PDA

View Full Version : Apple + 50 Cent = Affordable Inner-City Mac?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 19, 2006, 01:19 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Hip hop artist 50 Cent is in talks with Apple about a 50-cent branded Mac that is affordable for inner-city residents according to Forbes (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1824) (summary by AppleInsider).

"[Jobs] is setting a new standard in the music business," said 50's manager, Chris Lighty. "Let's just say we get each other."

No technical or pricing details are given, but one can assume that the price will be more than $.50.

SPUY767
Jun 19, 2006, 01:22 PM
I personally don't like the idea of Apple associating itself with a vendor of Hip-Hop rubbish such as $0.50. Apple has a reputation as a good company with good values. $0.50's values are, shall we say, unproven.

Mike Teezie
Say it ain't so. I'm hip to the idea itself, but 50 Cent?

DOUGHNUT
Apple and ghetto-ness don't really add up. I really can't imagine a Mac with the G-Unit logo slapped on the side

dynamicd
Sounds like it could be promising if they can market it effectively. Will it be bullet-proof? Fifty's been shot somewhere around 9 times or so already ;)

Frozone
Jun 19, 2006, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure 50-Cent is exactly the best role model, but if it helps folks, then I guess it can't be that bad.

icloud
Jun 19, 2006, 01:25 PM
I dont think the gun-busting, cap-popping, chillin and grilling, rap swinging and lyric grinding gangsta would appreciate a mac...

just a thought though

Tanglewood
Jun 19, 2006, 01:25 PM
Sounds like it could be promising if they can market it effectively. Will it be bullet-proof? Fifty's been shot somewhere around 9 times or so already ;)

Coming at MacWorld Paris the new Kevlar iMac.

Capt Underpants
Jun 19, 2006, 01:27 PM
Apple wouldn't stoop that low!

Would they?

fenixx
Jun 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
God forbid we actually acknowledge the concept by Mac & 50 Cent...

(Let's just bash on rap music and other topics of our ignorance)

:|

bdkennedy1
Jun 19, 2006, 01:30 PM
Just because he said he's talked to Apple doesn't mean that Apple is talking back. Never gonna happen yo.

gerbilbox
Jun 19, 2006, 01:31 PM
Some of you are forgetting the main point. I am not a fan of 50-Cent myself, but if this materializes this would be a very good thing. A Mac program for those in the inner-city / low-income? They'll need the assistance.

Alex

Mac_Freak
Jun 19, 2006, 01:32 PM
I wonder if the fans will have any spinners on them :D
Will it be called "pimpMac"?

crazycat
Jun 19, 2006, 01:34 PM
I am not intrested in buying a 50 cent mac to be honest, i just cant see it.

QCassidy352
Jun 19, 2006, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure 50-Cent is exactly the best role model, but if it helps folks, then I guess it can't be that bad.

right. Forget that it's 50 cent... getting low cost macs to people who otherwise could not afford a computer would be a great thing for a number of reasons.

Heb1228
Jun 19, 2006, 01:35 PM
I kind of like the idea. Say what you want about the rap music industry, I have to believe that most of the people that really succeed in it are probably a lot smarter than than images they carve out for themselves. And I have to think that many of them are pretty good at the business side of things as well. Who knows, I could be way off, but that's the impression I get.

right. Forget that it's 50 cent... getting low cost macs to people who otherwise could not afford a computer would be a great thing for a number of reasons.
And I really agree with this point as well.

p0intblank
Jun 19, 2006, 01:36 PM
Hm, so this is a bit weird. I simply voted Positive because it would mean another Mac is in the lineup. The more Macs, the better I say. :) But a 50 Cent branded Mac? This seems a bit... odd. All we can do is wait, though.

(I don't see this happening, by the way. Perhaps an iPod, but a Mac?)

Dreadnought
Jun 19, 2006, 01:37 PM
Da GhettoMac! :D

lexus
Jun 19, 2006, 01:37 PM
Please No, It Will Be The Ugliest Thing Ever!!!

aricher
Jun 19, 2006, 01:38 PM
Hand cranked Mac? Don't think so.

Josh
Jun 19, 2006, 01:39 PM
My bet is a 50-cent style iPod, similar to the U2 iPod.

Anything more would be really amazing though.

commonpeople
Jun 19, 2006, 01:40 PM
Finally, a computer for African Americans. Can we also have a jewBook endorsed by Woody Allen? Or how about the original 'white' iBook endorsed by Steve Martin?

killuminati
Jun 19, 2006, 01:41 PM
Wow.

No.

Please No.

God No.

Demon Hunter
Jun 19, 2006, 01:41 PM
In the words of Joseph Conrad:

"The horror, the horror."

gauriemma
Jun 19, 2006, 01:44 PM
Hmmm...Reminds me of the fake 'Britney to Namibia' story from Pugbus.net last week. This has "Onion" article written all over it.

JBazz
Jun 19, 2006, 01:44 PM
Some of you are forgetting the main point. I am not a fan of 50-Cent myself, but if this materializes this would be a very good thing. A Mac program for those in the inner-city / low-income? They'll need the assistance.

Alex

This is only what HE is saying. The deal is a "branding" deal only. It has NOTHING to do with bringing computers to inner cities.

I swear if apple does this, they are as big a sell out as fiddy pennies. I am NOT "dissing" rap or hip hop, just this ignorant, foul mouthed, drug dealing, ex-con, lying PIMP.

nihilisticmonk
Jun 19, 2006, 01:45 PM
My god...

First the partnership with nike, then the sweatshop allegations, now teaming up with "da tru pimp and gangsta fo sho...bizzy hizzy wizzy tizzy snizzy" and all that garbage....

My god......my dear god.....:eek:

What's it gonna be, the G-50 (gangsta)

WeBleed4Real
Jun 19, 2006, 01:46 PM
Finally, a computer for African Americans. Can we also have a jewBook endorsed by Woody Allen? Or how about the original 'white' iBook endorsed by Steve Martin?

Yes. All good ideas. And I'm sure the 50 cent Mac will come in BLACK.

gauriemma
Jun 19, 2006, 01:47 PM

Actualy, the 'white' iBook would more appropriately be endorsed by Martin Mull, author (and host) of "The History of White People in America."

Mord
Jun 19, 2006, 01:48 PM
a black mini would kick ass.

princealfie
sweet, I would get it if it were affordable. I dig it brother! :cool:

Eidorian
Do Not Want

Macnoviz
Jun 19, 2006, 01:51 PM
Well, mister Cent, if you wanna make it in this business, then stay of the doopie !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhWToF1u8sA

Core Solo, think Mac Mini + 15/17 inch screen and keyboard/mouse like
Integrated graphics
40 Gb Hard Drive
iTunes preloaded with 50 cent collection
512 RAM
<$500?

just my 2 (not 50) cents

funkycheesywhit
Jun 19, 2006, 01:51 PM
I don't think so...bad rumor this is...apple would never stoop so low to distribute a great product under the name of such a bad product

Mord
Jun 19, 2006, 01:52 PM

now i have rice all over my keyboard, thanks allot. :p

Gasu E.
This is absolutely true. I know they have already agreed to a joint venture to be called "Blapple" (logo: a silhouette Apple with a bullet hole through it). These will be sold out of Blapple stores, which will be just like an Apple store, except the front will have metal grillwork and the staff will be wholly Korean.

GFLPraxis
I hope not. 50 Cent disgusts me. This is the same guy that tried to encourage children to buy his M-rated game.

baleensavage
Jun 19, 2006, 01:54 PM
Apple wouldn't stoop that low!
Would they?
U2 iPod?
A kid singing an Eminem song in an iPod ad?

I think it's definitely possible.

iBrow
Jun 19, 2006, 01:56 PM
My bet is a 50-cent style iPod, similar to the U2 iPod.

Anything more would be really amazing though.

Exactly what i was thinking.

ReanimationLP
Duh-duh-duh-G-Unit! :P

Seriously though, his music sucks, hes a lousy rolemodel, and just seeing his logo on everything annoys the ******* outta me. I feel my IQ drop everytime I hear one of his songs.

FoxyKaye

Alex
Exactly - the digital divide is very real, we just don't see it play out much on MR. This could only be good, regardless of what folks think of 50-Cent.

gerbilbox
Jun 19, 2006, 01:57 PM
This is only what HE is saying. The deal is a "branding" deal only. It has NOTHING to do with bringing computers to inner cities.

I swear if apple does this, they are as big a sell out as fiddy pennies. I am NOT "dissing" rap or hip hop, just this ignorant, foul mouthed, drug dealing, ex-con, lying PIMP.

I did read the article, but I want to make it clear that to me the "affordable home computers for inner-city residents" line strikes me as much more interesting and important than the part about 50 Cents (who I don't like either, BTW).

It does indeed say branding, but the article says more than that.

TobyR
Jun 19, 2006, 01:58 PM
After years of just readign the MR forums this provoked me to register. And I willprobably draw flames…

I can not believe how bad this is. Regardless of the advert/branding deal… this thing would either be a huge technical POS or require subsidization at some level; either via Apple's margin or through this 50cent foundation.

Either way, I think it is a slap in the face to anyone in the inner city.

Toby

JackSYi
Jun 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
What??? I don't get it. Why would Apple think about a 50-cent "branded" low-cost computer?

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 02:00 PM
I'm no fan of 50-cent's music, but a lot of you seem to think he advocates what he sings in his songs. Remeber, he writes/sings them merely for the money, it doesn't mean he personally believes it. Among the rappers, I hold him in the highest esteem (though that's not saying much). If he intends to work with jobs to create a computer that the masses can afford, I'm all for it. Apple really could use more marketshare so we can see their latest patent files come to life.

