PDA

View Full Version : Next Generation iPod 'Soon'?

MacRumors
Jun 15, 2006, 09:18 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

During Hon Hai's annual meeting (http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/detail.asp?GRP=E&id=84130), Chairman Terry Gou made a startling, albeit brief revelation about Apple's iPod plans.

Apple is about to unveil the next generation of iPod, the best-selling music player in the U.S., using a "none-touch" concept, Gou said without elaborating. --ChinaPost.com.tw

Hon Hai manufacturers Apple's iPods among other things. It is unclear what exactly "about to unveil" means, as the rest of the ChinaPost article discusses financial issues up to 5 years out. Also unclear is what exactly Gou meant by a "none-touch" concept, and whether his "next generation iPod" comments were in reference to a 6G iPod (a supposed incremental upgrade of the 5G) or to the rumored 'true' video iPod, or to another iPod model (Nano, Shuffle).

Hon Hai has recently received negative press regarding its iPod factory conditions (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/06/20060614153017.shtml), and it too soon to know how Apple's investigation into the matter will affect Hon Hai's contract to produce Apple's hardware.

Update: A recent Apple patent describing an audio interface for the iPod could be related to the "none-touch" concept. Patent described at Macsimum. (http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apple_files_patent_for_an_audio_interface_for_the_ipod/)

Rocket Rion
Jun 15, 2006, 09:22 AM
HAHA! Loose lips sink ships.

rye9
Jun 15, 2006, 09:23 AM
Too many new iPod rumors.. I dont know which ones to believe.

verbose
Jun 15, 2006, 09:26 AM
Methinks Hon Hai is about to get Heave-Ho'd . . .

JasonDawg18
Jun 15, 2006, 09:29 AM
How could it be "none-touch" - what does that mean???

gavd
Jun 15, 2006, 09:30 AM

Just what I was thinking...

Core Trio
I guess we're going to be changing songs just by thinking about it.

:rolleyes:

AtHomeBoy_2000
Brain implants control the iPod

tk421
Jun 15, 2006, 09:31 AM

You may be right. First human-rights issues, and now they reveal Apple's future plans. And all in the space of a few days.

jrv3034
"using a "none-touch" concept"

Translation: All your iPod are belong to us! ;)

Can't wait to see what it ends up looking like.

aricher
hmmmm - touch screen interface with optional voice controls?

thejadedmonkey
I can't wait for a new one...it's about time, the 5th gen really didn't impress me as being anything more than evolutional. Here's to hoping this one's revolutional in it's design, much like the 1st, 3rd, and mini were.

JW Pepper
Jun 15, 2006, 09:34 AM
Hon Hi is about to make their last iPod.

Macmaniac
Jun 15, 2006, 09:35 AM
I think I like the brain implants idea better:D

Phobophobia
Jun 15, 2006, 09:37 AM
"none touch" references to using motions sensors to control instead of a click wheel.

mmmcheese
maybe he was talking about the manufacturing process....maybe they are assembled by telekinesis....

hob
maybe none-touch meant that it will NOT be touch screen... obviously the source is not a native English speaker... perhaps that's what they meant?

Also, this could be the same product as the recently rumoured NAND-based miniature mac?

mmmcheese
Jun 15, 2006, 09:39 AM
"none touch" references to using motions sensors to control instead of a click wheel.

Unless you have Parkinson's...

Sharewaredemon
Jun 15, 2006, 09:39 AM
I can't wait for a new one...it's about time, the 5th gen really didn't impress me as being anything more than evolutional. Here's to hoping this one's revolutional in it's design, much like the 1st, 3rd, and mini were.

I agree with you opinions about the 1G 3G and mini being that way.

aricher
Jun 15, 2006, 09:40 AM
I think I like the brain implants idea better:D

Better than a nipple mounted scroll wheel?

longofest
Jun 15, 2006, 09:40 AM

You may be on to something...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/04/apple-patents-audio-user-interface/

Sam43054
Jun 15, 2006, 09:41 AM
Wont happen till Oct...

Heres why..

New U2 iPod Released :(

They just started the iPod with Mac discount

First iPod was in Oct of 2001, Oct 2001 to Oct 2006 is 5 years... They will make a big deal out of it being 5 years!!!! :D

Other side notes.....

Finish all Macs to intel before the new iPod

Phobophobia
Jun 15, 2006, 09:45 AM
Wont happen till Oct...

Heres why..

The new iPod and U2 iPod could easily coexist--especially since the U2 iPod only comes in 30 GB.

DaveTheGrey
Jun 15, 2006, 09:47 AM

Why not? (http://www.neurosky.com/) :rolleyes:

Kingsly
HAHA! Loose lips sink ships.
Or in this case cancel contracts.

dausone
Wont happen till Oct.

Im not buying it... maybe because the new iPod was supposed to be released in April? Maybe because I just want to see it sooner.

interlard
Jun 15, 2006, 09:50 AM
I guess he wants to give Apple 2 reasons to fire his company's sorry ass.

Isn't it reassuring that most companies are managed by total idiots?

jaxstate
Jun 15, 2006, 09:50 AM
I think your 100% correct.
maybe none-touch meant that it will NOT be touch screen... obviously the source is not a native English speaker... perhaps that's what they meant?

Also, this could be the same product as the recently rumoured NAND-based miniature mac?
Also, voice command is a silly idea. Even the best available voice command tech is not very good.

seenew
Jun 15, 2006, 09:54 AM

Ever heard of the monoliths from Arthur C. Clarke's books?
:P
Sorry, I'm a nerd. :(

nagromme
Jun 15, 2006, 09:58 AM
I consider this confirmed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2178811&postcount=94

"None-touch," if real, probably refers to one FEATURE of the new iPod (voice control maybe), rather than something that replaces physical controls.

Electro Funk
Jun 15, 2006, 09:59 AM
Isn't it reassuring that most companies are managed by total idiots?

isnt that always the case? :p

EricNau
What does that Chinese mean? ;)

FleurDuMal

"None-touch," if real, probably refers to one FEATURE of the new iPod (voice control maybe), rather than something that replaces physical controls.

Eugh! I like to talk to people (and animals and plants, if I'm in the mood), not electronic gadgets!

What a waste of time 'voice command' is. I have it on my phone and NEVER use it. Ever.

Electro Funk
Jun 15, 2006, 10:00 AM

to funny.... love the reflection of stevo in the elevator.... lol

jaxstate
Jun 15, 2006, 10:01 AM
I agree.
Eugh! I like to talk to people (and animals and plants, if I'm in the mood), not electronic gadgets!

What a waste of time 'voice command' is. I have it on my phone and NEVER use it. Ever.

Pragmatic67
Jun 15, 2006, 10:02 AM
"None touch" could be a bad translation? How about wireless updating between Mac/PC and iPod?? ie. non-physical contact

jaxstate
Jun 15, 2006, 10:03 AM
Is this some type of joke?:rolleyes:

Chundles
Jun 15, 2006, 10:04 AM
Maybe an inline remote based around a little click wheel - nano sized or a bit smaller?

Chundles
Jun 15, 2006, 10:05 AM

Who sent you the original picture? Does he have a sandal or a gourd we could all follow around?

jaxstate
Jun 15, 2006, 10:05 AM
I would hope it mean some type of WiFi connecton or some other fast speed connection. Because transferring music over bluetooth is way to slow.
"None touch" could be a bad translation? How about wireless updating between Mac/PC and iPod?? ie. non-physical contact
on page 2
"Apple files patent for a reliable real-time transport protocol"

makes u go umm..

anastasis
Jun 15, 2006, 10:07 AM
Perfect timing, after 27 months of faithful service my 3G's LCD just gave out and I will be damned if I am going to spend 80 bucks on a replacement. I will just wiat out the rumors until the next generation shows up.

celebrian23
Jun 15, 2006, 10:08 AM
I hate voice commands. You cann't speak normal- you have to articulate your words more than normal and if you talk fast like I do, you have to slow it down. No thanks I say.

