PDA

View Full Version : How to play video from PowerMac onto TV - please help! :)

JasonGough
Jul 13, 2006, 11:25 AM
I've just moved house, and i'd love to be able to watch the video i have on my Mac on the TV in the living room.

Is there any hardware / connections that will alow me to get quicktime videos up on my TV?

Please help me out!

generik
Jul 13, 2006, 11:48 AM
What kind of inputs does your TV take?

HDMI? component?

JasonGough
Jul 13, 2006, 11:57 AM
sorry, should have said..

its a fairly old TV, so just Scart & those little yellow Video leads you get.

Idealy, i'd like to be able to use FrontRow to select my videos rather than the horrible interfaces i've seen on some PCtoTV devices...

I can use somthing like KeySpan to control FrontRow from a different room, so i'd like a simple graphics connection converter rather than an entire interface...

generik
Jul 13, 2006, 11:59 AM
I think that can get potentially hairy.

First you'd need a DVI-VGA adapter which probably came with your machine.
Then there is also a VGA - component convertor which does costs quite a pretty penny.

That's my take on the problem though, others might have better ideas, good luck.

mjstew33
Jul 13, 2006, 12:05 PM
Isn't there an adapter from apple, just for the iMacs, iBooks/MacBooks and PowerBooks/MacBook Pros have an adapter that goes into composite video and s-video?

JasonGough
Jul 13, 2006, 12:36 PM
wicked, i just found this!

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/1154041/wo/Qs6laHWMpE413un4caE2CaeKIuC/6.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.3.3

its a DVI to video adaptor, it sounds like the idea thing for me! Connects my mac straight to the yellow composite input on the front of my TV :)

Has anyone on here used it or heard anything about it?

Mord
Jul 13, 2006, 12:44 PM
try to get an S-video to scart lead, it'll give much better quality, but for now any composite lead will do, even and audio lead.