Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
i'm looking to get a desktop system to go along with my macbook pro. mainly for bit torrent use, instant handbrake and the like. ( i transfer all my dvds/tv shows so i can use them on front row).

i'm not looking to spend too much money, would anyone have any ideas as to what i should do? i'd rather have a mac, not a pc, don't need a monitor.

i would listen to any suggestions.

thanks much everyone!

liam

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
If you get a PowerMac you'll be able to upgrade/install hard drives a lot easier for sure, you're going to be limited with an iMac unless you purchase external drives (which are more pricey).

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I say go with a used Power Mac G5 - you can pick them up pretty cheaply due to the expectations of the imminent arrival of the Mac Pros.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
eva01 said:
Well the iMac intel will encode a frack load faster than a G5 thats for sure.

Provided that both run at similar clock speeds. That said, my 2GHz MacBook Pro is capable of closely matching my 2.3GHz Power Mac G5s speed.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
dmw007 said:
Provided that both run at similar clock speeds. That said, my 2GHz MacBook Pro is capable of closely matching my 2.3GHz Power Mac G5s speed.

assuming this yes.

But i still think you wouldn't be able to find a powermac with the perfect settings for less than (or a significant amount) an equivalent iMac Intel

Hell my dual 1.8 cost me 1500 and came with 256MB of RAM, a NVIDIA 5200 in it and an 80GB HD.

Has cost me about 600 or maybe a bit less to make it up to 3GB RAM ATI 9650 and the 80GB + 250GB HD.

Which lets just say makes it to be 2000 Rounding off

and for only about 174 dollars more you can get a 20" iMac 256VRAM, 1GB RAM, 500GB HD

And this is going by retail prices, not education prices.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
eva01 said:
and for only about 174 dollars more you can get a 20" iMac 256VRAM, 1GB RAM, 500GB HD

And this is going by retail prices, not education prices.

Well, if that was the case, then I would definitely go with the 20" iMac.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
dmw007 said:
Well, if that was the case, then I would definitely go with the 20" iMac.

However this is going by the price of my powermac when i did infact buy it

and that was a refurb.

Currently the cheapest refurb is 1700 with only 512RAM and 160GB HD

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Pickup a mirrored drive door powermac g4 with dual 1ghz or better. You can throw 4 hard drives in there without any extra PCI cards or cables. These machines are quickly coming down in price so it shouldn't cost you too much, and it's probably all the power you're going to need for your purposes.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I'm selling the one in my sig. for £500, all boxed, 2 months old from Apple, with receipts etc.

It includes free next day insured delivery in the UK.

PM me if your interested. :)

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
9Charms said:
Pickup a mirrored drive door powermac g4 with dual 1ghz or better. You can throw 4 hard drives in there without any extra PCI cards or cables. These machines are quickly coming down in price so it shouldn't cost you too much, and it's probably all the power you're going to need for your purposes.

that sounds more along the lines i'm thinking

encode speeds aren't too bothersome for me, as i could just start it when i go to work, and it would be done when i get home. plus it'd be nice to have an always on computer, i don't like leaving the mbp open all the time.

i'm definately leaning more to a dual config g4 powermac, but still up in the air really.

another question you guys might know the answer to. are there cards with video out for these powermacs? if its possible, i'd like to be able to connect it to my living room setup, its not a huge deal, but something i would like to do.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
laidbackliam said:
another question you guys might know the answer to. are there cards with video out for these powermacs? if its possible, i'd like to be able to connect it to my living room setup, its not a huge deal, but something i would like to do.

Of course there are. Almost all modern video cards have this feature included. :)

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
laidbackliam said:
You could get a new expensive video card, but why bother when Elgato sells the EyeHome for $100. The video card would forever be tied to your obsolete PMac while the EyeHome can be used with any Mac. Also, it would allow you to keep your noisy PMac some place else and still access all the contents from your living room.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
dmw007 said:
I say go with a used Power Mac G5 - you can pick them up pretty cheaply due to the expectations of the imminent arrival of the Mac Pros.

i think your idea of cheap and mine are two different things :)

with that thinking though, a dual g4 config should be going down in price as well, which is really seems to be the best bet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.