PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Games (What I've tried)

Pages : [1] 2

Virtualball
Jun 18, 2006, 02:46 PM
Hey, I know people have been wanting to know about games on a macbook, and I have seen threads with games already being talked about bu heres my list:

ALL GAMES ON FULL SCREEN

Windows:

Counterstrike Source runs well
Half Life 1.1.1.0 runs well (I actually got 95 fps!)
Sim City 4 Deluxe runs well
The Sims and Sims 2 run well
Half Life 2 runs choppy
Battlefield 2 runs well
Age of Mythology and Age of Empires 2 runs well

Mac:

Halo runs well (full screen, highest settings, a little choppy here and there)

Thats all the games I played so far, if anyone wants requests.

I Plan On Testing:

The Simpsons Hit and Run
Civilization 3 (Mac)

BTW I have the $1099 model. And all I can say is that games on the MacBook actually run very wel, much better then I expected. Oh and first post! :)

arj7297
Jun 19, 2006, 07:25 AM
How about testing Star Wars Galaxies :)

lewion
Jun 19, 2006, 08:46 AM
Hey, I know people have been wanting to know about games on a macbook, and I have seen threads with games already being talked about bu heres my list:

ALL GAMES ON FULL SCREEN

Windows:

Half Life 2 runs choppy
Battlefield 2 runs well

Mac:

I Plan On Testing:

The Simpsons Hit and Run
Civilization 3 (Mac)

BTW I have the $1099 model. And all I can say is that games on the MacBook actually run very wel, much better then I expected. Oh and first post! :)

Probalbly because of standard ram, try lower your settings...

biohazard6969
Jun 19, 2006, 09:11 AM
unreal tournament 2004 runs like CRAP in OS X (yes i have the UB) even on the lowest settings it is still very choppy

just thought i'd add that one to the list

dextertangocci
Jun 19, 2006, 10:16 AM
If I have the 2Ghz MB, with 2GB of RAM, is DOOM3 playable at all?

justin216
Jun 19, 2006, 10:42 AM
unreal tournament 2004 runs like CRAP in OS X (yes i have the UB) even on the lowest settings it is still very choppy

Odd. The UT2k4 UB runs just fine on my Macbook 1.83/2GB Ram setup. Very acceptable performance (25-48 FPS) with most settings near medium at a decent resolution.

lewion
Jun 19, 2006, 01:42 PM
If I have the 2Ghz MB, with 2GB of RAM, is DOOM3 playable at all?
jup definatly, seen videos of it running on just 512 mb and it was already good... just to give you an idea more ram = more performance :D

Virtualball
Jun 19, 2006, 06:14 PM
Ok, so I should try Star Wars Galaxies?

Oh and I tried Civ 3 for Mac OS X and it runs great! I tried Quake 3 and it didnt run in Windows (something with the drivers) and Wolfenstein in Mac was great too. And lastly, Need for Speed Underground ran smoothe too.

Illpost back when I get the info :)

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 19, 2006, 06:45 PM
Halflife at 95 frames:D Thats very funny. I aint going to touch it.:D

mode
Jun 19, 2006, 09:12 PM
I read that the standard MacBook is very RAM-dependant. Upgrading from the stock 512 to 2GB can double your FPS readouts in many games.

ijimk
Jun 19, 2006, 10:38 PM
how does WoW run? What resolution are most of your games being tested on? Oh and please say what setting s you run WoW with textures please :D

dmw007
Jun 19, 2006, 10:51 PM

ALL GAMES ON FULL SCREEN

Windows:

Half Life 2 runs choppy
Battlefield 2 runs well

Mac:

I Plan On Testing:

The Simpsons Hit and Run
Civilization 3 (Mac)

Nice review of your gaming experience on your MacBook so far. And welcome to MR Virtualball. :)

mulletman13
Jun 19, 2006, 10:53 PM
Seconded! Interested in WoW ... on the Windows side of things :)

dextertangocci
Jun 20, 2006, 10:36 AM
jup definatly, seen videos of it running on just 512 mb and it was already good... just to give you an idea more ram = more performance :D

Thanks!

lewion
Jun 20, 2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks!
No problem... but i insist u get hl2 ep1 as well.. as it runs GREAT!!!

video is on topic with the oblivion post... check those out...

Gabedm
Jun 20, 2006, 11:42 PM
OK I HAVE NO IDEA HOW U GUYS RUN CS-SOURCE WELL BUT
it runs like crap on my 2ghz macbook with 512 ram,
the only maps i can run without about 2fps are fy-maps and very very simple maps,
all stock maps are practically unrunable,
and I could not start the game unless i am running directx 7.0 in the startup options even though i have supposedly 9.0c
i have no idea why but cs 1.6 runs great, ,HL 2 runs very very good, minus the freezeing every autosave

basically i need help
anyone who can help me get this **** running right,
aim= doridorigabe
hit it up
thanks

MacRumorUser
Jun 21, 2006, 04:44 AM
it runs like crap on my 2ghz macbook with 512 ram,

There's your answer. 512 for gaming on Macbook is a joke.
Remember XP can use upto 224mb for the gpu, leaving you very little ram.

You really need 2gb paired with the macbook, to give the gpu a decent boost (paired ran gives an extra 15% boost) and plenty left over for system . That's it. That's your answer......

skipsandwichdx
Jun 21, 2006, 08:59 AM
People need to get in the habit of being a bit more specific than "runs well."

patseguin
Jun 21, 2006, 09:08 AM
WoW runs better than I expected. However, none of the shader options are enabled. Is this because the Intel graphics don't support those options?

Virtualball
Jun 21, 2006, 02:12 PM
WoW runs ok
Simpsons hit and Run runs Great
Every Sim game Ive played runs great (SimCity 4, Sims 2, Sims, SimTheme Park, etc.)

Also, the reason Im testing on a 512 MB RAM is because there ARE perople out there who cant exactly afford the $500 upgrade, me being one of them :P. I mean, before I baught the computer, there was very little threads on gaming on 512 mb. And suprisingly, it isn't half bad!:rolleyes:

I tried to get Star Wars Galaxies but my friend lost his copy, so wait for a few days and I might be able to get it.

Kingsly
Jun 21, 2006, 02:26 PM
Also, the reason Im testing on a 512 MB RAM is because there ARE perople out there who cant exactly afford the $500 upgrade, me being one of them :P.

1GB (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/5300DDR2S1GB/)
or...
2GB (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/53DR2SPAIR2G/)

I use it. It's totally great.

milo
Jun 21, 2006, 02:29 PM
Also, the reason Im testing on a 512 MB RAM is because there ARE perople out there who cant exactly afford the $500 upgrade, me being one of them :P. I mean, before I baught the computer, there was very little threads on gaming on 512 mb. And suprisingly, it isn't half bad!:rolleyes:

Upgrading doesn't cost $500, I went to 2 gig for about $250. 1 gig would probably be plenty for most games, and would be even less.

If any of these run poorly, try them with more ram. I wouldn't try running anything with 512, on any of the intel macs, it cripples the machine.

batman123
Jun 21, 2006, 02:56 PM
Okay, can someone advise, a macbook 2GHz with 2GB RAM...what will this run.

I mean, i wanted to play Battlefields 2 on Windows (Bootcamp) or quake 3/doom3 would these games run smoothly? I am specially interested in CoD2, has anyone tried this with a 2GHz, 2GB RAM macbook??

I am worried because of the 64mb vram...

Any help would be appreciated.

Batman.:D

Ragnaros
Jun 21, 2006, 03:01 PM
WoW runs just fine. I have all of the default settings and it works fantasticly. :D

arj7297
Jun 21, 2006, 03:21 PM
I really appreciate the effort!:)

I'd only play SW:Galaxies and Guild Wars via bootcamp anyway...:)

WoW runs ok
Simpsons hit and Run runs Great
Every Sim game Ive played runs great (SimCity 4, Sims 2, Sims, SimTheme Park, etc.)

I tried to get Star Wars Galaxies but my friend lost his copy, so wait for a few days and I might be able to get it.

Virtualball
Jun 21, 2006, 03:27 PM
Okay, can someone advise, a macbook 2GHz with 2GB RAM...what will this run.

I mean, i wanted to play Battlefields 2 on Windows (Bootcamp) or quake 3/doom3 would these games run smoothly? I am specially interested in CoD2, has anyone tried this with a 2GHz, 2GB RAM macbook??

Batman.:D

Lucky for you, I tried Quake 3 and Battlefields 2! Quake 3 didnt run because of driver issues, its not a mac problem, this problem has been around for a while, and I tried Battlefields 2, it ran great, just a little bit of choppyness, so with 2 GB, it should be fine!

batman123
Jun 21, 2006, 03:34 PM
cool, thanks, so the low vram is nt that much of a problem then? SO what would a better video card/more vram do?

Do you mean quake 3 on xp (bootcamp) doesnt work? Has anybody played Quake 4 on a macbook?

bobber205
Jun 21, 2006, 03:55 PM

What about XP?

xPismo
Jun 21, 2006, 04:06 PM
WoW runs just fine. I have all of the default settings and it works fantasticly. :D

I'd hope so, your sig says your using a MBP 2.0!! :eek: Which is :cool: . These kind of threads really warm my heart I must say. Look ma, were gaming!!

HL2 on a $1000 mac portable?! Wicked wicked wicked.

I can't tell you how much i wan't to play with one of those MB's. They just look perfect for 90% of what I do. Anyway, back to posting your gaming results.

Has anyone tried Halo1:CS on the Windoze side? That would be great to see hauling butt.

Virtualball
Jun 21, 2006, 07:06 PM
I'd hope so, your sig says your using a MBP 2.0!! :eek: Which is :cool: . These kind of threads really warm my heart I must say. Look ma, were gaming!!

HL2 on a $1000 mac portable?! Wicked wicked wicked.

I can't tell you how much i wan't to play with one of those MB's. They just look perfect for 90% of what I do. Anyway, back to posting your gaming results.

Has anyone tried Halo1:CS on the Windoze side? That would be great to see hauling butt.

It would run better then Halo 1 for the Mac, which I tried. It runs perfectly on Mac, so expect better then perfect results on WIndows :p

farqueue
Jun 21, 2006, 11:31 PM
hi ppl as a new mac users, i dont really get how can 64mb graphics card on a macbook ( i have a standard 1.83 model) can run counter strike source smoothly as mentioned by OP, when my five year old P42.8ghz PC with Geforce fx5200 runs CS source choppily

and

Why does HL2 run choppily but CS source runs fine? Arent they both the same engine? What settings/ resolution did u use on CS SOurce? what FPS?

I am deciding whether i need to upgrade to 2gb of ram or 1gb

also can someone please check how much ram is being used when running parallels + Limewire + Bittorent etc in windows?

Coz my macbook (1.83 base unit) lags so much with parallels running.

MacRumorUser
Jun 22, 2006, 02:43 AM
I am deciding whether i need to upgrade to 2gb of ram or 1gb

also can someone please check how much ram is being used when running parallels + Limewire + Bittorent etc in windows?

Coz my macbook (1.83 base unit) lags so much with parallels running.

If your running parallels, get 2gb. You need it.
Seriously I had 1gb in my macbook, allocating 512 to parallels, leaving 512 to osX. unfortuenetly 512 for osX is too little period.

So I get 2gb and everything flys. serious improvement. Had office 2003, and dvdclone ripping a dvd to an image, on XP, and itunes, iphoto, entourage in rosetta, and safari all running in OSX and still my page in page outs were excellent, with hardly any page outs compared to page ins,

Also with 2gb, I can run Ubuntu & XP in parallels as well as OS X

Virtualball
Jun 22, 2006, 03:36 AM
Well someone mentioned before that I should try Halo CE so i tried both. Both Halo Combat Evolved and Custom edition run great, better then OSX! But I get an error for unsupported hardware in the beginning, if you just click continue, everything is fine!

jx99
Jun 27, 2006, 12:20 PM
Virtualball,
Any news on how Star Wars Galaxies run on the Macbook. That is the deciding factor for me on whether to get a macbook or not. I don't mind even going with 2G ram if I know Star Wars Galaxies will run fine on the Macbook. Please help.

the Western zoo
Jun 27, 2006, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know how Football Manager 2006 and StarCraft runs with 1 gig of ram?? (I'm thinking of buy those...)

