PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Ad Campaign

Dane D.
Jul 1, 2006, 08:27 AM
I love the new TV ads, especially the one with the pie chart. I use them as my screensaver at work, running over and over just to drive home to the PC users what BS they put up with. Well, it looks like it is striking a nerve in some PC users.

http://www.slate.com/id/2143810/

The chances that I (driver of a 1996 Saturn with 105,000 miles on it) will buy a luxury sedan are essentially nil.

When I read this article, my personal theory of certain car owners was confirmed. I do not like Saturn cars, and always thought the people that bought them were PC geeks.

Mr. Mac comes off as a smug little twit,

You know the ads work when name calling starts. Just like politics, this writer is emotionally charged up about the ad campaign. He takes it as an attack on him personally.

I hope Apple keeps this up because they are funny, and true.

jsfpa
Jul 1, 2006, 08:58 AM
I'm smack in the middle of the target demo. I'm a PC user, and I've often considered switching to an Apple.

He "considered switching", if he had he would see just how true the adds are.

Now, I happen to have a digital camera from Japan, and it works just fine with my PC. It did from the moment I connected it.

He didn't say anything about the software he had to load first.

Timepass
Jul 1, 2006, 09:44 AM
I honestly hate the adds. They are so full of BS. They may work on the average person but any one who knows much about PC it tends to tick off because of how much BS that is in them.

To me Mr Mac is comes off as a smug little prick. And holds the exact veiw of what PC users thing of the mac comminty. It only helps cause more problems in making the view of the mac comminttee as a bunch of smug jerks who just spit out BS even stronger and make it seem even more true.

My mom complained about the ads to me and she not a computer person as all but basicly said they are so full of BS. She said she doesnt have any of those problems they listed. And the computer works the only problems with it are all hardware issues of the fact the computer is 6 years old and is yes slow. Not anything software related at all. And as for the computer getting any real maintance done... yeah I havent really done on thing on if for almost a year now and I would be the only person who would do any of the maintainces on it.

Evangelion
Jul 1, 2006, 04:24 PM
I love the new TV ads, especially the one with the pie chart. I use them as my screensaver at work, running over and over just to drive home to the PC users what BS they put up with.

You do know that doing that makes you seem like a (dare I say it?) "smug little twit" to your co-workers?

Jul 1, 2006, 04:36 PM
Apart form the ads being full of BS, they also fail to induce the desire purchase anything, The advert is about a a product called a "mac."

hmmm very interesting, but what is a mac, the ad shows an image of an imac at the end. ok i'll assume that is the product the advertiser is trying to sell me. However if that is the product why make an comparison between a competing software vendor when the main :) is to sell hardware. It does not make any sense at all.

The contradiction in the "I'm also a pc ad" is where the true error of trying to simultaneously compare software and hard shows. If the mac is a pc and the pc sucks therefore the mac sucks and that is the perspective i believe that majority of people will have.

EricNau
Jul 1, 2006, 05:04 PM
What BS? I find them to be truly accurate. I'm a very experienced PC user, and virtually all of the problems with Windows mentioned in the ads are true.

Jul 1, 2006, 05:17 PM
What BS? I find them to be truly accurate. I'm a very experienced PC user, and virtually all of the problems with Windows mentioned in the ads are true.

windows is not the reason that a pcs usually comes in several different boxes that is a choice that a manufacture makes microsoft has nothing to do with that.

celebrian23
Jul 1, 2006, 05:23 PM
the problem with these ads? Instead of the viewer thinking "man macs seem really cool look at all they can do!" It points its finger at the PCs and says look at everything wrong with them! They don't give good reaons for someone to switch. It makes mac user seem really uppity and like they're better and if you use a PC, well you're stupid and inferior

risc
Jul 1, 2006, 06:13 PM
Those ads are pretentious, I don't like them at all. They make Mac users and the Apple company look like a bunch of wankers.

zap2
Jul 1, 2006, 06:32 PM
windows is not the reason that a pcs usually comes in several different boxes that is a choice that a manufacture makes microsoft has nothing to do with that.

What ad are you talking about? and yes it is MS "fault" that PC comes in different boxes, MS could stop that by using only Dell PC for XP(it would be a made move but it could be done)

Phobophobia
Jul 1, 2006, 07:14 PM
I love the ads. They are edgy and memorable. The key will be for Apple to continue to make better and better products.

