PDA

View Full Version : can you switch a imac graphics card?

junkionxl
Feb 22, 2003, 02:17 PM
Well i am still in the stone age area of the macintosh world. I am running a G3 300 and i am looking towards getting a new mac. One is a Titanium and the other possibly a imac. I am not looking to really spend a lot of money one one. I was wondering if i can replace the GeForce4 MX card int he imac and put in a new ATI card?

vniow
Feb 22, 2003, 02:21 PM
no

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 22, 2003, 02:42 PM
only thePPPPPPowermac can swap out video cards! Can you feel the power?

junkionxl
Feb 22, 2003, 06:14 PM
Yeah…the only reason I really needed to know is that is becuase like some apple worker at compusa tried telling me that you can swap it. I had to hear from some others if it was true or not...but i guess that an apple worker is wrong then lol!

DavPeanut
Feb 22, 2003, 06:22 PM
On the old iMacs, I think you could upgrade the Video Card, or at least the video memory.

WannabeSQ
Feb 22, 2003, 06:33 PM
Yeah, someone made a Voodoo card for the early iMacs that had the mezzazanine slot, and there are very few of them, and the Voodoo card is not supported anymore for much other than stuff that came out before they got bought by nvidia.

Sun Baked
Feb 22, 2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by junkionxl
Well i am still in the stone age area of the macintosh world. I am running a G3 300 and i am looking towards getting a new mac. One is a Titanium and the other possibly a imac. I am not looking to really spend a lot of money one one. I was wondering if i can replace the GeForce4 MX card int he imac and put in a new ATI card? Buy a PowerMac (video card/CPU card/PCI slots) if you are thinking of doing any tinkering and/or upgrading in the future.

The iMac is upgradeable, outside the box, or by replacing the box -- that's all.