PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS 10.4.7 To Feature Upgraded iSync?

MacRumors
Jun 12, 2006, 07:27 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1801) and corroborated by a MacRumors source, Apple's upcoming 10.4.7 update to its Mac OS will include, among other things, an updated iSync utility.

According to AppleInsider and our source, Build 8J2126 for Intel Macs includes iSync 2.3 (current is 2.2) and includes support for "many additional phones" including Motorola's RAZR v3x.

There are some indications that AppleInsider's source and MacRumors' source are one-and-the-same, but that in of itself does not rule out the legitimacy of the rumor.

DeSnousa
Jun 12, 2006, 07:31 PM
Rumor :rolleyes: This is bound to happen, new products come out and Apple needs to provide support for it, nuff said.

Di9it8
Jun 12, 2006, 07:32 PM

When will any phones sync fully with Mac OS:rolleyes:

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 12, 2006, 07:36 PM
Better syncing is always good. Even though I must say my (fairly) new Sony Ericsson Z520i syncs much better than the Sony Ericsson T68i it replaced. But I'm sure there's always room for improvements... ;)

When will any phones sync fully with Mac OS:rolleyes:When Apple makes it's own phones, of course... :rolleyes:

fblack
Jun 12, 2006, 07:39 PM
Just out of curiosity it says Build 8J2126 for Intel Macs, does this mean no sync 2.3 for PowerPc macs?:confused:

yankeefan24
Jun 12, 2006, 07:42 PM
Just out of curiosity it says Build 8J2126 for Intel Macs, does this mean no sync 2.3 for PowerPc macs?:confused:

Yes, there will be a PPC version. But the article is a bit unclear about it. I would be surprised if apple didn't include it. What I would like is full sync support with iPhoto to work with my brand new Sony DSC-H5. It registers and imports, but it says the camera is untitled in the sidebar and doesn't have the picture of it when importing (I know, none of you know what I mean…). I used to use iSync, but don't any more. It's not that iSync doesn't support my devices (but it doesn't), it's that I have always found calendars hard to use on cell phones.

shawnce
Jun 12, 2006, 07:45 PM

Tap dancing on the edge of Apple's NDA... Mac OS X 10.4.7 exists for both Intel and PowerPC but have slightly different build numbers (currently 8J126 for PowerPC and 8J2126 for Intel).

mkrishnan
Jun 12, 2006, 07:53 PM
I like the poll + rumor format a lot -- just a random kudo. ;)

My phone (V3) is already supported. The thing I need most from iSync is WM5 support -- which I don't need badly, but I would like to be able to sync my Axim x51v (which I mostly use to read PDAs and check e-mail via WiFi). So mostly I'm waiting for PocketMac or MissingSync to get up to speed on WM5. Because Apple isn't likely to be adding that feature in 10.4.7... :(

fblack
Jun 12, 2006, 07:54 PM
Tap dancing on the edge of Apple's NDA... Mac OS X 10.4.7 exists for both Intel and PowerPC but have slightly different build numbers (currently 8J126 for PowerPC and 8J2126 for Intel).

kool, thanx. What I would like is for expaned features in isync, like transfering address book photos, oh and home made ringtones (I dont have bluetooth) would be nice too.

muffinman
Jun 12, 2006, 07:56 PM
sweet. will work for my PEG TG-50 Sony Clie

Stella
Jun 12, 2006, 08:00 PM
How about putting one syncing conduit back into one app - none of this syncing outside of iSync - i.e., .Mac and iPod ( for photos, address etc not music - due to iTunes for windows )

Bad software design... to have the output all over the system - this confuses users and macs syncing more difficult.

iSync should be an app ( and has been ) where isyncing modules can be 'plugged' in. Every user will know what app is used for syncing - all centralised and modularised - that is iSync.

I know this is not going to happen, but the current syncing for devices is nothing but a mess.

JRM PowerPod
Jun 12, 2006, 08:07 PM
Cool, i've been battling with my v3x for quite a while now

Tis good news

david_r_p
Jun 12, 2006, 08:07 PM
How about putting one syncing conduit back into one app - none of this syncing outside of iSync - i.e., .Mac and iPod ( for photos, address etc not music - due to iTunes for windows )

Bad software design... to have the output all over the system - this confuses users and macs syncing more difficult.

iSync should be an app ( and has been ) where isyncing modules can be 'plugged' in. Every user will know what app is used for syncing - all centralised and modularised - that is iSync.

I know this is not going to happen, but the current syncing for devices is nothing but a mess.

Man you nailed this one. iPod syncs to iTunes; camera to iPhoto; video recorder to iMovie; and little orphaned devices (pdas, phones, etc.) to iSync??? Seems like the phones and pdas should be syncing within an app like AdressBook or iCal to follow Apple's formula.

Freg3000
Jun 12, 2006, 08:13 PM

Total mess. I completely agree. Once upon a time I could use iSync for everything. Now I use iSync, System Preferences (.Mac pref panel), and iTunes...