None-touch is obviously not clear because of the language barrier. . If they get rid of physical touching then I won't buy one.

eric67
Jun 15, 2006, 10:09 AM
The new iPod and U2 iPod could easily coexist--especially since the U2 iPod only comes in 30 GB.
the future revision will only concern iPod nano, doubling storage capacity
the iPod "video" will eb updated to a real iPod video later this year before Christmas season.
Do not forget that appel has changed its mind recently regarding the chips that will power this revision ;)

RodThePlod
Jun 15, 2006, 10:10 AM

Hmmm.... that sounds interesting. Good observation ;)

I think this is definitely a possibility!

RodC
--
www.expodition.com - for iPod users who love to travel
-----------------------------------------------------
NEW!!! Check out the 2006 World Cup PSS here: http://www.expodition.com/Worldcup_PSS.php

nagromme
Jun 15, 2006, 10:17 AM
I hate voice commands. You cann't speak normal- you have to articulate your words more than normal and if you talk fast like I do, you have to slow it down. No thanks I say.
Agreed--normally--BUT if I could Skip and Pause hands-free while the 'Pod stayed in my pocket, that would often be very nice. I wonder if any kind of useful mic could be incorporated into an earbud without needing to be bulky.

I'm skeptical, but that's the one use I can see.

Re: wireless updating--could be, but you already have to dock to charge, and synching is both automatic and quicker than charging. So wireless synching would not save me any time or steps at all (and in fact might just drain battery).

"Apple files patent for a reliable real-time transport protocol"

makes u go umm..
You must have read it the way I did, with the hyphen in the wrong place :D

"Apple files patent for a reliable real time-transport protocol"

RodThePlod
Jun 15, 2006, 10:17 AM

Exactly!

I'd guess that any new iPod coming now would be the top end model with wireless and enhanced PDA functionality - leaving the lower models intact.

RodC
--
NEW!!! Check out the 2006 World Cup PSS here: http://www.expodition.com/Worldcup_PSS.php

dextertangocci
Jun 15, 2006, 10:21 AM

No, that's too gimicky. Imagine you are in a noisy location, how's the voice recognision going to work then? Unless Apple comes up with the iNoise-cancel-outer, to eliminate any noise arround you by temporarily disabling all soundwaves from reaching you, thereby also avoiding further lawsuits complaining about the damage the iPod causes to your ears, as you won't have to max out the volume to hear your music:D :p :D :p

celebrian23
Jun 15, 2006, 10:22 AM
agreed--normally--BUT if I could Skip and Pause hands-free while the 'Pod stayed in my pocket, that would often be very nice. I wonder if any kind of useful mic could be incorporated into an earbud without needing to be bulky.

I'm skeptical, but that's the one use I can see.

That's a good point. I like to listen to my ipod at night in bed and ilt would be nice to use voice commands- I just don't know if the technology is there to make this feature as user-friendly as possible. The earbud idea would be pretty cool- again if the technology can make it user-friendly now.

dextertangocci
Jun 15, 2006, 10:22 AM

And nano:)

LtCarter47
Jun 15, 2006, 10:25 AM
Exactly!

I'd guess that any new iPod coming now would be the top end model with wireless and enhanced PDA functionality - leaving the lower models intact.

Sweet! I've been looking for a way to replace my palm lately! I could upgrade my iPod and ditch the Palm at the same time, and syncing would obviously be tighter with the OS.....time to start saving.....

notjustjay
Jun 15, 2006, 10:25 AM

Not necessarily. I remember working a few years back at a telecom company whose flagship product contained a voice recognition auto-attendant. One feature was you could log into your voice mail by speaking. It was actually kind of ironic because the instructions said to enunciate your phone number clearly and slowly, using about one number per second ("six... one.. three..") But whenever I tried to do this it would interrupt me and say "I'm sorry, I didn't get that. Please, try again." It took me a while to realize that I was actually supposed to rattle off my phone number at a conversational pace. THAT it could understand.

We also had voice dialing. Which worked great... sometimes. I can just imagine that technology applied to a voice controlled iPod:

"iPod, next song please."
"I heard, Black Eyed Peas, is that correct?"
"No!"
"Please restate your command."
"Volume down."
"I heard, System of a Down, is that correct?"
"Aaargh!"
"Please say 'yes', or 'no'...."

Hey, maybe this is what the Newton engineers have been re-assigned to? :D

RodThePlod
Jun 15, 2006, 10:31 AM

:eek:

Oy!!!! Leave those Newton engineers alone!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - my MP2K is still going strong now!! and it's almost ten years old :D

Man - those Newton folk were waaaaaay ahead of their time...

RodC
--

slffl
Man this 'true' video ipod is the stupidest thing I've heard. Just because the screen isn't 4" doesn't make it a fake video ipod. And yes I know it's not just macrumors that use this term.

aricher

I use the voice command feature on my cell every day while I'm driving. Much better than having to take my eyes off the road to scroll through numbers that I don't have set as speed dials. Personally I would love having a voice option on the iPod - much safer than scrolling through tracks while driving.

Chundles
Jun 15, 2006, 10:40 AM
Not necessarily. I remember working a few years back at a telecom company whose flagship product contained a voice recognition auto-attendant. One feature was you could log into your voice mail by speaking. It was actually kind of ironic because the instructions said to enunciate your phone number clearly and slowly, using about one number per second ("six... one.. three..") But whenever I tried to do this it would interrupt me and say "I'm sorry, I didn't get that. Please, try again." It took me a while to realize that I was actually supposed to rattle off my phone number at a conversational pace. THAT it could understand.

We also had voice dialing. Which worked great... sometimes. I can just imagine that technology applied to a voice controlled iPod:

"iPod, next song please."
"I heard, Black Eyed Peas, is that correct?"
"No!"
"Please restate your command."
"Volume down."
"I heard, System of a Down, is that correct?"
"Aaargh!"
"Please say 'yes', or 'no'...."

Heh, reminds me of trying to talk to "Melanie" on Rogers to recharge my mobile phone credit. Could've taken 2 seconds by just pressing the buttons corresponding to the numbers on the recharge card but noooo.... You have to tell her the numbers slowly and clearly...oh, and in a high-pitched Canadian accent. Try doing that when you have even my very soft Aussie accent. I just used to talk crap until they put me onto an operator. So annoying and far more annoying than pushing a button.

My last post disappeared into the strangeness that is stalking these forums but I think they could be basing an inline remote for control around a small nano-sized click wheel.

Evan_11
I see a voice activated iPod being targeted at the excercise market much like the Nike + iPod promotion. Runners could care less about sound quality so a bluetooth headset would work. Just make it light weight, stylish and functional.

conditionals
Maybe it will ship covered in acid.

jaxstate
Jun 15, 2006, 10:41 AM
HA, I surely did:) .

You must have read it the way I did, with the hyphen in the wrong place :D

"Apple files patent for a reliable real time-transport protocol"

kresh
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Update: A recent Apple patent describing an audio interface for the iPod could be related to the "none-touch" concept. Patent described at Macsimum. (http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apple_files_patent_for_an_audio_interface_for_the_ipod/)

I wonder if this will sidestep the suit brought on by Creative. Apple changes interface thus defeating Creatives attempt to stop iPods being sold in the US.

Apple keeps pressure with their countersuit, keeping Creative in a defensive posture (like Creative was ever really on offense).

hmm. interesting.

macaddict06
Clearly, this is an indication that bio-implantable iPods are coming. It makes sense since the Chinese are rolling out BMEs like crazy, and we have iPods that we don't want to have to look at. Knowing Apple, the surgery will be good, but the clear case will be $99...and not as good as other ones :)
Seriously, I don't think this means anything. For one, the guy's ship is damaged after (during) the Foxconn employee bit, and so he is likely to say things that will make them more reputable - they know Steve won't agree or disagree on anything regarding future iPod developments. Second, the translation makes no sense, really. Just because it's in Chinese does not mean that the translation can't make sense. They can do a lot better with the translation (although I would have to agree that the second time he said it, it wasn't exactly the same, so maybe the video of the guy saying it is a fake...:D

treblah
Jun 15, 2006, 10:44 AM
I wonder if this will sidestep the suit brought on by Creative. Apple changes interface thus defeating Creatives attempt to stop iPods being sold in the US.

