PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

auxplage
Jun 12, 2006, 10:17 PM
I am interested to see how many smokers there are here at MacRumors for statistical purposes.

Everyone knows the health effects of smoking, so let's not turn this into a "smoking is the devil" thread.

Let's, instead, talk about honest ways that you quit or want to quit smoking and how you feel about smokers' rights and such.

I thought that this could be interesting.

OutThere
Jun 12, 2006, 10:33 PM
I'd be surprised if this thread didn't go up in smoke.

katie ta achoo
Jun 12, 2006, 10:35 PM
It's gonna turn into an anti-smoking thread.

This has happened many times in the history of MacRumors.

It always ends up in a little flame war of smoke v no smoke.

Good luck.

Peyton
Jun 12, 2006, 10:36 PM
I don't smoke.:o

killuminati
Jun 12, 2006, 10:38 PM
Today I got sworn at for coughing when the person standing right in front of me started smoking.

jadekitty24
Jun 12, 2006, 10:38 PM
I smoke. Off and on. Soon enough I'll drop it like a hot potato, and pick it up again like a tasty french fry.
Yeah, that was a bit lame...I must go now...

FragTek
Jun 12, 2006, 10:42 PM
I smoke Newports and have no urge to quit any time soon.

plinkoman
Jun 12, 2006, 10:46 PM
I'd be surprised if this thread didn't go up in smoke.

hahaha, good one...

I don't smoke; never have never will. I don't want to breath in that filth, but unfortunately, since most smokers are incredibly rude about when and where they smoke, I have to constantly deal with that crap. I cannot stand walking to class having to breath that crap.

when you smoke that crap, you're not only killing yourself, but your killing me, and it drives me crazy that there is nothing I can do to avoid it.

jerks :rolleyes:

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 12, 2006, 10:51 PM
Smoking is bad. M...kay?

Seriously: I smoked for 14 years before I, on a whim, bought a pack of nicotine gum instead of a pack of cigarettes a Friday afternoon in May 1998. Went home, smoked my last three cigarettes (mmm... Prince Lights...), then started chewing. Fast forward 2 and a half years and I was so fed up with nicotine gum (at the time I was down to 1 or 2 each day) so I just gave them up, too. Not touched a cigarette since that Friday in 1998.

Now I can go for minutes without wanting a smoke... :o ;)

MACDRIVE
Jun 12, 2006, 10:52 PM
I quite smoking way back when Madonna was just getting started. A pack of cigs was 75 cents. ;)

Leareth
Jun 12, 2006, 10:53 PM
Don't smoke, neither do any of my friends and family
too expensive and triggers my migraines :rolleyes:

auxplage
Jun 12, 2006, 10:54 PM
Maybe this was not the best of ideas. :)

I do not want all of this to start, so it shall not. I just wanted statistics.

Just please do not be rude. It really is unbecoming – much more so than smoking – but that is just an opinion as well.

EricNau
Jun 12, 2006, 11:00 PM
I don't smoke... and never will.

As for smokers rights:
I feel things are fine they way they are now. As long as they don't interfere with my life, I won't interfere with theirs.

scem0
Jun 12, 2006, 11:01 PM
I've never touched a cigarette and probably never will. Too detrimental to the health and super expensive to boot! I wouldn't take someone's right to smoke away from them though :).

e

quigleybc
Jun 12, 2006, 11:03 PM
i smoke...:(

hopefully this thread could be good in suggesting successful quitting stories.

I really want to quit...BC is about as anti smoking as it gets...and now I have hardly any friends who smoke, and I can't smoke indoors..so I'm in the best postion ever to quit.

Silentwave
Jun 12, 2006, 11:05 PM
Just please do not be rude. It really is unbecoming – much more so than smoking – but that is just an opinion as well.

Try telling me that when i'm in the middle of an asthma attack triggered by someone smoking. if I don't pass out first i'd be glad to let you know my thoughts.

Or try telling that to the nonsmokers who die of lung cancer from secondhand smoke.

dmw007
Jun 12, 2006, 11:08 PM
I've never touched a cigarette and probably never will. Too detrimental to the health and super expensive to boot! I wouldn't take someone's right to smoke away from them though :).

e

Same here, on both counts. :)

EricNau
Jun 12, 2006, 11:09 PM
i smoke...:(

hopefully this thread could be good in suggesting successful quitting stories.

I really want to quit...BC is about as anti smoking as it gets...and now I have hardly any friends who smoke, and I can't smoke indoors..so I'm in the best postion ever to quit.
Wanting to quit is the first step.

I personally liked Mitthrawnuruodo's method. One day, just go for the gum instead of a pack of cigarettes. If it doesn't work out the first time, you can always try again later.

I know, it probably doesn't mean much coming from a non-smoker, but I'm just trying to help. :)

EricNau
Jun 12, 2006, 11:12 PM
Or try telling that to the nonsmokers who die of lung cancer from secondhand smoke.
In my opinion, it can't be blamed entirely on the smoker. These days, you really only have to be around a smoker if you want to. (This is excluding, of course, the poor kids who have smokers for parents.)

It takes a lot of secondhand smoke to cause lung cancer. Your not going to get it from just walking past a lit cigarette.

dmw007
Jun 12, 2006, 11:14 PM
Wanting to quit is the first step.

I personally liked Mitthrawnuruodo's method. One day, just go for the gum instead of a pack of cigarettes. If it doesn't work out the first time, you can always try again later.

I know, it probably doesn't mean much coming from a non-smoker, but I'm trying. :)

I think that you are right EricNau- wanting to quit is the first step and Mitthrawnuruodo's method is probably a great way to quit if you want to do so. :)

SublimeProgie
Jun 12, 2006, 11:16 PM
i smoke, and i think that the regulations that are in place are acceptable. i can see where people dont want smoke around them, and i think that is all good stuff.

auxplage
Jun 12, 2006, 11:17 PM
Try telling me that when i'm in the middle of an asthma attack triggered by someone smoking. if I don't pass out first i'd be glad to let you know my thoughts.

Asthma is terrible. I know those who are plagued by it; therefore, smoking around them is not a good thing. My only point is that there are so many other horrible pollutants in the air that the person is inhaling; of course, secondhand smoke should not be added to that. I just do not understand the logic of anyone who chastizes smokers and then pollutes the air themselves with smoke in any form.

Secondhand smoke research is obscure at best along with research on a plethora of other subjects.

I am not a smoking advocate. No one should start.

I am glad that we are all for personal freedoms here which I have noticed after reading other threads such as these. :)

sushi
Jun 12, 2006, 11:20 PM
Today I got sworn at for coughing when the person standing right in front of me started smoking.
Really. What type of place were you at?

killuminati
Jun 12, 2006, 11:36 PM
Really. What type of place were you at?

I had just gotten off the bus and was walking to school. The person directly in front of me lights up and of course since we're walking and I'm behind him, I get all the smoke blown right in my face. I start coughing and he turns around and starts cursing and yelling at me.

sushi
Jun 12, 2006, 11:42 PM
I had just gotten off the bus and was walking to school. The person directly in front of me lights up and of course since we're walking and I'm behind him, I get all the smoke blown right in my face. I start coughing and he turns around and starts cursing and yelling at me.
Dang, that's bad!

frankblundt
Jun 12, 2006, 11:46 PM
yes.
and i have no problems with imposed limitations, actually quite happy about the smoke-free public places legislation we got recently. It's been enforced in eateries for a while but they just added all public indoor spaces, which makes sense to me.

Pubs are a lot more pleasant to be in, and you meet such nice people on the footpath.
(and yes, I'm very conscious, and attempt to be considerate, of innocent passersby)

Might try the gum approach, sounds good.

treblah
Jun 12, 2006, 11:52 PM
I smoked pretty much everyday for the past 4 years. At first I only smoked when I was drinking but then I started college and was drinking 4 nights a week and one thing led to another and I was smoking a pack a day. If smoking were good for you I'd probably live to be 800. :o

I quit cold turkey two and a half weeks ago and haven't looked back. Although I haven't really been out to any bars so I haven't been around anyone else smoking since then. That will be the real test of my will power. :(

jadekitty24
Jun 12, 2006, 11:55 PM
May I also add, although I am a smoker I too am glad for all the no-smoking laws. I do not like to smoke indoors and always found smoky bars and restaurants repulsive. I hate when I walk in a persons house and it reeks of an ashtray (and that is why I don't allow it in my house). Not to mention that it really is unfair to non-smokers that have to breathe that in unintentionally.

Peyton
Jun 13, 2006, 12:20 AM
May I also add, although I am a smoker I too am glad for all the no-smoking laws. I do not like to smoke indoors and always found smoky bars and restaurants repulsive. I hate when I walk in a persons house and it reeks of an ashtray (and that is why I don't allow it in my house). Not to mention that it really is unfair to non-smokers that have to breathe that in unintentionally.

Beautiful answer. :)

sushi
Jun 13, 2006, 12:22 AM
I think this is becoming a trend for smokers.

Twenty years ago, my smoking friends all smoked at home and in their cars. Now it seems more are only smoking outside of their home and cars.

EricNau
Jun 13, 2006, 12:23 AM
I think this is becoming a trend for smokers.

Twenty years ago, my smoking friends all smoked at home and in their cars. Now it seems more are only smoking outside of their home and cars.
...Which is great unless they are your neighbors. :(

Deepdale
Jun 13, 2006, 03:08 AM
Never smoked.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 13, 2006, 04:22 AM
May I also add, although I am a smoker I too am glad for all the no-smoking laws. I do not like to smoke indoors and always found smoky bars and restaurants repulsive. I hate when I walk in a persons house and it reeks of an ashtray (and that is why I don't allow it in my house). Not to mention that it really is unfair to non-smokers that have to breathe that in unintentionally.Yes, I was just like that back when I smoked, too. I hated going to smoke filled places like pubs and resteurants even if I smoked myself, because I knew I'd end up coughing like a TB victim.

