PDA

View Full Version : 100 WU done! Finally!




Tomasz
Feb 24, 2003, 01:09 AM
Well, I would just like to say that I am very happy. :) It has taken forever, but I have finally completed 100 wu on folding.

I feel like I am actually contributing, and feel good about it. (I would have done more, but sadly, I have had many faulty work units.... which occur at around frame 399/400... grrr.. :( but that's another story).

Well, I just wanted to share my joy. And here's to a hundred more....

Tomasz



Flowbee
Feb 24, 2003, 01:28 AM
Congrats! I'm still cranking out my first. Damn cube! :D

Rower_CPU
Feb 24, 2003, 11:34 AM
Congrats, Tomasz!

We're thankful for everyone who contributes to the effort. :)

mc68k
Feb 24, 2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Tomasz
I feel like I am actually contributing, and feel good about it. you're headed 4 the top 10 you should be proud. you may not have a large percentage of the total team WU, but put with all the other people doing the same thing you guys make a huge difference.
(I would have done more, but sadly, I have had many faulty work units.... which occur at around frame 399/400... grrr.. :( but that's another story).coulda, woulda, shoulda...i have many horror stories too. i wish i could get those WU back. but patience and perserverance pays off.

kudos Tomasz 4 all ur help. team MR thanks you. :)

jethroted
Feb 24, 2003, 03:56 PM
I just started today. I threw F@H on 2 computers at home, and 2 at work. I hope to build my way up fast. I want our team to win (if there really is such a thing). Anyways, congrats!;)

mc68k
Feb 24, 2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
I just started today. I threw F@H on 2 computers at home, and 2 at work. I hope to build my way up fast. I want our team to win (if there really is such a thing). Anyways, congrats!;) can't really win, but it would be nice to be the top mac team.

thanks 4 ur generous contribution. :)

Mr. Anderson
Feb 25, 2003, 03:35 PM
Well, congrats - I'm hoping to follow you soon, just got the dual 1.25 up and going. Hope it works....thanks for the scripts mc68k!

D

bousozoku
Feb 25, 2003, 10:02 PM
Congratulations and thanks for contributing!

It's great to see more people taking the effort.

Now, if we had a few hundred people using their dual processor machines, we'd make a bigger dent. :)

FelixDerKater
Feb 25, 2003, 11:11 PM
Congrats on getting 100.

I guess I should switch over the MacRumors team.

Mr. Anderson
Feb 26, 2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
Congrats on getting 100.

I guess I should switch over the MacRumors team.

Who are you with now and how many Work Units have you done?

And you should switch! :D

D

FelixDerKater
Feb 26, 2003, 12:04 PM
I have been folding with Team Mac OS X, because at the time I started, that was one of the few Mac teams I saw on the stats page. Just got back to folding a few weeks back, after about half a year or so of neglecting to install the client again.

Once I finish the unit I'm on now, I'll change the team number over.

Mr. Anderson
Feb 26, 2003, 12:14 PM
WooHoo! Another folding member....

But its not like Team Mac OSX needs anymore members, they're ranked 25th with about twice as many points as MacRumors. With over 700 members, they won't miss you. Thanks for helping the underdog! :D

D

MacPorter
Feb 26, 2003, 12:35 PM
Another newbie to the team here with a couple of newbie questions...

Is a work unit when you complete a protein (100%)?

I installed the GUI version late Monday night 02/24 and I am at 45.3% today. The dialogue window is telling me
Loading...
Benchmarking...
and has said so since the beginning. Is all well here?

Only to 45% after 36 hours - is that slow? I have a MDD867.

Finally, can I stop it and resume without loosing ground? I have a 512 from Crucial being delivered this afternoon:D and I will have to shut down to install it. I don't want to screw my protein up.

Anyhow, thanks in advance.

MacPorter
Feb 26, 2003, 12:52 PM
One last (I know, I know)-

mc68k-

I just read in another area about your dual processor script. I am interested in using that rather than my GUI. Should I delete it or just install from your scripts and not run GUI any more? Will I loose credit if I delete now?

