PDA

View Full Version : invisible shield on a laptop

QCassidy352
Jun 13, 2006, 05:43 PM
I haven't seen this discussed here before...

I absolutely love the invisible shield on my ipod nano. A little hard to apply, but a wonderful product. Well, the same people offer laptop invisible shields. (http://www.shieldzone.com/category/laptops/) I'm tempted. I'm super-anal about keeping my computers nice, and my experience with the shield on my ipod tells me that nothing will protect my macbook for its life like an invisible shield.

But my concern is heat. My macbook doesn't get very hot, but I'm worried that putting this shield on it would trap too much heat and it would get really hot, perhaps even so hot it would be bad for the laptop.

Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any thoughts about the heat issue? thanks! :)

QCassidy352
Jun 14, 2006, 01:59 PM
nobody has tried this or has any thoughts on how it might effect heat?

wingsky
Jun 14, 2006, 02:46 PM
Why would the invisible shield affect heat? Seeing as it's plastic, same as the actual Macbook case, there won't be any difference, unless you cover up the vents :rolleyes:

Anyways I don't think there would be any other problems, what about the feel of it? Will it be a bother for you to actually feel the texture of the invisible shield on you Macbook?

JackSYi
Jun 15, 2006, 11:22 PM
I am considering the full body shield for my black MacBook, but I don't know what it will look like with it on and more importantly if I will like it.

wako
Jun 15, 2006, 11:42 PM
It does look like something I might get when I get my macbook....

however just to point out, I think their Lifetime Guarantee is kind of stupid and funny.. It says under the MacBook, "so if it ever does get scratched we'll replace it. For FREE. For LIFE." Well that is just great, I am happy that they are that confident in their product that they would replace it if it does get scratched. However if it does get scratched, more than likely, MY COMPUTER IS SCRATCHED! Why would I want another one?! ;)

EDIT: I just watched the videos, and they seem VERY convincing....

prostuff1
Jun 16, 2006, 04:11 AM
I want one of these but for my iBook. Kinda makes me made that they dont offer a full body shield for the 12in iBook. At least they offer it for the newer machines so when i pick one of them up i can get it.

Here is to hoping they make them for the older model apple laptops.

JackSYi
Jun 16, 2006, 10:25 AM
I had one for my black video iPod and it was great, but I don't know how my black MacBook would look. Plus, its so expensive. :(

kinesin
Jun 17, 2006, 04:06 AM
I've ordered a full body shield for my MacBook, as I've already got shields for my DS Lite. - The yellowing issue was the main reason, at least covering the trackpad and wrist rest should stop any issues there.

I've got a white MB which should look fine with a shield, but the BlackBooks may look a little strange.

prostuff1
Jun 17, 2006, 04:29 AM
I've ordered a full body shield for my MacBook, as I've already got shields for my DS Lite. - The yellowing issue was the main reason, at least covering the trackpad and wrist rest should stop any issues there.

I've got a white MB whick should look fine with a shield, but the BlackBooks may look a little strange.

True, but my thought is that it is always better strange looking then broke or scratched.

JackSYi
Jun 17, 2006, 04:43 AM
True, but my thought is that it is always better strange looking then broke or scratched.

To a certain degree I agree with your philosophy. I did in fact purchase the full body shield (after looking at one on the MacBook Pros) for my black MacBook because of the fingerprints and oil marks that appear on its casing. Better slightly awkward than looking "greasy".

jdiddy
Jun 17, 2006, 04:50 AM
Please post pictures to those who have ordered. I have a invisible shield on my nano and would love to get one for my next 'book

ScarletRed
Jun 17, 2006, 08:30 AM
... I think their Lifetime Guarantee is kind of stupid and funny.. It says under the MacBook, "so if it ever does get scratched we'll replace it. For FREE. For LIFE." Well that is just great, I am happy that they are that confident in their product that they would replace it if it does get scratched. However if it does get scratched, more than likely, MY COMPUTER IS SCRATCHED! Why would I want another one?! ;)

I guess the presumption here is that the protective polymer coating is thick enough to stop ordinary scratches from scratching the laptop casing. On plastic casings such as iBook, scratches may not show readily but on aluminum casings on MacBook Pro, even the smallest scratch would be highly visible.

