PDA

View Full Version : Apple Insiders CONFIRM 970 Use - says Wired

law guy
Feb 28, 2003, 08:04 PM
In an article from October '02, Wired (www.wired.com) posted the following:

"What, exactly, Apple plans to do with the new chips is unknown. Though sources close to the company confirm that Apple will be using the PowerPC 970, the company did not return calls requesting comment and has been tight-lipped about its 64-bit processor plans. "

The link is:
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,55722,00.html

Similar hints have been made before (e.g. sources expect apple to be a customer, etc.), but I had not read anything so definitely phrased to date. The article is actually better than much of the cut-and-paste reporting out there.

In the same article, Pete Sampson - IBM Senior PowerPC architect states: "This design is aimed at four-way (systems)," said Sampson. "It can certainly support eight-way. It's intended for SMP."

Sampson also notes that the 970 will issue 8 instructions per clock cycle compared to the G4's 3.

Computer_Phreak
Feb 28, 2003, 09:20 PM
well i think its pretty obvious that they will have to use the 970, otherwise Apple is pretty much screwed.

MrMacMan
Feb 28, 2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Computer_Phreak
well i think its pretty obvious that they will have to use the 970, otherwise Apple is pretty much screwed.

Or in the suprise move of he century Motorola released the G5 oh yeah with 3MB of L4 Cache... and uh... have AGP 12x and uh... runs at 2.6 GHZ with a 4 stage pipeline.

What, its gonna happen!

chewbaccapits
Feb 28, 2003, 10:47 PM
" There is a little Steve in all of us!
I got a 800 MHZ 17" 768 MB Ram iMac.
Fold as if your life depended on it, and it might soon enough.
Fold Now! Click me! "

Sure one clicks here, but that doesn't give ANYONE an idea of what the hell folding means....

daniel77
Mar 1, 2003, 09:47 AM
sounds pretty awesome. now i am off to go troll at a pc board

mister k
Mar 1, 2003, 10:20 AM
"If I were to design a chip for desktop media, professional publishing and graphics, this is the kind of chip I would design," he said. "This single chip would probably be as powerful as any two G4 chips you would find right now in a Mac."

I really like the way that sounds... how about a 4 way/2 ghz ppc-970/4 terabytes of ram configuration :) If apple adopts the ppc it sure will be powerful.