PDA

View Full Version : Great design Apple could use for two-button pro mouse.

medea
Mar 4, 2003, 08:24 AM
http://www.macmice.com/products.html
MacMice today announced the availability of its Optical Mouse for "Macintosh users who like the design of Apple's Pro Mouse, but who want to enjoy 2-button and scrollwheel functions." It tilts left and right instead of having buttons.

evoluzione
Mar 4, 2003, 09:06 AM
Very nice it is too, i thinks I might get me one. Very impressed

backspinner
Mar 4, 2003, 09:26 AM
maybe now it is available to the wide public, but I remember that the design is a year old already

Mr. Anderson
Mar 4, 2003, 09:36 AM
ah, the two button option is actually tilting the mouse left or right, interesting.

I like the design, but before I would buy it, I'd want to take it for a test drive.

Anyone ever use this mouse?

D

D0ct0rteeth
Mar 4, 2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
ah, the two button option is actually tilting the mouse left or right, interesting.

I like the design, but before I would buy it, I'd want to take it for a test drive.

Anyone ever use this mouse?

D

Yep. Ive used it.

it photographs well but I don't care for it. It feels very cheap and is definitly not worth the fourty bucks.

-Doc

mnkeybsness
Mar 4, 2003, 02:40 PM
i would really like to try one of these out also...

and it DOES photograph well, i can tell that much. it looks increadible!

timbloom
Mar 4, 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
Yep. Ive used it.

it photographs well but I don't care for it. It feels very cheap and is definitly not worth the fourty bucks.

-Doc

Can you tell us how the "buttons" feel, that kind of setup makes me iffy on if it will be actually comfortable with longterm use.

MacRumorSkeptic
Mar 4, 2003, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know if the scroll wheel can double as a third button? It seems like it would be the perfect mouse if it had bluetooth.

idkew
Mar 4, 2003, 03:27 PM
definitely over a year old.

from what i remember, people were not to excited about the tilting thing. i think it clicked accidently too often...

void
Mar 4, 2003, 03:59 PM
OMFG!!! 40 dollars! I've had this mouse for like a year and it cost me 23 dolars from colorcase.com (http://www.colorcase.com/crysneonopmo.html) ! They even used the same pictures!!! I will bet my computer that they are even manufactured at the same factory!!! Oh and it is a great mouse, the turning motion takes all of 5 minutes to get used to and it does not accidentally click. DO NOT BUY FROM THERE UNLESS YOURE THE TYPE THAT WIPES THEMSELF WITH 100 DOLLAR BILLS!!!

agreenster
Mar 4, 2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by vjv
OMFG!!! 40 dollars! I've had this mouse for like a year and it cost me 23 dolars from colorcase.com (http://www.colorcase.com/crysneonopmo.html) ! They even used the same pictures!!! I will bet my computer that they are even manufactured at the same factory!!! Oh and it is a great mouse, the turning motion takes all of 5 minutes to get used to and it does not accidentally click. DO NOT BUY FROM THERE UNLESS YOURE THE TYPE THAT WIPES THEMSELF WITH 100 DOLLAR BILLS!!!

Way to freak out over 17 bucks.

evoluzione
Mar 4, 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
Way to freak out over 17 bucks.

~cracks up~

one question i just thought of.... when you need to hold down the button and drag, the apple mouse has the two little bits on the sides that you can grip the mouse with, i don't see a way of doing that with this one. a pain or no?

void
Mar 4, 2003, 05:52 PM
oh yeah just remembered- dragging is a b1tch with this mouse...

icetraxxg5
Mar 4, 2003, 06:32 PM
Umm... For those of you that say this is a rip off of the other mice then read MacMice's FAQ

http://www.macmice.com/faq.html

;)

scem0
Mar 4, 2003, 08:56 PM
that is a very nice mouse. I would get one if I could buy a mouse
whenever I wanted. ;)

kylos
Mar 4, 2003, 09:22 PM
This is a design I suggested a while ago. I love the apple pro mouse, but it simply needs two buttons. The MacMouse does need the side tabs, though, like the pro mouse.

daniel77
Mar 4, 2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by medea
MacMice today announced the availability of its Optical Mouse for "Macintosh users who like the design of Apple's Pro Mouse, but who want to enjoy 2-button and scrollwheel functions." It tilts left and right instead of having buttons.

at my local compusa, they had that mouse next to the 15.2 tibook, although it was in all white

timbloom
Mar 5, 2003, 12:17 AM
I still have to say my Logitech MX700 mouse is the best mouse I have ever owned. The $79 price tag is pretty hefty, but I found mine for $20 less than that.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=3&CONTENTID=4999&ad=home_promo&countryid=19&languageid=1

Considering Apple charges out the you-know-what for their wired one-button mouse, this isn't that bad. I have owned a ton of mice in my time, but this one really takes the cake. my hands are slightly large for it, but after I got used to that, I no longer casually browse the mice section at the computer stores, wishing for more.

ThoughtKriminal
Mar 7, 2003, 01:06 PM
im probably in the minority, but i actually perfer the 1 button pro mouse. command, option, or control clicks arent any problem..

medea
Mar 7, 2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by ThoughtKriminal
im probably in the minority, but i actually perfer the 1 button pro mouse. command, option, or control clicks arent any problem..
Actually I like the one button myself and have no problems using it, but since so many people complain about it I'd imagine that if Apple did release a two button mouse it would still have the same design as the current pro-mouse and this mouse is about as close as it comes to that.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Mar 8, 2003, 03:31 PM
That diamond shape looks awful, in my opinion. I'd rather have it look exactly like the Apple Pro mouse, then, and only then, would I buy it.

beatle888
Mar 8, 2003, 04:20 PM

it looks alot like apples pro mouse, except for the tappering and lines on the top. i think the lines on top offer nothing to the look or function. and i dont think tilting it to the left or right would be very friendly when your cutting a path or doing any detail work in photo editing. you would have to tilt the mouse while you controled the direction of the mouse movement. just my impressions.

and what about when you need to reposition the mouse? you can do this with a buttoned mouse by clicking and holding the button down while you draw your lines AND lift the mouse up to reposition the mouse and continue your line.

how would you do this on a mouse that requires you to tilt it left or right for button functions?

Jaykay
Mar 8, 2003, 06:26 PM
Actually I like the one button myself and have no problems using it, but since so many people complain about it I'd imagine that if Apple did release a two button mouse it would still have the same design as the current pro-mouse and this mouse is about as close as it comes to that.

I cant see Apple ever fully abandoning the one button mouse thing its very mac like.

But hey, i love my apple pro mouse and use it for everything i do (FCP, Premiere, Livemotio, Golive etc.) works fine.