To those who purchased the invisible shield, can the protective coating be taken off without leaving sticky residues on the laptop itself?

wako
Jun 17, 2006, 12:50 PM
according to the website, you can take it off. On top of that, if you do take it off because you need to send it in to Apple for repairs for example, you can send it back to them to get it replaced as long as you send in the old one. :eek:

MacClueless
Jun 21, 2006, 03:57 PM
I did in fact purchase the full body shield (after looking at one on the MacBook Pros)

Hi -I'm about to purchase a 17" Mac Book Pro and considering the shield for it. I already have a similar product from "Best Skins Ever" on my Nano and my Blackberry but I'm wondering how it would look on the Mac Book Pro given the aluminium skin.

How did the one you saw look?

JackSYi
Jun 21, 2006, 04:34 PM
Hi -I'm about to purchase a 17" Mac Book Pro and considering the shield for it. I already have a similar product from "Best Skins Ever" on my Nano and my Blackberry but I'm wondering how it would look on the Mac Book Pro given the aluminium skin.

How did the one you saw look?

It looked really good. I'm a big fan of the Apple design, but this didn't ruin that. The shield is perfectly cut so that everything (even the battery) is covered perfectly. But make sure it is installed correctly or it can look wierd.

MacClueless
Jun 21, 2006, 04:36 PM
It looked really good. I'm a big fan of the Apple design, but this didn't ruin that. The shield is perfectly cut so that everything (even the battery) is covered perfectly. But make sure it is installed correctly or it can look wierd.

I think I'm gonna get it and apply it the moment I pull the 17" out of the box. Thanks. :)

Sesshi
Jun 21, 2006, 04:48 PM
It does look like something I might get when I get my macbook....

however just to point out, I think their Lifetime Guarantee is kind of stupid and funny.. It says under the MacBook, "so if it ever does get scratched we'll replace it. For FREE. For LIFE." Well that is just great, I am happy that they are that confident in their product that they would replace it if it does get scratched. However if it does get scratched, more than likely, MY COMPUTER IS SCRATCHED! Why would I want another one?! ;)

EDIT: I just watched the videos, and they seem VERY convincing....

My invisibleshield for the iPod is quite scratched. Not hideously so but there are plenty of small scratches about a quarter of an inch long if I look. Does this mean I can get another one?

JackSYi
Jun 21, 2006, 05:33 PM
I think I'm gonna get it and apply it the moment I pull the 17" out of the box. Thanks. :)

I bought the full shield for my Black MacBook, and I am waiting for the UPS to delivery it today!

JackSYi
Jun 21, 2006, 05:37 PM
My invisibleshield for the iPod is quite scratched. Not hideously so but there are plenty of small scratches about a quarter of an inch long if I look. Does this mean I can get another one?

I had one for my iPod, and wanted another one because I had little bubbles, so I asked them if they can send me another one. They did. Only thing is, they asked me to send in my old one.

joebells
Jun 21, 2006, 09:38 PM
I don't blame them for wanting you to send in the old one. People would call in and get new ones shipped out and split the cost with friends.

I'm interested in seeing pics myself 50 bucks is expensive though aaaaaaah.

Lucky8
Jun 21, 2006, 10:08 PM
ditto on the pics

JackSYi
Jun 22, 2006, 12:27 AM
I've installed it! its looking good so far. They said to let it set for 1-3 days. :confused: I'll post pictures in a couple of days.

Bill Gates
Jun 22, 2006, 12:39 AM
What about screen protection? They don't seem to offer that (although you could custom order something).

JackSYi
Jun 22, 2006, 12:41 AM
What about screen protection? They don't seem to offer that (although you could custom order something).

No screen protection.

Bill Gates
Jun 22, 2006, 12:45 AM
No screen protection.
Yes, I noticed, but can you suggest an alternative or if this would even "work?" By that I mean without reducing the image quality significantly. A marginal reduction for peace of mind is fine in my book.

JackSYi
Jun 22, 2006, 12:47 AM
Yes, I noticed, but can you suggest an alternative or if this would even "work?" By that I mean without reducing the image quality significantly. A marginal reduction for peace of mind is fine in my book.

Hmmm... you know, I can't think of an alternative. However, screen protection is not so necessary.