Yes, I am painfully new.

Thanks!

FelixDerKater
Feb 26, 2003, 02:15 PM
After a unit has begun processing, can you change the team number before it is submitted, or will it have to wait for the next unit?

mc68k
Feb 26, 2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by MacPorter
I just read in another area about your dual processor script. I am interested in using that rather than my GUI.cool. :)

Should I delete it or just install from your scripts and not run GUI any more? Will I loose credit if I delete now?yes, you will lose credit if you quit now. just wait until it's finished since you're so far along.

Yes, I am painfully new.ha, werent we all once (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=66354&highlight=resume#post66354)? :)

mc68k
Feb 26, 2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
After a unit has begun processing, can you change the team number before it is submitted, or will it have to wait for the next unit? the only time it checks team info is when it sends it in, so yes you can change it.

FelixDerKater
Feb 26, 2003, 03:31 PM
Team # is now set to 3446. Currently at 2% on the first unit.

dstorey
Feb 26, 2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by MacPorter


Only to 45% after 36 hours - is that slow? I have a MDD867.

Finally, can I stop it and resume without loosing ground? I have a 512 from Crucial being delivered this afternoon:D and I will have to shut down to install it. I don't want to screw my protein up.

Anyhow, thanks in advance.

no its not, mines been on none stop for a week and 2 days and i'm only on 55%. though i have an antique machine.

you can restart you compyuter and it saves from where it left off

MacPorter
Feb 26, 2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the quick and informative replies. And thanks for the patience.

I had no idea what the "folding" was in the various signatures until the other day when curiosity got the best of me. Two deaths in my family in the past year because of Alzheimer's.

My MDD is always on so you can bet that I will be a 24/7 cruncher.

Cheers!

PS- When the first protein is done, should I delete the GUI application before I download/install the DP script?

mc68k
Feb 26, 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by MacPorter
My MDD is always on so you can bet that I will be a 24/7 cruncher. good to hear. :)

PS- When the first protein is done, should I delete the GUI application before I download/install the DP script? yeah, once it's done you can delete the app and the folder:

~/Library/Folding@home

then you'll be all set.

MacPorter
Feb 26, 2003, 09:19 PM
Thanks again. I look forward to putting both processors to work.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 1, 2003, 09:09 AM
well, i managed to get 50 work units done, thanks to the new dual 1.25 - and my points went up over 40 points with just 2 WUs!!!

What happened to the days of .5 points for a WU! :D

D

MrMacMan
Mar 1, 2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
well, i managed to get 50 work units done, thanks to the new dual 1.25 - and my points went up over 40 points with just 2 WUs!!!

What happened to the days of .5 points for a WU! :D

D
Ha. :D

I'm getting quiet annoyied at my current protein, it is worth very little and yet taking too damn long.

bousozoku
Mar 1, 2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Ha. :D

I'm getting quiet annoyied at my current protein, it is worth very little and yet taking too damn long.

Hmm...I now have one that's going to take almost 14 days (24/7) on my dual 800...well, once processor of it, and will net us 73 points. :)

zimv20
Mar 1, 2003, 02:24 PM
i joined yesterday as well. good to know i can stop the app and not lose work.

1. just to confirm, i can apple-q and be okay?

2. after my protein is done, it automatically communicates w/ the server? (i've got a 24/7 connection) or do i have to do something?

3. does it start the next protein right away?

spinner
Mar 1, 2003, 03:11 PM
I just joined today. I had some spare time here at work so I went ahead and loaded it. I have a P3 500 here at work and a 350 G3 at home that I will be loading it up on later. Not spectacular machines but its something.

pepeleuepe
Mar 1, 2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by zimv20
i joined yesterday as well. good to know i can stop the app and not lose work.

1. just to confirm, i can apple-q and be okay?

2. after my protein is done, it automatically communicates w/ the server? (i've got a 24/7 connection) or do i have to do something?

3. does it start the next protein right away?

I'll take a crack at answering you questions, even though I'm new also. I just completed my first work unit, ranked #133 and rising.