Btw do anyone have a link to a good mac game site located within europe?

bobber205
Jun 27, 2006, 08:00 PM
Does anyone know how Football Manager 2006 and StarCraft runs with 1 gig of ram?? (I'm thinking of buy those...)

Btw do anyone have a link to a good mac game site located within europe?

Except for the cinemans, Starcraft would work on 8 megs of video ram on an 8 year old card. It's all 2d. Don't worry about that. On my older mini, I don't even see the load screen anymore. :D

Gurutech
Jun 28, 2006, 12:37 AM
http://kettya.com/notebook2/gpu_ranking.htm

Go see yourself.

I'm surprised that GMA 950 is better than my Thinkpad's Mobility Radeon 9000.
And I'm pretty much satisfied with the 9000.

the Western zoo
Jun 28, 2006, 05:30 AM
Except for the cinemans, Starcraft would work on 8 megs of video ram on an 8 year old card. It's all 2d. Don't worry about that. On my older mini, I don't even see the load screen anymore. :D

Hmm... it's rather strange - there is like a stop sign on top of the icon of the game and it says it is not supported... is there anyway to bypass this??

edit: I should learn to try harder before asking, and then trying harder afterwards... just found the osx installer... sorry..

dextertangocci
Jun 28, 2006, 06:02 AM
Doom 3 runs great on my 2Ghz white MB:D

AP_piano295
Jun 28, 2006, 10:10 AM
What settings were you running BF2 on?

batman123
Jun 28, 2006, 10:26 AM
Doom 3 runs great on my 2Ghz white MB:D

Serious? How much RAM u got installed? Are you playing on Windoz or OS and what settingz u on? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Batman.

mattcube64
Jun 29, 2006, 01:06 AM
...Could you try out Star Wars: Empire of War. I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me how that runs on a MB. Thanks.

jx99
Jun 29, 2006, 11:06 AM
Please.... will someone please try Star Wars Galaxies on the MB with XP. There is a free trial on their website. http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com

I would really like to know if it will work on the MB 1.8 with 2G ram.

Thanks.

biohazard6969
Jul 2, 2006, 04:59 PM
ok i don't know about any of you but i can't get battlefield 2 to run on my black macbook. it will open and the screen will go black for a couple of seconds then it will just go back to windows. i also noticed that in the readme file it doesn't say that intel integrated graphics are supported....did i do somethign wrong i don't understand why it won't open

Scarlet Fever
Jul 3, 2006, 01:42 AM
ive tried Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow on my MacBook in Bootcamp and it sucks. The menus are impossible, i didnt even try the gameplay. Is it something im doing wrong? Or does the game just hate integrated GPUs?

spriter
Jul 4, 2006, 08:04 AM
OK, after wondering why there were conflicting reports here and how to define "plays well" without knowing all the details, I set up boot camp yesterday.

My machine is a White MacBook 2GHz with 2GB RAM.

Couter-Strike Source: it was choppy at low resolution and not playable in an enjoyable way. Smoke grenades kill the framerate to a near stop.

Battlefield 2: Installed it and the latest patch - click to start, I see the splash screen then it flickers as if it's about to change resoluton and then nothing. Didn't work at all. However, if CS Source was bad, I don't see BF2 being any better.

As those are the only PC games I had to hand it was back to OSX.

Call of Duty 2 (Universal Binary): worked very well at 640 with almost no lag, except for maybe a hint in large areas with smoke effects. Upping the res to 800 or 1024 gets the framerate down and isn't playable.

I plan to try Football Manager 2006 tonight via Rosetta.

Ringo
Jul 4, 2006, 08:56 AM

You're sure starcraft actually have a load screen??. Never saw one that I can remember of. On a side note, as tiny the game might be it's almost impossible to run 2 copy of starcraft at the same time and make them play smooth...(anyone wanna try with a quad? lol..!)

lmalave
Jul 4, 2006, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure how to count framerates, but WoW runs completely smoothly with all of the default game settings, including being fullscreen at 1280x800. I haven't been to any high-traffic areas like Ironforge yet though (for now just the Tauren newbie areas).

Civ IV also runs completely smoothly. But again, I just started the game. The graphics are an amazing step up from Civ III, and they run completely smoothly with all default settings.

...so it looks like for RPG and strategy gaming, the MacBook does just fine, thankyouverymuch. In fact, I'd like to see how it does on some first-person shooters. Maybe I'll try Call of Duty 2 next. I'll bet even that runs fine with settings turned down somewhat...

spriter
Jul 5, 2006, 01:01 AM
In fact, I'd like to see how it does on some first-person shooters. Maybe I'll try Call of Duty 2 next. I'll bet even that runs fine with settings turned down somewhat...

Call of Duty 2 (Universal Binary): worked very well at 640 with almost no lag, except for maybe a hint in large areas with smoke effects. Upping the res to 800 or 1024 gets the framerate down and isn't playable.

It works fine :) As long as it's on the default / auto detect settings where it's 640. Very smooth and completely playable. Like I said, only if you up the res and get in large and smokey areas do you get framerate issues.

AndyR
Jul 5, 2006, 02:33 AM
Anyone know how The Sims 2 runs?

Greebazoid
Jul 5, 2006, 03:47 AM
Anyone tried this game? I installed it on my core duo mini, and boy-oh-boy did it suck.

It ran fine - perfectly playable anyway - when I had bootcamp/XP installed

evangelion-01
Jul 6, 2006, 11:20 PM
battlefield 2 doesnt work... and i have 2gigs of ram, it just goes to a black screen and back to desktop.;)

the Western zoo
Jul 7, 2006, 06:18 AM
You're sure starcraft actually have a load screen??. Never saw one that I can remember of. On a side note, as tiny the game might be it's almost impossible to run 2 copy of starcraft at the same time and make them play smooth...(anyone wanna try with a quad? lol..!)

This I don't quite understand! why would you want to run two copies simultaniously? :)

btw I just tried the demo of call of duty 2 and I ran great... there was a little lag when I uped the resolution though, but it was still playable...

alec
Jul 7, 2006, 10:02 AM
I'll share some of my experiences:

Tropico runs great (I know, old school)
Civ 3 runs great
Sim City 4 Rush Hour runs OK (slow and not very snappy -- is this just the game? Any suggestions on how to make this actually run faster?)

And I've heard Civ 4 plays better on MacBooks then a lot of other systems. Apparently there are a lot of driver issues with graphics cards going on with 10.4.7 and Civ 4, and since MacBook has integrated graphics... it seems to run a lot better than MB Pro's or G5 towers! Astounding.

I'm on a MacBook 2 GHZ with 1.25 GB of RAM (soon to be 2 GB).

Thanks,
Alec

Dillon-K
Jul 12, 2006, 11:53 PM
Hmm... has anyone tried A) The Sims 2 on OS X (Universal) or B) tried it on parallels... the idea of dual-booting to play a game just pisses me off :).

bobber205
Jul 13, 2006, 12:23 AM
Hmm... has anyone tried A) The Sims 2 on OS X (Universal) or B) tried it on parallels... the idea of dual-booting to play a game just pisses me off :).

Unless you're system it amazing, you'll always get better results w/ Dual Booting. No emulation.

Truenemesis
Jul 18, 2006, 12:18 PM
What about a 1.83 Ghz Duo, 1 gb ram macbook non-pro? What do you think performance will be like? Should I buy another 2 gigs of ram? Whats the max ram the macbook non-pro can have?

JackSYi
Jul 18, 2006, 12:24 PM
I have a BlackBook with 2 gigs of RAM. Civilization runs very choppy (even with the lowest settings) and WoW runs fine. I'm trying to dl Call of Duty 2 now.

Mackilroy
Jul 18, 2006, 01:01 PM
Zero Hour works excellently in Windows XP via dual-booting. This is with 512 Mb of RAM, too.

Greebazoid
Jul 18, 2006, 02:14 PM
Zero Hour works excellently in Windows XP via dual-booting. This is with 512 Mb of RAM, too.

yeah, when I had bootcamp installed and XP installed, it ran fine. Dont really want to buy a windoze licence to run a game tho.

supremedesigner
Jul 18, 2006, 03:56 PM
We seriously need a thread or website that SAY which games run well.

Like this:

MBP with 1 GB of RAM and 2 GHz and is set in high setting in bootcamp, etc. and what games ran well.

MB with 1.5 GB of RAM and 2 GHz and blah blah blah

iMac with 512 MB of RAM and 2 GHz and blah blah blah and so on.

It would be useful if they provide like this:

MBP with 512 MB, 1 GB, 1.5 GB and 2 GB.
MB with 512 MB, 1 GB, 1.5 GB and 2 GB.
iMac with 512 MB, 1 GB, 1.5 GB and 2 GB.

That will be so much easier! So there won't be too many and confusing threads and such!

bobber205
Jul 18, 2006, 04:01 PM
We seriously need a thread or website that SAY which games run well.

Like this:

MBP with 1 GB of RAM and 2 GHz and is set in high setting in bootcamp, etc. and what games ran well.

MB with 1.5 GB of RAM and 2 GHz and blah blah blah

iMac with 512 MB of RAM and 2 GHz and blah blah blah and so on.

It would be useful if they provide like this:

MBP with 512 MB, 1 GB, 1.5 GB and 2 GB.
MB with 512 MB, 1 GB, 1.5 GB and 2 GB.
iMac with 512 MB, 1 GB, 1.5 GB and 2 GB.

That will be so much easier! So there won't be too many and confusing threads and such!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=214214

I tried starting that one. It got off to a good start, but died. Maybe it'll do better this time around. :D

supremedesigner
Jul 18, 2006, 04:02 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=214214

I tried starting that one. It got off to a good start, but died. Maybe it'll do better this time around. :D

Yes good one! It helps! I hope they follow your instructions!!!! :p

King Wali
Jul 19, 2006, 02:18 AM
Whenever I want to run Source, it just turns the screen black suddenly. What's going on?!

Phatpat
Jul 19, 2006, 06:10 PM
Anybody tried "The Ship"? Looks fun.

http://www.theshiponline.com/

vga4life
Jul 19, 2006, 07:10 PM
Civ IV for windows works quite well in BootCamp on my 2Ghz/2GB BlacBook.

Didn't bother with the Mac version due to all the reports of bugs and poor performance (sorry, Aspyr).

pourkay20
Jul 19, 2006, 09:45 PM
just got a macbook the one for 1099 and was wondering how well it would play counterstrike 1.6 or COD.

fps???

Mac Rules
Jul 19, 2006, 09:49 PM

ALL GAMES ON FULL SCREEN

Windows:

Half Life 2 runs choppy
Battlefield 2 runs well

Mac:

I Plan On Testing:

The Simpsons Hit and Run
Civilization 3 (Mac)

Wait a minute, if this is on the Macbook, how would the MBP cope? This is awesome news, what sort of settings did you have for Battlefield 2?

Cheers

clasicks
Jul 20, 2006, 11:00 AM
has anyone tried cs 1.6? does it run well?

kainjow
Jul 20, 2006, 03:50 PM
has anyone tried cs 1.6? does it run well?
It should run fine. I installed it on my Core Solo Mac mini (512MB), and it worked fine. I imagine on a MacBook with a Core Duo it'll run even better.

I'm not at all surprised that CS:S is choppy. That is a pretty GPU-intense game.

pourkay20
Jul 20, 2006, 07:03 PM
thats good news

Mackilroy
Jul 20, 2006, 07:32 PM
It's mostly de.dust that's choppy…*the last thread I saw mentioned that it was basically just that map that saw extremely low frame rates.

King Wali
Jul 21, 2006, 02:03 AM
I don't get it. Some people are saying that MacBook is running CS:S "great"?