How is that easier Steve?

JZ Wire
Jun 12, 2006, 08:14 PM
iSync is cool although I don't use it too often. I know Safari will be one of those apps they are fixing in this update but Id like to see much more focus on it. I love the speed of Camino but no matter what browser I use I always find myself coming back to Safari.

ITASOR
Jun 12, 2006, 08:15 PM
Man you nailed this one. iPod syncs to iTunes; camera to iPhoto; video recorder to iMovie; and little orphaned devices (pdas, phones, etc.) to iSync??? Seems like the phones and pdas should be syncing within an app like AdressBook or iCal to follow Apple's formula.

Phones do sync to address book and iCal...

Stella
Jun 12, 2006, 08:19 PM
Phones do sync to address book and iCal...

He means having to use address book and iCal to sync to your phone, instead of using iSync.

SilvorX
Jun 12, 2006, 08:23 PM
My Motorola v635 is on the list, but each time I connect the phone to iSync, the phone just disconnects, however my v635 has a more stable connection on my Mac than any of the PCs I use, it takes like 12 tries to connect to the computer, while on the Mac it only takes 2-3.. I'll have to try after the update (although it's already supported) to see if it will finally sync fully

Off topic, but just something a bit neat, the Nokia "Safari" user agent string is: "Nokia E61: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413"

Of course there is probably slightly different strings, ie different phone models

Abstract
Jun 12, 2006, 08:40 PM
I have like a gazillion posts here at MR, and have been here for years, and yet I can't figure out why some of this news is considered MacRumours posts (Page 1), and why some of this isn't considered MacBytes (Page 2). This isn't as bad as some of the other stuff posted on MacRumours rather than MacBytes, so I'll give you that.

This sort of thing happens all the time, so even if your source just made this up, it might actually come true in 10.4.7 regardless.

mymacluvsme
Jun 12, 2006, 08:41 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1801) and corroborated by a MacRumors source, Apple's upcoming 10.4.7 update to its Mac OS will include, among other things, an updated iSync utility.

"Among other things..."

What are they?

Abstract
Jun 12, 2006, 08:41 PM

It's been doing that for ages. I sync my phone with Address book and iCal almost every day via BlueTooth. I used to do this with my PDA 3 years ago (when I still used PDAs ;) ). Same with my iPod, although Apple messed things up and makes iPod sync through iTunes, which sort of defeats the purpose of having iSync, but we won't go into that again here.

7on
Jun 12, 2006, 08:53 PM
Hopefully the v710 motorola BT sync will finally be supported. I hate hacking the plist everytime. :mad:

GreenCountry
Jun 12, 2006, 09:14 PM
Come on BlackBerry... show me BlackBerry support!

(Please no one recommend PocketMac - I've tried it and it's well documented how bad it is, and I've suffered bad results because of it too, including appointments on the wrong date/time - absolutely unacceptable)

mduser63
Jun 12, 2006, 09:23 PM
I have like a gazillion posts here at MR, and have been here for years, and yet I can't figure out why some of this news is considered MacRumours posts (Page 1), and why some of this isn't considered MacBytes (Page 2). This isn't as bad as some of the other stuff posted on MacRumours rather than MacBytes, so I'll give you that.

This sort of thing happens all the time, so even if your source just made this up, it might actually come true in 10.4.7 regardless.

Umm..well MacBytes is for straight up news, and rarely are rumors posted there. Page 1 is for fairly good/substantive rumors (and major news) and Page 2 is for rumors that are from a dubious source or quite likely to be made-up. This is not news as it hasn't happened yet and comes from an anonymous source. It's not really a page 2 rumor because an improvement in iSync in an OS X point update is both likely and has occurred before. Also it's posted by two different reasonably reliable rumors sites. I think that places it squarely in MacRumors Page 1 territory.

Yvan256
Jun 12, 2006, 10:12 PM
To be honest, I voted "No, but I would if my device was supported" but I have no idea if my phone is even supported. It's not Bluetooth (and neither is my Mac mini) and the phone companies are always trying to sell us the "optionnal" things (such as data cables) at incredibly expensive prices.

I got my phone for free with a three years contract. Am I really expected to pay 30-40$ CAD for a simple USB cable? :rolleyes:

Besides, iTunes syncs very well with my iPods... I only wish we could enter data into the iPod like a PDA. Next one perhaps? (you know, the "true video, widescreen, touch-screen" one?)

illegalprelude
Jun 12, 2006, 10:22 PM
Hopefully the v710 motorola BT sync will finally be supported. I hate hacking the plist everytime. :mad:

its not that our phone isnt supported. its that the phone is Crippeled from Verizon. Hopefully you got in on the Lawsuit. YOu cana sync with a cord but just not the bluetooth

hokullani
Jun 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
Does any one remember if when they made the transition from panther to tiger do you have to pay for the new one or is it a download??

jaydub
Jun 12, 2006, 10:54 PM
I was overjoyed to find that my Sony Ericsson S710a is fully supported. I now keep my entire datebook on my phone, and all my contacts are standardized and contain all the information I'll need when I'm on the go. It has saved me from having to keep my Palm Tungsten T5 with me at all times. I'd be even happier if the sync included pictures, however.

treblah
Jun 12, 2006, 11:32 PM
Does any one remember if when they made the transition from panther to tiger do you have to pay for the new one or is it a download??

