Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Apologies in advance for a newbie question :) Got my new 12" PB last night (first mac ever!) and came across a bit of a problem.. details below:

system specs: 12" PB, 640MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I installed the latest version of VLC (I think it's 0.5.1a?).. worked just fine on the first DVD I put in. then I tried playing some region 1 discs (our local region is 4 here in Australia)..Well, after I spent 30mins working out how to turn off DVD-autoplay.. DVD player kept starting and saying that I didn't have the region set correctly and would then eject the disc! After I disabled that, VLC kept throwing up errors when I tried to play them.. then I put in a region 4 DVD - this time it played the video but there was no audio (with little error boxes popping up all the time).

That's odd, I thought. Ah well, just trash the app and reinstall, should work right? Uhhh.. no. Now the icon just keeps bouncing and then stops responding (but stays in the dock). I tried installing the last 2-3 versions, exact same thing.

Any ideas why this might be happening? I used diskmanager (err.. whatever it's called, in the utilities) to repair permissions.. still nothing. everything else is working fine.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
try removing VLC's preference file. either in ~/Library/Preferences/ or /Library/Preferences

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
thanks timbloom! that worked perfectly.. I was looking for the prefs in /library/preferences and didn't think to look in users/etc/library/preferences

:D

learning curves are GREAT!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.