I have a fully upgraded one, and it runs. So. Fracking. Horribly. No joke. Unless you guys are doing something I'm missing. Oh- and for those of you who are stuck on the black screen:

-Go to launch options
--dxlevel 7.0 <-insert
-Start 'er up

dragon2611
Jul 21, 2006, 02:16 AM
Seconded! Interested in WoW ... on the Windows side of things :)

The discs include both the mac and windows version of Wow however on the macbook it runs considerbly better in windows XP in osx i got 9 - 30fps but i had to put everything on lowest.

on XP i can have the graphics up high (apart from multisample and AF) and get the same sort of framerates...

No where near what a decent dedicated card can do but playable.

pourkay20
Jul 25, 2006, 11:42 PM
installed windows xp... steam is uploaded and i let cs download... it wont run every time and when it does it doesnt respond...

help plz
thx

pourkay20
Jul 26, 2006, 03:10 AM
It's mostly de.dust that's choppy…*the last thread I saw mentioned that it was basically just that map that saw extremely low frame rates.

de dust runs excellent on cs 1.6 dnt know ur talkin bout

Mackilroy
Jul 26, 2006, 07:57 AM
You're referring to CS. I'm referring to CS:S. There's your problem.

alec
Jul 26, 2006, 11:14 AM
The newly patched Civ 4 runs very well on my MacBook 2 GHZ with 2 GB RAM :)

pourkay20
Jul 26, 2006, 10:25 PM
so counterstrike source runs well on macbook...

sry bout the misunderstanding

benpatient
Jul 27, 2006, 02:44 PM
you guys have to run in DirectX 7 mode?

eeew!

so sorry...

Mackilroy
Jul 27, 2006, 04:47 PM
IIRC, the GMA supports DX9. Sorry bp – I know that's so disappointing. ;)

JackSYi
Jul 27, 2006, 06:21 PM
The Half-Life 2 autosave bug is so annoying.

njack9
Jul 29, 2006, 03:01 AM
Hey Guys,

How do you get Battlefield 2 to install on the Macbook. I have the base model, with 1GB Ram and 80GB Hard Drive Upgrades. Is it something to do with the Intel 950?

All help is great

Thanks

drummerbooker14
Jul 29, 2006, 09:26 AM
very good to know, guess i'll have to bite my lip and upgrade to 2 gigs

gathaar
Jul 31, 2006, 02:22 PM
Could someone please test heroes of might and magic V on his macbook.
I would be very grateful. I'm planning to buy one. (I can't afford a macbook pro, but I like playing videogames)

njack9
Jul 31, 2006, 10:45 PM
Hey Guys,

Battlefield 2 will not install on the Macbook. I have the base model, with 1GB Ram and 80GB Hard Drive Upgrades. How can I get it to work?
All help is great

Thanks

acastic
Aug 1, 2006, 02:00 PM
Could someone please test heroes of might and magic V on his macbook.
I would be very grateful. I'm planning to buy one. (I can't afford a macbook pro, but I like playing videogames)

I have it on my black Macbook with 2GB of RAM. works fine for me. A little slow down here and there, but otherwise its good :) Awesome game too! So much better than Heroes 4.

acastic
Aug 1, 2006, 02:05 PM
If anyone's interested, Dungeon Siege II runs great without any problems what-so-ever. Really fun too, especially if you enjoyed the first one.

QCassidy352
Aug 1, 2006, 02:17 PM
The newly patched Civ 4 runs very well on my MacBook 2 GHZ with 2 GB RAM :)

I assume you mean under OS X? Or only with bootcamp?

steelfist
Aug 2, 2006, 05:50 AM
any thoughts on the performance on neverwinter nights 2?

has anybody tried 3dmark 2001 SE, and 3dmark 2003?

gathaar
Aug 2, 2006, 01:38 PM
thx acastic (do you play hommV on best settings?)
hehe, yeah heroes IV wast the worst game of the heroes series; III&V are the best. DS1 was super,but I only played the demo of DS2.

on the youtube site, I also saw that half life 2 on best settings is still running "great".
the power of a macbook is quite impressive.
I'm wondering if it will be able to run games as 'supreme commander' , 'C&C : tiberium wars' and 'neverwinternights 2'

PS : are you planning to play other games on your macbook?

grtz

acastic
Aug 2, 2006, 03:07 PM
thx acastic (do you play hommV on best settings?)
hehe, yeah heroes IV wast the worst game of the heroes series; III&V are the best. DS1 was super,but I only played the demo of DS2.

on the youtube site, I also saw that half life 2 on best settings is still running "great".
the power of a macbook is quite impressive.
I'm wondering if it will be able to run games as 'supreme commander' , 'C&C : tiberium wars' and 'neverwinternights 2'

PS : are you planning to play other games on your macbook?

grtz

I play Heroes V on medium to high settings. I've seen it played on a MacBook Pro and a lot of the little background effects aren't present on the MacBook. Still plays great and is a must have game. I've been playing since the first Heroes game and Heroes III and V are by far the best.

I do have Half-Life 2 as well. It looks amazing on the MacBook. The only annoyance is the bug that crashes the game during every save. I haven't gotten too far in the game yet, so I can't say for sure what the performance will be when tons of enemies are on the screen.

I currently have Fable, Sacred, and Galactic Civilizations II as well. I haven't installed them yet, but if I have some time tonight and will check them out as well.

sunfast
Aug 3, 2006, 03:42 AM
I've been playing Sauerbraten (http://sauerbraten.org/) on my MB and it runs very nicely. And it's completely free!

Frozen-Beatle
Aug 8, 2006, 02:53 PM

Is it Universal Binaries?

mickeydizzle
Aug 10, 2006, 08:19 AM
Ok, I read loads of needy threads concerning SWG so I decided to test it out on my Macbook Pro 2.0 with 1GB of RAM with Bootcamp

Conclusions: Runs better than any PC I've ever tried it on, even with the highest graphics settings.

Ahh...Bliss

P.S - Sims 2 runs perfectly as well

Fishy
Aug 14, 2006, 06:31 PM
Does anyone have any solid info on how CS:S will run with the 2.0ghz macbook loaded with 2gb of ram? If possible... maybe a video? Thanks!

gathaar
Aug 15, 2006, 01:34 PM
Hi, it's me again. So i bought myself a white macbook, (2 GHz) I installed most things and everything looks fantastic!!!
Now, one minute ago I tried to run hommV on the windows partition (the demo version that i downloaded) but it's always crashing while loading the game (i put all the graphical options as low as possible) ... I did order extra ram in the shop, but it isn't installed on my macbook yet. Will the problem be solved when I have 2 Gb ram :confused: (now I only have 512Mb i think)

thx in advance !!!

bobber205
Aug 15, 2006, 09:02 PM
Unless that app takes an unbelievable amount of RAM, it should at least launch on your system.

shifeng
Aug 16, 2006, 01:38 AM
I really appreciate the effort!:)

I'd only play SW:Galaxies and Guild Wars via bootcamp anyway...:)

you tried GW on MB? What is your MB config? I'd very much like to have it run on a MB because I'm going to get one start of next year. If I can't run it on a MB I'm not going to buy factions or nightfall.

gathaar
Aug 16, 2006, 05:32 AM
well, the game works fine (i can choose the missions, the races etc), but while loading a campaign mission or a custom game, the monk, who was singing all the time, starts stuttering and i get this windows error report ...
I think i really need to upgrade my ram to 2Gb ...

PS: i also have problems with my apple keyboard when i work on windows (I have the latest bootcamp)

bigrell486
Aug 18, 2006, 08:28 PM
Has anyone one run NeverWinter Nights on a Macbook yet. If so, how good does it play.

bibiliohack
Aug 21, 2006, 11:32 PM
I'm still hoping someone will give the specs for gaming sims 2 on MBP under bootcamp. I am running sims 2, Uni, NL with 2.5 G of CC, and want to switch if feasible.
MBP 1.83Ghz
1.5 G

Eduardo1971
Aug 22, 2006, 07:47 PM
I am terribly sorry, but I haven't read through all 5 pages:o , but has anyone run Quake3 on a 2.0 GHz Macbook with 2GB RAM?

gathaar
Aug 23, 2006, 02:06 AM
I still have serious problems with homm V, i downloaded directX 9.0c run it on the lowest graphics possible (+ I have 2 Gb ram) and still it crashes on the loading screen. (it crashes after i selcted my campaign or custom game). well maybe it's a bad download :s

I also tried dungeon siege II now (like acastic) and it's running quite good 30-40 fps. This game rox, just as dungeon siege 1 and legends of arrana. where's the time that i played these games day and night *.*

I downloaded the quake 4 demo, but it was a demo for powermac's, so it ran crappy.

still if anyone could help me with homm V ... I'd be very grateful.

Agurri
Aug 24, 2006, 11:52 PM
I tried the demo of Quake 4 with my macbook : 2.0 ghz, 2gb ram. I think everything was on low, but t would run not so badly.

RedTomato
Aug 25, 2006, 05:16 AM
Attention testers,

OS X contains optimisation code that takes several passes to do its magic. (seeing which bits of a program you use the most, and fiddling with them)

This means that the first time you run a heavy game, it will not run at full speed.

Play it for a few minutes, then quit and restart (possibly reboot). You should see a slight speedup. Running prebinding and other cron jobs will probably help too.

Case example. Unreal Tournament 2004 on a Powerbook 15" G4 1.5 ghz running OS 10.4.5.

First time I ran this game, it sucked. Slow, laggy, stuttering frame rates. So I left it for a bit. (I didn't know much about OS X at that time) Played it a couple more times when I was bored and noticed it was running better. Now it runs much smoother, frame rates are up, and it's very playable now.

Have noticed the same thing happening with Doom 3.

This may explain the different results some of you are getting.

mrgreen4242
Aug 25, 2006, 03:36 PM
I am terribly sorry, but I haven't read through all 5 pages:o , but has anyone run Quake3 on a 2.0 GHz Macbook with 2GB RAM?

I assume you mean quake 4... quake 3 runs on just about anything now-a-days.

Kimi
Aug 25, 2006, 04:54 PM
Is it Universal Binaries?
Read what you quote.

biohazard6969
Aug 25, 2006, 05:54 PM
well i'm quite unsure myself how well quake 3 would run on a macbook, and of course quake 4 has already been tried so...i'd think he would have meant quake 3. and i'm interested in this as well

Dont Hurt Me
Aug 25, 2006, 06:30 PM
I would be curious if a Macbook can run Pacific Fighters or IL2?? anyone try? Great flight simulators.

MacRumorUser
Aug 25, 2006, 06:35 PM
I would be curious if a Macbook can run Pacific Fighters or IL2?? anyone try? Great flight simulators.

:confused: Dont Hurt Me curious about MacBook gaming? I never thought I'd see the day ;) :D

MRU

freakinmusket
Aug 25, 2006, 08:06 PM
Will battlefield 2 work on the stock $1099 one for sure because the details are a bit sketchy.

bklam
Aug 25, 2006, 08:09 PM
Will battlefield 2 work on the stock $1099 one for sure because the details are a bit sketchy.

I agree

can someone please post their specs and if they are running from boot camp or parallel please.

biohazard6969
Aug 25, 2006, 09:31 PM
no, i tried on my black macbook adn it didn't work

Mackilroy
Aug 25, 2006, 10:55 PM
no, i tried on my black macbook adn it didn't work

To extrapolate – some people have gotten it to work, some have not. YMMV.

spriter
Aug 26, 2006, 02:16 AM
I had no luck with BF2 in XP. Patched to the latest update it loaded splash screen then flickered to a black screen (like it was changing resolution) then kicked back to the desktop.

Spec in sig.