Tiger (10.4) was a paid upgrade to Panther (10.3). MSRP is $129.

"Among other things..."

What are they?

Bug fixes, probably some security patches, the usual. (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1752)

JFreak
Jun 13, 2006, 12:28 AM
my (fairly) new Sony Ericsson Z520i syncs much better than the Sony Ericsson T68i it replaced.

Same here. But can you send SMS from address book with your Z520i like you used to with the T68i? Mine does not send, although the software looks like everything is ok.

Have to test again once the 10.4.7 has been installed. Might be a bug. I haven't checked if the proper bluetooth profile is supported or not :rolleyes: *lazy*

rspress
Jun 13, 2006, 01:04 AM
I use iSync and dotmac Sync all the time. I back up all the included dotmac options once a week. I also keep my Razr via Bluetooth, iPod via dock and PDA via cradle synced with each other. This way my iCal and Address Book are always within reach of at least one device I have with me, often two devices. It is also on my dotmac site so all my internet devices have access to it as well.

It would be great if Apple added more ease of use features to iCal and updated iPhoto to download pictures from my Razr via bluetooth.

BTW. I bet Apple will release 10.4.7 on 6-13-06.:cool:

ErikGrim
Jun 13, 2006, 01:50 AM
I just wish they would bring back the oneclick sync to both .Mac and phone from the menubar without having to have iSync open.

Josias
Jun 13, 2006, 02:02 AM
I have a camera phone with a resolution of 352x288 pixles (>0.1 mpx). It's a Siemens MC60. If it supported BT or USB, and had a decent camera, I'd probabbly use iSync.

JFreak
Jun 13, 2006, 02:04 AM
bring back the oneclick sync to both .Mac and phone

I don't care about dotmac unless they make it radically cheaper. Currently it's radically overpriced for what it has to offer; one way to make the pricing more attractive would be to include one year of dotmac subscription into iLife suite.

But $99 for dotmac and $79 for iLife (software that utilizes dotmac for nice additional features) means $178 yearly fee for using the latest Apple features -- and that is not including OSX upgrades.

Are people really buying that?

mkrishnan
Jun 13, 2006, 02:05 AM
I have a camera phone with a resolution of 352x288 pixles (>0.1 mpx). It's a Siemens MC60. If it supported BT or USB, and had a decent camera, I'd probabbly use iSync.

Well, Apple certainly can't fix that in its new update....

Bad Beaver
Jun 13, 2006, 02:23 AM
Yeah, more support for fashion victims! :rolleyes:

Apple really needs to get down to business with iSync. I have an elderly SE P800 which would finally start to sync well with the advent of Tiger's iSync that would install an app on the phone itself. But well does not mean sufficiently. Apple should realize that say iCal offers different calendars (say "private", "business", "kids", "birthdays"), and many phones have that feature too. It is very nice since these all have different colors and are therefore easily identified. But do we get these categories to sync? No way. This is a very basic thing and I wonder why it still does not work. Seeing that certain phones won't even sync address-book pictures makes one realize how ridiculously basic iSync still is.

Some_Big_Spoon
Jun 13, 2006, 02:41 AM
Whadya'll think about Apple providing MissingSync-like support for Windows Mobile? iSync 3? :cool:

netdog
Jun 13, 2006, 02:45 AM
Whadya'll think about Apple providing MissingSync-like support for Windows Mobile? iSync 3? :cool:

I want the contact and scheduling lists in my HP Win-based PDA supported. A lot of people would be happy about this judging by the discussions in the Mac forum at Parallels' site.

VicMacs
Jun 13, 2006, 03:08 AM
treo support would be nice... lots of 650s out there, no real connectivity on this one

VicMacs
Jun 13, 2006, 03:11 AM

Boot Camp?

bigandy
Jun 13, 2006, 03:13 AM

I think it's somewhat unlikely, seeing as they're endorsing Missing Sync on the iSync pages...

elguille
Jun 13, 2006, 03:15 AM
hope that work with my Samsung ZV10

johnthevulcan
Jun 13, 2006, 03:32 AM
WHATS ISYNC:confused: :confused: :confused:

Some_Big_Spoon
Jun 13, 2006, 03:36 AM
Apple's promoted lots of software that it's then upped and copied :-D

I think it's somewhat unlikely, seeing as they're endorsing Missing Sync on the iSync pages...

iBrow
Jun 13, 2006, 03:47 AM
WHATS ISYNC:confused: :confused: :confused:

iSync (http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/features/isync/)

iSync makes it even easier to make and keep your appointments. That’s because iSync 2, Apple’s hot synchronising software — now included with Mac OS X Tiger — works with more than thirty mobile phone models and your PDA.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 13, 2006, 04:10 AM
Same here. But can you send SMS from address book with your Z520i like you used to with the T68i? Mine does not send, although the software looks like everything is ok.That's exactly what happened to me, too. All looked OK, but the message never arrived at its destination.

