Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I was wondering if it is possible to host my domain on my ibook and get mail and everything. Is this possible? And if so how can I do it?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Just remember that it'll only work as long as the iBook is connected to the Internet on a known/knowable IP and not sleeping/off.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I found out how to do it, but that site doesn't really give much instruction on how to point my domain to my machine, anyone know how?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
realityisterror said:
If you want to do it for free, I recommend either DynDNS or No-IP.

These won't give you clean domain names for free, only subdomains, but I believe No-IP has a paid option for domain names.

I use the free DynDNS with my Linksys WRT54G (it has an option in the prefs to setup DynDNS with my dynamic IP), and I love it! Works great.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hummer said:
I have a dynamic IP.
Then you won't be able to use a registered domain name, as that would require a static IP for the Domain Name Servers to use. Unless, of course, someone more knowledgeable than me can come up with a solution. :)

Edit: FWIW, ASO will host you for $25/year. Pretty decent if your bandwidth requirements are low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.