PDA

View Full Version : We could help each other buy massive computers!!!

macgeek2005
Jun 6, 2006, 01:01 PM
Think about it!!!

There are thousands of Macrumors members.

Lets say that me and 3000 other members each give a dollar to a guy who desperatly needs a G5 tower. I would gladly do that! What is a dollar? It's just a dollar!

We wouldn't go crazy with this, cause then everyone would want a computer. We would need a judge who decides when someone needs one and when someone doesn't. For instance right now I would be ruled out because I have a G4 tower that is serving my needs.

I may sound like i'm crazy, but I'm sure that every other member on this site would glady donate a dollar if they know it'll buy someone a new Mac.

And if those same 3000 people each give 10 dollars to ten different people, there you've got 10 people with brand new 3000 dollar computers!!!

What do you think?

jsw
Jun 6, 2006, 01:02 PM
I think it's a pyramid scheme.

macgeek2005
Jun 6, 2006, 01:04 PM
I think it's a pyramid scheme.

It is not a pyrmaid scheme. Not at all. It's me finding a way to help people in this cruel world.

There's nothing wrong with this. It's a great idea. I'm ready to give 10 dollars to ten people who need new computers.

jsw
Jun 6, 2006, 01:08 PM
No, it's a pyramid scheme. It only becomes "fair" if everyone who contributes ends up with a computer, in which case everyone would have to spend the $3000 or whatever anyway. Unless people are just going to give their money away, which I don't see happening.

Why?

Given that anyone who posts here clearly has access to a computer and can falsify their situation (making their "need" seem more severe), I see no compelling reason to give my money to them.

You, of course, are welcome to buy as many people computers as you'd like.

macgeek2005
Jun 6, 2006, 01:09 PM
No, it's a pyramid scheme. Look up the definition. It only becomes "fair" if everyone who contributes ends up with a computer, in which case everyone would have to spend the $3000 or whatever anyway.

Given that anyone who posts here clearly has access to a computer and can falsify their situation (making their "need" seem more severe), I see no compelling reason to give my money to them.

*sigh*, well I was ready to make other people happy, without thought of what i'd get out of it, but I guess this world is meaner that I thought.

FleurDuMal
Jun 6, 2006, 01:11 PM
I think a potentially more succesful approach to cheaper costs by collective action is group purchasing. I have no idea if Apple give discounts for large orders (i.e. 100 Macbook's, etc), and I'm sure that there is probably some obstacle to such bulk ordering, but I'm sure its been done before :confused:

Sun Baked
It is a pyramid scheme, and unlike the free ipod crap from awhile ago that was an annoying spammy pyramid scheme -- one like this that actually uses money, is illegal even if you limit it.

If somebody really needs a machine, they can resort to cyberbegging ...

jelloshotsrule
this is a great idea! how come no one has thought of this before?? put me down for $10 for 20 people!!!!

jsw
Jun 6, 2006, 01:12 PM
*sigh*, well I was ready to make other people happy, without thought of what i'd get out of it, but I guess this world is meaner that I thought.
It isn't necessarily mean, but you aren't going to get 3000 MR members to buy a computer for someone they don't know who just happens to post here. Doing so would be naive.

dejo
Jun 6, 2006, 01:13 PM
Besides, nobody desperately needs a G5 tower. Food, water, shelter, things like that are far more worthy of desperation.

calculus
Jun 6, 2006, 01:14 PM
Besides, nobody desperately needs a G5 tower. Food, water, shelter, things like that are far more worthy of desperation.
I agree, the word 'need' is used much too freely.

macgeek2005
Jun 6, 2006, 01:15 PM
this is a great idea! how come no one has thought of this before?? put me down for $10 for 20 people!!!!

I'd love too, but it looks like our friends would rather hold on to their dollar bills with their greedy money grubbing fingers.

I'm gonna be rich soon, and i'm gonna reward those who were generous now.

Sun Baked
Jun 6, 2006, 01:17 PM
I'm gonna be rich soon, and i'm gonna reward those who were generous now.I'd love to visit you when you go to prison for running one of these schemes.

But I'll probably be too busy running the collection scheme to make sure your cellmate is adequately supplied with condoms and lubricant.

jsw
Jun 6, 2006, 01:18 PM
I do think that one could consider access to a computer and the Internet to be somewhat close to a 'need' nowadays to function well in society, but I agree that a $3000 system is far more than needed for that (try a $300 Dell) and, of course, anyone here already has access.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2006, 01:18 PM
I'd love too, but it looks like our friends would rather hold on to their dollar bills with their greedy money grubbing fingers.