But, since I don't really need the feature (I send SMSs from a free, on-line site ;)) I just thought "meh" and forgot about it.

MacBoobsPro
Jun 13, 2006, 04:42 AM
I'd like to see the bluetooth part of it work properly. I can sync with the cable but not via bluetooth. I also have a supposedly supported phone (SLVR) but bluetooth just will not work at all with my mac. So I have a really cool phone with half its features I cant use as well as a $30 BT dongle that is useless. :( Even bluetooth file transfer doesnt work - thats what i wanted to use the most. :(

xUKHCx
Jun 13, 2006, 04:56 AM
I'd like to see the bluetooth part of it work properly. I can sync with the cable but not via bluetooth. I also have a supposedly supported phone (SLVR) but bluetooth just will not work at all with my mac. So I have a really cool phone with half its features I cant use as well as a $30 BT dongle that is useless. :( Even bluetooth file transfer doesnt work - thats what i wanted to use the most. :(

I personally think this is due to the phone, my housemate had one and whenever we tried to connect to it via bluetooth, be it from the computer or another phone, the phone would completly freeze until the connection was stopped. Just another example of motorola crap phones.

MacBoobsPro
Jun 13, 2006, 05:21 AM
I personally think this is due to the phone, my housemate had one and whenever we tried to connect to it via bluetooth, be it from the computer or another phone, the phone would completly freeze until the connection was stopped. Just another example of motorola crap phones.

I contacted Motorola about this and they said it was to do with Apple however hundreds of people on the Apple Discussion boards (myself included) believe its to do with Motorola not using the correct protocols. But Im making the point here just incase it is something to do with Apple. :)

But lets not get off subject :D

jaxstate
Jun 13, 2006, 06:19 AM
how about some frickin MS smartphone support!!:mad:

zoozx
Jun 13, 2006, 06:22 AM
I wish Apple would FIX the FINDER & other important every day issues with the system before working on these types of Frivalous
fringe issues!
It seems apple has lost it's way over the years!

rspress
Jun 13, 2006, 06:22 AM
I don't care about dotmac unless they make it radically cheaper. Currently it's radically overpriced for what it has to offer; one way to make the pricing more attractive would be to include one year of dotmac subscription into iLife suite.

But $99 for dotmac and $79 for iLife (software that utilizes dotmac for nice additional features) means $178 yearly fee for using the latest Apple features -- and that is not including OSX upgrades.

Are people really buying that?

I to thought dotmac was way to expensive. I was given a membership as a gift from a Mac user I had helped out over the years and since dotmac allows the keychains to be saved really saved my bacon when I erased them all when messing around with the keychain files. That was easily worth 99 bucks for the work it saved. When a hard drive failed it was worth 99 bucks to have my bookmarks, calendars, keychains, mail accounts and other tidbits replaced with a single click.

I used to feel that way about iLife but considering that upgrades for similar windows programs cost more and don’t offer half of the cool features that iLife does that “upgrade” price every year is not too bad. I do wish that Apple would offer a price break for those of us that bought the last version however.

Lollypop
Jun 13, 2006, 06:47 AM
I hope that they add a whole lot of phones and make it easier for 3rd parties to add support for their phone. Also think iSync should be the centre of apple sync world again, no itunes syncing

spyderracer393
Jun 13, 2006, 06:51 AM
He means having to use address book and iCal to sync to your phone, instead of using iSync.

think about it...whats easier? opening up one app (iSync) to sync two apps (iCal and Address Book), or opening up two apps and syncing from both of them?

MattG
Jun 13, 2006, 07:25 AM

(Please no one recommend PocketMac - I've tried it and it's well documented how bad it is, and I've suffered bad results because of it too, including appointments on the wrong date/time - absolutely unacceptable)

That's what I'm talking about...

I want to be able to tether my Blackberry to my Mac so I can use its EVDO Internet connection.

7on
Jun 13, 2006, 07:32 AM
I to thought dotmac was way to expensive. I was given a membership as a gift from a Mac user I had helped out over the years and since dotmac allows the keychains to be saved really saved my bacon when I erased them all when messing around with the keychain files. That was easily worth 99 bucks for the work it saved. When a hard drive failed it was worth 99 bucks to have my bookmarks, calendars, keychains, mail accounts and other tidbits replaced with a single click.

