PDA

View Full Version : London restaurant recommendation?

Blue Velvet
Jul 5, 2006, 11:28 AM
Can anyone personally recommend some really nice places to eat in central London?

Ideally, I'm looking for a place to celebrate some extremely good news... not a bar that does food. Don't mind spending up to £35 for mains etc.

Thanks
BV

dcv
Jul 5, 2006, 11:32 AM
Any particular cuisine in mind? Any particular part of town?

(dare we ask about the extremely good news? ;) )

yellow
Jul 5, 2006, 11:35 AM
Like Indian?

The Red Fort was AWESOME.

The bar downstairs was a little silly, but hey.. I'm old.

Applespider
Jul 5, 2006, 11:37 AM
J Sheekey's just off St Martin's Lane... fabulous food (fish particularly) and atmosphere and a top hatted doorman. You would have to book.

If you can do during the week or lunch, then you could try getting into Gordon Ramsay's on Royal Hospital Road. I managed to get a table for 3 weeks ahead through Toptable for a Monday lunch - £45 for 3 courses or £90 for the 7 course tasting menu.

If you fancy Thai, Sri Siam on Old Compton Street is lovely.

Blue Velvet
Jul 5, 2006, 11:40 AM
Any particular cuisine in mind? Any particular part of town?

Anywhere between Liverpool St. and Kensington, don't mind south of the river if it's handy to the tube.

Cuisine? Any really... am interested in all replies, but would prefer somewhere where I can get a table within the next 6-8 weeks.

If the Ivy wasn't so over-rated, then that would be a contender. Looking for somewhere special for a special evening for two (not romance, unfortunately).

Blue Velvet
Jul 5, 2006, 11:41 AM
(dare we ask about the extremely good news? ;) )

Big career/money boost. Want to thank the person who made it happen. :)

yellow
Jul 5, 2006, 11:42 AM
Big career/money boost.

Congrats BV! But it was all in a day's work..

Queso
Jul 5, 2006, 11:42 AM
I really like the Cinnamon Club behind Westminster Abbey. It's Indian based cuisine, but not like the standard Indian restaurant fare.

Here's some info (http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2895.htm)

FleurDuMal
Jul 5, 2006, 11:44 AM
Hmmm...depends on what price range your talking about, as well as what cuisine. I always look for the cheaper end of the scale because when you pay above a certain amount, the increase in quality is often barely noticable.

For Japanese, there's Satsuma in Soho, which is absolutely gorgeous. For Chinese, if you're really looking at the cheap end, CCK in Chinatown does a fantastic buffet for the price. Stockpot is always good for good ol' stodgy English food (good price too). There's a Morrocan restauarant near Panton Street Odeon which I can't remember the name of (I'm sure you'd find it on google), but it was an absolutely beautiful place with great food.

If you're looking for American food, Ed's just off Leicester Square is amazing. The best burger in London! And gorgeous milkshakes!

Mmmm...this is making me hungry :p

FleurDuMal
Jul 5, 2006, 11:46 AM
Sounds like you're looking for somewhere fancy then. Ignore my suggestions as all my knowledge of London comes out of the Time Out Cheap Eats guide (a bible for people like me with no money :o )

Blue Velvet
Jul 5, 2006, 11:48 AM
Hmmm...depends on what price range your talking about...

Somewhere special. Don't mind spending £150-250 on the evening for two incl. wine. It's a pretty big deal (to me, at least).

dcv
Jul 5, 2006, 11:49 AM
Is the City any good to you? I can recommend Coq D'Argent (http://www.conran-restaurants.co.uk/restaurants/coq/) (it's just above Bank at No.1 Poultry), the service is great and they have a nice rooftop garden, perfect for summer. Fairly pricey but not extortionate... I had my work leaving drinks/lunch there a couple of years ago and my bar bill was huge!

Le Pont de la Tour (http://www.conran-restaurants.co.uk/restaurants/lepont/) at Butlers Wharf is also very nice. Can be a little stuffy though, filled with old City suits.

Oh Congratulations! :)

lexus
Jul 5, 2006, 11:51 AM
Cipriani
Zuma
The Chinese place in The Dorchester
One of the two Nobu's
Lots of other great places.

gekko513
Jul 5, 2006, 11:53 AM
The only restaurant I've been to in London is the one you and Applespider took me to, so I don't have any other recommendations. :) I'd still like to congratulate you on making a big career/money boost. Well done. I'm happy for you.

skunk
Jul 5, 2006, 11:55 AM
Congratulations on your apotheosis! We hardly ever do restaurants, certainly no further east than Chelsea anyway, so I can't really help there.