You may be on to something. If the supposed timeline is to be believed, Apple could be in some hot water.

chrismccorkle
Jun 15, 2006, 10:46 AM
Why not? (http://www.neurosky.com/) :rolleyes:

http://www.neurosky.com/images/image_01.jpg

Wow. Nice concept image.
Not.

ITR 81
Jun 15, 2006, 10:49 AM
bluetooth remote controlled iPod.

Very none-touch.(your just using the remote)

I figured touch screen would come into effect..but who knows.

Sharewaredemon
Jun 15, 2006, 10:49 AM
Whoever made that "fake iPod" elevator pic is a genius.

That's like two or three different "leaked" apple product photo concepts put together.

ITR 81
Jun 15, 2006, 10:50 AM

Apple keeps pressure with their countersuit, keeping Creative in a defensive posture (like Creative was ever really on offense).

hmm. interesting.

I'm just waiting for Creative to fold up shop or Apple to buy them out.

wronski
Jun 15, 2006, 10:50 AM
Man this 'true' video ipod is the stupidest thing I've heard. Just because the screen isn't 4" doesn't make it a fake video ipod. And yes I know it's not just macrumors that use this term.

How about... 'good' video iPod or 'nicely sized' video iPod? :p

Cobrien
Jun 15, 2006, 10:56 AM
Whats the biggest competition for iPods right now. Mobile phones. They have technology called A2DP which allows bluetooth headphones.

In order to keep up with this Apple may have created an iPod with A2DP so that u can listen to music wirelessly an stream music wirelessly.

Just a thought.

dicklacara
Jun 15, 2006, 10:56 AM

iClapper!

nagromme
Jun 15, 2006, 10:57 AM
I think what people mean is an iPod dedicated to video first, and costing more as a result, and being marketed as a video player--rather than an iPod dedicated to music first and foremost while video is just a freebie extra. (But that approach was a very smart way for Apple to test the market without risking a video iPod selling low--and being called a failure.)

A bigger screen would certainly be the factor that made it more like other "video players" and less like a traditional iPod.

Whoever made that "fake iPod" elevator pic is a genius.

That's like two or three different "leaked" apple product photo concepts put together.
My little tribute to my favorite kind of Mac hoax: the elevator photo. A timeless tradition. "This Way!"

someguy
Jun 15, 2006, 10:57 AM
hmmmm - touch screen interface
What part of "none-touch" don't you understand? ;)

Bad Beaver
Jun 15, 2006, 10:59 AM
Well, next Special Edition iPod will be the MC Hammer (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=65080124&s=143441&i=65079469) edition. No doubt about that.

bigandy
Jun 15, 2006, 11:00 AM

yup, that's definately real.

it's an apple product in a lift, it must be legit! :rolleyes:

gugy
Jun 15, 2006, 11:01 AM
Wont happen till Oct...

Heres why..

They just started the iPod with Mac discount

First iPod was in Oct of 2001, Oct 2001 to Oct 2006 is 5 years... They will make a big deal out of it being 5 years!!!! :D

Other side notes.....

Finish all Macs to intel before the new iPod

It makes sense.
I think the new ipod will come the earliest after Summer. not during it.
October seems a good time. August will be big for the Pro Mac towers at WWDC, so Apple focus will be on that, so it makes sense around September/October to see the new Ipod.

milo
Jun 15, 2006, 11:07 AM

So what do you propose calling it instead?

I don't really care what the next gen is, I just hope it's fairly soon. I was about ready to buy a nano, but I get the feeling that we'll likely have an update before too long, and even if it's a capacity boost, I don't want to miss out on it.

Is there any real intel on when an update or at least refresh may happen?

Macnoviz
Jun 15, 2006, 11:19 AM
All the clues are there, there's no more doubt about it:

New Powerbooks on Thuesday !!

corywoolf
Jun 15, 2006, 11:25 AM
http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/paultavner/2004/11/10/manatee2.jpg:rolleyes:

macgeek2005
Jun 15, 2006, 11:25 AM
Could it come out next tuesday?

Chundles
Jun 15, 2006, 11:37 AM
Could it come out next tuesday?

It will come out next Tuesday, I have it on good authority. Trust me, I'm Australian...

macgeek2005
Jun 15, 2006, 11:40 AM
It will come out next Tuesday, I have it on good authority. Trust me, I'm Australian...

No seriously.

Macnoviz
Jun 15, 2006, 11:43 AM
Well, in fact I think they would benefit when they release a new iPod around this time:
1. There isn't a lot of news this time of the year, so a new iPod, especially one with a radically new interface, would certainly be covered well in the media

2. Holiday is coming, and a lot of people want to take their music with them outside, and a new cool iPod would be a goo way to do this

3. Exams will be (almost) done, and students will start coming out again, and younger kids may get something for their good grades, and such

and last but not least: October is just SO far away to wait

celebrian23
Jun 15, 2006, 11:51 AM
Well, in fact I think they would benefit when they release a new iPod around this time:
1. There isn't a lot of news this time of the year, so a new iPod, especially one with a radically new interface, would certainly be covered well in the media

2. Holiday is coming, and a lot of people want to take their music with them outside, and a new cool iPod would be a goo way to do this

3. Exams will be (almost) done, and students will start coming out again, and younger kids may get something for their good grades, and such

and last but not least: October is just SO far away to wait

Lest you forget one thing: holiday season. And by holiday I mean christmas. October is perfect christhas shopping season time. Summer is not.

jTreu
Jun 15, 2006, 11:52 AM
All the clues are there, there's no more doubt about it:

New Powerbooks on Thuesday !!

finally, ive been waiting forever for the G5 Powerbooks:rolleyes:

sixstorm
Jun 15, 2006, 11:54 AM
I'd really like to buy a new iPod this year or next year so I hope they are taking their sweet time by making 6G something amazing. Guess the U2 crap edition iPod is just a stall.

m-dogg
Jun 15, 2006, 11:58 AM
Im not buying it... maybe because the new iPod was supposed to be released in April? Maybe because I just want to see it sooner.

April? According to some random rumor maybe. You could make a case for a new ipod being released anytime if you look hard enough for a rumor to support it.

I like the idea of a voice-control option though. Especially when driving. Here in Connecticut we have a hands-free law for cell phones. While I initally hated it (and still do a little bit), it did make me embrace the voice-dailing option on my phone more than I may have otherwise. And now I like to use that during driving. I always have thought that my iPod is more likely going to get me into a car accident than my cell phone ever will, so I think it would be a nice added feature...

Sharewaredemon
Jun 15, 2006, 12:02 PM
I have to say that this is oddly enough one of the funniest threads in MR I've seen today.

From nagromme elevator photo, to Chundles's Australian authority to Macnoviz's obligitory "new PowerBooks next Tuesday" comment and jTreu's reply...

finally, ive been waiting forever for the G5 Powerbooks

Of course I've been skimming over the boring speculation posts....

:cool:

princealfie
Jun 15, 2006, 12:03 PM
voice recognition, let's hope not. I want a tablet Apple seriously, similar to a huger PDA. :cool:

Chundles
Jun 15, 2006, 12:04 PM
Lest you forget one thing: holiday season. And by holiday I mean christmas. October is perfect christhas shopping season time. Summer is not.

But what if Christmas IS summer???

celebrian23
Jun 15, 2006, 12:08 PM
But what if Christmas IS summer???