I didn't try anything extra. I read there's people on the BF2 forums who got it working but I lost interest with all that tinkering to get things to work a long time ago :p

gathaar
Aug 26, 2006, 03:42 AM
i really don't get it, the first time i played dungeon siege 2 on my macbook it ran fantastic. (30-50fps) The second time i played it, it crashed the first 2 times, the third time it worked. Yesterday I had to restart my computer and relaunch the game for about 2 hours, and finally it worked again.
So if the game doesn't crash suddenly, it plays really smoothly (but now i have to save my game every 2 minutes, coz I'm afraid that it will crash again). I really don't get it :confused:
most other games don't run either (hommV, fable,...)
etherlords 2 doesn't run really smoothly

(I've got a white macbook 2.0 GHz with 2 Gb of RAM)

(I also downloaded directX 9.0c)

lewion
Sep 7, 2006, 10:45 AM
If anyone's interested, Dungeon Siege II runs great without any problems what-so-ever. Really fun too, especially if you enjoyed the first one.

Mac or Windows version????

oyam5000
Sep 7, 2006, 12:46 PM
Oh and I tried Civ 3 for Mac OS X and it runs great!

What about Civ 4?

gathaar
Sep 9, 2006, 10:49 AM
windows, I guess.

jipppppiiii! (they all work fine)
-FABLE
-Dungeon Siege1 & 2
-etherlords 2
-warcraft 3:tft
-homm III & IV
-the elder scrolls: daggerfall & arena

error :mad: (unable to play them)
-Dark messiah of might and magic
-hommV
-TES: Oblivion

I'm also going to try guild wars (but if WoW works,I guess GW will work too)

(srry for my last post, dungeon siege 2 really works fine now, just as the other games, except for homm V)

DwightSchrute
Sep 9, 2006, 01:38 PM
Has anyone tried running The Movies on their Macbook or is that out of the question. I've wanted that game for quite some time and there's no way my PC would ever run it so will it work on a Macbook?

lewion
Sep 10, 2006, 09:55 AM
windows, I guess.

jipppppiiii! (they all work fine)
-FABLE
-Dungeon Siege1 & 2
-etherlords 2
-warcraft 3:tft
-homm III & IV
-the elder scrolls: daggerfall & arena

error :mad: (unable to play them)
-Dark messiah of might and magic
-hommV
-TES: Oblivion

I'm also going to try guild wars (but if WoW works,I guess GW will work too)

(srry for my last post, dungeon siege 2 really works fine now, just as the other games, except for homm V)

Can you plz make a video of all those working games in action...

And plz keep me informed.. you have the same games as i want to play :)

AnthonyKinyon
Sep 10, 2006, 12:54 PM
How about testing Star Wars Galaxies :)

Let me know if you or someone posts about this game on a MacBook as I'm considering getting one. :) SWG runs great on a Mac Mini Core Duo (1 GB RAM). Will work in 512 MB (speaking from experience) but performance MUCH better with 1 GB. :)

enclave
Sep 11, 2006, 06:06 PM
Just chiming in here guys, I have a Macbook 1.83 with 1.2 gig of ram and Quake III runs like a dream, just make sure you download the Quake 3 Universal Binary and you're good to go.

Also I like to run Red alert 2 and some old school pc games with Bootcamp.

I love my macbook, I don't care if the video card is woefully inadequate. :(

AHDuke99
Sep 22, 2006, 10:38 AM
how did you get halo to run well? i had vertex and pixel shaders on running it at 800x500 reso and it ran badly except when there was no action. if aliens, especially in an open field, appeared, the game lagged something awful! perhaps you have a different opinion of well. it ran better on my old PPC 1.25Ghz Powerbook with 64MB Radeon 9600. The GMA 950 is awful.

Shirohama
Sep 22, 2006, 10:10 PM
My Specs: The Higher up Macbook (white) version, with 100 GIG, and 1 GB of ram.

Games I've played:

On Mac:
Jedi Academy (Kinda sluggy with Rosettta)
Warcrfat 3 (Same deal, Rosetta)
Diablo II (Playable, Rosetta)
Starcraft (Playable, Rosetta)

On PC (So far)
Matrix Online (NO LAG, Amazing)
Warcraft 3 (No Lag)
In fact, I was playing both of them at the same time, with no lag.
Suprisingly enough the 64MB Intel Integrated Video Card is good, it supports Direct x9.

lewion
Sep 23, 2006, 03:04 AM
My Specs: The Higher up Macbook (white) version, with 100 GIG, and 1 GB of ram.

Games I've played:

On Mac:
Jedi Academy (Kinda sluggy with Rosettta)
Warcrfat 3 (Same deal, Rosetta)
Diablo II (Playable, Rosetta)
Starcraft (Playable, Rosetta)

On PC (So far)
Matrix Online (NO LAG, Amazing)
Warcraft 3 (No Lag)
In fact, I was playing both of them at the same time, with no lag.
Suprisingly enough the 64MB Intel Integrated Video Card is good, it supports Direct x9.

Nice,

Here is what i've tested on my new MacBook 1.83 ghz 1 Gb ram 60 Gb Hard Disk:

Call of duty 2 (Native MacOsx Demo Universal)
-> Runs Very well, even on high settings and high windows mode. Extra high is not a question :) But i think High settings will do for most people!

Quake 4 (Native MacOsx Demo Universal)
-> Runs like ****, even in lowest settings lowest window mode, it's just not good... i think id software uses a abnormally high graphic program. Even on low settings it looked like half life 2 on high :eek: So, don't download that 5xx Mb for the demo that doesn't work if you own a MacBook or a Mac Mini

Legion Arena (Native MacOsx Demo Universal)
-> Runs lovely, High Settings, High Window, Runs very nice and is a very nice game :) i'll be buying this i think :)

Tremelous (Native MacOsx Universal Full Game, since it's free)
-> Runs at 90 fps On High settings, is a free game and looks like doom3...
The basic idea is that you have 2 sides, The alien side and the human site.
(Same as ET with Axis and Allies) And you have to kill each other :) Being a human though is very hard :) I recommend this game for people who want to play a very nice free game online!

Minions of Mirth (Native MacOsx ROSETTA Full game)
-> Does not run very nice, it lags ! it's almost inplayable on ROSETTA. For those interested, they have announced the universal binary for the game, so expect to see it some day :) If that comes out, you can be certain to have a nice playable game!

Enemy Territory (Native MacOsx ROSETTA Full game)
-> Runs like crap, you can walk nice around but when it comes to action, it's totally not playable! At least on the belgian servers :) which has lag sometimes though so i will test this again on any server people give me it this topic, that they know don't have lag all the time.

That's it people, be sure to check out my next review about MacBook Gaming!

lmalave
Sep 25, 2006, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure how to count framerates, but WoW runs completely smoothly with all of the default game settings, including being fullscreen at 1280x800.

Update: so apparently I just had to hit CTRL-R in the game to toggle framerate display. So basically here are the WoW framerates I'm getting with the default video settings:

Outdoors: 15 fps
Indoors (e.g. caves, Ironforge): 30 fps
Lowest framerate: 10 fps (dungeon with group)
Highest framerate: 40 fps (featureless indoor areas like hallways)

So overall WoW has performed quite well. I played an Orc Warlock to level 37, then switched to a Gnome Rogue and have it up to level 25.

Josias
Sep 25, 2006, 02:54 PM
MacBook: 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM. stock 60 GB HDD (white:D ).

Mac OS X:
Halo PPC Demo - really s*cked. Around 10fps at normal settings.

Windows XP Home:
Halo
640x480 at lowest settings: max. 60 fps. average 35 fps.
1280x800 at lowest settings: max. 25 fps. average 20 fps.
1280x800 at highest settings: haven't tested.

Well, it looks pretty impressive. I'll try out Roller Coaster Tycoon soon. (not 2 or 3, the original and best:cool: ).

KiDo
Oct 3, 2006, 04:58 AM
its funny to see that the macbook actually runs games pretty well, i have a black one myself, played wow on windows, everything on high, like a train, 2gb ram, 2ghz

Phluxy
Oct 3, 2006, 10:23 PM
from most of what i've heard from here (and seen on youtube) the macbook is fairly decent for gaming. But i hear these stories about games not opening and crashing and knowing my luck it makes me nervous to buy a macbook. I just want games on the go without shelling out the big bucks.

rs1985
Oct 4, 2006, 03:09 AM
please help me
I am playing NHL 2007 on my 2.16 MacBook Pro
and is lagging like hell
anyone ?
I install the Mac Drivers that i burn on to the disx
and is still lagging like hell
please
the sound is fine
but the video is killing me
so laggy

ReanimationLP
Oct 4, 2006, 03:28 AM
I can guarantee you that Quake 4 will always run like **** on Intel integrated graphics.

It flys though when you have a nice, powerful ATi or Nvidia card, like my 9800XT at 1280x1024 @ High gets 45-70 FPS.

Stridder44
Oct 4, 2006, 04:35 AM
I can guarantee you that Quake 4 will always run like **** on Intel integrated graphics.

It flys though when you have a nice, powerful ATi or Nvidia card, like my 9800XT at 1280x1024 @ High gets 45-70 FPS.

Well duh. I can guarantee that you'll get wet when it rains and the sun is hot.

Hopefully 10.5 Leopard will bring some nice Bootcamp goodies (driver-wise)

lewion
Oct 4, 2006, 12:15 PM

-> Runs Very well, even on high settings and high windows mode. Extra high is not a question :) But i think High settings will do for most people!

-> Runs like ****, even in lowest settings lowest window mode, it's just not good... i think id software uses a abnormally high graphic program. Even on low settings it looked like half life 2 on high :eek: So, don't download that 5xx Mb for the demo that doesn't work if you own a MacBook or a Mac Mini

-> Runs lovely, High Settings, High Window, Runs very nice and is a very nice game :) i'll be buying this i think :)

(Same as ET with Axis and Allies) And you have to kill each other :) Being a human though is very hard :) I recommend this game for people who want to play a very nice free game online!

-> Does not run very nice, it lags ! it's almost inplayable on ROSETTA. For those interested, they have announced the universal binary for the game, so expect to see it some day :) If that comes out, you can be certain to have a nice playable game!

-> Runs like crap, you can walk nice around but when it comes to action, it's totally not playable! At least on the belgian servers :) which has lag sometimes though so i will test this again on any server people give me it this topic, that they know don't have lag all the time.

Update to the gaming review:

Minions of Mirth (Native MacOsx Universal Full game)
-> Runs like heaven.. Everybody should try this game if they want to see what MacBook is capable of in OsX.. Anyway, i don't know the fps but it runs as a flying bird. U can change it to window mode if you want to for extra performance. Playing on high for those who like to know. (I play it in an unsupported 800*600 window mode for yet extra performance. Contact me if you want to know how to play in 800*600)

Let me know if you have a demo that needs to be tested. I'll be here for you!

Machead III
Oct 6, 2006, 02:52 PM
Installing the new drivers on the Windows side apparently increases performance significantly, and compatibility for certain games/features.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel945g/

ichii
Oct 6, 2006, 07:33 PM
Has anyone test Guild Wars Faction or The Movies ?

Leej
Oct 10, 2006, 01:31 PM

<snip>
-> Runs like heaven.. Everybody should try this game if they want to see what MacBook is capable of in OsX.. Anyway, i don't know the fps but it runs as a flying bird. U can change it to window mode if you want to for extra performance. Playing on high for those who like to know. (I play it in an unsupported 800*600 window mode for yet extra performance. Contact me if you want to know how to play in 800*600)

Good to see that you are enjoying MoM! Fwiw, the UB of MoM will run great on a Mini or on a MacBook provided you have a gig of ram. Under a gig and some settings will probably have to be dropped.

ichii
Oct 11, 2006, 04:48 PM
I found a website with the games that work on a Macbook
Here's the list
Age of Empires III (1440x900)
America's Army 2.6 (1440x900) (1680x1050)
Battlefield 2 (small artifacting)
Battlefield 2: Euro Force (small artifacting)
Birth of America (1440x900)
Call of Duty 2 (1440x900) (1680x1050)
City of Heroes
City of Villains
Civilization IV (1440x900)
Combat Flight Simulator 3
Counter-Strike: Source (1440x900)
Day of Defeat: Source (1440x900)
Doom 3 (Enter this into the console: r_mode -1 r_customwidth 1680 r_customheight 1050 vid_restart. This will enable 1680x1050 resolution. Replace with 1440 and 900 to enable 1440x900 resolution)
Everquest (1440x900)
Everquest 2 (1440x900)
F.E.A.R. (1440x900)
Far Cry (1440x900)
Final Fantasy XI
Flight Simulator 2000
Flight Sim 2004 - Century of Flight
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (1440x900)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Guild Wars
Half-Life 2 (1440x900)
Hitman: Blood Money
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Morrowind (Elder Scrolls 3)
Motocross Madness 2
Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV) (1440x900)
Operation Flashpoint
Prey Demo
Quake 3
Quake 4 (1440x900 and 1680x1050)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Star Wars Battlefront II
Star Wars Empire at War (1440x900)
The Movies
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006
Tomb Raider Legend Demo
Ultima Online
UT2004
World of Warcraft (1440x900)

lewion
Oct 16, 2006, 03:02 PM

Update:

Minions of Mirth (Native Windows Bootcamp)
-> Runs even better then the universal native osx game. You can put everything on high, highest window mode and still play at very good fps. Definitly something bootcamp-users must try out!