Dane D.
Jul 1, 2006, 10:45 PM
Those ads are pretentious, I don't like them at all. They make Mac users and the Apple company look like a bunch of wankers.

It makes mac user seem really uppity and like they're better and if you use a PC, well you're stupid and inferior

You do know that doing that makes you seem like a (dare I say it?) "smug little twit" to your co-workers?

The old adage 'Humor works when based on fact' is working in these ads. Sure they may piss people off, as the above quote suggests, but for the PC people out there looking at switching I believe gets them thinking about Macintosh. It may strike a chord with some who are fed up with the BS of owning an PC. The key is, people remember them.:)

EricNau
Jul 2, 2006, 02:21 AM
...and your point is? :confused:

When does the Apple ad suggest that it is Windows' fault that PCs come in different boxes?

I'll stick by my original statement; the ads are accurate.

the problem with these ads? Instead of the viewer thinking "man macs seem really cool look at all they can do!" It points its finger at the PCs and says look at everything wrong with them! They don't give good reaons for someone to switch. It makes mac user seem really uppity and like they're better and if you use a PC, well you're stupid and inferior
While the ads do point their finger at Windows, they also provide many, many reasons why the the viewer should buy a Mac. Here are some of them...

Macs do not get viruses
Macs do not need to restart daily
Macs are ready out-of-the-box
Macs come bundled with iLife
Macs can do fun things (e.g. podcasting, slideshows, music, etc.)
Macs "speak the language" of many devices
Macs are highly regarded by Walt Mossberg
Macs can run Mac OS X and Windows

...Are those not all reasons to buy a Mac?

Evangelion
Jul 2, 2006, 02:42 AM

Neither does Windows

Macs can do fun things (e.g. podcasting, slideshows, music,

Games ;)?

So does Windows

Walt Mossberg is widely known as the ultimate Mac-fanboy. Is it any surprise that he likes Macs? John Dvorak prefers Windows, should wethen switch to Windows ;)?

Yeah, because I buy my computers based on what Walt Mossberg says about them :rolleyes:

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch: I'm typing this from my Mac Mini running Tiger.

EricNau
Jul 2, 2006, 03:13 AM
Games ;)?
I guess some people have a different idea of "fun." ;)

So does Windows
No, it doesn't. The other day I plugged in my USB flash drive and it tried to install a digital camera. :rolleyes:

Whether or not you consider these reasons valid, they are "reasons" none-the-less. The quote I was replying to said, "They don't give good reaons for someone to switch"; therefore I decided to point out that this wasn't the case.

Evangelion
Jul 2, 2006, 03:46 AM
I guess some people have a different idea of "fun." ;)

Anything that you can do on a Mac is fun, whereas th things you can do on the PC are not fun?

No, it doesn't.

Yes, it doies

The other day I plugged in my USB flash drive and it tried to install a digital camera. :rolleyes:

Anecdotal evidence does not get you far.

Whether or not you consider these reasons valid, they are "reasons" none-the-less. The quote I was replying to said, "They don't give good reaons for someone to switch"; therefore I decided to point out that this wasn't the case.

You pointed out things that aren't issues in the first place. "You can't have fun on a PC". Um, yes you can. "PC's need to be rebooted daily". No they dont. "Walt Mossberg loves Macs!" Well, whoop-de-do! What are we, sheeps that do whatever Walt Mossberg tells us to do?

Phobophobia
Jul 2, 2006, 04:07 AM
The points in the commercials are valid. Go back to your Mac Mini.

Evangelion
Jul 2, 2006, 04:09 AM

Some of them are, some of them are not. If you REALLY think that PC's need to be restarted daily, then I must assume that the last time you used a PC was back in Windows ME-days? And if you think that you can't have fun on a PC, then you are deluding yourself.

EricNau
Jul 2, 2006, 01:04 PM
Thank you.

Evangelion
Jul 3, 2006, 03:30 AM
Thank you.

Living in denial, eh ;)?

asxtb
Jul 3, 2006, 05:34 AM
Macs do not get viruses
Macs are ready out-of-the-box
Macs come bundled with iLife
Macs can do fun things (e.g. podcasting, slideshows, music, etc.)
Macs can run Mac OS X and Windows

While I agree with most of those, I have to disagree with Mac are ready out-of-the-box. Especially the way the ads depict it. I just setup a new MacBook for my girlfriend and I spent 10 minutes with all the registration and initial setup and there were free trials on the Mac as well. IMO Macs are not as ready out-of-the-box as they are claimed to be.