If that's true, then it's too late to shop for something that's already in progress, so they might as well wait until summer is over to introduce something fresh ;)

eppel
Jun 15, 2006, 12:10 PM
I know for sure what "non touch" implies.
It's a touch screen interface with sensors which only require you to float maybe a few millimeteres above the screen to be activated. That way your screen won't become messy with fingerprints because you don't actually have to touch it. makes much more sense then voice control. Ar ridiculous idea. I bet my bankacount I'm right.

Play Ultimate
Jun 15, 2006, 12:12 PM

Like they did for Apple's 30th birthday. :rolleyes:

boncellis
Jun 15, 2006, 12:18 PM
It's a touch screen interface with sensors which only require you to float maybe a few millimeteres above the screen to be activated. That way your screen won't become messy with fingerprints because you don't actually have to touch it. makes much more sense then voice control. Ar ridiculous idea. I bet my bankacount I'm right.

This is the same thought I had way back when the "touchscreen" rumors were coming fast and furious(ly). The technology is already there, the early tablet computers would track a cursor without being touched, I imagine control for a scroll wheel would be easily extrapolated from that.

This begs the bigger question though, why would Apple make a "non-touch" control iPod? The only thing I can think of is to have the widescreen for the front of the device.

The other question is, how is it going to be to manage the controls without touching them? My fingers are cramping up just thinking about it.

boncellis
Jun 15, 2006, 12:27 PM
Like they did for Apple's 30th birthday. :rolleyes:

Took the words right out of my mouth. Of course, given Mr. Jobs' RDF, perhaps 30 years isn't as big a deal as, say, 33 years. We could be in for a stunning celebration in 2009.

longofest
Jun 15, 2006, 12:27 PM

I was thinking along the similar lines. Basically a super-sensitive version of the 3G, but of course with the screen across the entire iPod instead of having the actual wheel and buttons.

Problem is, what happens when you put it in your pocket? The heat of your body would play games with it like no other. Would you really want to have to put on the hold switch every time you put it in your pocket?

Macnoviz
Jun 15, 2006, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=eppel]I know for sure what "non touch" implies.
It's a touch screen interface with sensors which only require you to float maybe a few millimeteres above the screen to be activated. That way your screen won't become messy with fingerprints because you don't actually have to touch it. makes much more sense then voice control. Ar ridiculous idea. I bet my bankacount I'm right.[/QUOTE

I don't really think that that is a good solution, because it will be hard to do, and require visual contact with your iPod

Anywho, I don't think should speculate on "non-touch", I would really like to know how he said it exactly.

Chundles
Jun 15, 2006, 12:28 PM
If that's true, then it's too late to shop for something that's already in progress, so they might as well wait until summer is over to introduce something fresh ;)

It's certainly true down here. Christmas is in the middle of summer.

celebrian23
Jun 15, 2006, 12:29 PM
Apple has always catered to Americans first though :) :p

Balli
Jun 15, 2006, 12:40 PM
Maybe the whole "no touch" concept is simpler than people think...

Imagine the front of the new iPods being a screen, and most (if not all) the controls being on the headphones instead instead of the iPod itself.

boncellis
Jun 15, 2006, 12:46 PM
Maybe the whole "no touch" concept is simpler than people think...

Imagine the front of the new iPods being a screen, and most (if not all) the controls being on the headphones instead instead of the iPod itself.

Another possibility--or on the remote that headphones plug into. Sony had this kind of thing going for a while with their Walkman/Discman line, even an RF wireless remote on a few selected products.

Could you plug headphones into an RF remote? That is, transmit the music over RF or would it have to be Bluetooth? Maybe the bt rumors have something to do with this.

mark!
Jun 15, 2006, 12:51 PM
If it's voice command how are people who buy it suppose to use it in class or something? What will they do with the click-wheel?

WE ARE GONNA LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE IDIOTS ARE SCREAMING AT THEIR iPod TO MAKE IT PLAY A SONG!!!!!

ugh. apple's voice recognition SUCKS!

poppe
Jun 15, 2006, 12:54 PM
Another possibility--or on the remote that headphones plug into. Sony had this kind of thing going for a while with their Walkman/Discman line, even an RF wireless remote on a few selected products.

Could you plug headphones into an RF remote? That is, transmit the music over RF or would it have to be Bluetooth? Maybe the bt rumors have something to do with this.

Hopefully not Bluetooth... Bluetooth is a joke and a half... You'd just listen to your music then suddenly it sound like a solar flare, then back, then solar flare.

mark!
Jun 15, 2006, 12:55 PM
I want bluetooth syncing.

Chundles
Jun 15, 2006, 12:59 PM
I want bluetooth syncing.

Too slow for files and stuff, Ultra Wide Band will be the key. Wireless USB protocol, already in use, within 1m you get 480mbps, 110mbps within 3m, very low battery use - like 1% of a AA battery to transfer 1GB.

Squonk
Jun 15, 2006, 12:59 PM
If it's voice command how are people who buy it suppose to use it in class or something? What will they do with the click-wheel?

WE ARE GONNA LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE IDIOTS ARE SCREAMING AT THEIR iPod TO MAKE IT PLAY A SONG!!!!!

ugh. apple's voice recognition SUCKS!

I doubt that this means voice recognition.... What about those of us who like to sing along? It'll never stay on the same track for long. Or will it be like on Star Trek: "iPod, next track please!"

Stop the madness! :mad:

mark!
Jun 15, 2006, 01:00 PM
WELL! I just dont like the cords. haha.

Just give me a new iPod, Apple geeez!

dextertangocci
Jun 15, 2006, 01:03 PM

Why are Apple products always rumoured to be released on Tuesdays?

skeep5
Jun 15, 2006, 01:03 PM

Crank off a blue darter and it switches tracks. Actually i've already had that happen on my nano...

Sharewaredemon
Jun 15, 2006, 01:06 PM

'Cause Apple tends to (or used to tend to) release products on Tuesdays.

I think this is specific to the store.

For example if Apple doesn't have an event planned to release a product, it will likely come out on a Tuesday.

mark!
Jun 15, 2006, 01:06 PM

That's just when they choose to release many things.

EDIT ugh someone beat me.

Jetson
Jun 15, 2006, 01:15 PM
Maybe the new iPod has a holographic interface, like the wrist computer in the animated movie, Final Fantasy.

You simply manipulate photons, so the video screen itself never gets scratched or covered with smudges and boogers :D

nagromme
Jun 15, 2006, 01:16 PM
'Cause Apple tends to (or used to tend to) release products on Tuesdays.
I thought I read somewhere that it's because Apple gets inventory/sales reports on Monday, and then responds on Tuesday, but it always sounded wrong to me--Apple plans these things further ahead than that.

So I'm thinking it's just because they know it's a good time to get press mention throughout the week, yet gives them one workday for everyone's final preparations.

Chundles
Jun 15, 2006, 01:21 PM

Apple used to release their new stuff on Tuesdays but there have been product releases on all sorts of dates in the past year.

Of course Tuesdays at Apple are Wednesdays here so it doesn't make much sense anyway.

chairguru22
Jun 15, 2006, 01:24 PM
the audio interface would work while driving a car, sure. but it better not be the only interface because i dont want to be shouting out orders while in the library or on a plane. besides, this audio interface already exists on my phone so this isnt anything special.

nagromme
Jun 15, 2006, 01:29 PM
I've decided that "no-touch" means it gives you a nasty shock and makes an awful piercing shriek if anything touches it. Fingerprints and scratches are a thing of the past!

Obsidian6
Jun 15, 2006, 01:30 PM
I dont really care if they release a new ipod soon. I just got my 60GB 5th Gen second hand (barely) for a great great price, and it is everything i hoped it would be. I have had every ipod generation thus far ( save for the mini, and the shuffle ) and ive sold them all except for the 4th gen 40GB
( which i might sell ) and the nano.

so even if they do come out with this mind control iPod i wont be in a hurry to get one because thats scary. lol and i dont like implants. well not all implants are terrible... :cool: :D

Macnoviz
Jun 15, 2006, 01:31 PM
What about gyroscopic control? ties in with the Nintendo rumor (Wii controller) although that has nothing to with it.