I used to feel that way about iLife but considering that upgrades for similar windows programs cost more and don’t offer half of the cool features that iLife does that “upgrade” price every year is not too bad. I do wish that Apple would offer a price break for those of us that bought the last version however.

You can get .Mac from Amazon.com for $80

Abstract
Jun 13, 2006, 07:42 AM
Umm..well MacBytes is for straight up news, and rarely are rumors posted there. Page 1 is for fairly good/substantive rumors (and major news) and Page 2 is for rumors that are from a dubious source or quite likely to be made-up. This is not news as it hasn't happened yet and comes from an anonymous source. It's not really a page 2 rumor because an improvement in iSync in an OS X point update is both likely and has occurred before. Also it's posted by two different reasonably reliable rumors sites. I think that places it squarely in MacRumors Page 1 territory.

What about the 2nd "rumour" about the TV adverts? What about the 3rd "rumour" on the page about the Intel Tri-Gate transistors? What about the rumour that tells us that CBS has put shows on iTunes, or the rumour just below that one that tells us that the MacBook is Time's "Gadget of the week"?? There's a lot more rumours that aren't rumours.

This isn't a rumour. Apple is working on updating iSync, but it always will for as long as iSync exists. They update iSync with pretty much every update, so it's not a rumour, really. Otherwise, every single small update for every single Apple app included with OSX would have it's own rumour. Same with OSX. There's no need to post a rumour about something that's ongoing.

"And today's rumour update: Apple is currently working on improvements to Mac OS X Tiger." Shocker.

JFreak
Jun 13, 2006, 08:00 AM

It is still a very expensive email account. Yes, there are more features than that, but it's still a rip-off.

I personally think that Apple would benefit from including dotmac into the iLife bundle. Come to think of it, not many of my friends actually pay for the iLife (sadly, many are borrowing discs) but were there dotmac included, there would be nice incentive for people to actually pay for the bundle.

And yes, I do really think that dotmac should cost about $20/year if they really must charge for it, and therefore it would be feasible to tie it into the iLife bundle. But maybe that's just me -- perhaps the rest of the world wants to pay $99 or $80 for it.

I would pay $20.

tkidBOSTON
Jun 13, 2006, 08:28 AM
I got my phone for free with a three years contract. Am I really expected to pay 30-40$ CAD for a simple USB cable? :rolleyes:

:eek: 3 YEARS?! wow, I'm sorry to hear that...

But back on topic-- I would love to see more smartphone support, esp the Blackberry support that was mentioned a few times earlier.

irish...john
Jun 13, 2006, 08:43 AM
Hi - i just recently bought the new Motorola Ming ( a1200 ) it's a very cool toy but would be much more fun if it played with my mac's ....

Any ideas ... News ?

Thanks

Kardashian
Jun 13, 2006, 09:00 AM
PLEASE Support the LG Chocolate. :(

devman
Jun 13, 2006, 09:26 AM
Same here. But can you send SMS from address book with your Z520i like you used to with the T68i? Mine does not send, although the software looks like everything is ok.

Have to test again once the 10.4.7 has been installed. Might be a bug. I haven't checked if the proper bluetooth profile is supported or not :rolleyes: *lazy*

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050731124746116 Worked perfectly for my S700i.

ejl10
Jun 13, 2006, 09:32 AM
I loved iSync with my SE T637... it worked beautifully. Salling Clicker was just awesome, too (auto-pause on phone calls blows people away). Now I've "upgraded" to the fancy Samsung T509, and I miss iSync more than I expected. C'mon Apple... I want my iSync back!

scifiman
Jun 13, 2006, 09:48 AM
Does anyone have an estimate of when 10.4.7 will be released? I'm currently working on new images to deploy and would like to wait if possible. Since this is the 2nd or 3rd rumor I've heard about it, I'm guessing it won't be too much longer. Maybe a couple weeks to a month, but it anyone has a more definite time estimate, that would be appreciated.

xUKHCx
Jun 13, 2006, 09:58 AM
Does anyone have an estimate of when 10.4.7 will be released? I'm currently working on new images to deploy and would like to wait if possible. Since this is the 2nd or 3rd rumor I've heard about it, I'm guessing it won't be too much longer. Maybe a couple weeks to a month, but it anyone has a more definite time estimate, that would be appreciated.

I reckon we will definately see it within that time scale, if not sooner as all reports suggest no bugs in the release and the builds have been coming out pretty quickly suggesting it is getting very close.

Is it just me but 10.4.7 makes it seem like we have 10.4 for ages now, i know panther went all the way to 10.3.9 but that didnt seem like long. Probably just a physcology thing as 10.4.6 seemed fine to me, but 10.4.7 just seems that much further.

Stella
Jun 13, 2006, 10:20 AM
think about it...whats easier? opening up one app (iSync) to sync two apps (iCal and Address Book), or opening up two apps and syncing from both of them?
You obviously missed my rant on page 1 :-)

Squonk
Jun 13, 2006, 10:21 AM

:cool: I bought mine on eBay for $45 shipped. :cool:

Stella
Jun 13, 2006, 10:21 AM
I wish Apple would FIX the FINDER & other important every day issues with the system before working on these types of Frivalous
fringe issues!
It seems apple has lost it's way over the years!