Age of Empires III (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Runs great, as long as you put shader detail low (because otherwise there are some graphic issues), you can put everything else on high. it's recommend to put everything on medium and have water reflections off in a world with much water stuff. Also i recommend to not set bloom, as i see no difference and it gives more performance. Great game, definitly try it out

Age of Empires III - The WarChiefs (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Same as Above, Runs great as long as you keep my recommend settings.

Enemy Territory (Native Windows Bootcamp Full)
-> Runs lovely, everything high! Highest window mode,... It's a great game. But i do wonder where the arena 51 servers are... can't seem to find them :) Skynet servers rule though Happy gaming!!!

F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Runs Good - Great, it autodetects high, but i recommend to set it medium.
Keep the window mode at 800*600 and you will be Great! Very nice demo.

Warcraft III - Reign of Chaos (Native OsX Rosetta! Full)
-> Runs very good, although you play it under the rosetta engine, it really gives it worth a play. It runs great at high settings! So if you're a little short on hard disk space, and you would really like this game without having to go under bootcamp, install it under osx and you'll see how great the rosetta engine handles this one.

Warcraft III - Reign of Chaos (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Still downloading... I'll post my results when it's done

Mac'Mo
Oct 16, 2006, 03:31 PM
Just a real quick question that I have not seen addressed widely, but how are games (in general) on the MB. I realize its 13" and thats not very big. My friend said that 15" is the minimum in playing games effectively on a laptop. Any comments? TIA

lewion
Oct 16, 2006, 03:34 PM
Just a real quick question that I have not seen addressed widely, but how are games (in general) on the MB. I realize its 13" and thats not very big. My friend said that 15" is the minimum in playing games effectively on a laptop. Any comments? TIA

Your brother is lame...

Figure out what i mean.. and look at my upper post...

Make your decision...

aholden12592
Oct 16, 2006, 08:07 PM
i got the best black macbook in the store - 2 ghz, 1 GB 667 mhz DDR2 SDRAM

I want to play battlefield 2 and counterstrike - what's it gonna be like????

I guess you can only get 2GB of RAM online

Mackilroy
Oct 16, 2006, 08:11 PM

I guess you can only get 2GB of RAM online

Who told you that? You can go down to the local CompUSA and buy two gigabytes easily.

aholden12592
Oct 16, 2006, 08:30 PM
how would i get them in my laptop??

Mackilroy
Oct 16, 2006, 08:55 PM
how would i get them in my laptop??

Why, by installing them. :)

For more info, check Apple's handy doc pages (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303721).

aholden12592
Oct 16, 2006, 09:27 PM
ya i checked that thing - looks easy but i do have both slots filled with a 512 mb in each

I do still want to know about this

Mackilroy
Oct 16, 2006, 10:43 PM
ya i checked that thing - looks easy but i do have both slots filled with a 512 mb in each

It's recommended you use dual-channel memory, yes, to get the most out of the 950. So, 2x256, 2x512, 2x1000, whatever works. You don't have to have it, though, if you don't want to. It's just recommended. Sorta like your mom telling you to eat your veggies. ;)

I do still want to know about this

Battlefield 2 and Counterstrike? I'm sorry to say that if you bought a MacBook to play those games you shouldn't have. The MacBook is fine for light gaming and some more moderate loads, but for games like Battlefield, it's not. You would've been better off buying a MacBook Pro or an iMac to play those games. The original Counter Strike would probably run okay – I've been meaning to grab the collection of CS games at Wal-mart, so if you don't mind waiting a few days I can try those for you.

aholden12592
Oct 16, 2006, 11:06 PM
well first off i didn't get it for gaming. and second another post said that they run fine i just want to make sure that it applies to my model of macbook too

Mackilroy
Oct 16, 2006, 11:23 PM
well first off i didn't get it for gaming. and second another post said that they run fine i just want to make sure that it applies to my model of macbook too

There are essentially two models of MacBooks (discounting the color change), eschewing the MacBook Pro entirely: 1.83 GHz and 2.0 GHz. So you're getting about the same performance either way.

aholden12592
Oct 17, 2006, 08:54 AM
for those who want to get BF2 on their macbooks but it always doesn't work and there's a black screen check out his topic

http://ww22.host-us.net/~onmac/forum/showthread.php?t=1532

petrocket
Oct 18, 2006, 12:07 PM
Does Civ IV (ASPYR version not PC) run well on a MacBook (1.83Ghz w/ intel core duo and latest OSX and 1GB RAM)? :confused:

Has anybody tried it on a regular MacBook (not pro)?

I've read that some ppl have used the PC version in bootcamp, but I'd be buying this as a gift for someone who isn't very computer savvy and bootcamp would be too much of a hassle for them.

Thanks!

Hicks.
Oct 21, 2006, 05:18 PM
One game I'd love to be able to play is Oblivion! I loved the Elder Scrolls series :cool:

I know it's not an option with the macbook!

Mernak
Oct 21, 2006, 08:27 PM
Has anyone one run NeverWinter Nights on a Macbook yet. If so, how good does it play.
If you mean the first one (I don't think they have released the second yet), it runs without a hiccup, unless it is multiplayer and there is a bunch of people in a battle. I'll try to get some framerates and stuff at the default settings and stuff later on.

Mackilroy
Oct 21, 2006, 09:20 PM
Does Civ IV (ASPYR version not PC) run well on a MacBook (1.83Ghz w/ intel core duo and latest OSX and 1GB RAM)? :confused:

Has anybody tried it on a regular MacBook (not pro)?

I've read that some ppl have used the PC version in bootcamp, but I'd be buying this as a gift for someone who isn't very computer savvy and bootcamp would be too much of a hassle for them.

Thanks!

I own the Mac version of Civ IV, and yes, it runs well. I can run it at full resolution, but mind you, I have to turn down the settings. If you'd like, PM me and I'll send you the settings I use in Civ.

petrocket
Oct 25, 2006, 10:09 AM
I own the Mac version of Civ IV, and yes, it runs well. I can run it at full resolution, but mind you, I have to turn down the settings. If you'd like, PM me and I'll send you the settings I use in Civ.

Thanks!! I'm gonna try it!

gathaar
Nov 3, 2006, 08:46 AM
@ichii strange how games like F.E.A.R./ Half Life 2/ Oblivion work,and heroes ofmigh and magic V not. I shouldn't trust that site.

@ lewion,it looks like u get most games running on ur macbook,plz try out the homm V demo for me. If u succeed in running it,u're my hero ^^

i haven't played many more games on my macbook yet,except for C&C: the first decade (all C&C games),which all run great, and pristontale (mmorpg with bad graphs but fun gameplay)
maybe ppl can gimme some suggestions (games to buy) i like FPS,RTS,RPG.

(white macbook 2 GHz-2Gb RAM)

mcmadhatter
Nov 3, 2006, 09:32 AM
Ok here is a slightly random selection of the things I have tried.

Age of Empires III + War Chiefs, works really well (use the settings on page 6 of this thread

Sid Meirs Railroads works like a big steaming pile of poo, gameplay like a big steaming pile of poo. Turned all the settings to low and it was jerky and unresponsive, but having played it on my pc I have decided to uninstall it anyway cos it is rubbish

Sim Tower - works a treat (un suprisingly) , works really well under crossfire as well.

FM2006 Works like a dream (but isn't in any way graphic intensive, dual core helps a lot though)

FM2007 Same as above

Chris Sawyers Locomotion Works great under bootcamp (again not very intensive)

RT3 Same as above

steelfist
Nov 3, 2006, 10:09 AM
One game I'd love to be able to play is Oblivion! I loved the Elder Scrolls series :cool:

I know it's not an option with the macbook!

actually, you can with oldblivion: www.oldblivion.com

it works with my pc with geforce 4 ti!

tom.96
Nov 3, 2006, 11:26 AM
I’m just wondering - if the Macbook had a core 2 duo rather than a core duo how much would this improve game performance if everything else stayed the same? I mean at the same speed would the core 2 duo be a better gaming chip?

lewion
Nov 3, 2006, 01:17 PM
@ichii strange how games like F.E.A.R./ Half Life 2/ Oblivion work,and heroes ofmigh and magic V not. I shouldn't trust that site.

@ lewion,it looks like u get most games running on ur macbook,plz try out the homm V demo for me. If u succeed in running it,u're my hero ^^

i haven't played many more games on my macbook yet,except for C&C: the first decade (all C&C games),which all run great, and pristontale (mmorpg with bad graphs but fun gameplay)
maybe ppl can gimme some suggestions (games to buy) i like FPS,RTS,RPG.

(white macbook 2 GHz-2Gb RAM)

uhm i could do that if u give me download site + say what u want to know... either osx or windows... i will not do both (if there is a hommv for osx ?? :s lol) so if u give me that, yeah why not i'll give it a try

I’m just wondering - if the Macbook had a core 2 duo rather than a core duo how much would this improve game performance if everything else stayed the same? I mean at the same speed would the core 2 duo be a better gaming chip?

ahum... are you really asking this?? Off course it wont be better then it is now... Maybe 0.05 increase of fps...

So no it all depends on the graphics chip. Which although it isnt the greates, is quite good... F.E.A.R. and such all run...

gathaar
Nov 4, 2006, 06:13 AM
hehehe thx for willing to try it out,mate.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_13278.shtml
==>you don't need subscribing for this site.

http://games.telenet.be/demos.php?act=one&did=753
==> subscribing needed.

(both pc versions. mac version is still under devellopment==> http://hommv.utopos.net/ )

http://www.gamershell.com/pc/heroes_of_might_and_magic_v/screenshots.html?page=6
==>some screens (i think this graphics require less than those of F.E.A.R. :s)

(P4 1.5Ghz., 512MB RAM, 128MB 3D = req. for pc)

lewion
Nov 4, 2006, 07:46 AM
hehehe thx for willing to try it out,mate.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_13278.shtml
==>you don't need subscribing for this site.

http://games.telenet.be/demos.php?act=one&did=753
==> subscribing needed.

(both pc versions. mac version is still under devellopment==> http://hommv.utopos.net/ )

http://www.gamershell.com/pc/heroes_of_might_and_magic_v/screenshots.html?page=6
==>some screens (i think this graphics require less than those of F.E.A.R. :s)

(P4 1.5Ghz., 512MB RAM, 128MB 3D = req. for pc)

R u from belgium? Telenet is from belgium and i already have a subscription for that so no problem on that... if ur from belgium plz say it lol.. and i will try it out first thing tommorow... if i dont have to do anything else. Cya

Aan u naam te zien... gat haar, komt ge uit belgie of nederland... lol wel een zeer speciale naam moet ik zeggen...

gathaar
Nov 4, 2006, 09:12 AM
hehe,ja ben van België. Van Beveren om ietwat preciezer te zijn. Had al sinds eerste dag je woonplaats Kalmthout opgemerkt hoor ;)

Wat die belachelijke nickname betreft ... heb hem ooit es vr de browsergame hattrick gebruikt en gebruik hem nu vr de meeste fora, niemand begrijpt het toch XD.
Kvoel me wel wat margi,kzit hier al m'n posts vol te zagen over homm V,mrja is 1 van m'n lievelinggames en wie niet zaagt,niet wint =).

