Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatTony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Stats:
iBook
800 MHz G3
256 MB RAM
OS X 10.2.4

So my wife is trying to create a new folder in Mail. Mail unexpectedly quits and does so every time she tries to start it again. I tell her to log out and then back in. She logs out and the computer goes into a Darwin console login instead of the OS X login screen. She's freaked, so I take over. I can log in with my username and password, but I can't reboot and when I exit it returns to the Darwin console login. So I hold down the power button for 5 seconds to force shutdown and then restart. The computer boots normally...right into the OS X login screen. Everything is fine. Even the new folder she created in Mail is there. On logout again everything works like normal. It just happened once.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Could be just a random glitch... I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it happens again. Not a solution, but if it does happen again, you could log in as root and use the command "shutdown now -r" to reboot instead of holding down the power button. If you don't have the root account enabled, you can enable it by opening up NetInfo Manager and going to Security -> Enable Root User (or something like that).

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Doesn't "shutdown now" reboot to single user?
if it does, they might just chase their tail.

"reboot" or "sudo reboot", I know, just does a plain-jane reboot into the GUI.

but your "-r" option might change it to that. I'll break out the man page later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.