PDA

View Full Version : iBook Updates?

MacRumors
Mar 5, 2003, 09:06 PM
MacOSRumors claims (http://www.macosrumors.com/) iBook updates are a month off or more... with possibilities of enclosure updates.

An anonymous and unconfirmed MacRumors submission, however, claims that dealers are being told to "sell off" current stocks of iBooks... in anticipation of new models featuring Airport Exreme, optional Bluetooth, and Audio In. These new machines are expected to continue to use the G3 Processor.

skymaXimus
Mar 5, 2003, 09:34 PM
Will we actually see the 1ghz G3 ... I never would have guessed. If they keep putting them in the iBooks, its just a matter of time.

phampton81
Mar 5, 2003, 09:43 PM
I used to visit macosrumors exclusively, that was until I realized macrumors existed, I have not looked back once. I was and am still tired of these rumors off their site that go something like this

"We have some very exciting info on new (insert mac item here), we can't tell you much, but be prepared to be wowed. Expect this update in the next couple of months, or the near future."

timbloom
Mar 5, 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by skymaXimus
Will we actually see the 1ghz G3 ... I never would have guessed. If they keep putting them in the iBooks, its just a matter of time.

Apple's implied "policy" on consumer vs pro macs is that the consumer macs have to be slower and less featured than the pro machines. Considering that the new 12" PB isn't much faster than the current iBook, I really doubt we will see iBooks getting much faster till the 12" PB gets faster.

weev
Mar 5, 2003, 10:02 PM
Enclosure updates?

Does that mean they gonna bring back the clam.

I like clam :D

------
weev

ivtrk
Mar 5, 2003, 10:26 PM

Centris 650
Mar 5, 2003, 11:02 PM
I was really wondering when the new iBooks would come out and what processor they would be using. I'm not surprised that the iB would still use the G3 since the 12" PB is only a G4 867. I thing the only reason they may be doing the new enclosure is to sweeten the pot.

yzedf
Mar 5, 2003, 11:09 PM
I would say no AE with the iBook. No FW800 either. Just Bluetooth, and maybe a Superdrive (which if so, would prolly be a slot load, which would need a shell change to do). Maybe a speed bump, but I doubt it. Kinda hard to sell that the 867 12" PB is faster than 900 (or 866 or 850 even) iBook, and worth the extra coinage.

We shall see. But I doubt very soon.

n00bieriffic
Mar 6, 2003, 12:27 AM
I'm not going to say where I work, but just picture the largest retail chain to offer the full line of apple (hint, you can see cardboard Yao and Vern lifesize posters).

On monday we cleared our national warehouse of all iBook product. We have 0 open orders from Apple to get some more. We are also getting new brackets that are slightly larger than the old ones.

My guess would be speed increase to 1GHz, but still with G3 (And no complaints about it being hard to explain how a slower processor will give more performance. Ever heard of the "Megahertz Myth"?). Going from 14" to 15" display in top model, the same drive options, larger Hard drives and bluetooth upgrades. We are still getting Airport cards like crazy so I think they'll leave out the upgrade to extreme and of course no firewire 800. There will also be price drops since they will be trying to compete in the VERY popular sub $1400 market.

shadowfax
Mar 6, 2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
MacOSRumors claims (http://www.macosrumors.com/) iBook updates are a month off or more... with possibilities of enclosure updates.

what idiots! that's about as aspecific as you can possibly be. this is an utterly worthless rumor. of course they'll be updated, and the casing altered (though not necessarily in the immediately next update), in the future, almost guaranteed to be at least a month away, possibly 3 or 4; who knows? maybe more!

aafuss1
Mar 6, 2003, 04:05 AM
One thing Apple should include with theiBoo,, is a easy way to swap drives-like the 1400's ingenious latch based droive bay removal system. Maybe a metallic look is good-or a version with the X logo (the 10.2 versions) colours.

Squire
Mar 6, 2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by weev
Enclosure updates?

