Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomasz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
Berkeley, California
Well, I would just like to say that I am very happy. :) It has taken forever, but I have finally completed 100 wu on folding.

I feel like I am actually contributing, and feel good about it. (I would have done more, but sadly, I have had many faulty work units.... which occur at around frame 399/400... grrr.. :( but that's another story).

Well, I just wanted to share my joy. And here's to a hundred more....

Tomasz

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: 100 WU done! Finally!

Originally posted by Tomasz
I feel like I am actually contributing, and feel good about it.
you're headed 4 the top 10 you should be proud. you may not have a large percentage of the total team WU, but put with all the other people doing the same thing you guys make a huge difference.
(I would have done more, but sadly, I have had many faulty work units.... which occur at around frame 399/400... grrr.. :( but that's another story).
coulda, woulda, shoulda...i have many horror stories too. i wish i could get those WU back. but patience and perserverance pays off.

kudos Tomasz 4 all ur help. team MR thanks you. :)

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Good job!

I just started today. I threw F@H on 2 computers at home, and 2 at work. I hope to build my way up fast. I want our team to win (if there really is such a thing). Anyways, congrats!;)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Good job!

Originally posted by jethroted
I just started today. I threw F@H on 2 computers at home, and 2 at work. I hope to build my way up fast. I want our team to win (if there really is such a thing). Anyways, congrats!;)
can't really win, but it would be nice to be the top mac team.

thanks 4 ur generous contribution. :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, congrats - I'm hoping to follow you soon, just got the dual 1.25 up and going. Hope it works....thanks for the scripts mc68k!

D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Congratulations and thanks for contributing!

It's great to see more people taking the effort.

Now, if we had a few hundred people using their dual processor machines, we'd make a bigger dent. :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
Congrats on getting 100.

I guess I should switch over the MacRumors team.

Who are you with now and how many Work Units have you done?

And you should switch! :D

D

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
I have been folding with Team Mac OS X, because at the time I started, that was one of the few Mac teams I saw on the stats page. Just got back to folding a few weeks back, after about half a year or so of neglecting to install the client again.

Once I finish the unit I'm on now, I'll change the team number over.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
WooHoo! Another folding member....

But its not like Team Mac OSX needs anymore members, they're ranked 25th with about twice as many points as MacRumors. With over 700 members, they won't miss you. Thanks for helping the underdog! :D

D

MacPorter

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Victory Brewpub
Another newbie to the team here with a couple of newbie questions...

Is a work unit when you complete a protein (100%)?

I installed the GUI version late Monday night 02/24 and I am at 45.3% today. The dialogue window is telling me
Benchmarking...
and has said so since the beginning. Is all well here?

Only to 45% after 36 hours - is that slow? I have a MDD867.

Finally, can I stop it and resume without loosing ground? I have a 512 from Crucial being delivered this afternoon:D and I will have to shut down to install it. I don't want to screw my protein up.

Anyhow, thanks in advance.

MacPorter

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Victory Brewpub
One last (I know, I know)-

mc68k-

I just read in another area about your dual processor script. I am interested in using that rather than my GUI. Should I delete it or just install from your scripts and not run GUI any more? Will I loose credit if I delete now?

Yes, I am painfully new.

Thanks!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by MacPorter
I just read in another area about your dual processor script. I am interested in using that rather than my GUI.
cool. :)

Should I delete it or just install from your scripts and not run GUI any more? Will I loose credit if I delete now?
yes, you will lose credit if you quit now. just wait until it's finished since you're so far along.

Yes, I am painfully new.
ha, werent we all once? :)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
After a unit has begun processing, can you change the team number before it is submitted, or will it have to wait for the next unit?
the only time it checks team info is when it sends it in, so yes you can change it.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002

Only to 45% after 36 hours - is that slow? I have a MDD867.

Finally, can I stop it and resume without loosing ground? I have a 512 from Crucial being delivered this afternoon:D and I will have to shut down to install it. I don't want to screw my protein up.

Anyhow, thanks in advance.

no its not, mines been on none stop for a week and 2 days and i'm only on 55%. though i have an antique machine.

you can restart you compyuter and it saves from where it left off

MacPorter

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Victory Brewpub
Thanks everyone for the quick and informative replies. And thanks for the patience.

I had no idea what the "folding" was in the various signatures until the other day when curiosity got the best of me. Two deaths in my family in the past year because of Alzheimer's.

My MDD is always on so you can bet that I will be a 24/7 cruncher.

Cheers!

PS- When the first protein is done, should I delete the GUI application before I download/install the DP script?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
My MDD is always on so you can bet that I will be a 24/7 cruncher.
good to hear. :)

PS- When the first protein is done, should I delete the GUI application before I download/install the DP script?
yeah, once it's done you can delete the app and the folder:

~/Library/Folding@home

then you'll be all set.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
well, i managed to get 50 work units done, thanks to the new dual 1.25 - and my points went up over 40 points with just 2 WUs!!!

What happened to the days of .5 points for a WU! :D

D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by dukestreet
well, i managed to get 50 work units done, thanks to the new dual 1.25 - and my points went up over 40 points with just 2 WUs!!!

What happened to the days of .5 points for a WU! :D

D
Ha. :D

I'm getting quiet annoyied at my current protein, it is worth very little and yet taking too damn long.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by MrMacman
Ha. :D

I'm getting quiet annoyied at my current protein, it is worth very little and yet taking too damn long.

Hmm...I now have one that's going to take almost 14 days (24/7) on my dual 800...well, once processor of it, and will net us 73 points. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.