Phobophobia
Jul 3, 2006, 10:05 AM
Living in denial, eh ?

The "PC" character is there to illustrate the substandard computing experience that many people have become accustomed to. It's not intended to represent the best possible Windows experience, and doesn't have to.

Evangelion
Jul 3, 2006, 10:34 AM
The "PC" character is there to illustrate the substandard computing experience that many people have become accustomed to.

And like I already said: you CAN do fun things on a PC. In fact, you can do MORE fun things on PC than on a Mac (games are fun). And PC's do NOT need to be restarted daily. Yes, the ads do have some true things in them, but they have lots of things that are simply not true.

Yes, the ads are funny. But I'm not sure that how effective they are at converting people to Macism.

Phobophobia
Jul 3, 2006, 10:39 AM
Whatever. I'm sure someone understood my post.

taytho
Jul 3, 2006, 10:54 AM
i understand and after having experience with PCs for ever and finally switching because of the frustration i had with them i understand the commercials fully. I unloaded my iBook in front of my parents when i got it after college...... and opened the lid, turned it on. put my name in a couple places and then it was just running....... they were amazed and frankly so was i. I didnt have to run anything, it just worked.

the bottom line is i didnt trust my PC and always felt like it was going to screw me over bigtime. It is a computer. It is supposed to just work, and be a reliable tool and that is exactly what my mac is. Peace of mind.

Evangelion
Jul 3, 2006, 11:29 AM

Well, I sure as hell don't. You basically say that the claims made in the ads are true. Some are, and some are not. Yes, OS X is miles ahead of Windows. No, Windows does not crash constantly. I'm actually planning to get a MacIntel, and I would be dual-booting, because Mac simp,y does not let me do all the fun things I could do with Windows. And there are LOTS of people who feel the same way. That is a FACT.

drake
Jul 3, 2006, 01:02 PM

Thing is, the problems all exist on the Mac as well but just go by a different name.

EricNau
Jul 3, 2006, 02:18 PM
While I agree with most of those, I have to disagree with Mac are ready out-of-the-box. Especially the way the ads depict it. I just setup a new MacBook for my girlfriend and I spent 10 minutes with all the registration and initial setup and there were free trials on the Mac as well. IMO Macs are not as ready out-of-the-box as they are claimed to be.
When compared to Windows, Macs are ready out-of-the-box. It may take 5 minutes of registration and one restart for updates, but it took me DAYS to get my PC in order. I installed update after update and had to restart upwards of 5 times.

EricNau
Jul 3, 2006, 02:19 PM
... No, Windows does not crash constantly. ...
...And when does the ad say that Windows constantly crashes?

BornAgainMac
Jul 3, 2006, 03:08 PM
I don't think the author is the target for the ads. He is entrenched in Windows so deep that he can never leave Windows. The Ads are targeting the lemmings that need to replace their Windows 98/95/ME/2000 PC at home. Perhaps showing how uncool they are will get them to switch.

Evangelion
Jul 4, 2006, 01:13 AM
...And when does the ad say that Windows constantly crashes?

In the "Freezing PC"-ad?

toxicbomber
Jul 21, 2006, 10:46 PM
The first day I installed windows on my mac it had a virus and made it crash. That was Windows XP with service pack 2.... >_> You sir, fail. Now go back into your hole PC fan boy. ;)

chrismccorkle
Jul 22, 2006, 01:21 AM
I hope Apple keeps this up because they are funny, and true.

Apple, in essence, has nothing to lose.
Keep them coming! Release them in a DMG and include it in the next Software Update.

dsnort
Jul 23, 2006, 07:36 PM
I switched to Macs in January of this year. Previous to that I had PC's for 10 tears, everything from Windows 95 to XP Home SP2. I find the ads very accurate.