I'm not creative enough at the moment to really describe how it could work, but maybe you can just make certain moves with "some body part" to control your iPod
Or maybe a Stephen Hawking kinda thing with eye control:D

Anyone out there who could come up with a gyroscopic interface?

Sharewaredemon
Jun 15, 2006, 01:31 PM
I've decided that "no-touch" means it gives you a nasty shock and makes an awful piercing shriek if anything touches it. Fingerprints and scratches are a thing of the past!

conditionals beat you to that idea on page 3!

Maybe it will ship covered in acid.

Macnoviz
Jun 15, 2006, 01:32 PM
Maybe no-touch just means you can't touch them or they'll get scratches...

EDIT: sorry, Nagromme, didn't really read through your post till the end, the scratch joke is yours

mark!
Jun 15, 2006, 01:34 PM
my best friends girlfriend's other boyfriend's dad's friend who works at intel has another friend of the CEO of intel who asked steve jobs what the interface would be and steve jobs said there is a little isight camera that tracks your pupil and when you look at a song for 3 seconds it plays and to navigate you must ... use your pupils. but he said if you stare at a song for 2 seconds it turns the ipod off.

so thats what my best friend told me.

j83com
Jun 15, 2006, 01:34 PM
Crap, I just bought a 60gig video.
I couldn't wait anymore.

bdkennedy1
Jun 15, 2006, 01:35 PM
If any of you had bothered to read the story, Appe filed a patent for a voice-controlled iPod. And if they do come out with a voice controlled iPod it will change the industry. Especially for drivers, deaf and disabled people.

rickag
I can see the commercial for the none touch(aka voice activated) iPod.

Guy in a suit: Play
Hip guy in jeans: repeat

Guy in a suit: back
Hip guy in jeans: forward

Guy in a suit getting agitated: back
Hip guy in jeans frowning: forward

Guy in a suit speaking loudly: back
Hip guy in jeans visibly angry: forward

Guy in a suit: back off you $%#$@%%
Hip guy in jeans: forward

fight ensues

me, I vote no voice activation

Sharewaredemon
when you look at a song for 3 seconds it plays and to navigate you must ... use your pupils. but he said if you stare at a song for 2 seconds it turns the ipod off.

Nice, I like that to play a song you have to look at it longer than to turn it off.

Innovation!

I'll buy one the day it comes out!

;)

mark!
Jun 15, 2006, 01:40 PM
Nice, I like that to play a song you have to look at it longer than to turn it off.

Innovation!

I'll buy one the day it comes out!

;)

:)

slu
Jun 15, 2006, 01:44 PM
If any of you had bothered to read the story, Appe filed a patent for a voice-controlled iPod. And if they do come out with a voice controlled iPod it will change the industry. Especially for drivers, deaf and disabled people.

This is not meant to be negative at all, but deaf people?!? I doubt many deaf people use iPods.

I think voice recognition would be fine as long as you can still manually control the thing.

LACOSTE
Jun 15, 2006, 01:45 PM
balone.... sigh.... then again:

a tilt sensitive iPod? bluetooth remote control? wireless?

Bonte
Jun 15, 2006, 01:50 PM
Too slow for files and stuff, Ultra Wide Band will be the key. Wireless USB protocol, already in use, within 1m you get 480mbps, 110mbps within 3m, very low battery use - like 1% of a AA battery to transfer 1GB.

But not standard on all macs and we need the cord to power up our iPods, BT for continues contacts syncing!?

xUKHCx
Jun 15, 2006, 01:54 PM

i think you mean blind

dburney
Jun 15, 2006, 01:58 PM
While not exactly a voice driven interface, we are starting to see parts of this emerge in the new Nike product for the Nano. If you go through Apple's demo of the unit, it provides voice feedback via the nano through the wireless connection to the device in your shoe. It will fade out a track and tell you how far you've ran or the number of minutes left in your workout, etc. This to me seems to be touched on in the patent almost as much as a voice driven navigation method, no? This would be a voice cue providing information gathered and delivered via the device. Anyone who hasn't checked it out, even if you don't run or excercise, you will definitely be impressed with the way it works.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/run.html

EDIT: I just read down to the bottom of the Macsimum article and it did mention the iPod/Nike product.

mark!
Jun 15, 2006, 02:01 PM

why would deaf people listen to an ipod?

Macnoviz
Jun 15, 2006, 02:04 PM
but deaf people?!? I doubt many deaf people use iPods.

Nice one, Slu, I hadn't noticed that one. Although, if the next iPod will resemble the Macbook, you might feel the rhythm by sensing the heat immited by it, or the vibration of mooing fans

macFanDave
Jun 15, 2006, 02:08 PM
If the recent news about Hon Hai's (FoxConn's) factory conditions are to be believed, one can assume that the "none-touch" interface means that every iPod will come with a Chinese slave laborer who will operate your iPod as you command. Shuffle mode means that the slave get to choose what you hear!

mark!
Jun 15, 2006, 02:12 PM
If the recent news about Hon Hai's (FoxConn's) factory conditions are to be believed, one can assume that the "none-touch" interface means that every iPod will come with a Chinese slave laborer who will operate your iPod as you command. Shuffle mode means that the slave get to choose what you hear!

i dont care what anyone says. thats not funny and unnecessary

Macnoviz
Jun 15, 2006, 02:20 PM

But, then again, most of the posts in this thread are unnecessary.
And I don't think you can really judge the humor level of a post, I personally think that was a nice combination, although some people might find it inappropriate.

kresh
Jun 15, 2006, 02:24 PM

hehe, that is too funny :) Some will prolly be put off by it a bit. They are to serious anyway.

mark!
Jun 15, 2006, 02:24 PM
But, then again, most of the posts in this thread are unnecessary.
And I don't think you can really judge the humor level of a post, I personally think that was a nice combination, although some people might find it inappropriate.

i dont care what anyone says. thats not funny and unnecessary.

dizastor
Jun 15, 2006, 02:41 PM

I think the reason for clarification is that several media sites call the 5g ipod the "video iPod". When it was announced, Apple made it clear that it was just "an iPod that happened to play video". Simply an added feature, just like when they added a calender it wasn't called the "calender iPod".

This also leads us to believe that the iTMS video sales and "iPod + video 5g" are test products for the mythical built for video iPod, presumable whose name might reflect it's higher calling.

It's not really a reason to get bent out of shape, if you have a 5g with video then love your video iPod and call it whatever you want. It's easier to say 'true' video iPod than "Upcoming iPod reportedly designed from the ground up to be a video player"

Deep breath. Ahh, that feels better... doesn't it?

Kirkmedia
Jun 15, 2006, 02:43 PM
It would be great if the ipod worked like my Blue tooth headset and Mobile phone. A blue tooth IPOD with voice recognition would be great in the car, riding a bike, jogging etc...I believe this is in Ipod's not to distant future.

morespce54
Jun 15, 2006, 02:53 PM

:rolleyes:

But isn't it happening already? :eek:
Sometimes, I swear it feels like it! I'm thinking of a good song I would like to listen next and... bang! :D

(Okay, I'm making good playlists too) ;) ;) :D

Macnoviz
Jun 15, 2006, 02:53 PM
It would be great if the ipod worked like my Blue tooth headset and Mobile phone. A blue tooth IPOD with voice recognition would be great in the car, riding a bike, jogging etc...I believe this is in Ipod's not to distant future.

Isn't bluetooth data rate too small for decent (stereo) sound, especially with two-way communication (voice recognition) and what will it do with the battery life? And I even wih a good quality, I couldn't stand listening to music with one ear.