Also, sometimes when I woke up, came in to the living room and noticed I had forgotten to clean out the ashtray the evening before, that was something of the worse things I could do to myself... few things reeks worse than a night old ashtray... :(

And don't get me started on smoking in bed. What's up with that? Ok, so sometimes I really needed a cigarette after I'd gone to bed, but I always got up again and went into another room if the urge got too strong. Not only is smoking in bed extremely dangerous in case you fall asleep, but who wants to sleep in a "newly smoked" room...? That's just disgusting...

But I still miss my dear Prince Lights... :o

whooleytoo
Jun 13, 2006, 05:37 AM
In my opinion, it can't be blamed entirely on the smoker. These days, you really only have to be around a smoker if you want to. (This is excluding, of course, the poor kids who have smokers for parents.)

Scary, I just remember my Dad was such a heavy smoker, the ceilings in the rooms he used to smoke were all a light brown colour, we didn't realise just how bad it was until we went to repaint them. When you see what it can do to the ceilings, you'd have to worry what it does to the smoker's lungs.

Ireland passed a law last year which banned smoking in all indoor workplaces (which obviously includes bars and clubs), and it has made several differences, good and bad.

Good
You can go for a drink without your clothes smelling of stale cigarette smoke when you get back.
Ireland has, almost overnight, created a 'cafe culture' here, with almost every pub and restaurant providing outdoor seating, and heaters, some have added balconies or rooftop terraces.

Bad
If you want to go outside for a coffee or a meal, you're probably going to be sitting in the midst of a group of smokers and inhaling more smoke than you would have before the ban.
Likewise, if you're in an office building and near the entrance (as I am), then you can't open the window during summer to cool off, or you'll get all the second-hand smoke from all the smokers who tend to congregate outside the front door of businesses.
Without the smell of smoke in busy pubs, peoples' natural "fragrances" tend to come to the fore. Euuuh.

Funnily enough, I didn't mind the smoke before the ban, but now that I've got used to the fresher air again, I can't stand the smoke!

wingsky
Jun 13, 2006, 05:42 AM
Scary, I just remember my Dad was such a heavy smoker, the ceilings in the rooms he used to smoke were all a light brown colour, we didn't realise just how bad it was until we went to repaint them. When you see what it can do to the ceilings, you'd have to worry what it does to the smoker's lungs.

Ireland passed a law last year which banned smoking in all indoor workplaces (which obviously includes bars and clubs), and it has made several differences, good and bad.

Good
You can go for a drink without your clothes smelling of stale cigarette smoke when you get back.
Ireland has, almost overnight, created a 'cafe culture' here, with almost every pub and restaurant providing outdoor seating, and heaters, some have added balconies or rooftop terraces.

Bad
If you want to go outside for a coffee or a meal, you're probably going to be sitting in the midst of a group of smokers and inhaling more smoke than you would have before the ban.
Likewise, if you're in an office building and near the entrance (as I am), then you can't open the window during summer to cool off, or you'll get all the second-hand smoke from all the smokers who tend to congregate outside the front door of businesses.
Without the smell of smoke in busy pubs, peoples' natural "fragrances" tend to come to the fore. Euuuh.

Funnily enough, I didn't mind the smoke before the ban, but now that I've got used to the fresher air again, I can't stand the smoke!

Meh, can't win with you lot can we? :p

I smoke, and I also hate smoking indoors. Usually I'm not too bad, 5-6 a day, it only gets bad when I go out, usually 20 in one night :eek: I don't want to give up smoking...yet

mouchoir
Jun 13, 2006, 06:12 AM
Ok, I remember getting into one a couple of years ago with edesign over this, so promise to be good.

I was a smoker but finally am a non-smoker since may last year, after trying (failing) many times to give up through will power.

I read Allen Carrs 'Easy Way' book, in 3 days. It promised no use of will power. Was very shocked but it worked, and I haven't been near a cigarette since, even after drinking. It was really easy.

People often have problems with the book, as the first few pages are really badly written, and keep plugging the book, but you just have to persevere, and the book turns out to be a wonderful bit of reverse brainwashing. You can even continue to smoke while reading, which was the best bit. Before the end, I had already lost the desire to smoke.

What I will never become is an evangelical ex-smoker! They are the worst kind of anti-smoking lecturers.

iGary
Jun 13, 2006, 06:38 AM
It will be five years since I smoked July 5.

I do miss it a lot on occasion.

brikeh
Jun 13, 2006, 06:47 AM

You shouldve punched him in his teeth.

sushi
Jun 13, 2006, 07:39 AM
It will be five years since I smoked July 5.
Outstanding! That is fantastic!

I do miss it a lot on occasion.
Hang in there. I know that it's hard after watching many friends try to quit -- most unsuccessfully for more than a year or two.

auxplage
Jun 13, 2006, 08:53 AM
Yay!!

This thread has turned out well.

I now must give up smoking this summer. It is good to hear that people on here have done it successfully, so I plan on it too. :( /:)

nukiduz
Jun 13, 2006, 09:41 AM
i only smoke when i'm drunk. can't control it.

XNine
Jun 13, 2006, 09:45 AM
I smoke, and will continue to do so.

No plans to quit, though I have tried several times, only to face the stress of everyday hostile work environments and people dying, so, I figure, **** it. I'll keep smoking. And no ban or smoke-nazi is going to take it away from me.

I LOVE SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

devilot
Jun 13, 2006, 09:48 AM
i only smoke when i'm drunk. can't control it.That reminds me, I tried smoking once while drinking-- I always thought it made people look more hardcore :rolleyes: The first drag was fun (it was a menthol) and then I sort of zoned out and before I knew it, the smoke had drifted into my face and into my eyes. Ouch. I got rid of that cig pronto. :D

My father has smoked since before I can remember. He's quit several times, but alas, is still smoking. He's tried nicotine gum, nicotine patches, nibbling on carrots, nibbling on candy... I'm sure more, but we don't really talk about personal things ever, so I wouldn't know what else he's tried.

My boyfriend of almost four years also used to smoke. He quit soon after getting with me and his friends all accused me of "forcing" him to quit, which I didn't. I actually bought him a Zippo. :rolleyes: The point being, I fully supported him, whether or not he smoked, and he knew that. And he said that part of the reason why he was able to quit successfully was because he knew I'd still care for him either way.

iGary
Jun 13, 2006, 09:52 AM
Outstanding! That is fantastic!

Hang in there. I know that it's hard after watching many friends try to quit -- most unsuccessfully for more than a year or two.

Hey, don't get me wrong - I loved smoking. If it didn't make me fat, make me not able to run or affect my health, I'd still be toking away at a couple of packs a day.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 13, 2006, 09:53 AM
Why not set up a poll?

Ok - I just did - and I don't smoke and never did....

D

amacgenius
Jun 13, 2006, 09:54 AM
I'd still be toking away at a couple of packs a day.

So you smoked them funny cigs eh? ;)

Personally, I hate it every time my mom lights up, yet she won't stop. Granted I can guess it's hard, but not only is she affecting her health, but when I'm right next to her, I get the smoke and that can harm me down the road.

Heck I told her if she dies from smoking I won't be attending her funeral, and she still won't even try to stop.

Josh
Jun 13, 2006, 09:54 AM
I read that this may turn into a smoking vs non-smoking war, and I am disspointed to see that it hasn't.

Mainly, I was curious as to what type of arguement could be held in its favor.

"Sure, it costs me lots of money, has absolutely zero benefits, and gives me cancer, but MY GOSH does it tickle!"

(yeah..I know it doesn't "tickle," but there's not a smoker out there that could make a better arguement *for* it)

amacgenius
Jun 13, 2006, 09:57 AM
I read that this may turn into a smoking vs non-smoking war, and I am disspointed to see that it hasn't.

Mainly, I was curious as to what type of arguement could be held in its favor.

"Sure, it costs me lots of money, has absolutely zero benefits, and gives me cancer, but MY GOSH does it tickle!"

(yeah..I know it doesn't "tickle," but there's not a smoker out there that could make a better arguement *for* it)

Exactly, figure $5 a pack, and if you smoke let's just say 5 packs a week.

5x$5= 25$ plus 2 more= $35/week that could be spent on other more beneficial things.

(If I did that math wrong, forgive me because I'm just about to go take an exam, I'm fried.)

yellow
Jun 13, 2006, 10:21 AM
I smoked for 20 years. I miss smoking. I loved the act of it. I loved the taste. I am addicted to it. I still crave them.

Gave it up cold turkey on Oct 27th, 2005. Haven't had one since.

This is not the first time I've tried to quit, but the longest I've been successful by far (far far far far far).

Those that have never smoked for a long time (more then 7-10 years) really shouldn't talk smack about something they don't understand at all.

saunders45
Jun 13, 2006, 10:21 AM
Don't smoke, but I love playing sports against people who do. Especially basketball.

sushi
Jun 13, 2006, 10:29 AM
Hey, don't get me wrong - I loved smoking. If it didn't make me fat, make me not able to run or affect my health, I'd still be toking away at a couple of packs a day.
Understand.

A couple of packs a day is definitely a serious habit.

It's interesting how some people gain weight from smoking and others seem to loose weight.

kretzy
Jun 13, 2006, 11:07 AM
I tried once or twice and thought it was revolting.

If people want to smoke, then that's their choice but I really do think it's unfair on non-smokers who have to be exposed to it. I also take particular issue with pregnant women who smoke and customers (with kids) at work who will put food back so they have enough to buy cigarettes. I also find it disturbing when I see kids no more than 10-12 years old hanging around outside work with a cigarette hanging out of their mouths. Admittedly I work in a pretty "rough" part of town so it's not like it happens everywhere, still not nice though.

auxplage
Jun 13, 2006, 11:21 AM
Anything that one finds pleasurable is going to be worth it to that person.

That is why I do not understand the "it is an expensive habit" argument.

People go to Starbucks everyday and "waste" $4 on a cup of coffee which is less than the amount I spend on pleasure for three or four days with cigarettes since here in tobacco country (Virginia) Camels and Marlboros are "only" $3.75 a pack.

