, u2 makes sense.

bluetooth ipod might be nice, but i don't think that the u2 pod upgrade made that any more or less likely to happen.