Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
ok, so after hearing about folding for so long, i finally downloaded the graphical version for OS X and have it running for team MR. the only problem is, that, it says 0.0% progress. it's been running for a while now, and i don't understand it. did i do something wrong? i also have been running seti, and it usually takes about 16 hours for one work unit to complete; i have 7 done. i quit seti when i run folding, so as to devote my processor solely to it. i'm using an 800 mhz 17" iMac, if that helps at all.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
ok, update: it's at 0.3%, going reeal slow... how long does it take most people to complete a work unit?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by beez7777
how long does it take most people to complete a work unit?
depends on the WU they gave you. take a look here to find out how long it would take on a 400MHz celeron (benchmarking machine).

we have a lab of 700MHz eMacs here, and they're not the fastest folders. but there's no special instructions like altivec or SSE to help you out. just pure CPU and Mhz.

the key is pateince. anything they give you will take a while.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I've got a question. I started folding last night, and I was up to around 7% this afternoon. I restarted my computer after installing an update to a program I use, and now when I opened up the Folding@home program again, it was back to 0%. It's currently at 0.3%. I thought Folding@home saves your info if you quit or whatever...what gives?

--Fred

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
hmm...what kinda protein were you folding? maybe you finished it, otherwise i don't know i personally have never had that happen, it always resumes for me.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by howard
hmm...what kinda protein were you folding? maybe you finished it, otherwise i don't know i personally have never had that happen, it always resumes for me.

Hell if I know...what do you mean "what kind of protein" ? lol all I know is that I was folding and then i restarted and then it started over at 0%....oh well.

--Fred

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by topicolo
On a side note, how much faster is the GUI version versus the CLI version? Is it the same for PCs?
you can judge through top in the command line by opening up the app and running it. look at how much %CPU the folding app takes up.

folding has two processes associated with it:
o Fahcore_65 - does all the crunching
o the controlling app
-- for console OSX-3.24
-- for GUI Folding@home

since fahcore does all the crunching, you can ignore this as it is the same for both gui and CLI. the driving app is the one you want to look at.

for CLI i noticed no processor usage ever on the controlling program.

for GUI i noticed the same results if you never display the protein. if the protein was displayed, like 10-20% depending on display options. even if you hide the app after displaying the protein it seems to take up 10%.

its not a whole lot since it's periodic, but CLI offers flexibility (background running, DP, etc.) and less processor usage. for no-hassle use GUI.

these are mac observations only. PCs i don't care as much about.

MacPorter

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Victory Brewpub
Ok, I'm in - username Sully. I am crunching my first protein, P632_TZ3_NAT (yummy).:p

Do I have to maintain my network connection while doing so?

Cheers!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by MacPorter
Ok, I'm in - username Sully. I am crunching my first protein, P632_TZ3_NAT (yummy).:p

Do I have to maintain my network connection while doing so?

Cheers!
no, only when sending and recieving proteins. so in ur case, since u already have the protein, u only need the connection when it's finished.

thanks 4 contributing. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.