PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 Rev B is broken :(

dcv
Jun 27, 2006, 04:38 PM
Yes my 20" iMac (2.0GHz/Revision B) has decided to crap itself. :rolleyes:

Just got home to expect it to be recording Lost with my EyeTV. Instead I find it's switched itself off. Not in sleep mode, nothing, just completely off. I tried to power it on but nothing. It is emitting a little squeaking noise (don't laugh!) every second or so. I left the room for a few mins and then heard the start-up chime... I popped my head round the corner to observe it attempting to power on. The screen lit up then it all powered down again; sleep light flashed on and off about 3 times or so and then went back to nothing but that strange squeaking sound.

I've unplugged it, replugged it, removed all FireWire devices etc. I cannot power it on and I'm just hearing this little squeaking noise. So presumably the PSU is fried or something then? Is there anything I can/should do? It's already had a replacement PSU fitted a few months ago.

Sorry, it's late, I'm pooped and haven't searched the forums properly - please feel free to slap my wrists for that - is this a common problem? I bet someone's going to post a link to the iMac G5 video/power issue thingymajig but AFAIK that applies to Rev A machines not Rev B.

Cheers.

iGary
Jun 27, 2006, 04:40 PM
Yes my 20" iMac (2.0GHz/Revision B) has decided to crap itself. :rolleyes:

Just got home to expect it to be recording Lost with my EyeTV. Instead I find it's switched itself off. Not in sleep mode, nothing, just completely off. I tried to power it on but nothing. It is emitting a little squeaking noise (don't laugh!) every second or so. I left the room for a few mins and then heard the start-up chime... I popped my head round the corner to observe it attempting to power on. The screen lit up then it all powered down again; sleep light flashed on and off about 3 times or so and then went back to nothing but that strange squeaking sound.

I've unplugged it, replugged it, removed all FireWire devices etc. I cannot power it on and I'm just hearing this little squeaking noise. So presumably the PSU is fried or something then? Is there anything I can/should do? It's already had a replacement PSU fitted a few months ago.

Sorry, it's late, I'm pooped and haven't searched the forums properly - please feel free to slap my wrists for that - is this a common problem? I bet someone's going to post a link to the iMac G5 video/power issue thingymajig but AFAIK that applies to Rev A machines not Rev B.

Cheers.

Have you tried to boot from the install discs, DCV?

Queso
Jun 27, 2006, 04:44 PM

According to threads on Macintouch.com, both Rev A and Rev B iMacs had problems with capacitors. Pop the back off and take a look. If it's that problem, the capacitors will look bulged.

gekko513
Jun 27, 2006, 04:44 PM
It does sound like a PSU problem to me.

dcv
Jun 27, 2006, 04:58 PM
Have you tried to boot from the install discs, DCV?

I cannot power it on at all. :(

According to threads on Macintouch.com, both Rev A and Rev B iMacs had problems with capacitors. Pop the back off and take a look. If it's that problem, the capacitors will look bulged.

Oh really? Aaarrgh! I thought it was the A's only. Well that's easier said than done... it's wall-mounted so I will have to un-mount it first. *goddammitall*

It does sound like a PSU problem to me.
I think it must be... obviously when I unplug it the funny little squeaking noise stops. All I get when I plug it back in is this stupid noise. It's plugged into a surge protector strip along with my 17" iMac. The 17" has been switched off anyway as I've not been using it but I've just powered that one up just to test that it's not a problem with the power socket or anything like that.

OK well, thanks guys - I guess I have no choice but to take it off the wall then and pop it open. It is still under warranty as I bought it as a refurb only about 4 months ago. It's bloody heavy though and I have already lugged it back to Cancom to have the PSU replaced before. I don't want to have to carry it all that way again! :mad: And how typical that I haven't backed up the hard disk in ages cos I ran out of backup space :rolleyes:

*FRACK™*

iGary
Jun 27, 2006, 04:59 PM
I cannot power it on at all. :(

Oh really? Aaarrgh! I thought it was the A's only. Well that's easier said than done... it's wall-mounted so I will have to un-mount it first. *goddammitall*

I think it must be... obviously when I unplug it the funny little squeaking noise stops. All I get when I plug it back in is this stupid noise. It's plugged into a surge protector strip along with my 17" iMac. The 17" has been switched off anyway as I've not been using it but I've just powered that one up just to test that it's not a problem with the power socket or anything like that.