If this is going to be some gold clad mac, with a tooth missing, I hope jobs passes.

iGary
Jun 19, 2006, 02:00 PM
Does it come with a 9mm?

AoWolf
Jun 19, 2006, 02:01 PM
Does it come with a 9mm?

.45 bia....err nvm

FixedGear
Jun 19, 2006, 02:02 PM
The ignorance in this thread is mind boggling.

baleensavage
Jun 19, 2006, 02:02 PM
Either way, I think it is a slap in the face to anyone in the inner city.
Right on. I can't think of anything that could be more degrading than a "ghetto" model computer. If 50 cent really wanted to help people in the inner city, he would set up some type of subsidy fund or grant program or something to help. But you can bet he wouldn't dip into his own pockets for something like that. No, he just sees $$$ or ¢¢¢ signs at the possibility of computer with his branding on it.

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 02:03 PM
Also, most of people on these forums are always preaching to reach out to the minorities, and snaps out at anyone who would say that Affirmitive Action is reverse racism.

When the another race strikes so close to home (macs) you all really show your true colors(no pun intended). What a bunch of bigots.

mark!
people are...sounding racist.

anyway, i like the idea. i dont care who it is. atleast he makes most of his own music, even while it is not good, i still respect him for atleast being real.

but i really don't think apple will make an ugly mac no matter what kind of artist they colab with to make a computer...(which makes no sense anyway)

what name would they call it htough?

iGary

So is 5o-cent's sudden interest in the inner city.

Have you even listened to a 50 Cent Album?

His name is racist in nature.

Josh
Jun 19, 2006, 02:06 PM

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Explain, please.

There is indeed an undertone of racism in this thread :(

narco
Jun 19, 2006, 02:06 PM
Great idea. With iLife, more specifically Garageband, and bundled with the $99 MIDI keyboard, a lot of young kids can create their own music. Making that dream more accessible will keep their minds of gangs and drugs and everyone will be happy.

Fishes,
narco.

ChrisA
Jun 19, 2006, 02:07 PM
Let's assume they do this right and do work to get a low cost Mac out that is NOT branded by the group's name or image. Apple would have to make a machine that did not compete with the full priced machines. It's really just the "eMac" comcept with could work.

Questions:

1) How best to get these machines into the target group of users? Do you sell them cheap or is it better to give them away to various schols and yought groups? I assume the latter.

2) how low can they get the price? If the machines are only to be given away then they can specialiize the machine to that environment. For example they could be "diskless" and boot their image off the network. This would cut down on Sys Admin cost and save maybe $80 or more from each mchine. Using a CRT based eMac like design could save even more. Such a design would make then unactractive to potential thieves too as the'd by usless without the server and to big to pocket. So they could be placed in less well supervised locations, making them even more accessable I'm thinking maybe a cost to build of $250 each.

johnmcboston
Jun 19, 2006, 02:07 PM
Well, love Macs the way I do....

Why come out with a low cost Mac when these $100 PCs are about to be distributed around the world. Couldn't 50 cent buy a million of these and just give them away?

(btw- who will pay the bigt internet bills for these low cost computers?)

puckhead193
Jun 19, 2006, 02:09 PM
G-G-G-G-G- UNIT!!!
Imagine that as the start up sound... lol
I too feel negatively about this. 50 cent should just give money to apple to buy mac mini's and end it

commonpeople
Jun 19, 2006, 02:09 PM
Also, most of people on these forums are always preaching to reach out to the minorities, and snaps out at anyone who would say that Affirmitive Action is reverse racism.

When the another race strikes so close to home (macs) you all really show your true colors(no pun intended). What a bunch of bigots.

I don't think so. I think most of us would be in favor of a low price Mac that could be bought by lower income families and possibly even subsidized. What rankles is the idea of the GhettoMac that's endorsed by a dubious HipHop star who's best known for the line 'Get Rich or Die Trying'. I think you'll find for instance that MR posters have a very favorable view of the famous 100 dollar laptop.

AoWolf
Jun 19, 2006, 02:11 PM

Any thread like this is going to provoke people to scream racism. People will spin it that way no matter what.

iGary
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Explain, please.

There is indeed an undertone of racism in this thread :(

Is it 50 cents or 50 cent?

geoffism
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. Maybe someone in the marketing department feels Apple is not getting enough street cred?

ijimk
Jun 19, 2006, 02:13 PM
I really doubt it will be 100 bucks. I am thinking it being more along the lines of 300-400 dollar cpu geared towards an educational machine. just my prediction.

50thVert
Jun 19, 2006, 02:13 PM
Taken from the linked article:

The negotiations between the rapper and Apple are for a "branding deal."

I'd damn near guarantee this "organization" isn't non-profit.

geoffism
Jun 19, 2006, 02:14 PM

It's 50 cent. But you are supposed to say it like "Fitty".

Maybe 50 is just looking for an new avenue to make up for lost revenue on his blockbuster movie? Sell it on iTunes for $.99?

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 02:15 PM
I don't think so. I think most of us would be in favor of a low price Mac that could be bought by lower income families and possibly even subsidized. What rankles is the idea of the GhettoMac that's endorsed by a dubious HipHop star who's best known for the line 'Get Rich or Die Trying'. I think you'll find for instance that MR posters have a very favorable view of the famous 100 dollar laptop.

Thing is, a computer that uses an image of Justin Long doesn't really appeal to the people that a 50 cent computer would appeal to.

Josh
Jun 19, 2006, 02:15 PM

In regards to racism, does it matter?

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 02:17 PM
Taken from the linked article:

The negotiations between the rapper and Apple are for a "branding deal."

I'd damn near guarantee this "organization" isn't non-profit.

Who gives a flip if it's not no-profit?? It's the end result that counts. Seeing how we haven't seen an end result I hardly think it's proper to condemn it for not being a non-profit organization.

The government is a not for profit orginzation, and look what results from that.:rolleyes:

billSB22
Jun 19, 2006, 02:18 PM
agreed

anyway, i like the idea. i dont care who it is. atleast he makes most of his own music, even while it is not good, i still respect him for atleast being real.

but i really don't think apple will make an ugly mac no matter what kind of artist they colab with to make a computer...(which makes no sense anyway)

what name would they call it though?
also agree

while he may have fallen off, you can't deny where he came from and how he's come up. i may not feel what he's doing currently, but he still get's my respect. most of you probably don't even know how it is in the inner city (notice i said most, not all).

iGary
Jun 19, 2006, 02:18 PM
In regards to racism, does it matter?

I'm not getting into this with you for the good of the thread. You know what I am talking about, please don't be obtuse about it. ;)

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 02:19 PM
I'm not getting into this with you for the good of the thread. You know what I am talking about, please don't be obtuse about it. ;)

I think the good of the thread is gone. People are using racism to condem this project, and it's just wrong. It'd be better if you explained yourself.

cyberfunk
Jun 19, 2006, 02:19 PM
Ugh, just what we need, the taint of rap/pop culture music on the mac. U2 was bad enough, but not this!!

Please say it aint so.

Storrow
Jun 19, 2006, 02:20 PM
50 cent glorifies getting shot at, apple will never do this, not even an ipod model.

A wanna see a Tribe Called Quest Mac. iTribe.

Josh
Jun 19, 2006, 02:21 PM

That's fine. But don't expect to imply that because it is '50 cent' and not '50 cents' that it is racist. That is ridiculous.

Slang and racism are not one and the same.

cyberfunk
Jun 19, 2006, 02:22 PM
I think the good of the thread is gone. People are using racism to condem this project, and it's just wrong. It'd be better if you explained yourself.

Lets see... Lets not associate our beloved mac with gangs/killing/ and a form of "music" that degrades women and basterdizes the english langauge ?

And yes, I've lived in the inner city, in Hartford, where life really is a ****hole sometimes, and I dont want the Mac brand associated with that in any way/shape or form.

eyehop
yo, reading these posts, there are sooo many Marie Antoinettes out there ;) Why would apple do this? Maybe because it's just the thing to do! Technology simply isn't in reach of sooo many, and bringing them in is probably good business/economy sense, especially long-term. I don't know how anyone can live not using the internet, but sooo many just have to. The next step, and probably just as important, is the access cost. 50 dollars to Comcast every month is a rip, and gas+electric comes first. This move would also bring a think-different, ethical punch to the marketplace for sure! The buzz would be phenomenal. Bring it on! :)

OK, and now for my mad version: Stop the sarcastic, hateful, idiotic references to drug containers and pimp machines. You oughta be ashamed. This isn't about branding a ghetto culture, it's about providing what people need and presently can't have. Associating this with some lyrics in .50 songs is just lame. Again, think different, please.

HGW
maybe its an empty ipod used to conceal drugs

e-clipse
Jun 19, 2006, 02:23 PM
50 Cent sucks! The get rich or die tryin' mentality further praises street life. This will be a sad day if 50 gets his name on a Mac machine. An iPod wouldn't be as bad. I don't like gangsta rappers and the ideals they represent.:mad:

Macnoviz
Jun 19, 2006, 02:24 PM
http://www.heise.de/bilder/64451/0/0

+

http://www.fayerwayer.com/archivo/2005/12/JonathanIve.jpg

+

http://entimg.msn.com/i/mu/0-10/50cent/50cent_300x298.jpg

EDIT: you guessed, it
=New Powerbooks Thuesday

(I know, I just couldn't resist

debrey
I would say this thread smacks more of ignorance of rap music than racism. I would say that rap is the most dynamic and exciting music right now. Most rappers are quite intelligent -- just listen to the lyrics (not to mention the musical genius that is foudn in the production, rythms, etc.). Of course some of it is rather bad, like 50 cent's, but then again there is bad pop music in every genre. As for the violence and sex -- we have lots of that in our movies, but we don't get mad at our action heroes. Rappers put on a persona -- that is part of the genre. Think of them like actors.