Does that mean they gonna bring back the clam.

I like clam :D

------
weev

I've been reading a lot of posts here lately. That, my friend, is the funniest.

Anyway, I also hope they release a wicked iBook. I cancelled my 12" PB order (had to wait an extra 3 weeks) and picked up a new 1 GHz iMac. (Gotta love instant gratification. It arrived the next day.)

I love it so much, in fact, that I already promised myself an iBook once they get updated. Stronger, lighter, faster, and cheaper would be nice.

Squire

pyrotoaster
Mar 6, 2003, 06:50 AM
While I wouldn't put much faith in a vague MOSR post, the iBook hasn't seen a major revision since the 14" model was introduced. A new enclosure wouldn't surprise me at all.

As for features, a 1 GHz processor would be nice, although I do see potential issues with the AlBook, there.

I think AirPort Extreme will be part of any new iBook. If Apple is serious about pushing this standard on us (I believe they are), they'll feature AE support. The reason there are still older AirPort cards flying around is because there are still many many people with pre-Extreme machines.

A SuperDrive would have to be BTO, and FW800 is out of the question.

I hope MOSR's generalized guess is right this time. New iBooks could be very cool.

Bear
Mar 6, 2003, 08:30 AM
As long as the iBook has a G3 processor, I don't think we'll be seeing the superdrive in it.

As for the timeframe, 6 months from the last update is May, so my guess is probably somewhere between the end of April and the end of May.

However, if iBook inventory is really low, we could see something sooner. However, the Apple Store still lists pretty quick shipment times for the iBook.

jethroted
Mar 6, 2003, 09:33 AM
I remember hearing rumors that there would be ibooks released in may with G4's. Does anyone think this is still gonna happen?

Centris 650
Mar 6, 2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by jethroted
I remember hearing rumors that there would be ibooks released in may with G4's. Does anyone think this is still gonna happen?

I really don't think they'll release a G4 iBook just yet. If they did I think it would have to hover around the 800 Mhz level or no higher than 867 Mhz. (Kinda like the iMac 1G and the pMac 1G) Though it would be nice to see a G4 iBook.

I've put off my iBook purchase and waiting to see what comes out. If it's just a small speed bump G3 I'll buy an older iBook at a lower price (12" 800, Combo) Though if the new iBooks are G4s weellllll,I might have to pinch my pennies and buy it. Let's wait and see.

Moxiemike
Mar 6, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Centris 650
I really don't think they'll release a G4 iBook just yet. If they did I think it would have to hover around the 800 Mhz level or no higher than 867 Mhz. (Kinda like the iMac 1G and the pMac 1G) Though it would be nice to see a G4 iBook.

I've put off my iBook purchase and waiting to see what comes out. If it's just a small speed bump G3 I'll buy an older iBook at a lower price (12" 800, Combo) Though if the new iBooks are G4s weellllll,I might have to pinch my pennies and buy it. Let's wait and see.

There will be NO and LET ME REPEAT NO g4 iBook anytime soon.

The reason the iMac and the Power Mac can coexist on similar Mhz levels is that the ESSENCE of the machine is VERY different?iMac is a self contained, all in one with monitor included, PowerMac is an expandable modular desktop machine.

Imagine a g4 iBook with a 12.1" screen, white body, Firewire, combo, 256mb of Ram, 30gb HD......$1299 versus the g4 Powerbook 12.1" screen, aluminum, Firewire, combo drive, 256 of RAM, 40gb HD. $1799.

Christ. It's pretty much the same thing.

geez.

RLB
Mar 6, 2003, 02:29 PM
I would be skeptical of using "inventory" as a guide as 5gb ipods have literally been gone for 2 months and the others hard to find and still no updates; however, it is a good sign and I hope I am wrong.

Centris 650
Mar 6, 2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
There will be NO and LET ME REPEAT NO g4 iBook anytime soon.