For some people, iSync is an every day task, and isn't a fringe issue, and apple are absolutely correct in adding support for new phones and fixing issues.

dr_lha
Jun 13, 2006, 10:54 AM
When will any phones sync fully with Mac OS:rolleyes:
My SE T617 does.

Abstract
Jun 13, 2006, 11:37 AM
It is still a very expensive email account. Yes, there are more features than that, but it's still a rip-off.

I personally think that Apple would benefit from including dotmac into the iLife bundle. Come to think of it, not many of my friends actually pay for the iLife (sadly, many are borrowing discs) but were there dotmac included, there would be nice incentive for people to actually pay for the bundle.

And yes, I do really think that dotmac should cost about $20/year if they really must charge for it, and therefore it would be feasible to tie it into the iLife bundle. But maybe that's just me -- perhaps the rest of the world wants to pay $99 or $80 for it.

I would pay $20.

And you're absolutely right.

Google offers unlimited storage for free, while .Mac gets you less storage for $99? Per year? I'd save $500 over 5 years by going with Google rather than Dot-Mac? Absurd, really. Yes, Google makes money back from advertising, but they don't make $99 from every Google user via Gmail. I don't even get my mail via my browser. I use Mail.app, while other PC users use Outlook or a similar program.

Apple is offering more than Gmail, but these things can be purchased for less than $20 per year. Webspace? Did Apple invent making webpages and providing webspace for users to make their own webpage?

Apple really has to offer something absolutely incredible for .Mac to be worth $99.

Freg3000
Jun 13, 2006, 11:40 AM
What about the 2nd "rumour" about the TV adverts? What about the 3rd "rumour" on the page about the Intel Tri-Gate transistors? What about the rumour that tells us that CBS has put shows on iTunes, or the rumour just below that one that tells us that the MacBook is Time's "Gadget of the week"?? There's a lot more rumours that aren't rumours.

This isn't a rumour. Apple is working on updating iSync, but it always will for as long as iSync exists. They update iSync with pretty much every update, so it's not a rumour, really. Otherwise, every single small update for every single Apple app included with OSX would have it's own rumour. Same with OSX. There's no need to post a rumour about something that's ongoing.

"And today's rumour update: Apple is currently working on improvements to Mac OS X Tiger." Shocker.

Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About

Mac Rumors isn't just about rumors, it's about important news concerning all aspects of the Apple world. Big rumors/news go on the front page. Questionable rumors/news of less importance go on Page 2. Completely run of the mill and generally unimportant daily news goes to Mac Bytes.

It doesn't need to be a rumor (CBS shows now added to iTunes, intel develops new technology) for it to appear on the front page. Mac Rumors != only rumors.

slu
Jun 13, 2006, 11:43 AM

I agree and could not have said it better myself.

I would suggest you send this to Apple via the OS X feedback link (http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/). I am going to do this as well.

Now I don't think it will happen either, but the more people that give feedback, the better chance we will have.

Oh, and I love Stella as well :D

FaasNat
Jun 13, 2006, 12:56 PM
[.....]
I would pay $20.
Yeah, I'd also get it if it was $20.

The thing with iSync for me is that it can't map iCal calendars and Address Book groups to Palm's categories like MissingSync can. That's the main reason I stopped using iSync and picked up Missing Sync. (after getting it, I now kinda like the iPhoto sync capabilities of MissingSync since I've been using my phone's camera to take pictures and video of my daughter....)

morespce54
Jun 13, 2006, 01:14 PM

I'm 100% behind you on this one...
If it's now only a "conduit", then why make it an application (in Applications' folder). Now I need an iPod, a PDA and a cellphone. Currently, I can't sync my address book on my iPod (I don't have a Mac account and my iPod is not set to sync with iTunes) so I need a PDA. My PDA do not sync with iPhoto so I need a cellphone (OK it's not the only reason here). Now, that's convergence!

:( ;)

GreenCountry
Jun 13, 2006, 01:55 PM
But back on topic-- I would love to see more smartphone support, esp the Blackberry support that was mentioned a few times earlier.

On the topic of smartphone support generally, including Blackberry, Treo, etc., I wonder if the PC vs Mac commercial with the Mac saying "You guys should see what this [PC] guy can do with spreadsheets" indicates it's unlikely they would extend support in the direction of business productivity (i.e., if improving smartphone connectivity, then more likely for iTunes phones and whatnot rather than PDAs 2.0).

In other words, I was surprised to see such a candid concession that implies the PC is "better" than the Mac at business "stuff", and wonder if it means Apple doesn't care to change that.

morespce54
Jun 13, 2006, 02:04 PM

I would pay $20.

