Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alienmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
San Diego
I own a BMW and when I'm driving it people give me a thumbs up or the "nod". Motorcyle riders give the traditional underhand point. It's code for "right on, I'm with you".

Saying that, do you find the Mac owners have the same type of feeling? Do you give the nod when you see another Mac user? I get a feeling it's like its a tight knit family.

Is this true to an extent?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Yeah.. if I see someone using an Apple notebook, I usually try to give them the little nod. While they probably aren't as nerdy as me, I still try to give the "Apple user" nod.

It's really bad at grand openings. All nods and "hey, nice setup" and "how much ram in that baby?"

I love it. :p

climhazzard85

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
Yeah.. if I see someone using an Apple notebook, I usually try to give them the little nod. While they probably aren't as nerdy as me, I still try to give the "Apple user" nod.

It's really bad at grand openings. All nods and "hey, nice setup" and "how much ram in that baby?"

I love it. :p

Depends, if their Mac is not as nice as mine, they got a nod. If it is nicer and I am jealous they get the middle finger. :p

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hehe, I was playing WoW the other day with TeamSpeex running and I heard the characteristic "Funk" sound effect. Quick! To the Inspect drawer so I can find out who the Mac user is! :p

alienmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
San Diego
I'm guess this is NOT the apple nod., lol.
Photo_1453.JPG

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Yeah definitely. It happens at uni all the time where lots of people have Mac laptops. I was using mine one day and a guy comes up to me asking if I knew how to get all the proxy settings right to connect to the wireless network (he had an iBook). I had been having similar difficulties but in about 5 minutes of helping each other out, it was all sorted! :)

The only thing I don't like is some of the attitudes of non-mac users. They often say something negative about Macs or assume that you are really rich because you own one. :rolleyes:

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I love seeing Mac users. I found some mac stickers so I will put one on my car.

My new school everyone is required to have a Mac so it wont be any big deal. But at Starbucks or Barnes & Nobles I always give a nod or smile.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The other day at work I was paired with a colleague I hadn't met before; we worked really well together as a team throughout the afternoon, which was busy. Finally things slowed down a bit and we were able to chit-chat. Then one of the Windows machines burped and we had to fiddle with it. She muttered, "I HATE Windows!" I nodded. "I do, too." I added, "I use a Mac at home."" She beamed. "Me, too!" We bonded in Mac sisterhood as we exchanged info about our respective machines.

Anyone looking at my car is going to quickly realize that, hey, I'm a Mac user...I've got the Rainbow Apple stickers on both side windows and the white Apple sticker on my rear bumper.

Mac rules....

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
It's not that Mac users have an attitude, but more so that pc users assume we do. For some reason whenever I mention I have a Mac to a pc user they always start bagging me out and telling me all the wild stories of why Macs are too expensive, too out dated, non-compatible, blah blah blah. I don't even have to say what kind of Mac I have. So if I get on the defensive then I'm told I have an attitude like all Mac users. :rolleyes:

It's like the Masons. You know we are out there, but it's difficult to tell who we are, unless we want you to know. :)

Also like the Masons people in the lower eschalons of the society aren't really aware of what's going on at the upper levels. (e.g. I just learned about the "official nod")

From the whispers I hear, it was a deemed a nod was the best form of greeting b/c Katie Ta Achoo is a hand model as well as the 36th Level Mac Pubah, and she doesn't want to risk her precious assets by touching the commoners. :D

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Boggle said:
From the whispers I hear, it was a deemed a nod was the best form of greeting b/c Katie Ta Achoo is a hand model as well as the 36th Level Mac Pubah, and she doesn't want to risk her precious assets by touching the commoners. :D

Heck yea, I don't know what kind of hand diseases I'd get from touching the commoners. Eewww.

:D:D :p

I kid, I kid!

It'd be so cool if we could start a secret handshake, though. :p

katie ta achoo said:
Heck yea, I don't know what kind of hand diseases I'd get from touching the commoners. Eewww.

:D:D :p

*violent sneeze, wipe nose w/ sleeve* What do you mean diseases? We don't got no stinking diseases!

katie ta achoo said:
I kid, I kid!

It'd be so cool if we could start a secret handshake, though. :p
It could be just like fight club...

The 1st Rule of Macin' Friends is:
You do not talk about Macin' Friends.
The 2nd Rule of Macin' Friends is:
You do not talk about Macin' Friends.

alienmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
San Diego
How bout you guys with the new Macbooks? Will you look down on the guys (me) with the Powerbook? Who knows maybe Mac users will begin to start gangs and beat up on thier own kind...

The Old school Apple Revolution has started...:eek:

powerbookgang.jpg

alienmac said:
How bout you guys with the new Macbooks? Will you look down on the guys (me) with the Powerbook? Who knows maybe Mac users will begin to start gangs and beat up on thier own kind...

The Old school Apple Revolution has started...:eek:

Nah, I simply call 911 and say that some tatoo'd punks in local gang colors are running around the neighborhood stealing computer equipment. :D

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Bern said:
It's not that Mac users have an attitude, but more so that pc users assume we do.

You gotta roll with the punches. Working in primarily Windows-centric environments, I've become used to being confronted about being a Macintosh user. I'm fairly non-confrontational, so I let them spew vitriol or any legitimate gripes, with little response (these are pieces of hardware/software we're talking about, after all). Personally, I think it's better to know any and all alternatives so as to make an informed opinion, but... whatever. The common complaint was gaming, and I inform them that I don't use my Macintosh for gaming, and then proceed to inform them that, if I get the itch, all my gaming needs are met by Escape Velocity and the Marathon series. Now I just say two words, "Boot Camp."

If I see someone with an Apple laptop or machine, I usually fire up a discussion with them to see how much they know; otherwise I will do the nod as well, though I'm not sure if they understand why I'm nodding. :D Other than that, I'm not too outward about my computing preferences, though I do have a few Apple stickers at work.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
I dont think we have a attitude, its being different, people dont know how to communicate with us different people.. u know, were not "normal".

Over here there are so few macs that when I see a mac I go over and strike up a conversation (if the owner is hot I might consider throwing in a hug:D ), even if the person is a total computer newb they always aprecaite the attention they get.

jellybean

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
I once had an interview at an Apple reseller in the city but I didn't know where it was or how to get there. So I went into the transport information place and asked how do I get to this address and showed him the name and address of the shop. He instantly said "ahh..are you having your mac repaired there?" and I said no I have an interview there, and he said "well in that case I'm more than happy to help. If it was an IBM on the other hand..." lol :D

So yes, a lot of mac users do have that attitude. It's like you suddenly realise you have this strange connection with a complete stranger lol

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I usually make a quick exit in those situations, the smug clouds make it hard to breathe.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
max_altitude said:
Yeah definitely. It happens at uni all the time where lots of people have Mac laptops. I was using mine one day and a guy comes up to me asking if I knew how to get all the proxy settings right to connect to the wireless network (he had an iBook). I had been having similar difficulties but in about 5 minutes of helping each other out, it was all sorted! :)

I generally had the opposite experience.. I would be happily connected to the wireless network and surfing away, and a Windows laptop user would ask "What settings did you use to get connected? I can't figure this out!" and I would say "I dunno, I just .. connected.. it just works for me.."

Hey, I took that kind of subtle bashing from my Mac-using friends before I switched, so now it's my turn :D

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I always give the 'nod' to fellow Apple users. It's surprising to me how many know exactly what you're doing, as opposed to just assuming you're some kind of weirdo. People usually have to talk to me for at least 30 seconds to come to the conclusion that I am, in fact, some kind of weirdo.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.