The reason the iMac and the Power Mac can coexist on similar Mhz levels is that the ESSENCE of the machine is VERY different?iMac is a self contained, all in one with monitor included, PowerMac is an expandable modular desktop machine.

Imagine a g4 iBook with a 12.1" screen, white body, Firewire, combo, 256mb of Ram, 30gb HD......$1299 versus the g4 Powerbook 12.1" screen, aluminum, Firewire, combo drive, 256 of RAM, 40gb HD. $1799.

Christ. It's pretty much the same thing.

geez.

Ooookay....:rolleyes: Remember this Apple we are talking about and the "Year of The Laptop". Sheesh. I doubt we'll see a G4 iBook but it's nice to dream.

Sun Baked
Mar 6, 2003, 02:56 PM
I just thought it is strange since the PowerBook 12 is in reality the G4 iBook everyone has been waiting for, it uses the form factor, layout and chipset (Intrepid) that you would expect in an iBook -- and it has the G4.

Should be interesting to see what will happen to the iBook now, since the Intepid chipset will basically give it a PowerBook 12/iMac feature set -- even if they do use the G3.

twelve
Mar 6, 2003, 03:32 PM
they need to have L3 cache and a PC slot. Apple really needs to release a laptop under 2000 for audio people.

tsunake
Mar 6, 2003, 04:05 PM
Does it seem at all possible to anyone else that we will see the end of the iBook and in its place we'll get a nifty-cool tablet type device?

It doesn't make sense to have a 12 inch pb and a 12 inch iBook..

MaxArturo
Mar 6, 2003, 04:18 PM
I want to see the end of the iBook and the introduction of the ChiBook. For Chinese people.

shadowfax
Mar 7, 2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by MaxArturo
I want to see the end of the iBook and the introduction of the ChiBook. For Chinese people.

why not just put some chinese art on your ibook? i have seen such things done.

when i thought ChiBook, though, i thought Chia pet.

maka
Mar 7, 2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by twelve
they need to have L3 cache and a PC slot. Apple really needs to release a laptop under 2000 for audio people.

Is the L3 so important for audio? I think the 12" PB must be fast enough... I'm planning on getting one along with a MOTU interface for Logic Audio.

bryng
Mar 7, 2003, 04:12 AM
Interestingly, I have just had my current model iBook in for repairs. The logic board died :( and had to be replaced.

First time around Apple supplied a 700 MHz Board (for an 800 MHz iBook :mad: :mad: :mad: ). So I sent it straight back in (I can definitely say that there is a BIG difference between how the 700 and 800 MHz iBooks run, by the way...).

Second time around, Apple sent a board that...get this...had a battery connector not seen on any current or recent model of Apple laptop.

Could be a fabrication error, of course. Could also be a spare part for a laptop that hasn't been released yet... :cool:

I'm not drawing any conclusions, but it was certainly an interesting incident...

twelve
Mar 7, 2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by maka
Is the L3 so important for audio? I think the 12" PB must be fast enough... I'm planning on getting one along with a MOTU interface for Logic Audio.

performance tests on software show people doing audio stuff getting a huge boost in perfomance with the L3 cache. ibooks with a larger cache beat powerbooks with a faster processor and less cache. it does depend on the software of course. logic audio is altevic enhanced i believe so you should get pretty good performance on the 12 albook (though most of the mac audioheads i know were extremely dissapointed it did not have a bigger cache). A lot of audio people i know are switching to pcs now.

maka
Mar 7, 2003, 11:12 AM
Maybe they're also switching because of the lack of VST support from Apple and Emagic? It'd be nice if the new ibook would be a good machine for audio work, I hope so, because I was planning on getting one too, for myself. (The 12"PB is for a small audio company I want to start with my friends) I've always loved the ibook, but never made the plunge... and my B&W G3 350 is getting a bit old (although it runs Jaguar surprisingly well)

twelve
Mar 7, 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by maka
Maybe they're also switching because of the lack of VST support from Apple and Emagic?

no most are switching because they can get a better performance for a cheaper buck. VST has options on OS X already including Cubase SX and already a Free VSTi Host has been released in which the audio can be routed to logic (though a pain for the novice i hear) and it is only a matter of time before a rewire version is released so the VST issue should dissapear.