OK well, thanks guys - I guess I have no choice but to take it off the wall then and pop it open. It is still under warranty as I bought it as a refurb only about 4 months ago. It's bloody heavy though and I have already lugged it back to Cancom to have the PSU replaced before. I don't want to have to carry it all that way again! :mad: And how typical that I haven't backed up the hard disk in ages cos I ran out of backup space :rolleyes:

*FRACK™*

:HUG:

Keep us updated. :)

Applespider
Jun 27, 2006, 04:59 PM
And how typical that I haven't backed up the hard disk in ages cos I ran out of backup space :rolleyes:

*FRACK™*

Now that's especially irritating. Get that screwdriver out again girl...

dcv
Jun 27, 2006, 05:07 PM
I have no luck with iMacs. The first (17") was noisy and the second (20") has been randomly shutting down before. In fact this morning as I left for work I thought that it looked as though it were switched off as I didn't see the sleep light on, but I was in a hurry so didn't check properly. When I got home from work the screen-saver was on, so it must have somehow either woken up or restarted itself, which I thought rather odd. I checked the uptime and it was 0 days 5 hours. Anyway it seemed to be up and running, so I set up my EyeTV schedule to record Lost tonight, left it in sleep mode, went off to the gym... and just got back to find it all off/broken :(

dcv
Jun 27, 2006, 05:34 PM
OK I've diagnosed the problem. I found this (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300908) support article on Apple.com

Have taken it off the wall and followed the instructions. LED 1 lights up, but LED 2 doesn't.

Therefore it's not the PSU... the logic board needs replacing.

I'm gonna have to lug this fracking™ thing back to Cancom again.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Applespider
Jun 27, 2006, 05:36 PM
OTherefore it's not the PSU... the logic board needs replacing.

Ouch! Well... lugging that there will save a trip to the gym one night!

dcv
Jun 27, 2006, 05:49 PM
Ouch! Well... lugging that there will save a trip to the gym one night!

Haha!

Well the only time I can take it there is Saturday since I'm still at work when they close up shop :rolleyes:

Grrr, first the power supply, now the logic board, what next? I'm so tempted by the Intel iMacs now, but I just love the fact that my old G5 can be wall-mounted.

jsw
Jun 27, 2006, 06:00 PM
I'm so tempted by the Intel iMacs now, but I just love the fact that my old G5 can be wall-mounted.
Well, so can the Intel ones...if you don't mind installing a little 7"x7" shelf. :)

On the plus side, they're then easier to remove.

robPOD
Jun 27, 2006, 06:00 PM
Take it back!!!! if its still under warrenty

Queso
Jun 28, 2006, 04:07 AM
Well, so can the Intel ones...if you don't mind installing a little 7"x7" shelf. :)

On the plus side, they're then easier to remove.

and A LOT lighter to carry :)

dcv
Jun 28, 2006, 04:29 AM
OK I am *fuming* right now :mad:

Just got off the phone to Cancom. I explained the problem, told them I'd run the diagnostics and that I thought I needed a new logic board, asked how long it would take to get fixed etc... (up to a couple of weeks by the sounds of it as they'd have to run their own diagnostics then order the parts from Apple). I said ok thanks, I'll bring it in on Saturday. I was then advised that they have a new policy where they will not book stuff in for repair on Saturdays. So basically if you need something fixed, you have to take it to them Mon-Fri 9:30-6pm :rolleyes: ...well that's a ****ing fat load of good if you work in the City from 8-6 isn't it? "No sorry madam, there's nothing we can do". :rolleyes:

I can't take it to the Apple Store as I bought it as a refurb through Cancom so it's under a different warranty, not AppleCare.