-- David

rog
Yeah we need more racist, homophobic, violence loving, anti-women bigots promoting Apple. I mean Rush just isn't enough.

The guy spent years terrorizing the black community as a drug dealing scum and has never repented or served hard time for it. Now he denigrates all black people and promotes the idea that criminals, violence, and rampant materialism is what black people should look up to. This scum should be in jail for many, many reasons, and it's appalling that anyone promotes this guy. If Apple starts paying him, I stop paying Apple.

storage
Jun 19, 2006, 02:25 PM
A lot of the people here need a reality check regarding hiphop culture.

e-clipse
Jun 19, 2006, 02:26 PM
I do know how it is in the hood, because it is 3 minutes down the street.

tehdee
Jun 19, 2006, 02:27 PM
the concept itself, of making computers more available, and more 'desirable' to inner city youth, is an interesting concept.

what could prevent this from materiaizing though, is why it needs to be dependent upon a name, especially 50 cents name (read: brand), being involved. why? attempting to infiltrate a readily targeted market (sprite, puff daddy's enterprising, and1, etc...) would be possible without aligning themselves with 50 cent. as someone mentioned earlier, it has the potential to be interpreted as a slap in the face, to 'the inner city'.

regardless, now that this idea is out there, though it may not materialize into anything yet... the idea is still out there now.

poppe
Jun 19, 2006, 02:27 PM
I just wish 50 Cent wasn't a mubling rapper... If he pronounced his words I might acctually like his stuff...

It'd be nice for a cheap end mac but no way would I buy it with a HUGE G over the Apple Symbol...

But of course this wasn't talking for me to buy because I'm not in the inner city. It'd be great if it brough inner city residents computers just wish it was't him... (though there really isn't many good rappers that are in the spot light as of right now).

cyberfunk
Jun 19, 2006, 02:31 PM

Yes, they do. They need to understand that hip-hop culture is not some "freeing" expression of indivuality as it's billed, but a way for a few people to get disgustingly rich glorifying uglyness. Its a way for these people to rise themselves out of the ghetto, tell the people they what ****** conditions they are in, and how they understand (while they drink their Crystal and ride in their beamers) and have the idiots lap it up and make them a folk hero.

Yes, hip-hop and rap, beacons of purity and personal expression. I'd choose to characterize the "art forms" as the epitome of scam as an art form. Not only that, but they glorify the scum of modern society. While hip-hop I'll agree has some redeeming qualities, rap is nothing other than a fundamentally deterimental influence on America proper. As such, I do not want to see it as part of an Apple product. Ads are fine (and even then, I feel a bit of twinge, but I understand the marketing aspect), but to validate the crap that is rap with an apple branded GhettoBox™ ? No thanks.

Windowlicker
Jun 19, 2006, 02:31 PM
"Shake that ass bitch."

Yeah, this would be really good for the image of Apple.

quigleybc
Jun 19, 2006, 02:32 PM
Instead of a Kernel Panic, this new Mac will shoot you.....

poppe
Did any one see the VH1 or MTV special on women in rap videos?

It was about how they are degraded on set, and one point they made was how women are tested out (sexualy) by the posse's of the head rapper. If they are deemed fit (sexualy) then the girl is passed on to the head rapper for none other than sexual acts.

Well back to the first question if you've seen it, did they talk about 50 cent on there? I can't remember...

e-clipse
Give me a RusselL Simmons Mac.

rog
Jun 19, 2006, 02:34 PM
Ya know, the vast majority of inner-city black people are good people just trying to get by in a world full of crime and poverty where people like 50-cent prey on their pain as thugs until they make it big. He's also a turncoat on his own people who praised the Prez after Katrina. If they want a hip-hop artist promoting their products, why not Kanye West? At least he actually cares about the lives of black people and to my knowledge did not spend his adolescence as a terrorist in his own community.

ericmooreart
Jun 19, 2006, 02:34 PM
I don't care much for his music but I give him props for looking out for inner city kids. As it stands now Apple is marketed to middle and upper class buyers.

How about a low end Mac mini - no wireless, no bluetooth, a cd burner/dvd reader, no remote. maybe even 512 ram max and cut the video ram in half. Just bare bones.

I was an inner city kid that had acces to a mac and it changed my life;)

Nastard
Jun 19, 2006, 02:35 PM
Yeah we need more racist, homophobic, violence loving, anti-women bigots promoting Apple. I mean Rush just isn't enough.

The guy spent years terrorizing the black community as a drug dealing scum and has never repented or served hard time for it. Now he denigrates all black people and promotes the idea that criminals, violence, and rampant materialism is what black people should look up to. This scum should be in jail for many, many reasons, and it's appalling that anyone promotes this guy. If Apple starts paying him, I stop paying Apple.

Of all the words you could have chosen, "denigrates" is quite possibly the most hilarious.

rog
Jun 19, 2006, 02:36 PM
Give me a RusselL Simmons Mac.

Heck give me a Richard Simmons Mac. Throw in some spandex shorts and I'd buy that before this 50-cent nonsense.

briansolomon
Jun 19, 2006, 02:36 PM
Whatever it does. It it's cheap enough I'd love to have a desktop Mac of some kind. I'd be willing to paint over any branding, too.

cyberfunk
Jun 19, 2006, 02:37 PM
I don't care much for his music but I give him props for looking out for inner city kids.

He's not looking out for inner city kids, he's looking out for his own pocket. If he cared, he'd donate some of his money back.

hyperpasta
Jun 19, 2006, 02:38 PM
This is absolutely not possible. It's a late April Fool's joke.

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 02:39 PM
Ya know, the vast majority of inner-city black people are good people just trying to get by in a world full of crime and poverty where people like 50-cent prey on their pain as thugs until they make it big. He's also a turncoat on his own people who praised the Prez after Katrina. If they want a hip-hop artist promoting their products, why not Kanye West? At least he actually cares about the lives of black people and to my knowledge did not spend his adolescence as a terrorist in his own community.

LOL, yeah right, choose the idiot of the community to support a low-cost mac.

Not only did he lie by stating the katrina rescue effort was slowed because 'george bush doesn't like black people' (more white people were effected in the aftermath), he used it in a remix of one of his songs to make money off of something that helps no one, and hurts everyone.

e-clipse
Jun 19, 2006, 02:41 PM
50 Cent is involved in inner city youth, but his music he promotes, .... teaches a darker message that might creep deeper into the minds of his fans, the youth of tomorrow. Sad is the path of the youth that thinks he has as much of a chance
of living gangster and making something of himself. Reality is hiding out in houses , cold concrete, and hard steel cages. I would rather hear rappers preaching about a life without the street.

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 02:42 PM
He's not looking out for inner city kids, he's looking out for his own pocket. If he cared, he'd donate some of his money back.

Do some reasearch before you make blanket statements like that. 50 Cent is quite a generous person.

http://www.young-buck.com/main/index.asp

And regardless, who cares if he's looking to make a bit of money himself? It's the end result that counts.

A is jump

I was thinking the same thing. very depressing and disapointing.

what is the difference with Eminem advertising for the Ipod?
oh... I forgot hes white.

I really hope this is true. connect the inner city... give them the internet too!
at least 50cent understands that something needs to be done.
who knows if it will really make much of a difference, but poor people are makin less and less money, working more and more hours, leaving their kids alone, and everyone wants to blame them for the problems that are in many ways out of their direct control. perhaps having a computer would help them find a world outside city walls.

kettle
...so it's a story of moral blackmail that gets morphed into a game of moral chicken by a Rapper(record company) going the wrong way up a one way moral street.

Anything Apple does here can be spun badly.

HGW
Jun 19, 2006, 02:44 PM
if apple make a 50c branded mac i will eat my keyboard. gimme the ***** cat dolls branded instruction manual.

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 02:45 PM

I forgot about that! Thanks for bringing that up.

This thread blows my mind.

freeny
Jun 19, 2006, 02:46 PM
50 cent???
Kanye is too religious...

And which is it any way? Fifty cent or Fitty cent?

Id like the Juvenile mac.

Honestly this has to be a joke.. A Fifty cent mac? Think about it people!:eek:

poppe
Jun 19, 2006, 02:47 PM
yo, reading these posts, there are sooo many Marie Antoinettes out there ;) Why would apple do this? Maybe because it's just the thing to do! Technology simply isn't in reach of sooo many, and bringing them in is probably good business/economy sense, especially long-term. I don't know how anyone can live not using the internet, but sooo many just have to. The next step, and probably just as important, is the access cost. 50 dollars to Comcast every month is a rip, and gas+electric comes first. This move would also bring a think-different, ethical punch to the marketplace for sure! The buzz would be phenomenal. Bring it on! :)

OK, and now for my mad version: Stop the sarcastic, hateful, idiotic references to drug containers and pimp machines. You oughta be ashamed. This isn't about branding a ghetto culture, it's about providing what people need and presently can't have. Associating this with some lyrics in .50 songs is just lame. Again, think different, please.

Should we associate this then? If they are going to use his name to brand it, how would they associate it?