Macnoviz
Jun 15, 2006, 03:05 PM
But isn't it happening already? :eek:
Sometimes, I swear it feels like it! I'm thinking of a good song I would like to listen next and... bang! :D

(Okay, I'm making good playlists too) ;) ;) :D
I had the same thing with my first iPod: the Shuffle, my library had just started, and I had about forty songs on my Shuffle. One time, I just wanted the next song to be a certain one, and it was. I felt lucky, and thought about another one. Again it was that song. I gave it one more try and it worked for the third time, that was the moment I fell in love with Apple.

And now an insider for viewers of the Fast Show, the best British Comedy Series since Shakespeare:

So, I know this guy from Flanders, right?, and he got himself one of them Shuffles, right, so he heard a rumor that they read your mind, so he thought he'd give it try, so he said to me (I can't do the accent) "I want you to put 200 songs on this iPod, and then add Greensleaves in the playlist" So, I did it, and I put Greensleaves somewhere in the middle of the playlist. He took the iPod, and set it to Shuffle. He listened to it, right, to hear if it was in fact Greensleaves playing.
And was it Greensleaves?...
Was it F...

Kirkmedia
Jun 15, 2006, 03:06 PM
Isn't bluetooth data rate too small for decent (stereo) sound, especially with two-way communication (voice recognition) and what will it do with the battery life? And I even wih a good quality, I couldn't stand listening to music with one ear.
Maybe it's not going to be bluetooth but a new technology. Maybe apple will
make special wireless headphones.

Jun 15, 2006, 03:31 PM

hahaha Hilarious!!! :D

nemaslov
Jun 15, 2006, 03:41 PM
what. it's been a year and a half or more since the 60GB. I would love an 80 or 100GB. I skipped the 5G since it was still only and 60. I couldn't care less for video use, just lots and lots of music.:D

4np
Jun 15, 2006, 04:01 PM
Everybody is speculating about 'voice control', which of course would be nice, but I think it would be more realistic the sensor-driven control will be expanded. Take a look at the Apple-Nike product line; being able to adjust the speed of a song to keep the same pace as you are running. Things like that... control through sensors in you shoes; in your gloves; whatever...

aswitcher
Jun 15, 2006, 04:06 PM
No touch sounds like a new Shuffle to me...

hellodon
Jun 15, 2006, 04:14 PM
'none touch' none make sense

all i know is this "soon" part better be true. i've been holding out for a while to get an upgraded model.

NONE TOUCH!

gauriemma
Jun 15, 2006, 04:29 PM

Great. Because THAT'S what I want to do...yell at my iPod on the subway every morning. And every time a new stop is announced over the loudspeaker, my iPod will frantically look for that song. That could make for a really long commute...

4np
Jun 15, 2006, 04:55 PM
Also, it appears that iPods have become a little bit cheaper in the apple store. To be more specific:

iPod nano is currently starting at EUR 149,- (was EUR 159,-)
iPod Shuffle is starting at EUR 69,- (was EUR 79,-)

hrmpf
Jun 15, 2006, 06:58 PM
Update: A recent Apple patent describing an audio interface for the iPod could be related to the "none-touch" concept. Patent described at Macsimum.

the patent doesn't talk about a voice recognition system for iPods- it is merely a voice feedback system- have a look at the patent application or at hrmpf.com (http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/75/a-voice-menu-system-for-ipods-iphone/)

ezekielrage_99
Jun 15, 2006, 08:45 PM
Maybe None Touch refers to the technology of not getting the iPod scratched...... you don't touch it and it doesn't screw up the screen ;)

But seriously I glad to here there's a new iPod being released because my old 20GB G2 iPod died a few weeks ago and I have been iPodless.

I've tried filling that empty void in my life with family, friends and religion but I do think and nice new G6 iPod will do the trick :D

bobdgil
Jun 15, 2006, 10:39 PM
the patent doesn't talk about a voice recognition system for iPods- it is merely a voice feedback system- have a look at the patent application or at hrmpf.com (http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/75/a-voice-menu-system-for-ipods-iphone/)

So very true. Seems that when they said it could be related to the none-touch idea, they really meant it's virtually irrelevant. The patent is for a computer generating a sound file from text so that your iPod or whatever can tell you what you're selecting (so you don't have to look at it), not voice-recognition. It's an interesting idea, but I doubt it's relevant to this discussion. It's more like a none-look than a none-touch idea.

Mal
Jun 16, 2006, 12:42 AM
Whoever said that "none-touch" probably referred to either a wireless sync or to an optional voice-command system, I hope you're both right. I'd hate to lose the scroll wheel, even if it has to become virtual for a full-screen iPod, but I'd love to lose to wire (though I guess it'd have to remain as an option unless they included the adaptor, which could be expensive, since Bluetooth isn't really an option for something like that).

jW

Macnoviz
Jun 16, 2006, 12:46 AM
Gee "Skywalker" I bet you are a Mac "fanboy" - anything and everything Apple does is correct, right? I know you can't help but fantasize about having sexual relations with Steve Jobs, but you might want to take your sexual frustrations elsewhere before you become too uptight...

I would have to agree with Skywalker, Kev, this has nothing to do with favoring or not favoring Apple, but simply about misplaced comments. Some people may find it funny, although I doubt it, I think it was just space spoiled on this forum by being neither relevant nor funny. Please, do spend some more time on these forums before judging like that

EDIT: during this post, the posts I responded too were deleted

Mal
Jun 16, 2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the defense, Macnoviz. Now could you please edit the quote out so no one has to be tortured by that post anymore? I learned long ago that trolls need to be reported and ignored. They cause far less damage than if you respond to them so they have more fodder.

jW

sisyphus
Jun 16, 2006, 01:29 AM

I'm sorry am I the only one who would feel stupid talking to an inanimate object (besides swearing at the PCs at work... different story).

I can just imagine sitting on a bus having a difficult time deciding what song I feel like that day while people think I'm on the phone...

"Oh Pretty Woman"
"Kiss me"
"Ooh la la"
"If you could read my mind"
"Gonna make you sweat"
"Whip it"
"Down Under"
"Don't stop"
"Hurts so good"
"You might think"
"It's a sin"
"I do"
"In the navy"
"I did it for love"
"Would I lie to you?"
"Have I told you lately"
"A boy named Sue"
"Tempted"
"My Happy Ending"
"Why can't he be you"
"What have I done to deserve this?"
"Enough is enough"
"Evil Woman"

:eek: :eek: :D

By the way, those are all good songs.:)

glowingstar
Jun 16, 2006, 03:01 AM
man.....how cool if apple came up with a "nintendo ds killer" as its next ipod! :cool:

knackroller
Jun 16, 2006, 04:09 AM
I've used the pocket pc phone (with media player). This is completely touch screen and I have to say, it doesn't work that well without the tactile feedback..............

Macnoviz
Jun 16, 2006, 07:59 AM
Looks like Wired is going for the gyroscope

http://blog.wired.com/music/index.blog?entry_id=1503436

That would be my bet, too, maybe with a remote motion controller

billchase2
Jun 16, 2006, 08:53 AM
Looks like Wired is going for the gyroscope

http://blog.wired.com/music/index.blog?entry_id=1503436

That would be my bet, too, maybe with a remote motion controller
but why would you really want to tilt the thing to control it? especially if you have it in your pocket or in an arm strap? it just wouldn't be logical. if you had a motion sensored controller for it... that's just another item to get lost, broken, and hold on to.

i think i'd believe the voice recognition before this. but who knows...

Chris Bangle
Jun 16, 2006, 10:12 AM
Why does U2 only come in 30gb? Why has there not been a major ipod revamp since november and why are the shuffles old enough to be classed as ancient? Come Apple just relase the damn things. I want touchscreen or NONE TOUCH soon. Someone just bust themselves into the hon hai factory and find out.

Cobrien
Jun 16, 2006, 10:34 AM
What if on the earphones there is a smal remote like for the iPod hi-fi. I know it doesnt have a click-wheel and is probably too small to have one, but I dont think that there will be a motion sensitive iPod or a voice controlled one.