Right on !!! :D

And you're absolutely right.

Google offers unlimited storage for free, while .Mac gets you less storage for $99? Per year? I'd save $500 over 5 years by going with Google rather than Dot-Mac? Absurd, really. Yes, Google makes money back from advertising, but they don't make $99 from every Google user via Gmail. I don't even get my mail via my browser. I use Mail.app, while other PC users use Outlook or a similar program.

Apple is offering more than Gmail, but these things can be purchased for less than $20 per year. Webspace? Did Apple invent making webpages and providing webspace for users to make their own webpage?

Apple really has to offer something absolutely incredible for .Mac to be worth $99.

So right on !!! :D :D

DJS1234
Jun 13, 2006, 02:09 PM

amen to that!
I love my Blackberry and wish it could talk to my Mac (I won't let Pocketmac anywhere near my Macbook, I had an awful experience with pocketmac for pocketpc that required an OS X re-install, i'll never trust pocketxxx software ever again)

Mac and Blackberry are so similar in that they are complex yet simple to use and "Just Work" please why can't they just work with each other!!!

Come on Apple and RIM, bang heads together and get them working!

tkidBOSTON
Jun 13, 2006, 02:12 PM
On the topic of smartphone support generally, including Blackberry, Treo, etc., I wonder if the PC vs Mac commercial with the Mac saying "You guys should see what this [PC] guy can do with spreadsheets" indicates it's unlikely they would extend support in the direction of business productivity (i.e., if improving smartphone connectivity, then more likely for iTunes phones and whatnot rather than PDAs 2.0).

In other words, I was surprised to see such a candid concession that implies the PC is "better" than the Mac at business "stuff", and wonder if it means Apple doesn't care to change that.

I really hope this is not the case because they would be losing out on a huge segement of the population. I know a lot of people that are picking up smartphones and PDAs outside of the business world as people try to pack more and more into their days and life moves faster and faster. With the always-on-the-go lifestyle people are adopting, push email is not just for the business users anymore.

But I dont know. I can see your point. However, I 1) hope it doesnt happen and 2) really hope that the awful advertisments apple keeps putting out doesnt imply anything in context to this rumor.

erlendscott
Jun 13, 2006, 02:19 PM
On the topic of iPod syncing in iTunes, I personally think that it is better than when it was in iSync. I always forgot to sync my iPod with iSync, so having it in iTunes is fine because it happens when I sync my music onto my iPod.

iSync does work fine with my phone, and I've previously used it with a Palm which worked ok as well. Never tried .Mac , too expensive for me. I used it when it was free and it was really good, but as a student it just isn't worth the money.

kevmbpro
Jun 13, 2006, 02:39 PM
10.4.7 was supposed to be released days ago...now it is simply lagging....

Eraserhead
Jun 13, 2006, 02:53 PM
On the topic of iPod syncing in iTunes, I personally think that it is better than when it was in iSync. I always forgot to sync my iPod with iSync, so having it in iTunes is fine because it happens when I sync my music onto my iPod.

iSync does work fine with my phone, and I've previously used it with a Palm which worked ok as well. Never tried .Mac , too expensive for me. I used it when it was free and it was really good, but as a student it just isn't worth the money.

I think it'd be better if iSync synced your music to your iPod from iTunes (or possibly another program) as it's much more lightweight than iTunes. It would only need to run automatically when your iPod is connected which isn't a big deal.

Peace
Jun 13, 2006, 03:17 PM

Someone at Apple told you 10.4.7 was supposed to be released days ago?

superleccy
Jun 13, 2006, 03:51 PM
OK, I've been waiting for this. Here's what i'd like to see in the new version of iSync (plus my estimated probability of it actually happening in brackets like this).

1. Native support for the Nokia N80 without having to hack XML files or paying for plug-ins (quite probable).

2. Better iSync behaviour for the latest Nokia S60 devices. Support for thr Nokia 7610 was perfect, but it's gone downhill since then. See my rant here (post #9) (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2509652). (unlikely - the issues are probably more Nokia's fault than Apple's).

3. Better diagnostics when things go wrong. The other day I did a sync, and a got the message saying something like "If you continue to Sync then you will change more that 50% of the contacts on your computer". How? Why? How hard would it be for Apple to let me review the conflicts one-by-one. Or let me Sync, see what had changed, then let me roll back? (fat chance).

Regds
SL

xUKHCx
Jun 13, 2006, 03:59 PM
3. Better diagnostics when things go wrong. The other day I did a sync, and a got the message saying something like "If you continue to Sync then you will change more that 50% of the contacts on your computer". How? Why? How hard would it be for Apple to let me review the conflicts one-by-one. Or let me Sync, see what had changed, then let me roll back? (fat chance).

Regds
SL

this is the feature i have wanted for ages, sometimes when i sync and have changed nothing it says it will change some items, i want to know which.

treblah
Jun 13, 2006, 04:31 PM

Apple seeded developers with a new build on Friday. How is that lagging?