I'm gonna be rich soon, and i'm gonna reward those who were generous now.

you and me both, brother. that's ok, let them keep their money! they can't take it with them, and seeing as how greedy they are, where they are going after this life isn't going to be very pleasant, with or without their money!

macgeek2005
Jun 6, 2006, 01:19 PM
I'd love to visit you when you go to prison for running one of these schemes.

But I'll probably be too busy running the collection scheme to make sure your cellmate is adequately supplied with condoms and lubricant.

I'm allowed to buy someone a computer, okay?

And I will buy brand new $10,000 systems for those of you who weren't greedy *******s right now.

iGary
Jun 6, 2006, 01:20 PM
I already have a kick ass system, thank you very much.

OK, that was really arrogant, but given the stupidity of this thread...

macgeek2005
Jun 6, 2006, 01:20 PM
Anyway, i'll be going now. I was just commandeered to go and engineer a recording session on a Dual PowerMac G5 using Pro Tools.

It'll be the first recording i'll engineer, but I just took a class about it, so I think i'll be fine.

Talk to you guys later!

jsw
Jun 6, 2006, 01:21 PM
You are being phenomenally presumptuous to call anyone here "greedy" when you have no idea whatsoever what an individual's dealings with charities, etc. happen to be. The fact that people don't jump onboard a buy-$3000-computers train more than likely indicates that they have common sense and not that they are greedy.

If you think people can be helped with a $3000 computer, then you probably have no idea how much better $3000 can be put to use in other ways.

Edit: why do I even let these things get to me?!?

jelloshotsrule
I'm allowed to buy someone a computer, okay?

And I will buy brand new $10,000 systems for those of you who weren't greedy *******s right now.

heck yeah! we're going to have to win over these greedy arses with out kindness and generosity. they will see that they can't win when we are buying $20,000 systems for people who truly need them!!!

mkrishnan
I think this is a great idea.

And don't buy a computer for iGary. The chances that it won't be defective are so slim as to not make this endeavor worthwhile at all, sadly...

FleurDuMal
Jun 6, 2006, 01:23 PM
We could of course all give $1/1 to starving Africans or abused children instead?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2006, 01:24 PM
We could of course all give $1/1 to starving Africans or abused children instead?

we can buy computers for these horribly needy people if we want to! stop being so narrowminded!!

food vs. computers? easy call man! this is a mac forum!!!

CanadaRAM
What an inane idea.

Yeah! Lets all send $1 each to 10 people.
and instead of them getting $3,000 computers, the machines will cost $6,000 a freaking piece after postage, paypal charges and/or bank charges.

Genius. How to make money disappear. Should be a stage magician act.

Sun Baked
We could of course all give $1/1 to starving Africans or abused children instead?Doubtful, they'd probably decide that a better use of the money would be for solid platinum nipple rings. :(

2nyRiggz
Jun 6, 2006, 01:25 PM
If you guys are buying then i'm down.

Bless

macgeek2005
Jun 6, 2006, 01:26 PM
Alright, I don't even care anymore. You guys are just too much. Who cares what it is??? It's just a friggin dollar!!!!

But anyways.... I guess theres nothing else to discuss here, unless you guys wanna place your future orders with me, for when i'm rich and i'll buy you whatever you want.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2006, 01:28 PM
If you guys are buying then i'm down.

Bless

ok great. spec out a machine at apple.com and post a screenshot. macgeek2005 and i will take care of the rest. let us know your address too of course so we can ship it overnight.

Sun Baked
Jun 6, 2006, 01:28 PM
Put your money where your keyboard is.

Here is your first victim...

MacRumors -- Help Me Buy a G5 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=206885)

Did you help him?

edit: fixed link

dejo
Jun 6, 2006, 01:29 PM
food vs. computers? easy call man! this is a mac forum!!!

You think you'd live longer without food or without a computer? C'mon, one is a need, the other is a want.

dejo
Jun 6, 2006, 01:31 PM
Also, who's going to be responsible for all the various taxes, including income tax, that such a gift would bring on?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2006, 01:32 PM
You think you'd live longer without food or without a computer? C'mon, one is a need, the other is a want.

i can't LIVE without my computer man! and clearly a 20k system would provide much more than 20k worth of food and potable water. especially with os x!!! x breathes life into people!

sun baked- i emailed the person and requested an apple store listing so i know what macgeek2005 and i will order for them.

Also, who's going to be responsible for all the various taxes, including income tax, that such a gift would bring on?

macgeek2005 and i will take care of that too, don't worry!

macgeek2005
Jun 6, 2006, 01:35 PM
i can't LIVE without my computer man! and clearly a 20k system would provide much more than 20k worth of food and potable water. especially with os x!!! x breathes life into people!

sun baked- i emailed the person and requested an apple store listing so i know what macgeek2005 and i will order for them.

macgeek2005 and i will take care of that too, don't worry!

yeah, but wait. I'm not rich yet. I can't pay half the cost of a G5.

idea_hamster
It's not technically a pyramid scheme.
The pyramid version would look like this [DISCLAIMER -- This is FRAUD & ILLEGAL!]:
Get a new Mac for only $100! Sound too good to be true? It's not!
Take advantage of our bulk purchasing capability!
We pass savings down to you!
Your money back if not completely satisfied!