1. In 10 years I never once connnected a perpheral device to a Win box that I wasn't asked to insert an installation disk for drivers or 3rd party software, or both. Everything I've hooked to my Mac "Just Works". Right "Out of the Box".Everything from printers, to digital cameras, analog camcorders, etc, etc, etc( Good thing too since I still haven't found the install disk for my older printer)

2. My PC's didn't need to be restarted everyday. Once or twice a week on average was sufficient. In the six months I've had my iMac, I've never had to restart, and only had it freeze up maybe 3 times. ( Always the same issue, Excel for Mac wouldn't quit when asked to)

I think a lot of people find the Mac character smug because he is pointing out truths that they would like to deny as they challenge their own personal comfortable delusions. I find both he AND the PC character likeable, and see the ads as gentle ribbing.

PS For Evangelion, just because someone doesn't accept your reasoning doesn't mean they are living in denial. That is a cheap and sordid debate tactic, unworthy of reasoned response.

PPS For Timepass. It is spelled "community". If you get a Mac, the dictionary is built in.

Mac Rules
Jul 23, 2006, 07:52 PM
I gotta say, I think the ads are quite good. Even though I am a current Windows user and waiting until WWDC for a merom MBP, I don't think the ads are entirely correct as previously mentioned, but they are still funny and they do hit some nerves with Windows users....viruses, fun-stuff, out of the box usability. If you own a Mac, then you know how good they are so why worry about these ad campaigns, you've already been pursuaded:D

Cheers

Killyp
Jul 23, 2006, 08:22 PM
I think the ads are pretty accurate.

My Dell (top of the range!!!) PC had to be 'restarted' every day in the form of not being able to be Standby'd (is that right?) because it just waked up instantly from standby. It went back to a Dell service center in Bath 4 times for that. Still not fixed. Also, every time I tried to close Cubase SX, it would get 'stuck' and the only way to quit Cubase (which would just sit there with a blank white Windows) was to hold down the power button for 8 seconds as it prevented the computer from shutting down. It still did this after a complete system format (which I used to do every 3 or 4 months).

I didn't actually have any virus protection for the first 2 months, and 2 months after getting the computer, I lost all my work and files. I wonder why? Does the same thing happen on a Mac? No...

My MBP is a million times more fun than my PC. I couldn't install any games on my PC at all as they always stopped Cubase from running (something to do with a registry conflict according to Sound Control) and PCs are generally pretty poor when it comes to doing games without spending big money on hardware. You should see Counter Strike 2 running full res on a 30" Apple Display. WOW!!!!

Really though, if you want to do gaming, get an XBox or Wii. They are dedicated games machines, which is why they are the best for.... gaming!

All that about Windows having to install software for USB devices etc... is very true. Let's look at a recent 'swaparound' I had to do. I didn't have a printer, but we did have a family epson printer and a combi printer/scanner that my mum wasn't using any more. So I take the combi machine down to our family PC, connect it up and surprise surprise, it asks me for a CD to install the software. I insert the CD and while the Microsoft Windows Add New Hardware nonsense is running, it also tries to run the 'AutoRun' installer package, at the same time. I try to cancel one of them, but it doesn't want to. It just hangs. The whole machine is responding slowly, and this is by no means a slow computer. It's got a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4 in it, 2 GB RAM, a Hard Drive which I partitioned into 3, one with XP, one for Apps and another for the virtual memory (swap file). It also had a complete format about 4 months ago. So there I am on this pretty powerful computer waiting for it to start responding again. No option to quit the Microsoft installer, so I try and quit the manufacturer's installer package, which gives me a white window and slows the whole computer right down. I sit there for about 20 mins, hoping the thing will start responding again, but nope, nothing happens. So I power it off at the mains, and power it back up again. Goes through the normal boot process (which is butt-ugly btw) and I log in (which is also already very jerky). I get back to the desktop and this time round, for some reason, the microsoft one asks what I want to do (Auto Search for the software or install from a specific location). I click cancel and it says "The hardware was not installed properly, it may not work" (well duh). I then let the AutoPlay load, and go through the process of that. When that's finished, it says I need to run the Microsoft Add New Hardware wizard (which it just expects me to know is situated in the control panel). I run that and it says it couldn't find any new hardware. So it asks me to go to a list of hardware and I find the uninstalled hardware with a little ? next to it on one of the USB tree branches. I double click on that and FINALLY the printer drivers are installing. It runs to the end OK, and I click FINISH. I try to print a page and... nothing. Oh yeah, it still hasn't set it to be the default printer in the control panel (of course, everybody knows all about that, everyone was born with that knowledge, I'm sure a computer newbie would completely understand that).

