Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Core Trio

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2006
New Jersey
Hey everyone. My band recently played a show in Philadelphia that we have recorded on a friends Samsung Mini DVD camcorder, as my Canon DV camera is broken at the moment. However sadly there is no firewire port on this camera to connect to my powerbook to edit it all together.

I was wondering, would i be able to insert the mini dvd (into my external FW drive ofcourse, not the slot loading drive) and rip the file to my HD for editing?

Any help/advice would be grealty appreciated, thanks

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Yup.. You need the QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component and MPEG Streamclip to convert the VOBs on the mini-DVD into editable files.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah it's not exactly free. MPEG Streamclip is free, but the QT MPEG2 Playback Component costs $20 and QT Pro costs $30.

I suppose something like Handbrake could work but that's just a guess, as I have no experience with it.

Core Trio

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2006
New Jersey
i tried handbrake and the files wont import right, it changed it to a compressed format anyway and Id rather work with it as uncompressed as possible. I guess Ill burn a regular sized dvd from the smaller one and use MacTheRipper to get the TSO file. Anyone know if iMovie can read tso?

mattmikulla

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
Do I need an external dvd reader?

I am wondering how I actually get the movie footage on the mac by hooking the camera up with the usb cable. It doesn't mount when I do. Or do I need to use an external drive that will handle the mini dvd disc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.