Ben altijd pc-mannetje geweest,tot ik de gebruiksvriendelijkheid van de mac-software bij m'n broer zag. 's wel wat anders dan die windows toestanden. Kheb me daarom sinds midden augustus een macbookje aangeschaft en ben er zeer tevreden over. Alleen mis ik af en toe wat goeie game-kwaliteit.

als je mss nog suggesties hebt vr enkele vlot draaiende, toffe games. ^^

PS : en ben je zoiezo zeker dat Half Life 2/ Doom 3/ F.E.A.R. 100% werken? zoja dan gaak me daar es mee amuseren ^^

@ other members : srry for this weird message,from now on i'll post in english again :)

aholden12592
Nov 4, 2006, 01:50 PM
OF COURSE! why didn't i think of that!:p :p :p

andrewe1
Nov 4, 2006, 02:52 PM
I was amazed how fear runs on my 1gb blackbook...

a lot of people didnt believe me so I made a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=169y2YtyQyQ

I think other people should make videos of games if they can too, to give a good idea of how the game plays...

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 4, 2006, 04:17 PM
I was amazed how fear runs on my 1gb blackbook...

a lot of people didnt believe me so I made a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=169y2YtyQyQ

I think other people should make videos of games if they can too, to give a good idea of how the game plays...
I cant seem to get past the prerecorded video clips in the begining of your recording, How is the actual gameplay? How about some in game footage?

andrewe1
Nov 4, 2006, 04:44 PM
I cant seem to get past the prerecorded video clips in the begining of your recording, How is the actual gameplay? How about some in game footage?

those are not pre recordered, they are rendered in real time...and if you wouldve waited till they were over, then you wouldve seen some actual gameplay...

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 4, 2006, 04:54 PM
those are not pre recordered, they are rendered in real time...and if you wouldve waited till they were over, then you wouldve seen some actual gameplay...I did but you tube kept quitting, 3 times I tried it & 3 times it would just stop. Those begining clips arent game play they are prerecorded sequence that the game starts with laying down the story. I have F.E.A.R. there is a big difference between game play and prerecorded scenes.

andrewe1
Nov 4, 2006, 05:01 PM
I did but you tube kept quitting, 3 times I tried it & 3 times it would just stop. Those begining clips arent game play they are prerecorded sequence that the game starts with laying down the story. I have F.E.A.R. there is a big difference between game play and prerecorded scenes.

THEY ARE NOT PRE RECORDED..........................I KNOW THE GAME INSIDE OUT, IF YOU CHANGE THE SETTINGS IN THE SYSTEM THEN YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE INTRO........

Im sorry your youtube keeps quiting, but theres Gameplay in there, if you cant see it its your problem...

If you have fear you can try and see for yourself...

bobber205
Nov 4, 2006, 05:05 PM
THEY ARE NOT PRE RECORDED..........................I KNOW THE GAME INSIDE OUT, IF YOU CHANGE THE SETTINGS IN THE SYSTEM THEN YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE INTRO........

Im sorry your youtube keeps quiting, but theres Gameplay in there, if you cant see it its your problem...

If you have fear you can try and see for yourself...

He's right everybody. I just watched it.

Pretty good stuff I saw. The lighting effects seem to be performing especially well. Kudos to you! :D :D :D

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 4, 2006, 05:59 PM

If you have fear you can try and see for yourself...FEAR has a built in performance test to test your Machine you should try it and post your results & settings.

andrewe1
Nov 4, 2006, 07:26 PM
FEAR has a built in performance test to test your Machine you should try it and post your results & settings.

How about no? I proved my point, you want to see specific results then do it yourself...

the only thing im saying here is that macbook users have an option to play some cool games...

So, can the macbook run FEAR at playable speeds? YES, it very well can...

Try and prove me wrong

bobber205
Nov 4, 2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks for that video again.

Would you mind posting your results on my Macbook gaming thread? (It needs a pickmeup. ;) )

andrewe1
Nov 4, 2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for that video again.

Would you mind posting your results on my Macbook gaming thread? (It needs a pickmeup. ;) )

sure...

hey I sent you a PM...

do you have msn or something?

gathaar
Nov 5, 2006, 04:11 AM
wow dude nice video. it ran very smooth indeed. I'm really amazed.
Does it still runs smooth when there's a lot of action? (bullets flying around + that time slow thingy ^^)

I like video's getting posted,but i dun have a digital camera :'(

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 5, 2006, 09:52 AM
No reply? I must make a comment on the Fear game and that it is very scalable to your equipment. You can turn off many things,type of shadows,vertix shaders,Resolution,effects etc etc. I was able to avg only 21 fps drawing all the pretty stuff on med/med on a pc, Then turned it to low/low and had frame rates in the 100s:eek: but the fire looked very primitive and the water looked like a sheet of grey slate. 1 setting the water was burbling,reflecting appearing as real life water the other didnt resemble water at all. So Fear is able to run on many different machines both newer and older and thats the good news.:)

lewion
Nov 5, 2006, 11:00 AM
hehe,ja ben van België. Van Beveren om ietwat preciezer te zijn. Had al sinds eerste dag je woonplaats Kalmthout opgemerkt hoor ;)

Wat die belachelijke nickname betreft ... heb hem ooit es vr de browsergame hattrick gebruikt en gebruik hem nu vr de meeste fora, niemand begrijpt het toch XD.
Kvoel me wel wat margi,kzit hier al m'n posts vol te zagen over homm V,mrja is 1 van m'n lievelinggames en wie niet zaagt,niet wint =).

Ben altijd pc-mannetje geweest,tot ik de gebruiksvriendelijkheid van de mac-software bij m'n broer zag. 's wel wat anders dan die windows toestanden. Kheb me daarom sinds midden augustus een macbookje aangeschaft en ben er zeer tevreden over. Alleen mis ik af en toe wat goeie game-kwaliteit.

als je mss nog suggesties hebt vr enkele vlot draaiende, toffe games. ^^

PS : en ben je zoiezo zeker dat Half Life 2/ Doom 3/ F.E.A.R. 100% werken? zoja dan gaak me daar es mee amuseren ^^

@ other members : srry for this weird message,from now on i'll post in english again :)

Ben er nog niet aan toe gekomen... zal je laten weten als ik het getest heb... en over die andere games, check mijn lijst gewoon even... doom3 ga ik nog testen vanavond. Dus daar krijg je morgen wel gegevens van. (Wat is je leeftijd?) Veel succes allesinds..

In english: I haven't tested hommV yet, i shall let you all know when i tested it. Feel free to look into my posts where you can find a 2 pages long review of games played on my MacBook. Tonight i'm going to test doom3 for those who are interested.
Mind that this is not really a translation of what is said above in dutch. (I don't think it's bad to post things in dutch and english is it?)

Have fun...

lewion
Nov 5, 2006, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewion

-> Runs Very well, even on high settings and high windows mode. Extra high is not a question But i think High settings will do for most people!

-> Runs like ****, even in lowest settings lowest window mode, it's just not good... i think id software uses a abnormally high graphic program. Even on low settings it looked like half life 2 on high So, don't download that 5xx Mb for the demo that doesn't work if you own a MacBook or a Mac Mini

-> Runs lovely, High Settings, High Window, Runs very nice and is a very nice game i'll be buying this i think

(Same as ET with Axis and Allies) And you have to kill each other Being a human though is very hard I recommend this game for people who want to play a very nice free game online!

-> Does not run very nice, it lags ! it's almost inplayable on ROSETTA. For those interested, they have announced the universal binary for the game, so expect to see it some day If that comes out, you can be certain to have a nice playable game!

-> Runs like crap, you can walk nice around but when it comes to action, it's totally not playable! At least on the belgian servers which has lag sometimes though so i will test this again on any server people give me it this topic, that they know don't have lag all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewion
Update:

Minions of Mirth (Native Windows Bootcamp)
-> Runs even better then the universal native osx game. You can put everything on high, highest window mode and still play at very good fps. Definitly something bootcamp-users must try out!

Age of Empires III (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Runs great, as long as you put shader detail low (because otherwise there are some graphic issues), you can put everything else on high. it's recommend to put everything on medium and have water reflections off in a world with much water stuff. Also i recommend to not set bloom, as i see no difference and it gives more performance. Great game, definitly try it out

Age of Empires III - The WarChiefs (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Same as Above, Runs great as long as you keep my recommend settings.

Enemy Territory (Native Windows Bootcamp Full)
-> Runs lovely, everything high! Highest window mode,... It's a great game. But i do wonder where the arena 51 servers are... can't seem to find them Skynet servers rule though Happy gaming!!!

F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Runs Good - Great, it autodetects high, but i recommend to set it medium.
Keep the window mode at 800*600 and you will be Great! Very nice demo.

Warcraft III - Reign of Chaos (Native OsX Rosetta! Full)
-> Runs very good, although you play it under the rosetta engine, it really gives it worth a play. It runs great at high settings! So if you're a little short on hard disk space, and you would really like this game without having to go under bootcamp, install it under osx and you'll see how great the rosetta engine handles this one.

Warcraft III - Reign of Chaos (Native Windows Bootcamp Full)
-> Works blazingly fast... if u want to play this game, go on, it's very nice and it's sooooooo fast on the macbook....

Update!!!!!
Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne (Native Windows Bootcamp Full)
-> Idem the above ... works like it should be..

Postal 2 (Native OsX Universal Full)
-> I will post my results when installed

coday182
Nov 5, 2006, 11:29 AM
it would be so nice to be able to go to my gaming friends house with just my macbook in my bag and be able to play against him anywhere in his house.

lewion
Nov 5, 2006, 03:30 PM
it would be so nice to be able to go to my gaming friends house with just my macbook in my bag and be able to play against him anywhere in his house.

Uhm... You can... Ever heard of wireless lan? (If i misunderstood ur sayings, please say so)

gathaar
Nov 5, 2006, 04:22 PM
take ur time ;-), i appreciate it that you're testing so many games and share ur experiences with us. I also like the games u're testing. it's totally my style of games. Looking forward for list-updates =)

Now i'm playing this game to kill some time :
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/priston_tale/screenshots.html?id=3
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/priston_tale/screenshots.html?id=4
screens are from beta testing 3.5 years ago ... well graphs didn't get much better,but the menu's and events became nicer =p

@lewion : Ben aan mijn eerste studentenjaartje geneeskunde bezig, 18 jaar dus ^^

ichii
Nov 6, 2006, 05:44 AM
Phantasy Star Universe-works
Macbook 1.83ghz 512mb Ram
Windowed mode 800x600
Framerate-skip set to 2

lewion
Nov 6, 2006, 11:04 AM
take ur time ;-), i appreciate it that you're testing so many games and share ur experiences with us. I also like the games u're testing. it's totally my style of games. Looking forward for list-updates =)

Now i'm playing this game to kill some time :
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/priston_tale/screenshots.html?id=3
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/priston_tale/screenshots.html?id=4
screens are from beta testing 3.5 years ago ... well graphs didn't get much better,but the menu's and events became nicer =p

@lewion : Ben aan mijn eerste studentenjaartje geneeskunde bezig, 18 jaar dus ^^
Ha tof, ik ben ook 18... misschien moeten we met zen 2 eens initiatief neme voor een macbook lan party... ik ken al behoorlijk wat mensen met macbooks en mac mini's... ideetje?

Btw, priston tale is a nice game :) Anyone else here from belgium playing MoM?

Have Fun!