FINALLY it's printing!!! Wahay! Well, the scanner part doesn't work yet, but I'm working on that... :D

So I've mostly go the 'new' family printer (the combi machine) working on our family PC. Now I take the Epson stylus C64 printer from the family PC desk and take it up to my room. I place it on the desk, connect it to the USB hub I use with my MacBook Pro and, nothing happens. Well I try searching for 'drivers' in the System Preferences, but that's useless, so I go into the printer setup. Lowe and behold, it's there, ready to go and it even has a little picture of my printer with it logically named: "Epson Stylus C64", no "COPY1" or anything after the name, just nice and neat. I go into iPhoto, choose a favourite picture of mine (one of me sitting in a friend's dad's Ferrari) and click File > Print. No settings need to be changed and I click the PRINT button. No long wait while it tries to find the printer, it just whirrs into action and starts printing! OS X is just UNBELIEVABLE at working with external hardware, especially in comparison to Windows!

I've used PCs for all my life, and OS X for the past few months and I've done far more on my MBP than I would even want to risk attempting on my Windows/Ubuntu based Dell machine!

Apple are right, Macs do work pretty much 'out of the box'!

Tymmz
Jul 24, 2006, 04:28 AM
!double post!

Tymmz
Jul 24, 2006, 04:30 AM
I love those ads. Even I had quite some fun with my xp machine (games, movie maker) I would say the ads represent the overall experience with windows machines.

With my PB I never had to worry about 3rd party peripherals (drivers) or viruses. And that's a huge thing for me.

glassbathroom
Jul 26, 2006, 09:30 AM
I like the ads but I don't think they are very good (if you catch my drift). Great for a mac audience, but too smug for the rest of the world.

jackc
Jul 26, 2006, 09:47 AM
As people have said before, the ads just don't ring true for PC users. I hated using a Dell as much as anyone here, but to say that a PC is good for spreadsheets and timesheets, and Macs are good for everything else, is just wrong. And the type of PC consumer that would be interested in using iLife knows it.

There's no need for so much embellishment, Macs really are better. Just tell us why.

bradc
Jul 26, 2006, 04:59 PM
Those ads are far-fetched. I mean if you know how to handle Windows it's awesome too. Windows XP & 2000 are brilliant. I think Apple is trying to appeal inexperienced users here. The ads are a too far from the truth, except the virus issues.

After G
Jul 26, 2006, 05:40 PM
I don't think the ads are all that far from the truth.

Most of us here probably know how to take care of our computers, OS X, Windows, or Linux. You know, things like updating, turning on the firewall, not downloading things, not opening random e-mails. The problem is that most people don't want to be bothered, or don't know how. They just want their computer to work, and not to crash because they accidentally clicked on "Free cursors for your desktop".

Just compare a Mac lab and a PC lab. How much time does IT spend on the Windows machines versus the Macs? If you have the time, you can get anything to run. You don't spend a bunch of time maintaining your car, or your appliances, or your TV; why should you have to do it for your computer? The computer is a tool, nothing more.

mjstew33
Jul 26, 2006, 11:41 PM
How much time does IT spend on the Windows machines versus the Macs?
Literally.

There was one person managing 500 iMacs/eMacs at my old school.

ONE PERSON.

Compared to my new school... well, that's another story. ;)

WannabeMacUser
Jul 30, 2006, 09:58 AM
To me the ads are very disrespectful. the term PC means personal computer so Macs ARE PC's (How many times have we heard this?). The ads are bull. What macs CAn do PC's can do just the same.

So macs have fewer viruses. That doesnt mean that they have NO viruses. The pie chart one is bull as well..

What do you mean PC's cant play music, video, internet? Bull! You can also play better games on a PC.

Macs crash as well. They overheat too.

No real difference between macs and pc's except the name and product. The competition is bullcrap.

mduser63
Jul 30, 2006, 12:49 PM
So macs have fewer viruses. That doesnt mean that they have NO viruses.

Uhh, actually Macs have exactly zero viruses. There were a couple unsuccessful, but over-publicized Trojans with VERY low infection numbers (if any), but no true viruses for Mac OS X.

(Don't take this response to mean I agree with your other points, I just didn't want to take the time to respond to them all.)

LoveMacMini
Jul 30, 2006, 02:37 PM
I hate the commercials. I mean I already know Mac users in general [on my campus atleast] are self centered trendy pricks.

These commercials just rub it in even more.