I know when the jordans came out I associated his shoes with dedication hard work and the want to succeed, but 50 cent, his profession of rapping about shooting up, getting shot, and degrading women shouldn't be associated?

Please clarify...

Side note: how about the Rosa Parks, MLK, Jordan, or I can't think of anyone off the top of my head in the entertainment business, but there are alots that would be a better influence and brand for the inner city kids (well I would think).

But having a MLK laptop wouldn't sell no not like a Wanksta mini/ laptop...

Josh
Jun 19, 2006, 02:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing. very depressing and disapointing.

Exactly.

This thread has a lot of disgusting comments in it.

This is a good thing, for inner city people, for Apple, and for 50 cent. I assure you, you will not see "50-cent teams with Apple: Stocks Plummet" in any headlines.

Needless to say, my respect for the MR community was higher before I entered this thread.

Core Trio
Jun 19, 2006, 02:51 PM

kayne west has about as much class as 50 cent.

Is anyone forgetting that bargain computers for low income families are not exactly Apples business?? If you think they are going to release some machine for under the price of an iPod (estimating at about $350 b/c lets face it many people in the financial situation this addresses dont have hundreds of dollars to throw around). Apple is out to 'switch' people, and create returning customers, they run on a long term strategy, and i doubt they think they can count on continued business from the inner-city. Apple is still a business, that answers to its stock holders, in a time of growth for them, reaching out and giving charity is probably not at the top of their list of priorities. Moral? no. Good business? damn right.

And btw...i dont think its fair to just assume that all inner city people are black. Just a thought.

EDIT: Apple wont even give us a keyboard and mouse with the Mac mini for $699, and people actually think they are going to have a packaged deal for less? please.

iGary
Exactly.

This thread has a lot of disgusting comments in it.

This is a good thing, for inner city people, for Apple, and for 50 cent. I assure you, you will not see "50-cent teams with Apple: Stocks Plummet" in any headlines.

Needless to say, my respect for the MR community was higher before I entered this thread.

What disgusting comments?

They don't need 50-Cent to do this.

Subiklim

Well said. God forbid that somebody lessens the perceived status and esteem with owning a precious Mac. This is about helping less fortunate people. We're lucky to use great computers. Why should be be the only ones that can? To the guy who said earlier that he won't buy macs if this goes through, good riddance.

Jun 19, 2006, 02:52 PM
I'm no fan of 50-cent's music, but a lot of you seem to think he advocates what he sings in his songs. Remeber, he writes/sings them merely for the money, it doesn't mean he personally believes it. Among the rappers, I hold him in the highest esteem (though that's not saying much).

What a role model!

zap2
Jun 19, 2006, 02:53 PM
i'd much rather see a 50 Cent iPod, as he does music, not computers. If it does end up being a Mac, i would hope the Mac would not be a "50 cent Mac"(in the way U2 has an iPod) but more a 50 cent supported Mac, were his people and he helped Apple make ads for it, and such but don't name the Mac after him, that would suck( and i mean an Mac named after an artist, i mean i would not want a ColdPlay Mac and i love them!)

Also I like idea of a low cost Mac but if Apple gets a reall low end chip in it, then OS X runs bad, and its worthless, if the put a faster chip, it makes the Mini look like a bad deal. SO i don't really see room for a "good" low end Mac

devron
I live in Jamaica, NY....coincidentally about 2 miles from where 50 grew up (he went to my elementary school). I work in the tech industry and as someone who has an appreciation for both communities, I can tell you that people in the inner city don't want "tech on the cheap". They use firefox and are familiar with DRM and bit-torrent just like everyone else. If people are interested in tech, they'll seek it out. They don't need to be marketed to.

Secondly, as someone of color (and who's not all that sensitive...I'm sure that's the assumption often times), I appreciate the posts where folks are just discussing the idea. It is dumb. But then there are the posts that start to insult the folks who live here. Without shouting anyone out, I'm reading references to "ghetto" and discussion around poor folks like they're filth. There are folks who didn't ask for 50 (the artist or a mac worth two quarters) and who don't all wish to be associated with him. I dug his first album and admire his desire to do business with apple, but can we please be a bit sensitive to the folks who live here?

Lastly, I think a low cost mac.... somewhere in the spirit of $100 laptop project.... is a good thing. And not just for the "inner city". Exposing some of the midwest and poorer areas all around this nation to lower cost tech might be the thing that grows young minds and helps them to arrive at that gas-alternative energy....or a longer life battery for my MacBook Pro.

JBazz

Yeah. That MUST be it. It cant be that I dispise fiddy pennies because he is a POS. It MUST be because he is.....black~! Cant possiably be because he went to prison for selling drugs out of an underaged girls panties. Lied about being shot nine times, stole another idiots street name to gain "street cred", advocated violence and promotes every foul thing I dispise. Nope has to be because he is black.

:mad:

kahn
i cannot believe what i'm reading. you people have to be the most closed minded, hateful bunch. Perhaps Apple and 50-cent are having talks to develop a lower priced Mac that will serve the needs of those with lower incomes. I don't see anything about a 50-cent themed anything.
geez!
expand your universe just smidge

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 02:55 PM
What a roll model!

I appreciate you cutting out what I put directly after your quote that pretty much negates your point.

It's role model, by the way.

HGW
Jun 19, 2006, 02:56 PM
not technically white, they made him black for the ipod ad.

but who cares

computers to low income households should'nt be gangsta or apple branded they should call them them potato's or something and come with lots of mice

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah. That MUST be it. It cant be that I dispise fiddy pennies because he is a POS. It MUST be because he is.....black~! Cant possiably be because he went to prison for selling drugs out of an underaged girls panties. Lied about being shot nine times, stole another idiots street name to gain "street cred", advocated violence and promotes every foul thing I dispise. Nope has to be because he is black.

:mad:

Don't you seee? THis isn't about 50 cent. It's about getting quality computers to low income families. 50 cent is just the vehicle to get it to them. Let's face facts here, the lower income families are more intune with 50 cent than they are with... oh, lets say Bob Dylan.

Jun 19, 2006, 02:57 PM
Yes, they do. They need to understand that hip-hop culture is not some "freeing" expression of indivuality as it's billed, but a way for a few people to get disgustingly rich glorifying uglyness. Its a way for these people to rise themselves out of the ghetto, tell the people they what ****** conditions they are in, and how they understand (while they drink their Crystal and ride in their beamers) and have the idiots lap it up and make them a folk hero.

Yes, hip-hop and rap, beacons of purity and personal expression. I'd choose to characterize the "art forms" as the epitome of scam as an art form. Not only that, but they glorify the scum of modern society. While hip-hop I'll agree has some redeeming qualities, rap is nothing other than a fundamentally deterimental influence on America proper. As such, I do not want to see it as part of an Apple product. Ads are fine (and even then, I feel a bit of twinge, but I understand the marketing aspect), but to validate the crap that is rap with an apple branded GhettoBox™ ? No thanks.

At least there are a few intelligent people on the forum. Maybe back in the 70's and 80's Rap had a legitimate message but that time is long, long gone. It's all about the money these days even if that means drugs, rape and murder. This is a slap in the face to all the parents and teachers in the inner city trying to keep their children off the street and provide them with better lives.

poppe
Jun 19, 2006, 02:59 PM
i cannot believe what i'm reading. you people have to be the most closed minded, hateful bunch. Perhaps Apple and 50-cent are having talks to develop a lower priced Mac that will serve the needs of those with lower incomes. I don't see anything about a 50-cent themed anything.
geez!
expand your universe just smidge

The negotiations between the rapper and Apple are for a "branding deal." Appleinsider.com

What doest that mena then if it isn't 50 cent themed?

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:01 PM
SMFHITTATSCTS

seriously, there is so much ignorance and racism in this thread.
I don't understand what is so wrong if this unlikely event were to happen.
So 50 cent might be...I don't know colaborating (sp?) with Apple to make a lower end affordable Mac.

and?

I don't think this is going to make Apple's stock go down or something...
It's not like G-unit (WHICH ISN'T 50 CENT) is gonna be plastered all over the Mac...

If Apple were to colaborate with Queen I wonder what people would think...
or even some white person...

I don't know. This is just rediculous how people are reacting to this.

kahn
Jun 19, 2006, 03:02 PM
I'm thinking of never reading this site again. I want to throw my Mac in the trash if this is the community of people who proclaim to think differently. Perhaps PC users at least have the decency to be more compassionate and open minded.
shame on all of you.

poppe
Jun 19, 2006, 03:02 PM
I would just like to know is 50 cent the god of inner city as many keep speaking like... Ok not god... but is 50 cent the Jordan of inner city? Do kids in inner city in general think 50 cent that is succeful and products by him are they in demand by inner city kids?

iGary
Jun 19, 2006, 03:04 PM

This looks pretty ignorant to me:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000BEZQ1S.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Subiklim
I'm thinking of never reading this site again. I want to throw my Mac in the trash if this is the community of people who proclaim to think differently. Perhaps PC users at least have the decency to be more compassionate and open minded.
shame on all of you.

Noo! Don't throw away the mac. Unlike these racist ******** on this site, Apple is trying to be part of the solution. These people may be using macs, but they certianly do not support the views of EVERY mac owner.

JBazz
Don't you seee? THis isn't about 50 cent. It's about getting quality computers to low income families. 50 cent is just the vehicle to get it to them. Let's face facts here, the lower income families are more intune with 50 cent than they are with... oh, lets say Bob Dylan.

