Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Does anyone know what the maximum bus speed of any known G4 CPU is?

I am looking to upgrade by the end of the summer and will have almost $2500 to spend ($500 going to a Viewsonic LCD) and I am considering purchasing the newest towers available then.

Will the G4 still be stuck at a 133~167Mhz bus, or is there any possibility that it will be scaled to 200Mhz or higher?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
thanks for the terminus post, and you have the bus speed down. a future revision g4 7457 is supposed to go to 200 but that wont be in production till 4th qtr this year or later according to the post i saw from motorola. 167 looks like it for the 1.25 and 1.42. Lets all pray apple comes out with the 970 or at least announces it then you should have a nice double pumped 450 = 900 bus.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I saw an article about overclocking the G4 Bus speed to from 133 to 167.

The person said he was gonna try when he got the 1.42 to get 167 to a higher mutiplier number.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by samsflagdrummer
Hey, how can you overclock a Mac?
depends on model , i have a 733 that i turned into a 800. thought it would be a nice safe and easy bump(sort of like what motorola has given us through the years) and it was. Mostly my apps opened with less bounces and i picked up a few frame rates on games.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
processors on macs are timed the same way other chips are, so overclocking is basically the same regardless of platforms.

except the macs that already have heat issues.

pnw

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by paulwhannel
processors on macs are timed the same way other chips are, so overclocking is basically the same regardless of platforms.

except the macs that already have heat issues.

pnw

Nah Win can change there BIOS settings and overclock it that way.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
depends on model , i have a 733 that i turned into a 800. thought it would be a nice safe and easy bump(sort of like what motorola has given us through the years) and it was. Mostly my apps opened with less bounces and i picked up a few frame rates on games.

how do you do that?? would it be easy/safe with my 700mhz ibook??

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
You have to do some research and also i wouldnt tell anyone to do something like this unless they have some electronics background ( i do ) and were not afraid that if they killed the cpu they could afford a new one,motherboard or machine. accelerate your macintosh may be a good place to start or you may want to make a new post here asking if anyone has done this , how it went etc. Caution you are about to enter a no spin zone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.