Macnoviz
Jun 16, 2006, 11:44 AM
What if on the earphones there is a smal remote like for the iPod hi-fi. I know it doesnt have a click-wheel and is probably too small to have one, but I dont think that there will be a motion sensitive iPod or a voice controlled one.

You may have a good idea, there, maybe they can implement the system of the JBL Creature two speakers, where you just have to touch the buttons to control them.
They could build in the Shuffle system to control your music playback. touch top of right headphone for volume up, bottom for down (tap for one unit, hold for constant decrease) left and right for numbers, and tap the middle to play/pause. This would mean a slightly larger headphone, although not too much different from now. Maybe it will look a bit silly in the beginning, but I guess talking to yourself or moving aroud with your iPod looks equally if not more silly.

stllr
Jun 16, 2006, 06:20 PM
none touch. wth. I really hope its not motion sensor (how, exactly, would that work? and what would be the point..) or voice controlled (very inconvenient.. lol ) as suggested. Personally I quite like the look of the fullscreen video ipods with touchscreen, so hoping that "none-touch" here doesnt mean to dispell the rumors. though I think it was probably just a screw up in translation or something.

chris200x9
Jun 16, 2006, 06:31 PM
personally I think an E.S.P ipod would be cool :D

derekreid
Jun 16, 2006, 11:29 PM
Apple just started offering free iPod nanos to college students with purchase of a computer. Same deal as last year with the minis, just before the introduction of the next generation replacements. Time to make space for next generation again?

sam10685
Jun 17, 2006, 07:28 AM
none touch? that's great. hope it's not voice activated.

MacStarPro
Jun 19, 2006, 08:10 PM
Bet it would look hot... in something as hot and white as this! (http://spungle.blogspot.com/2006/06/booq-binaco-verdict-white-hot.html) :)

During Hon Hai's annual meeting (http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/detail.asp?GRP=E&id=84130), Chairman Terry Gou made a startling, albeit brief revelation about Apple's iPod plans.

Hon Hai manufacturers Apple's iPods among other things. It is unclear what exactly "about to unveil" means, as the rest of the ChinaPost article discusses financial issues up to 5 years out. Also unclear is what exactly Gou meant by a "none-touch" concept, and whether his "next generation iPod" comments were in reference to a 6G iPod (a supposed incremental upgrade of the 5G) or to the rumored 'true' video iPod, or to another iPod model (Nano, Shuffle).

Hon Hai has recently received negative press regarding its iPod factory conditions (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/06/20060614153017.shtml), and it too soon to know how Apple's investigation into the matter will affect Hon Hai's contract to produce Apple's hardware.

thejadedmonkey
Jun 19, 2006, 08:29 PM
personally I think an E.S.P ipod would be cool :D
I'd be happy with a 4G design, lighted buttons though, and a built-in radio.

ezekielrage_99
Jun 19, 2006, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry am I the only one who would feel stupid talking to an inanimate object (besides swearing at the PCs at work... different story).

I can just imagine sitting on a bus having a difficult time deciding what song I feel like that day while people think I'm on the phone...

"Oh Pretty Woman"
"Kiss me"
"Ooh la la"
"If you could read my mind"
"Gonna make you sweat"
"Whip it"
"Down Under"
"Don't stop"
"Hurts so good"
"You might think"
"It's a sin"
"I do"
"In the navy"
"I did it for love"
"Would I lie to you?"
"Have I told you lately"
"A boy named Sue"
"Tempted"
"My Happy Ending"
"Why can't he be you"
"What have I done to deserve this?"
"Enough is enough"
"Evil Woman"

:eek: :eek: :D

By the way, those are all good songs.:)

Still you would look kind of retarded talking/singing to you iPod........

billchase2
Jun 20, 2006, 08:59 AM
I'd be happy with a 4G design, lighted buttons though, and a built-in radio.
apparently a lot of people disagree with this, but i'd totally love for them to add a radio to it. yes, i know radios in mp3 players aren't the greatest... but they're handy. heck, what if there is severe weather and you're stuck somewhere and all you have is your ipod? turn on the radio and you can find out what's going on...

it'd just be a handy addition, if you ask me.

funkylovebunny
Jun 22, 2006, 10:26 AM
I cant beleive that no one here has put 2 and 2.

"No touch" doesnt mean a super sensitive display that you can float your fingers across. what it refers to is the apple patent that they were working on that allows a display to also sense, refering to pixels that not only omit light but also sense it. Imagine an ipod that is kind of like one of those flat canon LIDE scaners that emit a thin beam of light to scan your image. Now imagine that those things were scattered amonst the display pixels or below them & able to see thru the emiting display and cover the whole surface area not just a thin "beam". This would mean that all parts of the screen would be able to control the ipod and without touching it "No touch"

You heard it here first!

My second prediction is that this will enable a type of scanning feature that is enabled on japanese phones for you to purchase stuff. "you will see a black and white pixelated image that when you place against the ipod is recognised. It may enable you to purchase music you see in a magazine for eg. or atleast rember it untill you get home so you can purchase it from itunes

This would open the futer of ipods up to "electronic wallet applications. But my guess is that they will hold that feature back untill the "macphone" or "mphone" (i dont think it will be iphone as they seem to be moving away from the i thing) is released.

My second prediction is that "ilife 06" will change to "maclife 07" to reinforce that you can only do all this stuff on a mac. The problem with the "i" phenominen is that its to easily owned without royalty to apple for anyone who wants to associate themselves with the prestige of apple. By apple prefixing all of thier products with mac it means that no one else can prefix a product with mac without infringing tradmark. eg you couldn't just make a harddrive and call it "macdrive" but you could call it "idrive"

MacBook (ibook), Macbook Pro(powerbook), Mac (imac), Mac pro (powermac), minimac or macmini, MacEd (emac), MacServe(er), Mac Life (ilife) etc etc etc

Apple will atlast be able to escape its own success with the istuff and move forward and reclaim its brand identity without having it muddled with all the other inferior istuff (as well as earn a few extra royalties)

Lets wait to see how well my first post went. I've read this forum for years. so yeah im a bit lazy.

Nice to meet you all :)

billchase2
Jun 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
oo, good predictions there. i was talking to a co-worker about it the other day and we were wondering if it would end up being some sort of technology where you put your finger close to the screen, but don't actually touch it. it sounds like that could possibly be on the right course...

Macnoviz
Jun 22, 2006, 03:53 PM
I cant beleive that no one here has put 2 and 2.

"No touch" doesnt mean a super sensitive display that you can float your fingers across. what it refers to is the apple patent that they were working on that allows a display to also sense, refering to pixels that not only omit light but also sense it. Imagine an ipod that is kind of like one of those flat canon LIDE scaners that emit a thin beam of light to scan your image. Now imagine that those things were scattered amonst the display pixels or below them & able to see thru the emiting display and cover the whole surface area not just a thin "beam". This would mean that all parts of the screen would be able to control the ipod and without touching it "No touch"

You heard it here first!

My second prediction is that this will enable a type of scanning feature that is enabled on japanese phones for you to purchase stuff. "you will see a black and white pixelated image that when you place against the ipod is recognised. It may enable you to purchase music you see in a magazine for eg. or atleast rember it untill you get home so you can purchase it from itunes

This would open the futer of ipods up to "electronic wallet applications. But my guess is that they will hold that feature back untill the "macphone" or "mphone" (i dont think it will be iphone as they seem to be moving away from the i thing) is released.

Not sure about the invasion of Mac-, but I do like the scan theory, it is rather remarkable that no-one brought up that rumor yet. So that would mean a multi-touch display+scanning functions on the next gen iPod?

I still think it's not the best way to interpret none-touch, since you have to (nearly) touch your iPod for everything.
One more remark, I doubt if Apple would release a new technology directly into their flagship model, as the risk would be too high, and I agree that we may have to wait for the iPhone to see such technology.

Counter
Jun 22, 2006, 04:11 PM
I don't want to have to shout at my iPod in the street to get it to play.

