PDA

View Full Version : Airport, kernel panic, ibook

disconap
Jul 5, 2006, 01:59 PM
Anyone come across this? My Airport Extreme card in my G4 ibook just randomly started causing kernel panics. I was uploading stuff to our ftp server and the laptop crashed, and ever since it just won't boot with the airport card in, it reaches the Apple/Unix Circle screen, then has the kernel panic screen. In single user, it has the lovely "kernel panic, we're holding here" message once I exit. Any way to get it working again, or is the card just scrap?

EDIT: It boots fine without the card, though it has frozen once or twice (always during the boot, never in use).

yellow
Jul 5, 2006, 02:01 PM
Have you tried pulling/reseating the card?

disconap
Jul 5, 2006, 02:19 PM
Yup. Pulled it, laptop worked fine. Replaced/reseated, kernel panic.

I did an archive install of 10.3 as well. Didn't sort out anything. I'm going to try a blank install next, when I have time (probably tonight), but I don't see how it could help.

yellow
Jul 5, 2006, 02:24 PM
If you have a vanilla install and it's fine w/o the card and fubars with the card, then your only recourse is to hit an Apple Repair Center and get it replaced (if under warranty), or have a buy a new one.

Let's just hope it's not the connector on the logic board.

disconap
Jul 10, 2006, 05:50 PM
It was something in the kernel, as a clean install and update cured it...

yellow
Jul 11, 2006, 09:23 AM
Odd. Glad you got it worked out.

ilyfuzz
Mar 7, 2009, 12:00 AM
i believe this is due to the built in airport card on the 1.33 - 1.42 models overheating due to its placement next to the heat sink (less than a 1/4 inch). try running with the keyboard and metal plate off and a fan blowing on airport card.