Of course to most, cigarettes are seen as unhealthy, so no amount in their opinion should be spent on them. However, cigarettes are gratifying to the smoker, so he/she will spend any amount necessary on them.

iGary
Jun 13, 2006, 11:23 AM
Those that have never smoked for a long time (more then 7-10 years) really shouldn't talk smack about something they don't understand at all.

Well said.

Josh
Jun 13, 2006, 11:24 AM
Anything that one finds pleasurable is going to be worth it to that person.

That is why I do not understand the "it is an expensive habit" argument.

People go to Starbucks everyday and "waste" $4 on a cup of coffee which is less than the amount I spend on pleasure for three or four days with cigarettes.

Of course to most, cigarettes are seen as unhealthy, so no amount in their opinion should be spent on them. However, cigarettes are gratifying to the smoker, so he/she will spend any amount necessary on them.

I hear cocaine is pretty gratifying, too.

The difference between coffee and smoking is that coffee has health bonuses, is not looked down upon by others, does not affect others in a particular radius from the user, and is most often cited as reducing the number #1 reason people say they smoke: stress.

iGary
Jun 13, 2006, 11:24 AM
Understand.

A couple of packs a day is definitely a serious habit.

It's interesting how some people gain weight from smoking and others seem to loose weight.

I'm fat either way, just with smoking, I can't run to keep it off, so I get fatter that way than not. ;)

iGary
Jun 13, 2006, 11:27 AM
I hear cocaine is pretty gratyfing, too.

The difference between coffee and smoking is that coffee has health bonuses, is not looked down upon by others, does not affect others in a particular radius from the user, and is most often cited as reducing the number #1 reason people say they smoke: stress.

I smoked because I liked it. Didn't start due to stress, didn't continue to due to stress.

yellow
Jun 13, 2006, 11:29 AM
The difference between coffee and smoking is that coffee has health bonuses

I just need to point out..

Nicotine has health bonuses as well (yes, many negatives.. not to mention all the other crap in cigarettes). And caffine has plenty of health negatives.

And coke isn't a legal drug, where nicotine, alcohol, and caffine all are legal.

Josh
Jun 13, 2006, 11:29 AM
I smoked because I liked it. Didn't start due to stress, didn't continue to due to stress.

What was it that made you want to buy your first pack?

I've smoked a time or two as a kid, as I think all kids do, but never understood what the urge/desire/want was to actually take it on and buy a pack.
I just need to point out..

Nicotine has health bonuses as well (yes, many negatives.. not to mention all the other crap in cigarettes). And caffine has plenty of health negatives.

And coke isn't a legal drug, where nicotine, alcohol, and caffine all are legal.

All true, but absolutely miniscule in comparison. Smoking contributes to just about all of the leading causes of death in America.

Smoking has absolutely *zero* health benefits. Soda/coffee isn't good for you either, but they're not killing anyone.

kretzy
Jun 13, 2006, 11:32 AM

I've smoked a time or two as a kid, as I think all kids do, but never understood what the urge/desire/want was to actually take it on and buy a pack.
Yeah this is something I've never understood either. Is it just a matter of becoming addicted after trying it a few times or is it actually because you enjoy the taste/sensation/experience etc?

2nyRiggz
Jun 13, 2006, 11:33 AM
I don't smoke......

Bless

auxplage
Jun 13, 2006, 11:34 AM
I hear cocaine is pretty gratifying, too.

I understand completely what you are saying. I feel that anything, including nicotine, caffeine, and cocaine, has benefits in moderation which most smokers do not have - including me.

Caffeine is very dangerous, and some are more addicted to that than nicotine.

Not to bring out a complete ************ argument, but smoking has been shown to help with Parkinson's disease. :)

iGary
Jun 13, 2006, 11:37 AM
Smoking has absolutely *zero* health benefits. Soda/coffee isn't good for you either, but they're not killing anyone.

Prove it.

I was addicted at that point. I wanted to avoid withdrawal, so if you want to call that stress, fine. :rolleyes:

Josh
Jun 13, 2006, 11:39 AM
Prove it.

Prove otherwise.

There is not an arguement that can be made as to why people should start smoking.

auxplage
Jun 13, 2006, 11:40 AM
Prove it.

I was addicted at that point. I wanted to avoid withdrawal, so if you want to call that stress, fine. :rolleyes:

If anyone saw the movie Thankyou for Smoking, iGary makes a good point.

We all accept everything as fact and swallow what we have been told. It is good to do research on one's own. Studiest are always interesting.

iGary
Jun 13, 2006, 11:42 AM
Prove otherwise.

There is not an arguement that can be made as to why people should start smoking.

That's the point isn't it? Caffeine, artificial colors, preservatives...you can't single them out as a cancer cause, can you, but anyone in their right mind wouldn't deny that pumping your body full of chemicals over 30 years isnt detrimental.
Smoking is easy to single out because you have almost a 100% chancve of getting sick if you do it long enough.

Where did I say that people should start smoking? You're the one that said that there is no harm in consuming a quart of chemicals a day.

auxplage
Jun 13, 2006, 11:42 AM
Prove otherwise.

The arguement: I live in a free society, so I am able to do smoke cigarettes if I am eighteen. If I want the effects of smoking, both good and bad, then I should start smoking.

yellow
Jun 13, 2006, 11:44 AM
I'm not trying (too hard) to defend smoking, I just cannot stand self-rightous anti-smokers who never smoked for an extended period of time. If you've been there and done that, then you can preach at me all you want about it's evils. Otherwise, you're just a soapboxer with no perspective that interests me.

As a former smoker, I'm more than happy to tell people about it's evils and encourage them to quit. I feel like having been a longtime smoker, it's OK for me to do so, because I understand exactly where a smoker is coming from and can easily prove that life after smoking is possible.

Josh
Jun 13, 2006, 11:46 AM
Where did I say that people should start smoking? You're the one that said that there is no harm in consuming a quart of chemicals a day.

I did? Where?

Without putting words in my mouth, what you might have read was the coffee has more benefits than smoking (which is easy, as smoking has none).

And no one should have to "prove" to anyone that smoking is more negative than positive, if that already isn't known, then...

yellow
Jun 13, 2006, 11:48 AM
has more benefits than smoking (which is easy, as it has none).

Again, I say nicotine has benefits to certain individuals. (of course, this can be gained w/o smoking)

kretzy
Jun 13, 2006, 11:50 AM
The arguement: I live in a free society, so I am able to do smoke cigarettes if I am eighteen. If I want the effects of smoking, both good and bad, then I should start smoking.
I agree, but what about non-smokers in this "free society"? They often don't get a choice.

yellow
Jun 13, 2006, 11:52 AM
I agree, but what about non-smokers in this "free society"? They often don't get a choice.

In the US, at least, there is finally a significant amount of legislation in favor of the non-smoker.
In many major metropolitian areas, many (all) bars/restaurants and even public places are smoke-free.
Even here in the tabacco belt.

Let's, instead, talk about honest ways that you quit or want to quit smoking and how you feel about smokers' rights and such.

I thought that this could be interesting.

You know, when I moved to NC for school in 1990, I was AMAZED at how cheap cigarettes were. That in and of itself was a big contributing factor to making my smoking much heavier than it had been (from ~3/4 of a pack/day to 2 packs per day). I bought a carton of premium smokes for $12!

iGary
Jun 13, 2006, 11:55 AM
I did? Where?

Without putting words in my mouth, what you might have read was the coffee has more benefits than smoking (which is easy, as smoking has none).

And no one should have to "prove" to anyone that smoking is more negative than positive, if that already isn't known, then...

Coffee is chock full (no pun intended) of pesticides and other chemicals.

Why do you think that everyone here is trying to defend smoking?

I am not trying to defend smoking as a viable choice over coffee, but when you try to imply that coffee is just dandy, that's just just...well it's not true. The first thing a doctor will have you do is dump caffeine the minute you have any cardiovascular or renal issues. Period.

Whatever, why are we even talking about coffee? Smokings bad, no doubt, but what really gets me is when people try to sound like they do not do anyting harmful to their bodies...

Eat things with preservatives? Artificial colors? Stimulants? Drink alcohol?

While none of those things are as dangerous as smoking (as far as we know), no one would argue that they are GOOD for you right? I doubt you would be trashing alcohol if we started a thread on that - would you?

kretzy
Jun 13, 2006, 11:56 AM
In the US, at least, there is finally a significant amount of legislation in favor of the non-smoker. Many bars/restaurants and even public places are smoke-free.
Similar here, particularly over the last few years. However that doesn't really help children whose parents perhaps smoke.

I'm not trying to be all "smoking is evil", but I just think that in certain circumstances people need to be more responsible for their smoking behaviours.

iGary
Jun 13, 2006, 11:58 AM
Similar here, particularly over the last few years. However that doesn't really help children whose parents perhaps smoke.

I'm not trying to be all "smoking is evil", but I just think that in certain circumstances people need to be more responsible for their smoking behaviours.

I think people forget what it was like 20 years ago. non smoker had ZERO rights.

yellow
Jun 13, 2006, 12:00 PM
I think people forget what it was like 20 years ago. non smoker had ZERO rights.

Very true. It's funny, that I've felt like a hunted animal as a smoker in the last 5-6 years or so. Like a junkie trying to get a fix.

Black&Tan
Jun 13, 2006, 12:01 PM
My father smoked most of his adult life.
He died of cancer almost 10 years ago.
He never got to see his grandson.

My mother has smoked most of her adult life.
She finally stopped last year.

I'll never smoke.

kretzy
Jun 13, 2006, 12:04 PM
That's if you were around to remember it all those years ago. :p ;)

But yes, I understand what you're saying, so it's good to know that there have been improvements. Still, I don't think it's too much to ask of parent to go outside to smoke rather than exposing their kids to it.

iGary
Jun 13, 2006, 12:06 PM
But yes, I understand what you're saying, so it's good to know that there have been improvements. Still, I don't think it's too much to ask of parent to go outside to smoke rather than exposing their kids to it.