1. Yes, the program saves its data after each "frame" it computes. This means you might lose at most an hour of work, but the program will start back up from the last completed frame.

2. As long as you didn't change any settings, I'm pretty sure that the default is for the program to do everything automatically. So you should be fine.

3. Yes, it automatically downloads the next protein and begins working again. I'm 0.3% done with WU #2 :D .

It's great to see how many new people have joined, including myself. Hopefully we can keep up the processing and not just do a couple work units and quit. Thanks to Rower and mc68k for helping everyone out. Hope this answered your questions.

pepeleuepe
Mar 1, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by spinner
I just joined today. I had some spare time here at work so I went ahead and loaded it. I have a P3 500 here at work and a 350 G3 at home that I will be loading it up on later. Not spectacular machines but its something.

Everything helps out. My iBook is only a 366mhz G3, but it loves folding :D . It took me about a week to finish my last work unit, but who's counting anyway...oh, wait a sec. Anyway, nice to have another new member, and welcome :) .

spinner
Mar 1, 2003, 03:22 PM
I also just talked one of my friends here at work into loading it on his PC and using our team number. :D Go team MacRumors!!

bousozoku
Mar 1, 2003, 04:00 PM
Thanks to all of you! It's great to see more people taking an interest in helping others. The competition doesn't seem to hurt either. :)

MrMacMan
Mar 1, 2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Thanks to all of you! It's great to see more people taking an interest in helping others. The competition doesn't seem to hurt either. :)
Yeah currently macnn reports a +20 member increase. Good job people.
Our output is increasing and we have a great increase in members so we should be able to hold of the other incoming groups slightly longer.
:D
Oh yeah and we are gonna pass 2 teams in the near future but we still have incoming from behind.
Macnn is really pushing for #3 mac.

bousozoku
Mar 1, 2003, 09:12 PM
I even noticed one or two people who haven't folded for a while have their scores increasing lately. :) It's just too bad so many people got their original experience with one work unit and 0.6 points. Those who have gotten 19.7 points feel much better about their experience, I'm quite certain.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 1, 2003, 09:15 PM
Getting over 40 points yesterday, more than half of all the points I had before I stopped in Decemeber, was quite a surprise. Even though it takes a while to get it all done. I'll probably have a month or so before I get 100 WU, but it will be quite a few more points than I would have thought possible. :D

D

FredAkbar
Mar 1, 2003, 09:50 PM
One quick question...how many "points" is a work unit worth? I'm at about 95% on my first protein thingy, and I'm wondering how many points that will bring in for Team MacRumors :).

--Fred

bousozoku
Mar 1, 2003, 10:34 PM
Match the protein you have to those on the following page to find the points, the deadlines, etc.

http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html

zimv20
Mar 2, 2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by pepeleuepe
Hope this answered your questions.

you did, thank you. it's great that so many people are doing this.

Jaykay
Mar 4, 2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by mc68k
can't really win, but it would be nice to be the top mac team.

thanks 4 ur generous contribution. :)

Fogive my ignornece, but why not?

Rower_CPU
Mar 4, 2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Jaykay
Fogive my ignornece, but why not?

If you get your school going, we could be. ;)

mc68k
Mar 4, 2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Jaykay
Fogive my ignornece, but why not? look at the top non-agregate teams (http://statsman.org/folding2stats/html/index.html). they put out our week total in 6 hours. and they've been doing it for a long time.

but rower is right, 3000-4000 machines in any team would put said team in the top 10 regardless of MHz. i've seen it happen before.

MrMacMan
Mar 6, 2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
look at the top non-agregate teams (http://statsman.org/folding2stats/html/index.html). they put out our week total in 6 hours. and they've been doing it for a long time.

but rower is right, 3000-4000 machines in any team would put said team in the top 10 regardless of MHz. i've seen it happen before.

Yeah any computer as long as it doesn't pass the deadline helps tons.

I'm just saying if 3000 computers put out a unit every 3-5 weeks that still means a massive dump when they are all done.
:D