Blue Velvet
Jul 5, 2006, 11:56 AM
Oh Congratulations! :)

Thanks! I had a hunch a couple of weeks ago hence the spontaneous iPod HiFi at the picnic... :D

Thanks for all suggestions so far. I'll look into all of them in detail later tonight after the football.

UKnjb
Jul 5, 2006, 11:58 AM
BV, trust me on this one like you've never trusted anyone else before! The absolute best place you will EVER go to for a special dinner is Le Cafe Du Marche (http://www.london-eating.co.uk/1645.htm) just off Charterhouse Square (near St Bart's and Smithfield Market). The food is awesome (you must have their speciality starter, the fish soup), the staff authentic French, the surroundings stunning (stripped brick walls) and, most times, there is a pianist comes in to play either classic or gentle jazz. It is THE best (obviously, in my own opinion) restaurant in the UK I have been to. Average price for two that I have paid (hmmm - too often) is £90. So well worth it.

Followed closely by RSJ's (http://www.rsj.uk.com/Home.htm) in Coin Street, near Waterloo Station (gets a load of MPs in for dinner). Different, much more subdued and starched table linen, but as a for instance, they have about 20 different Sancerres on the wine list.

Whatever, enjoy your triumphal dinner and ---- will you let us know where you went and what it was like?

Bon appetit! :)

gekko513
Jul 5, 2006, 11:59 AM
Congratulations on your apotheosis!
How do you know it's the climax (I had to look up the word). There could be even bigger and better career/money boosts waiting for her. ;)

skunk
Jul 5, 2006, 12:02 PM
How do you know it's the climax (I had to look up the word). There could be even bigger and better career/money boosts waiting for her. ;)a·poth·e·o·sis n.
1. Exaltation to divine rank or stature; deification.
2. Elevation to a preeminent or transcendent positionNothing final there, just a major step careerwise. Long may it continue!

dcv
Jul 5, 2006, 12:04 PM
BV, trust me on this one like you've never trusted anyone else before! The absolute best place you will EVER go to for a special dinner is Le Cafe Du Marche (http://www.london-eating.co.uk/1645.htm) just off Charterhouse Square (near St Bart's and Smithfield Market).

Oh Smithfields... that's just reminded me of another couple of good places: Smith's of Smithfield (http://www.smithsofsmithfield.co.uk/index_main.htm) and the Bleeding Heart (http://www.bleedingheart.co.uk/restaurant/index.php).

gekko513
Jul 5, 2006, 12:04 PM
Nothing final there, just a major step careerwise. Long may it continue!
Ah, OK, I'll drink to that then.

Long may it continue!

Queso
Jul 5, 2006, 12:42 PM
Ooh promotion. I missed that earlier whilst constructing my post. Congratulations BV.

I'll second DCV's recommendation of Coq D'Argent too. It's a similar menu to Quaglino's, but far less noisy whilst you're eating.

And if you're more into the Bohemian effect, go for Andrew Edmonds on Lexington St. in Soho. Great wine cellar.

Mord
Jul 5, 2006, 01:02 PM
this is probably not suitable but i'll say it anyway, but theirs a really nice vietnamese place on the harrow road around wilsden junction, it really kicks so much ass, fairly cheap and much nicer than more expencive places, with a party of 6 or so you'll spend about 70 quid or so.

Jaffa Cake
Jul 5, 2006, 01:24 PM
I can't suggest a single London eatery, but that's not going to stop me congratulating you on your good news, BV. Well done – I've no doubt it's well earned. :)

lexus
Jul 5, 2006, 01:55 PM
Oops I forgot my new favorite. Le Relais de Venise, L'entrecote.

Absolutely amazing.

Lau
Jul 5, 2006, 02:42 PM
I have no advice to offer, having eaten in many restaurants in London, none of them posh.

But huge congrats! Nicely done...:)

Applespider
Jul 5, 2006, 02:42 PM

Oooh... congrats! Given the number of hours that you put in at weekends etc, I'm not surprised... Very glad that it's been recognised!

Blue Velvet
Jul 5, 2006, 02:56 PM
Many thanks for all congrats... :) And yeah, I have put in the hours over the past few years but still, this comes as welcome news...

...because I'm worth it.

*tosses glossy tresses in slow-motion* :D

I'll check out all suggestions so far later on. Thanks all.