Neither do I. It always bother me when I see a car full of kids go by and the mother is blowing a smoke screen inside.

yellow
Jun 13, 2006, 12:10 PM
That's one thing my wife and I always agreed upon, if you're going to smoke, you're going outside. Which has made my life easier since she still smokes and I don't.

mactastic
Jun 13, 2006, 12:10 PM
I smoked from the time I was 17 until I was 28. Gave it up cold turkey after a particularly bad winter finals session in college. Smoked like crazy getting my project finished, then just stopped afterwards. Had a couple smokes in the months after that when I'd been drinking, but since then nothing. It's been a little over 5 years since then, and while I still want one now and then (particularly in social drinking settings), but I'm still cig-free. And the longer I go, the more I find that smoke bugs me.

vniow
Jun 13, 2006, 12:15 PM
Both parents did from before I was born until my sister was about 5 years later so naturally I had an aversion to it and have never bohered to try. Nothing against those who do, that's just silly.

Pot on the other hand...

jayb2000
Jun 13, 2006, 12:17 PM
I used to smoke, at least a pack a day, maybe 2 on Friday or Saturday (out at the bar), then I started rolling my own (no, not THAT kind of cigarette), then smoked American Spirits. I know still bad for me, but not quite as bad as Marlboro or Camels. Then my girlfriend (now wife) quit, so I pretty much just smoked when I drank. Then I basically quit that as well. She quit with the patch and occasional gum supplements. Plus no bars for a while as that was a major temptation, back when you could smoke in a bar.

I probably still have anywhere from 10-20 cigarettes per YEAR when I happen to be
a) pretty drunk
b) in a place where you can smoke
c) not with my wife
d) not worried about feeling like crap the next day

Assuming those are all true, man do those smokes taste great.
But the next day, I hate the smell, I hate the tightness in my lungs, the hangover, etc.

I appreciate the smoking laws to some extent (inside hospitals and high schools for example), but I think its silly you can go drink a gallon of beer and eat fatty fried foods, both of which are harmful to your health, but you can't smoke in a bar. I think it should be up to the owner, there are so many non-smokers, I would think it would be pretty easy to run a bar without allowing smoking.
As for the employees, hey, if you don't like smoke, work somewhere else.

And the people who get so bent out of shape over smoking, lets start with some bigger issues, huh? Like global warming; pollution from cars, lawn mowers, and power plants; AIDS; Malaria. Things that kill and pollute far more than cigarettes.

leekohler
Jun 13, 2006, 12:21 PM
I smoked for 20 years. I miss smoking. I loved the act of it. I loved the taste. I am addicted to it. I still crave them.

Gave it up cold turkey on Oct 27th, 2005. Haven't had one since.

This is not the first time I've tried to quit, but the longest I've been successful by far (far far far far far).

Agreed. I just gave up about 2 months ago, but I will cop to having cheated once in a while. I don't beat myself up about it. That's why I failed last time! It's going fairly well though. I'm pretty well adjusted at this point, although the first two days sucked bigtime. Do I feel better? No. Just not smoking, that's all. And I do have more money! :)

yellow
Jun 13, 2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah.. I don't feel "better". Ostensibly I gave it up for health reasons (not related to it's being bad for me), but it doesn't appear to have helped in that area either. As for the having 'more energy' and whatnot? For me, farce.. But like you said, I do have more money, and I don't smell anymore!

iGary
Jun 13, 2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah.. I don't feel "better". Ostensibly I gave it up for health reasons (not related to it's being bad for me), but it doesn't appear to have helped in that area either. As for the having 'more energy' and whatnot? For me, farce.. But like you said, I do have more money, and I don't smell anymore!

It took me a good two years to really notice any benefits (and no food does not tasts better, and my sense of smell is just the same).

leekohler
Jun 13, 2006, 12:37 PM

I agree again. Don't you love that little list they have? All this BS about food tasting better, you'll feel better and all that. LOAD OF CRAP. They should spend more time talking about the money thing, that's what got me.

clayj
Jun 13, 2006, 12:42 PM
I don't smoke... never have, never will. I think it's a disgusting habit.

But I support the right of others to smoke, as long as they do so responsibly (e.g., not inside with their kids) and as long as they are willing to accept responsibility for their actions (e.g., don't ask me to pay for your lung transplant because you smoked).

I also support the right of private businesses such as restaurants and bars to make their OWN policies regarding smoking in their establishments. If a bar chooses to allow smoking and you don't like being exposed to cigarette smoke, go somewhere else. No one's forcing you to go in. Anyone who cries about "well, I *demand* that this restaurant or bar be smoke-free" deserves a strong kick in the ass.

Oh, and people who sue tobacco companies because they contracted cancer after smoking for however long should be thrown out on the curb and held responsible for court costs. There's a damn label on the pack that SAYS they're harmful; if you're too pig-ignorant to get this, you get no sympathy from me. And don't give me that "well, they're addictive" argument... if you really care about quitting smoking, you will find a way to make it happen.

leekohler
Jun 13, 2006, 12:54 PM
I don't smoke... never have, never will. I think it's a disgusting habit.

But I support the right of others to smoke, as long as they do so responsibly (e.g., not inside with their kids) and as long as they are willing to accept responsibility for their actions (e.g., don't ask me to pay for your lung transplant because you smoked).

I also support the right of private businesses such as restaurants and bars to make their OWN policies regarding smoking in their establishments. If a bar chooses to allow smoking and you don't like being exposed to cigarette smoke, go somewhere else. No one's forcing you to go in. Anyone who cries about "well, I *demand* that this restaurant or bar be smoke-free" deserves a strong kick in the ass.

Oh, and people who sue tobacco companies because they contracted cancer after smoking for however long should be thrown out on the curb and held responsible for court costs. There's a damn label on the pack that SAYS they're harmful; if you're too pig-ignorant to get this, you get no sympathy from me. And don't give me that "well, they're addictive" argument... if you really care about quitting smoking, you will find a way to make it happen.

Here-here! I've always agreed with everything you've said.

devilot
Jun 13, 2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah this is something I've never understood either. Is it just a matter of becoming addicted after trying it a few times or is it actually because you enjoy the taste/sensation/experience etc?I think it differs on an individual basis.

My boyfriend wants to work w/ substance abuse patients and I think he said he had no clear cut reason to start smoking other than to see what it was all about. He has (since quitting) said at times that he misses smoking. It's a social thing similar to drinking-- you loiter/ hang out, you light up and chit chat. Do it before a movie starts, do it afterwards. It can end up also being a temporary stress-reliever and something to fight boredom with-- stuck in a traffic jam? Light up w/ the windows down.

He did always hate the taste of it, but the sensation and motions related to smoking are just like any other habit, they become a part of you and your daily life. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be to quit; not only are you fighting behavioral habit, your body has grown used to having it.

I think my father uses it as a coping mechanism for stress and whatnot. That and it temporarily ups your metabolism and he figures it's an easy way to drop pounds. He also neglects to mention to his doctor why his blood pressure might have "suddenly" sky-rocketed. :rolleyes: He just asks for a higher dosage of his meds.

drift1492
Jun 13, 2006, 01:24 PM
The argument that people who have never smoked should not be able to criticize smoking is ridiculous. Just because some of us are smart enough to realize that smoking kills and have enough common sense to never start does not exclude us from this conversation. Many people never start because they have family members who are dying or have died from smoking.

Everyone should be able to be involved in this argument. How much of our tax dollars pay for cancer research or helping poor smokers pay for their treatment?

An extremist view that I sort of agree with is that the government should issue smoking licenses. Anyone over 18 can get them, and all they have to do is sign an agreement that the government will not pay for any illnesses resulting from their smoking.

mactastic
Jun 13, 2006, 01:31 PM
Let's also issue skydiving permits, rockclimbing permits, sunbathing permits, fatty foods permits, ocean-swimming permits, and laying-around-on-your-fat-ass permits while we're at it. Anyone over 18 can get them, and all they have to do is sign an agreement that the government will not pay for any illnesses resulting from any of these activities.

devilot
Jun 13, 2006, 01:34 PM
Let's also issue... sunbathing permits...Actually, something related to that happened here locally. There's been growing concern w/ all these affluent teenaged young women going to tanning salons. They were pushing for some sort of parental agreement if the customer was under the age of 18. I'm not sure where that stands now, though.

Timepass
Jun 13, 2006, 01:36 PM
The argument that people who have never smoked should not be able to criticize smoking is ridiculous. Just because some of us are smart enough to realize that smoking kills and have enough common sense to never start does not exclude us from this conversation. Many people never start because they have family members who are dying or have died from smoking.

Everyone should be able to be involved in this argument. How much of our tax dollars pay for cancer research or helping poor smokers pay for their treatment?

An extremist view that I sort of agree with is that the government should issue smoking licenses. Anyone over 18 can get them, and all they have to do is sign an agreement that the government will not pay for any illnesses resulting from their smoking.

oh but us none smoker do have some rights in complaining about it. I dont smoke and dont enjoying being around others when they are smoking. I cannt stand the smell or the taste I get in my mouth from it. I like it when people I been around with do smoke ask me if I am ok with them doing it and have the respect to ask. If out side I general cool with it. you ask me so I give you taht respect of letting you do it. Now in my car or house the answer is a straight up no and they always respect that.

I dont mind goverment saying public places can not have smoking indoors. or if they do the ventilation system has to be set up to keep the area separated. At first bussinuss complained about it but then they noticed they where getting more bussiness over all by not having any smoking in the place. Well that started a trend and other stores in the chains just flat out banned smoking indoors with out having to deal with it.

Reasurants a privent bussinuss but still consider a public place.

For me it all about the respect thing. I like it when smokers have the respect to know that most people do not smoke and do not like the smell of it or anything and have the respect to keep it away from them.
At the dorms the rule on campus was you can not smoke with in 12 ft of any entry way. I though that was fine. On rainy days I didnt mind the fact that they would be really close to the door because it was rainy. I did have an issue when it was not wet out side if they would be within 12 ft of the door. Campus police did start handing out tickets at one point to fix the issue and again on rainy wet days they did not make an issue of it. it raining out side.

drift1492
Jun 13, 2006, 01:41 PM
oh but us none smoker do have some rights in complaining about it.