SMacDuff
Nov 6, 2006, 04:39 PM
I have just installed Guild Wars: Nightfall on the Windows side of my Boot Camped Macbook 2.0Ghz w/ 2GB RAM and it works great. Just so you all know. Fantastic game by the way.my first venture into online gameplay and first Guild Wars game.

gathaar
Nov 7, 2006, 02:39 AM
man all these games and their big sizes, I'm gonna buy an external HD of 250-320 GB. I hate to delete older games to install new ones. :mad:

lewion
Nov 7, 2006, 09:30 AM
I have just installed Guild Wars: Nightfall on the Windows side of my Boot Camped Macbook 2.0Ghz w/ 2GB RAM and it works great. Just so you all know. Fantastic game by the way.my first venture into online gameplay and first Guild Wars game.

is there a guild wars demo? if not i go buy this tommorow ! :) thx for the info

gathaar
Nov 7, 2006, 10:28 AM
http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/793/xx/0-132/101/9/criteresn.html

I'm gonna buy the first one of the list.
Or the 320Gb version or the second one (freecom) ==> http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/793/xx/0-132/101/9/criteresn_BA00000120-BV00040084.html

I think 100€ for a 250GB HD isn't that much. I've seen 60GB drives of 120€ :)

lewion
Nov 7, 2006, 12:22 PM
http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/793/xx/0-132/101/9/criteresn.html

I'm gonna buy the first one of the list.
Or the 320Gb version or the second one (freecom) ==> http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/793/xx/0-132/101/9/criteresn_BA00000120-BV00040084.html

I think 100€ for a 250GB HD isn't that much. I've seen 60GB drives of 120€ :)

Dude u should buy the western digital.... I've had problems with freecom before, i still have a broken 200gb HD external laying here because freecom couldn't do anything about it. Definitly buy the Western Digital one.. BTW that's exactly the same hd that i will be buying.

Al nagedacht over die lan party?

SMacDuff
Nov 7, 2006, 03:12 PM
is there a guild wars demo? if not i go buy this tommorow ! :) thx for the info

No, no demo...only some preview films at the official website. It's definitely worth the money! I absolutely love it.

WillMak
Nov 7, 2006, 10:03 PM
The original Counter Strike would probably run okay – I've been meaning to grab the collection of CS games at Wal-mart, so if you don't mind waiting a few days I can try those for you.

RUN JUST OKAY!?!?!?!?!? The original counterstrike runs perfect on a macbook! Of course this doesn't mean much since I use to play that game on a 300 mhz celeron 64 MB system ram and a Voodoo II 16mb card with great FPS...if it ran anything less than pefect on a macbook it would be embarassing.

jim08
Dec 18, 2006, 10:05 AM
Hi, i've just ordered a 2G 2M 160 HD Macbook, i'd kind of given up hope of being able to play games on it, but from previous posts its sounds like i've got a chance. My first mac so i'm a little wet behind the ears but i understand i need bootcamp and windows to play games on mac. Type of games i wish to pla would be Pro Evoltiuon Soccer 6 and Splinter cell probably. What do you reckon, do i have a good chance and is this the best way of going about it. Cheers for any help

mcmadhatter
Dec 18, 2006, 10:51 AM
Homeworld two (OSX version) works great
iConquer (UB) works great
RCT3 (OSX version) is a pile of poo
RCT3 (XP Bootcamp) runs ok

aholden12592
Dec 18, 2006, 11:38 AM
Type of games i wish to pla would be Pro Evoltiuon Soccer 6 and Splinter cell probably.

Which splinter cell?

jim08
Dec 20, 2006, 02:06 PM
Which splinter cell?

The new one is it 4 double agent

Hicks.
Dec 20, 2006, 02:12 PM
actually, you can with oldblivion: www.oldblivion.com

it works with my pc with geforce 4 ti!

Being a complete newb.... what is olblivion!?

Frank the Tank
Dec 20, 2006, 03:38 PM
Anyone tried the original Splinter Cell on Bootcamp?

The game seems to run fine, but I get this intermittent slowdown (non-FPS related) every once in a while that makes it feel like I'm running through syrup.

Anyone else had this kind of issue? This seems to be the only game so far I've tried with this problem...

Juz
Dec 22, 2006, 06:22 PM
has anybody managed to get need for speed carbon to work? i'm running xp via bootcamp on a macbook 2ghz c2d with 1gb ram, and it just briefly flashes a black screen then crashes back to the desktop when i try starting it. i've tried both 1.0 and patching up to 1.3 without any joy.

i find it very strange, because it's a recent 3d game by ea - and at the same time fifa '07 works like a charm!

mikeyPotg
Dec 24, 2006, 04:32 PM
heroes of might & magic 5 worked really well.
rollercoaster tycoon was great.
also, warhammer dawn of war worked quite well.

gathaar
Dec 26, 2006, 06:07 AM
@mikeypotg how did u manage to run that gameheroes of might n magic V? I asked a game developper what to do. He said :
"Update.

There is a divide by zero created on the chipset found in the MacBook and MacMini. Updating to the latest H5 will fix this windows side. This has already been ironed out so the Mac version won't have this problem."

Anyways tell me how u did it plz ^^

mikeyPotg
Dec 26, 2006, 08:43 AM
@mikeypotg how did u manage to run that gameheroes of might n magic V? I asked a game developper what to do. He said :
"Update.

There is a divide by zero created on the chipset found in the MacBook and MacMini. Updating to the latest H5 will fix this windows side. This has already been ironed out so the Mac version won't have this problem."

Anyways tell me how u did it plz ^^

Hey, I installed the game on Windows mode (via boot camp). Also, I don't think I updated it, though I'm not certain. The game has run very smoothly.

I also installed the expansion and that has run relatively problem free. However, there has been a couple issues where the game shut off on me and gave me an error. This usually happened during a battle. I stopped playing after that, but perhaps there has been some new patches to fix this?

Good luck!

gathaar
Dec 26, 2006, 02:11 PM
Thx, I'll try to reinstall it asap. maybe it was a problem with my old bootcamp, dunno :)

PS: Happy Newyear !!! ^_^

lonestriker
Dec 27, 2006, 10:47 PM
I could get Battlefield 2142 running smoothly on my 17" iMac (running at 2GHz with 1GB of memory) on all HIGH settings and AA at 2x. :D :D

Well, an iMac is similar enough to a Macbook. :p

mgmktx
Dec 28, 2006, 01:41 AM
I could get Battlefield 2142 running smoothly on my 17" iMac (running at 2GHz with 1GB of memory) on all HIGH settings and AA at 2x. :D :D

Well, an iMac is similar enough to a Macbook. :p

No its not. A Macbook is roughly the same as a Mac mini in terms of GPU (Intel GMA950) and a Macbook Pro would be similar to an iMac (ATI X1600).

amnesiak
Dec 29, 2006, 01:55 AM
has anybody managed to get need for speed carbon to work? i'm running xp via bootcamp on a macbook 2ghz c2d with 1gb ram, and it just briefly flashes a black screen then crashes back to the desktop when i try starting it. i've tried both 1.0 and patching up to 1.3 without any joy.

i find it very strange, because it's a recent 3d game by ea - and at the same time fifa '07 works like a charm!

i'd like to know too

KiDo
Dec 31, 2006, 03:02 AM
just bought guild wars, runs like a charm on my black macbook 2Ghz 2GB ram (core duo 1st gen)

Mac'Mo
Dec 31, 2006, 05:38 PM
tried WC3 on my MB and it's playable on Bnet but not very smooth or fluid (as it is on my pC)

KiDo
Dec 31, 2006, 10:02 PM
WC3 runs perfect on windows here.

eXan
Dec 31, 2006, 10:52 PM
tried WC3 on my MB and it's playable on Bnet but not very smooth or fluid (as it is on my pC)

Rosetta... or slow connection :D

jorradisio
Jan 1, 2007, 02:52 PM
Interesting stuff to know.

freakinmusket
Jan 1, 2007, 05:04 PM
Has anybody gotten joint operations to run on a 1099 macbook

mpacsam
Jan 7, 2007, 06:28 PM
Being a complete newb.... what is olblivion!?

that what i use to run oblivion on my macbook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3fil4ZzQnc

lewion
Jan 11, 2007, 11:07 AM
Is guild wars nightfall on a macbook any good??

Just askin cause i wanna buy the collectors edition tommorow...

Mac'Mo
Jan 11, 2007, 11:10 AM
WC3 runs perfect on windows here.

Under boot camp?

Rosetta... or slow connection :D

I ono i played WC3 natively on OSX and its not my connection because its fine on my desktop and they're both hooked wirelessly to my router

KiDo
Jan 11, 2007, 11:44 AM
Is guild wars nightfall on a macbook any good??

Just askin cause i wanna buy the collectors edition tommorow...

runs great, at least with me, bought prophecies bout two weeks ago, bought factions yesterday, both run great, and nightfall runs good too, not on highest, but nu framedrop at all not even in the bigger citys, im buying nightfall myself when i got my factions build done and titled, maybe ill see ya around on GW.

as for the question about WC3, yes, under bootcamp, i only use paralels for ubuntu and vista.

eXan
Jan 11, 2007, 06:34 PM
I ono i played WC3 natively on OSX and its not my connection because its fine on my desktop and they're both hooked wirelessly to my router

Then it must be Rosetta.

lewion
Jan 12, 2007, 01:57 AM
runs great, at least with me, bought prophecies bout two weeks ago, bought factions yesterday, both run great, and nightfall runs good too, not on highest, but nu framedrop at all not even in the bigger citys, im buying nightfall myself when i got my factions build done and titled, maybe ill see ya around on GW.

as for the question about WC3, yes, under bootcamp, i only use paralels for ubuntu and vista.

what settings do i have to use to play guildwars nightfall fluently?
just give me your settings :D

Then it must be Rosetta.

In that case it is rosetta... WC3 isnt universal! under rosetta it plays but really not that good...

saikyan
Jan 12, 2007, 04:36 PM
has anyone tried Age of Empires III in OS X?

Good to know it runs in Windows, but if it runs just as well in OS X...

KiDo
Jan 13, 2007, 04:57 AM
what settings do i have to use to play guildwars nightfall fluently?
just give me your settings :D

i have it all on medium, and it works like a charm, but when you get in citys as droknars forge or the other major citys it runs a bit slower, but i think everyone has that.

lordjonny
Jan 13, 2007, 05:33 AM
Age of empires 3 runs extremely well on macbook 2.0 Ghz, 2Gb ram. Played every single version of aoe on various computers through the years and gameplay is perfect on standard settings and max resolution.

KiDo
Jan 13, 2007, 05:50 AM
Age of empires 3 runs extremely well on macbook 2.0 Ghz, 2Gb ram. Played every single version of aoe on various computers through the years and gameplay is perfect on standard settings and max resolution.

on windows? coz i tried it on macosx but it runs like crap.

caligula357
Jan 13, 2007, 12:21 PM
Doom3 played on MacBook video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC5ST9VHcnk

CoD2 played on MacBook video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCQu1oskiv0

Quake3 played on MacBook video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXW6hniwMMM

Half-Life2 played on MacBook video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jtiTDwADSI

Oblivion played on MacBook video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3fil4ZzQnc

NFSU MOST WANTED played on MacBook http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otZ0bjl9RJg&NR

GTA SA played on MacBook http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmxB39EvE1g

:D

lewion
Jan 13, 2007, 01:04 PM
i have it all on medium, and it works like a charm, but when you get in citys as droknars forge or the other major citys it runs a bit slower, but i think everyone has that.

Bought it, I play it online almost all settings on high and highest screen mode.... Runs like WOOOOOOOOHOOO fast ... Dude what ram do you have 512? I have 1Gb and i must say whawhy :p it runs like i thought it would never run :D I'm totally happy :p

eXan
Jan 13, 2007, 08:33 PM
Doom3 played on MacBook video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC5ST9VHcnk

CoD2 played on MacBook video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCQu1oskiv0

Quake3 played on MacBook video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXW6hniwMMM

Half-Life2 played on MacBook video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jtiTDwADSI

:D

:eek: MacBook runs CoD2 much better than my iMac does!!

It seems that this game is very CPU-intensive.

