PDA

View Full Version : NEW iPod soon???


yzedf
Mar 4, 2003, 10:00 AM
So I am guessing that there will be a new iPod, new iTunes, and the new DL'able music service all announced (and available) together, right? A new service with better software (free update for 'older' iPod and iTunes) and new hardware to use it. That could be a winning combination that keeps Apple ahead of the posers in the hdd based mp3 player crowd.

Bear
Mar 4, 2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
So I am guessing that there will be a new iPod, new iTunes, and the new DL'able music service all announced (and available) together, right?
...
This would be my guess as well. I wonder how much smaller AAC would make my music library. I don't think it would be worth going through my CD colleciton again. Although if the sound quality is all it is supposed to be, I can see doing new CDs that way, and maybe redoing CDs as I have time or more likely as I want to change what is on my iPod.

RBMaraman
Mar 4, 2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
So I am guessing that there will be a new iPod, new iTunes, and the new DL'able music service all announced (and available) together, right? A new service with better software (free update for 'older' iPod and iTunes) and new hardware to use it. That could be a winning combination that keeps Apple ahead of the posers in the hdd based mp3 player crowd.

I think your right about releasing everything together. It would be a very smart move. Here are my predictions:

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003 we will see:
1. Apple Music Service.
2. iTunes 4.
3. New iPod(s).
4. Software Update For Old iPod(s).

Le Big Mac
Mar 4, 2003, 12:16 PM
that getting licenses for music signed is not what's delaying the new iPods. At this point, claims of high holiday demand (or just high demand) cannot explain the absence of a 5 gb ipod.

Jaykay
Mar 4, 2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
all announced (and available) together, right?

Oh what a day that would be.........


Originally posted by Bear
I don't think it would be worth going through my CD colleciton again.

What about if iTunes 4 had a special way of converting all your MP3s and replacing them with the AAC files... (and not just the standard converter)

It would save a lot of space (wouldnt really affect sound quality if they were already recorded).

Anyways.. I wonder will apple just have AAC files on the music sharing thing or will ya get MP3 as well.. i think the copyright thing might be an issue.

timbloom
Mar 4, 2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
At this point, claims of high holiday demand (or just high demand) cannot explain the absence of a 5 gb ipod.

Well, the possible conclusion for that would be that Apple assumed the 5 gig wouldn't sell well during the holidays, and was discontinuing them, so they didn't have a bunch in stock. Over the holidays, they sold like hot cakes, so it depleated stocks for them before the updates were planned.

Bear
Mar 4, 2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Jaykay
...
What about if iTunes 4 had a special way of converting all your MP3s and replacing them with the AAC files... (and not just the standard converter)

It would save a lot of space (wouldnt really affect sound quality if they were already recorded).

...
Actually anytime you convert something from one compressed format to another, you lower the quality of sound. The same is true with images as well.

So, I do not consider this an option.

And as for the space issue, I don't care about it on the Mac, I have plenty of disk space. On an iPod, it's an issue, which is why I might do things slowly.

swahilibill
Mar 4, 2003, 04:36 PM
this is getting stupid, why does apple not just release the ****ing ipods, i have been waiting along with other people. With all of the god damn waiting we better get a awesome price drop and something better than that stainless **** thats on the back that scratches so ****ing easily!!!!

chicagdan
Mar 4, 2003, 04:52 PM
On Tuesday, April 1, 2003 we will see:
1. Apple Music Service.
2. iTunes 4.
3. New iPod(s).
4. Software Update For Old iPod(s).

After all the time we've waited for an iPod refresh, would you really believe an April Fools Day launch?

MacFan25
Mar 4, 2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by swahilibill
this is getting stupid, why does apple not just release the ****ing ipods, i have been waiting along with other people. With all of the god damn waiting we better get a awesome price drop and something better than that stainless **** thats on the back that scratches so ****ing easily!!!!
I think that it is time for an update too. Some people, including me, have been waiting since before MWSF for the updates. I think that it would be a good idea, though, if Apple released a Music Service, iTunes 4, and iPods on the same day. Hopefully, iPod updates will come soon!

MacFan25
Mar 4, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by chicagdan
After all the time we've waited for an iPod refresh, would you really believe an April Fools Day launch?

I am hoping that iPods will be updated before then, but I guess that I can wait until April 1. Do you not think Apple would not release something on April Fool's Day, because it would be April Fool's Day?

MacFan25
Mar 4, 2003, 05:40 PM
sorry, I hit quote instead of edit....delete this post please.