That is ONLY the HYPE fiddy pennies people are putting out. This is a "BRANDING DEAL ONLY". I expect about the same percentage of "low income families" to buy a mac as do his records (The MAJORITY of his records are sold to middle class white boys). ;)

Dont believe the hype. This is about putting money is that ex-cons pockets, not lower income kids.

ericmooreart

Of course he's looking out for his own pocket. But he could make all the profit he wants if it means a low income kid could have an affordable Mac. Its easy to rag on the idea if you already have a Mac or the means to buy one.

im_to_hyper
I am not seeing something that is branded the "Fiddy Cent Mac" but could instead have a basic design and/or simple color scheme that is sponsored by 50.

A cheap, $299-$399 Mac with 512MB RAM, 20-40GB HD, DVD-ROM or Combo option, and a Celeron-M (1.0-1.4GHz) or Celeron-D (2.0 - 2.4GHz) would be a nice, cheap Mac that would run reasonably well for inner city kids, families, or just anyone on a low-income budget who needs something stable to go on the internet with.

Stevez0r
Jun 19, 2006, 03:05 PM
The ignorance in this thread is mind boggling.Totally agree.

How come I don't hear anything being said about when Eminem when he was in Apple commerical's? People here think Mac's are for a certain race.

I really hope the Mod's are reading what people wrote. As a minority I feel very offended.
EDIT: Forget that 50 Cent for a minute, think about what it will do for kids that have no clue about computers.

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:05 PM
shame on all of you.

You seriously think that the other 95% of all PC users aren't racist?
The ones who write viruses are being immature and stuff..that is not decency and open minded.

I am surprised there are people older than me (I'm 15) & are completely ignorant and immature. (not directed at kahn)

mlrproducts
Jun 19, 2006, 03:06 PM
I kind of like the idea. Say what you want about the rap music industry, I have to believe that most of the people that really succeed in it are probably a lot smarter than than images they carve out for themselves. And I have to think that many of them are pretty good at the business side of things as well. Who knows, I could be way off, but that's the impression I get.

I think you're dead on, but that is the problem. They might never pick up a gun, but why tell impressionable, poor, and those who otherwise doubt their abilities that you do? Great role model, eh?

poppe
SMFHITTATSCTS

I don't understand what is so wrong if this unlikely event were to happen.
So 50 cent might be...I don't know colaborating (sp?) with Apple to make a lower end affordable Mac.

and?

I don't think this is going to make Apple's stock go down or something...
It's not like G-unit (WHICH ISN'T 50 CENT) is gonna be plastered all over the Mac...

If Apple were to colaborate with Queen I wonder what people would think...
or even some white person...

I don't know. This is just rediculous how people are reacting to this.

Put Eminem on there, Put Ashton, Put Pitt on there. Regardless of Sex, Age, Generd, Race, Religion it is still makes the mac seem un mac...

Cheap computers are an awesome idea. Branding them makes Apple computer seem very... I dont know the word... I feel the same way for the iPods... I think the U2 Ipod is ridiculous... I wasn't surprised it sold, but it felt very un Apple like...

mark!
This looks pretty ignorant to me:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000BEZQ1S.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

not really.

Core Trio
Its not that I dont like a 50 cent themed Mac, its more or less that I dont like the idea of a themed mac at all.

Why brand an Apple product in association with a person, sell with the hardware and the OS, not some name, the themed computer is just tacky. This would be far worse than the U2 iPod that for some reason costs more b/c of a red click wheel.

iGary
Jun 19, 2006, 03:07 PM
You seriously think that the other 95% of all PC users aren't racist?
The ones who write viruses are being immature and stuff..that is not decency and open minded.

I am surprised there are people older than me (I'm 15) & are completely ignorant and immature. (not directed at kahn)

What's racist? Examples?

iGary
not really.

Oh, OK, carrying your kid around with a gun in your back pocket is inherently a good thing. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, that's racist. :rolleyes:

mark!
Put Eminem on there, Put Ashton, Put Pitt on there. Regardless of Sex, Age, Generd, Race, Religion it is still makes the mac seem un mac...

Cheap computers are an awesome idea. Branding them makes Apple computer seem very... I dont know the word... I feel the same way for the iPods... I think the U2 Ipod is ridiculous... I wasn't surprised it sold, but it felt very un Apple like...

I agree.

What's racist? Examples?

Read the post who I was responding to.

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 03:08 PM
That is ONLY the HYPE fiddy pennies people are putting out. This is a "BRANDING DEAL ONLY". I expect about the same percentage of "low income families" to buy a mac as do his records (The MAJORITY of his records are sold to middle class white boys). ;)

Dont believe the hype. This is about putting money is that ex-cons pockets, not lower income kids.
Who cares if someone is making money off of it? Good for them!

This is not a branding deal only, buddy, its a branding deal for a computer for low income homes.

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:10 PM
Oh, OK, carrying your kid around with a gun in your back pocket is inherently a good thing. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, that's racist. :rolleyes:

you know where he grew up?
from what I take of that cover is that where he is trying to live, survive, and make money (or where he WAS) is somewhere that isn't safe, where people aren't exactly friendly. protection. it's not like he's ever shot anyone right?

iGary
Jun 19, 2006, 03:10 PM
Read the post who I was responding to.

I still don't get it, can you point out some blatanlty racist comments in this thread, please?

m-dogg
Jun 19, 2006, 03:11 PM
Wow, this is a topic I wasn't expecting...

I have to say, I thought we'd see a U2-branded, solar-powered budget Mac to target 3rd world nations before we'd ever see a 50 Cent-branded Mac.

If this is true, hopefully he is just working with Apple but it won't actually be co-branded in any silly way. But making computers available to people that can't currently afford them is a good thing, so I don't see how anyone could argue/complain about that!

I wonder what these machines would be like, and if they'd be available to the general public? Or would you have to qualify for them in some way?

mark!
I'm not gonna go through the thread to point out the obvious.

I still don't get it, can you point out some blatanlty racist comments in this thread, please?

I don't see how saying 50-Cent would be a bad role model is racist. Get rich or die trying isn't exactly what we need to be teaching kids. He glorifies drugs and violence. End of story. Apple doesn't need anyone to sell low cost computers to the inner city but if they want one there are plenty of legitimate role models that fit the bill.

iGary
you know where he grew up?
from what I take of that cover is that where he is trying to live, survive, and make money (or where he WAS) is somewhere that isn't safe, where people aren't exactly friendly. protection. it's not like he's ever shot anyone right?

You probably shouldn't be carrying your toddler into the line of fire, right?

I lived in the city and I never had people chasing me down with guns or barging into my house to shoot me...

Core Trio
Jun 19, 2006, 03:12 PM
shame on all of you.

wow...someone is taking this waaaay too hard

EDIT: No one has really been attacking african americans or any race in this thread, but more or less attacking 50 cent himself for his actions and what his music preaches.

Does anyone here truly believe 50 cent is the shining beacon of all things in black culture and that pointing out that his image is bad is an attack on all blacks? give me a break..

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:12 PM

I lived in the city and I never had people chasing me down with guns or barging into my house to shoot me...

Well then don't look at the cover if it offends you so much.

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 03:13 PM

I'm taking it you didn't grow up in Jamica Queens 30 years ago. :rolleyes:

iGary
I'm not gonna go through the thread to point out the obvious.

That's it then isn't it? There isn't anything blatantly racist in this thread - it's you being overly sensitive and taking any comment against 50 Cent as racist when it's not. No one here has said anything about anyone's skin color....

Stevez0r
Apple and ghetto-ness don't really add up. I really can't imagine a Mac with the G-Unit logo slapped on the sideDefine ghetto-ness, please.

iGary
Well then don't look at the cover if it offends you so much.

I give up. :rolleyes:

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 03:14 PM
wow...someone is taking this waaaay too hard

As he should be. How would you like it if one day you found out that the people you've been associating with were all closet racists?

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:14 PM
That's it then isn't it? There isn't anything blatantly racist in this thread - it's you being overly sensitive and taking any comment against 50 Cent as racist when it's not. No one here has said anything about anyone's skin color....

Uhm who said I said anything about skin color?
There's more to racism than skin...wtf.

kahn
Jun 19, 2006, 03:15 PM
anytime you make broad statements, about a race of people, based on the actions of a few, are racist. all the bling bling, bullet proof, crack pipe, etc, etc. yea, that's racist. you think this country has made progress? Think again.

Stevez0r
That's it then isn't it? There isn't anything blatantly racist in this thread - it's you being overly sensitive and taking any comment against 50 Cent as racist when it's not. No one here has said anything about anyone's skin color....Yeah one person made a comment about Apple coming out with a Jewish Mac.

nihilisticmonk

stop.....right.....there........

I think it's you who neds a reality check if you're classing 50 cent as a true pioneer of hip hop...
He doesn't sing hip hop, he sings gangsta rap...

Hip hop is a tribe called quest, run dmc, and some (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rae_and_Christian) very funny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pharcyde) very interesting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_manuva)
artists.....

leave that 50 cent, Usher, P-Diddy, B.I.G. crap at the door please.....

It's like compairing Brittany Spears to Aimee Mann in terms of talent....:mad:

Subiklim

No one needed to be blatently racist, or even mention skin color. Racism in this thread is deeper than that.

jaysmith
i've read through the first page of this thread, and i can't beleive the ignorance and stereotyping going on. sure he's a rapper, swears and says things that aren't always p.c, but if he's trying to help, more power to him. he realizes that he has the power and wealth to make a difference, so good for him for turning around. i'm sure they will look just like any other mac, wihtout cheap branding. hopefully it won't turn out like the U2 ipod though.

and future note, anyone over 30 should refrain from any form of hip hop slang in an attempt at humour.