Really wish I hadn't bought this machine now, or certainly not from them. It's been more trouble than its worth. :mad: :mad: :mad:

And how the hell do I backup the hard disk now?

Applespider
Jun 28, 2006, 04:34 AM
Take it on Saturday and tell them it's broken (for the second time) - don't say that you were told you couldn't bring it in.

If they object, sit outside the store on the box and point out to every customer going in what Cancom's repair policy is and they'd be better off going elsewhere. I'm sure they'll agree to take it in after that... ;)

Makes mental note not to shop at Cancom... (Is it out of its usual 1 yr Applecare warranty? Might be worth sticking the serial number in at Apple.com to check?)

dcv
Jun 28, 2006, 05:01 AM
Take it on Saturday and tell them it's broken (for the second time) - don't say that you were told you couldn't bring it in.

If they object, sit outside the store on the box and point out to every customer going in what Cancom's repair policy is and they'd be better off going elsewhere. I'm sure they'll agree to take it in after that... ;)

Anyone else want to join me in a Macrumors vs Cancom protest on High St Ken this Saturday? :D

Makes mental note not to shop at Cancom... (Is it out of its usual 1 yr Applecare warranty? Might be worth sticking the serial number in at Apple.com to check?)

That is something I will have to check tonight. I can't remember when the Rev Bs were released... knowing my luck the original 1 year has probably literally just passed. When you buy a refurb through Apple, they actually reset the AppleCare date to the date of purchase of the refurb. With Cancom refurbs you get a separate 1-yr warranty so the original AppleCare isn't reset. I'll check tonight just in case there is a week or so left on it.... *fingers crossed*

Anyone know the procedure for AppleStore repairs? Do I have to call and book a Genius slot or something, or just take it in and wait in line?

I've never had any issues with Cancom before and in fact I *have* booked this iMac and my old iPod in for repairs on a Saturday before. Apparently it's a new policy :rolleyes:

rdowns
Jun 28, 2006, 05:06 AM
Stand outside the store with the banana and a sign that says monkeys make their repair policies or something like that.

Good luck!

dcv
Jun 28, 2006, 05:10 AM
Stand outside the store with the banana and a sign that says monkeys make their repair policies or something like that.

Good luck!

I love that plan :D

Applespider
Jun 28, 2006, 05:12 AM
Anyone else want to join me in a Macrumors vs Cancom protest on High St Ken this Saturday? :D

I'd have been delighted to... except for the small matter than I'm in Scotland!

Anyone know the procedure for AppleStore repairs? Do I have to call and book a Genius slot or something, or just take it in and wait in line?

Without Procare, you have to go and stand in line. You can book some appointments on the day online but it's hit and miss whether you get one since they've changed their policy so you can only see free slots in the next hour or so (of which there are rarely any)

I'd suggest getting there when the store opens, going straight to a display Mac and book yourself in for the first appointment.

dcv
Jun 28, 2006, 05:23 AM
Without Procare, you have to go and stand in line. You can book some appointments on the day online but it's hit and miss whether you get one since they've changed their policy so you can only see free slots in the next hour or so (of which there are rarely any)

I'd suggest getting there when the store opens, going straight to a display Mac and book yourself in for the first appointment.

OMG... I've *seen* that queue in the Apple Store at the weekend. That sounds worse than sitting on the box protesting outside Cancom :(

Well first of all I'll have to figure out if there even is any original AppleCare remaining. Just checked the wonderful guides (http://guides.macrumors.com/iMac_G5) here to find that the rev Bs were introduced in May 2005, so knowing my luck, this was probably one of the first and now out-of-warranty :rolleyes:

Queso
Jun 28, 2006, 05:27 AM
OMG... I've *seen* that queue in the Apple Store at the weekend. That sounds worse than sitting on the box protesting outside Cancom :(
The queue is for making an appointment, but you can bypass it by using any of the Macs in the store and going to the right page on the Regent St. section of Apple.com. Everyone queueing up is only doing so because they don't know otherwise, or in the mistaken belief that they will be immediately seen when they get to the front.

dcv
Jun 28, 2006, 05:34 AM
The queue is for making an appointment, but you can bypass it by using any of the Macs in the store and going to the right page on the Regent St. section of Apple.com. Everyone queueing up is only doing so because they don't know otherwise, or in the mistaken belief that they will be immediately seen when they get to the front.