Xerov
Mar 7, 2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by bryng
Second time around, Apple sent a board that...get this...had a battery connector not seen on any current or recent model of Apple laptop.

Could be a fabrication error, of course. Could also be a spare part for a laptop that hasn't been released yet... :cool:

I'm not drawing any conclusions, but it was certainly an interesting incident...

Gotta Picture?

bryng
Mar 7, 2003, 07:50 PM
No, unfortunately not. Though a picture was apparently sent back to Apple, who haven't been willing to say what it was they sent in place of my logic board.

JSRockit
Mar 8, 2003, 07:47 AM

That would be the 12" pBook...and don't even tell me it doesn't work for audio...because it is the only Apple laptop I own. The L3 Cache is a relatively new option introduced a little under a year ago in laptops...what did audio people do before that? The DVI TiBook was the first Apple laptop with an L3 Cache...not to mention that no PC laptop that I know of has an L3 Cache...and people use those for audio as well.

JSRockit
Mar 8, 2003, 07:55 AM
I believe we will see an updated iBook somewhere between May and August. When it is updated, it will be redesigned with very minimal speed bumps. I think AE and Bluetooth will be added, but no SuperDrive, FW 800, or G4. The G4 will no longer be used soon (if 970 speculation is true)...and the G3 is made by the same people as the 970. SuperDrives and FW800 will be added when they are the norm...not when they are cutting edge.

twelve
Mar 8, 2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by JSRockit
That would be the 12" pBook...and don't even tell me it doesn't work for audio...because it is the only Apple laptop I own. The L3 Cache is a relatively new option introduced a little under a year ago in laptops...what did audio people do before that? The DVI TiBook was the first Apple laptop with an L3 Cache...not to mention that no PC laptop that I know of has an L3 Cache...and people use those for audio as well.

yeah but PCs have raw power to waste a 12 pb, the macs need everything they can get to help performance. audio applications demand more these days and people are now working with multiple audio apps open at the same time. if the app code isn't altivec enhanced the mac performance is barely adequate at best.

JSRockit
Mar 8, 2003, 10:54 PM
yeah but PCs have raw power to waste a 12 pb, the macs need everything they can get to help performance. audio applications demand more these days and people are now working with multiple audio apps open at the same time. if the app code isn't altivec enhanced the mac performance is barely adequate at best.

Yeah...with multiple audio apps open, you do need as much ram as you can get...640mb is minimal...but the 12" pBook is really no sloutch...it has been great...much better than barely adequate...but I have been using a computer only system/studio since a 233mhz PII...and I rarely work in more than one app at a time. Just want to point out that alot of groups, producers, studios are still using older macs...not only the newest stuff...so, I don't it is as dramatic as you are making it out to be.

aethier
Mar 9, 2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by JSRockit
I believe we will see an updated iBook somewhere between May and August. When it is updated, it will be redesigned with very minimal speed bumps.

sounds like something mosr would say...;)

aethier

JSRockit
Mar 9, 2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by aethier
sounds like something mosr would say...;)

aethier

Unfortunately...I could not shed new light on this subject, but still wanted to weigh in....is that ok?

ncbill
Mar 10, 2003, 08:30 AM
No one's mentioned the obvious reason for no G4 in the next iBook revision - too much heat.

The G3 is rated at 5W max

The current G4 (on a .18 micron process) consumes up to 30W (@1Ghz)
(>20W @800Mhz)

The iBook's polycarb case simply can't disspiate the extra heat.

Think about how hot the AlBook 12" gets with a metal case as the heat sink!

At the end of this year G4s (.13 micron) are supposed to be available in quantity (sampling this month), so it is possible that a G4 will be in the Dec/Jan iBook revision.