JBazz
Jun 19, 2006, 03:16 PM
Who cares if someone is making money off of it? Good for them!

This is not a branding deal only, buddy, its a branding deal for a computer for low income homes.

Buddy, eh? LOL

WRONG. According to the purported story, it IS only a branding deal.

Who cares if fiddy pennies makes money? I do. I dispise everything about him. He is a grown man who went to PRISON because he got caught selling CRACK COCAIN out of an underaged girls panties. She did several years and he struck a deal to do months in a juvenile facility.

Since his fame, he has advocated violence and guns. He has been in numberous shoot outs. Imagine, a millionaire rolling in the most expensive cars made, having "beefs" and shoot outs with other millionaires. LMAO

Oh, I forgot. I cannot criticize him because he is black. Even though I am part black also. I have to LOOOOOOOOVE his voilence and crack selling and pimping and disparaging of women. Because, you know, he is black.

Core Trio
Jun 19, 2006, 03:16 PM
As he should be. How would you like it if one day you found out that the people you've been associating with were all closet racists?

read what I said a couple posts back...theres almost nothing on this thread that labels anyone a closet racist.

iGary
Jun 19, 2006, 03:17 PM
No one needed to be blatently racist, or even mention skin color. Racism in this thread is deeper than that.

Right, gotcha.

Then how is it racist?

If you guys cannot point out anything that is racist - I mean if the whole thread is filled with racist hate, then you should be able to point it out, right?

JBazz
Jun 19, 2006, 03:18 PM
i've read through the first page of this thread, and i can't beleive the ignorance and stereotyping going on. sure he's a rapper, swears and says things that aren't always p.c, but if he's trying to help, more power to him. he realizes that he has the power and wealth to make a difference, so good for him for turning around. i'm sure they will look just like any other mac, wihtout cheap branding. hopefully it won't turn out like the U2 ipod though.

and future note, anyone over 30 should refrain from any form of hip hop slang in an attempt at humour.

If he is trying to help, LET HIM STOP ADVOCATING GUN VIOLENCE, CRIME, AND PIMPING. That would HELP!

poppe
Attack on 50 cent character and how he acts = Racism? I dont know if i've been racists in my comments, but I'm strictly attacking his character! Not his race.

MacsomJRR
What a huge load of crap. 50 cent was a drug dealer for christ's sake who rose to fame singing about slapping women, shooting your enemies and hustling drugs on the streets. Are you kidding me?

This would be an absolutely horrible move by apple, not only economically but socially as well. 50 Cent makes great rap songs and that is about it.

Stevez0r
Finally, a computer for African Americans. Can we also have a jewBook endorsed by Woody Allen? Or how about the original 'white' iBook endorsed by Steve Martin?Isn't this racist?

nihilisticmonk
Jun 19, 2006, 03:19 PM
people are shouting "racism" at people who are "hating a dumbass untalented rap artist who does glorify guns and violence"

Man....I've got my Godwin card at the ready for this thread and feel I'll be able to invoke it soon.... :D

mark!
Right, gotcha.

Then how is it racist?

O.M.G.

Yeah one person made a comment about Apple coming out with a Jewish Mac.

2 answers. there ya go. read the thread. youll see something. if you dont grab a dictionary.

Subiklim
WRONG. According to the purported story, it IS only a branding deal.

Read the first page again buddy.
Hip hop artist 50 Cent is in talks with Apple about a 50-cent branded Mac that is affordable for inner-city residents according to Forbes (summary by AppleInsider).

I'm against a branding only deal. I'm for a lower-income computer deal (even if it means a 50-cent branding)

Core Trio
It seems like lately threads on social issues are taking over this site more so than mac news and rumors (ie ipod sweatshops and apple pulling out of india)

I hate to say it but i miss "powerbooks next tuesday" type threads.

iGary
O.M.G.

one answer. there ya go. read the thread. youll see something. if you dont grab a dictionary.

Still waiting for a quote form this thread that is racist.

pedrov
Jun 19, 2006, 03:20 PM

hey gary, would u like if queer eye branded a mac and everyone in the thread called it the "iCock" or "iFag" and made fun of the homos?

you're a hypocrite with little tolerance. that makes you racist.

HGW
Jun 19, 2006, 03:21 PM
samuel l jackson said he wouldnt work with 50c, now thats kudos

m-dogg
Isn't this racist?

Hmm... I took this as sarcasm, not racism.

iGary
hey gary, would u like if queer eye branded a mac and everyone in the thread called it the "iCock" or "iFag" and made fun of the homos?

I figured it wouldn't be long before someone pulled that card...

Who am I making fun of? Where?

mark!

then read my post again.

k thanks.

nihilisticmonk
Jun 19, 2006, 03:22 PM

And you compairing people saying 50 cent is a bad role model with blatant homophobia makes you a dumbass....

If this was a deal with say....."Denzel Washington" to make a designed ipod for charity, I bet you'd get no vitriol against it....

But the fact 50 cent is a homophobic abusive violent man is the problem, not his skin colour.

MrCrowbar
Jun 19, 2006, 03:22 PM
Hmmmm... how about a 50 Cent language pack?

I want 50's voice sampled in the speech preferences. So I could let him read my mails ad stuff. Oh yea, you will also be able to set "fitty" as default system language and a keyboard with only 10 letters and keys for "izzle", "hood", "*****", "*****", "yo" etc...

"Yo, wassup, dooya reely wonna seef dat f*ckn duck-u-mant, duuude?"

:D ;) :cool: :eek: :p :) :rolleyes: :o

SC68Cal
Jun 19, 2006, 03:23 PM
I don't think Fifty Cent's image is compatable with Apple's marketing strategy.

Jesus
Look people, listen, what people are saying here is not an attack on african-americans or african-american culture. People are simply saying that they disagree with 50 cents womanising, advocating of guns and violence, and the glamorisation of drug use, etc. No-one here is racist against african-americans or is saying that all african-americans are like 50 cent (see above). :)

macthorough
They'd probably call it the G-Unit - DUH...and i cannot believe how ignorant u people are being after all his record was created by DR. DRE who owns many macs....and yes the more macs the merrier..targeting inner cities would be a good way to get the word out...bigger the city the bigger the popluation...duh...

if it were a snake it would have bit you

Gi-Gi-Gi-G-UNIT

poppe
anytime you make broad statements, about a race of people, based on the actions of a few, are racist. all the bling bling, bullet proof, crack pipe, etc, etc. yea, that's racist. you think this country has made progress? Think again.

Ah Crap... I'm racist to whites... and I am white... I just made fun of trucker hats...

(ashton)

How is it racist to make fun a celeberity who glorifies "all the bling bling, bullet proof, crack pipe, etc, etc."

I make fun of Brittney Spears because she played the virgin for how long after her virginity?

I'm not being racist I'm talking their personality and their actions...

Stevez0r
Finally, a computer for African Americans. Can we also have a jewBook endorsed by Woody Allen? Or how about the original 'white' iBook endorsed by Steve Martin?Can You See Now?

EDIT: iGary You Still Looking?

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:24 PM
And you compairing people saying 50 cent is a bad role model with blatant homophobia makes you a dumbass....

If this was a deal with say....."Denzel Washington" to make a designed ipod for charity, I bet you'd get no vitriol against it....

But the fact 50 cent is a homophobic abusive violent man is the problem, not his skin colour.

Who has he beat?
What gay man did he make fun of?
Who said he doesn't like gays?

Jun 19, 2006, 03:24 PM

Are they making statements about 50-Cent or the entire African-American community? Someone making a joke about a 50-Cent Mac isn't necessarily making a joke about an inner-city Mac. 50-Cent is a thug. So is Eminem. Doesn't matter what color they are. Neither one of them is a good role model and neither one of them should be used to sell a computer to kids.

technicolor
Jun 19, 2006, 03:25 PM
Funny I started this thead earlier

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=210155

Infinity
How much will this so called "inner city Mac" cost?

0.50cent!

maybe thats the connection? LOL

Sorry someone had to say it!

:)

Cheap computers accessible to anyone? good.
Apple "cheapo computer" aligned with 50cent? not good.

my 2cents.

Mr.Hey
I personally don't like the idea of Apple associating itself with a vendor of Hip-Hop rubbish such as $0.50. Apple has a reputation as a good company with good values. $0.50's values are, shall we say, unproven.

Would those drug addicted rock bands be more appropriate? Shut up you closeted bigot. Oh, it's perfectly fine to pimp the hip-hop culture to sell iPods and whatever other Apple products, right!?! estupido!

Word to ya motha!

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:26 PM
They'd probably call it the G-Unit - DUH...and i cannot believe how ignorant u people are being after all his record was created by DR.DRE who owns many macs....and yes the more macs the merrier..targeting inner cities would be a good was to get the word out...bigger the city the bigger the popluation...duh...

if it were a snake it would have bit you

Gi-Gi-Gi-G-UNIT

50 cent isn't G-unit.

Core Trio
If you all want to talk about the definition of "racist" go start a thread on dictionary.com or something. This thread is supposed to be about apple, I dont think apple has been mentioned in the last few pages.

pedrov

not true. on this site there's a thread where iGary calls for the death of certain celebrities.

yet if i called for his death because he's queer, i would get a talking to, i'm sure.

hes offended by a picture of a black man with tatoos.
he as much as said it a few posts earlier. there's nothing out of the ordinary on that pic, but there's is a black man. he said he doesn't like it. what is that?