Ohhhh I see. I've never managed to book a Genius appointment as whenever I've looked on that page it's always told me there are no more appointments left... this is why I have always dealt with Cancom before!

Queso
Jun 28, 2006, 05:37 AM
I don't know whether the machines in the store show different timeslots to the ones out on the Internet. They've changed it all since I last had to book a slot.

dcv
Jun 28, 2006, 04:09 PM
Well what d'ya know...

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7093/imacapplecare9bg.png

3 whole weeks of the original AppleCare remaining :) :) :)

But does this still apply if I bought it as a Cancom refurb? If so, at least that gives me the option to take it to the Apple Store anyway.

Now about my data... can I remove the hard disk from the broken one and put it into my working 17" iMac just so I can take a backup before I take it in for repair? Or is this going to invalidate the warranty on both machines?

Applespider
Jun 28, 2006, 04:22 PM
3 whole weeks of the original AppleCare remaining :) :) :)

But does this still apply if I bought it as a Cancom refurb? If so, at least that gives me the option to take it to the Apple Store anyway.

Should do... the machine isn't a year old and if you're not going to get charged, there's no problem. I would tell the Genius that you're not the original owner though in case they get a call to get their iMac back!

dcv
Jun 28, 2006, 04:36 PM
I would tell the Genius that you're not the original owner though in case they get a call to get their iMac back!

That's a very good point!

Cheers :D

dcv
Jul 10, 2006, 03:40 PM
Well I've been lazy and still haven't taken the hard disk out to back it up...

...but for all you Mac geeks out there, here's a little home movie I made ;) :D :cool:

iMacPr0n (http://dcv.yo-momma.net/movies/macrumors/iMacSqueak.mov) (warning: contains nude scenes)
well the iMac is bare and so is my hand :eek:

Just took this video with my iSight. It shows the power cord being connected to the iMac and the diagnostic LEDs.

LED 1 indicates that trickle voltage from the power supply has been detected. This LED will be ON when the computer is turned off and your power supply is working correctly.
Check.

LED 2 indicates that the main logic board has detected proper power from the power supply when the computer is turned on. This LED will be ON when the computer is turned on and the power supply is working correctly.
Well even before the computer is turned on, you can see from the video that LED 2 appears to be flashing on/off. This is where the squeaking noise is coming from! In the video I then press the internal power button on but nothing happens.

Turn the volume up to hear the squeak!

Macmaniac
Jul 10, 2006, 03:51 PM
Take it in right away and have the Logic board replaced by AppleCare. Don't mess with CanCom, have an authorized repair center do it under AppleCare, much less hassle!

If its not the Logic Board it may also be the PSU from the sound of ur problem!

BlizzardBomb
Jul 10, 2006, 03:51 PM
Well I've been lazy and still haven't taken the hard disk out to back it up...

...but for all you Mac geeks out there, here's a little home movie I made ;) :D :cool:

iMacPr0n (http://dcv.yo-momma.net/movies/macrumors/iMacSqueak.mov) (warning: contains nude scenes)

Just took this video with my iSight. It shows the power cord being connected to the iMac and the diagnostic LEDs.

Check.

Well even before the computer is turned on, you can see from the video that LED 2 appears to be flashing on/off. This is where the squeaking noise is coming from! In the video I then press the internal power button on but nothing happens.

Turn the volume up to hear the squeak!

Are you allowed to post such graphic videos? :p

Hmmm... well this is quite worrying because I thought Apple had sorted out all the Rev. A logic board problems. Sorry to hear that your iMac is being a lazy bugger.

Applespider
Jul 10, 2006, 03:59 PM

That's iSnuff movie territory.