7on
Jun 22, 2006, 04:22 PM
My second prediction is that "ilife 06" will change to "maclife 07" to reinforce that you can only do all this stuff on a mac. The problem with the "i" phenominen is that its to easily owned without royalty to apple for anyone who wants to associate themselves with the prestige of apple. By apple prefixing all of thier products with mac it means that no one else can prefix a product with mac without infringing tradmark. eg you couldn't just make a harddrive and call it "macdrive" but you could call it "idrive"

The funny thing is that there is already a 3rd party product called "MacDrive" and "iDisk" is trademarked under Apple for their .Mac disk drive.

:p

doublem9876
Jun 22, 2006, 11:42 PM
oo, good predictions there. i was talking to a co-worker about it the other day and we were wondering if it would end up being some sort of technology where you put your finger close to the screen, but don't actually touch it. it sounds like that could possibly be on the right course...
I dunno. That sounds more like an inconvenience to me.

ryanide
Jun 23, 2006, 02:15 AM
Records TV programming and views TivoToGo content- Cool!

http://doghouse.bz/

JackSYi
Jun 23, 2006, 04:05 AM
I really wish Apple would use the same matte coating for the black version as the new MacBooks.

billchase2
Jun 23, 2006, 09:05 AM
I dunno. That sounds more like an inconvenience to me.
but... if it were something like that, then you wouldn't have to worry about the scratching and smudging of the touch screen concept. you'd just kind of point at what you wanted instead.

Macnoviz
Jun 23, 2006, 09:46 AM
but... if it were something like that, then you wouldn't have to worry about the scratching and smudging of the touch screen concept. you'd just kind of point at what you wanted instead.

I don't agree: you will certainly touch the screen some times, and I think most scratches were caused when not touching the screen.
I can imagine it's not that simple too, keeping the right distance between your finger and the screen (just try it with a plain surface)

killr_b
Jun 23, 2006, 02:16 PM

I think you're a little too serious to be in a speculative discussion on a nonsensical concept.

I laughed... you should try it sometime.

/doesn't support slave labor
//doesn't judge others
///slashie slashhie!

Killyp
Jun 23, 2006, 04:11 PM
I hate pointless technology like that which has no form of feedback and no real advantage. It's just a disadvantage if anything, the damn thing would start doing odd stuff as soon as dust starts collecting on it...

Macnoviz
Jun 25, 2006, 05:56 AM
I hate pointless technology like that which has no form of feedback and no real advantage. It's just a disadvantage if anything, the damn thing would start doing odd stuff as soon as dust starts collecting on it...

Maybe we need to rethink our views on what they really mean. I haven't read a lot about the introduction of the clickwheel, after the scrollwheel w/ 4 button technology, but maybe, if someone had said them the next generation iPod would use buttons under the scrollwheel, people would have started freaking out about just wanting to scroll and accidentaly clicking a button, or about problems with pressing the wrong buttons, or not enough feedback as the buttons would be virtually invisible.
i don't know if this is similar, but I have faith in the Apple designers, they rarely let us down, (maybe in a few products, like the hockey puck mouse or Cube) and may I once remind us all to thread 500, maybe none-touch will be the biggest innovation since the scroll wheel, who knows? I bet Steve does.

dongmin
Jun 25, 2006, 12:14 PM
Records TV programming and views TivoToGo content- Cool!

http://doghouse.bz/Interesting. The widescreen seems like the logical choice for a video ipod:

• 4 inch Samsung TFT Screen
• Video resolution 480 x 272

aswitcher
Jun 25, 2006, 05:16 PM
Interesting. The widescreen seems like the logical choice for a video ipod:

4 inch Samsung TFT Screen
Video resolution 480 x 272

It does seem like agood prospect but then if Apple were doing a deal with Samsung you would think they wouldn't allow Samsung to compete like this.

I hope the res is at least 640x480

Macnoviz
Jun 26, 2006, 05:42 AM
It does seem like agood prospect but then if Apple were doing a deal with Samsung you would think they wouldn't allow Samsung to compete like this.

I hope the res is at least 640x480
That would be especially good for exporting from iPod to TV, isn't 640*480 normal broadcast resolution? The current videos are really too small to view in full screen.

I don't know if it would matter that much on a 4 inch screen

aswitcher
Jun 26, 2006, 08:21 AM
That would be especially good for exporting from iPod to TV, isn't 640*480 normal broadcast resolution? The current videos are really too small to view in full screen.

I don't know if it would matter that much on a 4 inch screen

Almost broadcast...Pal though is 576i

dongmin
Jun 27, 2006, 03:00 AM

I don't know if it would matter that much on a 4 inch screenThree points:

1. 640 x 480 is NOT widescreen. If this vPod is geared towards movies, it should be widescreen; if it's for TV shows, then yeah 4:3.

2. The Sony PSP has a 480 x 272 resolution on a 4.3" screen.

3. 640 x 480 would be overkill for a 4" screen (which fits the current iPod form factor). Plus, 620 x 480 would take up a lot more disk space.

princealfie
Jun 30, 2006, 12:04 PM
please just give me a bigger screen :D

OdduWon
Jul 4, 2006, 10:06 PM
i think it would be cool if the new ipod had a sliding screen that would slide over reveling the click wheel in the base under the screen. then you could have a fingerprint free screen and still maximise the viewing area

Viking Quest
Jul 5, 2006, 04:26 PM
i think it would be cool if the new ipod had a sliding screen that would slide over reveling the click wheel in the base under the screen. then you could have a fingerprint free screen and still maximise the viewing area

Very good idea!

3CCD
Jul 6, 2006, 11:03 AM
I would think that a widescreen display would be a wonderful route but again it would change the physical size of the iPod. With HD on the horizon it is native 16:9 so who knows what Apple might do. I think the current iPods are awesome. Can only imagine what is to come.

playaj82
Jul 6, 2006, 02:06 PM
Three points:

1. 640 x 480 is NOT widescreen. If this vPod is geared towards movies, it should be widescreen; if it's for TV shows, then yeah 4:3.

3. 640 x 480 would be overkill for a 4" screen (which fits the current iPod form factor). Plus, 620 x 480 would take up a lot more disk space.

640 x 480 might be overkill, but what if the iPod was able to scale down higher resolution video for display on the iPod.

I wish I could carry high res videos on my iPod just for purposes of hooking it up to a television.

On Comment 3 - Disk space is all relative. Give me options. If I want to carry around fewer high res vids, I should have that option.

Evangelion
Jul 7, 2006, 05:37 AM

It doesn't quite work that way. Apple has made deals with MS, and they still compete. Intel and AMD have made deals, and they compete.

Evangelion
Jul 7, 2006, 05:41 AM
Three points:

The Nokia 770 Internet Tablet (which I own and love) has a 4.13" screen with resolution of 800x480. That would do quite nicely indeed :).

wrxsti86
Jul 8, 2006, 08:57 AM
It better be lightning proved

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_4016385#

vendettabass
Jul 8, 2006, 09:09 AM
any idea when the new ipod will be around? My nano just broke and I need something to keep me sane at work, and I think this new pod will be the one.

This tuesday? next tuesday?

abeyk
Jul 11, 2006, 09:22 PM
any idea when the new ipod will be around? My nano just broke and I need something to keep me sane at work, and I think this new pod will be the one.

Maibe in october :(

ezekielrage_99
Jul 25, 2006, 11:41 PM
I don't want to have to shout at my iPod in the street to get it to play.

I shout at my iPod when it's not working ;)

ezekielrage_99
Jul 25, 2006, 11:59 PM

I'm hoping August..... fingers crossed :cool:

GW3
Aug 4, 2006, 09:11 PM
If Im not mistaken every KeyNote from Steve Jobs, whether at WWDC, MacWorld or any other event from Apple has been on tuesdays. Why is this one DIFFERENT. Could we see a Movie Store on Tuesday ???????