I think he just need to shut up his dirty mouth. disgusting and immature.

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:28 PM
not true. on this site there's a thread where iGary calls for the death of certain celebrities.

yet if i called for his death because he's queer, i would get a talking to, i'm sure.

he as much as said it a few posts earlier. there's nothing out of the ordinary on that pic, but there's is a black man. he said he doesn't like it. what is that?

the gun & infant is what got him.
'cause we all know that 50 cent is gonna go postal on everyone's ass at the effing photoshoot.[/sarcasm torwards igary]

beatle888
I kind of like the idea. Say what you want about the rap music industry, I have to believe that most of the people that really succeed in it are probably a lot smarter than than images they carve out for themselves.

yeah, i would say that about any musical artist...like, oh i dont know...britney spears?

A is jump
Considering this is simply a rumor, and not specifics are at hand, people sure are up in arms about it.

why be so negitive about a computer that poor people can afford because it is associated with 50cent? hell, would the thing even say mac or apple on it? or would it simply be designed by apple, and feature OSX?
that sounds good to me... for apple to be involved in that, makes sense to me.
more people using OSX, rather than windows.
if kids would be using it for music, get them started on garageband, and move them up to Logic.
anyone know if 50cent uses macs or logic to produce his music?

iGary
I'm gonna step out of this, because, quite frankly, it has gotten stupid.

There is not one comment (by me or others) that singles out 50-Cent for being black in this thread.

NOT ONE

Yet many think that criticism of him is an immediate racist ticket -and when asked you cannot point to anything specifically racist in the comments here, but instead say "oh yeah, just look."

Now, if you think that making comments about him carrying guns around, or being an ex-con, a drug user, drug dealer...is racist, then I suggest you look a little deeper into your own hatred.

Peace.

Stevez0r
Considering this is simply a rumor, and not specifics are at hand, people sure are up in arms about it.

why be so negitive about a computer that poor people can afford because it is associated with 50cent? hell, would the thing even say mac or apple on it? or would it simply be designed by apple, and feature OSX?
that sounds good to me... for apple to be involved in that, makes sense to me.
more people using OSX, rather than windows.
if kids would be using it for music, get them started on garageband, and move them up to Logic.
anyone know if 50cent uses macs or logic to produce his music?Most studio I've seen have Apple products in them.

Jesus
Jun 19, 2006, 03:29 PM

No, it is a picture of a (black) man (race does not matter in this at all) who is carrying a GUN while carrying a BABY, not exactly perfect parenting, or a good role model.

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:29 PM
I'm gonna step out of this, because, quite frankly, it has gotten stupid.

There is not one comment (by me or others) that singles out 50-Cent for being black in this thread.

NOT ONE

Yet many think that criticism of him is an immediate racist ticket -and when asked you cannot point to anything specifically racist in the comments here, but instead say "oh yeah, just look."

Now, if you think that making comments about him carrying guns around, or being an ex-con, a drug user, drug dealer...is racist, then I suggest you look a little deeper into your own hatred.

Peace.

as said earlier skin isnt the only thing to racism.
but whatever.

nihilisticmonk
Jun 19, 2006, 03:30 PM
Who has he beat?
Who said he doesn't like gays?

He did

VIOLENCE
I got the sickest vendetta when it come to the cheddar
n***a you play with my paper, you gonna meet my berreta

VIOLENCE
Smith and Wesson's the weapon in case you was guessin', escape lesson
Caps in my benze, I'm beginning to end
Watch the 22 spin, My hoes a perfect ten
I got shot but I got up and I'm back at it again

HOMOPHOBIC
I'm that cat by the bar, toasting to the good light
You that ********t ass n****a trying to pull me back ride

HOMOPHOBIC
tells Playboy: "I ain't into *********s. I don't like gay people around me, because I'm not comfortable with what their thoughts are. I'm not prejudiced

technicolor
Jun 19, 2006, 03:31 PM
You all need to chill with calling the ppl who this story refers too as ghetto

that has all kinds of connotations...

JBazz

Lyrics from In Da Club...written and sung by fiddy pennies...

You that ****** ass nicca trying to pull me back ride

mkubal
Someone please lock this thread. I'm begging you. Why did I even read it. It's like a car crash.

Everyone needs to calm down.

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:32 PM
He did

VIOLENCE
I got the sickest vendetta when it come to the cheddar
Nigga you play with my paper, you gonna meet my berreta

VIOLENCE
Smith and Wesson's the weapon in case you was guessin', escape lesson
Caps in my benze, I'm beginning to end
Watch the 22 spin, My hoes a perfect ten
I got shot but I got up and I'm back at it again

HOMOPHOBIC
You that ****** ass nicca trying to pull me back ride

HOMOPHOBIC
tells Playboy: "I ain't into ******s. I don't like gay people around me, because I'm not comfortable with what their thoughts are. I'm not prejudiced

stand corrected.

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 03:32 PM
No, it is a picture of a (black) man (race does not matter in this at all) who is carrying a GUN while carrying a BABY, not exactly perfect parenting, or a good role model.

It depends on where one grows up. In many cases it is GOOD parenting to have a gun when carrying around a child, lest you want to get shot yourself. Don't be so blind, the world isn't as peachy sweet for everyone as it is for you.

storage
Jun 19, 2006, 03:33 PM
stop.....right.....there........

I think it's you who neds a reality check if you're classing 50 cent as a true pioneer of hip hop...
He doesn't sing hip hop, he sings gangsta rap...

Hip hop is a tribe called quest, run dmc, and some (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rae_and_Christian) very funny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pharcyde) very interesting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_manuva)
artists.....

leave that 50 cent, Usher, P-Diddy, B.I.G. crap at the door please.....

It's like compairing Brittany Spears to Aimee Mann in terms of talent....:mad:
What I meant was, that people was associating 50 Cent as being REAL hiphop, I never ever said 50 Cent is REAL hiphop.

technicolor
Jun 19, 2006, 03:34 PM

"Originally Posted by commonpeople
Finally, a computer for African Americans. Can we also have a jewBook endorsed by Woody Allen? Or how about the original 'white' iBook endorsed by Steve Martin?"

As if African Americans dont already own Apple computers or cant afford them..

and we wont even get into the talk of calling people ghetto...

oh i just love how innercity resident is equal to black, and sometimes hispanics

pedrov
It depends on where one grows up. In many cases it is GOOD parenting to have a gun when carrying around a child, lest you want to get shot yourself. Don't be so blind, the world isn't as peachy sweet for everyone as it is for you.

very good point.

Jesus
according to your dad igary is no role model as a parent either, he being a sodomite and all.

your dads book says so. :D

What is wrong with being gay?

iGary is saying it is wrong to be a drug dealer, homophobe, and an advocate of gun violence et al.

JBazz
In his own words...here is how much he really cares about inner city kids...

For someone who has survived 9 bullet wounds, 50 cent is remarkably unrepentant. "I’m not with the “Save The Children’s Fund. I don’t give a **** about another nigga kids, just my kid,” he said in an interview quoted on RapArtistDirect.com

I know, I know, I am racists for even repeating fiddy pennies own foul ideology. I should look the other way and buy eveerything he puts out. Cause he is black.

A is jump
Most studio I've seen have Apple products in them.

Many studios are running apple computers, but does he specifically own one?
I'm most curious if he is using logic pro.

it really is a great program for producing hiphop and house music.

nihilisticmonk
What I meant was, that people was associating 50 Cent as being REAL hiphop, I never ever said 50 Cent is REAL hiphop.

I stand corrected sir, and hope we can get rid of charlatain "hip hoppers" such as this fiddy cent that stain the music which I love...

beatle888
Jun 19, 2006, 03:36 PM
Someone please lock this thread. I'm begging you. Why did I even read it. It's like a car crash.

Everyone needs to calm down.

NOooooo.

i love this thread, it shows the true nature of all you little babies. come on people, lets mix in some comments about spelliing and grammer while we're at it. :)

kettle
How would you like it if one day you found out that the people you've been associating with were all closet racists?

You're right, to my horror I'm the only member of my current clique who wouldn't think twice about buying a crappy imported wardrobe from ikea.

oh and Black Eminem... Robinsons in the UK had a similar sales pitch to the iPod dancers in the 60's and 70's but that had to stop. (reality and relevance)

People should look around at the disrespect of people in general before choosing a particular race for their condescending piffle to be spouted on behalf of.

This is a record company playing a win win publicity stunt off the back of the Apple iPod brand. There is nothing to loose. association - or my gang of people is better than your gang of people.

It doesn't matter who as long as there is a point of leverage.

poppe
Would those drug addicted rock bands be more appropriate? Shut up you closeted bigot. Oh, it's perfectly fine to pimp the hip-hop culture to sell iPods and whatever other Apple products, right!?! estupido!

Word to ya motha!

Thats racist in a sense to think we are all thinking we need white rock bands for a mac...

What has been said time and time again is that 50 cent does not feel like the person who apple should be working on a branding deal with.

Jesus
"Originally Posted by commonpeople
Finally, a computer for African Americans. Can we also have a jewBook endorsed by Woody Allen? Or how about the original 'white' iBook endorsed by Steve Martin?"

and we wont even get into the talk of calling people ghetto...

oh i just love how innercity resident is equal to black, and sometimes hispanics

I think I have to introduce you to someone.
technicolor this is humor, humor, this is technicolor.