Not to mention that they have released every 10.4.x update on a Monday or Tuesday, so a Friday or Saturday release would be very odd.

digitalbiker
Jun 13, 2006, 04:31 PM
I hate iSync. It is too black box for me. I never know what it is actually doing. Is it wiping out my address book that was on my computer? Is it overwriting my address book on .mac? What the *?!#% is it doing?

Why can't Apple fix the design on iSync so that it is clear, what exactly is being changed at which location, from which location, etc?

Why is it that Apple can build some interfaces so well and then completely miss the boat on others?

I just don't trust completely automatic, blackbox software like iSync.

superleccy
Jun 13, 2006, 04:56 PM
I hate iSync. It is too black box for me. I never know what it is actually doing. Is it wiping out my address book that was on my computer? Is it overwriting my address book on .mac? What the *?!#% is it doing?
iSync is great when it works, but when it doesn't, I agree with you.

If Apple would at least include a detailed sync log (like Nokia do on their PC suite), then I'd be happy enough. How difficult can this be for them?

SL

Abstract
Jun 13, 2006, 07:48 PM
Completely run of the mill and generally unimportant daily news goes to Mac Bytes.

That wasn't the intent upon introduction. I guess intent and focus changed over the years, but that sort of made it the iSync of the MacRumour's world.......less useful than it was before.

scibry
Jun 14, 2006, 01:47 AM
Where is Splashpod? I just want to put my iPod and cell phone on my desk and have it synced and charged. if the iPod just uses the juice from the splashpod desk to power its wireless sync that's fine too. same with the cell. use bluetooth, whatever. sync and charge without wires and i'll upgrade (more likely). but ipods really haven't improved much. i have both the nano and photo and between them they're both pretty much the same. where's the 5.1 audio?

RedTomato
Jun 14, 2006, 06:58 AM
I have probably the world's smallest/ coolest PDA / phone

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/images/news/o2xdaminis.jpg

It's lovely, only 3 inches by 2 inches. I love it.

Unfortunately it runs on Windows Media 5. I could tolerate the crashes and slowdowns (which some say are due to O2's own added software - I'll look into disabling O2's software soon) if only it would actually sync with my Mac.

There's so many useful features I'm dying to use but I can't bloody connect it to my PB! It's not reconised when connecting via USB. Connecting via Bluetooth shows it up as a 'external modem' - I can't browse any files.

The only way I can transfer files such as photos or e-books for reading on my mobile is to email them to my mobile's email address. The files have to go half way round the world even tho it's right next to my laptop :(

5MB free monthly allowance over the mobile network means its not too much of a pain tho, and connecting with my mobile's wifi to my household or company wifi means unlimited downloads as long as I stay connected to the wifi.

Have been considering getting Pocketmac for it, but people here say it's a load of crap. That makes me worried :(

Any good experiences with PocketMac?

Thanks

..RedTomato..

ejl10
Jun 14, 2006, 08:26 AM
Why all the negative ratings? Apple is updating iSync.. that's tough to see as a bad thing, if you ask me.

aafuss1
Jun 15, 2006, 02:39 PM
A iSync update is very welcome. I'd like to see Blu-Ray drives supported in Mac OS X 10.4.7 (maybe for the Mac Pro) too.

Peace
Jun 15, 2006, 03:20 PM
I'm sure Apple will start supporting Blue-Ray as soon as it becomes mainstream/default HD disk format.

tlmurray
Jun 17, 2006, 07:39 PM
No kidding, it works pretty well with iSync. However, once, I added a new number to the phone. After the sync, that was the *only* number in the phone, and the all items (except the new one) were deleted from the Address Book group. I have not tested that scenario since.

tlmurray
Jun 17, 2006, 07:43 PM

Why can't Apple fix the design on iSync so that it is clear, what exactly is being changed at which location, from which location, etc?

Why is it that Apple can build some interfaces so well and then completely miss the boat on others?

I just don't trust completely automatic, blackbox software like iSync.

When I started using iSync, as a just-in-case measure, I always did a full export of my Address book to a file. No matter what was toasted, whether my Address Book, .Mac, or my phone, recovery would be a breeze.

JackSYi
Jun 23, 2006, 04:09 AM
Where is this upgrade?

mkrishnan
Jun 23, 2006, 08:25 AM
Where is this upgrade?

It hasn't been released yet. Hence the "rumor."

GreenCountry
Jun 28, 2006, 04:59 PM
Just found out about the 10.4.7 update (haven't installed yet). So is the rumor about iSync true?

JackSYi
Jun 28, 2006, 05:57 PM
I just got a Treo 650 and was wondering: does anyone with a 650 use the iSync versus the included Palm software?

JackSYi
Jun 28, 2006, 05:59 PM
It hasn't been released yet. Hence the "rumor."

Ok, thanks for the info. See I learn new things everyday.