PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9700 arrival...


ottomatic
Mar 3, 2003, 05:25 PM
Anybody out there have the slightest idea when this is going to be available as a BTO?

What exactly does available soon mean when it was announced a month ago?

Has Apple ever featured a product on thier site that was supposed to be available but wasn't?

Everytime I configure my Dream Machine I get an error about availability and 'try again'.

Wouldn't they know how much to charge for it by now? I don't mind waiting for it but I'm tired of checking for it every single day!

p.s.

thanks for letting me vent folks...

timbloom
Mar 3, 2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by ottomatic

Has Apple ever featured a product on thier that was supposed to be available but wasn't?


Dunno if you were around for the same GF3 fiasco like this, but they actually let people order the machines, but kept them on backorder till the card's were ready.
If they have it on the website allready, than they expected it earlier by now, either ATI or Apple is having problem with making them. Could even be as simple as unfinished drivers though..

ottomatic
Mar 3, 2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by timbloom
Dunno if you were around for the same GF3 fiasco like this, but they actually let people order the machines, but kept them on backorder till the card's were ready.
If they have it on the website allready, than they expected it earlier by now, either ATI or Apple is having problem with making them. Could even be as simple as unfinished drivers though..

Hmmm...
not a very impressive strategy on thier part. Why do you think they haven't worked out the pricing?

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 3, 2003, 05:54 PM
They did this same crap with the geforce3, it finally was available but only as as bto option 6 months later or so the finally started selling the card by itself. I think the reason for this is that apple has to make these cards and then make it work unlike the pc world. So when they get it right they probably will have a limited number that they will sell only with new macs. By the way i just saw that the 9700 gpu will be bumped up by ati, who knows how long it will take before we see it in the mac world.

GigaWire
Mar 3, 2003, 06:11 PM
The Radeon is $300, same as the GF3.

ottomatic
Mar 3, 2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by GigaWire
The Radeon is $300, same as the GF3.

So why wouldn't they just pre-sell it?
Why sacrifice immediate sales and risk
pissing someone off?

MacsRgr8
Mar 5, 2003, 09:12 AM
Does this all mean that the card would only be available for BTO machines?
So us "lucky" MDD (or any other G4 AGP 4x) owners have to wait another two months before we could order it.... Damn it.
By that time the PC world will have considered the "old" 9700 as absolete, and the bumped 9700 (=9800?) will be available everywhere for the same price as the 9700 for Mac.
It really never changes.

timbloom
Mar 5, 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by ottomatic
So why wouldn't they just pre-sell it?
Why sacrifice immediate sales and risk
pissing someone off?

I guess this is just a matter of opinion, would it make you more mad to have your machine waiting for a month after you ordered it, or not being able to order it for a month.

ottonian
Mar 5, 2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by timbloom
I guess this is just a matter of opinion, would it make you more mad to have your machine waiting for a month after you ordered it, or not being able to order it for a month.

Not being able to order it is worse.
If I have ordered and am waiting I'm not checkin the Apple site every day to see if I can please spend $3500. Oh please please please take my money that I've been saving for the last four years...