I noticed this earlier too, when I first got my copy of CoD2 - it runs at absolutely the same frame rate at 800x500 everything low and 1440x900 everything Max (except Renderer that was set to medium).

KiDo
Jan 14, 2007, 12:10 PM
Bought it, I play it online almost all settings on high and highest screen mode.... Runs like WOOOOOOOOHOOO fast ... Dude what ram do you have 512? I have 1Gb and i must say whawhy :p it runs like i thought it would never run :D I'm totally happy :p

black macbook CD2ghz 2GB ram, but i never even tried playing on highest, i just let it be on medium, its about gameplay to me.. great game might wanna add me as Kido N L we can team up or something :)

amfr
Jan 15, 2007, 07:51 PM
Macbook c2d 2.0 ghz, 1 gb ram
OS X:
Civ IV (demo):
Very choppy, even on lowest settings
WC3 TFT:
Low rez, but high settings and works perfectly
WoW:
Works on lowest settings, but gets choppy if I turn up terrain distance or rez
Windows:
CS: CZ
Runs perfect on highest settings

Jan 15, 2007, 07:54 PM
I have read a lot of people complain about how this game plays on the MacBook. But as far as I have played, with all set to high, the game is smooth, very smooth.

And by the way, this thread is great, it shows how the MB GMA 950 isn't that bad. I mean, I have been able to play all the games I wanted, obviously some aren't that smooth, but it's OK in general.:)

Roco,

eXan
Jan 16, 2007, 01:43 AM
I have read a lot of people complain about how this game plays on the MacBook. But as far as I have played, with all set to high, the game is smooth, very smooth.

And by the way, this thread is great, it shows how the MB GMA 950 isn't that bad. I mean, I have been able to play all the games I wanted, obviously some aren't that smooth, but it's OK in general.:)

Roco,

Heh, "isnt that bad"?

MacBook runs UT2004 (for example) 2x slower than my almost 2-year-old iMac (with a 3.5 year old CPU and even older GPU) does. :rolleyes:

iW00t
Jan 16, 2007, 01:46 AM
I tried Civ IV and it plays somewhat decently on minimum resolution with minimum graphics detail.

:mad:

lewion
Jan 16, 2007, 10:07 AM
black macbook CD2ghz 2GB ram, but i never even tried playing on highest, i just let it be on medium, its about gameplay to me.. great game might wanna add me as Kido N L we can team up or something :)

First thing i will do tonight is add you :D
is that N L refering to NL as in NetherLands? Cuz then it would be cool.. i Live in Be...

Claven2
Jan 16, 2007, 12:10 PM
Anyone know if the CivIV expansion pack, Warlords, will run on the macbook?

CivIV the vanilla original version runs fine on my macbook despite a polite note from Aspyr every time I boot the game informing me the machine doesn't meet the specs due to the intel GMA950 chipset. with everything set to medium settings it runs as smooth as the version installed on my gaming PC.

the Aspyr website specifically says that Warlords won't run on the Intel 950, but the documentation for CivIV original said the same thing and it runs fine.

Anyone tried Warlords on a macbook? Did it work at all?

I'm running 1.83G C2D w. 1.25g ram.

bassy6
Jan 20, 2007, 08:34 AM
How do you guys check how many FPS you get?

eXan
Jan 20, 2007, 08:42 AM
How do you guys check how many FPS you get?

This depends on a game :)

bassy6
Jan 20, 2007, 05:31 PM
How do you check the FPS for UT 2004?

quigleybc
Jan 20, 2007, 09:39 PM
I love this thread

it's so helpful

thanks for creating it and those posting to it..

:)

eXan
Jan 21, 2007, 12:04 AM
How do you check the FPS for UT 2004?

Open console (press ~ key) and type:

stat fps

bassy6
Jan 21, 2007, 10:48 AM
Open console (press ~ key) and type:

stat fps

What console do you mean in utilities? cause I still don't know how to check the FPS for UT2004.

Oh never mind I figured it out. Thanks for your help.

darrenemo
Jan 22, 2007, 12:28 AM
Have any of you guys tried running macbook games while your macbook was in clamshell mode (lid closed) while running to an external monitor?

I played q3 without my external monitor a few days ago and it ran well--but when i tried earlier today I was having some issues.

Additionally, if I upgrade my ram, will this boost my performance in this external display setup?

Thanks in advance

bassy6
Jan 22, 2007, 07:38 AM
Hey I wanted to know if anyone can give me advice on where to buy the cheapest ram (2gb preferably) in the UK......Oh! and has anyone ever experienced a fault in there macbook were "when I play a new game for the first time like Halo on full screen it comes on then my macbook goes dim and I can't see the picture but I hear the sound of the game. It's really annoying cause to get the picture back I have to restart the laptop or hold f1 and then f2 to get the screen picture back. I just want to know if this is a fault of the laptop so I can take it back to the store and have it looked at or if its something I'm doing. This has been going on for quite some time but I haven't had time to get it looked at as I've been in hospital so would really like to hear some feedback. THANKS!!!!!!!

bassy6
Jan 24, 2007, 06:21 AM
hey all you peeps who want to know how quake 4 runs on a macbook. Well heres your answer. I just downloaded the demo and I used snapz pro to see how the fps are. I got 9 fps. Keep in mind that while running an application like snapz pro it uses up the ram aswell. So Quake 4 was playable on my macbook which was ok but not great. Oh here's something that will please you all, I only have 512mb of ram so if I got 9 fps while running snapz pro which takes away some ram just think what you can get with 1 gb of ram or even 2gb ram. And keep in mind you won't be running snapz pro while playing only if you want to test the fps yourselves.

p.s.

if you get at least 20 -30 fps the game will run well. PEACE OUT!!!!!! oh I still need someone to answer my previous question.

player1
Jan 26, 2007, 01:11 AM
I bought the $1299 model.
White MacBook 13.3" 80GB w/SuperDrive
2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.4.8
Broadband:5600+ kbps according to SpeedTest

The only thing I've installed (besides recommended upgrades) has been the AirPort software. I haven't installed the iWork, AppleCare, Parallels, Windows XP or Office:mac that I bought yet. Soon.

I'm interested in running FPS games. I played and enjoyed Unreal, Starsiege, Tribes (loved the Renegades mod), Unreal Tournament, Quake3Arena, Deus Ex, Tribes2, & Return to Castle Wolfenstein on my old PC. I also like Halo & Halo2. Hell, I even played Quake2 on a PlayStation. I plan on upgrading to 2 GB SDRAM, almost immediately.

Several questions.

Online play via AirPort or plugged directly to the cable modem?

In general: Bootcamp or Parallels?

Follow-up question: Please state why.

Do games run better in OS X or Windows XP?

Again, if you could explain why, it would be greatly appreciated.

Should I just spend the $400 I "saved" by not getting a 15" MacBook Pro on a console?

Some games I'm interested in trying on my MacBook: Quake4, Doom3, Halo (Halo2?), UT2k4.

Some free games I've heard about: Starsiege:Tribes (played for years on my old PII/350MHz+dial-up), Tremulous, Sauerbraten, Warsow, America's Army.

If anyone can speak to ease of installation, ease of use, gameplay, framerate, community, or related topics for the Mac newbie and part-time gamer with equal interest in singleplayer and multiplayer, I would enjoy hearing from you.

Thank you.

PlayerOne
old, unhip & decidely out-of-touch:confused: :apple:

KiDo
Jan 26, 2007, 01:41 AM
Online play via AirPort or plugged directly to the cable modem? i play on airport, works perfect, no need for cables ;)

In general: Bootcamp or Parallels? bootcamp definatly

Follow-up question: Please state why. paralels doesnt support 3d, and native is always better then emulated

Do games run better in OS X or Windows XP? my guess is better in XP.

Again, if you could explain why, it would be greatly appreciated. because of directX, at least, halo and WoW run better on my XP than on my OSX partition

Should I just spend the $400 I "saved" by not getting a 15" MacBook Pro on a console? you could, wether you want to play on a cosole or on a pc, it's what you like most, if you go for a console, take a 360

Some games I'm interested in trying on my MacBook: Quake4, Doom3, Halo (Halo2?), UT2k4. quake 4 runs ok on osx, havent tested on windows, doom 3 the same, halo runs good on OSX, better on windows, UT2K4 runs great, on both systems

Some free games I've heard about: Starsiege:Tribes (played for years on my old PII/350MHz+dial-up), Tremulous, Sauerbraten, Warsow, America's Army. check if they are UB, if they are, they might be playable

for the rest, i just downloaded prey demo, runs good, put all on low and it plays perfect

Haoshiro
Jan 26, 2007, 10:28 AM
That's basically what I did, sold my PC and bought an iMac and a 360.

That $400 you saved yourself cost you a dedicated graphics chip, the MacBook Pro is FAR superiour to the MacBook for gaming.

UT2K4 runs great in OS X with the universal patch, as does Wolfenstein 3D, Quake 3, and more recently Warcraft III (which seems to run best in OS X).

You'll definitely want to play games in Boot Camp, Parallels is far to slow in comparison, although it's great for firing up the odd windows app now and then (for me, that's testing in IE).

Nitromaster
Jan 26, 2007, 11:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (NokiaN70-1/2.0539.1.2 Series60/2.8 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Any one try any nintendo 64 emulators on a mac book?

bassy6
Jan 27, 2007, 07:17 AM
Hello people can anyone answer question or what? Thanks Oh! and by the way which windows xp SP2 do you buy, theres so many. Full version or just the plan disc or any. Thanks......a lot.

QCassidy352
Jan 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
I have read a lot of people complain about how this game [civ iv] plays on the MacBook. But as far as I have played, with all set to high, the game is smooth, very smooth.

Civ IV absolutely does not pla smoothly on macbook with everything set to high. I play it on mine at 1024x768, all graphics set to low, and it's very smooth at first, and horribly choppy late game. If you think what you're seeing is smooth, try it on a machine with a real GPU. Heck, it even kills my gf's intel imac late game when graphics options are turned up.

johnblaze00
Jan 29, 2007, 02:37 PM
hi, i jusg signed up and i would like to add under bootcamp, NHL, Madden and Fifa 07 run awesome. I have the game using high setting (except madden, some things are set to medium like crowd and side line detail) all under 1024x768. Love the thread guys. Oh yeah, my specs are 2ghz Core 2, 1 gig of ram

Jan 29, 2007, 06:18 PM
Civ IV absolutely does not pla smoothly on macbook with everything set to high. I play it on mine at 1024x768, all graphics set to low, and it's very smooth at first, and horribly choppy late game. If you think what you're seeing is smooth, try it on a machine with a real GPU. Heck, it even kills my gf's intel imac late game when graphics options are turned up.

I am running it trough BootCamp, not sure if there is a difference.

I was surprised of it running at everything high, but I checked and re-cheked and it is indeed in everything high. Also, I play in Standard size maps, from beggining to end (2050 AC), and it runs smooth at all times.

Roco,:)

jakeguy99
Jan 30, 2007, 11:23 AM
1.WoW runs very well, even raids have minimal lag on a 1.83ghz w/ 1GB ram
2.Call of Duty 2 runs well, but you can tell a difference between faster computers since they can shoot faster, it is playable and still fun even though aspyr does not support the MB.
3. Prey sucks in general, graphics were maxed out and it still looked bad. with random lag in interesting places.

So far those are the games i have tested, overall the performance has been decent, but the integrated chip really hurts us on gaming. The best way to go is the macbook pro with the good video cards.

KiDo
Jan 31, 2007, 10:48 AM
3. Prey sucks in general, graphics were maxed out and it still looked bad. with random lag in interesting places.

i dont know WHY you try to play it on highest settings, but it runs perfect on low, and it still looks good, i'm quite surprised this runs so good considering it is a next gen game. got no lag at all here, not in multiprey either (maybe you played the demo? i have the full version)

as for civIV, it runs far better under bootcamp thn under osx here, so it probably is the directX openGL or just a bad port, wich happens alot i guess, CoD2 runs better on windows here too, so does WoW and almost any other game i tried of wich i have both versions.