I was referring to the comments earlier that non-smokers shouldn't comment in this thread.

yellow
Jun 13, 2006, 01:44 PM
The argument that people who have never smoked should not be able to criticize smoking is ridiculous. Just because some of us are smart enough to realize that smoking kills and have enough common sense to never start does not exclude us from this conversation.

Criticize all you want, just not to me, I don't want to hear it from you. And please don't imply that I am any less intelligent than you are simply because I made a different choice in 1985 than you did. It's that self-righteousness that burns my hide.

What people seem to forget is that smoking cigarettes isn't a direct-correlation-drug. What I do today, won't necessarily affect me tomorrow. Hell, I can smoke for 50 years before I see the negative effects of cigarette smoking. And that's a tough concept for a teenager to cope with. So what if I can get cancer in 30 years? Teenagers are invincible.

drift1492
Jun 13, 2006, 01:56 PM
Let's also issue skydiving permits, rockclimbing permits, sunbathing permits, fatty foods permits, ocean-swimming permits, and laying-around-on-your-fat-ass permits while we're at it. Anyone over 18 can get them, and all they have to do is sign an agreement that the government will not pay for any illnesses resulting from any of these activities.

For most of the things you listed, medical care would be needed because of an accident. Different than smoking.

And eating fatty foods and sitting on your fat ass are stupid as well. But they are not illegal for children. By making smoking illegal for people under 18, the government is telling us that children do not have the capacity to make a decision to kill themselves. You can kill yourself after you turn 18.

Also, fatty foods dont have labels telling people they WILL give them heart attacks. Smoking does have labels like this. Sitting on your fat ass is also a passive activity.

Regarding sunbathing - Why would anyone want to "cook" their skin. Let them fry.

Criticize all you want, just not to me, I don't want to hear it from you. And please don't imply that I am any less intelligent than you are simply because I made a different choice in 1985 than you did. It's that self-righteousness that burns my hide.

I am not saying people who do not smoke are any more intelligent. Some of the smartest people I know smoke.

However, I have yet to find a smoker who would say that their choice to begin smoking was a SMART choice. And if you think it was a smart choice I sure would like to hear your reasoning behind that.

tkidBOSTON
Jun 13, 2006, 02:02 PM
I smoked for 6 years (i smoked "regularly" after the first year or so) and quit cold turkey 6 years ago. (And I'm 24-- do the math if you want to be disgusted :eek: )

Quitting has been the best decision of my life. :)

mactastic
Jun 13, 2006, 02:08 PM
For most of the things you listed, medical care would be needed because of an accident. Different than smoking.
Not different enough. It's still a risk you are taking that I shouldn't have to pay for. Why should I have to pay for care for someone who has willingly engaged in an activity that is known to have a high risk of injury factor associated with it?

And eating fatty foods and sitting on your fat ass are stupid as well. But they are not illegal for children. By making smoking illegal for people under 18, the government is telling us that children do not have the capacity to make a decision to kill themselves. You can kill yourself after you turn 18.
Actually, while we're at it, lets say that I shouldn't have to bear the burden of any person's stupid activity. Why should I pay for any care for someone who got drunk and rolled their car?

Also, fatty foods dont have labels telling people they WILL give them heart attacks. Smoking does have labels like this. Sitting on your fat ass is also a passive activity.
Do you need a label to tell you things are unhealthy? Take some responsibility for yourself man!

Regarding sunbathing - Why would anyone want to "cook" their skin. Let them fry.Amen to that. Just don't come looking for me to foot the bill when you get a melanoma, that's all I'm saying.

yellow
Jun 13, 2006, 02:18 PM
However, I have yet to find a smoker who would say that their choice to begin smoking was a SMART choice. And if you think it was a smart choice I sure would like to hear your reasoning behind that.

I don't think I ever implied it was a "smart" choice. Quite the opposite. However, I am more knowledgable of what a bad choice it was than any life-long-non-smoker, as I will undoubtedly have intimate knowledge of my poor choice in later years.

I guess that's the part that I don't want to hear from lifelong-non-smokers. I don't need to be reminded of my poor choice. I got that lesson. Move on. So to speak.

Black&Tan
Jun 13, 2006, 02:29 PM
Not different enough. It's still a risk you are taking that I shouldn't have to pay for. Why should I have to pay for care for someone who has willingly engaged in an activity that is known to have a high risk of injury factor associated with it?

If I remember correctly, the UK health service will not pay for smoking related injuries (?) if the person is a continuing smoker. i.e. - why treat someone for lung cancer if they're continuing to smoke.

yellow
Jun 13, 2006, 02:49 PM
I do like the warning labels on packs of smokes in the UK.
It's much less pansy than in the US.

Basically "SMOKING KILLS" versus "Smoking harms you and those around you".

Black&Tan
Jun 13, 2006, 03:35 PM
I have an advert somewhere with Death™ brand cigarettes. Naturally a British based company, it would never fly in the US. Very clever, taglines something along the lines of, "you know they're going to kill you, you might as well enjoy the ride."

mactastic
Jun 13, 2006, 03:44 PM
I have an advert somewhere with Death™ brand cigarettes. Naturally a British based company, it would never fly in the US. Very clever, taglines something along the lines of, "you know they're going to kill you, you might as well enjoy the ride."
I smoked those on occasion. Not very good cigs, but better than GPCs.

quigleybc
Jun 13, 2006, 03:51 PM
ARRRGHHH!!!

I want to quit soooo bad!!!!

seriously....being addicted sucks....life is what happens in between ciggs...

I could literally just sit and smoke....one after the other....I think about smokes....always...

How the F am I gonna quit...I'm am soo hooked..been smoking for half my life now...

i've heard about some wacky ways to quit...like pills, or electo therapy..and of course the patch, and gum...

when I quit, it is gonna have to be cold turkey...none of this "once in a while bs.." I want to HATE ciggs, HATE the way they smell....instead of being like that shark from finding nemo when he smells blood....

I figure when i quit, i'll have to quit coffee, booze and maybe even herb....cuz all three make the urge to smoke unbearable....I'd quit eating too if it wouldn't kill me to do so....after eating...well U smokers know....

I like success stories, and I've read a few....any more?

devilot
Jun 13, 2006, 03:54 PM
I like success stories, and I've read a few....any more?My boyfriend suggests to his friends (who want to quit) to wait until a) you're sure and ready you want to quit (duh), and b) you're sick. He found that when he was sick, his body couldn't handle the smoking so he already had cut back quite a bit, and he used that as a foundation for quitting. :shrug: Dunno if that's of any help or not...

Phil A.
Jun 13, 2006, 04:21 PM

Here in the UK (where a pack of 20 costs around 6.00 pounds, or $11.00!!), smoking related illnesses are estimated to cost the health service 1.5 billion pounds per annum. However, you have to offset that against the 7 billion pounds raised in tobacco tax. In other words, far from smokers costing the health service money, they are massive net contributors to the public purse...

FWIW, I've smoked for 20 odd years, and have no intention of stopping any time soon. I haven't smoked indoors since my wife became pregnant though, and never smoke near my kid.

Timepass
Jun 13, 2006, 04:39 PM
Here in the UK (where a pack of 20 costs around 6.00 pounds, or $11.00!!), smoking related illnesses are estimated to cost the health service 1.5 billion pounds per annum. However, you have to offset that against the 7 billion pounds raised in tobacco tax. In other words, far from smokers costing the health service money, they are massive net contributors to the public purse...

FWIW, I've smoked for 20 odd years, and have no intention of stopping any time soon. I haven't smoked indoors since my wife became pregnant though, and never smoke near my kid.

to tell you the turth you are a little wrong there. I dont remember the exact study or the number but it was goverment study I beleive in the US (I got back in heath class and that was like 7-8 years ago in HS).

but the basic of it is the cost the goverment more in the extra heath cost of the average smoker than they collect in taxes and I want to say almost 2 times as much. That extra ammount is compare to the average cost for a non-smoker.
So if no on smoke it would save the goverment more money they they where collecting in those extra taxes.

sushi
Jun 13, 2006, 04:55 PM
...Which is great unless they are your neighbors. :(
Yes, that would tend to suck for sure.

sushi
Jun 13, 2006, 05:08 PM
But I support the right of others to smoke, as long as they do so responsibly

<snip>

I also support the right of private businesses such as restaurants and bars to make their OWN policies regarding smoking in their establishments.

<snip>

Oh, and people who sue tobacco companies because they contracted cancer after smoking for however long should be thrown out on the curb and held responsible for court costs.
You make some good points.

Been around smokers most of my life. It's definitely addicting and a hard habit to quit.

Here in Japan, smoking is still very popular. You can smoke in almost every restaurant. I do find myself avoiding those where smoke is heavy.

Phil A.
Jun 13, 2006, 05:13 PM
to tell you the turth you are a little wrong there. I dont remember the exact study or the number but it was goverment study I beleive in the US (I got back in heath class and that was like 7-8 years ago in HS).

but the basic of it is the cost the goverment more in the extra heath cost of the average smoker than they collect in taxes and I want to say almost 2 times as much. That extra ammount is compare to the average cost for a non-smoker.
So if no on smoke it would save the goverment more money they they where collecting in those extra taxes.

It depends on the level of taxation - it's a fact that UK tobacco taxation raises over 7 billion GBP per annum, and the government's own figures show that smoking related illnesses cost the NHS approximately 1.5 billion GBP per annum.
As I said, we're very heavily taxed in the UK - countries that tax tobacco less would have different figures.

amacgenius
Jun 13, 2006, 05:21 PM
as I think all kids do,

I have never touched one and never will not only for the health negatives but it killed/weakened by Grandma (who practically raised me) and it's slowly affecting my mom.

I don't care if my friends smoke (50% of them do) and they know better than to ask me, and they don't so :).

zap2
Jun 13, 2006, 05:29 PM
My father does, but not much in the house(once in a while when we have a fire in the fireplace, but my mom tells him to go outside)

I find it terrible habbit, paying to kill yourself, but i do think people should have the legal right to do it.Also store and other private bussiness should have the right to make there smoking laws, just like Geno's should be allowed to request all orders in English, its there bussiness, if they lose money its there own fault.