11 days of warranty... get it in there!

pknz
Jul 10, 2006, 09:02 PM
My Rev iMac 20" has had its Logic Board replaced twice now, and now its optical drive has packed it in. It is over Apple Care, but we applied for extended warranty and havent heard back from Apple.

Why won't they just give me an Intel iMac?

Artful Dodger
Jul 10, 2006, 10:57 PM
Don't wait, get that thing in and get it fixed while you still can even if you are mad at it ;) Cool video, never really paid attention what the inside looked like when I put the RAM into my Rev.B iMac.
Good luck and keep us updated :)

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 10, 2006, 11:29 PM
My Rev iMac 20" has had its Logic Board replaced twice now, and now its optical drive has packed it in. It is over Apple Care, but we applied for extended warranty and havent heard back from Apple.

Why won't they just give me an Intel iMac?

I am now typing this on my "old" PB 12" after my recently repaired (replaced the power supply) iMac G5 20" (the one before the iSight being built-in) started doing the same crap of rebooting constantly tonight.
:eek:

And this past week my SuperDrive was giving me problems too. So I went out an bought a couple different disks. Hit or miss on whether I can record to them all.

I am getting fed up with Apple QC. Thought that iGary's issues were limited. But perhaps not. :mad:

I spent a couple of visits in order to get it in the first time since I am not a ProPlan "buyer". Even though they had free techs when I showed up before opening, and had free techs as I argued my case with the "managers".

Maybe I need to weigh my time trouble shooting DLL conflicts in Windows verses poor QC with the Apple product. Maybe there is hope in a Dell PC running OSX. :eek:

At least with those I have talked with, issues with Dell seemed to be more about OS issues than very poor QC issues.

jellybean
Aug 5, 2006, 08:44 PM

As a former disgruntled employee of Cancom (not the kensington one) I'd happily join your protest :D

dcv
Aug 6, 2006, 03:36 AM
As a former disgruntled employee of Cancom (not the kensington one) I'd happily join your protest :D

Excellent! :D

OMG just realised it's been broken for about 6 weeks now and I still haven't found time to take it in for repair.

spicyapple
Aug 6, 2006, 03:49 AM
Did you try pressing that little button next to the battery on the motherboard? I had a problem with my mac similar to it not booting up at all.

dcv
Aug 6, 2006, 03:51 AM
Did you try pressing that little button next to the battery on the motherboard? I had a problem with my mac similar to it not booting up at all.

The internal power button? Yeah, does nothing, won't power on at all. The diagnostics suggest it needs a new logic board.

kyleaa
Aug 6, 2006, 12:42 PM
I am now typing this on my "old" PB 12" after my recently repaired (replaced the power supply) iMac G5 20" (the one before the iSight being built-in) started doing the same crap of rebooting constantly tonight.
:eek:

And this past week my SuperDrive was giving me problems too. So I went out an bought a couple different disks. Hit or miss on whether I can record to them all.

I am getting fed up with Apple QC. Thought that iGary's issues were limited. But perhaps not. :mad:

I spent a couple of visits in order to get it in the first time since I am not a ProPlan "buyer". Even though they had free techs when I showed up before opening, and had free techs as I argued my case with the "managers".

Maybe I need to weigh my time trouble shooting DLL conflicts in Windows verses poor QC with the Apple product. Maybe there is hope in a Dell PC running OSX. :eek:

At least with those I have talked with, issues with Dell seemed to be more about OS issues than very poor QC issues.

I know two people with Dell desktops who have had the hard drive fail. One laptop with a dead hard drive, a laptop whose network card failed for no reason, and a laptop that overheats like it is it's job... as far as quality control, my experience with Dell has been on par with horror stories I've heard on here about Apple. (though Sony comes out right on top as the absolute worst quality control in my book).

kyleaa
Aug 6, 2006, 12:44 PM
Also, when I took my ipod in 2 weeks ago, they still had online reservation from home for the entire day for Geniuses, is this "1 hour" queue something brand new?