Macky-Mac
Jul 5, 2006, 04:22 PM
oh.....I've had several nice meals at the new restaurant at the National Portrait Gallery....nice view, nice atmosphere, excellent food

another place with excellent food is "ffiona's" near High Street Kensington, a bit more casual but still an excellent night out

FragTek
Jul 5, 2006, 04:27 PM
I just got back from London last week and one of the days I met up with one of my mates @ the Liverpool street station for lunch one day. He took me to this awesome grill just 2 blocks away, I believe the name of the place was Haz. Something along those lines. I ordered the mix grill and WOW was it good, I highly recommend the place if you can find it!

iRachel
Jul 5, 2006, 07:22 PM
I'm no help with the restaurant, as I'm on the wrong side of the pond, but I just wanted add my congratulations to BV! :D

Duff-Man
Jul 5, 2006, 09:43 PM
Duff-Man says...add my congrats to the list as well. I'm no real help on the restaurants as I've only been to London once...but it reminded me of the truly wonderful curry we ate on our last night there. We didn't know what we wanted really and ended up at this tiny little place tucked back from the street, on Edgeware, close to St. John's Wood...was the best food we had there all week....oh yeah!

Abstract
Jul 6, 2006, 01:07 AM
Yes, London has great Indian restaurants. :)

Anyway, congratulations on the job promotion and raise. :) Any of the suggestions with a French name instantly stirs excitement, if you wanted an opinion. ;) Sounds good and expensive........a decent treat for your friend/colleague.

Piarco
Jul 6, 2006, 02:35 AM
Is the City any good to you? I can recommend Coq D'Argent (http://www.conran-restaurants.co.uk/restaurants/coq/) (it's just above Bank at No.1 Poultry), the service is great and they have a nice rooftop garden, perfect for summer. Fairly pricey but not extortionate... I had my work leaving drinks/lunch there a couple of years ago and my bar bill was huge!

Dammit DCV that Coq D'Argent was going to be my recommendation! :p Its virtually worth going just for the roof terrace in summer.
Its got the stand alone restuarant and a separate bar, so no spill through.

And I'll add another Congrats BV!

Mr Skills
Jul 6, 2006, 03:19 PM
Chez Bruce is great for French cuisine. If you want to be really flash and go for a London/New Zealand hybrid, Les Providores is great. The Oxo Tower is perennially popular and has nice views. The Blue Elephant is amazing for Thai.

Blue Velvet
Jul 6, 2006, 03:31 PM
Chez Bruce is great for French cuisine. If you want to be really flash and go for a London/New Zealand hybrid, Les Providores is great. The Oxo Tower is perennially popular and has nice views. The Blue Elephant is amazing for Thai.

Fab, thanks! Been to the Oxo Tower; it was superb. Thought I'd made up my mind until your post. :o

Better muse on this for another day or two, I think.

yellow
Jul 6, 2006, 03:38 PM
Oh hey... I ate at the OXO tower too. It was pretty good, if not touristy.
Which despite being a tourist at the time, I abhor.

Applespider
Jul 6, 2006, 05:01 PM
I think the OXO tower has gone downhill in recent years... wouldn't recommend it for special dinners any longer.

There is of course always the option of booking a table at Claridge's or the Dorchester which means you get all the fun of arriving with doorman etc

yellow
Jul 7, 2006, 09:22 AM
It's been a while. I haven't been to sunny London in 3 years :(

geese
Jul 7, 2006, 09:56 AM
Personal recommendation: Souk round the corner from Leicester Sq tube. Morrocan place, although i'm not sure its that posh. Its great for a more partying atmosphere though.

If you really want to impress you friend, I can recommend a very good Weatherspoons pub in Angel:D

Sesshi
Jul 7, 2006, 10:10 AM
I think the OXO tower has gone downhill in recent years... wouldn't recommend it for special dinners any longer.

There is of course always the option of booking a table at Claridge's or the Dorchester which means you get all the fun of arriving with doorman etc

I go to the Dorchester (Grill) for myself/friends and occasionally entertaining, Claridges (entertaining) and the Savoy (ditto, although occasionally with mates), all quite often. I like all of them and would probably recommend the Dorchester the most for a special occasion because there's more of a sense of occasion than at the Savoy.

If you like your wines however the Savoy is a good place to go.

Generally I'm usually prepared to spend £2~300 a head over the course of a nice meal and a good wine at all of these places. I think if you start with a glass of champagne, have a one or two bottles of decent wine and either the tasting menu (if offered, I'd say take it... tasting menus are brilliant for special occasions) or a selection of nice dishes I would say you're probably looking at £3-400 for two, although the Dorchester will probably work out less.

I'd say you're probably worth it ;) If you don't do this sort of thing often it's kind of something that you remember. Better than a 'better-than-average' restaurant for things like your situation I'd say.

Jesus
Jul 7, 2006, 10:22 AM
The Wolsey, in piccadily, just by albemarle street and the ritz, exceedingly good food, service, decor, atmosphere, everything. Highly recommended.

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/3771.htm for more info