Electro Funk
Jun 13, 2006, 05:35 PM

yes they do have a choice, dont stand near me while i am smoking a newport medium.... that is your choice.... ;)

Electro Funk
Jun 13, 2006, 05:37 PM

actually i have seen those "Death" brand ciggys in the us ... black pack with a skull & crossbones

Johnny Rico
Jun 13, 2006, 06:12 PM

exeterbohemian
Jun 13, 2006, 06:38 PM
oh, how sweet cancer can be. when i lived in france i became quite partial to davidoff cigarettes, which are wholly unavailable in the states. nowadays i'm mostly a lucky strike kind of guy. smoking is a choice. i know the health risks. but i still do it. we're all gonna die someday. and that prospect doesn't scare me. i'd rather spend my days doing something i truly enjoy than sitting in a bubble trying to live forever. people should be making choices for themselves. i fail to see how the government has the right to try and impose jurisdiction over mortality. then again, euthanasia is still illegal. a failed attempt at suicide and they lock you up for the rest of your days claiming you're not of 'sound mind'. what an arbitrary distinction. personal choices that are inconsequential to others should be left at the discretion of the individual. simple as that. you wanna drop acid? fine by me. just don't go out driving and start killing pedestrians. :rolleyes:

OutThere
Jun 13, 2006, 06:58 PM
As far as smoking goes I couldn't care less wtf people want to do. Fine, do it. Your choice.

As far as soapbox preaching goes, people who haven't had a serious addiction shouldn't preach about addiction. Talk to a recovered heroin addict about addiction and withdrawal. I have, and that s*** is ********* UP.

I prefer a beer to a cigarette (never mind that I've never had a cigarette...), but that's just me.

jadekitty24
Jun 13, 2006, 11:24 PM
Wow. I knew this thread would turn into a pile of dung.

Electro Funk
Jun 13, 2006, 11:37 PM

of course it would, we all knew it....

god forbid i do something other people dont like.... i am so sick and tired of people preaching to smokers....waaaaaa waaaaaa waaaaa.... keep your stinky smoke away from me.... waaa waaa waaa.....

dont get me wrong, i know smoke stinks to a non smoker, but you know what .... you have 2 legs just like i do... (unless yours have been amputated) so walk or roll away from my annoying second hand smoke...

i have many addictions, although i wont get into them here because i will get FLAMED by all the straight edgers who insist on telling ME how i should act, speak, spell, ....etc....

if i want to pop a vicodin or two for breakfast who are you to tell me what i can and cant do??? as long as i am not hurting you ar anyone else stay out of my personal life....

and dont give me all this BS about (waaaaa waaaa waaaa) all of us other americans will have to pay for rising health ins premiums because of people like you.... Take care of your own and i will worry about my own....

rant over......

out...............................

leekohler
Jun 13, 2006, 11:43 PM
Sorry but, the way I see it- we all do risky things every day. Most of those things are what makes life interesting and/or bearable! We can argue to death about what things should be paid for and whatnot. But at the end of the day, we all do things that no one else should have to pay for- whether it be skydiving, smoking, driving a car, having sex, eating too much, whatever! Get over it people! You're going to die someday no matter what. You can sit here and worry about it day after day or just enjoy your life. Truth is- nobody knows how much time they have. You can worry, worry and insulate yourself in a plastic bubble and guess what? You're still going to die. Go out, have fun and enjoy life as much as you can, because it's too damn short.

And I don't smoke anymore. I'm a non-smoker now, so can it! And I didn't quit for my health or your comfort. I quit because I can no longer afford it. Oh by the way, my blood pressure has actually gone up since I quit.

OutThere
Jun 13, 2006, 11:51 PM

I actually believe I was right in saying it directly from the start...it's just going up in smoke. :D

Sammis89
Jun 14, 2006, 12:12 AM
We talk about the health consiquinces, and the problems smoking causes to those around you, but how about stupid things, like the fact that your teeth turn yellow, and you allways smell like smoke, and alot of people who smoke feel pretty gross when they dont.

I'm a non-smoker, and will allways be. But my question is, why put thousands of dollars a year into something that is addictive and is killing you? I believe in rights for everyone, but (and i know this is a horrible and will become a controversial analogy), you have to go to a firing range to shoot a gun that probably wont hurt someone but might, so why isnt it ok for you to have to go somewhere special to smoke, which probably wont hurt someone but might?

Plus the fact that i think smoking is just plain disgusting.

However, i have nothing against the smoker themselves, just the decisions theyve made. And i greatly commend those who have quit.

Electro Funk
Jun 14, 2006, 12:41 AM
so why isnt it ok for you to have to go somewhere special to smoke, which probably wont hurt someone but might?

would be just as easy for you to go somewhere where i am not smoking ;)

look i am not going to argue about this all night.... fact of the matter is i know smoking is not good for me and i would like to quit sometime soon....

but the fact of the matter is, smoking ciggs is not illegal and i can smoke wherever i want (as long as im not in a restaurant in FLA)...

even then i have to go outside to smoke while at a restaurant or bar to smoke.... guess where they set up the smokers lounges.... at the front door so all the non smokers can walk by and make comments about how i am a disgusting smoker! .... get over it and get yourself a gas mask if its such a concern for you... (maybe it will keep the avian flu, mad cow disease, and the ebola virus from killing you as well :p )

i even once had an old lady in ohio yell at me for smoking at the table next to her in the "SMOKING SECTION" of a bar! i proceded to light up 5 giggs at the same time and blow the smoke at her and her husband the whole time they ate dinner :rolleyes: .... now im usually a pretty nice guy.... but if smoke bothers you that much.... move the the GIANT non-smoking section of the restaurant....

Audi Five Thoudi....

Electro Funk
Jun 14, 2006, 12:44 AM
We talk about the health consiquinces, and the problems smoking causes to those around you, but how about stupid things, like the fact that your teeth turn yellow

ever heard of brushing your teeth? i have been smoking for years and my teeth are pearly white.....

coffee turns your teeth brown.... do you drink any?

OutThere
Jun 14, 2006, 12:49 AM
ever heard of brushing your teeth? i have been smoking for years and my teeth are pearly white.....

coffee turns your teeth brown.... do you drink any?

Don't try and argue that smoking doesn't show up on your teeth. Your particular case might be special, I don't know, but you can tell smokers by their teeth. I'd guess that I could tell with 99% accuracy whether someone smoked (or has smoked heavily) just by looking at their teeth.

sushi
Jun 14, 2006, 01:35 AM
i even once had an old lady in ohio yell at me for smoking at the table next to her in the "SMOKING SECTION" of a bar! i proceded to light up 5 giggs at the same time and blow the smoke at her and her husband the whole time they ate dinner :rolleyes: .... now im usually a pretty nice guy.... but if smoke bothers you that much.... move the the GIANT non-smoking section of the restaurant....
Folks like you are what give smokers a bad name.

I've been around smokers most of my life. Most are sensitive to non-smoker issues and will adjust when possible.

Sammis89
Jun 14, 2006, 10:20 AM
I'm not saying that you're going to hell for smoking or whatever. It's a personal choice, and its one that has consiquinces, whether you believe them to be good or bad, just like any choice.

And i understand that smoking isn't illegal, but it is illegal in alot of places, so i think both non-smokers and smokers have to agree that in the places where it is legal its fine to smoke, and people cant flip out about it, but in places that are said to be off-limits, just dont smoke there. And i think that mos people are pretty good with that stuff.

Electro Funk
Jun 14, 2006, 11:05 AM

I've been around smokers most of my life. Most are sensitive to non-smoker issues and will adjust when possible.

IF YOU DONT LIKE SMOKE, DONT SIT IN THE SMOKING SECTION AND THEN BITCH AT SOMEONE WHO IS SMOKING!

Electro Funk
Jun 14, 2006, 11:10 AM
Don't try and argue that smoking doesn't show up on your teeth. Your particular case might be special, I don't know, but you can tell smokers by their teeth. I'd guess that I could tell with 99% accuracy whether someone smoked (or has smoked heavily) just by looking at their teeth.

i will argue this with you until my teeth turn yellow....

i am 33 and started smoking when i was 13.... i brush my teeth 3 times a day and i would be willing to bet that thay are whiter than yours.....:rolleyes:

Dont tell me what i should and should not argue about or we will have a whole new arguement on our hands... :rolleyes:

look im not advocting smoking and i sure dont encourage people to smoke.... but i will say this.... if i am in a smoking section and someone rudely yells at me about smoking.... they are definately going to regret it....

BakedBeans
Jun 14, 2006, 11:12 AM
IF YOU DONT LIKE SMOKE, DONT SIT IN THE SMOKING SECTION AND THEN BITCH AT SOMEONE WHO IS SMOKING!

I hate smoking and inconsiderate smokers... but your spot on...

As long as you dont flip out when someone says something when you are smoking in a non smoking area (not saying you do)

EDIT: just saw your "light up 5 cigs and blew it in their face" comment.... Lucky i wasnt there as you would be farting smoke for a month

OutThere
Jun 14, 2006, 12:01 PM
whiter than yours.....:rolleyes:

That's beside the point.

My point was not about your teeth in particular, but the fact that smoking stains teeth. I'd bet that almost all smokers would agree that smoking has negative effects on peoples teeth.

I said nothing about your teeth in particular.

Like I said earlier, I could care less wtf anyone does with regard to smoking. It's not my problem. However I won't stand down and let people say that smoking doesn't have any effect on teeth...because that's simply not true.

leekohler
Jun 14, 2006, 12:11 PM

As long as you dont flip out when someone says something when you are smoking in a non smoking area (not saying you do)

EDIT: just saw your "light up 5 cigs and blew it in their face" comment.... Lucky i wasnt there as you would be farting smoke for a month

Ya know what? He's got a point. If you deliberately sit in the smoking section of a restaurant then complain, you're an idiot! I don't blame him at all for what he did. It wasn't him who was being inconsiderate, it was her! Good Lord, there's an entire non-smoking section in the restaurant and she wants to go to the smoking section and start telling people not to smoke around her? Give me a break! :rolleyes: She needs to take responsibility for her own actions. And from what he said, she was rude to begin with.

clayj
Jun 14, 2006, 12:19 PM
BTW, as was mentioned above... the reason that governments don't just outright ban smoking is that they derive WAY too much tax income from the sale of cigarettes... the conversation goes something like this:

Bureaucrat #1: "Well, if smoking is so bad, why don't we just ban it and ban the growing of tobacco?"