Just send us $100 and you'll get your brand new factory sealed PowerMac!

Allow 8 to 12 weeks for delivery.

And then it would run like this:
1. Run the ad.
2. When the first 30 people send in their $100, buy a Mac and send it to the first person who answered. Do this as quickly as possible.
3. Hopefully, word spreads that the "offer" is "good" and more people send in money.
4. Make good on the first few responses -- those people are the tools who will sucker their friends into sending money.
5. When the money starts to roll in, cash all the checks and skip town -- because there is NO WAY that you can actually fulfill all the orders.
6. Try not to get tracked down by law enforcement.
7. Get tracked down by law enforcement.
8. Indictment.
9. Arrest.
10. Arraignment.
11. Trial/Plea Bargain.
12. Jail.
13. Don't drop the soap.

On the other hand:
macgeek2005's plan is really just charity. Some MR members give, others get. Interestingly, the logical extension of the plan (everyone gives $1, someone gets a Mac; everyone gives $10, 10 people get Macs) is that everyone gives $3000 and everyone gets a Mac. Which is not illegal, just inefficient.

My REAL question is this: how do we decide on who gets the Mac?
We would all have to send in our $1 and then have a nomination process and then a voting process. It could work. I know that I would give a dollar (and I highly doubt that I'd get picked to get the prize. And I'm OK with that. :) ).

2nyRiggz
ok great. spec out a machine at apple.com and post a screenshot. macgeek2005 and i will take care of the rest. let us know your address too of course so we can ship it overnight.

Great...add an extra gig of RAM in that bad boy whiles you are at it.:)

Bless

macgeek2005
Jun 6, 2006, 01:36 PM
It's not technically a pyramid scheme.
The pyramid version would look like this [DISCLAIMER -- This is FRAUD & ILLEGAL!]:
Get a new Mac for only $100! Sound too good to be true? It's not!
Take advantage of our bulk purchasing capability!
We pass savings down to you!
Your money back if not completely satisfied!

Just send us $100 and you'll get your brand new factory sealed PowerMac!

Allow 8 to 12 weeks for delivery.

And then it would run like this:
1. Run the ad.
2. When the first 30 people send in their $100, buy a Mac and send it to the first person who answered. Do this as quickly as possible.
3. Hopefully, word spreads that the "offer" is "good" and more people send in money.
4. Make good on the first few responses -- those people are the tools who will sucker their friends into sending money.
5. When the money starts to roll in, cash all the checks and skip town -- because there is NO WAY that you can actually fulfill all the orders.
6. Try not to get tracked down by law enforcement.
7. Get tracked down by law enforcement.
8. Arrest.
9. Arraignment.
10. Indictment.
11. Trial/Plea Bargain.
12. Jail.
13. Don't drop the soap.

On the other hand:
macgeek2005's plan is really just charity. Some MR members give, others get. Interestingly, the logical extension of the plan (everyone gives $1, someone gets a Mac; everyone gives $10, 10 people get Macs) is that everyone gives $3000 and everyone gets a Mac. Which is not illegal, just inefficient.

My REAL question is this: how do we decide on who gets the Mac?
We would all have to send in our $1 and then have a nomination process and then a voting process. It could work. I know that I would give a dollar (and I highly doubt that I'd get picked to get the prize. And I'm OK with that. :) ).

I said before, we'll vote on who needs it the most.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2006, 01:37 PM
yeah, but wait. I'm not rich yet. I can't pay half the cost of a G5.

oh my god! don't tell me the greedy arses have gotten to you too! ugggh. am i the only selfless, compassionate, empathetic, martyriffic person here??

take out a loan so we can take care of these poor needy people together, then you can pay off the loans when you get rich!!!!

Great...add an extra gig of RAM in that bad boy whiles you are at it.:)

Bless

an extra gig? don't you want 8 gb? keep in mind that we're offering $30,000 systems!!!! let me know. stay cool. kit.

jsw
Jun 6, 2006, 01:41 PM
This is going nowhere, and sooner or later it's going to get ugly. To avoid issues, it's been closed.

No one needs a $3000 system. If someone feels they really, really, really want one, PM macgeek2005 and let him organize a fundraiser for you, or start one for yourself.

However, we will not be voting on how to distribute $3000 systems to needy MR members. if you have that much spare cash, donate it to a cause which will do more with $3000 than give one person a G5 tower.