Stevez0r
Many studios are running apple computers, but does he specifically own one?
I'm most curious if he is using logic pro.

it really is a great program for producing hiphop and house music.Don't know that one...

pedrov
Jun 19, 2006, 03:37 PM
What is wrong with being gay?

iGary is saying it is wrong to be a drug dealer, homophobe, and an advocate of gun violence et al.

according to the book your father wrote, being gay is immoral.

just as bad as a drug dealer.

but you missed the connection. five miles over your head.

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:37 PM

racist humor, meet jesus, jesus meet racist humor.

hmmmm....?

technicolor
Jun 19, 2006, 03:38 PM
fall back
i cant take you serious based on your username

get a life
nothing funny about this at all

HGW
Jun 19, 2006, 03:38 PM
inner city mac, i bet its a black plastic raincoat with a white silouette of the latest ipod

sold for 50c and endorsed as bullet proof, sneakily it wont be and we will lose alot of the population from stupid ****ing ipod related gun muggings.

how clever of apple

Stevez0r
Jun 19, 2006, 03:39 PM
**** It...I was born and raised in the bronx, the south bronx. I went to PACE University and graduated with a Business Degree. I'm currently working for the Government as a Program Analyst.

storage
Jun 19, 2006, 03:40 PM
I stand corrected sir, and hope we can get rid of charlatain "hip hoppers" such as this fiddy cent that stain the music which I love...
No problem :). I'm going to try to find some Roots Manuva CD, heard about him before, but never heard any of his songs before. Any recommendations?

the.snitch
Ok folks, nothing to see here, move along. Apple is never going to release 50-cent branded/endorsed anything. Or if they were, they're not going to any longer.
Why? Because 50 and his big mouthed manager just failed test no. 1.
If you work with Apple, you've gotta be able to keep your mouth shut.

technicolor
**** It...I was born and raised in the bronx, the south bronx. I went to PACE University and graduated with a Business Degree. I'm currently working for the Government as a Program Analyst. you dont have to validate your experience to these closet racist

who stereotype ppl

i dont want to see 50cent apple products as much as the next person
50 is a disgrace,and his music is not something apple should endorese by signing a brand ing contract

but some how "inncercity" which is media speak for poor black people
have become victims in this debate
by closet racists on mac rumors

and ive yet to see any moderation
as well as i posted 50cent lyrics in another post
and the n word wasnt even caught my the forum filter

Cygnus311
Jun 19, 2006, 03:41 PM
They do this and it could very well end my business with Apple forever.

nihilisticmonk
Jun 19, 2006, 03:41 PM
No problem :). I'm going to try to find some Roots Manuva CD, heard about him before, but never heard any of his songs before. Any recommendations?

lol, good man :-)

Run Come Save Me is a fantastic album to start with, and it's in the itunes music store! :-) (At least in the UK it is...)

darkfro
Jun 19, 2006, 03:42 PM
Ok. I'm African-American. And I don't agree with apple and 50 cent together at all. And everything I've read that you all are considering racist i've taken as sarcasm. I mean as stated prior to my post he is a violent man who is also a former drug dealer and a womanizer. That just doesn't work well with Apple. But i'm still all for lower costing macs for the less fortunate. I'm just lucky enough to have a doctor and a lawyer for parents. And happen to have a decent paying job working part time for a university.

JesterJJZ
Jun 19, 2006, 03:44 PM
50 Cent is a cancer on today's society. And I work with hip hop.

macthorough
Jun 19, 2006, 03:44 PM
It would be called the "G-UNIT"

DUH

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:45 PM
It would be called the "G-UNIT"

DUH
50 CENT IS NOT G-UNIT

Shadow
Jun 19, 2006, 03:47 PM
I really doubt it will be 100 bucks. I am thinking it being more along the lines of 300-400 dollar cpu geared towards an educational machine. just my prediction.
Oh yeah, a 50 Cent Mac aimed towards education? Remember this is the guy who wanted kids to buy a M-Rated game cos it teaches "life experience" (I think that was the reason).

G5-Unit

:p

Jesus
Jun 19, 2006, 03:48 PM
and ive yet to see any moderation
as well as i posted 50cent lyrics in another post
and the n word wasnt even caught my the forum filter

that is because in the lyrics it is spelt with an 'a' at the end, which is not how you spell the n word, so as such it is not picked up by the filter.

johnthevulcan
Seriously, whether it is 50 cent or a bumbling crackhead on 125th st. it is a good idea give him credit, those bullets apparently havent damged his brain.

will the mac be green? free dutch with credit approval?:D

Subiklim
They do this and it could very well end my business with Apple forever.

iGary? There's your racism. RIGHT there.

mark!
Jun 19, 2006, 03:49 PM

THAT isn't racism, just ignorance.

nihilisticmonk
Jun 19, 2006, 03:50 PM

or perhaps that's you, jumping ahead of yourself? :p

Perhaps he means because of this mans homophobia and promotion of the violent lifestyle?

johnthevulcan
Jun 19, 2006, 03:51 PM
do you really think jobs will let the pc have a built in stash box- (hint)

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 03:51 PM
THAT isn't racism, just ignorance.

I take that as racism. The way I see it, this is NOT about 50cent. This is about helping lower income families obtain good computers at a low cost. It's these people that the poster does not want to be associated with.

mozmac
Jun 19, 2006, 03:52 PM
gMac

I think that'd be a good name for it.

FF_productions
do you really think jobs will let the pc have a built in stash box- (hint)

Dude, stop with the racist jokes, this thread is becoming ridiculous. If you don't want a "50 cent based Mac", don't get it. It's something new, I bet I'll see a lot of threads about it when it comes out too.

swingerofbirch
I don't believe that fiddy cent stands for violence. He just happened to stand in the pathway of violence nine times.

Fiddy cent teaches children not to give up the first, second, third....or ninth time you are shot. If fiddy had given up, he wouldn't be the megastar he is today making deals with Apple to produce Fiddy Cent computers.

Subiklim
Jun 19, 2006, 03:53 PM
or perhaps that's you, jumping ahead of yourself? :p

Perhaps he means because of this mans homophobia and promotion of the violent lifestyle?

My G-d people are you that thick? This isn't about what 50 cent is doing, or what he has does. This is about a low cost computer! That's all that matters here. The computer, and the people that get it. Who cares who advertises it, it's the end result that counts!

A is jump
Jun 19, 2006, 03:53 PM
I know you guys are busy arguing about who is racist and who is not...
but what do you think about the computer? lets say apple just assists with the design and building of... and then allows the computers to run OSX?

cheap computers by 50Cent that run OSX?

it wouldnt be in the mac line... I admit, that it wouldnt fit there.

nihilisticmonk
Jun 19, 2006, 03:54 PM
I take that as racism. The way I see it, this is NOT about 50cent. This is about helping lower income families obtain good computers at a low cost. It's these people that the poster does not want to be associated with.

Apsolute rubbish. You've twisted that into your own pathetic quote.
The dude meant he didn't agree with them going into business with a homophobic violence promoting person.

If this guy was against people obtaining lower cost macs, wouldn't he have left when the emac was announced :confused:

"pathetic...schools getting cheaper macs....apple will never have my business again...."

Subiklim
This deserves to be quoted again. So Apple has always appealed to the educational market....

This is just what kids need. Another reason to "look up" to a gang banger. :mad:
They're not buying the lyrics, they're buying the computer! Get it through your heads, people. This is about computers, not violence.

BruinJohn
I hope this isn't true. I wouldn't mind a 50 cent iPod like the U2 one, but not a computer.

Jesus
Jun 19, 2006, 03:55 PM

Wow, easy tiger. If he had said "I'm never gonna buy anything from apple as I don't want to be accosiated with blacks" that would be racist, but he hasn't so it is not, and anyway, since you are so sure there is so much racism on this board, you could surely find a more blatant example...

Edit: that post was only made in the last few minutes, but you have been yelling about racist posts for ages. Hmm...

CmdrLaForge
I can understand that Apple Marketing is thinking about new ideas. But I really cannot identify myself with the 50 cents crap. I would prefer if they go more in the Think Different direction again.

my 2 cents

mark!
Je suis stepping out aussi.
I'm surprised at the ignorance, immaturity (sp?), & racism in this thread from people older than me.

nihilisticmonk
Jun 19, 2006, 03:56 PM
My G-d people are you that thick? This isn't about what 50 cent is doing, or what he has does. This is about a low cost computer! That's all that matters here. The computer, and the people that get it. Who cares who advertises it, it's the end result that counts!

It's also about an offensive pathetic money grabbing "artist" who's trying to surf off the good press about pretending to give a ****** about these people.

Are you that thick you cannot accept any other point of view? :mad:

Cygnus311
Jun 19, 2006, 03:58 PM
I don't believe that fiddy cent stands for violence. He just happened to stand in the pathway of violence nine times.

Fiddy cent teaches children not to give up the first, second, third....or ninth time you are shot. If fiddy had given up, he wouldn't be the megastar he is today making deals with Apple to produce Fiddy Cent computers.

ARE KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WOW. Do me one quick, simple favor...click on www.50cent.com and then get back to me.

millsy
Jun 19, 2006, 03:59 PM
Some admin please lock this thread. It seems sadly the community here at MacRumors is unable to handle a debate/conversation about the thought of a computer targeted at low income familes without it becoming an all out flame war about who is or who isn't racist or if 50 cent is such a bad role model based on his dubious past.

I would gladly welcome a computer built by Apple that was marketed and priced for low income familes/people who normally would be unable to afford a computer. Regardless of age, race, religion or what not....in this day and age computer access for many people is very very beneficial.