Bureaucrat #2: "No, we can't do that! We'd lose a HUGE stream of tax revenue! We can't tax people for NOT smoking!"

Bureaucrat #1: "Hmm, good point. Well, what should we do?"

Bureaucrat #2: "Let's just keep raising the cigarette tax until we've maximized the amount of incoming tax revenue. At the same time, we'll keep making it illegal for people to smoke in restaurants, bars, offices... their cars... their homes... eventually, we'll have these poor idiots paying us $20 a pack just so they can shoot up... er, smoke only in sealed plastic bubbles which WE will sell them!"

Bureaucrat #1: "Oh, and I just realized that smokers die earlier than non-smokers, so we save a lot of money there by not having to pay them Social Security benefits for as long!"

Bureaucrat #2: "Yeah!"

You tell me who's more evil: The cigarette companies, or the government idiots who are making more money off cigarettes than the cigarette makers themselves do.

floriflee
Jun 14, 2006, 01:01 PM
My younger sister smoked for a few years. She had the hardest time giving it up even after a short period of time. Not to mention the stench in the car and her clothes, hair, breath.

I don't ever see myself starting that habit.

Josh
Jun 14, 2006, 01:26 PM
i even once had an old lady in ohio yell at me for smoking at the table next to her in the "SMOKING SECTION" of a bar! i proceded to light up 5 giggs at the same time and blow the smoke at her and her husband the whole time they ate dinner....

At any point during your demonstration, did you realize that by burning 5 at once, you were wasting *your* money and not theirs - thus not actually making a very good point?

:D

mactastic
Jun 14, 2006, 01:46 PM
So, just out of curiousity, I wonder if Mr. Funk would have any problem using his two legs to walk away from his meal at a restaurant if I were to exercise my right to fart?

And what if he complained too me, and rather than politely holding them in, I clenched up and started pushing out the nastiest, stinkiest farts I could muster?

No problem right? He'd just up and leave if that happened? I mean, there's no law against farting, right?

Dagless
Jun 14, 2006, 01:47 PM
My bus driver started smoking (!!!) which royally got on my tits. Other than that I have rarely been exposed to smoke. Nobody in my family has been daft enough to smoke, except my no-brainer brother. incidentally the only person in our family to have never passed secondary school either.

Johnny Rico
Jun 14, 2006, 03:56 PM
I have to look at ugly, ugly people all day long and I find it to be particularly offensive to my aesthetic taste. I am much more attractive than you, but does that mean I want you to stare at me, much less even be on the same side of the street as me? There should be a law, I swear.

yellow
Jun 14, 2006, 04:00 PM
My bus driver started smoking (!!!) which royally got on my tits.

See what happens when you don't smoke? Boys grow boobs! :)

leekohler
Jun 14, 2006, 04:07 PM
So, just out of curiousity, I wonder if Mr. Funk would have any problem using his two legs to walk away from his meal at a restaurant if I were to exercise my right to fart?

And what if he complained too me, and rather than politely holding them in, I clenched up and started pushing out the nastiest, stinkiest farts I could muster?

No problem right? He'd just up and leave if that happened? I mean, there's no law against farting, right?

That would depend on whether or not he entered the Farting Section and asked you not to fart. Bad comparison. :rolleyes: Come on, give me a break.

mactastic
Jun 14, 2006, 04:08 PM
That would depend on whether or not he entered the Farting Section and asked you not to fart. Bad comparison. :rolleyes:
The whole world is a farting section, no? :confused:

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 14, 2006, 04:11 PM
See what happens when you don't smoke? Boys grow boobs! :)This is true. I got my manboobs** after I stopped smoking... :o

**luckily just small AA cups, or whatever is the smallest sixe possible, but still... :p

leekohler
Jun 14, 2006, 04:20 PM
The whole world is a farting section, no? :confused:

Didn't realize it was. However, it's still a bad comparison. How do you hold a fart? I know I can't. They happen whether or not you want them to.

And it still irrelevant. That woman entered an area where she knew people were permitted to engage in a certain behavior and then complained about it, when there were options available to her. In my book, that makes her an idiot and an a**hole.

mactastic
Jun 14, 2006, 04:25 PM
Didn't realize it was. However, it's till a bad comparison. How do you hold a fart? I know I can't. They happen whether or not you want them to.
What I'm wondering is whether there is a distinction made between one noxious gas, and another.

Would someone who is offended by people who don't like their smoke be offended if someone sat down next to them in an area not marked "No Farting" and proceeded to rip farts with no consideration of anyone around them?

I think it's a fair comparison.

Edit: Dammit Lee, quit editing your posts!

Just to clarify, this isn't to rebut the charge of someone sitting in a no smoking section and complaining. This is a general question about someone who is adamant about their right to smoke and their attitude towards a different odious gas.

clayj
Jun 14, 2006, 04:26 PM
Didn't realize it was. However, it's still a bad comparison. How do you hold a fart? I know I can't. They happen whether or not you want them to.

And it still irrelevant. That woman enetred an area where she knew people were permitted to engage in a certain behavior and then complained about it, when there were options available to her. In my book, that makes her an idiot and an a**hole.Total agreement.

And I'd like to extend that argument further. If a bar or restaurant, even in a fascist city like New York City or Los Angeles, chooses to allow smoking inside and posts a sign on the door that says "We allow smoking in this establishment", then I submit that any person who objects to cigarette smoke and goes inside anyway, or any person who complains about the fact that smoking is allowed in said establishment, is a total moron and deserves to be kicked strongly and repeatedly in the ass until their urge to be a moron is dissipated.

leekohler
Jun 14, 2006, 04:39 PM
Edit: Dammit Lee, quit editing your posts!

I'm at work, I have no choice. ;)

sushi
Jun 14, 2006, 06:29 PM
I was commenting on your post in general.

Unfortunately, your response is exactly what I expected it to be. No surprises there.

The key is for tolerance and understanding on both sides.

As for your comment above, while I wasn't there and only know of the situation based on your comments, smoking 5 cigarettes and blowing smoke in response to the lady is a rather immature response on your part.

whooleytoo
Jun 14, 2006, 06:49 PM
How do you hold a fart? I know I can't.

Note to self: Strike leekohler off list of MacRumors users I'd like to meet..

(;) !)

princealfie
Jun 14, 2006, 07:50 PM
Cigarettes are such as waste of money. I can afford more Mac with all the crap that goes up in smoke.

jaysmith
Jun 14, 2006, 10:01 PM
what the hell? who CAN"T hold in farts? my sympathies to your friends and immediate family.

sushi
Jun 14, 2006, 10:29 PM
Note to self: Strike leekohler off list of MacRumors users I'd like to meet..

(;) !)
Especially in a small room! :eek: :D

zap2
Jun 14, 2006, 10:34 PM
what the hell? who CAN"T hold in farts? my sympathies to your friends and immediate family.

never the less a fart is not something you choice to have(maybe you can put it off a little but its still coming ) but its a natural thing, while smoking is a 3rd party thing

Electro Funk
Jun 14, 2006, 10:54 PM

did you happen to read that i was sitting in the tiny smoking section of the restaurant that was located in the bar???????

there were 75 other tables in the non smoking section she could have sat at and been completely smoke free....

i am actually a very consderate smoker.... i dont want to offend people...

fact of the matter is, if you dont like smoke, dont sit in the smoking section and then rudely yell at someone for smoking.... enough said....

Electro Funk
Jun 14, 2006, 10:59 PM

actually, i would have probably spit out my drink and food and burst out in laughter! Then i would have light up a newport just to see if we would all go up in flames from all the methane that was released from your arse! :p

Electro Funk
Jun 14, 2006, 11:07 PM

funny thing is, she went and got the manager of the restaurant to complain that i was smoking too much and it was bothering her....

you know what the managers answer was?

Then why did you request a table in the bar (which is the smoking section)...

she then got mad at the manager and asked to have her meal comped or she would never visit the establishment again....

he said no and have a nice day! :D

Electro Funk
Jun 15, 2006, 06:41 AM
I was commenting on your post in general.

Unfortunately, your response is exactly what I expected it to be. No surprises there.

The key is for tolerance and understanding on both sides.

As for your comment above, while I wasn't there and only know of the situation based on your comments, smoking 5 cigarettes and blowing smoke in response to the lady is a rather immature response on your part.

Get of your soapbox and cool down.... i did not light the 5 ciggys until she bothered me for a good 45 minutes about smoking in the smoking section...

if it was a non smoking restaurant/bar i woould have walked outside to smoke..... fact of the matter is i was sitting in the SMOKING SECTION...

can you read???? do you know what that means????

iGav
Jun 15, 2006, 06:54 AM
smoking shrinks dicks. ;) True.

BakedBeans
Jun 15, 2006, 07:05 AM
did you happen to read that i was sitting in the tiny smoking section of the restaurant that was located in the bar???????

there were 75 other tables in the non smoking section she could have sat at and been completely smoke free....

i am actually a very consderate smoker.... i dont want to offend people...

fact of the matter is, if you dont like smoke, dont sit in the smoking section and then rudely yell at someone for smoking.... enough said....

I did agree, and said you were 'spot on' (which means right ;) ) to be pissed off, you were in thet right until you went out of your way to deliberately blow smoke at people eating there meal...

I'm not saying you were wrong in the initial.... just the reaction wouldnt have sit nicely with me.

then again, i would not have seen it because i sit in the non smoking section :)

blackfox
Jun 15, 2006, 07:08 AM
hmmm...sooner or later, these threads always bring out the worst on both sides of the issue.

I smoke, and for a very good reason(s).

If I didn't smoke, I would just be too damn attractive to all the ladies out there, making my life more complicated than it already is.