Bill Gates
Jun 22, 2006, 12:50 AM
Hmmm... you know, I can't think of an alternative. However, screen protection is not so necessary.
Perhaps not typically, but if it's feasible I'd like to protect every single part of it. I plan on purchasing a MBP in early August and I'd like for it to look like the day it was purchased 4 years from now when I purchase a new one.

Sesshi
Jun 22, 2006, 02:54 AM
I had one for my iPod, and wanted another one because I had little bubbles, so I asked them if they can send me another one. They did. Only thing is, they asked me to send in my old one.

Cool. I'll contact them. Thanks for that.

JackSYi
Jun 22, 2006, 03:01 AM
No prob.

iHeartTheApple
Jun 22, 2006, 11:40 AM
I, too, have been thinking of getting an InvisibleShield for my white MB, mainly to thwart the discoloration issue, if it ever decides to show up. I've had an InvisibleShield on my 5G 60GB white iPod for about 6 months now and I think it works great...

*however*

I have two issues:

1. It's pretty challenging to apply and get the bubbles out...plan to spend some time if you're like me and really anal about the nastiness of bubbles, dust particles, etc. Maybe application on a larger surface like the MB would be easier, I'm not sure...

2. After just a month or so of use, the InvisibleShield on my iPod began to show an accumulation of dirt and debris on the sticky edges of the Shield material, particularly on the top of the front shield. Has anyone else seen this?

I would love to get the Shield for my MB, but I'm really just afraid of #2...:confused: :eek: I second the motion for pictures of MB's with Shields on! :D

leftydave
Aug 12, 2007, 09:35 PM
there is a site bestskinsever.com where I bought one for my iphone, total coverage for $9, for macbooks they cost $28, check it out, no tax and $1 for shipping

byakuya
Aug 29, 2007, 06:55 AM
I have received my invisible shields today and posted some unpacking pictures on my blog (http://daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com/2007/08/shieldzones-invisible-shield-for.html). I got myself the full body version for the macbook. If anyone has some tips on how to apply them correctly alligned and without any bubbles please send me some tips to my email or via PM. I'd really appreciate it.

byakuya
Sep 5, 2007, 04:20 PM
Firstly thanks to all who have given me some valuable advice on how to apply the shields. I have applied my shields without trouble on my white MB and up until now am very pleased by the shields itself. I am currently writing my review on the shields and have published my very own strength test video and boy am I impressed how much abuse the invisible shield can take. I really think that these shields might be one of the toughest on the market.

byakuya

SpaceJello
Sep 5, 2007, 11:14 PM
I have invisible shield/bestskinever etc on my ipods and mbp. I don't know why when I read the posts online or see pictures, there are always AWLFUL bubbles.

First, many of the small bubbles disappear after the shield dries. Second, you really just have to be patience when applying and keep on the lookout for big bubble formation. And most importantly, remember its a piece of plastic, it can stretch if you aren't aligned right first try :)

Hope this helps. OH don't over do the water either.

byakuya
Sep 6, 2007, 10:47 AM
Patience surely is the key to applying the shields without bubbles and it doesn't hurt to get the shields aligned on the first try either;)
I have finished writing my review and published it on my blog. If anyone is interested in a few pictures and some advice on how to apply the shields please visit.
Hope the review helps some people to decide whether to buy the shields or not.

byakuya

imac/cheese
Sep 6, 2007, 12:40 PM
ditto on the pics

If the shield is invisible, I am not sure that pics would help out.... ;)

byakuya
Sep 6, 2007, 01:29 PM
If the shield is invisible, I am not sure that pics would help out.... ;)

LOL...sure you're right.
Unfortunately the shields aren't completely invisible;)

byakuya

byakuya
Sep 7, 2007, 05:59 PM
since I have an announcement regarding the invisible shields for the Macbooks I will post in here. I have a giveaway contest going on on my blog where you can win the full body set for the macbook by shieldzone. if your interested please drop by.

I wish you guys a nice weekend.

byakuya

byakuya
Sep 8, 2007, 05:44 AM
Just a short update...I made a mistake on my blog the first time the contest goes till the 16th of SEPTEMBER of course and not august.
Please excuse any confusion I may have caused...

byakuya