By smoking, however, my smoky aroma and bad teeth (esp. since I am English), tend to bring only women who have either (a) bad taste, or (b) low standards.

Which is perfect. I also get to play up the jerk/badboy-angle, since I am a still a smoker, in this day-and-age, yet women feel secure around me, knowing that they could always run away and I would never be able to catch them after the first 20 meters - as I would be too out of breath.

Which side am I on?

Electro Funk
Jun 15, 2006, 09:01 AM
I did agree, and said you were 'spot on' (which means right ;) ) to be pissed off, you were in thet right until you went out of your way to deliberately blow smoke at people eating there meal...

I'm not saying you were wrong in the initial.... just the reaction wouldnt have sit nicely with me.

then again, i would not have seen it because i sit in the non smoking section :)

maybe i failed to mention that she bitched and complained to me for a good 20 minutes before i started to blow smoke in their direction....

i am actually a very nice guy to everyone i meet.... but when some old blue hair sitting in the smoking section annoys me for a good 20 minutes about smoking when there a 20+ other people smoking in the same area then i get annoyed myself.... (hence the 5 ciggys and tons of smoke heading her way :p )

i now live in florida where you can not smoke in any restaurant unless they sell 50% more alcohol than food.... which basically means if you serve food there is no smoking.... i have no problem walking outside to have a smoke... furthermore i dont mind waiting until im done with my meal and have one on the way home..... BUT..... if im sitting in a bar where smoking is allowed, watching a game and having some drinks and appetizers, i am going to smoke a few ciggs.... if you dont like the smoke, go sit somewhere else.....

enough said.....

sushi
Jun 15, 2006, 09:45 AM
enough said.....
You know, it would have been nice if you told the whole story at first.

That way we all would have better understood the situation.

However, to be up front, I am wondering just how much you are changing your story based on feedback.

For example, first you said this in response to one of my posts:

i did not light the 5 ciggys until she bothered me for a good 45 minutes about smoking in the smoking section...

And then you said the following in response to BakedBeans:

maybe i failed to mention that she bitched and complained to me for a good 20 minutes before i started to blow smoke in their direction....

Not trying to nitpick, but if your story changes as you tell it, er. re-tell it, how can we make reasonable replies? I'll give ya a hint, it's very difficult.

It looks like the person in question sat in a smoking section and complained about your smoking. After some time, you responded by lighting 5 cigs and blowing smoke in her face.

You both were wrong, she for complaining and you for blowing smoke at her. Neither was a mature response.

Anyhow, I am sure that your story will change again so it is really a moot point to keep discussing this.

leekohler
Jun 15, 2006, 10:43 AM

However, to be up front, I am wondering just how much you are changing your story based on feedback.

Not trying to nitpick, but if your story changes as you tell it, er. re-tell it, how can we make reasonable replies? I'll give ya a hint, it's very difficult.

It looks like the person in question sat in a smoking section and complained about your smoking. After some time, you responded by lighting 5 cigs and blowing smoke in her face.

You both were wrong, she for complaining and you for blowing smoke at her. Neither was a mature response.

Anyhow, I am sure that your story will change again so it is really a moot point to keep discussing this.

Not to nitpick, but I got that she was being rude the first time he posted. No- his response was not mature, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same after being bothered like that. However, I would have most likely told her to go sit in non-smoking and ****. ;)

Electro Funk
Jun 15, 2006, 11:04 AM

look man/or kid, not sure... the time is irrevelent.... if you are calling me a liar we have a new issue on our hands.... was telling a quick story regarding smoking.... i could care less if you belive me or not... what i can tell you is get down off your soap box and quit nitpicking my posts to death....

fact of the matter is she was in the smoking section complaining about me smoking....

i really dont give a flying fu*k if you think im rude or immature....

Edit.... deleted a few things that probably did make me sound immature.....

sushi
Jun 15, 2006, 11:05 AM
Not to nitpick, but I got that she was being rude the first time he posted. No- his response was not mature, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same after being bothered like that. However, I would have most likely told her to go sit in non-smoking and ****. ;)
After 20, 45 or ? minutes, it would have gotten old for sure.

I think this is a good example of where it is best to completely illustrate a situation when posting.

My view of the situation has definitely changed since I started replying to his posts.

...and yes, I may have acted immature in his situation as well. ;)

Josh
Jun 15, 2006, 11:27 AM
look man/or kid, not sure... the time is irrevelent.... if you are calling me a liar we have a new issue on our hands.... was telling a quick story regarding smoking.... i could care less if you belive me or not... what i can tell you is get down off your soap box and quit nitpicking my posts to death....

fact of the matter is she was in the smoking section complaining about me smoking....

I am actually a very nice guy until some little punk ass calls me a liar and implies that i am making up and changing my story as i go.....

so go ahead and report my post now.... il be waiting to hear from a mod.....:rolleyes:

Just pointing out that calling people names and refering to them as "kids," all while reminding others that you are "a very nice mature guy" is absolutely futile.

Regardless of how ridiculous your story is, how immature your actions were, your posts make me question whether or not you were able to legally buy those "5 ciggs."

Not nit-picking ;)

sushi
Jun 15, 2006, 11:28 AM

I am actually a very nice guy until some little punk ass calls me a liar and implies that i am making up and changing my story as i go.....
Temper. Temper. Temper. :eek:

Sorry that you think of me a little punk ass because I was merely reflecting your posting. I guess for some time is not important. For some of us it is based on our occupations/hobbies/etc.

Anyhow, maybe next time it would be best to describe the whole story at first then we all can understand the situation better. In fact if you had done this most of us would probably understand why you did what you did. We may even agree with you on what you did.

Anyhow, take a chill pill. It's only a message board.

so go ahead and report my post now.... il be waiting to hear from a mod.....:rolleyes:
Naw. You go ahead and report yourself. ;)

Electro Funk
Jun 15, 2006, 11:51 AM
Temper. Temper. Temper. :eek:

Sorry that you think of me a little punk ass because I was merely reflecting your posting. I guess for some time is not important. For some of us it is based on our occupations/hobbies/etc.

Anyhow, maybe next time it would be best to describe the whole story at first then we all can understand the situation better. In fact if you had done this most of us would probably understand why you did what you did. We may even agree with you on what you did.

Anyhow, take a chill pill. It's only a message board.

Naw. You go ahead and report yourself. ;)

if you noticed i edited my post before both you and josh quoted me....

yes, i got a bit out of control.... so i do apologize for that....

but i will stick to my guns....my story is true and i wont stand by and say nothing when someone is calling me a liar.....;)

Electro Funk
Jun 15, 2006, 11:58 AM
Just pointing out that calling people names and refering to them as "kids," all while reminding others that you are "a very nice mature guy" is absolutely futile.

Regardless of how ridiculous your story is, how immature your actions were, your posts make me question whether or not you were able to legally buy those "5 ciggs."

Not nit-picking ;)

i did not get "futile" until sushi accused me of changing my story after getting feedback from other people which was certainly not the case....

look at my other posts on this forum.... i have never argued with anyone regarding anything! i was here telling a smoking story and he basically called me a liar.... so yes i got a little crazy.... if you noticed i deleted those comments before you both posted (or as you were typing) your responses.....

and for the record, i ws old enough to buy ciggys 15 years ago....

MultiM
Jun 15, 2006, 04:02 PM
Wow, that was fun...I would definately have been rude/immature too, if I still smoked. Now i can be a rude/immature non-smoker! Even more fun.:D

BTW: I quit 7 years ago for the last and final time. If you are going to quit, the only way to do it is to actually make the decision to. Obviosly I haven't read this thread for a day or 2, but what the heck...

auxplage
Jun 15, 2006, 10:24 PM
Thank you to everyone that actually made this thread worthwhile.

It ended up doing much better than I anticipated. :)

Electro Funk
Jun 15, 2006, 11:14 PM
Thank you to everyone that actually made this thread worthwhile.

It ended up doing much better than I anticipated. :)

Glad i could help! :D

Actually i would like to apologize to Sushi and Josh for jumping down their throats today.... was a bad day for me and should not have taken it out on any of the members of this fine community....:o

rickvanr
Jun 16, 2006, 12:08 AM
Cigarettes? No.

Cigars? Yes.

Pipe? Yes.

Neither of which are a habit, just every now and again.

XNine
Jun 16, 2006, 12:21 AM
If you ask me the whole "War on Smoking" is like the "War on drugs." People figured out they can't do anything about drugs running in the streets, so they target something that has pretty much bolstered the American economy since its inception.

When did I start? Too young, that's for sure. I was 12. I look at my nephew now, he's 13 and I can't believe I started smoking at his age. It's been twelve years now. Surely if I were to find out smoking, he'd get slapped in the back of the head.

Personally, I don't give a **** if someone is a smoker or not. If you don't smoke, naturally I won't smoke in your car or home, and will try to stand a few feet away from you so you're not immersed in it. But don't lecture me on quitting, or cancer, or money, cos I don't care.

What I've loved is being able to walk into a restaurant when there's 40 people waiting for a seat and go straight to the bar, sit down, order a drink and food and be gone before any one of those people gets an appetizer. Now THAT is service.

OutThere
Jun 16, 2006, 12:47 AM
What I've loved is being able to walk into a restaurant when there's 40 people waiting for a seat and go straight to the bar, sit down, order a drink and food and be gone before any one of those people gets an appetizer. Now THAT is service.

I can do the same...smoke doesn't bother me 90% of the time. I grew up dealing with the smell and burn of it when we were in Europe (on the street/cafes/restaurants/hotels...).

The only thing about smoking that really bothers me is when I'm interested in a girl, and I find out she smokes. Kissing a smoker = puke. *barfs*

That said, I can stay away from smokers and I could care less what they do....so tempting sometimes though...:p

scem0
Jun 16, 2006, 09:19 AM
Personally, I don't give a **** if someone is a smoker or not. If you don't smoke, naturally I won't smoke in your car or home, and will try to stand a few feet away from you so you're not immersed in it. But don't lecture me on quitting, or cancer, or money, cos I don't care.

What about people that lecture not for their own benefit, but out of love and care for you?

e